Summary: Post ‘Grave’ AU. Strange things are happening in Sunnydale, more dead bodies than usual are showing up all over town and there is a Prophecy about an Ancient demon rising. But what has that demon got to do with Spike? Buffy/Spike, Xander/Anya overtones. R.

Disclaimer: Buffy, Spike and any other character nicked from the Buffyverse do not belong to me, they belong to Joss.

AN~ The usual, idea wouldn't get out of my head. Dark mood... please review.

Juggernaut

Prologue


It was dark and moist where he sat, with his legs pulled up in front of him, arms circling his body, both physically and mentally trying to hold himself together. His head was bowed, forehead resting against torn knees as tears cascaded down his face. His entire body shook as another barrage of images entered his mind.

It's all my fault…

"It's all my fault…" his quiet, broken voice echoed in the silence of the cave. He could hear them. Victims, his victims, crying out in pain, begging for mercy. But he didn't give them any mercy, he didn't let up his torture. Instead, he laughed at them.

He laughed in their faces. He laughed at their pain. At the pain that he was causing them. His hands were coated with their blood. The blood of women and children, even babies, newborns. He'd laughed as he ripped their throats out and drank down their precious life force, feasting on it. He'd enjoyed it as he ripped off women's clothes and plundered them.

But now he cried for them, for their pain. But now he could see them. Every man, woman and child he'd ever harmed, seen, tortured. He could see them in his mind as clear as day. He could hear their voices, screaming in pain, cursing him, and his raucous laughter at their useless pleas.

I should have helped them… he thought.

Then a face appeared in his mind. A beautiful face, with green eyes, and golden blond hair framing her features. One minute she was laughing in a ray of light, then her face darkened and she was shouting something at him. Something he couldn't hear at first, but he could see the pain in her eyes. He'd hurt her, he'd hurt her real bad. He was a bad man, he deserved to be punished for the things that he did.

Then her voice became clear, and her words, each overlapped with another, chilled his already cold flesh.

"I could never be your girl!"

"You're an evil, disgusting thing!"

"Monster!"

Her words went round and round his head until he thought he was going to go insane. They rose in pitch until they were a wail, hurting his ears with the intensity. Other voices joined hers, and he was spinning in a whirlwind of blood, spikes, bodies, and fire.

His tears suddenly darkened, becoming blood. He brought his hands up to cover his ears, to try and block it all out. The whirlwind in his head reached fever pitch. But over it all, he could clearly hear her voice, shouting for him to stop, but just like with all the others, he didn't.

Her name passed his lips and bounced off the walls of the cave as another wave of his victim's cries and anger swept over him.

"Buffy…"

From the entrance to the cave, three figures watched in stony silence.

Tbc…