Champion by yvonne
Summary: William comes to LA with a friend. Not spuffy yet as it takes place after Chosen.
Categories: General Fics Characters: None
Genres: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: No Word count: 0 Read: 5503 Published: 07/21/2003 Updated: 08/04/2003

1. Champion by yvonne

2. Chapter 2 by yvonne

3. Chapter 3 by yvonne

Champion by yvonne
First time writer (apart from the odd letter or grocery list). Will take all constructive suggestions. Insert standard disclaimers here.







Champion

By Yvonne




"I don't know why I can't go with you. It's not like I'm going to be wrestling or anything.... I'll just watch! You might not even notice I'm there!"

Cordelia was nearing rant mode - weeks of being an invalid had shredded every last nerve she had. Wes and Gunn, and even Fred, were heading out on yet another exciting...well maybe not exciting.... actually probably a boring, routine patrol and she wanted to go. Anything was better than spending even one more hour in her room. Fred was using her patient voice, quiet and calm - God Cordelia hated that voice.

"Cordy, you know you aren't quite up to full strength yet. The doctor said...."

"I know what the doctor said. I hear 'what the doctor said' every time I want to do something, anything around here!" God, Cordelia thought to herself, I hate my whiney voice even more.

"I know, I can go out and talk to people, maybe get a line on that new player, you know, that Toh!rojam demon. Maybe we can find it before Angel.….."

Fred sighed. "Look, Cordelia, you are getting stronger, but it hasn't been that long since you were, um, sick. You will be better in no time and you can start doing more. Just rest, and we will be back before you know it. I'll bring ice cream. Promise."

Cordelia stared at Fred for a moment, and her shoulders sagged. So tired. Still weak. She knew the truth of it. Time and rest, and she could get back at it, be useful again. "Yeah, I know....Sorry, Fred. I shouldn't take it out on you. You guys go, and I will see you later. And don't forget the ice cream." She flashed Fred a ghost of a smile.

Fred sighed with relief and called out to Wes and Gunn in the office "Time to go!" The three shouldered their weapons and left for their patrol.

****************************************************

After two hours and a rest, Cordelia was being fractious again. Being confined to bed for most of the day, then only short periods up had given way to this in-between period. Too weak to start living her life again, but too well to lay about all day. And she was bored. Bored, bored, bored. She wandered around the lobby, through the office, picking things up, putting them down. She tried to make sense of the bills - hopeless. And where is Fred with the ice cream. "God" she shouted "I need something to do!"

Suddenly, the vision hit and she clutched her head and fell to the floor. A small man, cowering in an alley beside a dumpster, gazing up at a menacing dark figure - the monster reaches out toward him with both hands. Cordy gasped, the feeling of danger, the threat of violence tore at her. "Oh no, that's the alley behind the Hyperion. I have to get help." She clambered to her feet and raced to the phone, dialing Fred's cell phone, but only got the recorded message. "They must have turned it off - what am I going to do!" There was nothing for it - she couldn't just stay put - she had to do something.

Grabbing a pistol and a stake from the locker, she ran to the back of the hotel and out the service door and saw........

Nothing.

No fight, no threat, no monster - just an alley.

She looked about, confused. Her visions had always been accurate. She had always known the when and the where. This was the first since.... well, in a long time, but she would never doubt the truth of them.

She moved quietly towards the dumpster, wary and ready, but nothing. As soon as the panic left, her bad mood came back full and nasty.

"Well, that's just great. " she exclaimed. "The Powers That Be finally remember me and they send me a bogus vision."

"The Powers?"

She spun to her right at the sound of the voice. Standing at the edge of the building stood a vampire, grinning, all ridges and fangs.

"The Powers aren't going to help you now, little girl."

Now, Cordelia at her prime maybe could have handled this situation but Cordelia was hardly at her prime. She was already feeling fatigued from the race to the alley, and her limbs felt like lead. She dropped the pistol into her pocket and shifted the stake into her right hand, her mind whirling. She was trying hard to head off the panic when the vamp started to make his move. She had time to draw a breath and tense when suddenly a dark shape hurled itself at the vampire from the alley behind her. A flurry of blows, sharp cracks sounding in the night and the vamp was dust.

Before Cordy fully registered what had happened, she heard running footsteps coming up behind her. Blindly, she struck out with her free left arm, connecting with something soft. It went down with an "Oof". She spun and there, in a heap beside the dumpster, lay a young man, shaking his head in confusion. Sensing movement beside her, she looked over she right shoulder and saw the form of her rescuer coming towards her. He walked past Cordelia, reached forward with both hands, grasped the young man's hands and pulled him to his feet.

Oops, thought Cordelia, proper vision, bogus interpretation! She almost felt, well, a little silly. Way to jump to conclusions, Cordy! Cordelia felt her irritation returning, well on it's way to being a full blown snit.

"OK, what just happened here? And who are you?" she demanded impatiently.

The young man was brushing himself off but paused then looked up at her. His eyes widened as he said "Cordelia Chase? Cordelia, it's me, Jonathon!" He grinned at his silent companion. "It's Cordelia, from Sunnydale."

"How do you know me? And how do you know about Sunnydale?"

"It's Jonathon, Jonathon Levinson - we went to Sunnydale High School together." He shrugged, still smiling. "I guess you don't remember me. I'd be surprised if you did remember me but boy, it is sure great to see you!"

"Great! The Powers send me a vision so I can renew old high school ties. The cosmic joke that is my life......... What?"

At the mention of the Powers, Jonathon's smile vanished. "The Powers? You had a vision? They sent you a vision? About me? About us? I think I may know why. "

"What could you possibly ......" Cordelia started.

They sent me here - well, me and him - I didn't know why. I think I do now. We need, well, I think that you, umm, well..........we could use some help."

Cordy looked at Jonathon, and then at his companion. Her eyes widened as she realized that the face was familiar. Fear gripped her, and she started to raise her stake. Oh, God, it was Spike! Or...was it? The same angular features, the same shock of white hair but with an uncharacteristic bland expression on his face. No, not bland; he looked calm, relaxed, peaceful even. So not Spike.

She shook her head and looked back to Jonathon. "I think that you have some explaining to do. What are you doing with him? This is Spike....William The Bloody. Don't you know how dangerous he is? He's a killer; a vampire - and he is really, really evil."

"William and I, well, it is kind of hard to explain. We kind of died."

"Huh?" Oh boy, thought Cordy, here we go.

End of Chapter 1
Chapter 2 by yvonne
CHAPTER 2

O.K., wasn't expecting that. Cordy took a calming breath.

“Why don’t you start at the beginning. Where ever that is.”

“I don’t really know the beginning” replied Jonathon. “I mean, it just really started for me a couple of weeks ago. One minute I'm in the school basement and the next……. I’m not." He looked down at his hands. " I remember arguing with my friend, then pain, then falling, then I was standing before The Powers." He smiled. "They told me I could earn a second chance. I just had to promise them something and then They gave me hope that someday I would ....."

"What did you have to promise Them?"

"I have promised to take care of The Champion.”

Cordelia glanced over at the still silent figure beside Jonathon. “And him?”

“He is the Champion.”

Now Cordelia had been “away” for a while, but she knew enough about Spike to be sure that he was no champion .

She gave a snort of laughter. “Look, I know this guy - he’s a vampire. He’s not a ‘champion’, much less The Champion with a capital ‘C’. He’s evil” she smirked "Evil with a capital E.”

She threw another glance in the direction of the silent figure in time to see the ghost of a smile. Now that was weird.

Jonathon looked at her with a steady gaze. “Touch him.”

She looked startled “No, I am SO not going to touch him. Are you crazy?”

Jonathon gently took her hand and placed it over Spike’s heart. Cordelia’s eyes widened as she felt the steady beat. Oh boy. Angel is going to love this! Or not.....

Cordelia pulled her hand away and started walking back to the hotel. “I think we need to talk. Maybe you should both come in.”

****************************************************

“Spike saved the world? That’s rich.”

“It’s Will - Will now.” Jonathon glanced over at the former vampire. He had settled on the couch, closed his eyes and appeared to be asleep. “He’s not the same person as before. He fought for his soul. He stood with Buffy against The First. He stopped the Apocalypse and saved the world. The Powers had always known that he was special; They spoke of the prophecy he fulfilled….”

“That prophecy was about Angel” Cordelia interjected “not about Spi…I mean him" she pointed, and whispered "......Will."

“It was about a soulled vampire. Will’s destiny was always known to the Powers. He did not disappoint Them. His reward was to be given life. There was only one problem. The Powers did not expect that he would go mad with guilt when he fought for and won his soul. They thought his intellect would help him, that he could put his past behind him but they were wrong. So when they brought him back.....here.....they took most of his memories - 120 years of memories. He knows a little about the world, but is not more than a child, really. He would be helpless on his own. That is where I come in. I watch out for him. I help him. I’m his…”

“You’re his father.” Cordelia shook her head. “Why did you get sent to me. How do I fit into this?” She looked up quickly, grimacing. “I’m not supposed to be his mother, am I?”

Jonathon pondered that just a little longer than Cordelia felt comfortable with, then said “No. I think that They thought that you would be able to help with the necessities, you know, a place to stay, food. We have been pretty much living on the street." He glanced again at the other man. "Not fitting for a champion, but until I can get some money together that is all I can manage.”

“So you want money?”

“I want a job. Anything. I just need to....Just enough to get a small stake, maybe. To find a place to live. We don't need much....HE doesn't need much.....I just need to make things right for him.”

“Why is this so important to you? Why are you doing this?"

"I 'm trying to earn my second chance, like I said. I, uh, did some stuff - bad stuff. I was kind of evil.”

Cordy looked askance at the mild little man across the table. "And then you died."

He sighed, “My friends and I had big plans, plans that didn’t seem too evil at the time. It just seems like it would be fun, but people got hurt.” His face twisted. "It got bad and I knew that it had to stop, but I was weak and afraid. Then things got really crazy with the magic and the people dying and I left Sunnydale, but I always knew that I had to return; I had to atone. I just never got to - atone, that is. Andrew..... he was my friend - we came back to Sunnydale to do good stuff and he killed me." Jonathon shook his head. "Look, I really need to make up for the evil I did." He gestured toward Will. "I take care of him and maybe, someday, it will be enough.”

Fatigue dragged at Cordelia. Too much to process and she knew enough to figure that if the Powers involved her, then it was important to get it right. Somehow, there was no doubt in her that the story she had been told was the truth. She just couldn’t make any decisions before a night or three of really good sleep. Oh God, sleep - where was she going to put them? The others might be back any moment. Somehow, she thought that the others maybe shouldn’t be involved just yet. The hotel had dozens of empty rooms. Who’d notice a couple of rooms suddenly not-so-empty? She stood and stretched. “Come with me, you two, and we will get you settled in for the night. We’ll talk in the morning.” She unlocked the linen room, took out some bedding and towels and brought the men up to the 3rd floor, stopping at two rooms at the end of the hall. “Take these and make your rooms up. I’ll bring you breakfast in the morning. Stay quiet, all right? I don’t want to have to explain you two until I figure it out for myself.” She unlocked the doors, handed over the keys, threw a weary “Goodnight” over her shoulder, and took herself off to bed.


End of Chapter 2
Chapter 3 by yvonne
CHAPTER 3

Cordy woke feeling better than she had in a long time. It was early, so she showered and dressed and made her way down to the kitchen. The coffee was already on, so she knew someone was up. She poured a mug for herself and walked out to the lobby. Yup, there was someone up, all right. It was Angel.

“Angel! Why......? I mean, hi!” Cordelia winced, still the boss - remember, even if he didn't live here anymore. “Is something wrong? I, uh, I mean, it’s just that it has been a few days……since, you know, since we have heard from you and...”

“Cordy,” he said softly, “how are you?”

“I’m great!” She grinned a little too brightly at him “Practically back to myself, who ever that was.”

“That’s great! I mean, I’m glad you are feeling better. It’s nice to see you up and around.” He looked wistful. “I’ve missed you.”

Cordelia now knew something was up. Angel brooding was whatever passed for normal in her experience. This was more like someone had taken his favorite toy away. “Something IS wrong. You are giving me the wiggens here. Is it Wolfram and Hart? Has something happened?”

Angel looked startled. “No, nothing is wrong. I was just out all night trying to get information about the new threat and the sun was going to catch me, so I thought I would stop by here for the day. That’s all right, isn’t it?”

There was that look on his face again. Cordelia sighed, “Of course it’s all right - hello? this is your hotel! I’ll get your room ready.”

“That’s OK - I got it. I’ll be off to bed.” He looked intently at her then smiled and said softly “I have missed you, you know.”

Cordy looked steadily at him. “Me too. Now go off with you and I’ll talk to you later when you have had some rest. Sleep well, Angel.” She watched him tread wearily up the stairs. Something is definitely up with him. For the zillionth time since she learned about the world lurking just beyond the shadows, she made note that crises never came just one at a time! The why escapes her, but the certainty of that piece of knowledge could not be denied.

She hurried back to the kitchen, quickly got together two more coffees and the makings of a simple breakfast. She piled everything in the dumbwaiter, set the control and sent it up to the third floor. She lightly ran upstairs, slid the tray out on to the waiting trolley, and pushed it down to the end of the hall.

She rapped quietly on the first of the two doors at the end of the hall, then moved on to the second. Before she could raise her hand to knock, the first door opened. Sp....Will, she corrected herself, stood in the doorway regarding her silently. She felt a little thrill of fear run through her. “I brought coffee.” she said brightly, “and cereal…. You do eat cereal, don’t you? I mean if there is something else you want…I mean to eat....I mean for breakfast….. like…. eggs! Eggs or….. toast?….. or…..?” She laughed nervously, get a hold of yourself, Cordelia, he is NOTdangerous. Jonathon said. He’s a champion. THE Champion. Jonathon SAID. Oh, boy, that's not very convincing. I mean, just because he's human, doesn't mean that he can't hurt people - ME even. People hurt people all the time......I'll just go.........

Cordelia started edging around the trolley, poised to run but, oops, he was between her and the staircase. Lovely bit of planning that was, Cordy. She could feel the panic bubbling up inside her; she tensed to push the trolley at him so she could run when suddenly, he smiled, a sweet open smile. Her mouth gaped.

His smile was gentle and guileless. His eyes were soft, innocent even. He nodded his head politely and said “Thank you. This will be fine and much appreciated. But we must wake my friend. He has had a difficult time lately. There wasn’t much food, you see.”

Cordelia gave herself a mental shake. Well, at least he still sounds English!

************************************************

She left her guests to their breakfasts and returned to the kitchen to finish her coffee. As she entered the room, a startled Fred spun to face her.

“Oh, Cordelia” she laughed “you are up. I thought you were. There’s coffee made.”

“ ‘morning, Fred. Actually, Angel made it. He is upstairs, sleeping now. I didn’t hear you come in last night. Anything interesting happen?”

“No, not really. Everything is laying pretty low. Well, actually, we did learn a little. We talked to a few of the demons around. They’re pretty skittish - what with the killing and all. ‘cept, no one seems to know what this demon is. It got to town fairly recently, we think. It’s fast and strong and maybe black but beyond that, we have no more of a clue than before we went out. Oh, we did find out what the name means. It is in an obscure demon tongue, and it means “White Devil”. Funny, being black you'd think that it would be the Black Devil, or the Dark Devil or....”

Cordelia narrowed her eyes. There was a thought bouncing around in her head, pieces coming together. She pretended calm and took a sip of her coffee, her mind spinning. “What else did you hear, Fred?”

Fred fluttered her hands. “Oh, you know," she laughed nervously "this and that. But one really interesting thing came out. You know how we have been hearing that demons are being killed? They are, but so far no one who is peaceful has been hurt, and Jraedg, remember Jraedg? Wesley’s snitch? The one that, remember, gave us the address of that vamp nest that wasn't? What a waste of time that was. He told us, well not that we just accept his word, cause, you know, not reliable, but he said someone saw the Toh!rylojam protecting a Grellning demon, who was probably drunk, you know how they are, no sense at all, always fun, fun, fun and then the next thing....."

"Fred? The point?""

"Sorry, I do go on...Anyway it kept the Grellning from getting run over! Pretty much risked it's life! I mean how can that be? Some supposed mad dog killer is out there and it helps tipsy demons across the street!? I mean it would serve them right, always going off and ......."

Fred prattled on - a comforting and familiar sound - and Cordy mulled over the last bit of information. LA had a new player, and the new player was a hero of sorts. The Hyperion has a new guest and he's The Champion.

LA's new hero just might be The Champion.

Huh. Now what?



End of Chapter 3
This story archived at http://https://spikeluver.com/SpuffyRealm/viewstory.php?sid=122