Chapter 7

“Buffy...”

She shivered; goose bumps spreading along her arms.

“She’ll be home soon.”

“I locked the screen door; she’ll have to get one of us to let her in.”

William laughed, his warm breath drying where he had licked on her neck. “You think of everything.”

Buffy moaned and played with the hem of his t-shirt as he kissed his way back to her mouth. Humming, she mirrored his movements, teasingly brushing their lips together.

They groaned in unison as the doorbell rang.

“Not yet,” Buffy whimpered, deepening their kiss but moving out of his lap.

William followed her out of the room and they took tiny steps, clinging to each other, desperate to keep kissing. “Wait, wait, we’ll fall down the stairs,” he gasped, ripping his mouth away. “Can you let her in?”

“Yeah,” Buffy nodded, trying to catch her breath, “should I tell mom that you’ll be in your room for awhile?”

“Shut up, Buffy.”

She laughed, running to let her mom into the house.
***

“Where’s William?”

“Upstairs, I don’t think he could hear the doorbell ring,” Buffy lied, opening the screen for her mother.

“I need to talk to him as soon as possible.”

“Why? Oh--wait! I’ll get him!” Buffy ran past her mom and turned before reaching the stairs. “Is it something bad?”

“No, well--just tell William to come downstairs.”
***

“William, you smell good...kinda like my lotion...the lotion that has recently gone missing from our bathroom....”

“Shut up, Buffy,” he sang, making his way to the kitchen.

“I stalled for as long as I could.”

“Thank you, but do you know what this is all about?”

“Not a clue.” She sat at the table and patted the seat next to her. “Mom, we’re waiting!”

“Do you think she knows...about us?”

“I doubt it. We’re very sneaky.” Laughing softly, she kissed his cheek.

“Oh, stop that, Buffy,” he whispered, shifting closer to her.

“One more.”

“Just one, a quick one.”

“William? Buffy?”

“Um, mom...” Buffy pulled away from William, licking her lips. “Mom...”

“Mrs. Summers. I...would now be a good time to ask if I can date your daughter?”

***

Making her way down the hallway, Buffy couldn’t help but peek into William’s classroom. Instead of standing at the head of the class, he was in the middle, surrounded by students.

I’d kill to be in there, she thought. She smiled as he read out of a book, his face twisting with emotion.

“God, he puts on quite a performance...”

“Um, Ms. Summers?”

Buffy turned, startled by the boy’s voice. “Yes?”

“You’re blocking the door and I need to get back to class.”

“Oh, sorry, let me open it for you.” Laughing as she let the student into the room, she held up a hand to excuse the disruption. She tried not to blush as William and his kids gave her a strange look. “Um, carry on,” she said sheepishly, making sure the door closed soundlessly before heading to her office.
***

“William, your uncle is moving in across the street.”

“I have an uncle?”

“It’s your father’s brother and he seems like a very kind man...his name is Rupert.”

“You aren’t sending William away, are you? That kiss you saw, it was just a once in a lifetime deal, right, William?” Buffy elbowed him and pleaded with her mother. “Don’t make him go across the street and live with some guy that he doesn’t even know! You adopted him, didn’t you?”

“William is not going to move, his uncle would just like to see him and visit with him, Buffy.” She exhaled in relief and gave William a little smile but her mom continued to speak. “However since you two want to date each other, there will be some new rules around the house.”

Buffy wrinkled her nose, “What kind of rules?”
***

"That's impossible!"

"No, it's not, I don't want you home alone and there's nothing you can say that'll change my mind."

"So, if you go to get more cereal, William has to stand outside until you come back? That's stupid! What if it's raining?"

"Do you want to date him or not? All I ask it that you avoid being alone together when I'm not home...one of you can join me when I leave the house."

"Buffy, it doesn't sound so bad," William whispered. "Mrs. Summers, we'll be good."

"Mom, don't you trust us?"

"Of course I do, I know you and William are good kids, but that will not stop me from taking the locks off the doors..."

"It doesn't sound bad, huh?" Buffy said, mocking William and giving him a dirty look. "William needs a lock on his door, mom."

"Buffy," he hissed, his face turning red. "I would like to be able to lock my door...for the sake of my privacy..." He gave Joyce a quick glance and then focused his eyes on the table. "I won't let Buffy into my room...she's rarely in there unless we're helping each other do homework, you know?"

Buffy's mom sighed, "Just make sure that you always have the door open when you're together."

"We will, always," William promised, grinning. "Won't we, Buffy?"

"Sure, all the time."

***

“Are you not eating today?”

Buffy looked up briefly from her computer and after seeing William’s smirking face, her eyes went back to the screen. “That’s right, I have a lot of work to catch up on.”

“Spent all that time spying on me, yeah?”

“Maybe.”

“You’re really not eating, pet?”

“I forgot my lunch at home on the table.”

“Running late again? That’s not good, Buffy,” he teased, shaking his head in disapproval.

“Bite me, William.”

He chuckled, sitting in a chair facing her desk. “Would you mind if I bug you and eat in here?”

“I guess not--William, you don’t have to do that,” Buffy said once half of his sandwich was dangled in front of her computer screen.

“Eat it. You must not be eating enough because you’re so skinny. I could snap you like a twig without even trying, pet.”

“Is that right?” she smirked. “I think you’d be surprised. I’ve always been good at kicking, William, and weight means nothing when you have a good pointy shoe.”

“True, true, you don’t have to remind me, I still have my war wounds.”

Buffy grinned, pinching off pieces and nibbling on her food. “I’m kinda glad you showed up. I was trying trick my stomach into forgetting it was hungry by keeping my mind on work and my plan was failing miserably.”

“‘Kinda glad,’ to see me? I can handle that. Want some of my drink?”

“No way. We have more hurdles to jump before the cootie swapping. I have my lukewarm coffee and I’m perfectly happy with it.”

“Suit yourself, pet,” he laughed, “but I remember you being particularly fond of my cooties.”

“Let’s change the subject...so, about tomorrow, would you be shocked if I told you that Dawn’s bailing on us?”

“No, but I will be disappointed if you bail on me too.”

“William...”

“You’re backing out on me, are you?” he said, frowning. “I’ve been looking forward to this weekend.”

“Me...me too...”

“Can’t we just...for one day, can’t we pretend like we’re on pleasant terms? I don’t even need the entire two days--hell, just pick one day, Buffy.” He sighed and pleaded so quietly that she could barely hear, “Don’t let me down.”

“William, I’m going with you,” she said gently, her heart breaking at his slumped shoulders. “In fact, the reason why Dawn’s refusing to join us is so we can talk and...I think it’s a good idea.”

There was a pause and then he asked, “You mean it?”

She nodded, shyly keeping her eyes downcast. “I want us to work things out...I miss you so much sometimes.” She blinked, struggling not to cry. “I know it’s stupid but...”

“I’m here, Buffy.”

She gasped as he touched her wrist. She looked up, finding him behind her desk and staring at her intensely. “No, not really...”

“Love...”

Keeping one hand in contact with his, she reached for a Kleenex. She dabbed her eyes and blew her nose. “You’re not here how I need you or how I want you,” she whispered.

“Buffy, let me...”

Unable to stop herself, she went into his open arms. “God,” she moaned, holding him close with her fists full of tissues. Her chest ached as he buried his face in her hair and babbled incoherently about how much he missed her and wanted her back. “William,” she started to say and then the bell rang, meaning it was the end of the lunch break. “You have a class to teach,” she wiped his eyes with the driest Kleenex, not leaving his embrace, “and I have kids to see...”

“Alright,” he said, searching her eyes and pressing his lips to her temple, “but I want to see you later.”

“You will, you will,” she promised, holding her hand to his cheek. She bit her lip and sniffled before lightly kissing the corner of his mouth. “I want to see you too.”

“Oh, love,” he groaned, hugging her tightly. “If I don’t go now, I’ll never leave.”

“Go.”

“After work, okay?”

She nodded, barely pushing him back, “Go, William.” She held back a whimper as he let go of her and walked out the door. Taking a deep breath, she sat in her chair and looked up as the door opened again. “William, go.”

“I just wanted you to know that, eh...thank you, Buffy and I can’t wait for later, pet.”
***

Buffy was happy to find his door unlocked. "William?" she whispered, pushing it open and slipping into his room.

She crept towards his bed, careful not to trip in the darkness. "You awake?" Lightening cracked, causing the room to light up briefly. She shivered, hearing rain pound harder against the window. She called for him again and when he continued to sleep, Buffy quickly got under sheets.

"God, you could sleep through anything." Moving his arm, she snuggled into him until she was comfortably against his bare chest. Swallowing, she ran her hand from his waist up, never feeling so much of his skin before. "Wake up," she said, but her voice was drowned out by the sound of rolling thunder. "I'm never doing this again." Grumbling about how stupid he was, Buffy started to get out of his bed but suddenly an arm circled around her, halting her movements.

"What are you doing here?"

"Let go of me."

"It's raining?"

"Yeah and the power's been out for at least an hour."

"You afraid of storms?"

"No." Buffy squirmed, still trying to get away until the loud noises from outside made her whimper. "Okay, maybe a little scared."

"Come here. Relax," William said softly.

"William, are you going to have a heart attack?"

"Why do you ask?"

"I can hear your heart...” Buffy looked up at him from where she was resting on his chest. "I'm nervous too."

"I've never had a girl in my bed before."

"I've never been in a guy's bed before. I just thought...I'm not sure what I was thinking. The storm was keeping me awake and then I was thinking about how good it would be to see you..."

"And you came to me," he finished for her, kissing the top of her head. "I'm glad you did and that you woke me up, Buffy."

She tilted her head up, inviting him to kiss her lips. Once their mouths were fused together, Buffy melted, no longer worried about how awkward it was to be with him under the sheets. "William," she whispered, once she felt a wandering hand cup her breast.

"Sorry, sorry. I shouldn't...” His hand didn’t move, instead his fingers lightly encircled her nipple and twisted around it.

“William,” she purred, not resisting the touches and feeling shots of electricity jolt through her tank top to her skin. He was sliding down one of the straps when another flash of lightening made her jump and bury her head into his shoulder. She froze, noticing that something was poking her thigh. “Oh, my God…” she whispered, shifting towards it and hearing William moan. “Maybe I should…go?”

“No!” Once Buffy started to roll away, he caught her and held her close. “Please, please stay. I…I can’t help it but I’ll ignore it. Please?” When she didn’t answer, he covered her face with soft kisses. “I won’t do anything, I swear it, Buffy…don’t go.”

Closing her eyes, she relished the sound and feel of his lips smacking against hers.

“I love you, Buffy, I wouldn’t do anything that…”

Buffy’s eyes popped open and they stared at each other, eyes wide.

“That, eh, I wasn’t planning on saying that…”

She watched in the darkness faintly seeing the outlines of his face. “You love me?” she said, tenderly cupping his chin. “Really?”

“I…” he looked as if he was going to deny it but then he said, “I always have, for as long as I can remember. You’ve always meant so much to me.”

“Oh, wow.”

“Is it really news to you?” he said, laughing softly.

She shook her head, caught up in a dreamy state and unable to speak. He loves me, she thought, barely able to breathe.

“Buffy…are you, alright? Did I say too much?”

“William,” she said, pouring much adoration and warmth into his name. She sighed, cuddling him and wrapping her arms around him. “I can’t stay too long but I’ll be here as long as I can.”

***

“Stop pacing!”

“I can’t,” Buffy whined, keeping an eye out the front window. “He’s coming by, he said, ‘later.’”

“So what?” Dawn shrugged and then looked up from her homework. “Oh my God! What happened? Something happened!”

“Nothing happened...okay, maybe a little something. I think we’re moving in the right direction, Dawnie.”

“Yes! So, was there kissing? Hot monkey sex in your office—in the janitor’s closet?”

“No! There was...there was very nice—G-rated—holding and some tears,” Buffy sighed, trying not to smile too foolishly. “It made me think what went wrong could be cleared up, you know? And maybe even painlessly...He said he wanted me back...”

Dawn jumped to her feet, “Yay! I’m so happy for you guys!” They laughed and hugged until there was a knock at the door. “I’ll get it!”

“Dawnie, nice to see you too,” William chuckled as Buffy’s little sister nearly tackled him to the ground. “Just what did you tell her, pet?”

“Nothing,” Buffy said, looking innocent. “What took you so long?”

“Well, I have a job, you know? I had some things that had to be graded. Now, if I can get this thing off of me,” he jabbed his fingers into Dawn’s side, making her squeal with giggles, “I can take you on a little walk, if you’re interested...”

“She’s so totally interested!”

“Then she’d better gather her things and we’ll be off. Bit, don’t be surprised if she doesn’t come home for dinner.”
***