The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
by Wolfram_and_Hart

Chapter 1: The Prologue

The World is changed.

I feel it in the water.

I feel it in the earth.

I smell it in the air.

Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it.

It began with the forging of the Great Rings. 3 were given to the Elves, immortal, wisest and fairest of all beings.

7 for to the Dwarf Lords, great miners and craftsmen of the mountain halls. And 9 were gifted to the race of Men, who above all else, desire power. For within these rings was bound the strength and will to govern each race.

But they were all of them decieved, for another ring was made. In the land of Mordor, in he fires of Mount Doom, the Dark Lord Sauron forged in secret a master ring to control all the others. And into this ring he poured his cruelty, his malice, and his will to dominate all life. One Ring to rule them all. One by one, the Free Lands of Middle Earth fell to the power of the Ring. But there were some who resisted. Under Lorne the elf king and Richard Wilkins the King of Gondor, a Last Alliance of Men and Elves marched against the armies of Mordor, and on the slopes of Mount Doom they fought for the freedom of Middle Earth.

The snarling hoards of Orcs charged into the ranks of the Last Alliance, the Elves and Men let loose volley after volley of arrows into the Dark Forces, but they just kept coming. As the Alliance broker the ranks of the Evil Soldiers, they began hacking and slicing any Orc that moved. They were greatly outnumbered but their resolve was steadfast and they continued fighting until it looked like the forces of Mordor were ready to retreat.

Victory was near, but the power of the Ring could not be undone.

Out of the teaming masses of vile creatures came the one figure in all of Middle Earth that could make the blood of any living being freeze in it's veins. A tall figure clad in cold steel armor. At least 20 feet tall, carrying a mace that was 6 feet long. On the finger of his right hand was the Ring of Power. An evil presence was felt by everyone who looked upon him because they knew who they looked upon. The Dark Lord Sauron had arrived. He swung his mace into the ranks of the last Alliance sending 20 soldiers at a time, flying through the air. King Richard Wilkins could not bare the thought of this evil thing winning. He raised his sword, Narsil, and charged the Dark Lord. Silently vowing to take down the wretched being or die trying. With a flick of the wrist, Sauron's mace sent the King flying into a rocky hillside, killing him instantly. The King's son, Riley, rushed to the body of his father as Sauron regarded him with cruel amusement.


It was in this moment, when all hope had faded, that Riley, son of the king took up his father's sword.

Riley, filled with indignation, grabbed his father's sword and made ready to challenge the Dark Lord. As he lifted the sword Sauron's massive foot came down on the blade and shattered it to pieces. The Lord of Mordor reached down to crush Riley's skull with his own hands but, as he did Riley swung the broken sword and cut off all Saurons fingers including the one that held the Ring. Sauron screamed in pain, convulsed and exploded with such massive force that it knocked everyone within 2 miles to the ground.

Sauron, the enemy of the Free Peoples of Middle Earth, was defeated. The Ring passed to Riley, who had this one chance to destroy evil forever. But the hearts of Men are easily corrupted, and the Ring of Power has a will of its own.

Riley picked up the severed finger that held the One Ring. The finger crumbled to dust, leaving only the Ring in his hand. Riley looked at it and realized that he could never destroy it. Such a powerful thing should be kept as proof of his glory, in recognition of Sauron's downfall. As he and his army rode home, he wore the Ring on a chain around his neck as a trophy. As they passed the river Anduin, they were ambushed by Orcs. They came at the Gondorian Soldiers from all directions. Riley realized that he had to survive for the sake of the kingdom. He took the Ring from the chain, slipped it on his finger and became instantly invisible. He slipped past the Orcs and dove into the river. As he swam past a few of the Orcs the Ring slipped off his finger and the Orcs saw him. He tried to swim faster but the Orcs were too quick and fired three arrows into his back.

It betrayed Riley to his death. And some things that should not have been forgotten were lost. History became legend. Legend became myth. And for two and a half thousand years, the Ring passed out of all knowledge. Until, when chance came, it ensnared a new bearer.

"My preciousssss".

The Ring came to the creature Gollum, who took it into the tunnels of the Misty Mountains. And there it consumed him.

"It came to me. My own. My love. My own. My precioussss. Gollum!"

The Ring brought to Gollum unnatural long life, for 500 years it poisoned his mind. And in the gloom of Gollum's cave, it waited. Darkness crept back into the forests of the world. Rumor grew of a shadow in the East, whispers of a nameless fear. And the Ring of Power perceived its time had now come. It abandoned Gollum. But something happened then the Ring did not intend; it was picked up by the most unlikely creature imaginable. A Hobbit, Joyce Summers of the Shire.

"What's this?" Joyce asked herself as she felt through the darkness of the cave. She picked up the object that she was grasping and got a better look at it. "A ring, huh." Suddenly she heard a blood curdling shriek from somewhere else in the cave.

"LOST! MY PRECIOUS IS LOST!"

For the time would soon come when Hobbits would shape the fortunes of all.