Chapter 16

Buffy couldn’t stop smiling. She collapsed for what felt like the hundredth time and forced her breathing to steady. With a groan, she rolled off of William’s body, but scooted close so their shoulders were touching.

“I’m never going to be able to move again.”

“Mission accomplished,” she said, shifting onto her side and combing William’s damp hair with her fingers. “You’re sure sweaty,” she teased. “I don’t remember you being so…moist. Could that be old age settling in?”

“Pft. If I’m old, you’re old.”

“Least you’ve got that same get up and go.”

“Well, that's one thing going for me, right?”

Nodding, Buffy ran her fingers along his neck. Unable to help herself, she leaned forward and pressed kisses on the few freckles that peppered his skin. “We should check on Dawn soon. It’s getting late. We wasted the whole day, William.”

“Wasted? Funny, I can’t think of any place that I’d rather be.”

“My fridge is as barren as yours. If we don’t feed Dawn, she’ll be banging on your front door.”

“We could ignore her.”

“I've tried, but I don’t think it’s possible. The more you ignore her, the louder she gets. If you want to stay here, I can run across the street--.”

“No, we’ll head over there and do something all together. Want to go to the carnival?”

“Will you kiss me on the Ferris wheel?”

William smirked, “Can’t believe you remember that. Of course I’ll kiss you on the Ferris wheel--in fact, there’s no way that you’ll be able to stop me, pet.”
***

“Giles says that I’m a natural,” William said proudly. “I didn’t hit a thing--I wasn’t even close! I avoided all the dumpsters and was careful during my turns...”

Buffy shelved the new stock of books as William talked about driving his car for the first time.

“It was easier than I thought. Today I went around the neighborhoods, but tomorrow I’m heading to the big streets!”

“See? You were nervous about nothing. I told you that you had nothing to worry about.” Buffy patted him on the arm and went to the cash register in the bookstore with William following close behind. “I wish mom would’ve let me ride along--but no, she had to be mean. Do you think that I would’ve distracted you?”

“Nope.” He leaned against the counter and whispered, “Where’s Giles, love?”

“I don’t know; in the back of the store maybe, why do you ask?”

William smirked, “Can you help me find a book, Buffy?”

She narrowed her eyes, “What kind of book?”

Instead of answering, he walked silently around the store, looking down each tall row of reading material. “I think he’s in the storage room.”

“So what?”

“Isn’t he usually back there forever?”

“Sometimes,” Buffy said carefully. “What are you up to?”

“Stop asking so many questions.” William came up to her and grabbed her hand, pulling her into a corner of the room. “You’re wasting precious time.”

Buffy smiled and was taken by surprise as William started to kiss her neck. “Whoa there,” she gasped as a hand slipped into her jeans. “What--are you crazy? There could be customers coming in and--.”

“I thought you were the one for public displays of affection?”

“I know, but this is different--.”

“And it’s not like we can do anything back home. Buffy, I want you so much.”

“William,” she hissed, as his fingers pressed between her legs and rubbed against her underwear. “This is a bad idea.”

"It doesn't have to be, pet."

Buffy groaned, trying to avoid his pleading gaze and the feeling of his erection poking her thigh. "God, what do you want to do exactly? We’re in a bookstore, William. I’ve barely come to terms with your... penis and now you want to do it at work?"

"I want to--."

"William? Can you help me lift some boxes? William?"

"Oh, fuck!" he whispered, hearing Giles' voice. Buffy tried not to laugh as William jumped away and dove behind another row of shelves. "Did he see me?"

"Giles, I'll help you in a minute!" When there wasn’t an answer, Buffy pulled William out of a crouching position. "You can stop hiding. I thought you were okay with just cuddling? You said that if we were able to sleep in the same bed sometimes that you’d be okay with us not having sex at home."

"I am. Are you sure he’s gone?"

"I don't know if I believe you." She searched his eyes and frowned. “I want to talk about this later, alright? But if I stall any longer, Giles is going to come out here and see that,” she pointed as his tented pants, “ and I know how you hate to be embarrassed.”

“Buffy, really--.”

She leaned in for a quick kiss and hummed when their lips stayed together for longer than she had expected. “Save it for later.”

***

“She’s going to freak out.”

“Don't care, I’m staying the night or we’ll go back to my place.”

“So demanding,” Buffy chuckled, kissing William as he propped her against the side of the house. “We need to go inside.”

“In a minute.”

“William,” she hummed, “I thought you were exhausted?”

“Doesn’t mean I can’t kiss you.”

“Oh, continue then.” Buffy tangled her hands in his already-messy hair and groaned as William’s body rubbed against her. “William,” she purred, her arousal mounting. “I mean it. We should go inside or I’ll have to--.”

“Right. Guess my minute’s up. Can’t have you mauling me again.”

“Oh, I think there was some mutual mauling.” Buffy opened the front door and motioned for William to follow her. “Dawn! Home!”

From upstairs they heard a crash and a loud gasp.

“Okay, I wasn’t expecting that.” Buffy and William exchanged concerned glances before heading to the second level. “Dawn?”

“Stay here,” William whispered.

“No way.”

“Buffy--.”

“No. Don’t argue with me. I’m not staying in the hallway. I want to know what’s going on.”

“Alright, just let me go in first.” When Buffy nodded, William took slow steps toward Dawn’s bedroom. “Dawnie? Are you okay, bit?”

“Hey guys! I didn’t hear you come in!”

“Dawn, what was that noise?” Buffy asked. “Did something break?”

“What noise?” Dawn asked innocently as she sat on the edge of her bed. “There wasn’t a noise. And nothing’s broken. So, how was your day? Was the picnic fun? I’ve been here all day. Studying--studying, a lot. My eyes hurt from all the studying that I’ve been doing, let me tell you!”

“Something weird is going on.” Buffy’s eyes searched her sister’s room. “You’re hiding something. What is it?”

“I have no idea what you’re talking about. Hey! Don’t go through my things!”

“I’m just checking for boys and,” William squinted into the trashcan, “the cigarette. I didn’t know you smoked.”

“She doesn’t!” Dawn opened her mouth to explain, but closed it quickly, knowing that she wouldn’t win against Buffy. “You smoke?” Buffy screamed. “Since when? That’s disgusting! Smoking is bad!”

“Breathe, love.”

“You have no proof!”

“Here, you go.” Smirking, William picked up a snuffed cigarette. “Found it in the windowsill. That’s strange place to throw your incriminating evidence, bit.”

“You suck,” Dawn pouted. “I just tried it once.”

“By yourself?”

“Yeah...”

“Who gave it to you?”

“Nobody.”

“You bought it? Is there a pack somewhere? Where’s the lighter?”

“Buffy, I’d hate to ruin your interrogation, but...what do I spy with my little eye?” William looked out the window and grinned. “Looks like little sis is following in your footsteps. Dawnie had company.”

“What do you mean?”

“There’s a shoe in the bushes. A rather big, teenage-boy-shaped shoe.” He turned and looked at Dawn. “I’m impressed, kitten. How’d he jump out of the window without breaking his neck?”

“You had a boy in your room? Dawn!”

“Here comes round two,” William muttered, heading to the door. “I’ll let you girls duke it out. I’ll intervene when the hair pulling starts, until then, I’m going to watch some TV. ”
***

“You can’t be having withdrawals. It hasn’t even been a full week and you lived just fine before we started doing...stuff.”

“I’m not having bloody withdrawals, Buffy. I thought we could mess around because Giles was busy. I thought wrong, alright? I’m sorry.”

“Don’t get snippy.”

“I’m not getting snippy,” William insisted. They were walking home in the dark after their shift ended at the bookstore. “Don’t you find it frustrating that we can’t kiss or touch each other? It seems like someone is always watching. And I do enjoy it when we can sleep together, but I won’t deny that I think it’d be nice if we could do a bit more than snuggle.”

“Mom warned me about boys like you,” Buffy teased. “They get a bit of sex and that’s all they want. What do you want me to do, try to get mom and Dawn out of the house so we can have our sexcapades?”

“Actually, that doesn’t sound like a bad idea. Do you think you could get rid of them?”

Buffy laughed and rolled her eyes, “I guess I could try, but--.”

“Please, Buffy?” William stopped her on the sidewalk and hugged her. “You’re so good at that kind of stuff. If we could be alone for a few hours, I’d be so grateful.”

“Hey, you didn’t deny that all you think about is sex,” she pointed out with another laugh as William’s arms tightened around her.

“All I think about is you.”

“All I think about is you too. To be honest, I wish we could do more than snuggle too, but it’s too risky...unless I get them out of the house.”

“So, you’ll try?”

“I will.”

***

“I knew this would happen and you’re only my sister. If I have kids of my own—God, I can’t even imagine it—they’ll be devil children! A bunch of delinquents! And then, if William’s the father...” Buffy trailed off as she paced the room. “They say that the kids are always worse than the parents. I wonder how bad mom was?”

“Are you going to start yelling at me or are you going to keep freaking out?”

“Oh, I’m going to yell,” Buffy promised. “I can’t believe you had a boy up here. I didn’t even think you were seeing anyone.”

“He’s just a friend--.”

“A friend who I don’t know. A friend who you felt you had to hide from me. And a friend who is teaching my baby sister how to smoke—this sounds like a very bad friend!”

“He’s not bad!”

“What’s his name?”

“Connor.”

“Does this Connor have a last name?”

“I won’t let you check his records at school, Buffy.”

“Why not? Is there something that I shouldn’t know about him?”

“He’s a nice guy! Ground me if you want to, but I’m still going to see him!”

“You’re definitely grounded, missy.”

“Fine,” Dawn pouted. “And so you know, I think smoking is gross. It wasn’t my cigarette. I’m trying to help him quit.”

“You should send him to my office--.”

“Over my dead body!”

“That can totally be arranged. I want to meet this guy who’s doing God-only-knows-what to my sister.”

“I can guarantee he’s not doing even half of the stuff that William did to you when you were my age,” Dawn said smugly. “You guys started boinking in freshman year. God, what were you doing by twelfth grade?”

“That’s none of your business!”

“I see the way it is. It’s always ‘do what I say and not what I do’ with you.”

Buffy narrowed her eyes, “Oh, keep it up, I dare you. You’re already in so much trouble.”

“I’m just telling you the truth--.”

“And I’m just going to ground you from everything besides school until you’re forty!”
***

“We’re never having children.”

“Never? Not even one?”

Buffy gave William a funny look and sat next to him on the couch. “Are you saying you want to have kids with me?”

“I doubt they’d be devil children, Buffy.”

“Oh, you heard that?”

“Heard every word. You both weren’t exactly using your inside voices.” He turned off the television and gave her his complete attention. “Does she throw our relationship in your face often?”

“Not usually. It’s funny how some of the guilt is still there, you know? I still feel guilty about the things we did.”

“We weren’t that bad. We didn’t smoke, or drink...much.”

“The drinking was your deal, not mine.”

“It was a few times...”

“Shut up, William.”

“Are we going to feed Dawn or not? Is starving a part of the grounding?”

“I guess not. It just freaks me out that some guy that I’ve never heard of is tiptoeing around my house. At least mom knew you and you never had to break in.”

“But we did have extraordinary circumstances, don’t you think?”

“Yeah, yeah.”

“Why don’t you invite the little punk over after the grounding? We can meet him and I can play the big bad ‘touch her and die’ role that I learned from Joyce.”

Buffy grinned and knocked into his side playfully, “Why do I have a problem seeing you be a big bag anything?”

“I’m the baddest, princess.”

“Sure, whatever you say, honey.”

“If worst comes to worst, I guess we can have a bloody tag team,” William said with a fake pout. “If I crash and burn, you can take over.”

“Aww,” Buffy cooed, “so pouty. See that lower lip? Gonna get it.” Laughing, she pulled William in for a kiss. “I guess I wouldn’t mind one demon-child.”

“One we could handle,” William agreed, hugging her into his chest.

“What a scary thing to talk about when we just made up, huh?”

“You brought it up.”

“I blame Dawn.”

“Okay, it’s all her fault.”

“That’s right,” she sighed, content in his arms. “But this boy business gives me a really good reason for letting you stay over every once in while. Who needs a guard dog when I have a big bad attack William?”

“And we’ll just forget the fact that I’m a heavy sleeper?”

“It’ll be our secret. I like any excuse that keeps you here with me.”

“We could say that you’re the boss therefore, she has to deal with the decisions that you make. If you want me to sleepover, so be it because technically, you’re her parent...”

“That sounds like it would involve parenting skills. I pass.”

“Alright,” William chuckled, planting a kiss on Buffy’s forehead.
***