A Brand New Day by Magan
Summary: After Sunnydale was no more, Buffy and gang head to LA to let Angel know that they were ok, but something unexpected happens in the form of a former vampire.
Categories: General Fics Characters: None
Genres: Romance, Angst
Warnings: Adult Language, Sexual Situations
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 8 Completed: No Word count: 24361 Read: 73578 Published: 09/14/2003 Updated: 02/01/2005

1. Chapter 1 by Magan

2. Chapter 2 by Magan

3. Chapter 3 by Magan

4. Chapter 4 by Magan

5. Chapter 5 by Magan

6. Chapter 6 by Magan

7. Chapter 7 by Magan

8. Chapter 8 by Magan

Chapter 1 by Magan
Updated: June 18, 2004

*******
Buffy was left standing alone looking down at the big crater that was once Sunnydale. Faith took care of Wood while the others were tending to the new slayers.

The slayer couldn’t help thinking of her last moments with Spike.

“Buffy!” Spike called out to her and she races over to him.

“Spike!”

She dove out of the way, when a ray of pure soulful sunlight blasted from the amulet Spikes’ wearing. It dusted the vampires within an instant, at the same time as the cavern begins to crumble around them. Faith was yelling at everyone to leave, but Buffy isn’t listening to the brunette slayer. Buffy’s eyes are only focused upon Spike when she rushed to his aid.

“I can feel it, Buffy.”

Spike was pinned into place as the energy from the amulet blasted out of it.

“What?” She queried, concern covering her face.

Looking into his eyes the tears began to well up in her own. Buffy was scared for him and was speechless.

The cavern began falling down around them and it didn’t matter, all she wanted was to be with him.

“My soul... It’s really there, kinda stings,”

Damn, does that sting! I can't believe it, my soul is really there. I kinda wish I had this thing all along.’

Spike wanted her to leave, but his beautiful blonde slayer wasn’t going anywhere. To stubborn for her own good. “Go on, then.”

“You've done enough, you can still...” Please Spike, come with me. I don't want you to die. I don't want to leave this place without you! Please!! Her eyes plead with him.”

He looked at her lovingly, knowing that it isn't possible for him to leave. He has to stay, and do what he must.

“NO! You beat ‘em back, it’s for me to do the clean up.”

Faith ran back down the steps calling for Buffy to leave; Buffy finally heard her but she’s not willing to leave with out Spike.

”BUFFY! COME ON!” Faith yelled out.

Faith didn’t stick around to find out if B is coming or not. Buffy remained at Spike’s side, she can’t leave, she won’t leave, not until he’s with her.

“Gotta move, lamb. I think it’s fair to say schools out for bloody summer.”

The cavern around them began to collapse from the top and the bottom, but was Buffy still at his side. The school fell on the vamps and they dust.

“Spike!” She pleads with him.

“I mean it. I gotta do this!”

Spike held up his hand, and it remained frozen in place and Buffy joined hers to his. For a moment, their hands burst into flames and she could feel his soul, a powerful soul! One that’s meant to do good, to save the world! They look to one another, neither wanting to leave, a moment of pure love passed between them.

“I love you!” There I finally said it!!

He smiled at her kindly, “No, you don't. But thanks for saying it,”

Why say it now, after all this time. You don't really mean it Buffy. It doesn't help me with what I need to do.

As he spoke, a boulder fell within two feet of them and Spike pushed her away, closer to the exit.

“It’s your world up there. Now GO!”

Looking up at him, the tears spilled over. Buffy knew it was the worst possible moment to say it, but she needed him to know. There were dozens of times she could have said it, but it scared her. All the men she’d ever loved in her life have left her. Now it was happening again. Her heart was breaking into pieces. How was she ever going to live with knowing it happened yet again?

Spike gestured with his head, so she would leave. She pleaded silently with him one more time, but he wasn’t going anywhere, and she knew it. There was nothing more she could do, and she gave up, bolting, leaving Spike behind.

As Buffy was running up the steps, and through the school, she turned back several times, hoping that Spike flowered her, unfortunately, he hadn’t.

The shouts of the others brought her back to reality and her thoughts of Spike and the cavern faded into the distance. She so desperately wanted him to believe she loved him, but he couldn't come to terms with it. He had other things that he needed to do, like saving the world.

A tear sprang to her eyes, closing them she shook her head, “Spike I do love you, I know I’ll always love you.” “You’re in my heart and I’ll never forget what you did.” “You’re a champion, you’re my champion….I hope you know it.”

She took a few minutes to compose herself, and then wiped the tears away, smiled weakly and took a deep breath. She knew everything would be ok.

“Goodbye... My love!”

She began walking towards the bus; then suddenly she felt weak, sick to her stomach.

“Whoa,” She placed her right hand on her head, and passed out. Something had passed through her that very moment. It felt cold yet familiar, but she couldn't figure it out.

****

Back at the bus, Giles Kennedy, Faith, Dawn and Willow had been making sure that everyone was settled in. Xander and Andrew carried Wood to the rear of the bus, so he was more comfortable.

“Everyone settled in?” Giles finally said, pushing up his sleeves. “We'll be leaving shortly.”

Dawn spoke up, “Buffy’s’ still outside, I guess…I guess she’s saying goodbye.”

“Faith, will you see about getting Buffy?” “We’re ready to go,” Giles’ voice piped up over the sounds of confusion.

“Sure thing,” she said, heading out the bus. Stepping down she found Buffy lying on the ground

“Oh no,” Faith said, running over to Buffy, “Buffy!” Turning around, she called out, “Willow, Giles, Xander, come quick!”

Hearing Faith’s cry they looked out the windows and saw Buffy lying on the ground.

”What... What’s wrong with her?” Dawn asked, frantically.

“Stay here Dawnie,” Willow said, “We'll check it out!”

”I'll stay with you, Dawn,” Kennedy sat next to Dawn as Dawn kept looking out the back window.

Giles, Willow, and Xander headed out of the bus, and ran over to Buffy. Faith was already at her side, trying to wake her up.

“Buffy! Come on wake up!” Buffy didn’t move, Faith slapped her hard trying to bring her too.

Giles had already taken his glasses off and polished them several times.

”What the hell was that for?” Buffy asked.

“Sorry B, had to wake you up some how,” Faith replied, jokingly.

Bending down next to Buffy, Willow asked, “Are you OK?”

“Yeah, I think so.” As Buffy got up, she felt dizzy for moment. “Whoa, that was weird!”

“What the heck happened?” Xander asked in a worried tone.

“I don't know. I turned to go back to the bus, and all of a sudden it felt cold, and I couldn't breathe, I think that’s when I fainted.”

“Hmm, well, maybe everything just hit you at once,” Giles suggested.

“Nah, I don't think it was that. It was something different, but it felt familiar. I can't explain it.”

“Different how?” Willow asked, intrigued.

Buffy turned to look at the crater and then back at her friends.

“I've never felt that before. I can't explain it.”

“There’s no way we can look it up now,” Giles began gesturing at the crater, “We need to do research and we don't have the books to do it with.”

“Don't worry about it, I'll be fine.” Buffy smiled for Giles’ benefit, she shrugged it off for now. “Come on, let’s get going. We have to take care of these girls. Find us to a place to stay, and rest for a while.”

“Ah, yes, let’s get going then,” Giles said as they walked to the bus.

*****

Dawn was getting antsy waiting for Buffy to return to the bus. When she finally stepped inside Dawn hugged her big sister tightly.

“It’s nice to see you to, Dawn.”

”I was worried about you.”

“I'm fine. Sit down, we're leaving.” Buffy told her.

Dawn finally let go and sat down next to Andrew who was seated by Giles in the front of the bus.

Willow and Kennedy sat with arms around each other in the seat behind them. Buffy found a seat in the back; in a section where there weren’t any new slayers, and Faith and Wood were in the last long seat at the rear.

“Everyone ready? Ok then!” Giles started the bus. “We head to Angel’s?” He looked at Buffy from the mirror.

“Best place I can think of right now,” Buffy replied, half asleep. “We'll have to let them know everything is ok.”

Buffy leaned her head against the window as Giles drove off. Soon she was asleep, dreaming of the first time she met Spike.

The first time they had sex, the first time she realized she had feelings for him. Then suddenly the dream changed. She was in a dark room, with moonlight pouring through a window, overlooking a city. She was wearing a long black slinky slip dress and her hair was curly. Spike came in from a balcony dressed in a dark suit, silk shirt and a silk tie.

“Oooh, I love the way you look,” Buffy said with a smile.

“You look beautiful in the moonlight, love.”

Taking her hand, the couple began to dance, closely and slowly. Spike sniffed her hair. It smells of roses and strangely enough, vanilla. He then begins to nuzzle her neck. Buffy feels warm and safe in his arms. She doesn’t want this feeling to end…ever.

“Spike,” She stepped back, holding his arms. “What I said earlier, I really meant it.”

“I know that now.” He crushed his lips against hers, her knees felt weak and she didn’t want to leave his embrace.

He broke the kiss suddenly, stepped back, and disappeared.

“SPIKE!” Buffy cried out. “SPIKE!”

He was gone, gone from her life again. She began to cry, “Spike, don't leave me! Spike!”

The bus stopped abruptly and she woke up, looking around, realizing where she was.

Faith was smiling at her.

“So B, have a nice dream?” Faith asked, raising an eyebrow.

“What are you talking about?”

She noticed that she was crying, and quickly wiped the tears away.

Robin sat up, “She means you were calling out for Spike!”

“Oh...I did?” Buffy cheeks burned hot with embarrassment. She then looked around, it was night and they were in front of The Hyperion Hotel. She didn’t realize she’d slept that long.

She looked surprised when everyone in the front of the bus began exiting. Faith was helping Robin to his feet, when Buffy finally got up. She allowed them to pass by her, and she followed closely behind.

~~~


Inside the hotel, Angel had been pacing back and forth, getting frustrated. They hadn't heard anything from the slayers in hours. If she didn’t call, he was seriously going to head out alone and help.

Lorne tried to calm Angel down but it was no use, Angel was ready for a fight.

“Buffy!”

“Angel!” Buffy breathed.

He walked over to her, seeing the sadness in her eyes, “What happened?”

“Spike destroyed the vampires.” Buffy replied, sadly. “The hellmouth is closed for business... for ever” She was so tired, tired of being the slayer. She wanted to be normal for a change, but with many loose ends to tie up, it was never ending.

“That’s good to know,” Lorne added. “You must be really tired, cupcake. Why don't we get some rooms set up for all of you, and have a good nights rest?”

Lorne, Gunn, Wesley and Fred did just that.

Faith helped Robin to a chair. He was badly hurt, but still alive, barely.

“You're going!” Faith ordered.

“I'm not going anywhere.” Robin protested. He needed to go to the hospital, but he wasn't interested in going. He was tough, and figured that he'd come through this all right.

Minutes later, Gunn, Fred, and Wesley returned, and helped the girls to the rooms. Lorne came back down a few seconds later.

“Come with me, sugar bun,” He told Buffy. “I've got the prettiest room set up just for you.”

He gently pulled her up the stairs, and she followed without protesting. He opened the door to a brightly colored room. It had a balcony and…”Oh my God,” she realized that it was almost like the room in her dreams. Hmm, weird she thought.

Lorne’s smile faded as he noticed the expression on her face. She must not like it, he thought. “Is there something wrong? You don't like this room?”

“Oh, no, no. It’s lovely. It’s just...” She trailed off thinking about her dream.

“It’s not home… It'll be ok.” “I left my home, and I made a new home.” He smiled.
“Home is where your heart is...”

Funny you should say that, my heart is with Spike and now he’s gone.

“...Even if it is in your left butt cheek,” Lorne continued, lightheartedly.

Buffy began to cry and Lorne wrapped her up in a big hug. “Oh sweetie, it’s ok. It'll be ok.” They stood there in the same place for a long time, until she stepped back, whipping the tears away.

“I'm so sorry.”

“Don't be.”

She smiled, “I think I'd like to be alone now.”

“Oh, sure, sure! Just call if you need anything.

“I will thank you.”

Lorne headed out the door, closing it behind him. Buffy lay on the bed, and began crying uncontrollably, until she finally fell asleep.

She woke up a few hours later, came down the stairs, and heard all the girls in the dining room eating and chatting up a storm. She wanted to be alone, and headed out to the garden.

As she sat down on a bench, a cold breeze suddenly blew up; it felt like it went right through her. She gasped for air, but that familiar feeling came over her again. Something was different. A familiar aroma filled the air. She realized it was Spike’s cologne.

“Spike?” She sat up. Again, she felt the cold chill. “Spike!”

“Buffy?” She turned around thinking it was Spike.

“Spike?” Then she realized it was Angel. “Oh, it’s you.”

Angel scoffed, “Sorry I'm not Spike, where is he anyway?” Of all the people in the world, or in Sunnydale, she wanted Spike. Why can't she return to me? He thought. We were in love once weren't we?

“He’s gone.” A sadness rose in her voice.

“He left you?” “That idiot, I knew he would do something like this to you, I just knew it!”

”Shut up! He didn't leave me. He’s gone. Ya know, dead.” She said, aggravated. Spike wouldn't leave me. He loved me. “He died to protect me, the new slayers, and the whole freakin world. He did a good and honorable thing.”

Angel was shocked. He didn't know quite what to say! “I'm, I'm sorry. I didn't realize he meant that much to you.”

“I told you he did the night before.”

“I guess...I guess I didn't believe it. I'm sorry. Why don't you sit down, and tell me what happened!”

Buffy complied and explained everything that happened. Angel was very stunned. He didn’t really believe that Spike had it in him. He was even more surprised about all the slayers running around the world, but he was glad that everything turned out fine...well most of it anyway.

“I’m really sorry about Spike.”

“Thank you, that means a lot to me.” She started to soften around Angel. She did love Angel, but he was her past, and she wanted to remain friends now. Buffy knew she could confide in Angel anytime, but he wasn’t Spike. She still felt Spike’s presence around and that comforted her.

Almost as if he was watching her from where ever he was.

Buffy didn’t understand it. She wanted more than anything to be in his arms, to make love to him not angry sex like before when they were together. She wanted it more than anything, but it would never be.

She blamed herself for waiting to long. If she’d just told him the night they held one another, maybe things would have turned out differently. She stood up, and started to cry. Angel felt a ping in his heart. The woman he loved was in pain, and the only thing he could do is be a friend. Lend her his shoulder to cry on, listen, and give her advice when she needs it most.

He squeezed her hand gently, letting her know he was there for her. She turned and smiled at him. “I think I’m going to go back to my room.”

“Oh ok, anything you need, just let me know.”

She bent down and kissed Angel on his forehead. This was a thank you to him for listening to her, helping her and being a good friend. She then turned and went back inside the hotel. Dawn came running out of the dining room.

“There you are; you’re missing this great food that Lorne ordered us from some fancy restaurant. There’s some chicken stuff, salad, beef, you name it; it’s all there.”

“I’m not really hungry. I’m gonna go back up to my room.”

Dawn saw how sad her sister was, and wanted to do what she could for her. Just listening and offering her shoulder to cry on was all she could do for her right now.

“Buffy, wait! Sit.”

As they sat down together on a nearby sofa, Dawn gave Buffy a big hug. Buffy responded and held her tightly, as if it was the first time they’d seen each other in a long, long, time. It felt good to have her sister there; she missed the bond they had, even though Dawn could be a pain in the ass.

“Thank you, Dawn, I really needed that.”

“That’s what sisters are for.”

”What is it, that you need?”

“I just wanted to sit and hang with you for while”. “Well, what I really wanted to do is make sure you were doing ok”. “I know you’re hurting because Spike...” Dawn trailed off, knowing that was a touchy subject for her sister. “I just wanted you to know that I am here and any time you needed a shoulder to cry on, I’m there”. “You’re my sister, Buffy and I love you, and I want you to be happy.” “I just don’t want you do to this alone, you’ve got us... Even Angel!”

“I know”. “I know and I really appreciate it, but I would really like to be alone right now.” Buffy hugged Dawn again, she held her for a few moments, and then went back up to her room. Dawn just watched until Buffy was gone.

“Spike, I wish you were here”, Dawn said, aloud. “I hate to see her like this, it just breaks my heart.” She began to cry. A few moments later, she composed herself and went back into the dining room with everyone else.

Spike was there. He had been with them every step of the way, ever since Buffy passed out in the middle of the road, where Sunnydale used to be.

“Aww nibblet, I’m here, I just wish I could be there instead of in my spirit form or what ever form I’m in”. “Bloody ‘ell, there’s the poofter, Angel.”

Angel had walked back into the hotel. He stopped abruptly, looked around, sensing something else in the room. “Spike? “Nah, it couldn’t be”.

”Nah, there’s no one there.”

“What are you talking about?” Wesley asked, coming from the office.

“I don’t know, I get this strange feeling someone’s here, watching, I sense it.”

“That’s odd.” Wes said, thinking. “Maybe it’s a ghost of someone who died here in the hotel”?

“No, this is different; I’ve never felt this before”. “It’s like I know this and I can’t explain it.”

Spike had a good laugh at Angel’s expense. “Boy if he could see me now, the poofter would be scared out of his gourd”.

“Maybe Willow can whip up a revealing spell.” Wes suggested.

“It’s probably nothing; I’m probably making more of it, than it really is.”

“If you think it’s something, it must be something.”

“Don’t worry about it, I’m not going to.”

“All right.” Wesley said, unconvinced before heading back to the office.

Angel walked away, but Wes started to think about it and realized that something like this happened before, so he went right to his books and began looking through them. Willow came in shortly thereafter.

“What’cha doing?”

“Something Angel said got me curious.”

“Oh really?” “What did he say?” Willow inquired.

“Angel said there was a strange, but yet familiar presence here.”

“I haven’t heard of that before.”

“Here,” He handed a book to her. “See what you can find about spirits.”

“Oooh, research, I love research.” Willow said, excitedly and Wesley gave her a perplexed look, she felt a bit embarrassed. “I guess...I guess we should...Yeah, we should really get to work.” She took the book and began looking through it.

About an hour later, they hadn’t come up with much. Just some stuff about spirits who roam the earth, because they have some unfinished business to do.

Wesley closed the book hastily, frustrated he said, “I know that there’s something about this...this situation, but, ahhh, that is frustrating”. “I can’t figure this out, I don’t have the proper research tools available... here,” “Maybe I saw this at
Wolfram and Hart.”

“I can whip up a revealing spell in a jiffy.”

Wesley didn’t object; he was the one that suggested it to Angel in the first place.

“All right, do you need anything?”

“Nope.” “I’ve got it covered.”

Meanwhile, Faith was still upstairs with Robin, tending to his wounds, as he was still refusing to go to the hospital.

“This is going to hurt me more than it’s going to hurt you!”

“Oh yeah?” He said as she punched him in the face, knocking him out cold. She hurled him over her shoulder and trudged down the stairs. She placed him on chair and hurried into the dining hall. Moving over to Gunn, she said,

“Hey Gunn, can you help me with Robin. He needs to go the hospital, and I need someone to take us.”

“Sure no problem. I’ll just grab the keys to Angel’s car; I don’t think he’ll mind.” He ran to into the lobby and behind the front desk was a set of Angel’s keys, grabbed them and helped Faith take Robin to the car. They headed off to the hospital.

****
Buffy shut her door and leaned against it. She was sure that she felt Spike’s presence down in the garden. Now she was sure that she felt it back in Sunnydale as well.

How was that possible? He died. No! No! Stop thinking that way.

She crossed to the balcony, opening the doors, and stepping out, inhaling the fresh air.

Looking up, Buffy noticed the moon; it was full like in her dream. She closed her eyes, and felt arms wrap around her. It was a familiar touch to her, and leaned against him; she wanted to feel his touch one more time.

“I’m here, baby,” he whispered in her ear.

She suddenly turned around, but there was no one there. “How is this possible?”

How was it she could feel and hear him?

“No, this not is impossible, you’re not here.” She backed away, looking around. “This is all in my head.”

“Buffy, it’s really me, it’s me, love.”

“No, it can’t be, Spike died.” He touched her again, and she shuddered at his touch. Her body began to tingle, tingle like it had always done when he touched her. No one could ever do that to her. Not even Angel. She then realized it was really Spike.

“Spike?” Tears sprang from her eyes hoping that she’d see him. “How are you...here?”

“All I know is that I heard every word you said, while you were saying goodbye to me, and I just had to touch you one last time.” “Some how I ended up, I don’t know, I ended up within you, I wasn’t able to leave until the garden.”

“I didn’t see anything, but I... I felt you... your presence.”

“I didn’t want to scare you and that Nancy boy comes out and I didn’t have a chance.”

“I’m just glad that you’re here now... maybe... maybe Willow can bring you back?”

“I don’t know that I can.” He caressed her cheek. “I want to; I want to be with you...Always!”

“Always!” Though she could not see him, she felt him caress her cheek. It made her weak in the knees. “Spike, I wish I could see you!” “I want to be able to look into your eyes.”

***
Downstairs, Willow moved out into the lobby to begin her spell. Wesley leaned in the doorway and just watched Willow as the slayers, Dawn, Giles, Kennedy, Lorne, and Xander came out about the same time.

Willow began to chant in some language only Giles and Wesley understood. When the spell was complete, she turned around, noticed she had a small audience, some of whom had no clue what she was doing. “Just a revelation spell.”

“What kind revelation?” Giles asked, curiously.

Wes turned to Giles; “We may have some type of spirit on our hands.

“Ah,” Giles shook his head, understanding. He couldn’t believe how much Wes had changed in such a small amount of time.

I think I like this Wesley better that the stuffy one that first came to Sunnydale.

“Oh, I had a lady come into Caritas one day, when I still had it, thought she was being haunted by her dead lover.” “As it turned out, he got caught up in some magical doohickey thingy.” “I took her to this powerful witch and she did some spell and viola he was alive once again.” “It’s some tricky thing; I don’t even understand it myself.” Lorne chimed in.

“Let’s hope it works,” Kennedy added, walking over to Willow and slipped an arm round her lover’s waist.

Angel walked in, looked at everyone in surprise, “What’s going on?”

“Angel, well, Willow preformed a revelation spell,” Wes replied.

“Oh.” Angel was not pleased. He didn’t know what sort of spirits would show up, that they’d need to take care of. He wasn’t ready to face off with Spike, even if it turned out to be him.

“Before I forget, Gunn called, he and Faith took Robin to the hospital.” “It seems that they’ll be there all night.”

When Spike suddenly stepped back, Buffy began to get worried when she didn’t feel him; she couldn’t see what was going on either, which was making her even more nervous. He began screaming.

“Spike!” Buffy said, alarmed. “What’s wrong?”

The pain was more than he could stand. “AHHHHH! This is worse than that bloody chip in my head.” He ground his teeth as the pain rushed over him repeatedly. “Ah, bloody hell; this is just ahhhh, hurts like fucking hell.”

Spike started to slowly appear before Buffy. “How?” “How is this happening?” Buffy wondered. “Of course! It’s Willow!”

“Red?” “Well, how the bloody hell did she find out?”

“I don’t know. It doesn’t matter now, you’re back.” You’re back, you’re back!!!

“Well,” Spike looked down and smiled, “Not all of me.” He grabbed his head, “Damn, this
fucking hurts. AHHHHH” He screamed in agony once again.

***
Everyone downstairs turned when they heard the cries come from upstairs. Angel took off upstairs, leaving everyone wondering what was going on.

“Spike? Spike?” There was silence. Buffy was starting to worry. She didn’t feel Spike’s essence anywhere. She began to feel frantic and lonely. She called out to him again, but there was no one else in the room. She was alone, once again.

A knock came at the door, startling Buffy. She turned towards it.

“Yes?”

“Buffy? Are you ok?”

She crossed the room to the door and opened it.

“Buffy, are you ok?” Angel asked, once again.

She looked him and began crying. He wrapped his arms around her.

“I’m here, its ok.”

He walked her over to the sofa nearby and they both sat down.

“What happened up here?” Wiping her tears away.

“Spike.” “He was here!” “He started to form in front of me, and then he was…gone.”

“Willow’s spell must have backfired, maybe had some consequences.”

She pushed him back and between sobs said, “Not helping.”

“I’m sorry.” Angel apologized.

Willow arrived before Angel could say any more. “Buffy, is...are you...ok?”

Rising up, Buffy went to Willow. She could tell that Willow was feeling a little guilty, Willow didn’t know Buffy knew. It was a simple restoration spell. Something else happened, but what, she had no clue. Willow thought that Buffy was going to be upset with her, so she braced herself. “I’m sorry. I mean, I didn’t, I wasn’t trying to...”

Buffy interrupted Willow by putting her hand up, “Will, its ok. I’m not mad. I just wish it had worked.

“Can you tell me what happened?”

“He started to form, and it was really painful for him, and then he just...Vanished.”

Hmm, that spell should have worked, it should have, Willow told herself. “Buffy that should have worked.” “I...I don’t understand why it didn’t.”

Angel got up and went to Buffy and Willow. “Maybe it wasn’t your spell.” “Maybe there’s something higher at work here.”

“You really think that?” Willow asked for the reassurance.

“I don’t know, not much to go on.” Angel shrugged.

Buffy looked to Angel and then to Willow, “We’re not gonna sit here and wait for him to return, we’re gonna bring him back.”

“What...what if we can’t?” Willow stammered.

“She’s right Buffy, what if we can’t?” Angel reiterated Willow’s question.

Buffy stormed out, calling back to them, “I’m not gonna let that happen.”

To be continued...
Chapter 2 by Magan
A Brand New Day

Author: Magan

Disclaimer: No characters are mine.

Updated June 19, 2004
****
Spike appeared, fully, in a room he’d never seen before. He hurriedly scanned the room, wondering where the hell he was at. He finally stopped, and looked down a long hallway over to his right and to his left there were stairs that lead to a door way.

Spike was tempted to just leave, until he caught sight of a figure walking towards him. Curiously, he watched the person getting closer. He couldn’t quite tell who the person was, but to him it looked like... no! That can’t be. She’s…she’s dead! Why would she be here?

As the person moved closer, Spike cried out, “It can’t be you... you’re dead!”

“Spike, how good it is to see you.”

He gave her a once over, noticing that she was in a nice floral dress, and her honey blonde hair was up in a neat ponytail.

“What the bloody hell am I doing here?” Spike finally asked.

“You’ve done a great thing, Spike… You saved the world… And as a reward I am here to offer you life after…death, so to speak.” She smiled.

“Why is it the bloody dead don’t make sense?”

Spike was perplexed at this whole situation. He waited for her to continue.

“Plan and simple, I am offering you life.”

“Life... as a human?” Spike asked for confirmation. He needed to be sure he heard what he heard.

“Yes.”

“Oh, man,” He turned away, shocked.. “I only got my soul back recently.”

What it would be like to be human again? I don’t know, I’ve been a vampire for so long, that’s all I know.

“This is all I know. I don’t know anything else. I’ve been a vampire for over a hundred years. What else could I possibly be?”

“I know, but you deserve this, William, more than Angel does. You are the only vampire who sought out your soul, which was unheard of. You should be proud of that, and yourself.”

”I did what I thought was right. I saved the world. S’not like wanted to leave her. I loved her. There was no other choice. I did what was right, unlike that poofter Angel.” Spike rolled his eyes. “He didn’t know what he had, and he lost her, because he couldn’t handle it. What a freakin baby.”

A tear streaked down his face and he turned around not wanting her to see him cry, “I want... I want to be the man... THE MAN that Buffy loves, not the vampire.”

“But don’t you see, she does love you, the vampire and the man. All of you! She loves with her whole heart. You made her whole again, after she from the dead. You made her believe in love again, when she didn’t think it was possible…She may have realized it too late, but she’s always loved you.”

“What do I do? Live…again? Or do I just come back as a vampire?”

He wasn’t so much as asking her what he should do, he was seeking guidance. This was a big decision for him.

“That is a decision I cannot make for you, you have to do what’s right for you... What’s you’re heart is telling you to do?”

“I want to be with Buffy. It doesn’t matter what I come back to her as, as long as I can be with her. To be human again, I just don’t know.”

“I tell you what, I can make a deal with you.”

This raised Spike’s eyebrow in interest, “Yeah?”

“I can make you human for one day, and one day only!”

Spike was speechless for the first time in a long time. He didn’t quite know what to say.

“Um, wow, that’s just so wow.”

What kind of response is that you, git? He chastised himself internally.

“I know it’s overwhelming, but it’s one time deal. Take it or leave.”

“I’ll take it, but I have few conditions of my own.”
She smiled. “I figured you would. What are you’re requests?”

“I want to be with her alone, with no interruptions. I don’t want them to know I’m even there, until I’m ready for them to know. Especially Angel, he’ll ruin everything like he always bloody does.” Spike rolled his eyes at the mere mention of Angel.

“You are human for one day, and at the end of that day, you will have to decide if you want to be human or vampire. If you decide to be a vampire again, then this day, will cease to exist. Only you will remember being human.”

Spike smiled. This was going to be a good day. “Thank you.”

“You’re welcome.”

Turning to leave, he began to walk up the stairs, duster swinging to one side dramatically, and he stopped, turning her around, facing her. “Why her? Why Tara?” He finally asked.

“We knew that you wouldn’t accept this deal with any other person.”

“Huh, they’re right.” He said, smiling. “I probably wouldn’t have.”

Spike turned on his heals, heading up the stairs, duster billowing behind him. Opening the door, he half-expected to walk into sunshine, but he ended up walking into Buffy’s room at the Hyperion. He looked around, stunned.

Oh my god, he thought. This is where I came back to her.

The first thing he saw was Buffy basking in the moonlight. Spike watched Buffy, and hadn’t realized he’d been breathing in time along with her. He forgotten what it was like to breathe, and when saw her, standing there, she was so lovely, and so beautiful it had astounded him. He practically had to tell himself to breath.

Spike looked down the hallway at both ends, making sure, it was clear, making sure that the powers made good on their deal, and when he was sure that they did, he leaned in the doorway, watching her once again. He knew she was thinking about the previous night.

He couldn’t stand it anymore. He had to have her in his arms. He walked into the room, closed the door softly, behind him. He crossed over to Buffy and wrapped his arms around her. She leaned into him thinking, he was apart of some dream she was having.

“I’m here, baby.” He whispered into her ear.

She hurriedly turned around, half-expecting there to be no one there, but when she turned around, Spike was there. She wasn’t sure if it was real or no. With a shaky hand, she reached out and touched him.

“Are you real?”

“I’m real, pet. S’not a dream.” He embraced her and held her tightly. She backed away slightly and looked into his deep piercing blue eyes with tears stinging her eyes.

“Are...Are you...”

“I am pure human, baby.”

“How is that...”

He quieted her with a kiss. She thought her knees were going to give out on her, but he held her up close to him. She missed his touch so much.

“Spike,” Buffy said, trying to catch her breath, after she broke the kiss.

“Yeah, baby?”

Spike was trying to catch his own breath.

This breathing thing, I need to get used too it.

“I...I...want to...do this right.”

“I wouldn’t have it any other way.”

Slinging her over his back, Spike took her to the bed. She giggled in her weak protests. Gently laying her down on the bed, they each proceeded to take every inch of clothing off each other. The clothes landed in heap on the floor.

Spike began to kiss every part on her imaginable, but she soon wanted more. She wanted him inside her, but he was not ready. He wanted to saver every minute.

Buffy looked at him with exasperated look, and he couldn’t help but want to kiss that mouth of hers, and did so. It was soft and gentle at first, but then it soon turned into hunger.

The thrill was more than she could handle. She began calling out his name. Before they realized it, their organisms hit them hard and fast.

“Wow,” Buffy breathed, as Spike rolled off her. “I never...wow, is all I can say. That was really beautiful, Spike.”

“I never wanna leave you again.” He kissed gently.

“Let’s agree to it now. Never leave each other.”

“Never.” He breathed. “I love you.”

“I love you, too.”

He held her, never wanting to let to.

The next morning, Buffy woke up, still in his arms; she quickly looked at him, just to see if he was real. She touched his chest, and he was breathing.

I knew it wasn’t dream. He’s really here. And he’s human. She smiled, watching him as he slept. His chest would rise and fall and he never realized that she was watching him.

The sun peeked through the windows, and he began to stir a little while later. She kissed him on the lips. He happily accepted and returned the kiss.

“Well, what do you want to do, today, Spike-y? You know, with you being human and all. We can go out during the day!” Buffy flashed him a bright smile.

“It’s been so long since I was able to just sit in the sun. I think that’s what I want to do!”

“We can do that, and we can do other things, too,” She smiled, mischievously.

“You minx.” He nuzzled her neck and she giggled.

****

Downstairs, Giles was rounding up the slayers, as Faith, Gunn, and Robin entered into the lobby. Robin was still a bit sore, but he was just glad that he hadn’t died. He didn’t want to stay in the hospital. He wanted to go back to the Hyperion. More importantly, he wanted to be with Faith, and she couldn’t deny him that.

He really liked Faith, and he didn’t want to mess that up, not for anything. Neither did she. Faith and Gunn carried Robin to a chair nearby, and he sat down gingerly.

“So, boss, what’s up?” Faith inquired looking over at Giles.

“Ah, yes, I was waiting for you two, to show up. I’ve been in contact with several of the watchers, that are left, and we’ve agreed that we need to get these girls to England right away. Willow and Kennedy have graciously accepted to gather up other slayers.”

Giles was long winded, but he had to get his point across and he saw that Faith was suddenly getting a little board. He took of his glasses, began cleaning them, and placed them back on his face. Faith wondered when he’d break that habit, and held back a giggle.

“The other watchers and I will be opening up a school for these girls in England.”

“Ah, so, you’d like me to gather up the other slayers, too?” Faith wondered.

“Yes, you and Robin.” Giles replied.

“Well, me, I’d be happy to do it, but you’d have to ask Robin.”

“Er um, yes, Robin, would you accompany Faith on her journey?”

“I’d be happy, too,” He said, smiling at Faith.

Giles stepped towards Faith, “Here’s where you’ll be going. We have mapped out everything for you two.”

Faith and Robin looked at the map, and realized that they had the eastern part of the US. Giles handed another map to Willow and Kennedy, and they had western part of the US.

“Faith, Robin, you’ll be leaving on a plane in about,” He paused looking at his watch. “In about an…hour. Fred had graciously parted with some clothing items for you girls to wear.” He handed Faith, Willow and Kennedy a bag of clothes. “Wes has done the same for you Robin.” He handed a bag off to Robin. “I’ve rented a car for you and Kennedy, Willow. It is outside waiting. Whenever you want to leave, you can leave.”

“Alrighty, then,” Willow smiled. Before she and Kennedy left, she wanted to say good-bye to Buffy. She didn’t know when she’d get back to seeing her best friend.

Xander finally spoke up, “What about me?”

“Yeah, me too? Andrew echoed.

“You two will be accompanying me to England. I have a job for each of you.” Giles replied. “Xander, since you have combative knowledge, you will be working with girls and strategizing with them. Andrew since you know a bit about magic’s, you’ll be working with the watchers, and learning about the various demons.”

“Does that mean...I’m...going to be…junior watcher?” He was excited, jumping up and down.

“Stop.” Giles said, quietly but unfortunately, Andrew didn’t stop, “ANDREW! STOP IT.”

Andrew stopped, looking sheepishly, “Sorry.”

Rolling his eyes, Giles took a deep breath. It was going to be along time before he was going to have time for himself.
“For right now, you’ll be working with them, not as a junior watcher, but as an assistant.”

Andrew’s dream had been dashed, but was happy not to be alone. Angel, Fred, Lorne and Wes had gone to Wolfram and Hart offices, as they were not needed at the Hyperion.

Willow wanted to check on Buffy, because she hadn’t heard from her all night. She was a little worried and decided to head up stairs, when something shocking happened. Buffy appeared at the top of the stairs... With Spike at her side.

No, that couldn’t possibly be Spike!! I must be dreaming.

“I...I...Buffy...I thought...what’s going on?” Willow finally managed to say.

“He’s come back...human,” Buffy stated matter-of-factly as they started to walk slowly down the steps.

“Hu...human?” Xander stuttered. “No, that’s impossible. No one could have survived that explosion.”

“I’m right here. I’m living, breathing human being.”

“No, that’s impossible,” Giles frowned, unable to come up with a better response. “There’s no possible way.”

Spike walked the rest of the way down the stairs, and right up to Giles. “Give it test, ole Rupert.” Spike smirked.

At first Giles was a little reluctant, but then he forced himself to touch Spike’s chest. Sure enough, Spike’s heart was beating and Spike was breathing.

Wes had come back a few minutes after Spike came down the stairs. He hid out of the way, so no one would see him and he listened in on their conversation.

“No...No...That is impossible... How can this be?” Giles was now uncertain of everything that he learned as a watcher, but one thing he knew for sure, no one could have possibly survived in that explosion.

“As far I knew, I died.” Spike responded to Giles’ thoughts.

Everything was a blur to him. That time he spent with Buffy that is something that he will remember for the rest of his un-life or life.

“The next thing I know, I’m in this bloody room. I have no freakin idea how I’d gotten there. I was ready to bolt, when I saw this figure coming down the long hallway. I couldn’t leave then. I had to know where I was and how the hell I was gonna get out.”

“What or who was the figure of?” Willow wondered.

“Red, it was…Tara,” Spike replied, softly.

“Ta...Ta...Tara.” Willow stuttered.

She hadn’t seen Tara since the day that she died. There were so many things she had to say, that she wanted to say, but never got a chance to. Never will get a chance to.

“The powers, as Tara, gave me a deal. Become human for one day, seeing if I want to be that way all the time, or become a vampire once again...I chose to be a human again and at the end of the day, I have to make a final choice, but I wanted to be with Buffy first before I made my decision.” Spike looked up at Buffy, who was coming downstairs to be at his side.

“You shanshued?” Wes said, under his breath, stepping out so that they’d hear him.

“What?” Giles asked, astounded.

“S’that what it’s called?” Spike wondered.

Willow wanted to know about Tara and she was getting annoyed when they had moved on to Shanshuing. She blurted out, “What does it have to do with Tara?”

Everyone stopped talking, looked at Willow, who was now embarrassed. She looked down at her feet before looking back up at Spike with her pleading eyes.

“I’m sorry, Red, it wasn’t really Tara. They used her form to offer me a deal.”

Willow had a look of disappointment on her face. She so wanted to see Tara one last time, just to make sure she didn’t blame her for all the things that happened afterwards.
Looking over at Willow, Kennedy knew that her lover was thinking about Tara. She understood that at some point, she may have to compete with the dead girl, but never dreamed it would be happening now. Kennedy decided she wasn’t gong to stick around to find out, and she grabbed the things she needed, and headed out the door, not looking back.

Xander gave Willow a nudge when he noticed Kennedy leaving.

“Go after her, Will.”

By the time that Willow looked up, the doors were swinging back and forth. Kennedy had already left.

“Will, go,” Buffy touched Willow’s hand. Willow smiled at Buffy weakly and went after her girlfriend. When Willow reached Kennedy, she stopped her by placed her hand on the young woman’s shoulder.

”Wait, please.” Willow pleaded.

Kennedy stopped but she didn’t turn around. She didn’t want Willow to know how much it was really affecting her.

“I’m sorry.” Willow turned her around. Kennedy was crying. Willow wiped the tears away. “You have to understand, I loved Tara, and I still do. I guess I always will, but I also love you. Tara is my past; you’re my present... and my future.”

Kennedy sniffed and smiled, and the young women hugged.

“Let’s get outta here,” Kennedy whispered a few moments later.

“I thought you’d never ask.” Willow kissed Kennedy. “I think we should let them know.”

Walking back inside hand in hand, Willow and Kennedy announced that they were leaving, and crossed over to Buffy and Spike, kissed them both on the cheek, and said, “See ya real soon.”

Willow smiled. “Love ya.”

“Love ya, too.” Buffy said to Willow.

With that, Willow and Kennedy were off to their destination and Buffy turned back towards Giles, who was still amazed at Spikes humanness. All Spike could do was smile.

Faith decided to speak up. It was getting a little quiet for her tastes, “We’re gonna need to bum a ride.”

Giles looked up at Faith. “Already taken care of, there should be a...” The cab driver entering into the lobby interrupted Giles. “A cab.”

“Who called for a cab?” The driver asked.

“I did,” Giles said walking towards the man. “Here’s enough to take them to the airport.” He handed the driver $100.00, which included the tip. Faith grabbed the bags and Gunn helped Robin to the cab. Before leaving, Faith went to Buffy.

“It’s been real, B.” Faith said, hugging Buffy.

“Right back at you,” Buffy replied.

Faith walked over to Wes a few minutes later.

“To bad Angel’s not here, I would have liked to have said goodbye.”

“I’ll be sure to pass on the message through.”

“Thanks Wes.”

“No problem. It was the least that I could do.”

“And thanks for bustin me out!” Faith quickly hugged Wes.

Faith was never one to give hugs, which surprised Wes, but happily returned the hug and she dashed for the door, so he wouldn’t see how much her leaving like this affected her.

“See ya,” She yelled.

Then Faith was gone.

“Of course, he’s shanshued.” Wes snapped his fingers, startling everyone as he walked down the stairs and into the office.

He grabbed his notes, and began looking through them, until he ran across Shanshuing. “Ah, yes, here it is.” He handed it to Giles. He looked at Spike and then back at Wes.

“Are you sure? Isn’t Angel supposed to...?” Giles stopped as Dawn walked up to Spike. Dawn didn’t say anything right away. She just stood there, silently, looking up at him.

“Nibblet?” Spike queried, waiting for her to answer.

Tears streamed down her face, and she hugged him without saying a word.

”S’ok,” He soothed. “It’s ok.”

“I’m sorry about the things I said before.” Dawn began, sobbing. “When you hurt Buffy, you hurt me and when she began to trust you, I began to trust you again. I am really sorry.” She hugged him tightly.

Spike was once her rock. The one she came to with all her problems. He seemed to understand her more than anyone else did. Dawn was glad to have him as friend.

“S’ok Nibblet. You didn’t really need to.” He said, stepping back, cupping her face with his hands.

“Yes, Yes I did. I was horrible to you, and you did a good thing.”

“Really, s’ok.” He kissed her forehead and hugged her once again.

Dawn smiled and then looked to Buffy. “I’m going with Giles to England. He thinks that I’ll be safer with him and the new slayers.”

“Oh, Dawnie, is that what you want?”

“Yes, I think so... Yes. That’s what I want.”

Giles moved closer to Buffy. “She’ll be ok. The girl’s will be ok. They’ll have their studies, as well as slayer training.”

“As long as you’re sure,” Buffy asked, again in a motherly tone.

“Yes, Buffy. I’m sure!”

“Ok, girls,” Giles began, “We’ll be leaving shortly. So what ever you’ve got, round it up.” He looked at Buffy. “Can I speak to you, alone?” When he said, alone he was glaring at Spike.

Oh great, what the hell is he gonna say to me. I don’t need another speech. She rolled her eyes and then responded, “I guess so, sure, Giles.”

Giles and Buffy went into the office to talk alone. If they began to argue, Spike was determined to go in and stop it. He was going to let Giles persuade her otherwise.

“Buffy,” he handed her tickets and a map. “I’d like for you to round up the slayers in the central part of the US.”

“Tell me, what you really brought me in here.” She took the ticket.

“Buffy, please, we need the slayers rounded up. I’ve out lined the areas that you’ll need to visit.” Buffy took the map and started to leave, but Giles grabbed her arm to turn her face him.

“Buffy, I’m really concerned. I don’t trust Spike. I don’t care if he is human.”

Buffy yanked her arm away.

“Haven’t we been through this already?” Buffy asked, harshly. “Don’t forget you and Robin tried to kill Spike. I haven’t forgotten. Spike is a good man. He’s a human now. He sought out his soul when he... He’s a good man.” Buffy repeated not wanting to relive that ordeal again. “He loves me and I love him. Can’t you just be happy for me?”

“No, Buffy I can’t.” Giles removed his glasses, cleaned them, and placed it back on his face. “I don’t trust him.”



“If you can’t trust him, you don’t trust me.” She stormed out of the office, walking over to Spike. “Let’s go.” She grabbed his hand, dragging him out and bumping into Gunn, who was on his way back inside.

“What was her problem?” Gunn asked, tersely.

“Nothing,” said Giles, snidely, coming out of the office. “Girls, lets get going. We’ve got a plane to catch and we’ve got to stand in those bloody lines.”

The girls, Giles, Xander, Dawn, Andrew, and Gunn all headed out the Van, that was given to them by Wolfram and Hart, the night before.

****
Gunn returned the van, after dropping them off at the airport, to Wolfram and Hart. He came back with Lorne and Fred. Angel had stayed behind. It was still daylight, and he had some work that needed to be done.

Spike and Buffy on the other hand, were in a nearby park, walking hand and hand, basking in the sunlight. Something he hadn’t done in over two hundred years. He found himself stopping and staring up at the sky, smiling. Buffy took being out in the sunlight for granted every day of her life, but this day, it meant so much more to her.

“I want everyday to be like this,” Buffy said looking up into Spike’s eyes.

“Me too, pet, me to.” He kissed her.

“What’cha thinking about?” She asked him.

“Just thinkin what beautiful day is,” Spike said, looking down at her, and then added, “And how beautiful you look in the sunshine.”

Buffy blushed at that and before she could say anymore, a black sedan pulled up, out stepped Fred. The couple had come to a stop and Spike dipped down for a kiss. Fred had noticed them kissing and decided she didn’t want to disturb them right away. When it became uncomfortable, she walked over to them, interrupting them.

“Um...Buffy, Spike.”

Embarrassed, Buffy turned around to see who it was.

“Oh, Fred. Hi. What did you want?”

Bashful Spike, wiped the lipstick away and looking everywhere else but Fred.
“Angel sent me over here with a gift for you.”

“What?” Spike asked, incredulously.

“Spike, shush.” Buffy said, putting a hand on his chest, to quiet him, then turned to Fred, and asked, “What is that he’s given to us?”

“He gave you that car over there.” Fred pointed to the black sedan parked at the curb. “There are some clothes in trunk and some money for the both of you in the glove compartment.”

“When did he have time to do this?” Buffy wondered, amazed.

Fred went on to explain every detail and Buffy Spike waited patiently until she was finished. They didn’t think she’d ever finish.

“Tell him thanks,” said Buffy, as Fred handed the keys over.

“No problem. That’s what we’re here for...Excuse me.”

Fred got into an SUV and it drove away. It had pulled up as they were speaking.

“Where should we go?” Buffy asked, curiously. “Because, I’m driving!”

Spike giggled.

“Oh...no...You don’t. I’ve seen how you drive! I’ll drive, thank you!”

He took the keys away from her, and she scoffed. He dipped in for another kiss and few moments later, broke the kiss, leaving her waiting more.

He smiled mischievously, walking over to the drivers’ side, opening the door, he added, “Let’s go!”

It took a few minutes for Buffy to collect her senses, and she headed for the car, opening the passenger side door, getting in. Spike did the same.

He put the key in the ignition, but he never started.

“What?” Buffy asked, wondering what was wrong.

“Angel.” He chuckled. “That’s mighty nice of the poofter. I’m just surprised that he went all out for us, especially since he hates me.”

“Well, I love you, and he knows that. He just wants me to be happy, and I am very happy.” She smiled and leaned to kiss him.
“Mmmmm.” Spike licked his lips.

“What are we waiting for?” Buffy smiled, seductively. “Let’s get the heck outta dodge.”

Spike finally started the car, and drove off. On their way out, they stopped by a gas station, grabbed some food and something to drink, so they wouldn’t need to stop later. They drove six hours out side of LA.

Spike turned down a deserted road, and drove about 5 miles, until they came across a deserted ma and pop motel. There were 12 cabins in a row, and off to the right of that was a big house, up the hill. It looked deserted as well, but Buffy thought it was eerily similar to the house from the Psycho movies. She didn’t want to take the chance that there could be a crazy old man living up there. Although, if need be, she could probably kick his ass, but it still freaked her out nonetheless.

“What do ya say? Stay here?” Spike asked, inquiringly, opening the door, and stepping outside.

Buffy shook her head, and stepped out of the car, waiting.

He walked over to a nearby cabin, Turning the knob, Spike was surprised it was unlocked. He walked inside, and the room was still furnished.

“This must be my lucky day,” He laughed, walking inside. “Hey Buffy, come here.”

He startled her. “What?”

“Come here, you’ve got to see this, the place is furnished and clean.”

Hmm, that is strange. She walked inside, and sure enough, it was.

“No chance at their being electric or running water?” She asked, hopeful.

“I don’t...” Spike flipped the switched and to their surprise, the lights came on. “Bloody hell, it worked.” He went into the bathroom, and tried the water. “Hah, what you know, the water works too!”

“That’s good!” said Buffy, sitting down on the bed. “Let’s hope Norman Bates doesn’t come back and charge us.” She giggled when Spike exited the bathroom.

“Norman who?” He asked, raising an eyebrow.

“Norman Bates. Ya know, from the movie Psycho... Don’t tell me you have never seen any of the movies? They’ve all been on TV.”

“The Alfred Hitchcock movie?”
“Yep, that’s the one.”

“Saw it the first time, when it came out.”

He crossed the room to Buffy with a mischievous grin on his lips. Knowing exactly what was on his mind; Buffy reached out for his hand, and pulled him closer to her, planting a tender, loving kiss on his lips. Before they realized it, they’d removed on all their clothes, which had been thrown about the room.

“God...I...Love...you.” Spike said between kisses and their lovemaking.

Sleep was overcoming them after awhile, and the couple had fallen asleep with Spike still inside of her.

A few hours had passed, and Buffy awoke, feeling refreshed. She rolled him over, and was on top of him. He woke up a few moments later, after he realized what she was up to.

“Buffy!” Spike smiled, knowingly.

She just giggled mounting him, and began their slow lovemaking. Up and down, Spike watched her above him. He tried touching her, but she pinned his arms above his head.

“Oh...so...we’re gonna...play it...that...way, huh?”

She kissed him on the mouth, fully, only stopping to breathe. Soon, she began to tire, and she rolled off him. Spike pulled her closed to him, and she laid her head on his chest, content and falling asleep once again.

Spike woke up a couple of hours later, and he watched her as she slept. He thought how beautiful she was, and that he never wanted to leave her arms. Not for any reason. Not even to go take a piss, he amused himself. Something he hadn’t done in a long time, and realized he really had to.

“Shit!” He whispered. “I’ve got to go!” He quickly, but quietly, slipped out of bed, and hurried to the toilet.

As Spike was taking a pee, he heard a scream outside. He hurried as fast as he could, and when he was finally finished, it was quieted down. Spike went out into the bedroom softly as to not wake Buffy, grabbing his pants that lay by his feet, and quickly put them on, heading outside.

Once outside, he looked around and saw nothing. Then the scream came from over by the house. He rushed up the stairs to the house, and to his surprise, there was a demon attacking an older woman on the steps.



“Oh shit.” Spike rushed over to her aid, trying his best to save the woman, but he didn’t have his vampire strength and was knocked twenty feet away, landing on his ass. It took him a few minutes to regain some semblance of where he was.

“Come on Spike; get your arse in gear!”

Rising to his feet, Spike ignored the pain and tried grabbing for a broken bottle nearby. It was so close, if Spike had landed another five feet, it surely would have killed him. He rose to his feet, and rushed at the demon, stabbing the broken bottle into the side of the demons neck. The demons blood squirted all over the place, until it finally fell to the ground, convulsing. A few moments later, the demon had died.

“Ma’am, are you ok?” Spike leaned down and helped the old woman up.

“Yes, thank you.” She noticed the blood coming from the cuts on his arms, his face and his chest. “Please come up to the house, let me tend to those wounds for you.”

Spike turned back to the cabin he and Buffy were sharing and then back to the older woman. “I...I...I better not. My girlfriend is back in the cabin, down there, if I’m not there, she’ll be worried.”

“Oh, you’re staying in one of my cabins, are you?” She asked, mock-seriously.

“I’m sorry ma’am, we thought they were abandoned. We are only going to stay for a little awhile. I have to be back in LA before morning.”

“Young man, don’t worry, I’m not going to charge you, besides you saved my life. Now, come on, it’ll only take me a few minutes to clean up those wounds.”

Once again, he turned back to the cabin. Spike wasn’t sure about leaving Buffy alone like that without any kind of note, but since it was only going to take a few moments, he thought she’ll be ok. She could take care of herself. She is the slayer. She is one of a millions of slayers. She’ll be fine. She’s strong.

Spike shook his head, and said, “All right,” and followed the women up to her house. She talked about him being the first person, she’d seen in months and that he was welcoming sight to see.

She opened the door to the big old Victorian house, and stepped aside so that he could enter. He looked up upon his entering the foyer. It was bigger than any house he’d been in, but it did give him the feeling of home and reminded him of the house he lived in with his mother. To the right there was a long winding stairway made of mahogany. To left was a doorway to what looked like a parlor to him and down the hallway, there were various other rooms, and the kitchen was straight down at the of hallway, where she told him to go. The old woman followed close behind Spike until they entered into the kitchen at the same time.

“Please, sit, here,” The old lady directed, pulling out a chair for Spike to sit in.

He graciously accepted, “Thank you!”

She then went over the cabinet, grabbed the first aid kit and then the peroxide, heading back over to him. She set the stuff on the table, and began taking care of his cuts.

When she put the peroxide on the wounds, he winced a little.

“There, there. It’ll be ok,” she soothed.

Spike smiled. All he could think about was Buffy waking up and he not being there. He hoped this woman would just hurry up. He didn’t want to miss one moment with Buffy.

“I’ll be done in a few minutes. Just hold on, I’ll have you fixed up in no time, and you can return to your girlfriend.”

Spike sighed deeply, and the old woman smiled. “Young love.” She put bandages where there were cuts, and then she was finished. “There you go, young man. What’s your name?”

“Um...William. My name is William.”

“A nice name, for a nice young man.”

“Thank you.”

“I bet you’re mother would be so proud.” Spike suddenly looked down; remembering his mother before and after sired her. “Oh dear, is it something I said?”

“No. No. It’s just...” What do I tell her? I can’t say I was a vampire and I bit my mother to give her a long life. “Um...she died a while ago. She died in a terrible way.”

“William, I am truly sorry. I didn’t mean to bring up the memory of your mother.”

”S’all right. I...I Just don’t talk about her that much s’all.”

“I’m sure she was a good mother. She’s looking down at you and is very proud of you. A wonderful man you’ve turned out to be.”

If only she really knew what a bad, rude man, I turned out to be.

“Thank you, ma’am, but, I must get back to my girlfriend.”
Rising to his feet, Spike smiled kindly at the old lady, and she let him to the front door. Spike quickly slipped out, heading back to the cabin. He didn’t care much about the pain he was in; he just wanted to be with Buffy.

Opening the door, Spike noticed Buffy wasn’t in bed, and felt a little panicked.

“Buffy!” He called out, heading towards the bathroom.

“I’m here.”

He stopped midway, feeling relieved she was ok. Walking out of the bathroom, Buffy was only in a towel, with her hair dripping wet. She leaned against the doorway, and said, flirtatiously, “Where did you go running off too?”

“I heard a scream and went to check it out.”

“I didn’t hear anything. Must have been zonked out,” Buffy said, noticing the scraps around his eyes, and all the bandages along his arms and his chest. She ran over to him, checking him from head to toe, “What happened?”

“Demon.”

“What? I thought that this place was deserted.”

“I guess we were wrong.” He sat down gingerly in a chair nearby.

“Oh my poor, Spike-y.”

Buffy kneeled down in front of him.

“S’all right, love, I’m fine.”

“No it’s not. You should have woken me up,” said Buffy, sternly.

He looked up at her with his piercing eyes, and she couldn’t help succumb to his charms.

“All right, but please just make sure you let me take care of the demon-y stuff. I can’t very well lose you, now can I?”

He smiled at her, “I don’t want to lose you either.” He dipped down, kissing on her the lips. When she broke the kiss to breath, she stood up, sitting in his lap, and wrapped her around his neck being very gentle.

“Good, now that it’s settled,” She kissed him, a little more forceful this time.

“Mmmm,” came Spike’s muffled response.
Picking her up, she and Spike were still kissing, and he carried her over to the bed, sitting her gentle down. Breaking the kiss, he looked down lasciviously at her, and without warning, he whipped the towel away from her body.

“Spike-y,” Buffy said, raising an eyebrow.

Smilingly impishly at her, he stripped quickly, wincing as he went, but that didn’t matter much to him as long as he was with his girl.

A few hours later, Buffy finally had fallen asleep, but Spike stayed awake, watching her sleep. His mind began to drift back to when they were alone together right before saved the world. He didn’t ever want to leave her, not like that again.

“Come on man, get yourself together. You can’t dwell on the past. You’ve got her here and now.”

Buffy began to stir, and he realized he was talking instead of thinking it. He looked over at the clock, and it was getting close to the time that they needed to be leaving soon. He had his answer. This is what he wanted. He knew that right from the start it just took him a little while to come to the realization.

The former vampire looked at Buffy, but he didn’t want to wake her, but he had to before, it was too late.

“Buffy, love, wake up.” He kissed her forehead gently. “It’s time to get up. We’ve got to get back to LA.”

She opened her eyes, and looked up into his and smiled. “Hello there.”

“Hi, yourself, princess.”

Spike dipped down to give her a quick peck on the cheek.

“I was having this great dream.”

“Oh yeah, what was it about?”

“You and me and we were in the future. I retired from slaying… We lived in a house with a white picket fence, and children running all around. I think it was a boy and girl.” Buffy put emphases on children, and felt content.

She wouldn’t mind having something like that with Spike in the future, but then she realized Spike was the settling down type, and they both looked one enough, laughing.

“That’s so not us.” Spike and Buffy said in unison.

“Sometimes dreams come true...We were really happy in the dream. I want to be that happy some day,” said an honest Buffy.

“I know, and we will be… soon.” He kissed her. “But, we’ve got to go before we miss my chance…our chance.” Spike told her, getting out of the bed, and putting on his pants.

Buffy sat up in bed, Spike was gone and she began to panic.

“Spike? Spike?” She called out, crying. “I can’t lose him again. Please don’t do this to me... Spike come back! Come BACK!”

To be continued.
Chapter 3 by Magan
A Brand New Day

Author: Magan

Disclaimer: None are mine.

Updated June 21, 2004

****

All Spike could here was Buffy’s cries. He looked around, unsure of where he was. He called out to her.

”I’m here, baby. Where are ya?”

Her cries soon faded away and Spike realized where he was; back to where he was to begin with, when they made him human.

“Bloody hell, ya couldn’t have asked first!” Spike said, lividly, looking upwards then rolling his eyes.

The Power that Be, posing as Tara, had been walking down the long hallway, and as she came closer, he had a look of sadness on his face.

“It’s not bloody time.”

“It’s been long enough, William. Have you made your choice?”

Spike nodded, “Yes, Yes, I have.”

“What will it be human or vampire?”

“Human.”

“You will be reward for all the good that you’ve done.”

“Thank you.”

“No, thank you,” She said, turning to leave, and headed back down the long hallway, then finally disappearing.

“That’s bloody it?” Spike asked, baffled.

Shrugging his shoulders, Spike quickly felt his body materializing back to the cabin. When he fully materialized, Spike saw Buffy curled up on the, blankets pulled up to her neck. He hadn’t realized how long he’d been gone.

“Oh baby! I am sorry! You musta cried yourself to sleep,” said Spike, crawling into bed, wrapping his arms around her. “Buffy.”

Opening her eyes slowly, Buffy thought she was dreaming.

“Spike? Is it really you?”

“Yes.”

He kissed her on top of her head. “I’m here.”

“I was worried sick, you were gone for a long time. I thought something happened to you, and I just couldn’t bear the thought I lost someone else that I loved.”

“I can see that!” He smiled, half-heartedly, and she playfully smacked him. “The freakin powers summoned me again.”

“What happened?” demanded Buffy, sitting up.

“My time was up,” Spike said, simply.

Buffy’s mind was racing with terrible thoughts. The one that she tried desperately to forget was that he wouldn’t be able to return.

“Your time? But…” Buffy began to speak, but was cut off by Spike.

“I’ve made my decision, Buffy.”

Oh god! Buffy thought frantically.

“And?”

Buffy really wanted to know, but it didn’t make a bit of difference, she loved him either way. She just hoped that he was staying put!

“I’m human still.” He said, straight faced.

“Really?”

“Guess your dream may just come true after all!” His lips formed into a grin.

Excitedly, Buffy wrapped her arms around Spike’s neck, pulling him closer to her, and planting tender, loving kiss on his lips. After several moments, she pulled away.

“Baby, what is it?” He asked panting, needing more of her contact.
Buffy realized that she still had worked to do as slayer, but Spike couldn’t help her do that now that he was human. She wouldn’t be able to protect him if he decided to accompany her, looking for the new slayers.

Spike sensed her hesitation. “Is this what you really want? Me as…human?”

“I love you in any form.” She smiled, and then changed the subject, “Y’know, I’m starving, how about you?”

Buffy didn’t want Spike to know what she was thinking and decided to keep it to herself. If he knew, it would hurt him to much, but she did not realize he was reading her like a book, and knew exactly what was on her mind.

“Love, please, don’t change the subject on me like that. I can read your look a book.”

Pulling away from him, Buffy slowly rose out of the bed putting one of Spike’s tee shirts on, distancing herself from him. She began to pace back and forth, wondering how she was going to tell him.

“You can’t protect me now that I’m human,” He said, sitting at the edge of the bed, fidgeting with his hands. “I’m human, not stuck on stupid.” Spike muttered a few moments later. He was more upset getting upset by the minute and wished she’d just be honest with him.

“Spike, let’s not discuss this now.”

Buffy stopped long enough to look into his eyes and see the pain she’d just caused.

“No, Buffy, I want to discuss this. I want to know that I didn’t just make the wrong bleeding decision.”

“Spike, I love you. Let’s not discuss this now.”

“This isn’t about whether we love each other or not. I am not some git that can’t take care of myself. I have been around. I think I can bloody well take care of myself.”

He picked up a lamp off the nightstand, and he through it against the wall in aggravation. Buffy stared at the broken shards on the floor before speaking.

“Spike, I’m sorry,” She said, walking over to him. “I…I’m just scared is all. I’m sorry I upset you. You made the right decision. We’re gonna be happy.” Just not right now, Buffy added silently to herself.

Somehow, Spike wasn’t so sure if she was being honest with him and thought it was best to change the subject at that moment. He needed to calm down before he did something else to frighten her. Taking a deep breath, he ventured off, changing the subject.

“You said you were hungry, right?”

“I’m starving!”

“Sure, where would you like to go?” He asked voice gravely.

A knock came at the door with a “Hello, William?”

“Who’s that?” Buffy looked to the door.

Spike went to the door, and looked out the window.

“It’s the ole woman from earlier.”

Spike swiftly opened the door and there stood the old woman from earlier, carrying a tray full of food. “I thought you’d need a hearty meal before you go back to LA.”

“Oh, thank you ma’am,” Spike said, kindly.

“Please call me June and you’re welcome, William.” She said, walking into the cabin. She noticed that Buffy was just in a tee shirt, and she knew it wasn’t her place to say about it. June set the tray on the bed, looking up at Buffy. “Hello.”

“Hi. I’m Buffy,” She greeted June in meekly voice, and very much embarrassed.

“Thank you, ma’am, I mean June. Thank you for the meal.” Spike said, kindheartedly.

“No problem. It was the least I could do for you two.”

June smiled, and hurried towards the door, turning before she left. “Thank you and don’t worry about paying for the cabin.”

“Are you sure?” Spike asked. “Cause I can pay!”

June dismissed the thought. “William, dear, you saved my life, it’s the least that I could do for you, in return.” She smiled once again, and said, “Bye, Bye.”

When she was gone, Spike closed the door.

“Wow! She must have been reading my mind. This is exactly what I wanted, too.” Buffy said, eagerly, sitting on the bed next to the try. “Burgers, fries, shakes, pie, sandwiches, chips; everything is here...I haven’t eaten this good in a long time…I’m famished.”

Spike couldn’t agree more. She’d lost a lot weight over the years, and was glad to see you was actually going to eat for a change. He soon realized he was famished and eyed the food. He was used to just eating human food, but it didn’t really matter right now, cause he was hungry. He sat on the bed next to Buffy, picking up a burger.

“MMMM, this is good,” Buffy said, in between bites.

Spike took a big bite off his burger, savoring every bite. “MMMM, you’re right, this is good!”

The couple finished every bite of food on the plate a little while later. Spike couldn’t believe how a little thing like Buffy could eat all that food. He was amazed with himself as well, all that he eaten. They were stuffed. They leaned back on the bed, and giggled. Within minutes, they’d fallen asleep.

The next morning, Buffy and Spike had the kicked tray onto the floor, luckily, nothing was broken, and Buffy and Spike lay sleeping in each other arms. The sun shone into the little room from the window, and it woke up Buffy first.

When she sat up, and stretched, Spike just turned over on his other side. She looked at the clock sitting on the nightstand.

”Wow, it’s after 9.” Buffy whispered, hopping out of bed, and grabbed the keys out of Spike’s jacket pocket, heading out to the car.

Opening the truck, she grabbed the bags, hurrying back inside, and gently closed the door behind her. She set one of the bags down and placed the other one on the bed lightly, opening it. Fortunately, it was clothes for her and in her size too.

“Oooh, these are so nice. Who ever picked these out have good taste, and they’re my size too.”

Buffy pulled out a summer dress and said to herself, “I’ll wear this.”

Buffy hardly wore dresses anymore, what with all the slayage she’d done over the years. She grabbed her unmentionables, and as she was about to close the bag, she noticed something sticking out of the pocket, and pulled it out, realizing it was a hair clip.

“They thought of everything.” She smiled, closing the bag, and headed into the bathroom.

A little while later, Spike rolled over, realizing that Buffy wasn’t next to him. Sitting up to stretch, he said yawning, “Wow, I don’t think I’ve slept that good in all my years.”

Rising out of the bed, he went into the bathroom. Buffy had been brushing her hair and was about to put her hair up with the clip, when Spike opened the door, expecting her to be in the shower.

“I like that dress on you, love.”

He leaned against the doorframe watching her. The light from mirror illuminated her figure.

She smiled at him in the mirror. “I know me too...I think we should be heading back to LA soon. There’s something’s that I need to run by Angel before I have to leave.”

Spike’s smile suddenly disappeared. “What?! I thought we’d discuss this.”

“We did,” She turned around. “Spike we will.”

Buffy quickly kissed him on the nose.

“I just need to check on something with Angel,” Buffy lied.

“Call him.”

“No, this is something I need to do this in person.”

“If you say so.” Spike said, snidely, and retreated to the main room.

Buffy sighed. She knew it was going to be hard leaving him, but she had no other choice.

Spike hated Angel with a passion and would do anything not to go back, but he knew Buffy and knew what to expect from her. Frustrated Spike, grabbed the suitcase off the floor and it opened up, and the contents fell out.

”FUCK!”

Taking a calming breath, he put everything back and grabbed himself a pair of jeans and a white tee shirt, heading back into the bathroom to take a shower. He didn’t even bother to look Buffy in the eye.

“Spike, please, let’s not fight.”

Ignoring her, he turned on the shower, removed his clothing, and stepped in, closing the curtain.

“Fine,” Buffy said, exasperated, heading back to the main room.

She grabbed her other clothes, putting them into the suitcase, and zipped it up. She then sat on the sofa, waiting for Spike to finish. A half-hour later, he came out of the bathroom refreshed, and seemed in a better mood.

“Spike.” Buffy ventured, hoping that he wouldn’t get upset.

“Yeah, pet.” He said putting on his boots.

“Are you still mad?”

“Not happy, but I’ll get over it,” Spike finished with his boots, and rose to his feet. “You ready?” He asked, putting his clothes into the suitcase, closing it. He then grabbed his duster, and picked up the suitcase, hauling it along.

“Yes, I suppose I am.” She rose to her feet, and they headed to the car together. Spike put the suitcases in the backseat while Buffy got into the passengers side, and then Spike got into the drivers side.

Prior to leaving, Spike turned to face Buffy and said, “I know what you’re planning, so you might as well be honest with me.”

“Spike, I…” She turned, facing the window.

“S’that so,” Spike said, starting the car, driving away.

The couple drove back to LA in silence.

They pulled up in front of the Hyperion, six hours later. Neither one had spoken a word to each other the way through. Buffy went inside, and Spike decided to go for walk, leaving the keys in the ignition.

Walking into the old hotel, Buffy headed over to the office, but unfortunately, Angel wasn’t there. In a huff, she turned to walk out, and Wesley popped up from being the desk.

“Oh, Buffy, I thought you were on your way to pick up the other slayers.”

“Hey Wes, I didn’t think anyone was here,” she said, turning around.

“I’m just gathering things up, to take to the new offices. Why are you here?”

“I need to speak to Angel.”

“He’s at the new offices.”

“Shoot, I need to speak to him before I leave.”

“You could call him.”

“Nah, this is something I need to do in person.”

“Ok, I’ll call him and let him know you’re coming.”

“Sure thanks.” She was heading out as Wesley picked up the phone to call Angel. She stopped and came back into the office. “Where is this new office?”

Wesley gave her the directions, “You can’t miss it. There’s a big sign that says Wolfram and Hart law firm in the front.” He stated the obvious.

“Ok thanks, by the way, will you tell Spike where I am?”

“No problem, I’ll let him know.”

Wesley picked up the phone and called Angel, letting him know that he should expect Buffy soon.

Buffy went to the car, grabbed Spike’s suitcase, and brought it back into the hotel.

“Wesley?” She called.

Wesley stepped out from the office. “Yes?”

“Here are Spike’s clothes, be sure that he gets it.”

“Um…I thought he was going with you,” Wes said, uncertain.

“Change of plans. Be sure that he gets these,” She said, turning and leaving the hotel.

“Ok.”

Wes grabbed the bags, taking them back into the office.

Buffy opened the car door and slipped in, driving to the new AI headquarters. It wasn’t more than ten minutes away, and before she realized it, she was in front of the building, parking. She headed inside, having bad a feeling. Things weren’t quite right with this whole set up, but she shrugged it off, and went through the front doors. Angel knew what was best, she reasoned.

“Oh...My...God!”

She looked up at the lobby. It was bigger than anything she’d ever seen, and wasn’t sure she was in the right place, until she saw the receptionist, and on the desk it said Welcome to Wolfram and Hart. She slowly walked up the receptionist.

“Hello?” The receptionist greeted her.

“Hi, Buffy Summers, to see Angel.”

“Do you have an appointment?”

“No, but he’s expecting me.”

“I’m sorry Miss, but you can’t see Mr. Angel without an appointment.”

Buffy rolled her eyes. “Just call Mr. Angel. He’s expecting me,” she placed an emphasis on the word Mister.

The receptionist picked up the receiver, dialing a number, and after a few moments of hushed talking, she hung up the phone. “Mr. Angel is in a meeting and will be available in a few minutes. If you’d have a seat over in the lobby area, he’ll be right with you.” She gestured over to the left.

Walking over to the lobby area, Buffy looked around and then sat down. She picked up the latest ‘People’ magazine and flipped through it. After awhile, Buffy looked up at the clock on the wall, waiting for Angel. It was fifteen minutes before she heard anything.

The receptionist comes over to Buffy, informed her that Angel was busy, but she could to go up to his office to wait. “Finally,” Buffy said, with a roll of her eyes.

“James, will show you up to Mr. Angel’s office.” She motioned for a tall dark haired man standing over by the desk. He rushed over to the women. “James, please show Ms. Summers to Mr. Angel’s office.”

“Ms. Summers, please follow me.” Buffy followed James to the elevator.

While in the elevator, Buffy began getting that feeling again. She looked at James and then around the elevator, evaluating the situation. She couldn’t place what it was, but before she could say anything, ‘Ding’ the elevator stopped at the 13th floor.

Hmmm, 13th floor, something about that doesn’t seem right, she thought. Seems evil to me, but Angel knows what he is doing and cannot question him on it.

James stepped out of the elevator, “This way, Ms. Summers.” He turned to the right, and headed down the hallway. Almost immediately, they were in front of Angel’s office. James knocked on it three times, letting Angel know they’ve arrived.

“Yes?”

James opened the door, stepped aside for Buffy to enter into the office and she noticed the large picture window opened.

“Angel, what’s wrong with this picture?” Buffy asked, pointing to the window. “Shouldn’t you be a pile of dust right about now?”


“Oh, that?” Angel turned towards the window. “It’s protected with special layers to block out the harmful rays.”

“Ah. I see.” Buffy sat down on a chair in front of Angel’s desk before he could say ‘make your self comfortable’.

“Make your self comfortable,” Angel said, sitting back down. “I thought you left with Spike.”

“We just drove a little outside of LA, and stayed at this motel over night…Spike had to be back to LA, but these powers people teleported him somewhere, and he’s still human, and will be for the rest of his life. Anymore questions?”

“Oh,” Angel was all could say.

He felt betrayed. That was his Shanshu, not Spike’s. Damn it, it’s not Spike’s. “Why are you here?”

“I can’t take Spike with me.”

“Why?”

“I can’t protect him now that he’s human.”

“So, what am I supposed to do about it?”

“Give him a job or something... I don’t know, just keep an eye on him while I’m gone. Give him a place to stay. I’ll call from time to time. Please just do this... for me.”

Angel rose out of his chair, and stood in front of his window, looking out at the city. “Why? He can take care of himself.”

“No questions. Just do this. I need to know he’ll be safe!” She went over to Angel. “If I ever meant anything to you, just please do this for me.”

He turned to face her. “He really means this much to you?” Buffy turned away and sighed. “All right! I’ll do it for you, BUT I’m not going to like.”

“I don’t care, just do it, or you’ll have me to answer to...If something happens to him, you’ll meet the pointy end of a stake! Got it?”

“All right Buffy. I’ll do it.”

“Thank you. He’s probably at the Hyperion right now.”

“It might come better from you. He’ll never believe me.”

“I can’t tell him face to face.” She felt the tears welt up in her eyes.

“Write it in a letter, then.” Angel suggested.

He went over to his desk, and opened a draw. Buffy followed him, wondering what he was up do. He handed her a pen and a pad of paper. She graciously accepted it. She sat down and began writing a “Dear Spike” letter.

Angel paced back and forth waiting. He was actually glad that Spike would be out of her life. Maybe then, she’d find someone who truly made her happy.

A little while later, she was done, handed the letter over to Angel, and he put the letter into an envelope. “I’ll be sure to give him, when I head back to the hotel.”

“Thank you Angel.” She kissed him on the cheek.

“What are you gonna do?” He asked putting the letting into his drawer.

“Round up the slayers and take them to England, I guess. Or go to Cleveland first and take care of that hellmouth.”

“That’s suicide Buffy. Not without Backup...Let me arrange for some back up for you.”

“It’s not like I won’t have backup, I’ll have the Slayers with me.”

“Those are young girls, Buffy. They don’t have adequate knowledge to fight.”

“I’ll teach them along the way. I’ve got to do this!”

“The hellmouth will be there... When you’ve rounded up the girls, take them to England, get the properly trained, and then take out the hellmouth.”

“I don’t know, maybe you’re right.

“I know I’m right. Besides, it’s not active anyway.”

“How do you know?”

He picked up a file from his desk and handed it over to Buffy. “I had someone do some research on it. No activity. If there is, I promise you’ll be the first one that I call.”

“How accurate is this?”

“Very,” he said in a hurt tone.
“The slightest thing and you’ll let me know?”

“Yes, Buffy, I’ll let you know.”

“All, right, I’ll round up the slayers, in the areas that Giles showed me, and I’ll go back to England. You make sure Spike is safe or else.”

“Yes, Buffy, you have my word.”

“Thanks.” She turned on her heels and walked out. He didn’t know if he’d ever see her again.

“See ya Buffy,” he said, after she left.

Buffy walked out of Wolfram and Hart and to her car. She wasn’t sure she was doing the right thing.

She got into the car and drove off, with tears in her eyes. She’d miss Spike more than anything, but she couldn’t protect him as a human. It was the worst time for her to leave, since they just got back together, and it would be a long time before they’d see each other again. She promised herself that she call every chance she got.

Soon she found herself driving by the Hyperion. She stopped for a few minutes.

“I’m so sorry to be doing this to you Spike. I hope you understand. I love you.”

Tears sprang from her eyes again and she quickly wiped them away, and drove off. Spike saw the car as he was rounded the corner.

“Buffy,” He called out to her, but she couldn’t hear him. She was gone. He thought that maybe she went to chat with Angel. He walked into the hotel lobby. Wesley was packing boxes still and was bringing one out just as Spike entered the lobby.

“Hey, where’d Buffy go?” Spike wondered, but knew the answer

“She went to speak with Angel. I’d imagine she’ll be back later.”

“Doubt she’ll be back!”

“Why do you say that?” Wesley set the box down by the steps before heading back into the office once again.

“She has this stupid notion I can’t protect myself,” Spike answered.

Wes didn’t know what Buffy was up to, but he figured Spike was right, Buffy wasn’t coming back.
“Spike, I don’t know what to tell you. Maybe Angel knows. I’m sure he’ll be back here in a little while, ya know.”

“Bugger that; tell me where the offices are.”

Wesley proceeded to tell Spike where the offices were located and what floor Angel’s office was on. When was finished, Spike bolted out of there.

He soon found his way to Wolfram and Hart. Walked right in and passed the receptionist, even though she protested. He went right up to Angel’s office, and burst in. Angel had been going over a few files that were passed to him shortly after Buffy left.

“Where’s she at?”

“Spike.” Angel stood up.

Spike went right up to Angel, grabbed the lapels of his jacket and shook him. “Where! The! Bleedin’! Hell! Is! Buffy?!”

“Spike, if you’d just let go, I’ll tell you.”

Spike let go and pushed Angel back; he fell back into his chair.

“Right then!” Spike stepped back, waiting.

Angel opened up his desk drawer, pulled out an envelope, and handed it to Spike. Spike tore it away from Angel, and opened it up.

“Dear William,

The time that we spent together was wonderful and it’s something that I’ll never forget. I am sorry to leave you like this but I can’t protect you while rounding up the slayers.”

Spike stopped and looked up at Angel, “Bloody hell, this is god damn Dear John letter.”

Angel couldn’t help but have some kind of compassion for Spike. He remembered the pain that Buffy had suffered, after he had gone to LA. He couldn’t image what it would be like if he were Spike. It would be too hard for him to have someone he loved leave him like that. Spike looked back down at the letter and began reading it once again.

“This isn’t me letting you go. I’ll always love you, William. I just need to do this one last thing. I need to finish being a slayer. I need to train these girls and take care of the hellmouth. Please understand. I am coming back for you when I’m done. No mistake about it, I will return. I will call every chance I get. I promise.

I love you, Buffy”

Spike had to sit down. His legs were about to give away. “She left but... but she says she’ll be back.”

“She’s just gotta do her thing. It may take awhile, but I believe she will be back for you. Face it man, you won, she loves you, not me.” Angel felt a ping in his heart, but he knew she didn’t love him anymore. He had to move on, and this was the best time as any!

Spike stood up. “This was never about winning, Angel, it was about loving Buffy. And I do love Buffy, she’s it for me.”

“I know this doesn’t mean anything, but she asked me to make sure you have a place to work and a place to stay. You interested?” Angel quickly changed the subject. He didn’t want to get into it with Spike, yet again, especially about Buffy.

Spike was shocked. He couldn’t believe that Angel was offering something so nice. He decided, against his better judgment, he’d take the offer. “What kind of job will I have?”

“We’ll figure something out.”

“Do I get an office?” Spike smirked.

“You’re pushin’ it!”

“Just checking!” Spike was still smirking.

Spike loved every minute of pushing Angel’s buttons. He missed Buffy, but he knew Angel was right. Buffy had to do this one last thing so they could be together. It just hurt him to much and he was more upset that she just couldn’t tell him to his face.

“This is gonna be a long bumpy ride!”

“Damn right, Peaches!” Spike smiled.

Angel gave Spike a dirty look. “Oh great!”

“I think this is the beginnings of a beautiful friendship.” Spike snickered leaving Angel’s office.

“Buffy, hurry the hell up, I don’t know how much of Spike I can stand.” He rolled his eyes, and sat back at his desk, shaking his head. He couldn’t believe he made a pact with the devil. He grabbed the file he was looking at and began to work once again.

TBC
Chapter 4 by Magan
Chapter 4
In the days since Buffy left California, Angel had resurrected the old Hyperion Hotel and offered Spike a job to look after it, which also gave him a place to live.

The former vampire had it restored to its former glory, and had become very popular in the six months that it was opened to the public. Movie stars that were in town for premieres stayed in the hotel and Spike had even rented out
the penthouse suites, making the mucho dinero.

Making their home at the old hotel along with Spike was Fred
and Gunn. Which made Spike feel like he belonged.

As he sat in his office, looking over the monthly budget, he heard his computer tell him he had mail. Spike stopped what he was doing, and quickly checked it out.

Clicking it opened, the blonde waited for the emailed to open up and to his delight, it was from the little bit. It was while in between when he last heard from her. Spike was beginning to think she’d forgotten about him, but he quickly dismissed that thought.

Dawn told him that she was excited about school and working at the watchers council part time. Everything in her life seemed to be going good, which made him very happy for her. Until he reached the end of the email, his smiled quickly faded.

‘Buffy isn’t happy unless she’s with you, Spike. I just wish you were here…with us…with Buffy. She needs you Spike. I can’t tell you what it is. It’s not my secret to tell. She should have been honest with you right from the beginning. I don’t know why she hasn’t.’

Spike abruptly shut the computer off and sat back in his chair, folding his hands in his lap and wondered what the hell she was talking about. He sat there for the longest time before he picked up the phone, dialing her cell.

“Dawn Summers,” Dawn picked up her phone a few moments later.

“Bit, just got the email. Wanna tell me what the hell you were talking about?”

He heard her sigh, and said, “Oh Spike, you…ah…caught me at a bad time. I’m really sorry. Xander and I tracking a rogue slayer, so call me later. Bye!” She hung up.

“Bloody hell,” he slammed the phone down on the cradle and pushed his chair away from the desk, stalking out.

“Mr. Spike,” the girl behind the counter called.
“I’m going out,” He gritted his teeth as he grabbed his keys and his cell. “Take messages. Don’t know how long I’ll be.”

“Ok, sir,” she said, as she watched him leave.

Spike walked up to his shiny black Desoto that was parked in the front of the hotel and got into it, starting the engine. He so missed his old Desoto. It had been with him through hell and back.

He was lucky that he’d actually gotten one such in good condition, thanks to Wesley. Wesley had pulled a few strings to get the car for Spike and he was grateful for it and they’d become good friends after that.

He drove away like a bat out of hell, driving to his favorite bar.

*****

Harmony walked into Angel’s office with a large manila envelope and dropped it on his desk. He hadn’t even noticed she walked in, until she spoke.

“Boss, your package is here.”

Angel looked up and smiled. She of course smiled back, thinking he was appreciating her.

“You can go now!”

“Oh,” she said blushing, turning to leave as Wesley walked in.

“Hey Angel, you wanted to see me?”

“Yeah, sit down, please,” Angel had gestured with his hand as Wesley took a seat.

Wesley watched Angel open up the large envelope and pull out its contents. As the former watcher waited, he noticed that the contents were pictures. Wondering what they were, Wesley leaned forward, trying to get a peak.

“Angel what is it?” Wes finally asked.

Angel passed the picture along to Wesley and he took them from Angel. As he looked through the pictures, Wesley was shocked to say the least and looked up at Angel.
“Why the pictures?”

Leaning back in his chair, Angel began to explain, “I hadn’t heard from Buffy since she left and…and I was worried. I thought that something…Well, I hired someone from the London law office and I had hired someone to track her for a few months, just to she was ok.”

“Are you going to show these to Spike?”

“I wasn’t planning on it, but I suppose you’re going to,” said Angel, leaning forward. “I guess it would come better from you.”

“Yeah,” was all Wesley could say.

Wesley wasn’t happy with his friend for invading Buffy’s privacy, when he very well have could have gassed the jet up and fly over there to England. Ever since Angel had taken over Wolfram and Hart, he’d changed. He took more risks then before and sometimes the innocents didn’t see so important to him. It was all about the money and the high life.

Yeah, they averted the weekly apocalypses, but the mission was lost. Even Gunn, Fred, and Lorne were succumbing to the whiles of the law firm. As Wesley is feeling the pull, he fights it every day.

Rising from the chair, Wesley walked out of the office, disgusted with Angel, and over to Harmony’s desk.
“Hey Wes, what can I do?” Harmony asked, turning in her chair to face him.

“Find out where Spike is and let me know.”

“Sure thing.”

The bookish bookwork walked back to his office ignoring the people that said ‘hello’ to him, and when he walked into the office, he closed the door behind him.

Crossing the room to his desk, he sat down, sliding the chair up to the desk, and carefully looked through the pictures once again, shaking his head, unsure of how to tell his friend.

Guess the best way is to show him, Wesley thought to himself as he sat back in his chair, staring at the top of photo of Dawn and Buffy shopping at the local mall.

A few moments later, Harmony buzzed him.

“Wesley…”

Pushing the intercom, he said, “Yes.”

“Sarah at Hyperion said he left about twenty minutes ago. She thinks he may have headed for bar he usually goes to.”

“Ok thanks,” Wes said, cutting her off, knowing exactly the bar, and then grabbed an empty folder from his desk, placing the photos in it. He rose from the chair and headed out to find Spike.

*****
Spike walked in ignoring the surroundings and headed to the bar, taking a seat in a huff.

“Whatdaya have?” The bar tender asked, leaning against the bar.

“Whisky and leave the bottle,” Spike said, looking down.
The bar tender placed a glass in front of Spike and poured him a generous amount, then setting the bottle next to him. He picked up the bottle and downed it and poured himself another.

Spike used to be able to hold his liquor well, but since becoming human it affected him differently. After awhile, he became so drunk; the bar tender cut him off. Before Spike could take his last drink, Wes stopped him.

“Don’t!” Wes said, holding Spike’s arm back.

“What do you want, mate?” Spike said, slurring his words.
Taking a seat next to Spike, Wes ordered them both coffee, and then spoke. “Heard about Buffy, did ya?”

“Through the bit, no less.” Spike turned to look at Wes. “Why did she not call me or email me, mail me, in these last 6 months?” He paused for a few moments. “She told me she loved me. Why did she leave me?”

“I don’t have an answer for that, that won’t hurt you Spike,” Wesley said what was on his mind. He looked down at the file he held in his hand. “Spike, I…have something here for you that might help ebb the pain.”

“What is it?” Spike asked, taking a drink of black coffee.
Wesley set the file in front of Spike and watched a myriad of emotions flash a crossed his friends face. He knew Spike was thinking the worst and felt the need to dismiss that thought quickly.

“It’s…not what you think, Spike.”

Spike hadn’t even realized he’d held his breath until he let it go and sighed. He was thinking that Buffy was dead, and he couldn’t go through that again. He sighed once more and opened the folder. To his surprise there were pictures of her and Dawn. Something was different with these pictures that he couldn’t quite figure out. Then he spotted what was different a few moments later.

“Bloody hell,” he looked up surprised. “Why the hell didn’t she tell me?” He had quickly sobered up upon seeing the pictures.

“Don’t know. Just found out about them.”

“Why are there pictures to begin with?”

“Angel got antsy and hired someone to take them.”

Spike had a perfectly good jab all set for his grandsire, but decided against saying it. It wasn’t important and it was a shock to him. He inwardly chucked at that.

“The jet is all set to go,” Wes said, breaking through Spike’s train of thought. “If you want to go now.”

“I bloody well do want to go,” Spike jumped off the stool and headed towards the door.

“Spike, wait, I’ll drive you to the airport.” Wes said, rising to his feet and heading towards Spike.

“Thanks mate, but there’s a few things I’d like to do before I leave for England.”

TBC
Chapter 5 by Magan
Chapter 5-

Before leaving for England, Spike headed back to the Hyperion in his Desoto, to pack. When he was finished, he went downstairs. The hotel was pretty busy this time of day and he spotted his friend through the throng of people.

As Spike stepped down off the last step, he waved at his friend. “Hey Wes.” He set his bag down, waiting for Wes.
Wes walked around a group of people to get to Spike.

“Spike,” nodded Wes. “I arranged it with Angel for you to get time off.” He paused for a moment. “In case you don’t happen to return.”

Could that really happen? Could Spike and Buffy really stay together in London? Would she still want him? Those were the questions going through his mind. As he pushed away
those thoughts, he said, “Thanks mate.” Spike extended his hand to shake Wes’. “’Preciate this. I was gonna make the call before I left.”

“Not a problem,” Wes shook Spike’s hand. “It’s worth the risk, isn’t it?”

“Hell yeah!” Spike smirked.

Smiling back, Wes said, “You’re limo is waiting!”
“You didn’t have to…Coulda taken a cab,” Said a shocked Spike.

“It’s Angel’s idea.” Angel’s unpredictability really annoyed Wes, but wasn’t going to question Angel about this. He was doing the right thing for a change.

“So the grand poof did this for me?” Chuckled Spike. “Who would have thought it?”

A moment of silence passed between the two friends. Spike was about to make a snarky gesture about his grand sire, but Wes told Spike, “You should really get going.”

“Yeah, you’re right.”

Picking up his bang Spike looked around once last time, hoping that this would be the last time he’d see the old hotel. He extended his hand to Wes once again, shaking his friend’s hand.

“Thanks again, Mate,” Spike said before leaving. He then walked out of the old hotel, beginning a new chapter in his life.

As he opened the door to the limo, he slid inside, making himself comfortable. He realized how excited he was and hoped that everything would work out. It was hard enough being away from her; it would be even harder for her to shut him out. He pushed that thought of his head and told the driver to drive to the airport.

****

When Spike arrived at the airport, he was detained, because of an engine malfunction on the plane. He waited in the first class lounge until another plane could be made available.

After an hour of waiting, Spike was getting antsy and decided to walk around. He found a gift shop, and headed inside. As he perused the items, he found a charm bracelet for Dawn and for Buffy he found a stuffed animal, resembling her stuff animal she lost in Sunnydale.

The former vampire stood there for a moment, imagining the moment that the couple would see each other.

Spike knocked on the door to Buffy’s place; she’d open the door and squeal in delight at seeing her lover.

“Spike! Oh my god, Spike. You’re here.” She said, jumping into his arms. “It’s really you!” She peppered his face with kisses. “It’s really you!”

He set her back down, and said, “Glad to see you to, pet.” He held out the stuff pig, and her face lit up.

“Mr. Gordo!” She brought her hands to her face in surprise. “Where ever did you find him?”

“Found him in an airport gift shop.”


Shaking his head, breaking that train of thought, he said, “Who the hell am I kidding. That ain’t gonna happen.”

Spike proceeded to the cashiers to pay for the items, but he stopped when something caught his eye. He picked it up, looking it over for several minutes and again he made his way to the cashiers, paying for the items. He headed back to the first class lounge with his purchases, and waited for the plane.

A half an hour later, he was on board, heading for London. He was definitely ready to see Buffy and the bit.

****

The plane pulled in a little after eight in the morning. Spike was so excited that he couldn’t sleep. There would be time to sleep later. He had to see Buffy first, even though he was nervous. He thought positively the way there. If he thought about the bad stuff, sooner or later, he start to believe it and he’d just be to scare to see Buffy now.

When the plane came to a stop, Spike exited it a few moments later. He headed to the luggage claim to claim his bag. When he found his bag, Spike went in search of a cab. He only had to wait a few moments and one pulled up. He slide inside and pulled out a piece of paper with her address on it.

“Twenty One Brighton Place, please,” Spike said, placing
the paper back in his pocket, and making himself comfortable.

The cab driver pulled away from the curb and headed towards the destination. He looked at Spike in the mirror and said, “Going to see your girl?”

“Yeah,” said Spike, vaguely. “Somethin’ like that.”
The rest of the drive was in silence and Spike watched scenery fly by him as he watched through the window. It had been a long time since he was last in England and it all brought back a lot of memories from his past, some good, some bad, but it was the past and that’s where it was going to stay. He couldn’t change the past, but decided that he was going to make new memories here with Buffy.

The cab pulled up in front of Twenty One Brighton Place and Spike hadn’t even realized it until the driver said, “We’re here, mate!”

“Oh right,” Spike said, grabbing his bag, and opening up the door, but stopped as he hesitated.

The driver made some kind of crude joke and Spike was about to make a snarky comment, when he saw Dawn walking by. She went through the gate to her property and disappeared into the house. She hadn’t even noticed Spike there and that scared him. He thought she’d forgotten all about him.

It had been awhile since he’d last seen her, but he thought her hair was longer and a light lighter, although he thought she looked better a brunette.

Despite the pictures, Dawn changed a lot since then and he wondered just how much Buffy had changed.

“Well, ya going?” The cabbie asked, breaking through Spike’s thoughts.

“Bloody hell, get off my back, you wanker.” He quickly exited the car, and threw the fair at the driver and slammed his door.

The driver sped off into the distance. Spike looked around the neighborhood. The houses were all lined up next to each other and all white with trees lined up along the side walk. He knew exactly where he was, the same type of neighborhood he lived in with his family. It made things just a little better for him.

Taking a deep breath, Spike made his way up to the gate, opened it, and stepped inside the fenced in area, closing the gate behind him. He made his way up to the door, ringing the door bell. A few minutes later, someone asked from behind the door, “Who is it?”

Buffy is that you? Oh god!

“It’s William,” he said, using his given name.

Buffy was shocked and wondered how he knew where she lived. She didn’t know what to say. She stood quietly, hugging herself. Dawn came in front the parlor and wondered why her sister was acting strange.

“Buffy, you ok?”

She walked closer to her sister and she noticed that her sister had turned white.

“Buffy are you ok? Is the…”Buffy cut Dawn off.

“I’m fine. Spike’s outside,” Buffy said, a few moments later, after take a few deep breaths.

Surprised, Dawn quickly opened the door, and Spike wasn’t there. Turning around, Dawn said, “I thought he was there?”

“He was, Dawn.”

Dawn stepped outside, looking around. She saw Spike headed towards the park nearby. She called out to him. He stopped and turned around.

“Bit?” He called.

She came running after him and leaped at him.

“It’s good to see you to, bit.” He held on to her.

A few moments later, he set her down.

“How’s big sis?”

“Well, um…”

“I know.”

“You do?” Dawn asked surprised.

“Yes, Angel sent someone to spy on you two and I saw the pictures yesterday, thanks to Wes.” Spike said and a few moments later. “He was the only one that had the decency to tell me.”

“I’m sorry Spike. We didn’t want to burden you with this.”
Spike stepped back, appalled that they would even think such a thing.

“Bloody hell, burden me? Why would you think that? You damn well know I’d want to be here for that! ‘Specially that!”

“I’m so sorry Spike! It’s what Buffy wanted.” Suddenly Dawn felt bad for Spike. She thought that they were doing the best thing. “I’m really sorry! I didn’t know that you’d want to be apart of it.”

A few moments passed in silence and Spike said, “S’ok bit, let’s just go up the house and see big sis.”

They walked hand and hand up to the house and inside. Buffy had been sitting on the steps, waiting anxiously to see Spike. She wondered what it would be like seeing him again. She was scare to tell him. Scratch that, she was just scared period. All that fear had disappeared when Spike walked through the door.

“Spike!” Buffy jumped up from the steps.

It all seemed like slow motion for the couple as they headed towards one another.

“Buffy!”

Finally, they were each others arms and they never wanted to let go. He held on to her for a long moment and then stepped back to see her, all of her.

“I missed you, ” Buffy said kissing him once again.

“I missed you too, love,” smiled Spike.

Spike pulled her back into another embrace, and Dawn shut the door behind her, and left the two along, heading upstairs. Buffy pulled away, and Spike looked at her again. He’d always thought she was beautiful, but this moment, she was even more beautiful. Effulgent was the word running through his mind. He could write poetry about this very moment, he thought, running his hand along her stomach.

Buffy smiled back at him brilliantly, and then said, come here, I want to show you something.” She pulled him upstairs and he dropped his bag on the floor, forgetting the gifts that he’d placed in it. He’d go anywhere on earth for her, just as long as he was with her.

TBC
Chapter 6 by Magan
Chapter 6-

As Spike was being pulled along up stairs, he noticed the pictures lining the walls. They were of Buffy, Dawn, Willow, Xander and Giles. All looking very happy, he thought.

When they rounded the stairs and began to go up a whole other set up stairs, Spike stopped, looking at portrait of Joyce. He smiled fondly, remembering how good she was to him and how mean she was to Angel.

Buffy turned to see what was holding up Spike, and realized he was looking at the portrait.

“Giles had it done as a gift for me and Dawn, when we moved into this house,” said Buffy, walking down the steps, and stood next to Spike, intertwining her fingers with his.

"It’s beautiful,” he turned towards Buffy. “Like mother like daughter!”

He smiled, lovingly. “How did you manage to get this house?” He asked a few moments later.

“Believe it or not, it’s one of my father’s houses,” began Buffy, softly. “When he found out we lost our house and I was pregnant, he gave us this house. We don’t have to pay a thing, either.”

“How did you manage that?” He asked as they continued on their way.

A few moments later, they turned right and into a bedroom. “This!” She stepped a side to show Spike.

When he asked the question, it never really occurred to Spike the reason why they got the house, until now.

All Spike said was, “Oh!”

It will probably the one and only time anyone would ever see Spike speechless, Buffy thought, smiling up at him, suppressing a giggle.

The wall had been painted with murals of different story book characters and on the left was a round crib with a pink lace canopy and the bedding was of the same story book characters on the wall. Straight a head from the doorway was a large bay window, with a window seat. The pillows were large and comfy and very inviting to sit. To the right of that a rocker and next to that an antique dresser with changing table and next to that was a large walk in closet full of baby clothing.

Spike walked over to the closet, and opened it, revealing all the baby clothes. He turned to look at Buffy.

“This is his way of making up for him not being there for us,” stated Buffy, walking over to Spike, and wrapping her arms around his waste.

”There’s not a thing here the baby doesn’t have,” Spike said, turning to face her.
“The baby doesn’t have its dad,” whispered Buffy, leaning up for a kiss.

“He or she has me!”

She stepped back, “Ooh, Feel.” She guided his hand to her stomach. “The baby kicked.”

Spike felt the baby kick and he smiled, kneeling to the floor.
Instantly he knew the baby was going to be a girl. He didn’t know how or why, but he knew. And it didn’t really matter, as long as he had this moment.

“Gonna be just like her mommy!”

“How do you know it’s gonna be a girl? I haven’t even decided if I want to find out.”

“Just like I like said,” he stood up, holding her hands. “Like mother like daughter.”

As they giggled, Dawn entered the nursery, “What’s so funny?”

“Nuthin,” said the former vampire. “Let’s say we go downstairs, I’ve got presents…for all three of you.”

*****
On the other side of London, Giles was reading up on the latest apocalypse when he come a crossed something very interesting. He walked over to his desk and sat down in his chair, as he continued to read the passage. When he was finished, he called Xander into his office.

A knock came at the door a few moments later, and then Xander entered.

“What’d you need, G-man?”

“Oh for heaven’s sake, Xander, call me Giles.” He huffed and then sighed as he then continued. “Xander read this passage here for me.” He pointed out to Xander as Xander took the book and began to read.

Looking up at Giles questioningly, Xander asked, “What are we going to do?”

Giles removed his already polished glasses and produced a hanky as he began to polish his already polished glasses. “I don’t know, Xander. It’s gonna be bad. We’re gonna need Faith and Willow as soon as possible. The sits aren’t nearly ready, but they’ll have to be. Go to Buffy and tell her. Calling her would just take to much time to explain.”

Xander hurried out of Giles office and out to the parking lot to his car, speeding to Buffy’s house.

****

Buffy, Dawn and Spike headed into the family room located off the kitchen. Before the girls moved into the house, Hank had it remolded mostly for the baby, which he added a family room off the kitchen. Prior to coming into the family room, Dawn had given him a quick tour.

Upstairs there was Buffy’s and Dawn’s room, each having a bathroom of their own. The other three bedrooms had been guest rooms, which they all shared a bathroom.

Downstairs and off to the right of the foyer a dinning room and off to the left a formal living room with an adjacent office. Down the hall before the kitchen was a hallway to the left, leading to the servant’s quarters.

As they made themselves comfortable on the large white sofa, he handed them their gifts and kept Buffy’s and the baby’s in the bag.

Opening up the box, Dawn squealed and hugged Spike.
“Oh Spike, thank you! It’s beautiful.”

“Glad you like it.” He said helping her put it on.
“Thank you again, Spike,” Dawn hugged him again. “I love the charm braclet.”

‘Welcome,” Spike told her as he reciprocated the hug.

Buffy opened hers a few moments later and was shocked to see the contents. “Oh my god, Spike…you found Mr. Gordo! How?” She leaned in and kissed him. “How did you find him?”
“That’s Mrs. Gordo,” Spike said, lightheartedly. “I wish I could have found Gordo for you, but I hope this will do.” He tilted his head, and smiled as he waited for her to answer.

The slayer watched Spike closely for a moment, savoring the way he looked in his black shirt and jeans. She missed being with him and didn’t know why she waited so long.

“I love it,” she said, a moment later, looking him directly in his blue eyes. If she looked long enough, she would could get lost within them. “Thank you!”

As Spike smiled, he picked up the bag, “There’s something else…”

Placing her hand within the bag, she pulled out a baby book and looked it over. It had little animals over it and said big letters, ‘Baby’s Book.’

“How did you know we needed that?” Buffy said, inquisitively. “It was the last thing we were planning on getting.”

“I just saw it and knew,” answered Spike, still smiling. “Is it ok?” He asked hesitantly.

“Oh yes, it’s perfect.”

Spike pulled out another little box and handed it to Buffy. Scratching her head in wonderment, Buffy looked up at Spike curiously.

“What is this?” She asked before opening the tiny box.
Before he could answer, the door bell rang and Buffy excused herself to answer it. When she returned Xander was with her.

“Spike!” Xander exclaimed, walking into the family room, and shaking Spike’s hand. “Good to see you.”

“Good to see you too, Xander,” Spike said, standing up, and returned the handshake.

“So…what brings you over here?” Buffy wondered, as she took a seat next to Spike who’d already sat back down.
“Um, well, Giles has some bad news and we wanted to tell you in person,” began Xander as he sat down in front of the couple.

“What is it?” Dawn asked, curiously, looking directly at Xander.

Everyone waited anxiously until Xander spoke again.

TBC
Chapter 7 by Magan
Chapter 7-
Xander hadn’t said anything for the last few minutes and Spike began to get antsy.

“Would you just get on with it?” Spike yelled.

Buffy glared at him. “Go on Xander.”

In response, Xander stalled a few minutes as he rubbed his forehead, debating how he should just tell him.

Just get it over with it. The longer they wait, the more they
are gonna wanna kill me, Xander thought as he got a little more comfortable. He had a feeling he was going to be there for quite awhile.

“Ok,” Xander scratched his head. “Your baby is in danger.”

“What do you mean, the baby is in danger?” Spike stood up, not liking the way Xander said the bad news.

“Calm down Spike,” Buffy said, looking up at him. “Sit down!”

He complied and motioned for Xander to continue in an exasperated way.

“I’m sorry. I know this is a bit of a shock. It was a shock to Giles and to me as well.”

“How do we prevent anything from happening?” questioned Buffy.

“This is where you’ll have to come in. You’re the only that can do this,” replied Xander.

“What?! No! She’s in no condition to even do this. I forbid this!” He looked over at Buffy, who was none to happy. “I’m not letting you do this, Buffy.”

Trouble in paradise, Dawn thought wryly. “Ok, let’s just calm down and here Xander out.”

Glaring at Spike, Buffy rose to her feet a few moments later, and headed out of the kitchen and up to her room. Her emotions were all over the place and she just didn’t want to have a confrontation with him right there. Spike followed a few moments later. When he arrived into her room, she was sitting on the bed. The time alone gave Buffy a few moments to collect herself.

“I’m sorry!” He said, closing the door behind him. “I just don’t want anything to happen to this baby or you.”

“Spike, I’m the slayer. Just because I’m pregnant doesn’t mean that changes things. If Giles needs me then I’m gonna be there for him. ‘Specially if it means saving our child.”
He crossed the room and sat down next to her.
“I see I can’t talk you out of this.”

“No,” She said firmly. “I’m not changing my mind.”

“Stubborn chit!” He muttered as he fidgeted with his hands. A few moments later, he turned towards her. “If you must do this, we do it together. We’re a family!” He cupped her chin and titled her head up towards his face, to get better look into her eyes. “We’re a family! You, me, and this baby… I’m not prepared to lose her or you.”

She smiled at him, and gave him a quick peck on the lips. “Do you trust me?”

“You know I do, but…” Buffy cut him off with another kiss.

“Trust me then.”

********

Buffy and Spike had come back down stairs, and headed right into the kitchen. Xander and Dawn stopped talking when the couple entered into the room.

“Don’t stop on our account,” Spike said acerbically as he followed Buffy to the sofa.

“Enough,” Buffy chastised as she sat back down on the sofa. “Sorry about flaking out earlier. My emotions are all over.”

“Understandable Buff,” said a comforting Xander.
It was quiet amongst the foursome and Dawn soon broke the ice.

“Xander was just telling me a little about what Giles found,” Dawn explained a few moments later.

“Why don’t you tell her, Dawnie? It might be better coming from you,” replied Xander, hesitantly.

She sure didn’t want to tell her sister the bad news. Not this. There had to be another way to tell Buffy and Spike their baby may die. Dawn quickly rose to her feet, pacing around.

”This is hard…” Dawn said, tears threatening to spill over. She couldn’t bear looking at Buffy when she told her the bad news. “The baby may die.”

Blindly grabbing for Spike’s hand, Buffy turned to look at him, tears also welling up in her eyes.

No! It can’t be! I can’t lose someone else that I love!”
“Are you sure about this Xander,” asked Spike, keeping himself calm.

Xander’s cell rang before he had a chance to respond to Spike’s question. He pulled out from his back pocket and answered. Buffy, Dawn and Spike waited, but it wasn’t patiently. Dawn still paced and Spike had wrapped his protective arms around Buffy, soothing her, letting her know that things would be ok for their baby. Xander shut the phone a few moments later and announced that Giles needed him back at the Watchers headquarters.

“I am sorry about this ticking tomb bomb, I’m leaving,” apologized Xander. “Giles wants more research done on it. He’s gonna station a handful of slayers around and gonna call Willow so that she can put a protect spell around the house, but it might be a few days. She’s out of town.”

“Well,” Dawn sat back down fidgeting. “I…I could probably do it. She did teach me a few things. All I’d need is some herbs. Do you think you could get them to me?”

“I don’t see why not,” Xander smiled.

“The spell wouldn’t be too hard to write up,” she responded.

“You sure you can do it, Dawnie?” Buffy asked, unsure.

“Please Buffy. I know I can do this. Please let me do it,” pleaded Dawn.

The blonde slayer looked to Spike for guidance, and he smiled. He knew Dawn could do anything if she put her mind to it. Buffy turned back towards Dawn and smiled as well.

“Oh thank you! Thank you!” She hugged Buffy and then placed a hand on her sister’s stomach. “It’s ok, baby. We’ll protect you and then we can be a family.” She looked up at Spike. “A real family!”

*****

Later that evening, Spike and Buffy turned in early, while Dawn worked on the protection spell. The couple had been discussing names for their daughter, but each time Buffy came up with a name, Spike would playfully shoot it down.

“Oh you’re incurable,” She slapped him lightheartedly.

Sighing, Spike said, “Ok, how about… Annabella? It was my great-great-great-great grandmother’s name on my father’s side.”

She thought for a moment on this and smiled. It was the perfect name for their daughter.

“I like it,” she kissed him as he wrapped his arms around her, holding her close to himself. She snuggled closely to his body and fell fast asleep, but he hadn’t realized it yet.

“I shall call her Bella.”

Spike heard Buffy snoring lightly a few moments later, and he kissed the top of her head. He’d missed just holding her while she slept. He made the right decision coming to England. Otherwise, he wouldn’t ever get to see his daughter. Knowing this, he aloud himself to fall fast asleep.

****

TBC
Chapter 8 by Magan
Chapter 8-

Dawn was still in the kitchen. She’d been having a little trouble writing the spell, when the phone rang. She decided that she’d let the machine pick it up, but she heard Willow’s voice, Dawn hurried over the phone, and picked it up.
Willow! The young girl thought smiling, and momentarily forgets her troubles.

“Willow!” Dawn said a little too excitedly.

“Dawnie!” Willow replied, sullenly. “How are you? And Buffy?”

Willow had only heard about the news a few hours ago from Xander. He’d called and left a message on her voice mail. She would have called sooner, but she was in an area where cell phones signals were blocked.

Dawn wasn’t quite sure what to say and remained quiet for several long moments.

“Are you there, Dawn?” Willow asked nervously.

For the moment, Willow believed something happened to Dawn.

“Willow…I’m scared.” Dawn finally spoke up.

“I know.” the witch sighed. “I know. We’re gonna get through this like we always do. Don’t you worry about it, ok?” Willow said brightly.

Relaxing a bit, Dawn exhaled noisily. “You’re right. I can’t be worrying now.”

An idea popped into Dawn’s head, and she quickly wrote it down, but then scratched it out with a sigh.

“I can sense you’re having problems with that spell?”

“Yes, I am,” Dawn said and bit her lip.

“Stop working on that.”

What did she say? Stop working on the spell? But why??

“Huh?” Dawn sat upright. “I need to…”

Willow interrupted. “Go get that book I got you for your birthday,” instructed the witch.

“Oh!” Dawn said, realizing which book Willow meant.

Jumping off the stool she’d been sitting on, Dawn hurried up to her room, being as quiet as she could. Abruptly stopped, Dawn stepped back, and looked into to Buffy’s room. She needed to know if they were ok.

To her relief, they were fast asleep, and continued on her way to her room.

Boy her snoring has gotten worse now that she’s pregnant. How can Spike stand it?? Dawn giggled as she opened her door, and headed over to her book shelf. Scanning the books with her finger shelf by shelf until she finally found it on the bottom shelf.

“Got it.” Dawn pulled the book out and sat back on her bed.

The room was a little bit bigger in size than her old room on Revello Drive. On the wall by the door were dark oak built in book shelf and desk. The bed was at the far end of the bedroom and on either side were windows, draped with wine colored silk. The bedding had the wine color to match the bed. Pillows were strewn all over the bed. They were in prints and solid colors matching the walls, and the silk drapes.

For Dawn, it symbolized being an adult.

“Ok, now what?”

“Turn to page 58,” instructed Willow.

Quickly thumbing through the pages, Dawn came across the spell that Willow mentioned. The script was in big, bold letters that popped off the page. The parchment paper in pristine condition, considering it was found in the rumble at the Watcher’s Council library.

Unfamiliar with the language, Dawn said, “I don’t know language.”

“It’s a dead language, and it would take to much time to learn,” acknowledged Willow. “I have a spell that will change that into English for you.”

Willow recited the spell over the phone for Dawn, and continued to explain what to do next. When Dawn had the gist of it, they said their good byes. If Willow was needed, she’d materialize there to help out, but she was needed more where she was at.

Dawn lit the candles on her dresser, and chanted the spell in Latin. The breeze began to pick up all around her, but the window was not open, nor was the ceiling fan on.

The spell is working, she thought as she watched the spell change to English.

When it was finished, she started to chant the protection spell, but stopped when she heard a scream and then a loud thump, followed by a ‘bloody hell.’ She whirled around quickly, headed to the door, and opened it.

“Buffy?” She looked up and down the hallway and crept out into the hallway which was eerily quiet for Dawn’s taste.
Something told her she needed to go check on Buffy and headed in the direction. When she arrived at the door, Dawn turned on the light switch.

”Oh my god, Spike, are you ok?” She headed over towards him.

Spike was sitting on the bed, rubbing the back of his head. As Dawn sat next to Spike, she noticed blood seeping out of the back of his head and mixing in with his hair.

”You’re bleeding,” She stated the obviously as she looked at the missing spot where Buffy was supposed to be.
Where’s Buffy??

“Where’s my sister?” Dawn asked, softly.

Spike remained quiet, which made her a little more nervous. She grabbed his arm and asked where her sister was. She was now starting to panic.

Truthfully Spike hadn’t a clue where Buffy was at. He looked over at Dawn regretfully, knowing that Dawn was beginning to fear the worst. Rising to his feet, Spike began pacing back and forth, accessing the situation. He knew that Buffy had been beside him, but the next thing he remembers is being thrown up against the wall. Things after that had been a little fuzzy, although, Buffy calling out to him seem to stick with him.

Sitting there quietly, Dawn watched Spike pacing back and forth. It was driving her nuts and with the added tension, the tear began to trickle down her face. She laid her head in her hands muttering, “Oh god…Oh god…Oh god…I failed my sister. I failed her Spike.” She looked at Spike, who was now watching her. He could see the sadness in her eyes. He felt her pain because he was going through the exact same thing.

How did I manage to screw this up?? I was here to protect her and I couldn’t even do that. Bloody hell! He internally chastised himself.

“I couldn’t protect her or the baby. All I had to do was one lousy spell and I couldn’t even do that.” She said, repeatedly, looking in his eyes.

Kneeling down in front of Buffy’s sister, Spike cupped her face within his own hands, and said, “Calm down, Dawn. We didn’t fail her and this is no time to bloody fall apart. Do you here me?”

Dawn shook her head and sniffled in response. She just hoped her sister and the baby would be ok by the time they got to them.

“Good!” He smiled weakly and wrapped her in his protective embrace. “We’ll figure this out. We’ll call Rupert. We’ll call the whole bloody Calvary if we have to…We’re getting her back!”

TBC
This story archived at http://https://spikeluver.com/SpuffyRealm/viewstory.php?sid=534