Chapter 1



“Did you know the island has no roads or cars?” Buffy moved around her room excitedly as she packed her suitcase. “I’m going to take a ton of pictures, I hope I won’t run out of film.”



“It’s too bad I can’t join you. Can’t you tell her that you need your trusty sidekick?” Willow asked, looking through the travel brochures Elizabeth had provided.



“I tried Will, but Elizabeth thinks the less will be the merrier.”



“Aren’t you worried? About Spike?”



“That bleached blonde idiot? What’s to worry about him? I’ll find him, tie him down somehow and then we’ll do the spell. I’ll do my baby-sitting duty part-time and I’ll scan the beaches for hotties on my time off. It’ll be great.” Buffy zipped up one suitcase and she pulled out another empty bag from her closet. “We’ll be gone for a month. How many pairs of underwear will I need?”



“Hotties? What about Angel? Heck, what about Drusilla? She won’t just let you steal her Spike.”



“Angel? Things haven’t been going too great with him lately. I still have to tell him about my trip…” Buffy sighed for a moment but she forced her excitement back, “And Drusilla? What about her? If she gets in my way, I’ll give her a few pokes from Mr. Pointy.” Buffy shrugged. “Can you believe I’m taking three bags of weapons? Giles is making me. God, just how much Holy Water does it take before the airport people get suspicious?”



“Probably just one bottle will do the trick,” Willow said confidently with a nod.



“Goody.” Buffy looked at her pile of suitcases and she smiled, “All packed and ready to go.”

***



“Angel, I came by to say…uh, bye.” Buffy walked into the mansion and she found her boyfriend sitting on the stone floor reading a novel.



“Where are you going?” Angel asked, his eyes never leaving the page of his book. Buffy could hear concern and surprise in his voice.



“To Brazil on a Slayer mission, I’ll be gone for about a month and I need you to help out with patrolling while I’m gone.”



“A month?” Angel got to his feet. “That’s a long time, Buffy. Why are you going to Brazil? What about school?”



Buffy blinked, realizing that her mother, Joyce had said the exact words to her the day before. “Angel, I have to go, the Council needs me. You know it’s my job--.”



“I’m sorry, I don’t mean to nag,” Angel said, sulking into a corner.



“No, you weren’t.” Buffy stepped forward to comfort him but he walked farther away from her. “I’m taking all my homework,” she said sternly, upset that he had dismissed her. “I think it’ll be good for me. I’ll have time to think about college and… us.”



“Us?”



“Angel,” Buffy pushed her way in front of him. “Stop avoiding me. I can’t do this anymore. I can’t touch you. I can barely be in the same room with you. You act as if you’re afraid of me.”



“Buffy… I’m afraid of myself, what I’ll do if you’re near me… I’m afraid that if you touch me, I won’t be able to control myself. You’ll get hurt.”



“And us pretending to be kind-of-together, that’s hurting me. What I want from you I can never have. You don’t need me to take care of you anymore--.”



“So that’s it? Are you really going to think about us during your vacation or have you already made up your mind? You’re breaking things off so you can be free in Brazil--.”



“Angel, that’s not fair.”



“There’s got to be a way we can still see each other. I’ll try harder.” Angel grabbed her hand as if to prove his point. “Please, Buffy.”



“There is: tell me that you don’t love me. If you can do that, we’ll be friends, just friends with only friendly touching and no kisses and definitely no temptation for sex. Tell me that Angel and we’ll see each other.”



Angel said nothing, still holding her hand.



“I need to go or I’ll miss my flight.” Buffy pulled away and she made her way out of the mansion.

***



“What do you know about Spike?” Elizabeth asked after they had settled in the seats on the plane.



“He’s annoying and a major pain in my ass.”



“Oh? About how many times did you and he fight?”



“Off and on all last year. He crashed Parent Teacher Night because he wanted to kill me. The Night of St. Vigius or something like that…” Buffy smirked as Elizabeth took out her notebook and started scribbling down everything that Buffy had said.



“The Night of what?”



“St. Vigius. You’re on your own if you don’t know how to spell it.”



“I’ll look it up later. Please tell me more.”



“Ok, well, my mom hit Spike with an axe and he ended up running away like a little girl,” Buffy chuckled. “And then I heard he fried some uber vamp, a little kid.”



“Ah yes, the Anointed One,” Elizabeth nodded.



“From there he was just a pest. Spike and Dru—that’s his skanky ho of a girlfriend. They popped up all the time. I think he really had an obsession with killing a Slayer. He killed two and he wore it like a badge or something. He’d brag all the time. God, how I wanted to kill him… Anyway then there was Angel,” Buffy said his name and she felt a pang in her heart. “I’m sure you know about him…”



“Yes, yes I do,” she blushed, hinting that she knew all about Buffy’s past.



“Spike actually helped me stop him…in his own twisted way. I guess Angelus was hitting on Drusilla and Spike flipped. He wasn’t much help in the end really but we did have a pact. He ended up taking Dru and leaving me to fight Angel alone.” Buffy frowned. “That was the last time I saw the big jerk.”



“Hm…he made a pact with the Slayer? How truly remarkable. He never ceases to amaze me.”



“I guess. Whatever you say,” Buffy shrugged before putting on her headphones and reclining back in her seat.

***



“Wow,” Buffy stepped out of the tiny airport on wobbly legs and in awe. “It’s beautiful here.”



“I agree. William the Bloody seems to have nice taste in vacation spots.”



“Where’s the hotel that we’re staying in? I hope it’s kinda far because I really need to work out my legs from the long flight.”



“We’re staying in the lodge and I believe it’s in that direction,” Elizabeth pointed.



Buffy nodded and she took off, carrying all her luggage in ease, not bothered by their weight or bulk.



“Ah, Buffy,” Elizabeth called out but Buffy was already feet ahead of her. “Right, I’ll just catch up.”

***



“This will be the most difficult part of our task: capturing Spike. The island only houses a handful of people at a time so--.”



“Why would a vampire come to such a small island? It sounds like he’d have a really tiny food supply…” Buffy wondered as she stared out the window of their lodge. It was like a tiny house with two large bedrooms, a living room, dining room and kitchen. Buffy loved where they were staying but it was the view that left her breathless. From the living room where she sat with Elizabeth, Buffy could see the beach, the ocean and a number of palm trees. “But then again, it is Spike and he’s not the brightest of the light bulb family.”



“I have reason to believe that Spike and Drusilla are only using this island for sleeping during the day and that they travel to hunt and feed. There’s a heavily populated area that can be reached by boat and it’s known for having quite a lot of demon activity.”



“Got ya, that makes sense. So when can I get on the boat?”



“The next group leaves in an hour, you can go then or you can wait until after sunset.”



“The earlier the better; the early Buffy always gets her man. And I’ll be able to scope out the area too. So I’m guessing there’s nightclubs and bars over there?”



“Of course,” Elizabeth nodded. “Those are the best locations for getting disoriented victims.”



“Ok, I’m going to change.”

***



“Hm.” Buffy looked in the mirror and she studied the cross that hung from her neck. “I can’t believe I broke up with him…” Buffy touched the necklace and tears filled in her eyes. On the flight Buffy had thought about Angel a lot and she decided she was grateful for Elizabeth and her timing. Buffy was relieved to have a month to be alone and away from her friends, away from Angel.



“God, I just want to have fun here, I so need some Buffy Time.”

***



Buffy walked out of the lodge just as the sun was setting. She’d spent more time than she had planned dressing and Elizabeth wanted to brief her many times over what she was to do with Spike once she’d found him.



Knock him out or drug him, it doesn’t sound that difficult, Buffy thought as she walked past one of the island’s bars.



“I’m not putting up with this anymore! You’re making out with a bloody chaos demon! Are you fucking blind!?”



“You’ve got to be kidding me…” Buffy hid behind the edge of the building and she watched as Spike and Drusilla fought. “This is way too easy.”



“No, I’m not blind,” Drusilla yelled back. She got up from the bench, leaving the chaos demon behind. “And if you what to leave, fine!”



“What else can I do, pet? I’ve given you everything: beautiful jewels, beautiful dresses with beautiful girls in them but nothing makes you happy! I’ve got an unlife you know!”



“Spike,” Drusilla’s voice was softer and she reached for his arm. “You don’t make me happy anymore. You’ve gone soft. You made a truce with the Slayer.”



Buffy wrinkled her nose at the disgust Drusilla had put behind saying her name. “Ho,” Buffy whispered.



“It didn’t mean anything. I did it for you, baby, I wanted to protect you. I was thinking about you the entire time. That bitch means nothing to me.”



“It doesn’t matter what you say, Spike. You’ve changed. You’re not enough demon for me.”



“What?”



“We can stay friends.” Drusilla reached up to pet his face but he pushed her back.



“Oh, please—you’ll be sorry!”



Buffy watched as Spike ran off in an angry huff.

***



I’m so the last person that he’s going to want to see, Buffy thought as she neared the building Spike had entered. I can’t believe Drusilla was with that—thing…Spike may not be the handsomest but at least he doesn’t have the antlers and the slime. Ewww.



Buffy peeked through the window and she could see Spike throwing things and she could also hear his muffled screams.



“Great.” Buffy sighed and she wondered how much longer it would take before he’d be looking for the nearest drink.



“Oooh, if I could get him to pass out…”



“You have got to be fucking kidding me!”



“I-I can explain!” Buffy shrieked in surprise as Spike pulled her into the building.



“You! You’re ruining my life!”



Buffy ducked as a chair was hurled at her head. “Spike-I didn’t do anything!”



Spike growled, wiping the tears from his eyes and shifting into his vampire guise. “That doesn’t matter, Dru thinks you did and you need to pay for that.”



She dug in her purse, desperately looking for a stake or for the needle Elizabeth had given her as Spike charged at her. When she couldn’t find anything, Buffy dropped her bag to the floor and she lunged at Spike.

***



“I. Don’t. Want. To. Hurt. You.” Buffy’s words were broken up as she pounded her fists into his abdomen and face. “Much.”



Spike grunted in response to every blow and he barely fought back. After several minutes of fighting, Buffy only had suffered a small injury to her thigh.



“What’s wrong with you?” Buffy demanded as she threw him into the wall. “I thought you were actually going to put up a bigger fight, silly me. Maybe Drusilla was right, you’re less of a demon now--.”



“Arrrrggg!”



Good, that’s a good Spike, Buffy thought with a grin before she slammed a chair into the back of his head.



“Thank God,” Buffy said after Spike’s body crumbled onto the floor. “Purse…purse.” She searched through the rubble, looking for the drugs. “Oh, got ya.” She smiled before sticking Spike in the arm.

***