Open Your Heart by TammyAsh666
Summary: Hank Summers has been a police officer for years. He has to go out of town at the same moment his daughter's life is threatened. He then assigns another officer to protect her. That's where Spike comes in. He knows his job is dangerous and has sworn to never get too close to anyone, but he's finding it hard to keep that promise with Buffy around.
Categories: General Fics Characters: None
Genres: Romance, Action, Angst
Warnings: Violence
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 13 Completed: Yes Word count: 16427 Read: 17079 Published: 07/18/2005 Updated: 08/25/2005

1. Prologue by TammyAsh666

2. Chapter 1 by TammyAsh666

3. Chapter 2 by TammyAsh666

4. Chapter 3 by TammyAsh666

5. Chapter 4 by TammyAsh666

6. Chapter 5 by TammyAsh666

7. Chapter 6 by TammyAsh666

8. Chapter 7 by TammyAsh666

9. Chapter 8 by TammyAsh666

10. Chapter 9 by TammyAsh666

11. Chapter 10 by TammyAsh666

12. Chapters 11-12 by TammyAsh666

13. Chapters 13-14 by TammyAsh666

Prologue by TammyAsh666
Author's Notes:
I had this idea in my head for a while and I figured I should try and write it down. I think it turned out pretty good for a story that’s not that long. I believe it’s about 14 chapters long. I guess I’ve had shorter. I don’t really know if it’s possible to fall in love this fast, but I wanted to get things moving. I know how you guys can be impatient for your Spuffy, which is understandable. Feel free to leave me a review, so I know how I did with this. I’ll take anything=)
Prologue

He walked into the police station, with a look of pride on his face as everyone around clapped and congratulated him.

“That was awesome, Hank. You finally caught the guy after all this time.”

Hank Summers smiled at the man that spoke. He has been a police officer for twenty years and a Lieutenant for about thirteen. He couldn’t keep the smile off of his face knowing that Marcus Hamilton was finally put behind bars. The man has had too many close calls and he was finally caught. He entered his office and smiled again when he noticed the young man that was there waiting for him. “We finally got him, Spike.”

He graced the Lieutenant with a smile of his own. “You got him, Hank. I knew it was bound to happen. No one can get away from you.”

Hank felt pride again knowing that this young man practically idolized him. Spike has only been an officer for over a year, but Hank was really proud at all that he has accomplished at such a young age.


* * * * *


Hank returned home later that night, taking his hat and coat off. He could smell a wonderful fragrance coming from the kitchen and became a little suspicious.

A young, blonde girl then came out of the kitchen. She had a smile on her face once she saw him. “Daddy, you’re home. You must be exhausted after a long day of work,” she said, grabbing his hand and pulling him into the kitchen. “Take a seat; I’m sure you’re starving.”

Hank stared at his daughter, with a confused expression on his face. “You cooked? Should I be worried?”

The girl rolled her eyes. “You need to have faith in me, Dad. I can cook, I just sometimes choose not to.”

Hank wasn’t convinced and looked around, noticing that the kitchen was actually spotless. “Did you clean in here?”

She flashed him another smile. “Yep, I also did the living room.”

Hank was beyond suspicious now. “Okay, what do you want?”

She pretended to be shocked at his question. “You know, I’m really hurt. Why do I have to want something? Can’t I just do something nice for my father?”

Hank wasn’t buying it. “I know you, Buffy. You’re not one to cook or clean unless you want something.”

She sighed and sat down across from him. “Okay, I should have known you would see through that. It’s a small thing, really. I was just hoping that I could get an increase in my allowance.”

Hank raised his eyebrows at her suggestion. “May I ask what for?” he wondered.

“Well, I was shopping the other day and I saw these really cute boots. They would look so good on me, and they’re only two hundred dollars.”

Hank choked on the food he was eating.

She hit him on the back.

He started to calm down and took a deep breath. “Two hundred dollars for a pair of boots? That’s a bit much.”

Buffy shrugged. “It’s not so bad. I’m not asking for a lot here, Dad. I’ll do more chores around the house. Pretty please,” she said with her famous pout.

Hank knew he was lost. “All right, I’ll think about it. You will be pulling your grades up as well, young lady.”

Buffy nodded and gave him a hug “Thank you, Daddy. I promise I’ll make you proud.”

He smiled and kissed the top of her head. “I’m already proud. Now, get upstairs and do your homework.”

Buffy stood up and saluted her father. “Yes, sir,” she said, heading out of the kitchen and up the stairs.

Hank smiled again as he watched her go. Buffy was his whole world. She was all he had left since he lost his wife years ago in a hit and run. He knew his job could be dangerous, but he would do anything to protect his little girl.
Chapter 1 by TammyAsh666
Chapter 1

Hank entered his office the next day and was greeted by a smiling Spike.

“I’m surprised you didn’t take the day off.”

Hank shook his head. “There are still a lot of bad guys out there. I may have caught Hamilton, but I’m far from finished.”

Spike nodded in agreement. “Always about work, aren’t you? That’s why I admire you, Hank. I’m not one for having much of a personal life, either.”

“You’re still young, though. You should be out there having fun, not always being stuck in here.”

Spike shrugged and glanced around Hank’s office. “I don’t mind it, really. I love what I do, nothing else really matters.”

Hank looked concerned and realized that he didn’t know much about the younger man. “What about girlfriends?”

Spike took on a pained expression before he answered. “I don’t really date anymore.”

Hank decided to drop the subject. He knew that Spike didn’t like to talk about it.

Spike continued to look around the office to keep himself occupied. His eyes then landed on a picture that was sitting on Hank’s desk. “Who’s that?” he wondered.

Hank noticed what had his attention and smiled at the picture. “This is my daughter,” he explained, picking up the framed photo.

Spike raised his eyebrows. “That’s Buffy?”

Hank only nodded.

“I thought she would have been a lot younger with the way you’ve been talking about her.”

“Well, she’ll always be my little girl. She’s a senior in high school now.” He then handed the picture to Spike, who took it with shaky hands.

Spike gazed at the photograph closer and his breath nearly caught in his throat. She was a very beautiful girl.

“That was her senior picture. She hates it, but I think it’s one of her best ones.”

Spike nodded and barely heard what Hank said. He traced his fingers over the girl’s face, then stopped suddenly and gave the picture back to Hank. “She’s very pretty,” he said when he finally found his voice.

Hank smiled at the comment. “That she is. She looks so much like her mother.”

Spike could tell how much the older man loved his daughter. He wished that he had someone in his life that meant that much to him. He may act like he was okay, but sometimes he was tired of being alone. He knew his job was risky, though. After what happened to his last girlfriend, he never wanted to get too close to someone again.


* * * * *


Hank arrived home later and found an envelope on his doorstep. He picked it up and walked into the house. He wondered what it was as he closed the door. He put his stuff down and opened the envelope. There was a note inside, with the letters cut out of the newspaper. He became even more worried once he read it, then looked to see what else was inside. He put it away when Buffy came down the stairs.

“Hey, how was work?”

Hank looked at his daughter, with the same somber expression on his face.

“What’s wrong?” she wondered.

Hank shook his head. “Nothing, I just need you to stay upstairs.”

Buffy felt even more concerned. “Dad, what is it?”

Hank moved closer to her and placed his hands on her shoulders. “Everything will be fine, Buffy. I just need you to do this for me, all right?”

Buffy stared into his eyes and nodded. She then turned and ran back upstairs.

Hank left the house to look around outside. He didn’t even know what he would find, but he had to look anyway. He went back inside a few minutes later when he didn’t find anything. He would like to think that it was just a practical joke, but he knew better than that. His daughter’s life was threatened and he wouldn’t just sit back and do nothing.


* * * * *


“Hey, I heard you were going to New York. That’s a pretty big job, but they gave it to the best man.” Spike told Hank the next day.

“I really don’t think it’s a good time for me to be traveling. This trip could take weeks,” he replied.

Spike nodded. “Yeah, but you’ll be doing a good thing. There are other people out there that need you, Hank. You have to protect this witness, until he’s ready to testify in court. You’re probably the only one that can handle him.”

Hank agreed. “I know that, but I can’t leave Buffy alone right now.”

Spike still didn’t see what the problem was. “She’s a big girl, right? I’m sure she can take care of herself.”

Hank ran his fingers through his hair. “It’s more serious now,” he stated, pulling out the note and handing it to Spike.

He read it over and looked up at Hank.

“This was at my door, which means he knows where I live and could come back at anytime.”

“Who is this bloke? It says he wants revenge because you put his brother away.”

Hank nodded. “It’s Hamilton’s brother. I don’t know much about him, but he knows about Buffy.” He then pulled out an envelope from his pocket and took the photos out that were in it. “These are pictures of Buffy at school. The bastard has been following her around. He wants to get to me through her.”

Spike looked at the pictures and grew just as concerned as Hank.

“I don’t think I can afford to leave to New York right now, knowing that she could be in danger.”

Spike nodded in understanding when Hank was finished. “What are you going to do? You’re the only one that can take this mission, Hank. I’m definitely not qualified for it.”

He suddenly had an idea. “There’s only one thing I can do. I can’t get out of this, so I was wondering if you could do a huge favor for me.”

Spike nodded again. “Yeah, I’ll do anything.”

Hank thought about it for a moment. “I hate to ask you this, but I don’t have any other options right now. Spike, I need you to protect Buffy for me.”

Spike’s eyes bulged and he waited for Hank to continue.

“I was hoping that she could stay with you until I return. He knows where my house is, so it would be too risky.”

Spike really wanted to help Hank out, but he didn’t know if Buffy staying with him was such a good idea. She already stirred feelings in him just by looking at her picture. He didn’t know what he would do if he had to see her in person, but one look at the distressed expression on Hank’s face and he knew what his answer would be. “I’ll do it.”

Hank smiled and gave Spike a pat on the back. “I really appreciate this. I wouldn’t give this job to just anyone. I trust you, Spike. I know that you would take good care of her.”

Spike let out a breath that he didn’t even realize he was holding. “Yeah, you don’t have to worry about that.”

“I’ll talk to Buffy tonight and let her know. I’m sure she would be fine with it.”

Spike wasn’t easily convinced. She was a teenage girl, after all. He really hoped he knew what he was getting himself into.
Chapter 2 by TammyAsh666
Chapter 2

“You want me to stay with a stranger?”

Hank should have known that Buffy probably wouldn’t take the news well. “It’s for your own good. I won’t be able to protect you.”

She rolled her eyes. “I don’t need protection. I’m not a kid; I can take care of myself.”

He knew how stubborn his daughter was. “I can’t risk it, Buffy. If this guy is anything like his brother, then you’re not safe. I’m doing this because I don’t want anything to happen to you.”

“I get that, but I don’t understand why this guy would be after me. I didn’t even do anything.”

Hank knew this part would be harder. “It’s what I did. I put his brother away and he wants me to pay for it. He knows how important you are to me.”

Buffy still wouldn’t let it go. “Why can’t I just go with you?”

Hank shook his head. “You know you can’t afford to miss any school. I promise I’ll try to be back as soon as I can.”

Buffy crossed her arms over her chest and knew that she wouldn’t win. “How do you know this guy is trustworthy?” she asked after a few seconds.

“I would trust Spike with my life. He’s a good cop and a good man. You would be safe with him. I told him that I would take you over there this weekend. I have to leave Saturday morning.”

Buffy sighed and decided to give in, but she didn’t have to like it. “Fine, I guess I don’t have much of a choice. Just promise me that you’ll be okay?”

Hank smiled and gave his daughter a hug. “I’ll be fine, Buffy. You just take care of yourself.”

Buffy pulled out of the embrace, waving her hand in the air. “You know me, careful is my middle name.”

Hank rolled his eyes, but kept the smile on his face. “Yeah, sure it is.” He hugged her again, hoping that she would be safe.


* * * * *


They arrived at Spike’s apartment over the weekend.

Hank knocked on the door.

Spike opened it after a moment and graced them with a smile. “Hey, come in.”

They both walked inside.

Buffy then felt a chill and wrapped her arms around herself.

Spike noticed this and frowned. “Sorry, it can get a bit cold in here. I’ll just turn down the air,” he said and walked away to do just that.

Buffy looked around the apartment. It was small, but it seemed cozy enough.

Spike made his way back over to them.

Hank noticed how nervous the man seemed. He gave him a polite smile.

Spike felt relieved and smiled back.

“Well, I should get going. I have a plane to catch.” Hank turned his attention on Buffy. “I want you to stay out of trouble and be careful when you go out anywhere. Just because it’s daylight doesn’t mean you’re safe.”

Buffy nodded after hearing the lecture a million times before. “I’ll be fine, Dad.”

Hank nodded as well and gave her a hug. It was hard for him to let her go, but he knew that he had to. “Be safe, all right?” he said, placing a kiss on the top of her head. He glanced back at Spike. “Thank you again for doing this, Spike.”

“It’s not a problem.”

Hank looked at his daughter one more time. “I’ll call as soon as I get settled in.”

“Be careful, Daddy.”

He gave her a wink. “Always,” he replied, then left the apartment.

Spike closed the door once he was gone and turned a nervous smile on Buffy.

They both stood there in silence, when Spike decided to speak first.

“Well, the bedroom is back there. I’ll just take your bag,” he said, grabbing the bag from her and heading to the bedroom.

Mostly everything was black when she got into the room. She also noticed that it was the only room in the apartment. “Um, where would you be sleeping?”

He turned to look at her after placing her bag on the bed. “I’ll be on the couch.”

Buffy shook her head. “That’s really not necessary. I would feel weird taking your bed.”

Spike smiled at her. “It’s no trouble. You’re the guest; it’s the least I could do.”

Buffy nodded and didn’t say anything else about it.

“I’ll just let you get settled. I’ll make us something to eat, you’re probably hungry,” he said in a rush, then walked out of the room and closed the door behind him.

“Well, someone couldn’t get away from me fast enough,” she said to herself and browsed through her clothes to find something more comfortable to change into.


* * * * *


Spike let out a sigh when he left Buffy alone in his room. He ran his fingers through his hair and walked to the kitchen to find something to eat. He didn’t know if he could handle having her live with him for a few weeks. She had to be the most gorgeous creature that he has ever set his eyes on. He hasn’t felt anything like that since Drusilla. He didn’t think he ever would again. Those thoughts confused him and he didn’t know what to do about them. It probably would have been a lot easier if he just let Hank give the job to someone else. He shook his head and started to make a sandwich. Hank asked him and he couldn’t turn the older man down. He was like a father to him. He would do whatever he could to protect Hank’s daughter, but that’s all that he would do. He couldn’t get too close to her, bad things happened when he got too close to someone.

Spike broke out of his thoughts when the door to his room opened to reveal Buffy in a tank top and tiny, black shorts. He gulped when he saw her. Yeah, he was definitely in trouble.
Chapter 3 by TammyAsh666
Chapter 3

Spike tried to focus on what he was doing and not on the girl that was walking around his apartment in barely anything.

“I’m making a sandwich, you want one?” he asked her suddenly.

“Sure,” she replied.

He nodded and started to make another sandwich.

Buffy walked over to him and sat down at the counter. She propped her chin on her hands and stared at him. “So, what’s your story?”

Spike stopped to look at her. “I don’t have one.”

She wouldn’t believe that. “Come on, everyone has a story.”

Spike shook his head and turned away from her. “Not me,” he said softly.

Buffy decided to drop the subject, for now anyway.

He finished the sandwich and placed it in front of her.

She realized that she was hungrier than she thought and took a big bite out of it.

Spike smiled at her and started to eat his own sandwich.

They were both quiet, until Buffy felt something tickle her foot. She glanced down to notice the most adorable creature.

“You have a cat?”

Spike nodded. “Yeah, she must have been hiding in the restroom. She’s usually shy in front of new people.”

Buffy smiled and bent down to pick up the black and white cat.

The cat rubbed her face against Buffy’s and started to purr.

She laughed when it tickled her. “Animals usually love me. I always wanted one, but my dad thought it was too much responsibility. I could have handled it.”

Spike nodded in understanding. He couldn’t help smiling at the display.

“She is so cute. What’s her name?”

“Whiskers,” he answered.

Buffy raised her eyebrows.

“I know it’s not very creative. I just couldn’t think of anything else. It was either that or Fluffy.”

She smiled. “I think it works.”

He returned her smile and threw his paper plate away when he finished the sandwich.

“So, you only live with a cat?” she wondered after putting Whiskers down, only to watch the feline wander back into the bathroom.

“Yeah, pretty much.”

Buffy suddenly felt bad for him. “Seems kinda lonely.”

Spike shook his head. “It’s not so bad, really. I think I’m more of an animal person, anyway.”

Buffy nodded and tried not to be so personal, but she wanted to learn more about him. “You seem kinda young to be a cop. How old are you?” She figured that wasn’t too personal.

“I’m twenty-three.”

She nodded again. “Yeah, that’s a bit young.”

Spike agreed. “I started at a young age. Been training for years. I’ve wanted this ever since I was six-years-old. My father was a police officer and I always wanted to be just like him. He saved so many lives and I knew that it was something I wanted to do for the rest of my life. I lost him when I was in high school, but I still wanted to be a cop. I knew that it would make him proud. Your father gave me a chance and saw potential in me when no one else did. I owe him a lot. He’s been like a second father to me.”

Buffy smiled when she thought of her father. “Yeah, he’s pretty cool. I won’t be following in his footsteps, though. The whole police thing just isn’t for me. I won’t even touch a gun,” she said and cringed at just the thought of it.

“Well, I guess it’s not for everyone. What do you want to do?” he wondered, suddenly wanting to know everything about her.

“I actually wanna be a teacher, which I’m sure some people would think is weird since I hardly even like school.”

Spike smiled at her choice. “What would you like to teach?”

“Definitely English, it’s my best class. I’ve always been a sucker for poetry,” she revealed, hoping that he wouldn’t think she was a geek because of it.

Spike only smiled at her. “I love poetry. I used to write all the time when I was in school.”

Buffy took on a look of surprise. “Really?”

He nodded. “I was bloody awful, though.”

She shook her head. “I’m sure you weren’t.”

Spike felt touched that she was trying to make him feel better about his poetry. “Thank you, but I really was. I was basically a nerd in high school. I used to write poems for this one girl. She was always my inspiration. I decided to get up the courage to read her one and she only laughed at it. Saying I should get a new hobby and that I was beneath her.”

Buffy gasped. “God, she actually said that?”

Spike nodded and still felt hurt by the memory.

“That’s horrible, what a bitch!”

He smiled now. “I don’t like to use that word, but I would have to agree with you there.”

“So, have you dated since then?” she asked, wanting to know if he was seeing anyone.

“To be honest, I’ve only had one girlfriend.” He knew where this conversation would lead and didn’t think he was ready for it.

“That’s it? How is that possible? Have you seen you?” She then blushed at her comment. “Okay, I didn’t mean to say that out loud.”

Spike smiled at how adorable this girl was. “Well, no one wanted to date me in high school. I met her in college and she changed my world. That’s when I became Spike.”

Buffy pointed her finger at him. “I knew that wasn’t your real name.”

He laughed. “What mother would actually name their child Spike? That’s just cruel.”

Buffy shrugged. “I don’t know. It could happen. So, what is your real name?”

Spike wasn’t sure if he should tell her, but he felt comfortable enough with her. “It’s William; I never liked it all that much.”

She smiled. “I kinda like it.”

He smiled in return and decided to move the conversation off of him. “Did your mother actually name you Buffy?”

She playfully slapped him on the arm. “Yes, she did. What’s wrong with my name?” she said with a pout.

Spike had a sudden urge to take her bottom lip into his mouth and suck on it, but tried to shake those thoughts away. “Nothing, it’s a good name. Just wanted to make sure.”

Buffy nodded and didn’t know what else to say, so she just gazed around the apartment. Her eyes focused back on him after a moment. “Can we watch a movie?”

He nodded. “Yeah, I have some movies by the telly. You can see if you like anything.”

Buffy smiled and ran over to the television. She started to look through his movies.

Spike watched her excitement, with a smile of his own.

She then let out a sudden squeal. “You have The Princess Bride? How cute is that? I don’t know of a lot of guys that would have this movie.”

Spike looked embarrassed now. “Well, it’s a good movie.” He didn’t even care to deny that it belonged to him. He figured she would see through that, anyway.

“Are you kidding? I love this movie. I haven’t seen it since I was little. We’re so watching it,” she said, putting the movie in.

Spike had to smile at her again. How was it possible for one girl to be so bloody adorable?

Buffy sat on the couch and waited for the movie to start.

Spike decided to make himself busy by fixing some popcorn. He knew he was in trouble. He hasn’t known her that long, but he was already starting to fall for her. The problem was that he didn’t even think he wanted to stop.
Chapter 4 by TammyAsh666
Author's Notes:
I know things will be moving fast, but I just wanted to get to the Spuffy goodness. So, hopefully no one would tell me to hurry up with it this time. I had to make it somewhat realistic. I’m glad you guys like it so far=)
Chapter 4

Spike glanced over at Buffy when the movie ended to see that she was passed out. He smiled again at how cute and innocent she looked. He then picked her up gently and carried her into his room. He placed her on the bed and covered her up. He spent a few moments just staring at her, brushing some of the hair off of her face. He then took a risk and pressed a kiss to her forehead.

“God, what are you doing to me?” he whispered. Spike gazed at her for a few more seconds, then left the room and closed the door.


* * * * *


Spike was in the kitchen drinking his coffee the next morning.

Buffy walked out of the room, rubbing the sleep from her eyes. She looked at him once her eyes were more focused. “I somehow found myself in your bed this morning. Was I sleepwalking? I’ve been told I do that sometimes.”

Spike shook his head and smiled at her. “No, I carried you in there. You fell asleep during the movie.”

Buffy nodded and walked over to the kitchen. She sat down at the counter. “I must have been more tired than I thought. I hope I didn’t drool on you.”

Spike laughed this time. “There was no drool. How did you sleep, anyway?” he wondered

“Like a baby, your bed is very comfortable.”

Spike nodded and took another sip from his coffee. He then put the mug down and looked back at her. “Do you drink coffee?”

She shook her head. “No, it’s not really my thing. You have any beer?”

Spike raised his eyebrows.

“I was kidding. It’s way too early to be drinking. You know, not that I drink or anything. Buffy and alcohol are very unmixy. We just don’t work well together.” She was embarrassed and looked into his eyes. “Is there a way you can not tell my dad about that? I mean, I only really drank once and I hated it. He really doesn’t need to know.”

Spike noticed the fear on her face and nodded. “It’s just between us.”

She sighed in relief.

“I’m not much of a drinker, either. I’ll only have something every now and then, but you would hardly find any beer.”

Buffy liked the fact that he didn’t drink much. She didn’t want to be dealing with an alcoholic or anything. “So, are you off today?” she asked, changing the subject.

“I’m off for the week, actually. Your father thought I could use the extra time.”

Buffy nodded in understanding. “Let me guess, you’re one of those guys that are all about work. Not much of a personal life, am I right?”

Spike shrugged and placed his coffee mug in the sink. “I don’t have anything better to do. My job can be dangerous; I don’t like getting too close to anyone.” He was surprised that he told her that.

“That’s no way to live. If you don’t let anyone in, you would be living a pretty lonely life,” she replied.

“I don’t really mind it.”

Buffy let out a sigh. “And I thought I was bad. I used to think the same thing. I used to believe that if I never let anyone in, then I wouldn’t get hurt. It ended up hurting anyway because I realized that I really didn’t want to be alone. I don’t know you that well, but I know you don’t want to be alone either.”

Spike gave her a small smile. “You think so?”

She nodded. “I know so; I’m usually good at this sort of thing. So, what happened to make you think that?”

Spike looked away from her and really hoped that she wouldn’t ask that question. It wasn’t something he liked to talk about. He looked back into her eyes and saw the concern there. He then knew that he would tell her anything. He took a deep breath before he spoke. “I was with my girlfriend for two years. The one I told you about. I loved her more than anything; I would have done anything for her. We were walking in the park one night and I planned on proposing to her.” He paused and took another breath as he relived his worst moment. “There was a man. He came out of nowhere and pulled a gun out on us. I grabbed Drusilla and secured her behind me. He ordered us to give him all of our valuables. He was wearing a mask, so I never saw his face. I gave him my wallet and she gave him the jewelry she was wearing. He then went into my pockets and took the ring out that I was going to give to her. When he took that, I just snapped and attacked him. I didn’t even think about it. He grabbed for his gun and pulled the trigger. I knocked him down and looked back at Drusilla. She was staring at me with pain in her eyes and I noticed the blood on her dress. I held her and told her everything was going to be okay, but I knew it was too late. He ran off after that. I was too focused on Dru to pay much attention to him. She...She died in my arms,” he finished, tears forming in his eyes.

Buffy felt like wrapping her arms around him, but she remained where she was. “I’m so sorry, that must have been horrible. You didn’t have to tell me.”

He shook his head. “No, I needed to talk about it. I’ve been keeping that in for too long now. I keep blaming myself for what happened. I should have protected her better. I promised her that I always would.”

The tears were clearly falling down his face now and Buffy couldn’t just sit there anymore. She got up and moved closer, wrapping her arms around him.

Spike turned and buried his head in her chest.

She ran her fingers through his hair to try and comfort him. “It wasn’t your fault. You did all that you could.”

Spike kept shaking his head. “It wasn’t enough,” he whispered.

Buffy continued to hold him as he started to calm down.

He pulled away from her after a few seconds and gazed into her eyes.

Buffy was confused with the look he gave her, until he leaned in and was soon pressing his lips to hers. She was taken by surprise, then started to return the kiss.

Spike cupped her cheek and slowly slid his tongue into her mouth. He felt like he was kissing Heaven. He then pulled away suddenly when he realized what he was doing. He looked at the confused expression on her face and moved away from her. “I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have done that.”

She felt a little hurt by his reaction.

Spike ran his fingers through his hair and turned away from her. “I need to go for a walk. You should stay here. It’s safe here.” He realized that he probably wasn’t making much sense. He just knew that he had to get away from her before he did something that he would really regret. “I’ll be back soon.” He grabbed his jacket and headed out of the apartment, leaving Buffy to stare after him in confusion.
Chapter 5 by TammyAsh666
Chapter 5

“I love you, Daddy. I’ll talk to you later.” Buffy said to her father as she hung up the phone, just when Spike decided to walk in. She looked at him and wasn’t sure what to say. “That was my dad. He got there okay.” She figured that was a safe way to start the conversation.

Spike only nodded and sat down on the couch.

“Are you all right? You left in a hurry.”

He finally looked at her after a few seconds. “I’m fine, just needed to get some fresh air.”

Buffy nodded and thought of what else she wanted to say. “If I’m causing problems, I could go stay with my friend Willow. She said she wouldn’t mind.”

Spike looked panicked at the thought of her leaving and shook his head. “No, you have to stay here. I promised your father that I would protect you.”

She let out a sigh. “I don’t think I really need protection. It’s obvious that me being here is too much trouble for you. It would probably be better if I left.”

Spike then stood up and moved over to her. “I can’t let you leave, Buffy. I need you here. You might be the only one that can keep me sane,” he said with a hint of a smile.

“It doesn’t seem that way to me,” she replied softly, looking away from his intense stare.

He cupped her chin and turned her gaze back on his. “I was a ponce. I shouldn’t have walked out like that. I just had a lot to think about. I really do want you here.”

“I just don’t want things to be weird with us.”

“I don’t want that either,” he claimed and caressed her cheek. He then grasped her hand and placed it over his heart. “You feel that, Buffy? You feel how fast my heart beats whenever you’re near me? I never thought I could feel that again. That’s why I panicked earlier; it has nothing to do with you.”

Buffy placed her other hand over his heart. “I know you’re scared, but you have to let yourself love again. No one should have to live their life alone.”

Spike gave her a small smile. “How is it possible for someone so young to be so wise?”

She returned his smile. “Hey, I’ve always been wise beyond my years. You’re only five years older than me, mister. That’s hardly much of a difference.”

Spike agreed. “You’re right about that, but you’re also Hank’s daughter. He trusted me with you.”

Buffy took his hand in hers. “You wouldn’t be doing anything wrong. You promised to protect me, which is exactly what you’ll be doing. In more ways than one,” she whispered, pulling him toward the bedroom.

Spike panicked again when he realized what she wanted. “Buffy, are you sure about this? There’s no going back.”

Buffy looked into his eyes and nodded. “I’m sure, Spike. Let me take care of you.” She then pulled him into his room and closed the door.


* * * * *


Buffy woke up alone and glanced around the room. She got out of bed and put her clothes on, then left the room. She found Spike in the living room looking out the window. She slowly walked over to him, not knowing what to say.

They both just stood there in silence, until Spike finally spoke.

“I love watching the birds. I used to always wish I could fly. To be that free,” he said, finally turning to her.

She gave him a soft smile. “That’s a nice wish.”

Spike nodded and gazed back out the window. “Your father will kill me,” he said suddenly.

Buffy shook her head. “No, he won’t. He doesn’t have to know.”

Spike laughed and focused back on her. “There are ways of finding out. We slept together, Buffy. It won’t be easy keeping that a secret. God, I don’t even know what I was thinking. I could lose my job.”

She grabbed his hand and tried to make him listen. “That’s not going to happen. My dad needs you too much. You don’t have to worry.”

“I wish it could be that easy. I should have stopped before things went too far, but I just wanted you so much. I’ve never wanted anything that much before, but it can’t happen again. We can’t get involved, Buffy. It could be too dangerous.”

Buffy had a feeling he was talking about more than just her father. “I don’t want to stop, Spike. I really like you. I think it could be something more if you just let it.”

Spike shook his head. “I can’t,” he whispered.

He sounded so defeated that Buffy felt like being the one to protect him. “Why? I know it’s not just because of my dad.”

Spike was finding it hard to keep his tears in. “I’m already falling in love with you. The last time I loved someone, she was taken away from me. I won’t let that happen again.”

Buffy then wrapped her arms around him. “I’m not going anywhere, Spike. I’m right here; everything’s going to be okay,” she whispered to him soothingly.

He pulled away from her. “You don’t know that.”

Buffy pressed her lips to his forehead. “I know enough. We’re both going to be okay.”

Spike thought about what she said and then kissed her lips passionately. He broke away and flooded her face with kisses, then moved his lips to her neck. He pulled her closer and buried his face in her hair. “I won’t lose you.”

Buffy’s heart was breaking for this man. She held him tighter and ran her fingers through his soft hair. She really hoped that they would be able to work things out because she couldn’t let him go. She knew that she already loved him and it was a feeling that she never wanted to go away. No matter what.
Chapter 6 by TammyAsh666
Author's Notes:
I hope this chapter doesn't disappoint. I'm finding myself in a crappy mood today. I got my heart bruised by this guy last night, but I refuse to say that it's broken. He just chose to be with my best friend and it has put me in a seriously bad mood. I'm going to see her this weekend also, so that should be lots of fun. I'm still going to keep up, no matter how crappy I'm feeling at the moment. Anyway, hope you guys like the chapter. Reviews would make me feel a whole lot better=)
Chapter 6

Spike heard knocking on his door the next day and went to answer it. He was greeted by a dark haired man, with a smile on his face.

“Hey, Spike,” he said, making his way into the apartment.

Spike only sighed and closed the door. “What are you doing here, Angel?”

He shrugged. “Just wanted to see how you were. It’s really not fair that Hank gave you a week off, but at least I didn’t have to baby-sit his kid. So, where is the little princess?”

Spike laughed and shook his head. “She’s hardly little. She’s at school right now.”

Angel raised his eyebrows. “How old are we talking here?”

Spike took a breath before he answered. “She’s seventeen.”

“Well, it’s a good thing Hank didn’t have me watch her then. If you know what I mean,” he replied with a wink.

Spike rolled his eyes. “Yeah, I know what you mean. You would screw anyone, doesn’t matter how old.”

Angel took offense to that. “Hey, give me some credit. I was only kidding. You know I’m into older women.”

Spike agreed and sat on the couch.

“So, what’s your deal? You wouldn’t be brooding, would you?”

Spike now looked offended. “I don’t brood, I’m just thinking.”

Angel nodded and didn’t say anything else about it.

“Do you believe in love at first sight?”

Angel was surprised at the question. “I haven’t even found love yet, so I really couldn’t tell you. If you’re talking about the Lieutenant’s daughter, I think you should forget it.”

Spike looked up at him in confusion.

Angel decided to clarify. “Hank is very protective of that girl, Spike. You can tell by the way he talks about her. He may like you now, but that would all change if you decided to get with his daughter.”

Spike sighed and rubbed his eyes. “I wish it was that easy.”

Angel then plopped down on the couch next to him. “You haven’t done anything, have you?”

Spike avoided his gaze, which gave Angel the answer he needed.

“Did you sleep with her?”

Spike shrugged. “It just happened.”

Angel couldn’t believe it and jumped back up. “Spike, what were you thinking?”

He didn’t want to argue about it, but he was willing to defend his actions. “I was thinking that I loved her. Nothing else matters when I’m with her. She makes me feel things that I never thought I could feel again.”

Angel calmed down when he saw the look on the younger man’s face. “You love her? You hardly even know her.”

“I know everything I need to know. I just have to start living again, Angel. I’ve been so shut down since Drusilla died. I can’t live my life like that anymore. Buffy makes me want to live again. I can’t give her up.” A pause. “Can we keep this between us for now? I’ll talk to Hank when he comes back. I’m sure he would understand.”

Angel thought about it for a moment. “All right, I won’t say anything. I do owe you my life, after all.”

Spike nodded and gave him a grateful smile. “Thanks,” he replied.

Angel nodded as well and walked over to the door. He looked at his friend one more time. “I hope you know what you’re doing, Spike. Take care of yourself,” he said, then left the apartment.


* * * * *


Spike was waiting in his car for Buffy to come out of school. He finally saw her after a few minutes. She was talking with a red headed girl and a dark haired boy. He then started to feel a twinge of jealousy when Buffy hugged the boy. She waved goodbye to them before walking over to his car.

He smiled at her. “How was your day?”

She shrugged. “Boring as usual.”

Spike nodded. “So, who was that bloke?”

It took Buffy a moment to realize what he was talking about. “Oh, that’s Xander. He’s a friend.”

“Is he just a friend?”

Buffy grinned. “Are you jealous?”

“Should I be?” he wondered.

Buffy moved over and got closer to him. She gave him a kiss on the cheek. “You have no reason to be jealous. He’s like a brother to me. I like you.”

Spike felt relieved and leaned toward her, pressing a quick kiss to her lips. “Let’s get out of here,” he told her, then pulled away from the school and headed for home.


* * * * *


Spike watched Buffy walk out of his room later that night in a short, black skirt and halter top. He raised his eyebrows.

“Just where do you think you’re going dressed like that?”

She looked at him and finished putting her earrings in. “I’m meeting my friends at the Bronze.”

Spike didn’t like the sound of that. “I don’t think that’s such a good idea, Buffy. It’s not safe out there at night.”

Buffy rolled her eyes. “I would be in a crowded club with my friends. I think I’ll be fine.”

He shook his head. “You never know what could happen. If you have to go, I don’t think you should wear that.”

Buffy gazed down at her outfit, then back up at him. “There’s nothing wrong with my clothes. I always dress like this when I go out.”

Spike was about to say something else, when Buffy held her hand up to stop him.

“I’ll make you happy and put a sweater on, Dad.” She turned to walk away, but Spike grabbed her arm.

“Hey, what’s that about?”

Buffy let out a sigh. “Spike, I’m not a kid. I already have to deal with this from my father. I don’t need you treating me the same way, okay? If we’re going to be together, you have to respect that.”

Spike nodded and knew that she was right. “I’m sorry, love. I just worry about you.”

Buffy smiled and pecked him on the lips. “I like that you worry, but you don’t have to worry so much. I can take care of myself.” She then had an idea. “I know, how about you come to the Bronze with me? That way you could watch me if any bad guys decide to show up.”

Spike again didn’t think that was a good idea, even though he really didn’t want her to go alone. “I don’t know about that. I’m not exactly a club person.”

“That’s the idea. Come on, Spike. You need to get out there and have some fun for once. You’re a young guy. Staying inside all night is just not natural. I promise you’ll have fun, and you’ll get to meet my friends. Pretty please,” she said with a pout.

Spike knew that he would agree to anything when she did that. “All right, but only for a little while. You have school tomorrow.”

Buffy smiled and gave him a hug. “You’re the best. I promise you a night of fun,” she said and went to get a sweater to put on.

Spike ran his fingers through his hair. He was afraid of that. He didn’t think he knew how to have fun anymore. He really hoped that Buffy wouldn’t change her mind and decide not to be with him. He didn’t know what he would do without her, and he never wanted to find out.
Chapter 7 by TammyAsh666
Author's Notes:
I'll be going away this weekend and probably won't be able to update until Monday or Tuesday. Hope you guys like this chapter until then=)
Chapter 7

They entered the Bronze and Buffy pulled Spike over to a table, where she saw her friends.

She gave them a smile. “Hey, guys. This is Spike, the guy I was telling you about.”

They nodded and smiled at him.

Buffy then introduced them. “These are my friends, Willow, Xander, Anya, and Tara,” she said, pointing to each of them.

“It’s nice to meet all of you,” he said.

Buffy sat down and pulled him down with her.

They then spent the time asking Spike questions and getting to know him better.

Xander was intrigued. “How cool is it being a cop? Do you get to have a gun and everything?”

Spike nodded. “Yes, but I’m not really a fan of guns. I would only use it if I really had to. I love my job, but it can be pretty dangerous.”

Xander waved his hand in the air. “Danger’s my middle name.” He noticed all of the bemused expressions around him. “Okay, maybe not,” he mumbled.

Willow rolled her eyes. “Your middle name is Lavelle.”

Xander glared at her. He hated for people to know that. He just took a sip of his root beer and didn’t say anything else about it.

Spike smiled at Buffy’s friends. They were an interesting group.

Buffy then smiled when a slow song came on. She stood up and glanced at Spike. “Come on, we have to dance.”

He had a look of fear on his face now. “I don’t dance.”

Buffy wouldn’t let him get out of it and grabbed his hand. “You do now. I promised you fun, and I never break my promises.” She pulled him out of his chair and on the dance floor.

Spike didn’t know what to do when they got out there. He was looking around at the other dancing couples.

Buffy wrapped her arms around his neck.

He didn’t know what else to do, so he placed his arms around her waist.

“You just let the music flow through you. It’s not that hard,” she explained and started to move to the music.

Spike shut his eyes and followed her lead.

Buffy smiled and rested her head against his chest.

Spike opened his eyes at that moment. He gazed down at her and kissed the top of her head. He loved having her in his arms. It was like she was meant to be there. He wrapped her tighter in his embrace as they continued their dance.


* * * * *


He watched from a distance as she danced with that bleached freak and grew angry. She was his and only his. He first wanted revenge on Summers for putting his brother away, but now it was more than that. She was a very beautiful girl. He could imagine all the things he would do to her. He was damned if he was going to let that freak have her. She would be his; it was only a matter of time.


* * * * *


Buffy sat back down at the table with her friends after Spike went to the restroom.

Xander was getting more drinks.

The girls were staring at her.

She caught the looks and wondered what they were about. “What?”

Willow was the one that spoke up first. “What’s the deal with you two? You seemed pretty close when you were dancing.”

Buffy shrugged and blushed a little when she thought about how great it felt to be in his arms. “We’re just really good friends.”

Anya wasn’t convinced. “You had sex with him, didn’t you?”

Buffy’s eyes bulged. “How do you do that?”

Anya rolled her eyes. “Please, it’s a gift. You also look like someone who has been given many good orgasms.”

Her cheeks blushed bright red this time.

Willow was stunned. “You really slept with him?”

Buffy could only nod. “I know what you guys are gonna say. That I shouldn’t get involved with him because he works with my dad and we’re moving too fast, but I really like being with him. We need each other right now.”

Willow nodded in understanding. “We get it, Buffy. He seems to really make you happy.”

Buffy smiled at her friend. “Yeah, he really does.”

Spike then walked back over to them. He gave Buffy a kiss on the cheek and sat down next to her. “So, what were you ladies talking about?”

Buffy shrugged. “Just girl stuff,” she replied and laid her head on his shoulder.

He put his arm around her.

Willow smiled at the display of affection. Her friend really looked happy and she hoped that everything would work out for them.


* * * * *


Buffy and Spike crashed through his bedroom, with their lips locked in a passionate kiss.

He broke away long enough to close the door.

Buffy attacked his lips again.

Spike lifted her up and placed her on his bed, getting situated on top of her. He trailed kisses down her smooth neck.

She grabbed the bottom of his shirt and pulled it over his head.

He helped do the same with hers.

They threw their clothes on the floor and got back to the kissing.

Spike then slid into her leisurely.

She closed her eyes at the feelings that he was stirring in her.

He kissed both of her eyelids.

Buffy opened her eyes to stare right into his.

Spike buried his head in her neck and started to move slowly inside of her.

Buffy wrapped her arms around him and ran her fingers down his back. She let out a moan and whispered in his ear. “Harder, Spike. You don’t have to be gentle with me.”

He lifted his head to look at her. “I like being gentle.”

Buffy caressed his cheek. “There’s plenty of time for that later.”

Spike nodded and did what she asked. He closed his eyes and started to thrust harder into her.

They were both breathing heavily as they were soon brought to release.

Spike moved off of Buffy and wrapped his arms around her. He kissed the top of her head and noticed that she was starting to doze off. He smiled and soon joined her in a peaceful slumber.
Chapter 8 by TammyAsh666
Chapter 8

Buffy and Spike were sitting on the couch and watching another movie.

The cat suddenly jumped on Buffy’s lap. She smiled and lifted her up. “Hey, Whiskers. Who’s a good kitty?”

Spike had to smile as well. “She loves you.”

Buffy turned her smile on him. “I love her, too.” She gave Whiskers a kiss, then placed her back on her lap.

“Do you know how adorable you are?”

Buffy blushed a little at the comment. “I have a feeling you’re not talking about the cat.”

Spike nodded. “She’s also adorable, but she knows that. I don’t think you know how much you are, though.”

Buffy looked into his eyes. “I’m just not used to hearing that.”

He leaned closer to her and gave her a kiss on the lips. “You’ll just have to get used to it.”

Buffy blushed again and turned back to Whiskers, who was now falling asleep on her lap. She stroked her soft fur and thought about what she wanted to ask him. “Spike, why did you agree to this?”

He didn’t know what she was talking about.

Buffy glanced back at him and saw the confusion on his face. She took a deep breath before she spoke again. “I just don’t know a lot of guys that would agree to look after a teenager. Why did you?”

Spike had a feeling she would ask that sooner or later. “Because Hank asked me to. I saw the look on his face and knew I couldn’t tell him no.”

“So, you were thinking about saying no?” she wondered.

“At first I was, but I knew I couldn’t. Then I saw your picture.”

She raised her eyebrows. “What picture?”

Spike grinned before he answered. “It was your senior picture.”

Buffy then felt embarrassed. “Oh god, I hate that picture. I was having the worst day. I can’t believe he showed you that. I told him that he should burn it.”

Spike laughed and kissed the tip of her nose. “I thought you looked beautiful.”

Buffy smiled. “So, that helped with your decision?”

“It didn’t hurt. I’m really glad you’re here, Buffy.”

She agreed and grabbed his hand, giving it a squeeze. “I was worried that you would be a perv or something. I’m glad I was wrong.”

Spike laughed again. “Yeah, and I’m glad you’re not a little kid like I thought you were.”

They both then turned their attention back to the movie.


* * * * *


A few days went by and Buffy was sitting in Spike’s room, with a worried expression on her face. She was clutching her stuffed pig to her chest.

Spike knocked on the door and then entered the room when she didn’t answer. He walked over to her and sat down on the bed.

Buffy spoke after a moment of silence. “Do you think he’s okay?” she asked shakily.

Spike nodded. “I’m sure he is. Hank is strong; he can pretty much handle anything.”

Buffy knew he was right, but she was still worried. “It’s been days, Spike. He would have called me by now. You don’t know how overprotective my dad is.”

“I think I have some idea. He’s probably just trying to keep a low profile. I’m sure he’ll call soon.”

Buffy clutched the pig tighter and looked up at him. “I’m scared, Spike. What if something happened to him?” she whispered and felt the tears blur her vision.

Spike moved closer and wrapped his arms around her.

She then buried her face in his chest and let the tears fall.

He kissed the top of her head and tried to soothe her with his words. “It’ll be okay, sweetheart. Your father’s a fighter. He wouldn’t let anything keep him away from you.”

Buffy nodded against his chest.

Spike just continued to comfort her anyway that he could.


* * * * *


Two more days later and Buffy still hadn’t heard anything from her father. She knew he could take care of himself and really hoped that he was all right. She didn’t know what she would do if she lost him. She already lost her mother and couldn’t handle losing someone else that she loved.

Buffy was walking out of the school and was about to head to Spike’s car, when someone blocked her way. She looked at the man that decided to grace her with his presence and sighed when she recognized him. “What do you want, Billy?” she asked with a bored expression.

“Just looking for you, Summers. I was hoping we could hang at the Bronze tonight, unless your babysitter has a problem with that,” he said with a grin.

Buffy rolled her eyes. “He’s not my babysitter. Just leave me alone.” She tried to walk by him, but he wouldn’t budge.

“Come on, why do you have to be like that? I was only teasing. We could have a lot of fun together,” he said huskily, running his fingers down her arms.

Buffy cringed at his touch and took a step away from him. “If I recall, we already had our share of fun. You said that was all I’m good for, right? You got what you wanted and then could care less the next day. I’m tired of you high school boys that don’t know what the hell you want. I’m moving on to someone a little more mature. Sorry to disappoint, Billy,” she said and walked away.

He let her this time, but then grew angry. “I told you, I go by Ford now!” he yelled after her.

Buffy glanced at him one more time. “Tell someone who cares.” She gave him the finger and headed over to Spike’s car that was waiting for her in the parking lot. She opened the door and got in.

Spike noticed the look on her face and wondered what was wrong. “You all right?” he asked with concern.

She graced him with a small smile. “I’m fine, just really tired.”

Spike didn’t believe that was the only reason. “Did that bloke say something to upset you? It didn’t look like he was a friend.”

Buffy shook her head. “More like a jerk, but it was nothing I couldn’t handle. I’ve dealt with him before; it’s not a big deal. Right now, I just wanna go home and eat a ton of ice cream. You do have ice cream, don’t you?”

Spike nodded. “Just bought two tubs of vanilla.”

She flashed him a brighter smile. “I so love you right now.”

Spike blushed and started the car, then drove away from the school.
Chapter 9 by TammyAsh666
Author's Notes:
My heart is seriously hurting right now because of some guy that I don't even feel like dealing with this. I don't even know if anyone is even that interested in it anymore, but I'm not far from the end. I never leave a story unfinished anyway. If you guys are still reading, I hope this chapter doesn't completely suck. Reviews would really help ease my pain!
Chapter 9

Spike was lying in his bed later that night with Buffy next to him, her head on his chest.

“I think I should have stopped after that second bowl of ice cream. My stomach is seriously hurting.”

Spike gently rubbed her belly. “I warned you.”

“Tell me something I don’t know. I just hate this. I have to worry about my dad and deal with school on top of that. I should have so gotten a vacation. You got to take the week off.”

Spike didn’t have to see her face to know that she was pouting. “I have to go back to work tomorrow. I won’t be able to look after you as much as I would like.”

Buffy lifted her head up. “I’ll be fine, I know the drill. I don’t go anywhere while you’re gone, and I don’t let anyone in. Oh, unless a hot delivery guy shows up.” She laughed as Spike moved on top of her, pinning her arms above her head.

“You will not let anyone in here, understand?”

Buffy looked into his eyes and nodded.

He then moved off of her.

She rested her head back on his chest. “That was kinda sexy. You getting all jealous like that.”

Spike rolled his eyes. “I was not jealous. I just want to make sure you’re safe. Maybe you should come to the station after school. You can see what goes on there.”

Buffy had to roll her eyes this time. “Please, I’ve been going there since I was ten. I used to love it when I was younger. I grew out of that phase.”

Spike ran his fingers through her long tresses. “Ever since your mum died?”

She nodded. “It didn’t seem so cool anymore after that.”

Spike knew how she felt.

She suddenly had tears streaming down her face.

Spike used his thumb to wipe one away.

“I don’t know what I would do if I lost him, too. He should be here with me. It’s not fair.”

Spike wrapped his arms around the fragile girl and let her cry into his chest. He rubbed her back in comfort. “He will come back to you,” he whispered to her. “You have to believe that, Buffy.” He noticed that she started to calm down a little. He figured that no more words needed to be said and just continued to hold her until she fell asleep.


* * * * *


Buffy was hanging with her friends at the Bronze the next night. Spike had to work late and she promised to stay with her group at all times, so he wouldn’t have to worry about her going without him. He eventually gave in and agreed. She loved how overprotective he could be at times, but she still needed her own space. It was nice to just hang out with her friends and not worry about anything, even if it was only for one night. She would go back to worrying about her father tomorrow. She was busy dancing the night away and went back to join her friends once the song ended.

“I need a drink.”

Willow handed her a coke because everyone knew that Buffy couldn’t handle alcohol.

She took a long sip and sat down next to Xander.

“So, I’m surprised the babysitter let you out. Aren’t you guys joined at the hip or something?” he said and got a smack in the head from Anya. “Hey, what was that for?” He rubbed the spot where she hit him.

“That was for being an idiot. And you say I don’t know when to shut up.”

Xander shrugged and looked at Buffy. “What did I say?”

Buffy sighed. “He’s not my babysitter, Xander. I’m only staying with him until my dad comes back.”

Xander nodded and didn’t say anything else about it.

They were all quiet after that, until Tara spoke up.

“I think you guys look good together,” she said suddenly and noticed everyone’s gaze now on her. She blushed under their stares. “You and Spike. I think you look good together. He...He seems to really like you.”

Buffy smiled at the shy girl, who was Willow’s girlfriend. “Thank you, Tara.”

She smiled as well.

They all talked some more and did more dancing, until Buffy decided to call it a night.

“I think I’m gonna head out now. Getting kinda tired,” she told them and stood up.

Willow looked concerned. “You want one of us to go with you? You probably shouldn’t walk by yourself.”

Buffy shook her head. “I’ll be fine, Will. I’m a big girl and it’s not that far. As long as you guys promise not to tell Spike.”

They all agreed, even though they were still worried about her going by herself.

Buffy just gave them a smile. “Okay, I’ll see you guys tomorrow,” she said, then walked out of the club.


* * * * *


Buffy took the long way home because the short cut could sometimes be dangerous; humming a little while she walked. She suddenly felt a chill and rubbed her arms, wishing that she didn’t forget her jacket. She continued to walk, when she suddenly heard a noise behind her. She turned around and didn’t see anything. She shrugged it off and figured it was nothing. She decided to walk faster because she was getting a bad feeling and just wanted to make it safely back to Spike’s apartment. She stopped again and turned around when she heard another sound. That was all Buffy could take.

“Hello? Is someone there?” she asked no one in particular. She was really starting to freak out, when someone then came up behind her and wrapped their arms around her waist. She couldn’t scream because she felt a cloth cover her mouth. She was getting dizzy and soon passed out. The last thing she heard was a low chuckle.

The man put the cloth with the chloroform back in his pocket and picked the girl up, throwing her over his shoulder. He walked over to a black van and opened the side door, laying her down inside. He got a twisted look on his face and caressed her cheek. “We’re going to have some fun.” He closed the door and got in on his side, then started the car and drove away. Thoughts going around in his head of all the fun he would have with the beautiful girl.
Chapter 10 by TammyAsh666
Chapter 10

Buffy woke up with a huge headache. She looked around at her surroundings once she got her eyes to focus. She was in a room that she didn’t recognize and was chained to a bed. She grew scared and pulled at the chains, realizing that they wouldn’t budge. She continued to pull at them, but stopped when a man entered the room. She didn’t know who he was, but he had an evil look on his face.

“I see you finally woke up. I was starting to get impatient.”

Buffy tried to keep the fear out of her voice. “Who are you? What do you want with me?” she asked, knowing that her voice sounded shaky.

He only grinned at her. “I think you know, honey. I’m Adam Hamilton. Marcus is my older brother, the man your father put away. I couldn’t just let that go.”

Buffy felt even more scared when she heard that name. She heard her father talk about Marcus before and knew that he did a lot of bad things. She had a feeling his brother would be just as bad. “I know about your brother. He was a killer, I’m glad my dad put him away. He deserves to rot in jail,” she spat, surprised at what was coming out of her mouth.

Adam walked closer to her, with an angry expression on his face. “You better watch your mouth, missy. You’re not in a very good position right now. My brother was always there for me. Now, I’m going to be there for him.”

Buffy held her head up high and wouldn’t let her fear show. “You wanna be there for him? You can join him in jail. Spike is going to come for me.”

A sinister smirk formed on his face. “I’m counting on it,” he said, pulling a knife out of his pocket and tracing it down her cheek.

She winced when the blade cut her flesh.

Adam continued to smile.

Buffy wished that she could wipe it off of his face.

“I’ll make him watch as I slit your throat. Wouldn’t that suck for our hero? To lose another one of his precious girls.”

Buffy gulped when she realized what was coming.

He saw the look in her eyes and smiled even wider. “You figured it out, didn’t you? That’s right, princess. I was the one that took his last girlfriend away from him. I have no problem doing it again.”

Buffy felt tears in her eyes now. She didn’t know what else to do and suddenly let out a loud scream, hoping that someone would hear her.

Adam was red with anger and smacked her hard across the face to shut her up.

She turned her head away and felt the hot tears stream down her face.

“That was really stupid, little girl. No one will be able to hear you.” He put the knife away and gave her another smile. “Now, what could we do until the boyfriend comes looking for you? I have a few ideas.” He moved closer to her and trailed his hands down her arms. “You’re a screamer, aren’t you? Well, I guess you just proved that. I’m going to make you feel so good, baby.”

Buffy couldn’t hide the fear she was feeling anymore as the tears continued to fall down her face. She prayed that Spike would find her soon.


* * * * *


“You need to calm down.” Angel told a worried Spike later that night.

They were in his apartment and Spike spent the time pacing back and forth.

“I can’t calm down. Where the bloody hell is she? I called her friends and they said she left the Bronze hours ago.”

“Maybe she just stopped somewhere else and lost track of time.”

Spike shook his head. “No, she knows to come straight here. I told the bint not to go off by herself. I have a bad feeling that something is wrong. If anything happens to her, I would never forgive myself. Not to mention the fact that her father will kill me. I was supposed to protect her,” he said the last part in a defeated tone.

Angel tried to calm his panicked friend. “You have the other officers out there searching for her right now. There’s nothing else you can do except wait and see if she comes back.”

Spike only nodded and sat down on the couch.

Angel gave him a sympathetic look. “You really love her, don’t you?”

Spike looked up at him, with unshed tears in his eyes. “More than anything. I never knew I could love anything this much. I can’t lose her, Angel. I won’t go through that pain again.”

Angel nodded and wished he could do something to help his friend. “I’m sure she’s fine. She’ll probably walk through that door any minute now.”

Spike let out a sigh. “I wish I could believe that.”

They both didn’t know what else to say, when someone then walked through the front door. It wasn’t who they were expecting, but they gave him their attention anyway.

Spike saw the expression on the other man’s face and felt even more concerned. “What is it, Riley?”

He took a deep breath before he answered. “I think we got a lead.” He handed Spike a note that had a bracelet attached to it. “This was by your door.”

Spike was beyond worried when he recognized the bracelet. “This is Buffy’s.” He opened the note and took on a look of distress. “It’s Hamilton,” he stated in a cold voice. “The bastard has Buffy.”

Angel and Riley exchanged looks. They knew that if the man was as bad as his brother, Buffy could be in serious trouble. They had to find her fast.
Chapters 11-12 by TammyAsh666
Author's Notes:
I'm just reposting the chapters that were lost because I didn't wanna leave it unfinished.
Chapter 11

Spike grabbed his jacket and was about to head out the door, when Angel stopped him.

“You can’t just go there by yourself. He left the address because he wants you to go after her. It’s obviously a trap, Spike.”

He just shook his head. “I don’t care; I have to get to her. He said I had to come alone. Look, I’ll be fine. I’ll call you guys if I need you. Stay close, but not close enough that he would see you.”

Angel nodded and figured there was no use getting through to him right now.

Spike snatched the note with the address on it and made his way over to the front door.

“Be careful, man.”

Spike glanced at Riley and nodded, then left the apartment.


* * * * *


Buffy let out another scream when the blade cut into her arm. She couldn’t stop the flow of tears that were streaming down her face.

Adam only laughed sadistically.

Buffy knew that she had only been there for a few hours, but it felt like an eternity. “Please, stop,” she pleaded and that only made him laugh harder.

“No, sweetheart. Begging comes later.” He continued to trace the knife down her arm.

Buffy didn’t know if she could take anymore.

The door suddenly crashed open and Spike bounded in. He had pure rage on his face when he saw Hamilton. He ran over to the crazed man and grabbed him by the shirt, throwing him away from Buffy. “Get the hell away from her!”

Adam gave him an evil smile. “Now the fun begins.” He raised his leg and kicked Spike in the abdomen, causing him to crash into the wall. He used that to his advantage and went to grab Buffy, already having removed the chains a little while ago.

She screamed as he roughly pulled her off of the bed and held her in front of him, with the knife at her neck.

Spike stood up and glared daggers at him.

Buffy whimpered when she felt the blade leave a small cut on her throat.

“Don’t come any closer or your girlfriend gets it.”

Spike stopped because he didn’t know what else to do. “Just let her go and deal with me. She never did anything to you.”

Adam turned cold eyes on him. “She’s paying for what her father did. My brother was all I had, until that bastard put him away. You work for him, so you should suffer just as much. I won’t be alone anymore.” He pushed the knife harder into Buffy’s neck.

She screamed at the pain.

Spike was terrified when he saw the look on her face. His girl was scared and he hated it.

“She’s a hot little thing. I can see why you like her. I suppose you would want someone that doesn’t remind you of Drusilla. This girl is as different as they come, isn’t she?”

Spike wondered how he knew about Drusilla. He looked hard at Hamilton’s face and it soon became clear to him. He only saw the man’s eyes that murdered Drusilla, but he would know those eyes anywhere. They used to haunt him every night. “It was you. You’re the one that killed her.”

A big smile lit up his face. “Got it in one. You had to be the hero and fight me. Couldn’t just let me take what I wanted and your poor girlfriend had to pay the price. Looks like history is repeating itself. Maybe you should be better off alone. See how it feels,” he spat venomously.

Spike was finally face to face with the bastard that took Drusilla away from him. He would be damned if he was going to let the same thing happen to Buffy. He didn’t want to make any sudden movements, fear of what Hamilton would do to her if he did. He looked into her frightened eyes and noticed that her expression seemed to change. He suddenly knew what she was going to do and couldn’t do anything to stop her.

Buffy then stomped hard on Adam’s foot and elbowed him in the stomach.

He yelled and dropped the knife, which caused him to let her go.

Spike used that to his advantage and ran toward Adam, punching him hard in the face.

He fell to the floor.

Spike then grabbed Buffy and held her close to his chest. He felt her tears soak his shirt and ran his hands down her back.

“God, I was so afraid,” she said with a tremble.

Spike only held her closer. “I’ve got you now, love. It’s going to be okay,” he whispered and kissed the top of her head. He then grabbed his cell phone to call Angel, so they could come and take Hamilton away. He would be joining his brother after all. He was still holding her after he made the call, when he suddenly saw Hamilton move and reach into his pocket.

No one noticed the gun, until he pulled the weapon out and aimed it at Buffy.

Spike panicked and pushed her away, just as Hamilton pulled the trigger.

The bullet landed in Spike’s side and he cried out, clutching his stomach. He then kicked the gun away from Hamilton and landed a kick in the man’s face. Hamilton was now unconscious and the pain was too much for Spike that he fell to the floor as well.

Buffy got up from her position on the ground and moved over to him. She had more tears coming down her face now. “Spike, stay with me. You’ll be okay, just like you told me. You have to be okay.” She tried to stop the bleeding, but it was too much. “Please, don’t leave me,” she whispered and rested her head against his chest.

Angel and Riley then barged into the apartment a few seconds later. They were followed by two other men.

Angel yelled to the men to take Hamilton out of there as he ran to Spike.

Buffy looked up at him. “He was shot,” she said. “He was trying to protect me.”

Angel nodded and helped Spike up.

Riley went to his other side and helped Angel carry him. “We need to get him to the hospital.”

They helped him into the back of the police car.

Buffy followed after them. “I’m going with him.”

Angel sighed and let her into the car after Spike. He closed the door and then got in on the driver’s side, while Riley got in on the other side.

He started the car and took off for the hospital.



Chapter 12

Buffy was sitting in the waiting room, while Angel was talking with the doctor. Riley sat down next to Buffy and took her hand in his.

“Is he going to be okay?” she said after a moment of silence.

He didn’t want to worry her. “Yeah, he’ll be fine.”

Buffy turned exhausted eyes on him. “Don’t lie to me, Riley. I’m not a little kid anymore. I can take the truth.”

Riley sighed and ran his fingers through his hair. He knew that he couldn’t get anything by her. He has known Buffy for years, ever since Hank started bringing her around the police station when she was younger. Spike and Angel weren’t there for as long as he was, so they never got to know her then. “I don’t really know. They got the bullet out, but he lost a lot of blood and he’s unconscious right now. I guess only time will tell.”

Buffy felt more tears in her eyes. “It should have been me,” she whispered.

Riley wondered what she meant, but he didn’t have to wonder for long.

“Hamilton was aiming for me and Spike pushed me out of the way. He’s in the hospital now because of me.”

Riley shook his head. “It’s not your fault. Spike wouldn’t want you blaming yourself. He was protecting you like he promised he would. I know he would do the same thing again if he had to. Spike is crazy about you, Buffy. I have never seen anyone so in love before. You’re everything to him and he would be destroyed if you were the one laying in a hospital bed right now.”

Buffy nodded and rested her head on Riley’s shoulder. She was so tired.

He put his arm around her and held her closer.

Angel walked over to them a little while later.

Buffy raised her head to look at him. “What happened?”

Angel took a deep breath before he answered her. “They did all they could for him. It’s up to Spike to wake up now.”

Buffy wiped her eyes. “Can I see him?”

“They’re only letting one person in at a time. You can go in first. He’s in room 214.”

Buffy stood up and gave Riley a quick hug. She then pulled away and headed in the direction of Spike’s hospital room.


* * * * *


Buffy got to Spike’s room and took a deep breath before she walked in. She wasn’t prepared for what she found. Spike was lying in the bed and he looked so lifeless. He was more pale than usual and she didn’t think that was possible. She walked closer and sat down in the chair that was by his bed. She tried not to let anymore tears fall, but it was a losing battle. She grabbed his hand and gave it a tight squeeze.

“You’ll come back to me, Spike. I know you will. There’s so much we haven’t done yet. You’re stronger than this.” She lowered her head onto his chest and cried for what seemed to be forever. She then felt his hand move and glanced up at his face to see his eyes suddenly open. She didn’t know what to say, when Spike gave her a soft smile.

“Hey, baby. What’s with the waterworks?”

Buffy cried happy tears now and wrapped her arms around him. “God, I was so worried. I was afraid you wouldn’t wake up.”

He wiped some of her tears away. “It’ll take more than this to get rid of me. Are you okay?” he asked suddenly. “You’re not hurt, are you?”

Buffy laughed through her tears. “You’re lying in the hospital after being shot and you’re worried about me?”

Spike touched his lips to hers. “I’ll always worry about you.” He then noticed the cuts on her cheek and arm. “You should get those looked at.”

Buffy shrugged. “That’s not important. Minor wounds compared to you. You need to worry about getting better.”

Spike was still concerned about her, but he didn’t say anything else about it. He just decided to change the subject. “What happened with Hamilton?”

“He’s going to be locked up for a long time. He can rot in hell with his brother for all I care,” she spat.

“Summers, I’m shocked. What happened to my sweet girl?”

Buffy kissed his mouth softly. “I was never sweet,” she whispered against his lips.

He smiled. “Whatever you say, love.”

Buffy sat back down in the chair. She grabbed his hand again and gazed into his eyes. “You saved my life, Spike. It was supposed to be me.”

Spike shook his head. “I would have done it again in a heartbeat. I made a promise to protect you and I never back out of my promises. There was no way I was going to lose you. I love you, Buffy.”

She gave him a watery smile. “I love you, too. Don’t ever scare me like that again.”

He caressed her cheek. “I’ll try my best.”

Buffy planted a longer kiss on his lips now.

They were caught up in each other and didn’t notice Angel and Riley enter the room.

Angel cleared his throat. “Well, I see sleeping beauty is awake.”

Buffy pulled away from him.

Spike rolled his eyes, but he had a hint of a smile on his face.

“We should probably let him rest now,” Riley commented.

Buffy agreed and gave Spike a kiss on the forehead, then walked over to the other two men.

Riley looked at his friend. “We’ll take care of her tonight, Spike. You just rest and we’ll be back in the morning.”

Spike flashed him a grateful smile.

Angel then thought of something else that needed to be said. “I almost forgot. We got a hold of Hank and told him about what happened. He got into a bit of trouble himself, but he’s okay and should be coming home in a few days.”

Buffy beamed at the news. She had a feeling that her father was all right, but she felt so much better now that she knew for sure.

Spike smiled at Buffy’s excitement. “I told you he would be fine, pet.”

Buffy turned her smile on him. She then left the hospital room with Angel and Riley, knowing that she would be sleeping a lot better that night.
Chapters 13-14 by TammyAsh666
Chapter 13

Spike left the hospital two days later.

Buffy helped him into his apartment and over to the couch. “Can I get you anything?”

He shook his head. “Just come sit with me.”

She nodded and sat down next to him.

Spike put his arm around her and pulled her closer. “I’m glad to be back home. I hate hospitals.”

“Yeah, I can relate to you there.”

He kissed the top of her head.

They were both sitting there in silence, when Whiskers started to rub herself against Spike’s leg.

He smiled down at the cat.

Buffy picked her up. “I think she missed her daddy.”

Spike started to pet Whiskers, who was now lying in Buffy’s lap. “I missed her, too.”

The cat then jumped off of her and ran into the bathroom.

Buffy looked confused. “I guess she really had to go.”

There was a sudden knock on the door.

Buffy glanced at Spike and shrugged, then got up to answer it. She had a smile on her face when she saw who was standing there and gave him a hug.

“It’s good to see you, too.”

Buffy pulled away. “I’m so glad you’re okay, Daddy. I was worried when I didn’t hear anything from you.”

Hank nodded. “I couldn’t manage to call you, but I’m really glad to be home. I’ll be happy if I never have to see New York again.”

Buffy gave him a pout. “I was kinda hoping we could go there on vacation.”

Hank smiled and looked at his daughter. He really missed her. “I’ll take you anywhere else.”

Buffy smiled as well. “Sounds good to me. I’ve always wanted to go to Europe.”

“We’ll talk about it later,” he replied and walked into the apartment.

Buffy closed the door.

Spike smiled when he saw Hank. “I knew nothing could keep you away for long.”

“I heard about what happened. I’m glad you wouldn’t let a bullet get you down.”

Spike shrugged. “I learned from the best.”

Hank had to agree. “Angel didn’t tell me much, just that you took a bullet for my daughter. I wanted to thank you. I knew I made the right decision when I brought her here.”

Spike nodded and then started to feel a little nervous. He hoped Hank would still think that when he found out about them being together.

Buffy figured that now would be a good time and walked over to Spike. She sat down next to him, grabbing his hand and giving it a squeeze. “Daddy, we have something to tell you.”

Hank raised his eyebrows when he noticed how close his daughter was to Spike.

Buffy decided not to wait for him to say anything and took a deep breath before she spoke again. “Spike and I have gotten pretty close since I’ve been here. We’re actually seeing each other now and we hope that you would be okay with that. I know this isn’t what you had in mind. It wasn’t what we really had in mind, either. It just happened and I’m really glad it did. We love each other, Dad. I know it’s sudden, but we really do.” She stopped then to see the reaction on her father’s face and actually couldn’t tell what he was thinking.

Spike continued to feel worried and just waited for whatever Hank had to say. It took a little while before he decided to speak up.

“What do you want me to say?”

Buffy took another breath. “I want you to be okay with this. Spike wasn’t sure about it at first. I was the one that pushed him. I really hope you won’t fire him.”

Hank laughed and shook his head. “I’m not going to fire Spike. He’s one of the best police officers we have. I do know how pushy you can be when you want something. There’s really nothing I can say. You will be eighteen soon and you’ll be free to make your own decisions. If this is what you both want, then I won’t stand in the way.”

A huge smile formed on her face and she got up to hug him again. “You don’t know how happy I am to hear you say that. I love you, Daddy.”

Hank held his daughter tighter. “I love you, too. I just want you to be happy, honey.”

Buffy nodded and pulled out of the hug. “I am happy,” she said, giving Spike a smile.

He smiled back at her, then turned his attention on Hank. “I would never let anything happen to her, Hank. I love her very much.”

Hank nodded and could see how sincere he was. “I know you do. You’re a good man, Spike. I honestly don’t think my daughter could be with anyone better.”

Spike was touched at what the older man said. “Thank you, that means a lot.”

Hank nodded “Just take care of her and we won’t have a problem.”

“Always,” he replied.

Buffy was so relieved that everything seemed to work out.

Hank nodded again and looked at both of them. “Well, I guess I should get back home. I have some unpacking to do. You’ll be coming home soon?” he asked Buffy.

“Yeah, I’ll be home later tonight. I just want to stay here for a bit longer.”

Hank gave her one more hug before he left the apartment.

Buffy sat back down next to Spike, planting a passionate kiss on the lips.

“What was that for?” he wondered.

“I just felt like doing that. I want to make sure you’re taken care of before I leave.”

Spike tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. “I think I’m well taken care of,” he whispered and this time was the one that initiated a kiss.

They soon became lost in each other and right now, that was all that mattered.


Chapter 14

Three years later…

Buffy entered the station, with a smile on her face. She headed straight for her father’s office.

A smile lit up Hank’s face as well when he saw her. He then stood to embrace her. “It’s good to see you, Buffy,” he said and pulled out of the hug.

“It’s good to see you, too. How are things going?” she wondered.

“Things are going well. It’s been quiet lately.”

Buffy nodded. “I’ll just be happy when my training is over. I can’t wait to get out there.”

He agreed. “Spoken like a true officer. You just have to be careful. It’s not all fun and games.”

Buffy rolled her eyes. “I know that, Dad. I can definitely take care of myself.”

“That you can.”

Buffy turned around at the new voice to see Spike standing behind her. She smiled at him.

“How’s my girl doing?” he asked her.

She shrugged. “Five by five, whatever that means.”

Spike glanced at Hank. “Do you need me for anything? I was thinking about taking off early,” he said, wrapping his arms around Buffy’s waist.

Hank knew why he wanted to leave early. “Yeah, you two can get out of here. I have everything under control.”

Buffy placed a kiss on her father’s cheek, then left the office with her boyfriend.


* * * * *


Buffy and Spike were walking along the beach later that night. They were holding hands and watching the waves crash in the ocean.

“I never would have seen this coming,” she said after a few minutes of silence.

Spike turned to look at her. “What do you mean?”

“Being a cop is something that I never wanted, but I feel like it’s what I’m supposed to do. Like it’s my destiny or something. That probably sounds stupid.”

He shook his head. “There’s nothing stupid about that. I always believed that I was destined to be a cop. I honestly can’t see myself doing anything else.”

She nodded. “I guess that makes sense. Maybe we could even be partners.”

Spike brought her hand to his mouth and kissed her knuckles. “We already are,” he replied, then planted a quick kiss on her lips.

Buffy smiled and pulled him closer to the water. “So, you feel like going for a swim?”

He raised his eyebrows. “Don’t you think it’s a bit too cold for that?”

“That’s half the fun. Come on; don’t get all old on me now.”

Spike rolled his eyes, but let a smile form on his face. “We don’t have any swim suits.”

Buffy smiled seductively. “See, that’s the good part.”

“Vixen,” he whispered against her lips. “All right, let’s do it.” He started to remove his shirt, when Buffy stopped him.

“Spike, I was just kidding.”

He grinned at her. “Thought so, but you’re not getting out of it now.” He then grabbed her hand and pulled her toward the ocean.

Buffy laughed as she hit the water. “This was a good outfit.”

Spike shrugged. “It’ll dry, come here.” He pulled her closer to him and kissed the tip of her nose.

Buffy laughed and dipped her head in the water. She came up for air after a few seconds. “I’m so freezing right now,” she said and shivered a little. She then noticed that Spike was holding something in his hand and giving her a nervous expression. She felt her breath catch in her throat when she saw that he was holding a ring. “Oh, god,” she claimed in surprise.

Spike took a deep breath. “This isn’t how I planned on asking you, but I figured now was a good time. At least being in the water it would be harder for you to run away.”

“Run away?” she wondered, surprised that he would think that.

“I know you just turned twenty-one and my timing probably isn’t the best, but I’m not talking anytime soon. I’ll wait for as long as you need to, Buffy. I just know that you’re the one I want to spend the rest of my life with. So, what do you say?”

Buffy smiled at him. “I haven’t heard the question yet.”

Spike returned her smile. “Buffy Anne Summers, will you marry me?”

She felt tears in her eyes, but had no doubt about what her answer would be. “Yes, I’ll marry you.”

Spike sighed in relief and placed the ring on her finger. He then grabbed her in a hug and kissed her wet hair. “I love you,” he whispered in her ear.

“I love you, too.”


* * * * *


They were out of the water and sitting on the ground a little while later.

Buffy had Spike’s duster around her shoulders. She was mesmerized by the diamond on her finger. “It’s beautiful, Spike.”

He pressed his lips to the top of her head. “You’re beautiful.”

Buffy smiled and continued to gaze at the ring. She snuggled closer to Spike and watched the ocean for a while longer.

They both finally had the perfect life that they have always wanted. They wouldn’t change it for anything in the world.

The End
This story archived at http://https://spikeluver.com/SpuffyRealm/viewstory.php?sid=13121