A/N:

I don’t plan on getting much response on this chapter, since I’ve left the story for so long. I don’t hate it or dislike, I just put it aside, but a few days ago I decided to dust it off and write it again. It’s pretty much all new and I hope that you like it. If not, stay tuned for an update on one of my other WIPs. Oh, yes and please review?

Jennifer


Chapter 15

“Just how many armies are we feeding?”

“Just one; an army of two…four…uh, eight.”

“Eight people are coming to our house for Thanksgiving? We know eight people?”

“Yes, we know eight people,” Buffy laughed, placing the groceries that she was carrying onto the kitchen table. “You and I make two, then there’s Willow and Oz, Fred and Lorne and then Anya and Xander.”

“See?” she asked, showing William the fingers that she had counted on. “Eight people.”

“But Xander? Did I miss something? Are you speaking with him again?”

“Not exactly. But Thursday will give us the perfect opportunity to mend our fences.”

“You sound pretty confident about that.”

“I am. Why shouldn’t I be?”

“No reason,” William said with an innocent shrug. “But I still won’t be surprised if we have a real old-fashioned Thanksgiving with the turkey and stuffing and bows and arrows. Maybe we’ll even be treated to a bit of violence and bloodshed before dessert. I wouldn’t mind seeing that kid’s head mounted on a stick…”

“William, don’t say that about my best friend.”

“You might agree with me in a few days. From what I’ve seen, that guy can act like a real wanker.”

“So, would a real old-fashioned Thanksgiving involve certain animals too? Say, maybe a big ferocious grizzly bear?”

“Hey, that’s not nice. Here I share a deep dark embarrassing secret with you and you throw it back into my face?”

“I think it’s cute. My Spike’s deathly afraid of Winnie the Pooh and Smokey the Bear.”

“It’s not all bears. It’s that bloody Teddy Ruxpin. If you stumbled across that fucking robot scary in a dark alley, you’d have nightmares too.”

“How old were you exactly when Teddy Ruxpin came out?” When William refused to answer, she giggled and stepped forward to give him a hug. “You shouldn’t have been so sarcastic about my meal. You were mean first.”

“And you’re always sarcastic-free?”

“William!”

“What? What I’d do now?”

“You’re using my words,” Buffy cooed, stroking his defined cheekbone.

“I am not.”

“You are. You’re adopting the way that I talk and I love it. I knew there was a reason that you are the wind beneath my--.”

“Oh, don’t start with that again,” William rolled his eyes, a small smile tugging on his lips as she continued to snicker and nuzzle his face.

“Ah, come on, William. Say it, baby. Say that I’m the wind beneath your wings.”

“I won’t. I’ll never say it out loud,” he said, nudging her back until she bumped against the refrigerator. Various magnets and notes were knocked to the floor, but that didn’t faze Buffy as William licked her neck. “I like it when you get cheeky, my love. Your eyes just sparkle. Your face lights up, it blinds me.”

“William…the groceries…”

“Hush.”

“But…God,” she whimpered, her heart pounding as he parted her legs. Her knees threatened to collapse once he pulled at the zipper of her jeans. “My-my turkey...”

“Forget it. We don’t know how to cook the damn thing anyway.”

“I bought a cookbook.”

“Oh, that’ll save us.” Kneeling on the floor, William slid both her pants and underwear down in one graceful motion. “Did you ever help Joyce in the kitchen?”

“Um, not exactly.”

“You do realize that your bird can’t be stuffed in the microwave, right?” Not waiting for a response, he undressed Buffy further until she was standing before him in nothing but her hot pink flip-flops. “Now, if I put away all the perishables, will you run upstairs? I want you sprawled across our bed and ready for me.”

“Uh, okay.” With a flushed face, Buffy gathered up her discarded clothes and headed out of the kitchen. “God, I’d hate to know what the neighbors think of us. We definitely need to invest in some blinds for the windows…”
***

“Do we have a blender?”

“We might, but it’s older than you so, it probably won’t work.”

“What’s the difference between a food processor and blender? Don’t both machines do the same thing?”

“I don’t think so, cutie.”

“So how much would a food processor cost?”

“Too much for one bloody meal.”

“William, we’ve talked about this. Don’t say ‘bloody’ when we’re discussing food. It’s gross.”

“Sorry.”

“I forgive you,” Buffy said, looking over her shoulder to smile at William.

“Aren’t you finished with that yet?”

“Nope. I haven’t even touched the turkey section yet.”

“Can you at least come over here? I feel like I’ve been loved and left for a fucking cookbook.”

“Awww.” Taking her eyes from the book, Buffy sat up from where she had been lying on her stomach. “I just don’t understand why I need a food processor for so much. The Pilgrims didn’t have food processors and they handled Thanksgiving just fine.”

“I’m sure that the Pilgrims would’ve taken advantage of TV dinners if they had the chance. Why slave away in the kitchen when you can zap a tray into the microwave?” William asked, his eyes dazzling as Buffy crawled to him on her knees.

“You’re probably right,” she sighed, slipping under the covers of their bed. “But I want the picture perfect dinner for Thursday. In those paintings, you don’t see the family gathered around the table and feasting on their little plastic trays.”

“That’s because they’re smart. They fix the pre-made dinners and serve it on the fine china. I’m sure if you squint at the nearest Rockwell, you’ll find the trash full of plastic trays.”

“Okay, you make a good point,” she laughed, giving him a quick kiss on the lips as she settled into his arms. “I’ll consider the TV dinners, but then we would’ve wasted all that money…”

“We’ll try the cooking, baby. I’ll help, but I just want us to have options.”

“If I ruin it…”

“That’s not what I meant--.”

“It’s okay. I can only boil water on a good day. I won’t be surprised if I mess up Thanksgiving. I’ll be disappointed, but not surprised.”

“We’ll try our best,” William whispered, giving her a comforting squeeze.

“Do you even care about Thanksgiving? I mean, you’re British.”

“But if you live in States—which I did awhile back—you’re never really exempt from American holidays. It’s like being Jewish on Christmas. You’re forced to eat turkey. All the stores close early—if they’re open in the first place. Besides, it’s not so bad to have a day reserved for being thankful, especially since I have so much to be thankful for.”

“Like your new job and big beautiful house?”

“Yes, and I’m also unbelievably thankful for the beautiful woman that shares my bed every night. She’s a real sweetheart. She’s my everything, really. Keeps me sane and grounded. Love her to pieces.”

“She’s very thankful for you as well. She loves you too, William.”

“That’s good to know,” he chuckled, lazily stroking and kneading her exposed breast. “You know with Thanksgiving this week, your winter break will be practically around the corner? It’ll be here before we know it.”

“I’m not looking forward to my first set of college finals. It’ll be hell. I glanced at my syllabuses and everything is going to happen at once—books must be read, presentations must be given, papers must be written and then the tests…William, stop me before I start to hyperventilate.”

“You just need to keep the due dates in mind. Don’t let everything pile up.”

“That is so easier said than done.”

“If you need help…”

“I’ll definitely come to you, crying into my textbooks.”

“And I’ll do my best to save the day, princess.”

“You’re too wonderful.” With that said, she snuggled deeper into William’s body, enjoying the feeling of his bare skin against hers. “After finals, we leave for England. Was that what you were trying to get at before I started foaming at the mouth about school?”

“Two days after your semester ends, we’re gone.”

“There’s another reason why I’m freaking out about Thanksgiving. Since we aren’t having our first Christmas in our house, we can make up for that by having the best Thanksgiving ever.”

“But you plan on having a good time, right? In England? You don’t mind seeing dad?”

“The holidays are about family and I love Giles. I’m looking forward to seeing him again.”

“Me too. As long as he sees the light and wakes up about us.”

“He will.”

“If he doesn’t, what happens then?”

“Uh, we scowl a lot and hope that during out next trip, we’ll convince him that we’re meant to be.”

“That sounds like a plan,” William chuckled, pressing a kiss against her temple. “You make everything sound so simple.”

“It probably has a lot to do with my long history of getting myself in and out of trouble.”

“Your mom told me the wildest stories about you. It’s hard for me to picture my sweet girl as such a rebel.”

“Let’s just say that I get better with age.”

“Ah, something to look forward to.”

“Yup,” Buffy smiled, pulling William in for a slow and lingering kiss.
***

“Suck. Suck. Suck. William, come in here!”

“You rang, sweetness?”

“Try this and tell me if it tastes funny.”

“Buff--.” Before William could protest a spoonful of gravy was pushed past his lips. “Um, I vote on definitely funny, pet.” He tried hard not to make too harsh of a disgusted face when he forced himself to swallow. “I’m sure we can work it out--.”

“No, it can’t be worked out. It’s ruined.”

“Pet--.”

“I can’t. I can’t cook. I hate Thanksgiving. Who really wants to eat a freaking turkey? I don’t, William. I hate turkey.”

“Now, pet…”

“What?”

William frowned at the tone of her voice. “Okay, well, I think it would be safer if I hide upstairs.”

He backed up slightly and was about to turn on his heel when he heard her mumble curses under her breath. “Hey, that’s uncalled for. I was trying to help.”

“Just go.”
***

“Crazy bint,” William whispered, watching Buffy from a secure spot upstairs. Ever since they had started to cook, he was spending most of his time running to and from Buffy.

“William!” Buffy screamed over the sound of pots and pans being slammed together.

”Sod it all, damned if I do, damned if I don’t...”

“Yes, love?” he yelled.

“Where is the fire extinguisher?”

“Fire extinguisher—I’m coming!”
***

“I’d hate to break it to you, Red, but I doubt that the nice buffet people will let you take that in.” William pointed his cigarette in the direction of the pie Willow was carrying as she and Oz walked towards the restaurant.

“Why don’t you go in, sweetie? I’ll be in soon,” Willow said, giving Oz’s cheek a light kiss.

Once her boyfriend was out of sight, she joined William as he leaned against the restaurant’s brick wall. “I made this darn pie from scratch. You and the others are going to eat it. I’ll send everybody home with a doggie bag, if I have to.”

“From scratch? Maybe you should’ve helped us cook.”

“Is she crushed?”

“A little, but then add her boy problems on the top of the flaming turkey and watery potatoes…yeah, she’s crushed—and quite mean. I should’ve seen this coming, you know? We talked about this, but still…I don’t know what to do.”

“Oh, Will, I’m sorry. I’m sure she’ll stop being grouchy after today.” Willow looked into William’s blue eyes even though he avoided her stare. “Is there anything that you’d like to talk about? We haven’t talked in awhile…”

“As soon as Buffy is done with her finals, we’re going back to England.”

“Oh?”

“Yeah, dad wants me to help Drusilla. She got suicidal one day and I’m supposed to pick up the pieces.” He threw down his cigarette and snuffed it out with his shoe. “I also plan on prying mom’s ring from my father’s stubborn fingers. We’re announcing the ‘maybe’ wedding today to the others.”

“Maybe? So that’s what you’re calling it these days?”

“I don’t want my dear old daddy to hate me forever and Buffy doesn’t want to get married without his blessing. If things go right—and I haven’t told Buffy this yet—I might marry her in England.”

“Buffy did just lose her mom and her dad has been non-existent. I can see why she wants to keep the peace. If you do get married, call me, I’ll be there.”

“I will, love. You can count on it.”

“Will you be able to handle being around Dru?”

“God, I hope so.”

“Don’t mess things up.”

“Thanks for the crumb of confidence.”

“You know how she made you in the past...”

“I know.”

“We should get in there and join the festivities.”

“Red, if you’re looking for merriment, I think you’re heading into the wrong party.”
***

“Xander, you jerk!”

“Buff, I--.”

As William walked into the crowded restaurant, he saw Buffy run away from Xander and into the women’s restroom. “Great. Could this day get any worse?”

“William, she hurt Xander! She punched him in the face! I like his face and she messed it up.”

“I saw, Anya. What’d the golden boy say?”

“Well, he--.”

“He can answer for himself.” Returning Xander’s glare, William addressed the rest of their guests. “I’ll be outside with Xander. Lorne, you and the girls give Buffy some space. Let’s not have the entire party in the bloody bathroom.”
***

“I--.”

“No, you’re going to listen to me. I’ve got a group of eight people to entertain and a fiancée that’s going to kill me--.”

“Fiancée?”

“Did I say that you could talk? But yeah, Buffy and I are getting married…eventually.”

“Oh. God. You can’t do that! You’re twice her age!”

William’s hands automatically balled into fists. “Now I see why she gave you a good pounding. Do you love Buffy?”

“She is my best friend, of course I--.”

“Well, it’s going to be that she ‘was’ your best friend if you don’t grow up. I wouldn’t even care if she didn’t like being around you so much. Can’t you just get over what you have against me and think about Buffy? I love her and she loves me, but—hell, I hate to even admit it—Buffy misses you, you whelp.”

“Damn, you’re good at this heart-to-heart crap, huh? Maybe if you call me another name--.”

“What part of ‘you’re not talking’ can you not get into that dopey skull of yours? If you don’t make up with her, I’ll--.”

“God, I don’t like you.”

“Well, I hate you.”

“I hate you more.”

“Fine. But before the pissing match starts, can you just say that you’ll apologize?”

“I’ll do it for her and only her.”

“That’s all I’m asking for.” Unable to stop himself, William gave Xander a slap to the back of the head before they reentered the restaurant.

“Hey!”

“After you, dog boy,” he said pleasantly, holding the door open politely for Xander. “Alright, we’ve got one disaster averted, one more to go,” William mumbled as he headed for the women’s bathroom.
***