Chapter 4


Movies are highly known for their theatrics, and the ability to draw the audience in, captivating them with emotion greater than everyday life ever could. Action, drama, and heartache were the things people loved most while viewing a show, but they were exactly what Buffy hated about her life. All the exits were locked, so she was forced to sit. In chairs that had numerous stains from spilled drinks and food, the soles of her shoes stuck to the sticky floor, she watched. She watched the life of a girl spiral out of control, and no matter how much popcorn she threw at the screen, or yelled to the characters, it never ceased, just continued to play.

It was inevitable. The fact she had to apologize is what hurt most. How could she have gone against the people who were always there for her? They could have been hurt, or worse, killed by her own hands. However, Buffy’s psychological path was cleared now and it was time to make amends. Taking a deep breath to calm the butterflies exploding in her stomach, as she finished the distance of the staircase, coming in full view of the living room.

Dawn was sprawled out across the couch cushions, resting her head on a pillow that sat on Willows lap. The two girls had been watching something on T.V., when Buffy came down, it was paused as they looked at one another. The silence seemed to stretch for years, but only lasted a matter of seconds.

“How are you feeling?”

Willow breaking the awkward silence was good. It meant she didn’t have to, but now it was her turn to speak, crap. “I feel better. Not so much with the raving lunatic, as much with the really sorry sister and best friend.” Okay, it was out, the moment she was dreading, except now she had to wait for the response. This was undeniably worse. Though, when she received two smiles there was a rush of relief running through her.

“It was the demon who made you see those things and think you were crazy… You didn’t know what you were doing,” Willow offered.

“Yeah, and it doesn’t matter, ‘cause your all better now,” Dawn added as she sat up. “But if this happens again, we’re so tying you up and locking you in the closet.”

Buffy cracked a smile, “What if I get out?” This felt normal, taking jabs at each other, keeping the situation light and free of tension.

It was the red heads turn to throw a comment out, “Then we’ll have Spike knock you out again.” All the girls snickered, once the quiet returned, she got serious, “I’m glad you’re okay, it was getting pretty bad there.”

“I know. A-and I really am sorry guys, but thanks to you, I’m back and ready to Bronze it. Waddya say? My treat.”

“I don’t have any plans,” Willow’s cheerful grin turned to a frown, “It’s Friday night. Why don’t I have plans?”

Shrugging a shoulder, Buffy asked, “Does bringing mental stability back count as plans?”

The witch shook her head, “Not on a social scale.”

Looking over at her little sister, “Dawn? You in?”

Dawn scrunched her face some, “Janice and I are suppose to hang… but if-”

“No. Go out. Have fun,” she thought about what she had just told the younger girl, “Safe, non-stealing fun.”

Dawn just rolled her eyes as she strolled past to the door, “Yeah, yeah.” Without any further exchanging of words, she left, leaving her sister and Willow alone.

Buffy was the first to speak this time, “I’m just gonna go change, then we’ll go. Did you want to call Xan? He could use some fun time out.”

Nodding eagerly, Willow replied, “Sure, I’ll give him a call while you’re getting dressed.”

“Okay,” she turned to go to her room.

“Buffy?” The Slayer looked back. “Where’s Spike?”

Why did she keep mentioning him? “He fell asleep; I didn’t think I should wake him…” Because then I’d have to talk with him.

It wasn’t her place to say anything more about the guy upstairs, so Willow flashed a smile before moving for the phone. “I’ll be waiting down here.” Buffy took the sign and rushed off to get ready.

****

Trying to be considerate of the sleeping vampire, she turned the knob and pushed the door open as quietly as possible. When she stepped in, the room was empty. The only semblance that he’d been there at all was the ruffles left behind on the comforter atop her bed. The window was open, a slight breeze billowed the curtains up in a whimsical fashion. Classic. Out the window. Spike left secretly out my window.

After redressing into her favorite pair of jeans and pink halter top with diagonal frills, she examined herself in the mirror that sat in the corner of the room. “You’re going to go out. You’re going to have fun at The Bronze with your friends. And most important, you are not going to think about him.” Giving yourself direct orders in front of the mirror? Normal people do that, right?

****

Xander was busy refreshing their drinks at the bar, while the girls sat at a table near the dance floor. An alternative band called Joke of the Party was currently on stage. Each member had tattoos covering most of their body parts and so many piercings Buffy lost count. The noise coming from their instruments wasn't what most people called music, but the energy they supplied was worth watching.

They had been there nearly forty minutes now. Time spent with her fellow do-gooders was long overdue, and tonight was like it had been before she died, filled with jokes and naughty moves on the boogie floor. Between laughing so hard she almost spit her drink out, and dancing in the middle of the floor, she kept a close eye on the crowd. Watching for any sort of wicked creature to show, or a certain lurking vampire.

“You think he’s gonna show?” Willow shouted her question over the loud racket.

Was she that obvious? “Who?” Better to be nonchalant.

“You know who, Spike.” As a friend, she had to be brave, be bold, “You’ve been looking for him all night.”

“No, I-vampires. Part of the job, scouting out places like this,” she sucked at excuses. “They’re breeding grounds, remember?”

This was her chance to talk with Buffy about what happened earlier in her room, Xander wasn’t around, so she took the opportunity. “Speaking of Spike…”

No, it’s just you. Trying to act uninterested, “Yeah?”

“Well before, he was the one who had to knock you unconscious,” Buffy didn’t reply so she carried on, “Xander brought up that he must have had a huge horrible headache after hitting you, but Spike didn’t even wince.” The Slayer knew where this was going, but kept silent till her friend was finished. “And that made me think, what if his chip stopped working?! Maybe now he can hurt humans, but he doesn’t know it. Or maybe he does and he’s going around killing them on the side! Or-”

Silence wasn’t always golden. “That’s a lot of ‘maybe’s’ Will,” abruptly cutting the red head off. “Plus, you’re wrong. It does work, the chip.”

Willow’s eyebrows drew together, “What?”

“The chip works. Just not on me.” Buffy gently shook her head from side to side, “I don’t know the technical stuff… but when you brought me back, it messed with my molecular level, enough to confuse Spike’s chip.”

“Can I offer you two fine ladies a drink?” The third member of their party returned, three red plastic cups balanced in hand.

The next thing to shoot from Willow's mouth was a lie, she felt bad, but it needed doing, "I just saw a vampire leave with that girl!"

"Time to suit up?" Xander puffed out his chest as if he was Superman, scanning the club for potential danger.

Buffy's spidey-sense wasn't tingling, and she'd been staking out the place all night, there weren't any vampires. "Willow, I don't thi-"

"You should go, make sure she's okay," The witch persisted. Then while Xander was still turned around, she tilted her head towards the entrance with a face that said, 'Go on.'

Buffy's eyes widened as the meaning of what Willow was suggesting washed over her, "Right. Damsel in distress. Got it." Then mouthing, she added, 'Thanks, Will.' Distractions were definitely welcomed and much appreciated.

The boy spun around, "So are we going after the big lug? I've got my trusty-"

“Actually, I think I’m going to patrol,” standing while putting some money on the table. “It’s just, evil never sleeps, ya know?” Without waiting for objections from Xander, she was off to patrol. Restfield seemed like a great place to start.

****

The last hour had been spent sitting on the ratty chair in his crypt, thinking of all the possibilities and making all the assumptions his mind could conjure. There was only one that made a lick of sense, but at this point no theory could be discarded, as there was nothing to go off of. Leaving Buffy’s house, without her knowing was important, until he sussed this thing out. He needed answers, and he knew just where he’d find them. Ripping the door open, marching off in the grass toward town, determined to figure out what the hell was going on.

After waking in Buffy’s room, he’d seen somebody he hadn’t seen in over a century, but yet had never forgotten who he was. The man looking back at him had a smooth complexion with sharp features, deep azure eyes, and one of the most striking colors of hair. Reflections were a funny thing.

Spike’s first reaction had been to stare in astonishment, relishing in his devilishly handsome good looks, but he was blown away at the fact he could see himself, in a mirror none the less. Approaching closer, he noticed something else, much more subtle, but rather significant, he was taking in considerable amounts of air. Breathing, and not because he just like to have that human normalcy, no, it was involuntary. He hadn’t apprehended the full of it until he reached up with his fingertips, hovering over his heart before pressing his palm flat against his chest. A light thump resounded against his hand, and then it hit him. Spike was no longer a member of The Walking Dead Society.