What Dreams May Come by DarkBlue
Summary: When Spike's chip malfunctions yet again he is drawn in to unconsciousness. When he awakes he finds himself in a hospital, in a reality different than his own.
Categories: General Fics Characters: None
Genres: Romance, Angst
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: No Word count: 4386 Read: 3782 Published: 04/27/2009 Updated: 05/01/2009

1. Chapter 1 by DarkBlue

2. Chapter 2 by DarkBlue

3. Chapter 3 by DarkBlue

Chapter 1 by DarkBlue
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: I own nothing, but the plot. Everything else belongs to Joss Whedon and the WB.

**Recently read ~PS I Love You~ so if you see any similarities (because I can feel them brewing in my head) I apologize, but that's why.
Spike rubbed at his temples, hoping that the familiar ache would just die away. It rarely did, but he still hoped. The last thing he needed was two over worried Summers girls. Not that he didn’t enjoy the concern Buffy had come to show him since the chip had started malfunctioning, he just didn’t want to have to deal with it tonight. Dawn had insisted they have a game night, which Buffy had agreed to since it was ‘normal’ and Spike had somehow gotten roped into it. Everyone else was out enjoying themselves while they stayed in, taking in a quiet evening.

“You’re turn, Spike.” Dawn said, taking his attention, momentarily, off of the increasing pain in his head. He could feel the Slayer’s eyes on him as he picked up the dice.

“See somethin’ ya like, pet?” she rolled her eyes.

“Just roll, Spike.” He started shaking the two small cubes in his hand before they dropped. He ignored them as he concentrated on the excruciating shocks going through his brain. The voices of the girls barely made it past the pain filled haze. As everything started to fade around him he briefly noted the gentle had going through his hair.



Beeping was the first thing he noticed when he started coming to. He audibly groaned.

“You’re awake.” Immediately recognizing the voice, he groaned again.

“Yeah, Peaches, I’m awake.” He opened his eyes to see Angel sitting in a chair, which happened to be next to the bed he was lying in.

“Nice to see you’re still angry with me.” His voice was laced with sarcasm.

“Would ya like to tell me why you’re ‘ere? And where’s Buffy?” Angel rolled his eyes at the first question and decided to ignore it.

“I called Buffy, she’s on her way. By the way, next time you pull a stunt like that, let me know.”

“Stunt? I bloody passed out is all.”

“Yeah, after getting hit by the car.”

“Huh?” Spike looked at him with confusion. This time Angel looked concerned.

“You don’t remember?” Angel took the look he was given as a ‘no’.

“You were standing in the middle of the street, Will, yelling at me. Not even sure I remember what it was about. Then, the car seemed to come out of nowhere. There was no time for you to move.” The blond gave him a blank stare for a minute.

“A car, I bloody got hit by a car? All this time I thought it was just me headache that almost did me in.” he said with a laugh. Angel wasn’t laughing though.

“I’ll go tell the doctor your awake.” He said stiffly as he stood up and left the room.

Spike barely watched as he left. The machine next to him had drawn his attention. He really wanted it to go away. He had too many bad memories involving beeping machines and him. Last time he’d been near one he’d wound up with a chip in his head. The torture had even worsened when he was hooked up to one then too. He gave an involuntary shudder at the memory.

“Are you cold, Mr. Pratt?” he looked over sharply at the source of the voice. It was her, the one who had been giving all the orders.

“No.” he said shortly.

“Alright good. Would you like me to wait for you wife before I tell you the results of the tests?” he gave her a look.

“Wife?”

“She’s talking about Buffy.” Angel told him as though he were stupid.

“Buffy, my wife?” he questioned incredulously.

“Don’t you remember?” she was looking at him with concern.

“Um, yeah, ‘course. Why wouldn’t I remember somethin’ like that?”

“Will, you don’t have to get upset with the doctor. She’s just trying to help.”

“Oh, go away, Peaches. Go brood or somethin’.” Although, honestly, he didn’t want to be left alone with the doctor. Angel didn’t leave though, but Spike was sure he was brooding. It made him smile. His smile turned to a look of shock when a head of blond came rushing into the room. He watched as she punched Angel in the arm.

“You are never to scare me like that again or I’ll hurt you.”

“Nice to see you too, Buffy.” He said rolling his eyes as he pulled her into a hug. Her green eyes then turned to Spike, who was looking at her with a mixture of wonder, confusion and, she almost laughed at it, a hint jealousy.

“Don’t make Angel call me again telling me you’re in the hospital.” She said before giving him a hug and kiss, then she whispered, “I won’t be able to handle it next time.”

Spike reached up and brushed away a few tears that had escaped to cascade down her cheeks. “Don’t cry, luv.”

She straightened up and briskly wiped them away.

“Now that you’re here, Mrs. Pratt, would you like for me to go over the results?” Buffy turned and looked at her.

“Results?”

“We thought it best to make sure that the impact of the car didn’t do anything to the tumor.”

“Right of course.” She took Spike’s hand, intertwining her fingers with his.

“Alright.

“Although the tumor is still growing, the accident doesn’t seem to have effected it. William has a mild concussion, but nothing serious.” She looked up from her chart.

“That’s it? Can we go ‘ome now?”

“Spike, don’t be rude.”

“Well, sorry, luv, but don’t exactly like ‘ospitals now.” She smiled sadly at him and squeezed his hand.

“I know.” Spike was sure he could use to the love she was showing him. He didn’t care if he was dreaming or if this was some alternate reality, just that *his* Buffy loved him. He looked, somewhat warily, at Doctor Walsh, when he heard her speaking again.

“William is free to go home now as long as he makes sure to rest and doesn't over exert himself.”

“I’ll make sure he does that.”

“Right, here ya know.” They ignored him though.

“I’ll go draw up the paperwork and you can come sign for his release. See you later, Mr. Pratt.” Doctor Walsh walked out, Buffy following close behind after giving him another kiss.

“I really don’t like that woman.” Spike said once the two had gone.

“I think the feeling’s mutual.” Angel said with a laugh.

“So why does she take care of me?”

“’cause she’s the best neurologist here in LA.”

“Someone should’ve told her to work on people skills while she was digging into brains at the university.”

“Got that right.” He let out a sigh. “How are you feeling?” Spike raised an eyebrow.

“Not getting all emotional or feeling oriented with you, Peaches. No offense.”

“You’re a serious brat sometimes, no matter how old you are.” Before a fight could break out and Spike could question his statement, Buffy returned.

“Ready to go home?”

“You know it, luv.”

“Remember, we’re being good today, no over exerting yourself.”

“’course.”

“Want me to pull your car around while they unhook him?” Angel asked, pointing question at Buffy.

“Sure, didn’t you drive?”

“Uh, no, came by ambulance.”

“Oh…Alright then. The keys are in my purse.” Angel grabbed the keys before leaving the room.

“He’s gonna go brood now isn’t ‘e?” Spike questioned with a smirk, while the two waited for a nurse to come in to take him off the of the machines.

“He might. He’s allowed though. It’s not easy on him.”

“What do you mean, luv?” he asked, noting the sad look in her eyes. It was his turn to reach out and grab her hand. She looked sharply at him.

“Losing you. You’re his brother. I know he’s trying to be strong, but before you got sick he was a lot happier.”

“Not gone yet. Still got a bit of life in me…hey, I got life in me, I’m alive, ‘eartbeat and all.” It was as if suddenly he realized that whatever dream world he’d been placed in, he was alive. He wasn’t a demonic creature of the night that people had to fear, he was a normal, maybe, human being, with life flowing freely through his veins and a heartbeat reminding him he was alive.

“Yeah, you’re alive…glad that still gets you excited.” The euphoria of being alive dissipated as it hit him that he was dying here.

“’ow long ‘ave I got?”

“Walsh thinks about a year.”

“Then we’ll make it the best year.” She smiled.

“I know you will.”
End Notes:
Let me know what you think of this story.
Chapter 2 by DarkBlue
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: Characters belong to Joss Whedon and The WB
Spike warily stepped out into the sun. He shielded his eyes as he looked up at the sky. Never had he thought that he would get a chance to see the sun again, or at least step out into it without worrying what it would do to him. He noted happily how good the warmth felt on his skin. This had been something he missed when he became a vampire.

“You alright?” Buffy questioned, knocking him out of his thoughts. He looked down from the sky, blinking at the spots that appeared before his eyes after having looked at the sun.

“Yeah, just admirin’ the beautiful day is all.” She smiled at him.

“Come on, don’t want to keep Angel waiting.”

“No, wouldn’t want that now.” He stated sarcastically. She slapped him gently in the arm.

“’ey, injured man ‘ere, luv.”

“Then be nice.” She ordered as they reached a small green car. It was the type of car that screamed Buffy, not tall, dark, brooding Angel.

“Shut up, Spike.” Angel said as the blond slipped into the back, sniggering lightly.

“Didn’t say a thing.”

“Yeah, but you were thinking it.” Angel said while shifting the tiny car into drive.

“So I was thinking we’d have a picnic in the backyard. Spike did mention how nice of a day it was. Would you and Cordy like to join us?” Buffy asked from her spot in the front seat.

“Uh, sure. I’ll talk to her, but I’m sure that’s fine…Hey do you mind if we stop downtown, I should probably get my car.”

“ Of course. You don’t mind, Spike, do you?” she turned and faced him.

“Yeah, not like I’m in dire need to be ‘ome or anythin’.”

“Alright, then we’ll stop downtown, drop you at your car and then you and Cordy can come over at six, how’s that sound?”

“Like a plan.” Angel drove for a couple more miles before reaching a parking garage.

“I’ll just get out here. They don’t let you in without a ticket and I don’t want you to have to pay just to drop me off at my car.” He said as he pulled into a parking spot in front of the garage.

“Always the gentleman.” Spike muttered under his breath.

“You say something, hon?”

“Nothing, luv.” He said with a smile as the three of them got out of the car. Spike made his way to the front passenger seat, not trusting himself to stand for too long. He was starting to feel a little dizzy, but not enough to cause alarm.

“See you two later.” Angel said, giving Buffy a hug and a kiss on the cheek.
“Be careful, Will. I’m not going to the hospital again for awhile.” Angel told him, slightly serious, through the open window. Spike rolled his eyes.

“You’ll see me tonight, what trouble can I get into in that span of time.” The brunette chuckled.

“A lot. Just, be careful.”
************************************************************

Buffy pulled the car into the driveway. After putting it into park she looked over at Spike, concern showing on her features.

“Are you sure you’re up for this evening. I can always tell them that it’s not a good night.”

Spike, who had been quiet majority of the trip home, looked over at her. The truth of the matter was that he wasn’t sure what to say to her. He wasn’t sure what was the right thing to say and what was the wrong. He and Buffy were married, Angel was his brother and he had a tumor. That’s all he knew about this life.

“I’m fine, luv. By the time Peaches gets ‘ere, I’ll be ready to take on the bloody world.” This got a laugh out of her.

“Alright, I get it. Now come on. I should start getting things ready. We have about an hour and a half before they get here.”

************************************************************

Spike watched as Buffy meticulously peeled and cut the potatoes for the potato salad. He’d never known her to be a good cook. In reality he’d known from stories that she wasn’t. He always laughed when Dawn would give a look of horror to the idea of her sister cooking. Right now though he was enjoying, this was the domestic Buffy. Fighter Buffy and sexy Buffy were both really good, but domestic, caring Buffy, it made his love grow for her even more. With her being the slayer and always worrying about the end of the world, she was rarely domestic. Dinners in the Summers household normally involved takeout or a meal cooked by Willow. Spike wondered if this is what she’d be like if she didn’t have to worry about everyone’s lives.

“Penny for your thoughts.” Buffy said as she sat next to him on the couch, bringing him back to reality.

“Just thinking ‘bout you, kitten.” She leaned into him as he put an arm around her shoulders.

“I can see we’re going down memory lane.” She commented, noting the photo album in his lap.

“Yeah, we definitely ‘ad some fun times.” He said with a laugh, she laughed too. After they’d gotten in and Buffy had gone to the kitchen to make potato salad, Spike had spotted the album. He wanted to find out what he was like and what sort of things he’d done. That way he wouldn’t be a hundred percent lost, just ninety percent.

“I think my favorite’s the one where we’re at the fair, standing in line for the ferris wheel.”

“Any reason?”

“Yeah, for one you were totally wigging about the entire thing. Who ever knew Big, Bad, Dangerous Spike, was afraid of heights.” She told him with a smile.

“I am not afraid of heights.” He tried. He really wasn’t, but apparently this Spike was. That didn’t mean he couldn’t try saying he wasn’t.

“Mhmm, right.” She didn’t believe him.

“You ‘ad said ‘for one’, what was the other reason.” Her mood changed instantly. She was serious, more somber, now.

“It was right before we found out.” He was about to question what they found out when he realized what. The tumor. They were both silent for a minute before she cleared her throat.

“They’ll be here in half an hour, you should go start the burgers since they take longer than hot dogs. You ok to do that?” he smiled at her.

“I’ll be fine. Don’t worry.” It was her turn to smile.

“I’ll always worry.”
Chapter 3 by DarkBlue
Spike sat in a lawn chair with a cold can of Coke, since apparently he couldn’t drink since he was on medication. The ground chuck patties had gone on a low flame setting ten minutes earlier and Spike had gotten up from his chair every other minute to check on them. The last thing he wanted was to burn the burgers. He knew they’d have hot dogs, but he honestly didn’t think that they wanted just hot dogs. So with any luck, and lots of checking, he wouldn’t burn any of the meat intended for the meal.

One would think he’d take the time to reflect more on the reality, or dream, or whatever it was that he was in. But he wasn’t. His concentration and thought process was placed fully on the grill and anything related to grills. It was coming apparent to him that even though he was getting up constantly, and not relaxing like he should, he enjoyed grilling. [i]Wonder why I ‘aven’t done this before?[/i] He thought and then looked at the sky, [i]Oh, right vampire.[/i]

“Blasted sun.” he said aloud, to himself.

“I thought we liked the sun.” Buffy said as she came out with a checkered table cloth.

“Do, was just thinkin’ is all. Ya know it’s a shame vampires can’t stand the sun. I think they’d like it.”

“Uh, sweetie, you do know vampires aren’t real right?” Spike looked at her and realized his slip up.

“’course I do.”

“Alright, just making sure.” She said with a laugh.

“So what are our favorite vampires doing anyway?” this threw him off. First she said vampires weren’t real and then she questioned about ‘favorite vampires’.

“Huh?”

“I mean Michael the soulful, very repentive vampire and James, aka Stoner, the soulless, lovesick vampire.” Spike searched frantically for a response. Who were these vampires and why did they sound remarkably like him and Angel.

“Uh, they’re alright.”

“Still have writer’s block huh? It’s alright, you’ll get it written.” She told him before giving his arm an affectionate squeeze and heading back inside to retrieve more items for the table.

So he was a writer, a fantasy writer at that. It was actually kind of funny that he was writing stories about vampires when he himself was a vampire. Maybe he could do something with Michael and Stoner while he was here, he sure had enough knowledge of the subject. Spike smiled to himself at the thought, while taking the finished burgers, he was pretty sure they were finished, off of the grill.

“Barely out of the hospital and she’s already got you on grill duty. Tough woman.” Angel said as he came and clapped Spike on the back.

“Oi! Got dogs ‘ere. Don’t want ‘em to fall on the ground now, do ya?”

“I think the dogs are fine. So how’s that head of yours?” Angel asked as he took a seat while Spike put the hot dogs on the hot grill.

“It’s fine.”

“Good...Listen, I actually wanted to talk to you about something while the girls were inside.” Spike raised an eyebrow at the now serious man.

“What now, Peaches?” it didn’t mean that he had to immediately be serious though.

“Well, as you know Cordy’s pregnant,” Angel gave Spike a concerned look as he choked on his Coke, “You ok there, Will?” Spike nodded.

“Uh, yeah, just went down the wrong way. You were saying?”

“Right, well, we talked and I, well we both, were wondering if you’d be our son’s godfather. Cordy should be in there now, asking Buffy to be godmother, I just wanted to ask you about being godfather.” Spike looked at him.

“Uh, Will, wanna say something….” Angel tried when he didn’t say anything.

“…You want me to be godfather to your kid…. do you know ‘ow totally screwed up ‘e’ll be.”

“You’re his uncle, Spike. You’ll be around him about the same. Though you screw my kid up, I’ll have to hurt you.”

“Fine, won’t screw your kid up. I’ll be ‘is bleedin’ godfather. ‘appy?”

“Yes. So how long till food, I’m starved?” Spike shook his head at the man.

“’bout ready, I think. I keep checkin’ on ‘em.”

“Yeah, I noticed. Been hopping up like your buns are burning.” Angel laughed at his own little joke.

"Get it, buns. You eat hot dogs and burgers on buns." Angel laughed again.

“Yeah, not that funny, hon.” Cordelia said as she walked out with Buffy. The girls carried the rest of the things needed for the table, including the potato salad and a regular tossed salad.

“Oh.” Angel’s face turned to what looked like a mix between a pout and a brood.

“Take these over will ya. Gotta turn off the grill.”

“Alright, your heighness.” Spike rolled his eyes as Angel stood up and took the plate filled with burgers and dogs. He stood up as the brunette took off for the table where the girls were talking adamantly with each other. A wave of dizziness caused him to grip the table next to the grill. [i]Must’ve stood up too fast, ‘ave to ‘member not to do that.[/i]

“Coming, honey?” he heard Buffy call from behind him, from her spot at the table. Breathing in and letting out a breath, he stood up straight and turned around.

“On my way, luv.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

The four of them were laughing as Cordelia told a story about how her new coworker, Doyle, had flirted and asked her out right in front of Angel.

“What’d he think, that he was your brother or something?” Buffy questioned, laughing.

“I don’t know. The poor guy looked so heartbroken when I told him that Angel was my husband, that was right after he looked shocked and totally embarrassed.”

“I hope he finds someone. Sounds like a sweet guy.”

“He is. The woman who finds him will be very lucky.” Both Angel and Spike were looking at the two women like they were nuts.

“Oh, stop it. You know I love you.” Buffy said as she took his arm and leaned against them. The food had been eaten, but no one was quite ready to get up and start cleaning yet. They were all enjoying each other’s company, which surprised Spike a little. Who ever knew he could stand more than five minutes with Angel? He didn’t.

“So, Spike how’s the book coming?” Angel asked as he took a sip of his beer.

“Uh, alright I guess. Kinda stuck though. Had a weird dream the other night that might inspire me actually.”

“Oooh, what was the dream?” Cordelia asked excitedly. Spike inwardly cringed. He hadn’t actually had a dream, well he’d had dreams, but none that he remembered really. Now he’d have to make up a dream to tell them. He thought for a minute.

“Well, it went like this. An, I mean Michael, was sittin’ in ‘is place, bein’ all broody and what not, when Stoner comes, feelin’ all betrayed and depressed. ‘e blames Michael for the loss of ‘is girl, but doesn’t say anythin’ right away. Although the reason she left ‘im was ‘cause she found an ugly demon with antlers and everythin’. After kidnappin’ a witch and ‘er little friend, so that they can perform a love spell, ‘e goes out to get supplies where ‘e runs ‘cross Michael and ‘is girl. Gives ‘em a ‘ole speech ‘bout ‘ow they’re in love and says they’ll never be friends, ya see. Then these vamps show up, ‘e ‘elps kill ‘em since ‘e ‘as a spiff with ‘em and then takes off. Doesn’t kill anyone, just plans on torturin’ ‘is girl so she loves ‘im again. End of the dream.” The three were looking at him.

“Wow. Wish I dreamed like that, well not about vampires, but so vividly.” Cordelia said

“It’ll definitely work for the story, not that you’ve let me read much, but what you’ve told me about it.” Buffy told him with a smile.

Angel was looking at him with an odd look, Spike looked back. Then, shaking his head, Angel said, “What’ve you been doing, watching vampire movies on acid?!” Spike laughed.

“I ‘ave not. Just ‘ave a good imagination.”

“That’s for sure.”

“Be nice to your brother. I liked his dream. Can’t wait to read the book either. Sounds filled with forbidden love.” Cordelia was getting excited about the yet to be finished, let alone published, book. Then the subject changed.

“Hey, Buffy, did you see that new dress at Macy’s? It’s amazing.”

“Yeah…..” Angel looked over at Spike.

“Come on, Will, let’s let the girls talk. I hear there’s a game on. Lets see if we can catch any of it.” he started getting up from the table.

“Take some stuff in guys while your at it.” Buffy ordered, briefly taking her attention away from the conversation with Cordelia.

“Fine.” Angel and Spike each grabbed a couple things before making their way inside. Spike discarded the dishes on the sink and then went to the couch. He sighed happily as he hit the back of the couch. Closing his eyes he brought his feet up on the table. His eyes opened again when he heard the sound of the TV.

“You alright there?” Spike gave a sideways glance Angel’s way. The guy was unnerving him, what with being all caring. He just wasn’t used to it. It actually hadn’t really been a side he’d ever seen in his time.

“Right as rain. Just ‘bit tired. ‘ad a busy day ya know.”

“Yeah, I know….so who do you think’s gonna win?” Angel quickly changed topics.

“Dunno. Rootin’ for,” Spike looked at the screen to see who was playing, “red and black guys though.”

“Ya mean Ohio State?”

“Yeah.”

“Any reason why you’re changing teams?”

“Dunno, just felt like it.”

“Alright. Then while you’re being a traitor, I’ll root for UCLA.” Angel said, with a hint of pride in his voice. Spike turned his attention off of Angel and partially on to the game. He wasn’t a huge fan of American football, but it wasn’t like he had to say anything, just had to look like he was enjoying it and then also berate himself for opening his big mouth about teams.
End Notes:
Brackets for italicization isn't working--tried different ones than those showing up in the text. So I apologize that those words aren't actually italicized.
This story archived at http://https://spikeluver.com/SpuffyRealm/viewstory.php?sid=34414