Love isn't easy by Buffy Williams
Summary: "Seeing Red" my way. Instead of hightailing it to Africa, Spike's there when Buffy's shot by Warren. (THERE IS NO RAPE IN THIS STORY!!!)
Categories: General Fics Characters: None
Genres: Romance, Angst
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: No Word count: 6430 Read: 9969 Published: 08/12/2004 Updated: 11/01/2004

1. one by Buffy Williams

2. two by Buffy Williams

3. three by Buffy Williams

4. four by Buffy Williams

5. five by Buffy Williams

6. six by Buffy Williams

one by Buffy Williams
disclaimer: nothing's mine......but i'll willingly settle for James!!!!

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

WHAM!

Buffy cracked the vampire hard across the jaw. She threw punches at him, but the vamp blocked every single one.

While exchanging hits, Buffy managed to say, "Not bad. How hard you gonna hit when you're blowin' in the wind?"

Buffy whipped out a stake and thrust it towards the vamp's chest. He knocked it out of her hands, and she said, "OK, that's not good."

The vamp planted a kick to her chest that sent her flying into a gravestone. Pain like she never experienced shot through Buffy's back, and when she saw the vamp heading towards her, she tried to get up, but fell back down with a cry of pain.

The vamp lifted her up the her shirt, and lowered his head to her neck.

Buffy closed her eyes, waiting to feel the sharp penetration of fangs.....

....when dust rained on her.

She opened her eyes, to see a worried Spike standing over her, stake in hand. "You OK?" he asked, concern in his voice.

"I'm fine." she said through clenched teeth. The last thing she wanted was help from him. "Go away. Now."

But Spike, being the stubborn vampire he is, stood there, waiting for her to stand. When she showed no signs of moving, he sighed and sat down on a nearby headstone.

"We....we have to talk, Buffy," he said softly. He closed his eyes, keeping his emotions together. She wouldn't forgive him if he broke down and cried like a baby.

"I have NOTHING to say to you," she grunted as she pushed herself into a sitting position. "Now, Go. Away."

"I......I'm sorry," he said. "About....."

Buffy raised her eyes to his and forced hers to harden when she saw the raw pain reflected in the cereulean deapths. "Nothing to be sorry about. I don't care or have a choice in who you sleep with."

"I was drunk! And lonely, and....." he trailed off, and allowed his face to soften. "Tell me it didn't hurt, seeing me with Anya. Tell me.....tell me it didn't touch something sour inside you when you saw me with another woman, and I'll leave. I'll leave Sunnydale, I'll leave California....just.......tell me it didn't mean anything, and I'm gone."

She didn't answer.

"Right," he sighed. "Why are you fighting me? Why can't you admit to yourself that you love me?"

"I can't," she choked. "I can't...."

"Says who? The Scoobies? What does it matter what they say? Who are they to judge who you're with? I mean, ex-vengeance demon? Werewolf? Witch?"

"They all have souls," Buffy gritted out.

"All but one."

Buffy raised her head. "Wha-What do you mean?"

"Well....Anya. She doesn't have a soul anymore."

"What?"

"She's a demon again. No soul. She still your friend?"

"Well, yeah...."

"Why?"

"Because she felt guilty!"

"No. She didn't. She told me that night at the party where the house was possessed that she missed being able to castrate people with the wave of her hand."

"N-No....she had a soul!"

"Why are you so hung up on this soul, Slayer? There are people with souls that have done worse things! Hitler killed millions of people, Harris left his girl at the alter......William Shatner poisoned us with his music....they all have souls. If souls make everything better, things would have worked out between you and peaches."

"ANGEL felt guilty about everything he did as Angelus."

"And I felt guilty for hurting you!" he snapped. Tears sprung to his eyes, clinging to his lashes. "I hurt you. And now I hate myself. Is that guilt, Buffy? Hating yourself for hurting someone?"

She didn't answer.

He sighed and stood up, wiping his eyes. "Right then, Slayer. When you finally figure out it's not up to your mates to decide what's good for you, I'll be...in my crypt."

He turned and began to walk away, only to be stopped by a softly spoken, "Wait...."

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

AN---------do you like it so far?

please review! i don't know if i should continue!
two by Buffy Williams
disclaimer: sigh. damn u. i want to own everything BTVS but can't. poop.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Spike stopped, and turned his head so that he could see her out of the corner of his eyes. Never fully turning to face her, he said, "What."

"Don't go."

He turned to face her now, and placed his hands on his hips. "Give me a reason."

"I-I know what I want......"

He let his hands drop to his sides, and took a step closer to her body. "Buffy?" he asked softly.

"I-I want....."

"What, luv? What do you want?" Another step closer. Two feet away now.

Tears were pooling in her eyes, and it was all he could do not to fall to her side and gather her into his arms.

"I....I want us...."

He was crouching beside her now. "U-Us?" he whispered shakily. "There's an us?"

Her eyes lifted to his. "I want there to be...." she whispered. "Can we start over? Can....can we have a fresh start?"

He fell to his knees beside her, tears of his own making their way down his face. He cradled his head in his hands as the salty droplets fell.

When he didn't answer, she asked timidly, "Spike?"

He looked up at her and, not trusting his voice, nodded. She sighed in relief. "Thank god." She attempted to get into a crouching position and winced. "And now to go home to my new best friend, Mr. IcyHot patch."

Spike's eyes filled with concern, just now remembering her injury. "Are you ok?"

"Yeah, I'm fi-haaaAAAH!" she gasped as pain shot up her back when she tried to straighten. She fell into Spike's arms. He scooped her up and carried her back to her house.

***

Xander walked into Buffy's house, face bloodied and bruised. "Hey Buffy! I found Warren! Well, actually, my face kinda found--" He stopped talking when he saw the familiar duster laying on the railing. Rage boiled inside of him and he headed upstairs, grabbing the coat along his way.

He burst into Buffy's room. "So this is what you call not seeing him anymore?" But it wasn't Buffy he was talking to.

"You," he growled, seeing Spike sitting on Buffy's bed. "What the hell are you doing here?"

"Slayer got hurt. I helped her. She's taking a shower."

"Good," Xander snarled. "Then she won't be able to stop me from doing this." He withdrew a stake from his backpocket and advanced on Spike. Having successfully cornered the vampire, he raised the stake, ready to strike, when all of a sudden, it wasn't in his hand anymore.

He looked to his right, stunned to see Buffy holding his wrist. "Leave him be, Xander."

A disgusted look crossed his features. "You're standing up for him?"

"He didn't do anything."

"He slept with Anya!"

"And she slept with him. I know it was wrong, but they didn't mean for it to happen. It's what you get when you combine drunk demons and vengeance together." Buffy surprised herself with her reasoning. Hadn't shee herself had been ragging on Spike about his tryst with Anya only 30 minutes ago? "Now. You are going to get out of this house, or you are going to apologize to Spike."

Xander wrenched his hand out of her grasp and, throwing one last hate filled glance at Spike, slammed his way out of the house.

When he was gone, Buffy collapsed on Spike's chest. As her tears soaked through his tee, he stroked he hair and planted a kiss to the top of her head.

"Th-That was so hard, Spike.....he's my best friend....."

"I know, baby......I know."

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

AN----yay! another chapter! this is an accomplishment to me b/c i lack the ability to be dedicated to anything! yay for ADD!!!

please review!!!
three by Buffy Williams
disclaimer: none of it's mine

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

"Buffy?" Willow said as she walked into her friend's room. She saw Buffy's tear stained face and Spike holding her. "My god, what happened? Spike? What're you doing here?"

"Buffy got 'urt and asked me to help 'er. And the whelp came home and pretty much upset her."

"Xander? What'd he do, Buff?"

"Threatened Spike," she whispered. "And then I told him to apologize and he stormed out. He hates me, Will."

"Buffy, I'm sure he doesn't....."

"Will's right," came Xander's voice from the hallway. "I don't hate you. I can't say I'm happy about you and.....him, but--"

"Xander," she interrupted. "Why are you here."

Xander's face fell. She obviously wasn't going to talk to him just yet. "Will....called me. Said she found something."

Buffy wiped her eyes and went into Superhero mode. "What'd you find?"

***

Later, Buffy and Co. were gathered around the table, shifting through the things she had gotten from the Geek Trio's lair.

"How did you get all this, luv?"

"Crashed into their basement. Picked up a bunch of papers then looked at this whiteboard and it said 'Too Late' and then a bunch of buzz saws came out and tried to make some Slice 'n' Dice Buffy. Ripped my coat, too."

"What?!" Spike asked, concerned. "Are you hurt?"

Buffy rolled her eyes and said, "Spike. Do you think I would care about whether or not they ruined my jacket if I got hurt."

"No."

"Exactly." She turned to Tara. "So whadda we got?"


"Well," Willow said, " we were able to decipher pretty much everything except these."

She handed Buffy half a dozen sheets of a parchment inscribed with strange markings.

"It's not written in any ancient language we could identify --" Tara began.

Xander interrupted with a chuckle. "It's Klingon. They're love poems --" He stopped when he realized how much of a geek he was close to sounding. "-- which would have nothing to do with the insidious scheme you're about to describe."

Buffy sifted through the papers. "What do you got that doesn't rhyme?"

Tara held up a data CD. "This."

"It was filled with encoded blueprints and schematics," Willow said.

Willow laid out a stack of computer printouts from the CD.

Buffy eyed them. "To what?"

Tara shuffled through the printouts. "Banks, armored car routes, corporate vaults... This is big."

Handing the printouts to Buffy, Willow said, "They're looking to score some serious dinero. I don't think they're planning just one job."

"Spree, anyone?" Xander quipped.

Buffy frowned as she eyed all the printouts. "I can't cover all of these at once."

"You don't have to," Willow assured. " There's one here we think they'll hit tonight."

Tara offered to the group, "It's time sensitive."

Willow handed Buffy the printout.

Xander rubbed his sore face and said, "Be careful. Warren's gone all Mighty Mouse. Emphasis on the might."

"Good. I won't have to hold back."

"Wait," Spike said. "You're bloody not going alone!"

"You can't come with me, Spike. They're human. How are you going to defend yourself? I am going. Alone."

***

Warren gritted his teeth and heaved, violently slamming the armored car on its side. Steam hissed from the crumpled hood. The Guards were knocked unconscious inside the cab.

Jonathon and Andrew stood off to the side, also in bomber jackets, watching the action from the shadows.

Andrew whispered to himself, "Man, I can't wait to get my hands on his orbs."

Jonathon turned his head slowly to look at him. "You are so gay."


Warren riped off the thick steel door off the back of the armored car and tossed it aside.

"Excuse me," came Buffy's voice. "Is this your bank?"

Warren jerked his head up and saw Buffy standing above him on top of the overturned car.

"'Cause if not, there's gonna be a fee for that."

She dropped down on Warren. He caught her in mid fall and tossed her to the side. She landed hard, twenty feet away

Warren casually strolled towards her, saying, "I was wondering when Super Bitch would show up."

Buffy struggled to her feet. "You really got a problem with strong women, don't you?"

Warren shrugged. "Nothing I can't handle."

He threw a punch, causing her head to reel back from the blow. They exchanged hits, going to toe to toe. No matter how hard she hit him, Warren kept coming. Warren landed a couple of hard blows and Buffy staggered back, still feeling the effects of her run in with the vamp.

"Seem a little off. Bad day?" Warren sneered.

Buffy shrugged. "It's getting better."

She laid into him with a flurry of lightening fast blows. He was strong, but not nearly as fast as she was.

Warren swungs wildly and missed. She flipped over him, grabbed the big steel door he had ripped off the armored car and she parked him in the cheap seats.

Warren sailed back, crashing into the base of the archway. He shook the blow off.

Laughing, he said, "That all you got?" Just then, the stone above him cracked. He whipped his head up in time for a huge part of the arch to break loose fromt he impact he caused. He disappeared under the rubble.

Andrew screamed in anguish. "No!"

Buffy whipped her head around and spotted Jonathan and Andrew. She started towards them, her eyes flashing with anger, saying, "There's two ways this can end. And right about now I'm thinking they're both gonna hurt."

A strange, excited smile split Andrew's lips. "I think you're right."

A rumbling split the air behind Buffy. She turned and saw Warren rising from beneath the rubble. Her face dropped. His clothes were a little worse for wear, but he was unscathed.

What's the matter baby?" he said. " Never fight a real man before?"

He grinned, ready for round two.

Warren attacked, raining blows down. Buffy countered, spun, and caught him with a devastating kick to the back. Warren sailed into the side of the armored car, dented the steel and landed in a heap.

Buffy caught her breath. "That oughta --" She stopped.

Warren got up again. He cracked his neck and laughed, enjoying himself. "Wow. That almost hurt, kitten."

Buffy grit her teeth and attacked. They traded blows, but he began to wear her down. She was quickly forced to go on the defensive.

Meanwhile, Andrew's face was twisted in gleeful bloodlust. Eggin Warren on, he shouted out, "Kill her! Kill her!"

Jonathan looked at him, horrified. This had gotten way out of hand.

Buffy was so exhausted that she could barely defend herself. Warren savored the moment, landing blows at will and toyed with her.

"You know who I am?" Warren asked.

"You're a murderer."

Warren laughed. "That too. But more to the point --"

She tried to hit him but he blocked, and then smacked her hard across the face with an open hand.

Warren continued. "I'm the guy that beat you. And it's not the muscles, baby."

He blocked her again and smacked her across the other side of her face. "It's the brains."

He cracked her hard, sending her reeling back. She glared, bloody and winded but far from giving up.

"I'll remember that when I knock 'em clean out of your --" she began to say, when all of a sudden, Johnathon leapt onto her back, screaming like a crazy person. Warren laughed, amused by the sight.

"Whoa, Sparky! Didn't think you had it in you.

Johnathon hissed in Buffy's ear, "The orbs! Smash his orbs -"

Buffy threw him off. Jonathan landed hard and groaned in pain. Buffy locked eyes him, registering what he just said --with but just a moment too late. Warren was already on her, beating the hell out of her.

Buffy managed to block several blows, then delivered a stunning kick to Warren's crotch -- which had no effect.

Jonathan grimaced amd said to himself, "Not those orbs!"

Warren attacked, the kick to the crotch having infuriated him. Buffy tried to fight back but there wasn't much left in her. Warren landed a blow to her stomach, sending her gasping to her knees. He loomed over her.

He reared his fist back for the deathblow. As he did, his jacket pulled back, revealing the leather pouch containing the Orbs of Nezzla'khan.

"Say good night, bitch," he smirked.

Buffy spotted the pouch just in time. She ripped it off his belt and smashed it to the ground.

The red energy he had absorbed earlier from the orbs is ripped out of him. He grunted in pain as his eyes flashed red for an instant -- then it was gone. Buffy stood, powerful, victorious.

Holding her hands over the orbs, Buffy whispered, "Good night, bitch." She stood up, spun around and kicked him in the chest and sent him flying back. He landed hard, bloodied and bruised.

Buffy advanced slowly, her contempt for Warren blazing. He struggled to his feet, trying to bite back the tears of pain and humiliation.

Buffy continued, "You're nothing but a sad little boy, Warren. But it's time to grow up-and pay for what you've done."

"Get away from me!" Warren screamed. He desperately stripped off his jacket, revealing a harness underneath. He was breathing heavy, furious and unhinged. Sleek little twin rockets clicked into place on a back plate -- yes, kids, it's a jet pack.

"I swear to god I'm gonna take you down," he hissed. "You piece of.."

He hit a thumb ignition switch and rocketed off into the sky on a pillar of jet exhaust. Buffy craned her neck and watched in disbelief. "Oh come on."

"Well played, Slayer!" Andrew hissed, and ripped off his jacket and revealed a jet pack. Jonathan looked upset.

"Why didn't I get one of those?!"

Andrew ignored him. "This round to you. But the game is far from over."

He hit the ignition. He shot up into the air -- and slammed into an overhanging roof structure five feet above him. He crashed back to earth, unconscious, his rockets sputtering out.

Buffy rolled her eyes, and, after calling the cops, limped home.

***

As soon as she walked in the door, Spike was upon her, checking for injuries.

"I'm fine," she said, trying to get upstairs. She noticed the look of hurt on his face, and sighed. "Spike...I'm just tired. Can we go to bed?"

"But Buff," said Willow. "What happened?"

Taking Spike's hand, Buffy said, "I'll tell you tomorrow. Can....can I just get some rest, please?"

Not waiting for an answer, she led Spike up the stairs and found comfort in his arms.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

AN----that was a really long chapter......

and yup, next chap, warren comes round w/ a gun

PLEASE REVIEW!!!
four by Buffy Williams
The next night, Buffy stood outside, poking around the backyard with a stick, searching for cameras. She thought about last night with Spike. She was pretty sure that he hadn’t gone to sleep that night, but instead had watched her sleep. When she had woken up, he looked like he was about to fall asleep so she had told him to go ahead. That had been around 12 noon and it was now around 10.

Xander’s voice startled her. “Time for the Spring Poking already?”

Buffy didn’t look up. “Just making sure there's no more Evil Trio cameras. Or Evil Uno.”

Xander grinned. “The sinister yet addictive card game?”

Buffy looked up and offered him a small smile. “Warren. Jonathan and Andrew got klinked, but Warren pulled a Rocket Man. It was a thing.”

Xander inched closer, his hope spurned on by her smile. “You'll find him. He won't be much good without his friends.”

Buffy looked back down at the ground, and started re-poking the ground. “No. He won't,” she said, softly.

An awkward silence ensued. Xander struggled to find the right words but couldn’t. Finally, he said, “How did we get here?”

Not looking up, she replied, “Scenic route. Long drive.”

Xander smiled slightly but dropped it as he continued, “These last few weeks...”

She looked up at him then. “I know.”

“I mean, I thought I hit bottom, but... It hurt. That you didn't trust me enough to tell me about Spike. It hurt. And it hurts that you think that I would do ANYTHING to destroy your happiness. But it really, really hurts that you didn’t tell me.”

Buffy winced. “I'm sorry. I should have told you.” Straightening, she said, “But this was my decision, Xand. He makes me feel....complete. But.....I know I should have told you.”

Xander looked down at his hands, guilty. “Maybe you would have. If I hadn't given you so many reasons to think I'd be an ass about it.”

Buffy nodded. “Guess we both did a couple of things we're not proud of. But, it’ll work out. Look at me and Spike-”

Xander interrupted. “Think I got you beat.”

“Uhm.....with....what? Ya kinda lost me.”

“With the....screwing up of things.”

Buffy smiled. “Wanna compare?”

Xander looked back up at her. “Not so much.”

They shared a smile. It faded quickly from Xander's face.

Xander continued. “I don't know what I'd do... without you and Will...”

“And I don’t know what I’d do without any of you. Let's not find out.”

She took him in her arms. He hugged her close, tears of relief breaking loose as he finally let go of his anger and pain.

Buffy closed her eyes. “I love you. You know that. right?”

Xander opened his mouth to reply-- but his eyes went wide with horror.

Xander pulled back and said with warning in his voice. “Buffy –”

Buffy turned. Warren stood in the very back of the yard, his battered face was twisted in rage and humiliation as he spat out, "You think you can just do that to me? That I'd let you get away with it? Think again...”

*~::~*

Inside the house, while Buffy and Xander are talking.....

Spike opened his eyes and stretched, reaching for Buffy. He sat up when he realized she wasn’t there. Standing, he walked to Willow and Tara’s room. He coughed when he saw the two kiss. They broke apart, startled. “Spike!” exclaimed Willow. “Where’s Buffy?”

He raised an eyebrow. “Dunno. Was gonna ask you. But you seemed a bit....um, preoccupied.”

Embarrassed, Tara moved to the window. Her eyes widened and then softened. “Spike,” she called. “I found Buffy.”

Curious, Spike moved to the window. He smiled when he saw Buffy and Xander hugging. They had obviously worked things out. Suddenly, the hairs on his neck raised, and his eyes turned gold as he registered danger. “Tara. Red.” They turned to him, startled by his hard voice. “Get out of this room. Now.”

“What? Why-”

He spun around, and grabbed them both by their arms, dragging them both and himself out of the room. “Something bad’s going to happen. Get down to the basement, and stay there.”

“But-”

“Go!”

The two wicca’s exchanged a look, before running down stairs.

Spike walked carefully downstairs and stood in the kitchen, watching the scene outside. His eyes widened when he heard the click of a gun and Buffy and Xander stood.

“No...”

He recognized that determined look on her face. She was going to try and grab the weapon from him.

But, before she could react Warren raised a black automatic handgun and opened fire, the violence of bullets exploding from the muzzle startled even him.

Before he knew what was happening, he was running.

*~::~*

Buffy shoved Xander to the ground. He landed hard, regaining his senses just in time to see Spike run into the yard and tackle Warren to the ground. He was obviously ignoring the frying in his brain. He continued to beat on the man until he resembled nothing more than a bloody pulp.. Xander swallowed his heart back into his chest. He turned to the ground, and was horrified by what he saw.

“SPIKE!” he screamed. “Spike, get over here NOW!”

Clutching his head in agony that he couldn’t describe, he stumbled to Xander....

...and the pain disappeared at what he saw.

Buffy lay on the ground, bullet deeply imbedded in her left shoulder, blood sputtering out of the wound. Her eyes were wide as pain rocketed through her system.

Spike dropped to his knees beside her, and pushed his hand down upon the wound. Fear coursed through him and tears stung his eyes as she wheezed out, with blood sputtering from her lips, “Spike....”

*~::~*~::~*~::~*~::~*~::~*~::~*~::~*~::~*~::~*~::~*~::~*~::~*~::~*~::~*~::~*~::~*

AN-------yaaaaay! Well, not yay that Spike’s sad cuz that’s never good. But yay cuz I got a new chappie up! Yaaaay!

MMMM MMMM.....i do love me some feedback!
five by Buffy Williams
Disclaimer: AGH! Don’t sue! I own nothing!!!!

_____________________________________________________


Spike dropped to his knees beside her, and pushed his hand down upon the wound. Fear coursed through him and tears stung his eyes as she wheezed out, with blood sputtering from her lips, “Spike....” The tears poured down his face as his hands pushed down on the bullet wound. Xander stood, and Spike bit out, “Get Willow and Tara. NOW.”

Xander ran inside the house, trying desperately not to panic, and left the distraught vampire in the backyard.

“Buffy…” Spike whispered. “Don’t…don’t you give up on me…c’mon baby…f-fight…” Her eyes fluttered close, and he pushed harder on the wound to slow the bleeding. Tears tracked their way down his face, to the crimson stain on Buffy’s blouse. “You won’t…CAN’T die, damn it…I just found you…” Blood spurted through his fingers, and he whispered, “Hurry up, Xander…”


*~::~*


Xander burst into the house, calling out, “WILLOW, TARA!”

Willow burst through the basement door, Tara close behind her. “Xander! What’s going on? Tara and I heard-”

“Buffy’s been shot.” They gasped, and he grabbed the phone. “Willow, go outside, and try to calm Spike down. Tara, water and sponge. Go clean around her wound but…put pressure on it.” He dialed 911 and yelled at them, “GO!”

The two rushed outside, and Xander took a deep shaky breath, trying to stop from crying. As one tear fell down his face, he answered to the voice on the other end. “Y-Yes…my friend’s been shot.”


*~::~*


Willow ran towards the vampire, and jumped when he looked up, tears streaming down his face. Tara knelt beside Buffy and began to clean off Spike’s hands and the area around them.

Willow sat down and placed a comforting hand on Spike’s shoulder. “Shh…she’s going to be okay. Shh…”


*~::~*


They let him ride in the ambulance. He spent the entire time crying silently, and watching as Buffy struggled to live.

A slayer for six years, she’d faced so many different demons, monsters, and baddies. She’d been the best slayer he’d seen; staking evil right and left. No big bad could ever get the upper hand.

No spell, no weapon, no fights could ever get this Slayer. So far, only the Master and a hell dimension portal had really beaten her.

But now?

Now it was a bullet. Small and deadly, the piece of metal had managed to do what no fledging, demon, or warlock had done:

Injured her so badly that Spike feared it fatal.

And now all he could do…was hope.


*~::~*

Carrie looked up as the hospital doors burst open. A small blonde girl was wheeled in quickly, nurses and doctors crowding her. But what really caught the receptionist’s eye was the man running in after them. Hair shockingly white, eyes blue and cheekbones sharp, she was sure he was a model.

And then he tiredly ran his hand through his hair, leaving a crimson streak in it. She looked down at the blue button down he was wearing, splotches of dark covering it. He looked ready to collapse and fat tears rolled down his face.

He looked around and saw her at the counter and ran forward. Splaying his hands on the table, he said, “Can…can I go with her?”

She watched as another tear rolled down his face, and nodded.

He turned around and flew down the hall, leaving bloodied handprints on the counter.

*~::~*

Spike grasped onto Buffy’s hand as the doctors tried to get the bullet out of her. All the while, his ears were fixed on the heartbeat in her chest, and his eyes on the machine that assured him he wasn’t imagining it.

And that’s when it happened.

They got the bullet out, and blood spurted from her wound.

The hole was immediately covered, but that didn’t stop what happened next.

The last thing he saw before being led out was the steady, beeping line on the machine pick up pace and eventually stop.

He slid bonelessly to the floor, listening as the doctors attempted to start her heart again.

He stood up all of the sudden, and made his way over to Willow and Tara. Andas he stared into their eyes…

…they knew what they had to do.
six by Buffy Williams
Disclaimer: if I owned BTVS, spike would’ve been the one that buffy met in season 1, fell in love with, and was together with forever and ever and ever.

But sadly…I own nothing.

[a/n]---I’m not going to lie. I don’t know Italian. I will never know Italian. I’m using the translator at dictionary.com. also, i know nothing about spells. Nothing. so I’m sorry if it’s screwed.
_______________________________________________________________________

Spike hit the double doors to the ER with both hands, not stopping to keep them open for Willow and Tara. The two witches hurried to keep up with the emotionally distraught vampire, and reached the operating room at the same time as Spike. They looked at each other, then turned their gaze to their friend, who was slipping away with every faltering beat.

Spike burst through the door again, and the doctors and nurses looked up, shocked.

“Sir!” yelled one nurse. “You need to leave-”

He allowed his demon to slip into control, shifting the contours of his face. The personnel gasped, and he growled out, “Leave. Before I do something that I’ll really. Really. Regret.”

The nurses all hurried to leave, but one doctor stood tall. He wasn’t stupid; he knew that all the patients with ‘dog bites’ weren’t running into angry puppies. He knew that things went bump in the night. He knew that there were vampires running around in this god forsaken town. “Sir,” he said, firmly. “I realize that you are worried about this woman’s well being, but I insist you leave!”

Spike growled, low and lethal, and the doctor got the message; either he get out, or Spike would MAKE him. He dropped the things he was holding back onto the tray, and left the room.

Now that all the staff was gone, Tara closed her eyes and muttered something under her breath, and a white, woman shaped candle appeared with ‘BUFFY’ written in Gothic script on the chest. Next to it appeared some mint oil, a photograph of Buffy, and some matches.

She opened her eyes, and opened the mint oil. Tara handed the small vial to Willow and instructed, “Anoint the candle with the oil and then light it, while visualizing healing energy.” She closed her eyes, and Willow did as she was told.

Rubbing the ointment over the smooth contours of the wax, Willow thought of a glowing white light, flowing from hers and Tara’s fingers and into the candle. After she was done smoothing the oil in, she set it down on the photograph of the Slayer, and lit the wick.

The wiccans grasped each others hand, and began to chant in Italian.

“Nel nome divine del goddess che respira la vita in noi tutta io consecrate e carichi questa candela come attrezzo magickal per guar.”


They paused, allowing the flame to soak in their power, and it flowed between them, the candle, and into the spot where the blood was caked on Buffy’s chest. The candle burned down quickly, and they began to chant once more.

"Magick ripara ed esamina in controluce l'ustione, estremità di malattia; buon ritorno di salute.”


Their heads snapped back, eyes opened. Tara’s glowed white, and Willow glowed blue. Their voices took on a deeper, more dangerous and powerful sounding tone.

“Lasciato là sta vivendo in questo corpo! Lasci la ferita chiudersi e guarire! Con tutta la mia magia, lascila essere!”


Spike stood back, not wanting to get in the way of their magic, not wanting to get in the way of Buffy’s life…

---

Xander waited outside in the waiting room, head in his shaking hands. He sighed, and laid his forearms across his knees.

Click…click…click..click..

He looked up when he heard the clacking of heels, and was slightly startled to see Anya running down the hall, coat flowing behind her. He rose as she came to a stop in front of him. Panting slightly, she gestured to the cell phone in his hand. “I-I got your message…”

He looked down at the phone in his hand and then back up at her, and whispered, “Yeah…”

“Is she…” She swallowed her wavering voice. “Is she alright?” she whispered, a tear falling down her face. “I-I mean…she’s going to be ok, right?” She sat down, staring at the wall. “She’s not going to die…right?”

Xander sat down, a plastic blue seat separating the two former lovers. “She’s…” He sighed, not able to force out the words ‘going to be okay’. “I can’t lie to you. She…lost blood.”

“But…she loses blood a lot, right? I mean…she’s the Slayer…can’t she heal herself?”

“You don’t understand,” he said, beginning to get agitated. “She lost a LOT of blood!”

“So?”

“God damn it, Anya!” he yelled, standing up and glaring down at her. “She was SHOT! In her left shoulder, where her heart is! She’s might DIE, and you’re saying ‘so’? Jesus, Anya, that’s my FRIEND in there!”

“Damn it, Xander!” she yelled, standing face to face with him now. “She’s my friend, too! You think you’re the only one that’s worried that she won’t make it out!? That I’m worried that she won’t make it out? That she’ll die?!” His eyes darted away from her, and tears rose to her eyes. “You do, don’t you? Think that I don’t care? Well guess what, Harris? I do. God damn it, I do.” The tears were pouring down her face, and she didn’t seem to care. “I’m a VENGEANCE DEMON, Xander! I cause pain, and death, an-and bloodshed, and I’m sitting here, worrying about the bane of demon existence! I’m not SUPPOSED to do that, but I do. I care about the person who’s put her life on the line so many times that…that…god, I can’t even THINK!” She wiped her tears off her face with the back of her hand. “Get over yourself, Alexander, and start to think about how other people feel.”

---

10 minutes ago, after Xander called Anya…

“Catherine!” called the teenaged girl’s mother. “Could you answer the phone?”

The blonde 16 year old rolled her eyes at Dawn, who was sitting on her floor. “Be right back.”

Dawn nodded, and went back to watching ‘Pirates Of The Caribbean’. After about 30 seconds of waiting, Catherine padded into the room softly. “D-Dawn?” she whispered. “I-It’s for you…”

Dawn frowned, and said, “What about?”

“Y-You’re sister…” Her friend handed the phone to her, tears in her eyes. “I’m so…sorry…”

Now extremely worried, Dawn took the phone. “Hello?”

“…”

“Xander? What’s going on?”

“…”

“Hospital? Why are you-”

Catherine watched, biting her lip, as Dawn’s face paled and tears began to run down her face. “Wh-what? No. No, you’re wrong!”

“…”

“YOU’RE WRONG!” she sobbed into the receiver. “SHE’S GOING TO LIVE! She is NOT going to die!” The phone fell from her hand, and she whispered, “Buffy…”


Now…

Dawn ran through the double doors, tears blinding her eyes. She stopped in the middle of the room and looked around, and caught sight of Xander. She ran towards him, and wrapped herself around his torso, tears wetting his shirt. “Xander,” she whispered. “Xander…”

She looked up at him, and caught sight of the equally teary Anya right behind him. She pulled out of his arms and walked towards Anya. “Anya…” she whispered, and the two embraced, both needing the comfort.

And Xander stood to the side, watching as the woman he still loved embraced the girl he thought of as a little sister.

---

The light faded from Willow and Tara’s eyes, and they fell to the floor as the spell completed. Spike, now sure that he could step forward, ran to them and picked them up, asking them if they were ok. Then, he suddenly turned, and ran towards Buffy. He knelt beside her bed, grasping her still cold hand, and whispered, “C’mon love…open those beautiful eyes…”

Nothing.

“Please, baby…”

No response.

“Buffy, please…open your eyes for me, love…show me that you’re here…”

The last word was uttered by the six in the room, Xander, Dawn and Anya having joined the room.

“Please…”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TBC
This story archived at http://https://spikeluver.com/SpuffyRealm/viewstory.php?sid=3838