Yellow


DISCLAIMER: You are mine to toy with! Nothing more, though. All characters (2 of them. Hehe) belong to Joss and my hero, the ‘Grr Arrg’ monster of Mutant Enemy. Song lyrics are Coldplay.


A/N: You know what I’ve noticed? Writing out Coldplay lyrics is HARD when you’re listening to Reel Big Fish! Anyway, this is just a short little Spuffy songfic set somewhere in S6.

~~~

The night was cool, and there was a slight breeze blowing that lifted the hairs on the back of the small blonde’s neck. The sky was clear, and the moon was full, giving the tombstones a pearly glow.

‘Why are the clear nights always the slow ones?’ Buffy mused to herself. ‘I could use Spike right now. Well, sort of. I wouldn’t mind the company.’ She shook her head vigorously before speaking aloud. “Wow. I’m talking to myself. Definitely not a good sign.”

Her legs were moving, carrying her to places she didn’t even realize she was going. Her eyes were focused upward, on the stars. Trying to find a constellation other than the Big Dipper was her goal tonight. Her eyes had just settled on Orion’s Belt when a quiet voice floated to her ears.


♪Look at the stars,
♪Look how they shine for you.
♪And everything you do,
♪Yeah they were all yellow


She tore her eyes away from the heavens to look around the cemetery. She saw no one, but the singing continued, so she followed the voice.


♪I came along,
♪I wrote a song for you
♪And all the things you do,
♪And it was called Yellow


She continued looking for the voice until she saw a flash of white somewhere ahead. Buffy stopped and began to look above her eye level. She hadn’t even noticed she was practically at the front door of Spike’s crypt. Her eyes roamed further upward, and she saw Spike flash her a smile before he turned by to the sky and continued singing.


♪So then I took my turn.
♪Oh what a thing to have done
♪And it was all yellow
♪Your skin,
♪Oh yeah your skin and bones
♪Turn to something beautiful
♪And you know
♪You know I love you so
♪You know I love you so


Quietly Buffy climbed on top of the crypt and laid down next to Spike. He didn’t move, but she could see something pass across his face in the pale light.


♪I swam across
♪I jumped across for you
♪Oh what a thing to do
♪’Cos you were all yellow


Slowly she inched her hand toward his, craving contact. For a brief second she felt him tense before relaxing and stroking the back of her warm hand with his cool thumb. Buffy sighed heavily and closed her eyes as Spike continued the song.


♪I drew a line
♪I drew a line for you
♪Oh what a thing to do
♪And it was all yellow


She opened her eyes again in order to resume her stargazing. For the first time ever she realized how small the world she protects really is in comparison to everything else. As she stared intently at the Milky Way, the song continued.


♪And your skin, oh yeah your skin and bones
♪Turn into something beautiful
♪D’you know?
♪For you I bleed myself dry
♪For you I bleed myself dry


Buffy smiled slightly to herself. This was the first time since Heaven that she felt at peace. If she concentrated hard enough, she was there again. Warm. Safe. Whole.



♪It’s true
♪Look how they shine for you
♪Look how they shine for you
♪Look how they shine for . . .
♪Look how they shine for you
♪Look how they shine for you
♪Look how they shine


And she did look. The tiny flecks of white in the black expanse of night. Metaphorically, it was like life. The black was all the evil in the world, but there were also the billions of bright spots, representing all that was good. Representing the hope that still remains.


♪Look at the stars
♪Look how they shine for you
♪And all the things that you do


As the last night wavered into silence, Buffy realized she was crying. She quickly wiped the tears away, hoping Spike didn’t notice. He did, of course, but he said nothing.

“How did you know it was me?”

“Vampire senses, pet. I felt you. I always do.”

Buffy paused, as if to contemplate what Spike just said. “You have a really great voice, you know.”

He laughed quietly. “Naw, luv, I just know how to stay in tune.”

She turned to look at him. “Seriously. That was beautiful.”

“I’ve got nothing on Chris Martin.”

“Don’t say that.” She paused. “Spike . . .”

“I know, pet.”

“Know what?”

“Why you came.”

Buffy frowned. “Is that so?”

“Yeah. You needed company. You needed to feel again. Isn’t that right?”


“Well . . . yeah,” she said quietly. “But there was also this . . .” Before Spike got a chance to respond, Buffy had softly pressed her lips to his.

Spike pulled away. “I love you, Buffy.”

In a whisper inaudible to the human ear, Buffy replied, “I love you, too, William,” before kissing him again. It was then that she realized she was right where she needed to be.


END

A/N2: Wow, that was sappy. Oh well. I actually liked this one. A lot more than ‘Whisper.’ What about you (subtle feedback request). For the full effect you really have to listen to ‘Yellow’ by Coldplay while reading this.