Chapter 4

“We are totally going to have a study-fest tomorrow. I’m so scared of that test.”

“Buffy?”

“Hey,” Buffy smiled when William appeared beside her.

“I thought we could sit outside if that’s alright with you.”

“Sure. Will, call me, ok?” Buffy frowned when her friend didn’t respond. Willow was too busy staring at William.

“Hi,” she squeaked. “How are you liking our new novel in class?”

“I think it’s fantastic,” William answered. “The writing is stunning.”

“What book is it?” Buffy wrinkled her nose when Willow rattled off the unfamiliar title. “Sounds great.”

William chuckled, “I’ll make you borrow it, pet.”

Buffy took a deep breath, still not used to his new nickname for her. “I’m not a reader girl.”

“You just have to find the right books and I swear that you’ll be hooked.” William flashed her a smile. “Maybe I could take you to the bookstore sometime--.”

“Uh, I guess I should be on my way,” Willow interrupted, a blush coloring her cheeks. “I have to find Anya!”

“Okay,” Buffy laughed, wondering why Willow was acting so strange.

“If you don’t find her, Red, you’re more than welcome to join Buffy and me.”

“No, thanks!” Willow hugged her books to her chest and practically ran away.

“Does she always act like that around you?”

“I haven’t noticed,” he said, following Buffy outside of the building. “Maybe someone slipped her some caffeine. She can’t handle that rot.”

“Mmmm...I wonder if she likes you. Do you like her?”

William brushed off the seat before Buffy could sit. “She’s alright. She’s a nice girl to talk to.” He sat next to Buffy and started to eat his sandwich.

“I’m guessing you’re in her English class?”

“Yup, that’s right.”

Buffy nodded, “You know, I was thinking she has a crush on a boy in that class. I was thinking it was you but then she told me that the guy writes poetry and stuff. You don’t write, do ya, William?”

“No, no,” William shook his head. “Girls...ah, only girls write poems. I hate the class, I only like reading...” He laughed nervously and scratched his eyebrow with his little finger. “So, did she say she liked the guy’s stuff?”

“Of course, she does, she loves the guy.”

“Oh, but you don’t know who he is?”

“Nope and it’s stupid. I tell her all my secrets.”

William gave her a sideways glance, “Who do you like, Buffy?”

“I’m not telling you! You’re a boy—you’ll tell!”

“Buffy, you just told me everything you know about Willow’s crush--.”

“Oh, crap!” Buffy’s eyes widened, realizing that he was right. “Please, please don’t tell anyone! Willow will kill me!” She gave him her dessert, knowing it was his favorite. “There are two cupcakes, take them both.”

“If you insist,” William chuckled happily.

“Just don’t tell!”

“Mmmm,” he closed his eyes and ate the first cupcake, “I won’t tell, Buffy.”

“Thank you...”

“Unless you tell me who you like.”

“Blackmailer! Give me my cupcake back!” She reached for him and William pushed her away.

“You suck!”

“What kinda talk is that?” he teased. “Just tell me his name.”

Buffy bit her lip and giggled at him.

“What?” he asked, his mouth full.

“You’re so messy.”

“Am not.” William licked his fingers.

“Are too.” Sighing, Buffy took a napkin and wiped his face.

“Buffy,” he croaked as she gently held his chin.

“What? Did I do something wrong?”

“No.”

“Then stop talking funny. I like Riley, ok? I think he’s cute.” Buffy put her hands in her lap. “But I think he hates me—all boys hate me.”

“I don’t,” William said softly. “You really like Finn? He’s so...”

“Great?” Buffy suggested.

“I was going to say retarded and butt-ugly,” he grumbled.

“You won’t tell about Willow now, right?”

“No.”

“You won’t tell about my crush?”

“If I say that bugger’s name, I’ll puke, Buffy.”

“William.” Buffy burst out laughing not used to his weird choice of words. “You’re so stupid.”

“At least I don’t have the hots for a jerk.”

“So who do you like?”

“I’m not telling you.”

“I told you.”

“Because you had to.”

“Is it Willow?”

“No.”

“Oh, she’s going to be upset.”

“So don’t tell her, Buffy.”

“Tell me,” she pouted. “Please, William?”

“No, Buffy.” He grinned when the bell rang, ending lunch. “I have to go.”

“Oh, you’re not getting away so easy William!” Buffy giggled as he ran. “I’ll see you at home!”
***

“Dawn left over an hour ago.” Buffy turned and locked the door. “She never leaves that early. How much did you pay her?”

“Would I do such a thing?”

Buffy gave him a look. “Yes.”

William chuckled, purposely changing the subject. “Coffee for you, love, and a bagel.”

“Thank you,” she said. “So, are you nervous about finally starting your new job?”

“Terrified.”

“Always the worry wart...you’ll be fine, William.”

“Buffy...”

“Ok, less talking, more walking.”
***

“It’s Willow, I’ll get it!” Buffy ran to get the ringing telephone. “I’ll be in my room!”

William rolled his eyes, “She’s loves that phone, huh?”

“Her life revolves around it,” Joyce agreed with a laugh. “How was school?”

“Alright, nothing new really.”

“How are you and Buffy getting along?”

“Great so far.” William played with his food. “I missed her, Mrs. Summers.”

Joyce smiled, “Oh, William, I know she missed you too...even if she’s too stubborn to admit it.”

“You really think so?”

“I know so.”

“Can I be excused, Mrs. Summers?”

“Sure, just rinse off your plate.”
***

Buffy lay on her bed and threaded the phone cord between her fingers. “Are you going to Harmony’s party?”

“Probably not.”

“Why?”

“I don’t have a date.”

“Willow, you don’t need one, come with me. Anya will be there too.”

“Anya’s bringing that new boy she met -- Xander -- or something like that. I just don’t want to be left by myself.”

“I won’t leave you.”

“You’ll probably go with William.”

“What makes you think that? I’m not even sure if he goes to those kinda things.”

“He’d go if you asked him.” There was a silence and then Willow added, “I’ve seen the way he looks at you. I think everyone has except you, Buffy. When you guys weren’t talking he’d ask me questions about you.”

“You’re kidding!”

“Nope, he always wanted do know how you were doing and stuff like that.”

“Really...” Buffy stared off, not believing that he cared so much. “Will, is William your crush?”

“No,” she said weakly on the other line.

“You’re lying.”

“It doesn’t matter. Buffy, I think he loves you or something.”

“William?”

“Yeah.”

“Will, can I ask you something?”

“Sure.”

“Does he really write poetry?”
***

“If you want, I can beat Dawn until she gives your money back. I don’t think you got your money’s worth.”

“I think differently, love.” William held open the door for Buffy to enter the high school, and they walked around the kids standing around in the hallway.

“We were almost silent the whole way and you ended up losing more money by buying my breakfast. Thanks again for that by the way.”

“No problem. It was nice just to be near you,” he said, pretending to be causal. “Like old times.”

“Old times,” Buffy repeated with a soft laugh. “You must remember them differently too.”

“I could, who knows really?”

“I don’t remember them being so...boring.”

William smiled, stopping in front of the door to his classroom. “No, no, we were never boring. Now that you mention it, maybe I’m wrong. Our walk was like old times but without the good stuff: the screaming, crying, talking, kissing--.”

“Whoa, that’s enough walking down memory lane for now, William.”

“For now?”

“Have a good day at work.”

“You too, Buffy.”
***

“William?” Buffy whispered, scooting closer to him on the couch. They were all watching a movie together and her mom and little sister were fast asleep.

“Yeah?”

“Have you heard about Harmony Kendall’s birthday party this weekend?”

“My friends are going.”

“Oh...are you going with them?”

“I wasn’t planning on it, they’re all bringing girls.”

“Oh,” Buffy nodded. “So, uh, you wanna go with me?”

William’s jaw hung open. “Like...like on a date, Buffy?”

“No, no, of course not!” Buffy spoke quieter when her mom shifted in her sleep. “Mom said I can’t date until I’m sixteen.”

“I turn sixteen before you do...” William counted the months on his fingers. “In ten months or around there...I could have messed up. I always seem to forget September...”

“Yeah, so what?”

“Nothing,” he said, acting as if he were caught.

“Are you going with me or not?”

“I’d like to, very much, Buffy.”
***

“Have you kicked him anymore?”

”Who?”

“You know who.” Cordelia sat and faced Buffy’s desk. “How’d the car accident go?”

“Just peachy.” Buffy took off her reading classes and put down the lid to her laptop. “You need something or are you just bored?”

“I thought you’d like to know the latest gossip, if I’m wrong...”

“Sit. Gossip already?”

“Hey things travel around the school fast.”

“Ok, let me have it.”

“It’s all centered around your friend, William so maybe you don’t even want to hear it...”

“Cordy.”

“Alright,” she sat forward and lowered her voice. “Some think you guys are still together. I didn’t know you guys dated. Anyway, some think he’s gay.”

Buffy interrupted to laugh. “Sorry, go on.”

“You name it, some have him married, seeing students--.”

“All the rumors are based around if he’s taken or not.”

“Of course, Buffy. Students, teachers, other staff—William’s hot.”

“Like I didn’t know that,” Buffy mumbled, rubbing her eyes. “Why are you telling me this?”

“Because if you want to claim your territory, I’d do it now and quick.”

“We’re not together.”

“Okay,” Cordelia stood and walked towards the door. “I’m just saying if he is your ex and there are still feelings...I’d know it’d piss me off if the entire school was throwing themselves at my man.”
***

“Please, for the love of God, let me sit with you.”

A smile tugged on her lips, “You know we could leave campus, right?”

“Even better.” William followed Buffy out of the teacher’s lounge. “The women are fucking crazy here.”

“Well, have you seen the other male teachers? You’re a breath of fresh air.”

“Yeah and they all want to get in my pants.”

Buffy laughed at his serious tone. “Would that really be a problem for you?”

“Oh, shut up. Where are we heading? I’m starving, love.”

“There’s a fast food place around the corner.”

“Did you have as much trouble when you started?”

“Did I have to beat off all the guys with a stick? Not really.”

“Why not?”

“Just what are you saying, William?” Buffy laughed again when he shrugged and said that he wasn’t sure. “William, there are only four other male teachers, and they are all over sixty. I’m sure that at least three of them are considered legally blind. And as for the students...yeah, I guess there was some problems but only for the first year.”

“A year? Kill me now.”

“It’s even worse if you’re single. You dating someone?”

William smirked, “That was a very creative way to weasel in that question, sweetheart. You had it all set up...”

“Like I really care,” Buffy said defensively. “It’s just a question.”

“You don’t have to sulk, Buffy. I’m not dating anyone and I haven’t.”

“Do you really want me to believe that?”

“Sure I tried to see other people but it never worked out. I have this funny little tendency to compare everyone to you—everyone falls short, you know?”

Buffy almost nodded in agreement, knowing exactly what he meant but she stopped herself.

“I guess your silence is my cue to shut my gob as well, eh?” William opened the door for Buffy and followed her inside the fast food restaurant.
***