Chapter 10

“It’ll work.”

“It won’t and we barely got out of the sex talk without being grounded until the end of time.”

“You’re so dramatic,” Buffy laughed. “Anya and I figured everything out. Her mom goes to Los Angeles every weekend and they’ll take me with them and bring me back home. It’ll be flawless. Mom won’t find out.”

“Those sound like some famous last words.”

“I’ll ask to go, saying that since reading all the crap about teen pregnancy, I’ve seen the light and I need a weekend away from you to think about the seriousness of our relationship. She’ll be so proud; she’ll have to agree and then days later, you come in and tell her about your poem and the writing deal.”

“What if she calls to check on you?”

“I’ll give her Anya’s cell number and Anya will make up some kind of story.”

“Oh, so we’re relying on Anya?” William asked, rolling his eyes. “My confidence in this plan is lifting as we speak.”

“You don’t want me to stay in the hotel with you? Just think--no mom, no reason to whisper… And it’ll be your birthday--.”

“God, Buffy, it sounds bloody fantastic. But if we get caught she’ll murder me. She’ll kick me out, I know it. I like Giles, but to live with him…” He cringed and shuddered. “I like where I live.”

“I like where you live too but I want a weekend with just for the two of us. It’ll be fun. I’ll shop while you’re writing and then we’ll do stuff together in between.”

“But you’re forgetting that it’s considered a field trip and if I’m caught with a girl in my room, I could get kicked out of school!”

“They wouldn’t kick you out; you’d probably just get some form of suspension.” She laughed as William’s eyes bugged out. “It won’t happen.”

“I hope you’re right.”

“I know that I’m right.”

***

William’s body tensed up and Buffy turned to look at him. “I had to stick that in.”

“I didn’t cheat on you.”

“You just had sex with the first girl that came your way.”

“That’s not true.”

“Oh, I forgot. There was alcohol involved--.”

“You said that if I left that it was over.”

“Well…”

“Ha, can’t deny that, can you?”

“Shut up.”

“It didn’t mean anything.”

“That makes it better,” she said, laughing bitterly. “It’s better to be emotionally unattached to whatever you’re sticking your dick into--.”

William made a noise that was similar to a growl and his hold on her became tighter. “We could’ve made it work. I would’ve done the long distance thing, but no, you had to piss me off. I just wanted to go to a good school and you didn’t give a damn about that. To say that I had to stay or we were finished…”

“You could’ve stayed in California.”

“You could’ve come with me.”

“William, I can’t even imagine… What if I left, what would’ve happened to Dawn?”

“We would’ve come back. I’m not heartless--how many times do I have do tell you that?”

“I still can’t believe that you could find someone else so quickly. It was as if you forgot about me completely…”

“Oh, fuck that--.”

“Well, it was a stupid thing to do!”

“I know and I’ve said I’m sorry so many times. But you kissed Angel; shall I throw that into your face?”

“If you want to, but I didn’t have sex with him so it won’t get you very far.”

“You rammed your tongue down his throat to get back at me?”

“Yes. I wanted it to be the last thing you saw before you left me.”

“Damn it, Buffy--.”

“What? Do you think that was a mean thing to do? You had drunken sex with Harmony!” Buffy twisted in his arms so she could glare at him better. “Harmony! Gross, William! I hope you were sprayed down and then tested for every STD on the planet! Sure I was unreasonable! The things that I said--they were immature and just…stupid but I never wanted you out of my life!”

“It was an offer that I couldn’t refuse,” William said, quietly. “Giles was so kind to offer…he really thought I could be something…”

“I thought so too--.”

“I felt that I had to go and I went. I regret hurting you and using Harmony, and all I can do now is hope that you’ll forgive me. And if you won’t…”

“William,” she sighed, seeing tears in his eyes. She went into his arms again and hid her face in his chest, not wanting to see him cry. “You know that I will, William. I love you so much, I’d be crazy not to.”

“I feel like such a wanker…bawling like an idiot…”

“You’re not. You’re still sweet, so sweet.”

“Even though I’m a cheating bastard? Wouldn’t that be an oxymoron?”

“I broke up with you. You didn’t cheat--even if it still hurts like hell.”

“Buffy…”

“You’re off the hook for the mom stuff, alright? The other, I’m still smarting over but I want you back, William. I want to work through this stuff. I miss you.”

“You mean it?”

She nodded, wrapping her arms around his neck. “Just tell me that you love me.”

“Buffy--God, the word love doesn’t even begin to describe what I feel for you.”

She closed her eyes briefly, savoring his words. “William, you ready?”

“For what?” he said, with a sniffle.

She laughed softly, before cupping his face and kissing him.
***

“Can I say goodbye to him, mom?”

“Make it quick, Buffy, or he’ll be late.”

“I will. Besides, Anya and her mom will be here soon to pick me up.” Buffy ran out the front door and found William making his way down the driveway with his suitcase in hand. “Don’t go yet!”

“I wasn’t.”

“I’ll see you in an hour,” she whispered. “Mom’s looking out the screen door--don’t look at her!”

“Sorry. Sit in the lobby and I’ll get to you as soon as I can.”

“I can’t wait.” Buffy grinned widely and kissed his cheek. “This will be the best weekend.”

“If we don’t get caught.”

“We won’t.”

“I’ll be worrying the whole trip up.”

“Don’t think about that,” she paused and leaned into his ear, “think about waking up next to me in the morning. We’ll have breakfast in bed and…I didn’t even pack something to sleep in at night…”

“It’s going to be a very uncomfortable walk to school now.”

“I need to go. Can’t have you being late.” Buffy hugged him and watched until he disappeared down the road.

***

Buffy lightly brushed her lips against William’s; she then pulled back, biting her lip. “Can we just start over?”

“How much over?” he whispered, still in shock that Buffy had kissed him.

“I don’t know… How about friendly dating?”

“I’d love that.”

“Starting now?”

“Whenever you’d like.”

“Okay, starting now then.”

“Buffy, would I be out of line if…I kissed you? Would it be out of our friendly bounds?”

She answered by kissing him again. They moaned in unison as they explored each other’s mouths for the first time in years. Buffy leaned into him, desperate to keep him close and determined never to let him go.
***

“We did it!” Buffy jumped up from her chair, seeing William. “I told you we would!”

William grinned, picking up her bag and wrapping an arm around her. “We have to hurry, love. The group is having dinner at the restaurant next door. Want me to get you something?”

“Sure.”

“You’re alright with staying in tonight?”

“I’ll take a bath and watch TV until you show up.”

“I may play sick so I can come to you sooner.”

“That would be really nice.” Buffy beamed as he opened the hotel room and held the door open for her. “Oh, wow that’s a big bed.”

“I know,” William said, blushing. He put their suitcases side-by-side. “I’ll be back within the hour.”

“I’ll miss you.”

Smiling, he edged to the door. “Bye, Buffy. I’ll be back.”
***

William smelled the sweet mixture of her soap as soon as he opened the door. “Buffy?”

“You came back soon.”

He came around the corner and gasped, seeing Buffy get into bed with her hair up and in nothing but a colorful pair of panties. “I told them a had the flu…”

“What’d you bring me? It smells good and I’m starving.”

“Pizza. Don’t eat it all because we need to share.”

“Is that what all sick boys eat?”

“Yup.” He put the box on her lap and kicked off his shoes. Quickly, he tossed his jacket and shirt. “Scoot over, pet.”

“You’re going to keep your pants on?”

“Yes.”

“Oh,” Buffy said, handing him a slice of pizza.

“Don’t pout,” he laughed, nudging her side.

“It’s only fair since I’m half naked.”

“But if I take off my pants, I’ll be all the way naked.”

“You don’t wear underwear?” she gasped.

“That’s none of your business, sweetheart.” Looking down shyly, he tossed a few napkins in her direction. “Don’t talk with your mouth full.”

“Yesh, I thought I was wigged out before…”

“The pants are staying on until you take them off.” William laughed as Buffy’s eyes bugged out again. “I’m serious too.”

She closed her eyes as he kissed her temple.

“I got a Coke from downstairs. You want to share it with me?”

***

“It’s getting dark.”

“I’m getting hungry.”

“Pick a place and we’ll have dinner.”

“I say fast food of some sort.”

“Why? I want to take you somewhere nice, Buffy.”

“William, we’re all tearstained and dirty. I don’t care where we go but...”

“You would mind--never mind.”

“What?”

“Nothing.”

“Tell me. Would I mind what?”

“I could cook you something at my place but I don’t know if you’d be interested.”

“You cook?”

“When you’re a bachelor for a long time, you cook or have nothing to eat.”

“I don’t mind.”

“Really?”

She shrugged, “Just as long as you don’t pressure me into sleeping with you.”

“Oh like that would happen,” he laughed.

“You could.”

“And get kicked in the head? I think not.”

“You were always a smart one…while until it came to Harmony.”

“I’m sorry, Buffy.”

“I know.”

“But you’re still going to bug me about it?”

“Of course.”

“Don’t you have a little black book of boys that I could peek at? You must’ve shagged the whole town once I was out of your hair.”

Buffy sat up and reached for her purse.

“Buffy? Did I make you mad at me already? I was joking.”

She put her bag on her shoulder and stepped out of his embrace. “There hasn’t been anyone else for me.” Avoiding his eyes, she held out her hand and helped him to his feet. “It’s been you or no one.”

“Buffy…I can’t…”

“You can’t believe it? I know it’s pathetic but I can’t help it. It’s cliché but I’ve never been able to get you out of my head…you’re always on my mind.”

“Buffy--.”

"Let's not get into it now. I'm not exactly proud of the fact that I'm a sex-starved old maid." Before he could say anything, Buffy pulled him away from the tree. "I'm hungry. What are you making me for dinner, William?"
***

“Pinch me,” Buffy hummed, nuzzling her face against his chest. She giggled as William’s fingers gave her nipple a little tweak. “This is so nice.”

“It is.”

“What are you watching?”

“Nothing really. Just flipping through the channels.”

“Maybe you should turn it off?” she whispered, sitting up and letting the sheet fall to her waist. “It’s late.”

“It’s not really,” William said, swallowing. “It’s still early.”

Blocking his view to the TV, Buffy pulled out the clip that was holding up her hair. “Please turn it off?”

“Okay,” he said softly. Once he pressed the power button on the remote, they were left in darkness. The room was silent except for the loud air conditioner.

“William?”

“Yes, love?”

Buffy settled back under the blankets, draping a leg over William’s body. “If things got serious between us…would we be ready?”

“What do you mean?”

“Well…would we have some sort of…protection?”

“I have condoms, Buffy.”

“Oh, God, really?”

“Yes,” he said, running his fingers over her hair. “It’s best to be prepared…”

“You’re right.”

“And I think I would be ready.”

“No, really?” Buffy teased, giving the muscles of his arms light touches.

“What about you?”

“Maybe.”

“Maybe?”

“Definitely maybe but it would be a shame to let this opportunity go to waste, right? I mean, we’re all alone and horny kids should never be left alone.”

“True,” he chuckled.

Resting her face on her hands, Buffy smiled up at him. “And it would be a memorable birthday present, don’t you think?”

“The best.” He cupped her face and Buffy wiggled up until their lips could touch.

“But then, it’s not your birthday yet,” she said between kisses.

“Sod the date.”

“That word is still so funny.”

William continued to kiss her, rolling her on her back and covering her body with his. “No matter what, it’s up to you.”

Buffy hissed as he made a wet trail to her breasts. “Wow…”

“Is this okay?” he asked, licking her nipple with the tip of his tongue.

“Oh, yeah.”

“You taste good, pet. Thought you’d be soapy.”

“William,” she groaned, threading her fingers in his hair. “Watch where you’re going…”

“I plan to.”

“William--that’s not what I meant!”

“Let me, Buffy. Please?”

“But…”

“It’ll feel good.”

“Did you know what you plan on doing…down there?”

“Nope,” he smirked, getting closer to her underwear. “I just want you moaning.”

“You don’t need to be down there for that to happen.”

“If you don’t like it, I’ll stop. Say no or kick me and we’ll go back to cuddling.”

“You mean it?”

“You have my word, Buffy.”

“Sure you don’t know what you’re going to do?” Buffy whimpered as he pulled down her underwear.

“I’m going to touch you.” William slid a hand between her thighs, trying to part where she had them glued together. “I’m going to show you that I love every inch of you.”

“You aren’t nervous?”

William picked up one of her hands and put it on his heart. “I’m terrified but very excited.”

“Me too.”

“Just kick me,” he reminded, kissing the top of her hand before spreading her legs.

***