Chapter 4

William is not Spike. Spike is not William.

William was killed by Spike. I hate—ok, maybe hate is strong word, I really dislike Spike. A lot. I don’t hate him but I certainly don’t like him as much as William.

Mmmm…William.

Buffy smiled widely.

Ok, I don’t think I could like anyone was much I’m liking him right now.

Buffy rolled on her stomach and she sighed, “It doesn’t matter damn it. William could turn into a rock tomorrow or be the descendant of a slimy demon that eats puppies and I wouldn’t care. I’d still like him. Guess I need to follow my own advice.”

Buffy took her pillow and she covered her head with it. “Carpe diem… seize the day, holy crap I want to seize the whole freakin’ month. I want to seize William.”
***

“Hey, good morning.” Buffy stepped out of the bathroom in her robe and with her hair wrapped in a towel. William was no longer sleeping and he sat on the sofa with a notebook in his lap and a pen in his hand. “You figured out how to use the pens I bought. I was going to give you a demonstration today.”

“It was difficult but I prevailed.” He grinned. “Besides writing utensils did exist where I come from.”

“Pfft, oh, I so knew that.” Buffy batted the air. “I’m just disappointed. I was practicing in the shower how I’d teach you, it went something like: this is a pen and this is a pen cap… it would have been very informative, trust me.”

“I hate to disappoint you, Buffy.”

“That’s ok. I’m counting on teaching you how to turn on the shower later because every one of them seems to be different and burning always happens. What are you writing?”

“A journal entry. I want to record this whole…experience and I plan on adding some poems here and there.”

“That sounds nice.”

“And once I’m gone, I guess,” he shrugged, “you can use it for your research. I still find it baffling that you both went through so much trouble to learn about me.”

Buffy tried not to frown, reminded that William wasn’t going to be staying around forever. “I bet you’re looking forward to going back especially since we drug you here. But it wasn’t really my idea; it’s just my job to help Elizabeth and—and I’m totally rambling. William, do you want to go back? Do you secretly hate me for participating in this whole mess? Oh God. Do you think this is a mess?”

“Buffy?”

“Sorry, temporary insanity.” Buffy panicked, feeling embarrassed, seeing William’s look of confusion. “I’ll be back. I-I need to change.”
***

“I miss my mother.”

Buffy stopped combining her hair and she put down her brush.

“The door was open so I…”

“That’s fine, you can sit if you want. Are you and your mom close?”

William nodded and he sat next to her on the edge of her bed. “She’s sick and I’m the only one that takes care of her. I’m worried that something may happen while I’m here. She shouldn’t be stressed. I fear that me not being here will be harmful to her health. If it weren’t for my mother…”

“You don’t have to explain. If my mom were sick… I’m so sorry. Maybe I can talk to Elizabeth about getting you home sooner. I think she wanted in-depth, gory horror stories and since you don’t--.” Buffy stopped and she licked her lips. “Have. Any. Maybe you can leave sooner.” She spoke slowly, biting her lip and tilting her head as she looked at William, her eyes drawn to his mouth.

Pretty lips…pretty blue eyes…pretty…he’s just…pretty. Sure he looks like Spike but that’s beside the point, the point is…he’s William.

“William?”

“Y-yes?”

“This could sound selfish but I don’t want you to leave too soon. I’d like to get to know you more and not just as Elizabeth’s walking research paper. I want to know you more personally and,” she shrugged, ”maybe if you want, you can get to know me too.”

“Personally?” William croaked. “Are you sure?”

“Only if you want to, do you?” Buffy leaned forward and she placed her hand on his. “I do.”

“You do?” He opened his mouth in shock. “Really?”

“William, you’re not answering my question,” she teased, threading her fingers with his.

“I-I—yes. Yes. Very much so.” He swallowed, nodding.

“You aren’t going to pass out are you? You look woozy and as white as a sheet. Do you need to lie down? Take deep breaths.”

“Buffy…I’ve never…”

“Are you going to kill yourself every time something new happens to you?” Buffy asked with a laugh. “Or do you think you’ll weasel your way into some CPR-type kissage?”

“What? Buffy, I’m not sure of what you’re speaking of…”

“Because if you wanted…kissage—a kiss, all you have to do is ask. I can be very reasonable like that, you know.”

William looked down and Buffy ran her hands over his burning cheeks. She pressed her mouth to the side of his face and then to his lips, kissing him lightly. She pulled back and smiled, seeing that William froze with his lips slightly parted and his eyes closed tight.

“William, you ok?”

“I-I’m—thank you, Buffy.”

“You’re welcome.”
***

“You slept in today.” Buffy sat next to Elizabeth and sighed, still buzzing from being with William. He was in the shower and she couldn’t wait for him to come out of the bathroom.

“Yes, I needed it,” Elizabeth answered. “I think things with William aren’t as horrible as I first assumed. It just makes Spike the vampire more complex to know that he was once a harmless, pitiful human. Even a poet.” Elizabeth snorted into her coffee. “William the Bloody Awful Poet.”

Buffy frowned. “He’s not pitiful and there’s nothing wrong with him being a poet. And we’ve never read any of his stuff. People who weren’t his friends called him that. People, they can be cruel you know.”

“You’re very smitten with William. Now that’s poetic: a slayer falling for a human that will eventually become a vampire and try to murder her--.”

“That’s poetic? It sounds like old news to me or a bad rerun,” Buffy snapped. “I’ve had people I love turn on me and it sucked. And for so many reasons what’s going on with William and me will not end up the same way. Besides, William wants to go home and I think you need to find a way to send him back. His mother is sick and it’s not right to keep him here. What else can you ask him? I can already tell you everyone on his family tree from memory--.”

“His mother’s ill? I should ask him about it…” Elizabeth thought out loud and Buffy glared at her.

“You’re terrible.”

“No, I’m good at what I do. The Council wants a thorough study on Spike and that’s what they’re going to get and it’ll blow them away. I want every detail of his life recorded.”

Not knowing what to say, Buffy stood and she walked back into her room, disgusted.
***

Buffy yawned before glancing at the clock.

Damn, these interrogations are getting boring. I want to know about him but not like this. If we could get out of here, that would be great. I’d love to have a real conversation with him.

“Elizabeth?”

“Yes,” she answered, annoyed that Buffy had interrupted.

“I think William needs a break and some fresh air. Don’t you, William?”

“I’ve been talking for quite a long time,” he nodded in agreement.

“But…” Elizabeth frowned and she thought quickly for an excuse. “You shouldn’t run about the island. What about Drusilla?”

“What about her? It’s noon, the sun it at it’s highest. I’ll take a stake. Come on William, let’s go. We’ll be back in an hour.”
***

“I live with my mom. My dad left my mom a few years ago and they were divorced.” Buffy explained as they were walking along the beach hand-in-hand. “I go to high school in Sunnydale, California and I have a great group of friends. They help me with all my Slayer duties. I love them. There’s Xander, who’s great, very funny. And Willow, who I think you’d like. She’s really smart and she can be shy sometimes too. Giles is like my father figure. He’s my Watcher, he’s like Elizabeth but a lot nicer and not with a stick up his ass.”

“I’ve never heard girls talk like you do. Especially when no alcohol is involved.”

“Do you not like the way I talk?” Buffy asked curiously. “Can you understand everything?”

“Mostly. The way you talk is fascinating. It’s just very unique.”

“As long as that’s a good unique, I won’t get offended. Let’s sit.” Buffy pulled him down and they sat on the sand. “Have you ever seen a view like this?” She scooted closer to his side and she stared ahead at the sunlight shining on the water. “It’s beautiful.”

“It isn’t nearly as beautiful as you are.”

Buffy grinned and she rested her head on his shoulder. “Tell me about the other girl.”

“Who? Why?”

“Because I’m curious. I’m guessing that you liked her and I want to know if I’m right. For her not to snatch you up she must have been either stupid or blind. Maybe both.”

“She wasn’t. She was perfect. I thought I loved her. I thought she felt the same way. She’d talk to me and none of the others would. But she turned out being just as bad as the others. Worse.”

“Hey, I don’t want to upset you, you can stop. I’ve heard enough,” Buffy said, detecting pain in his voice.

“No, it’s alright. I wrote poems about her and how I felt about her. She was embarrassed and she said that she didn’t appreciate me writing about her. It’s understandable but I couldn’t help it. She was my muse, my inspiration.”

“But she isn’t anymore?”

“She said some things to me that I’ll never forget. I can’t believe I loved her. She’s such an ugly person. She proved to be nothing like I imagined her to be.”

“There’s something wrong with that girl. I know it.”

“Do you…is someone waiting for you at home, Buffy?”

“He’s waiting but he’ll be disappointed when I get back. We had a fight before I left for Brazil. We just got to the point where we couldn’t be around each other anymore. I knew I had to end it.”

“How long were you together?”

“About two years and there was constant drama. Everyday we had to face the end of the world and it really put a strain on our relationship.”

“Have you seen a number of, um, demons and evil beings? That must be very dangerous.”

Buffy grinned, happy to change the subject. “I’ve seen my share of uglies but I can take care of myself.”

“I still can’t believe how you broke that door.”

“Oh, you haven’t seen nothin’ yet.”

“If we are enemies, and since you’re the Slayer, why didn’t you kill me? You must’ve tried.”

“I did, but something always went wrong.”

“Am I really that different from Spike?”

“Well,” Buffy paused, taking her head off of his shoulder. She hooked their arms together. “Spike talks way different. He calls people by nicknames: pet and love. He uses tons of slang, some words-I have no idea what they mean. He loves to think of himself as a bad, rude man and he brags all the time and he’s so annoying--.”

“He’s nothing like me.” William decided.

“You both eat a lot,” Buffy offered. “But you need to remember that I’ve only seen one side of him. He could act really different around people he doesn’t hate so much, like Drusilla.”

“I don’t think I could possibly hate you, Buffy. Can you finally tell me about this Drusilla?”

“I…I don’t know especially since you haven’t met her yet. I could say something that could mess up everything, future-wise, you know?”

“I understand,” William said, not hiding his disappointment well.

“Wait,” Buffy shifted so she could see him better. “Ok, I’m going to tell because I think you need to know, ok? Sure you may have not been a hit with the human girls back in the day, but… I heard that Drusilla was after you from the moment she first saw you. What year is it back home?”

“1880.”

“That’s the year.” Buffy mumbled, feeling jealous. “You’ll meet her and you’ll stay with her for many years, William. In fact in Elizabeth’s books, Spike and Dru are like the vampire super couple.”

“She’s a v-vampire?”

“She makes you into one too.” She touched his hand. “I don’t want you to be afraid of her or anything when you go back because if you don’t become a vampire... I don’t know what will happen. But I do know that Spike is one happy guy and that he enjoys his unlife.”

“She kills me?”

“Yeah.” She searched his eyes and forced a smile. “I hate to say it but it’s kinda not a bad thing. Because if you don’t become a vampire, you’ll never meet Drusilla and she’s the love of Spike’s life and you’ll also never meet…”

“You?”

“Not that meeting me is a highlight in your life but I know I’d be disappointed to never meet Spike. No matter how much of a pain he is. He helped me save the world once. He’s been the subject of some of my most famous jokes.” She smiled, running her fingers through the side of his hair. “I love the hair, for example, it just begs for me to think up new and improved dumb blonde jokes.”

“Buffy…”

“Yeah?” She played with the soft skin behind his ear.

William leaned into her touch, “Can you kiss me again?”

Buffy grinned at his straightforward question and his pleading eyes. “I’d love to. I’m just going to move a little closer, ok? If I make you uncomfortable just tell me.”

She scooted onto his lap and William eyes bugged out. She wrapped her arms around him and asked, “This ok?”

“Yes,” he answered in a low voice. Soon he rested his hands on her lower back. “You make me so happy Buffy. I never thought I’d meet someone like you,” he whispered into her hair.

“You make me happy too.” Tilting her head up, she kissed the corner of his mouth. She then kissed him again, gently sucking on his upper lip. “William…”

“I don’t know what to do. I’ve nev--.”

“Don’t say it. Just do what you want. I want you to learn on your own. Experiment, you can’t do anything wrong, I promise.”

“O-ok.” He moved his hands to cup the back of her head and he pulled her in for a slow and careful kiss. When he experimentally slid his tongue in her mouth, Buffy moaned and William grew more confident. He took his time; insistent on exploring everything she was offering him.

“Yum.” Buffy whimpered, snuggling into William’s body. Her heart was beating dangerously fast. Her body was buzzing and the area between her legs was burning.

“What?” William laughed. He pulled his mouth away and Buffy whined.

“You taste good. You kiss good. Need more. Now please.”

“Oh,” William made a goofy smile as Buffy reached for him again.
***