Chapter 12

“How about these bushy thingies?”

“Those are nice, pet.”

“Oooh, and they bloom too. Little purple flowers.”

William grinned, seeing Buffy’s excitement at landscaping their backyard. To be honest, he was shocked to see that she was serious about doing the gardening.

“Look, seeds!” Buffy grabbed handfuls of vegetable and wild flower seeds. “What do you think?”

William browsed through the stack. “Rutabagas? Turnips? I haven’t even heard of this one here. Kitten, do you even like these veggies?”

“Nope, but my garden will accept all members of the vegetable community.” Buffy nodded her head to stress her belief.

“You do remember we don’t have a farm, right?”

“Right.”

William rolled his eyes as she squealed, finding matching his and hers straw gardening hats.
***

“Mmmm, gardening is fun.” Buffy leaned back against William as they sat under the shade tree, sipping ice water. They had spent most of the morning bantering about Miracle Grow and plant placements. Buffy was sure that after their little dirt throwing fight, she would definitely need a bath. “I’m glad we can do this stuff.”

“What stuff?”

“You know, domestic-y stuff.”

“Buffy, have you—um, love, do you think about us, ah, futures and whatnot--.”

“Shhh.” Buffy rolled in his embrace to face him. “Of course I do. Spikey, I’m still technically a teenager. I dream about us—about our future together, and I’m happy to report it looks like it will be pretty good.”

“Is that right? How good?”

“Really, really good. White picket fences and everything.”

“Hmmm, I’m not wearing overalls in your vision, am I?”

“What makes you think that?” Buffy couldn’t stop her giggles.

“Ah huh. I’m sure you have prize-winning tomatoes and a regular Charlotte’s Web’s awesome pig, huh?”

“Yup, and lots of little kiddies with a tree house and—oh, one of those tire swings.”

William sobered slightly. “How many kids?”

“Oh, um, did you ever want kids?” She tried not to wrinkle her nose at the thought of her William having children with her mother.

“It’s okay. I knew Joyce didn’t want any but I wouldn’t mind having a few with you.”

Buffy smiled, kissed his chin, and sighed happily. “A few would be super.”
***

“Come on, old man.” Buffy pushed William into the house.

“I’m not old, just…”

“Stiff, sore and tired, all the symptoms of an old fuddy duddy who worked all day.”

“You’re mean.”

“I know.” Buffy shoved him into the recliner. “Oh, I love your pouty face.” She kissed the top of his head. “I’ll make it up to you.” She unlaced and removed his shoes. When his feet and chest were bare, she gave his lips a quick kiss. “Lunch will be ready soon. Here’s the remote.”

William beamed as he watched her walk into the kitchen.
***

“In you go.”

“You’re too kind sweets, taking care of me.”

“Yeah, yeah. Move back. Give me some room.” William slid to the back of the tub giving her enough space to rest against his chest comfortably “Closer. You shouldn’t have made me wait so long.”

“Mmmm…” William wrapped his arms around her so he could cup each breast with the palms of his hands. “Sorry,” he said, squeezing lightly.

“Forgiven.”

“You’re easy, love.” He moved to knead her shoulders; her hair was still tied up in a messy bun.

“Yup. But only with you”

“It sure as hell, better be only with me or I’ll--.”

“Shhh. Only you. There’s no need to go all Big Bad on me. Even if I do think it is all kinds of uber sexy.” She patted his knee under the water.

“Uber sexy?”

“Uber.”

“You’re strange.”

“Well, I’m easy and strange and you’re old. Don’t we make a charming couple?”

“Of course.”

Buffy was pulled into his embrace as he wrapped an arm around her waist.

“You’re the baddest of the bad, William.”

“That’s right, let me show you, kitten. Up you go.”
William lifted her and was ready to nestle himself in her heat.

“Wait.” Buffy sloshed in the water. “I like seeing you. She turned herself in his arms and curled onto his body, leading his erection into her as she pushed her forehead against his. “Ahhh, that’s much better. Hold me tighter please. Oh, and William, if we make a mess I’m making you clean it up. Got me?”

“I got you. I’ll be good.”
***

“Are you really going to leave this time?”

“I have to. I have to work and bring home the bacon.”

“I don’t like bacon.”

“Stop pouting. I’m coming back for you tomorrow night. See, I remembered your demands.”

“Okay, it’s just…this isn’t getting easier, damn it.”

“I know, kitten. It won’t get better.”

“Thank you Mr. Optimism.” She let go of his hand. “Tomorrow, then?”

“Tomorrow.”
***

“You’re back. Joy.”

“What did I do now, Anya?”

“Nothing, it is just that you’ve gotten a lot of messages lately and that annoys me.”

“From who? It isn’t Riley, right?”

“Not Riley. Xander.” Anya walked to the counter and gave Buffy a handful of notes. “It seems a certain someone saw a certain someone kissing a certain someone, in the Art building.”

“God that’s a lot of someones.” Buffy made a face. “Xander knows.” She shuffled through the messages. “Let’s see…We have an Ew with lots of exclamation points and an ick in capital letters. Good thing he wrote them because I can’t read a word of them.”

“You’re in deep trouble,” Anya said matter-of-factly as she grabbed her bag and left the dorm.
***

“Xander?” Buffy walked carefully down the stairs into Xander’s room, which was in his parent’s dank basement. “Xander are you home—Oh. My. God!”

“Buffy!”

“Good God! Is there some sort of curse on me? Thou shall see all of your friends naked!” Buffy turned and hid her eyes. “You didn’t even tell me you were together.”

“Well, I told you he left lots of messages. You should have concluded--.”

“That any guy who stays around you for more than 30 minutes will become your love slave?”

“Well, I wouldn’t say Xander is my love slave. He is more like my--.”

“Anya, honey, shut up. Buffy, why are you here?”

“Why does everyone tell me to shut up--.”

“Shut up Anya. I thought you would want to yell at me because of William.”

“Anya, I think you should go. I’ll call you later.”
***

“How long?”

“Not long. A little before school started—the kissing anyway. Lethal amounts of sexual tension before that.”

“Is that why, when we moved you in, you guys were always disappearing together?”

“Yes. Xander, I--.”

“No, Buffy. Why are you doing this? Why are you with that thing?”

“William’s not a thing!”

“I guess not. He’s your mom’s fiancé.”

“Yeah, he was. But I’m with him now--.”

“Buffy, it’s wrong. Disgusting--.”

“Immoral. Damning. Greedy. Just plain bad. Xander, don’t you think I know these things? William and I talk about it all the time. All we tried to do was resist each other but it didn’t work. It doesn’t work. I’m meant to be with him, Xand.”

“So, you think just because you both acknowledge the wrongness of it all, everything’s peachy keen? I think not. What are you thinking?”

“That I love him and that you’re not my father.”

“No, but someone has to act like--.”

“Xander, I love you but the stubbornly overprotective big brother bit is getting old.”

“Buffy, he was going to marry your mom. Doesn’t that ick you out? Besides he’s double your age--.”

“Xander, I give up. I don’t know what to say. But I did my part already. I hated myself for wanting William. I felt guilty. But I need to be okay with it now. I need to be with him. He completes me, and before you make faces, it’s true, all that bad romance novel stuff. If I don’t have him, I’ll go insane.”

“You don’t need him.”

“Yes I do, and I want him. I love him.”

“Buffy--.”

“Nope, I’m done here, Xand. I love you, you’re my best friend and I don’t want us to end because of William. But I will let it if you can’t accept him.”

“I still don’t know, Buffy.”

“Tell me when you know. See ya, Xander.”
***

“Hey, I’m here to--.”

“Pick up Buffy, I know. Come in. She’s in her room. Tell her I’m mad at her and that Xander hasn’t been in the mood since their little talk and I’m having withdraws... Hey! Hey! I’m talking to you!”

William ignored Anya and knocked on Buffy’s door. When there was no answer he pushed it open. “Hey, cutie.”

“Hey.”

Buffy spoke with her head underneath her pillow. William noticed she was wearing his clothes. A stolen shirt and boxer shorts. ‘Looks better on her anyway,’ he thought. ’“We still on for today and tomorrow, pet?”

Buffy didn’t answer with words instead William heard a collection of moans and grunts.

“Buffy…come out, come out, princess.” William took away her pillow and gently rolled her over. “Hey, there. Nice to see you.”

Buffy made a weak smile and then reached out for him. “William, I…I—Xander hates me! He-he said I was disgusting…that I needed--.” She stopped and sniffed loudly, clasping onto William’s shirt. “He said he doesn’t know if we can be friends if I stay with you.”

“Shhh…”

“That’s all I get? No ‘it’s gonna be ok, pet,’ or ‘I’ll kill that booger?’”

“It’s bugger love.”

“William.”

“What?”

“Give me sweet talk and words of assurance.”

“Okay. It will all be right as rain, pet. Someday the whelp will wake up and think, ‘Gosh golly, maybe they aren’t wrong after all.’”

“William that’s not helping. Do you think we’re moving too fast? I mean yesterday you mentioned the k-word.”

“Huh?”

Buffy rubbed her eyes and whispered. “Kids.”

“Oh, that was just talk love.”

“Just talk?” William rolled his eyes at the sight of more tears. “I think we’re moving at a brilliant pace, kitten. As long as you’re happy, I’m happy. Sod the rest of ‘em.” He kissed the tip of her nose.

Buffy hugged him tightly and spoke into his arm. “Yeah, sod, sod, sod.”
***

“You asleep?”

“I guess not.” Buffy yawned and stretched, looking at the clock.

’Wow. I’ve been asleep for over an hour.’

“Could you sleep?”

“Too much on my mind.”

“Tell me? I’m a good listener.”

“That you are kitten.” He pulled her so she rested on his chest. “I bought you something, love.” He reached into his jacket pocket. “I know we kind of mentioned this earlier but there’s something to make it more official”

‘God. God.’ Buffy felt her heart race. ‘Could it be? Already?’

“Buffy open it, I’m dying here.”

Buffy closed her eyes and peeked as she opened the box. “William…” she gasped at the sight of the silver engraved ring. She burst into tears and held him in a death grip.

“Like it?” William struggled to talk, feeling emotional himself.

“Love it. I love you. Put it on me.”

“Which finger, princess?”

“You choose.”

He picked up her hand and carefully inspected each finger. “And I pick you.” He mumbled as he slipped the ring on her ring finger, kissing it when it was in place. “Consider this a friendly reminder.” He looked into her eyes, not surprised to see more tears. “I intend on making us last. I intend on marrying you, my lovely. I want everyone to know that we are real.” He kissed the shiny silver band. “Just wait with me.”

Buffy looked at their entwined fingers. “I’ll wait.”
***

Buffy woke up early the next morning. It was her favorite time of the day, when the room looked blue and the sheets were cool. She looked down and smiled at seeing William’s head against her stomach. He had pushed up her nightgown sometime during the night, and his cheek rested against her bare skin.

‘Good thing he doesn’t drool.’ Buffy stretched her legs and arms, trying not to disturb William’s naked form. ‘He wants to marry me.’

Buffy hadn’t slept well the night before. Her mind was racing. ‘He wants to marry me.’

She outlined his eyebrows with a finger, lingering at his scar. ‘He’ll be mine. Mine to touch, have, and hold.’

‘Oh, God, he wants to marry me!’
***