This shouldn’t be very hard.

All she had to do was walk through those doors and deliver the news that no one would be happy to hear. Just thinking about it brought more tears to her eyes.

But, she had already grieved. Now was the time to be strong for everyone else.

Finally, she had built the strength to walk through the large doors and into the law firm.

Deep breaths.

Stay calm.

Everything will be fine.


Except everything wasn’t fine.

Keeping herself calm, the young woman went to the desk where she saw a familiar face.

“Harmony,” the girl started toward the secretary. Before Harmony could answer, the woman continued to talk. “I need to speak to Angel. Now.”

Usually, the blond secretary would be bouncy and ask lots of questions. Not today.

Not when the young woman who was asking for Angel had her face stained with tears.

After Harmony finished telling Angel who was about to come up and see him, she nodded to the young woman, signaling she could go see him now.

The female took the elevator. She was too tired to take any stairs.

Too tired of crying. Too tired of grieving. Too tired of living.

Finally, after what seemed like an eternity in hell, the lift stopped at the correct floor and the young lady stepped out.

Without any hesitation, she made her way to Angel’s office door and opened it slowly.

Inside sat a room full of happy, laughing Wolfram and Hart employees. She remembered Fred, Wesley, Gunn, and of course Spike.

Oh, yes…she knew Spike was alive. Andrew had no choice but to tell everyone after the tragic incident.

The room’s laughter died down when they saw the broken woman standing with tears building up in her eyes.

“Willow?” Angel asked, concern evident in his voice. He stood up and quickly shuffled around the desk to get to her. The woman nodded slightly and accepted the hug he was giving her.

But she couldn’t cry.

Not now.

After a few agonizing minutes, Willow pulled away and straightened out her shoulder-length red hair.

The whole room waited with worried eyes as she fumbled with her hands, trying to find the right words.

“Red?” That was Spike. She wasn’t looking up at them right now, but she knew it was him talking to her. “What’s wrong?”

Lifting her gaze, Willow looked over at Angel, then back to Spike. “Oh, God…” She clamped her hand over her mouth as a sob escaped her throat.

Fred was at her side instantly, leading her to sit in a chair. “What’s wrong?” She asked the redhead, running a hand through the girl’s hair.

Finally regaining herself, Willow looked up and took a deep breath. “I’m so sorry, you guys. But, you know Buffy…she can be so…oh, God…”

Spike and Angel both had wide eyes as they waited for her to continue.

“Is she okay?” Spike asked in a small and weak voice. When Willow didn’t answer, Spike couldn’t help the way his voice cracked up. “Is she?”

Willow slowly shook her head ‘no’. “She’s gone.”


Never had two words that small hurt him so much.

She’s gone.

How could she be gone? She was Buffy. Even when she was gone she never stayed gone.

But this time it was a normal death you hear about everyday. No one could save her after the car accident in Rome. And no magics would be bringing her back.

She was really gone.

Spike thought over everything Willow had told them in Angel’s office.

Buffy had been in a car accident. The impact was on the driver’s side; Buffy had died instantly. Dawn had walked away with only a broken arm.

It wasn’t fair!

Buffy was the slayer…she’d fought for so long.

And now, what? The cause of death is a car accident?

It just wasn’t how she was supposed to go out.

Not like that.

As Spike sat alone in his room as he had for three hours now, he finally let all the tears fall.

Oh, God…she’s really gone.



Two weeks later

The funeral had been 5 days ago. They had decided to bury her in LA, not Rome. It wasn’t anything like she deserved, but it was the kind of funeral she would’ve wanted.

This was the second time they had to bury their beloved slayer.

And they knew.

They knew she wouldn’t be coming back to them.

Now Spike stood in front of the gravestone, hands in his pockets. Angel and the others had come to the cemetery with him to visit the gravesite, but they had left long ago.

This was killing him. Standing here, staring at her grave.

He thought about just waiting for the sun to rise, but she wouldn’t want that either.

She’d want him to continue the fight.

And he couldn’t deny her anything. Not even when she was dead.

“Good-bye, Buffy,” Spike whispered for the last time. He wouldn’t be coming back to visit this cemetery again.

This was the final time he’d have to say good-bye to her.


One year later

“How many are down, Peaches?” Spike questioned above the noise of the storm.

“We’ve lost Wesley,” he replied, but didn’t cry.

These past seven months had nothing to do with grieving, and everything to do with keeping themselves alive.

Seven months ago, something had happened. New demons from different dimensions started appearing. They were too strong, but the Fang Gang still kept trying.

Until one by one they were killed in the line of battle.

And now the only ones left were Angel and Spike.

Some of the slayers were dead now. If they all died, that would be the end of the slayer line forever. But, seeing as how there were still 28 of them left, that didn’t seem like a problem.

Spike squinted his eyes through the rain and saw multiple fights all around him. The battle hadn’t spread outside of LA yet, which was very good. They still had a chance to beat them back.

“Angel,” Spike put a hand out to stop Angel from running into the fight.

Angel turned to face Spike with an unreadable expression. Spike hardly ever used his name.

“Be careful,” he commanded in an expressionless tone. Angel nodded and Spike persisted. “I mean it. You don’t die today, understand?”

You would never guess that these were the same Spike and Angel that had been at each other’s throats. But after seven months of pure grief, they’d learn to depend on each other.

And, yeah, form some kind of a friendship.

With Angel’s nod, they both ran out, swords locked in their hands…

To start the battle that wouldn’t end for a lifetime.


(Yet another new one from me today. Okay, this is just the prologue of the story. The next chapter is going to skip waaay ahead to when Buffy gets back, and readers will be filled in on what happened during all those years I skipped.

This isn’t going to be one of my fluffy fics…it will have sweet moments, and it will be up Spuffy, obviously. I don’t know how dark and angsty it’s going to be…but I guess we’ll see. Don’t worry, I can’t write a story without a happy ending. :P lol. Well, please review.)