Middle Ground by Miz_Thang
Summary: The sequel to Light And Dark. Months after the incident in which Drusilla and Kita were staked, Spike and Buffy still haven't set themselves right. And things are about to get a bit worse.
Categories: General Fics Characters: None
Genres: Romance, Action, Angst
Warnings: Violence, Adult Language
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: No Word count: 11619 Read: 9040 Published: 11/02/2004 Updated: 11/09/2005

1. One Week by Miz_Thang

2. Welcome To The Hellmouth by Miz_Thang

3. Unexpected Blows by Miz_Thang

4. A Little Crazy by Miz_Thang

5. Unexpected Visit by Miz_Thang

6. A Solution? by Miz_Thang

One Week by Miz_Thang
One Week


One week. That’s all she wanted. One week of normalcy, happiness in the wedding planning while trying hard to convince Anya to change the dresses and therefore forcing Spike and Xander into camaraderie.

She wanted one week where she and Dawn could do girly things and she could hang at the Bronze with everyone she loved. And just…be.

And that couldn’t happen, could it?

No. The Nerdy Trio that had taken a nice long break came back full force. She and Spike had spilt up to search houses and they’d sent a demon after him.

The worst part was the delusions he’d had and that he’d tried to kill everyone while she was at work. Of course, she got home just in time to stop him from burning down the house, but it also made it obvious that Spike was chipless, a piece of information she’d fully intended to keep to herself.

Needless to say, the happy, careless air vanished and Buffy wanted to run away again. Maybe take Spike and Dawn with her.

If that wasn’t enough, a demon completely ruined Xander and Anya’s wedding, attacking the bride while Dawn went to find Xander before he did something terribly stupid. Like leave Anya at the altar.

They’d made it back in time to see Buffy and Spike fighting the demon, which ended with Xander killing it and apologizing to Anya.

Buffy then made sure everyone sat down and the wedding went on.

Now, the next part was the worst. Finding out there were cameras all over the house, at Spike’s old crypt, the Magic Box, UC Sunnydale, and Xander’s construction site.

That went by uneventfully until Willow found out about their plan to rob a truck coming from a bank. Buffy had gone alone, mainly because she wanted to thank the assholes for being such a pain in the ass this past year.

That didn’t go over well, leaving her shot and near death, wondering where the hell Spike was and why he hadn’t tried to find out where the gunshot came from.

She didn’t find out until later when Willow and Tara helped her heal. She went upstairs to Spike’s room, which they called his room mainly because it held all his stuff, and found Dawn sitting on the bed. She’d asked her what was wrong and Dawn had told her about Spike. Buffy and asked her to get Willow or Xander to help her up there. Dawn stayed for a moment before leaving and Buffy used that time to reflect on the past few months. She could never have things the way she wanted, could she?

All she’d wanted was one stinking week. But, no…

Life sucked.
Welcome To The Hellmouth by Miz_Thang
1. Welcome To The Hell Mouth


The bus pulled into the station late that night. The doors opened and a few people stepped off, including a dark female. She stood at a reasonable height, her skin of a dark color, as was her hair. Her eyes were a lighter shade and she dressed in all black.

She pulled a box out her jacket pocket and pulled out a cigarette, lighting it with her lighter. She paused and blew out the smoke before hefting the bag over her shoulder and walking off to Main Street.

She passed and motel and backtracked, entering it. She stopped at the man behind the counter. “I need a room.”

Her voice was an upper class one. Easy to distinguish to be from Great Britain, but without any certain way to point out which part of the area.

“Here.” The man handed her a key. “2-1-7.”

The female took the keys and walked towards the room entering slowly. She took one look at the room and made a face.

“Is this really why I came to the hell mouth?”

“You know why you came here, Krissy.”

Krissy turned to face the newcomer. “Whistler. It’s nice to see you. What’s up?”

“Warren Mears.” Whistler said. “He’s quickly becoming an annoying development.”

“I noticed.” Krissy said dryly. She dumped her bag on the bed. “What am I supposed to do?”

Whistler leaned on the wall. “What you do best, kid. Send him somewhere nice.” He disappeared.

“I’m not a kid!” Krissy exclaimed at dead air. She then sat on her bed, thinking in her head of all the supplies she’d need to do what she had to.

&


“How’s it going in Retail land, Buffy?” Xander asked as the slayer entered the shop.

“Good. I thought I was ruined after the day that wouldn’t end.” Buffy answered, taking a seat beside her best friend.

Anya looked up from her usual spot behind the counter as the bell dinged and signaled a customer.

Krissy slowly entered the shop and walked down the stairs, waiting for the obvious owner to approach her.

“Welcome to the Magic Box, I hope you came to buy something.”

“Um, yeah. I’m looking for a few things. For a spell, you know.” Krissy replied, smiling at the bubbly blonde. “I mean the real stuff. Actual eye of newt, the tear of Odira…”

“Oh, I know exactly what spell you’re looking for.” Anya said. She hurried around the shop to get all the supplies.

Buffy looked at Krissy. “So, you’re a witch?”

“No. A dabbler.” Krissy said, turning to face Buffy.

“A dabbler?” Anya asked. “No dabbler would be able to do this spell.”

“Portals and teleportation are my specialties. Knowing alternate dimensions is what I do.” Krissy said in explanation.

“Got it. New here?”

“You can say that. I’m actually apartment searching at the moment.”

“The apartment across the hall from us is for sale.” Anya said as she rung up the ingredients. “Twenty-five, ninety-five.”

Anya took the money she was handed and gave back Krissy’s change.

Krissy took the paper bag. “Thanks for the reference. I’ll look into the apartment.” She headed for the door. “Maybe I’ll see you around, Slayer.”

Buffy looked up sharply, getting out of her seat to follow her out the door. “Wait-“

Krissy was gone.

&


Krissy twisted her hair into a bun and tied it down with a black scrunchie. She picked up her lonely dagger and stuck it into the waistband of her jeans, picking up her mixture pouch and heading for her room.

She slid into her leather jacket and walked down the stairs slowly. As she concentrated, she could feel him on the edge of town, hiding out in the woods, as she was sure he’d been doing for the past two days.

The sun was just setting as she walked through the trees. To the left… she sensed, the intense desire to say, “Come out, come out, wherever you are…” over taking her.

Right behind… She spun around, catching the ax before it began its descent. “Hello, Warren.”

Like the coward he was, he yelled out, taking off through the trees.

Krissy sighed, moving to follow him, and beginning her chant.

In front of Warren, a green and purple portal appeared, swirling around. A whirlwind began as Krissy stepped from between two trees, continuously chanting.

She opened the pouch, poring some of the mixture in her hand and tossing it towards the portal.

With a yell, Warren flew off his feet and into the portal. It closed and it was like nothing happened.

“Mission accomplished.” Krissy said, a small smile lighting up her face.

A/N: Is Krissy evil? What did Dru do before? How are things with Spike chipless?

Miz Thang
Unexpected Blows by Miz_Thang
2. Unexpected Blows


Krissy sat across the street at the Expresso Pump, watching the bleached blonde that sat outside the bench by himself. He seemed deep in thought.

“He is.”

Krissy reached for her cup of coffee, taking a sip before looking at her new company. Unwanted company.

“Whistler.”

“Good work on Warren, but-“

“But, there’s a bigger job that I have to do? Yes, I know the routine at this point.” Krissy placed the mug down, looking back across the street. “Let me guess; my mission, if I choose to accept it, it to baby sit the special vampire?”

“Got it in one. How do you do it?” Whistler asked sarcastically.

“A life. And better style than you.” She retorted, standing up and leaving the demon at the table, by himself. She stood in front of the coffee shop for a moment, studying the vampire. Then, she sighed and walked down the block.

As she neared the bench, she made a decision, taking the seat next to him and looking around. “Nice night, isn’t it?”

“You could say that.” He said shortly, and she quickly got the impression that he didn’t want to talk. Not to her, or anyone else for that matter.

She held out her hand anyway. “I’m Krissy.”

He looked at her warily for a moment before taking it in a simple handshake. “Spike.”

The moment their hands touched, she felt a spark of blue energy. She could see what he saw, feel what he felt. And she knew what his sire had done. Why he was so lost. He pulled away and she lost it.

“Nice to meet you.” She sat back and said nothing else to him for the duration of the hour.

That didn’t matter, because he eventually gave her a much edited version of what happened, not knowing that she already knew the full details. The fact that he was telling her, a complete stranger, anything was a surprise in itself.

“A piece of advice,” she said, standing as she did, “tell her. Tell her about what she did.”

The she walked away.

&


Buffy closed the door to the house behind her and watched Spike continue up the stairs. Buffy was utterly lost. There was something going on with him, but she didn’t know what. She did know that it was tearing them apart, slowly but surely.

Dawn came out of the kitchen, giving her a look of sympathy. Spike wasn’t really talking to her either lately. Ever since the incident with Warren.

She held up the pizza box in her hand. “Willow and Tara bought pizza. Want some?”

“Um,” Buffy turned from the stairs when he was no longer visible. “Yeah.”

They went into the kitchen and Buffy sat at the counter, staring at the patterns on the countertop and tracing them.

Dawn sighed. “Usually when you say you want something, you eat it.”

“I’m sorry, Dawn. It’s just…” Buffy paused, looking at the ceiling.

“It’s Spike. I get that. The lack of Spike being Spike-like.” Dawn said. “It has something to do with Drusilla. He’s been like that for…what two, three months. He’s being worse than you were.”

The doorbell rang before the slayer could respond and she went to answer it.

The female had her hair in a bun and was looking down at her clipboard. “Hi, I’m Krissy and I’m doing a peti…” she trailed off when she saw Buffy. “Slayer.”

&


Spike closed the door to his room behind him and leaned against it. He couldn’t do this anymore. Pretend nothing was wrong. Maybe that was what let him tell Krissy, a total stranger, a version of what happened. But she knew…and he knew she knew because, for some reason, he’d seen her talking to the Scoobies.

He didn’t understand this. Half of it. Any of it. It was all mumble-jumbled and he was ending up confused, with the feeling that he was chasing his own tail.

He walked towards the window and climbed out, only to sit on the roof just outside. Funny thing was that he knew the only thing he was doing was “floating by.” Each day came and he just went along with it. He was starting to think that maybe this was how Buffy felt. And there was only one person to blame.

What did you do to me, Dru? He thought, pushing himself off the roof and landing on the ground safely. He left the yard through the back gate, thinking a walk might do something.

&


“So…you know Whistler and that’s all you can tell me?” Buffy asked incredulously.

“Yes,” Krissy said. “But that isn’t the reason I came here. I came here because-“

“You have something dire to tell me?” Buffy raised an eyebrow in question.

“Well, there’s that…and I’m doing this petition to take to City Hall…um…it’s against going out on Halloween. For the obvious Hell mouth-involving reasons.”

Buffy gave her a disbelieving look when Krissy held up the petition with fifty signatures.
Then she signed her name and handed it back. “One thing out of the way,” she gave Krissy a serious look. “What’s the other?”

“Spike.” Krissy replied, putting the clipboard in her bag.

“What about him?”

“Whatever Drusilla did...it may be doing more harm than good.” The dimension specialist relented to say; she was only watching as Buffy suddenly stood and began pacing the living room floor in front of her. The slayer whipped to face her.

“How…how much more harm than good?”

“It might end up killing him.”

&


Spike came inside at near dawn. He was careful as he went up the stairs because, lately, it was starting to feel like he was living with a parent instead of his…whatever the hell Buffy happened to be, and Dawn.

He’d swung by a bar, won a few hands, had a few drinks. He then took a walk around the town, trying to think. About what he was actually doing, what he’d done since the Drusilla/Kita incident. That he’d done nothing. Didn’t even pretend he was okay. Hide. And maybe he needed to do that. Pretend.

That in mind, he went upstairs to his room and entered, finding Buffy and that girl he met earlier in his room, the former on his bed and the latter in a chair nearby. He had a feeling his plan was shot to hell.

“Spike, we need to talk.” Buffy said.

“Talk?” he glanced at Krissy and turned back to Buffy. “About what?”

“I noticed a month ago. That we somehow…that we lost what we-that you weren’t the same…and Krissy told me it was because of Drusilla. I need to know what she did.”

“What’s so important about what she did?”

“Oh, I don’t know; I think maybe it has something to do with the fact that you’re not being yourself and that it might end up killing you. So, help me here, because the thought of you dying right now? Kinda scary.”

Krissy turned to look out the window, still not understanding why her presence was needed for this. It’s not like she was a dear, concerned friend of the family. Hell, she wasn’t even an acquaintance.

“Buffy, what are you talking about?”

It hit her in that moment that she was trying to make herself disappear. She turned to look at the blonde couple and stood. “Heaven.” They looked at her. “It was almost heaven, wasn’t it? Or as close as you’d get, in any case.”

“That isn’t-“ Spike started, only for Krissy to cut him off again.

“Being with Drusilla and Kita was almost heaven. Not knowing what really happened, not having the burden if memories. Just living day to day, like before when everything was just simple. And even if you hate the memory games, when they came back-the memories-things got worse. Again.”

Krissy’s words left a stunned silence for the trio. She didn’t even know where they had come from. But, from the look on Spike’s face, every word was the truth.

And Buffy saw that too. She saw that every single thing Krissy had suggested was true. But, she had to make sure. There would be no jumping to conclusions this time.

“Is that true, Spike? Is that true?”

Of course Spike left after that, dropping into the sewers just before the sun rose in the sky. Krissy and Buffy looked at each other for a moment before Krissy spoke.

“That went well.”

&


Later, at the Magic Box, Buffy introduced the woman to Willow and Tara, and re-introduced her to Xander and Anya. Anya then asked whether her spell worked, which, of course, it did.

“Yes. A job done, another started.” Krissy commented.

“Who do you work for?” Willow asked curiously.

“Doesn’t really matter. What matters is what might be coming,” Krissy said. Then she looked at the back door seconds before Spike walked through.

“Great. Just…bloody…great,” he muttered, turning to leave at the sight of Buffy and Krissy.

Krissy gave Buffy a look. After al, it was her boyfriend not Krissy’s. Hers to deal with, talk to, help out. Krissy was only here because she had to be. Nothing else.

Buffy got the hint a jumped up out her seat. “Spike, wait!” He turned to look back at her. “We need to talk.”

“What’s there to talk about?”

Buffy was about to answer before she remembered their audience. “In the back.”

He left the room and she followed him inside. He gave her a look and she had this feeling she wouldn’t like what came out of his mouth. “What’s this about?”

She was right. She didn’t like it.

“This is about you not talking to me. This is about you keeping everything inside and not at least telling me how you feel,” Buffy said, her voice rising.

“Not everyone’s interested in a dead ear, Buffy.”

“What happened to you, to-to us, me and you?” If Buffy could, she’d stake Kita all over again. Without her, Drusilla wouldn’t have attempted retrieving Spike. And they’d be okay. With the…the poetry, and the semi-romantic walk through the cemetery, and the fun of staking a vampire and falling into him despite her ability to keep her balance, plus any kisses that resulted from that.

“Thought we were back to normal.”

“Back to normal?” Buffy echoed questioningly. “What’s normal? I’m the slayer, you’re a vampire, my sister’s a key, my best friend’s a gay witch, the other’s married to an ex-vengeance demon and I live on the hell mouth!”

“Normal. As in before you came in with the speech about shouting from rooftops.”

“When I said I love you? Suddenly you don’t believe me?”

“Didn’t say that.” Spike said. That was exactly why he thought having a conversation was a bad idea. She didn’t understand where he was coming from; he didn’t care how right Krissy was or wasn’t.

“Really? Then what are you saying, ‘cause it sounds a whole lot like that.” Buffy retorted.

“I’m saying-“

There was a crashing sound in the front, effectively ending their conversation. They raced into the store, only to be horrified at what they saw. Krissy was being choked by some robed figure on the reading table. Anya hid behind the counter as Xander was tackled by another. Willow threw defensive spells just as another figure tossed Tara across the room and into a shelf.

Buffy automatically raced into action as Spike was knocked off his feet by a figure. Just as he was met with the feeling of his back meeting the floor and a pained scream in his ears, he was suddenly back in the training room, facing off against Buffy.

“It sounds a whole lot like that,” Buffy was saying.

“I’m saying-” Spike paused as the moment came. He had this déjà vu feeling just as the sound of a loud crash met their ears.

It was almost as if things were happening in slow motion. Krissy was being choked on the table, as before. Anya was still hiding behind the counter. Xander was flying onto his back, trying to fight his own attacker. Willow threw minor spells at the figures as Tara flew across the room. Spike was knocked on his back as Buffy yanked the attacker of Krissy, letting her slump to the floor tiredly.

The same scream from before sounded in his ears. Only this time he knew it was Willow. She raced over to where Tara lay in the pile of items and a broken bookshelf. This time, there was nothing to say. Willow didn’t have to say anything. Her eyes, the anger radiating off her, the grief said it all. As did Tara’s neck bent at an unnatural angle.

Tara was dead.

A/N: What did Krissy mean when she called Spike “the special vampire?” Is Krissy right about Spike missing the illusion Kita had given him? What evil force sent its minions after the Scoobies?

On another note, I’ve become a bit more dedicated to this plot, so chapters will become longer and more involved. Very much more involved.

A Little Crazy by Miz_Thang
A/N: Oh look, as promised, a long chapter. Which would explain why it took so long to type it…read on, and review!

3. A Little Crazy


“Things are gonna get hectic, kid.” Whistler said. Krissy was beginning to wonder if he liked to wait until she was at the Expresso Pump to come bother her. Right now really wasn’t the time.

Buffy and Xander were trying to be there for Willow as she grieved for Tara the right way, without all the black magic stuff…courtesy of the little ball in Krissy’s pocket that held all of it. Willow was innocent, once again. If any magic came out of her, it would be full of light and goodness. Just a little bit of Tara in Willow.

Dawn was handling it as best as a person could handle one of their favorite people dying. Anya was dealing with death the only way she could at the moment. By keeping the store going, counting the money, and trying to understand why people died; once again no one would answer her.

Spike…who the hell knew where Spike was? Krissy thought miserably, giving Whistler a look that clearly indicated she wasn’t in the talking mood. It showed in her face as it registered that he’d, once again, called her a kid.

“Don’t call me that.” He sat across from her. “What are you doing?”

“We’re gonna talk.”

“With you dressed like that?” She couldn’t help the jibe.

“Ha…ha. Nice to know you still got your sense of humor.” He replied sarcastically. Then, he got a bit more serious. “Fate has this way of sneaking up on you.”

Krissy sighed. “Tell me about it. Even after I shoved that prat Warren into that portal, even after I gave those people in Los Angeles a clue about the demon that was on its way here, had them kill it before it could kill her…and yet, here we are. Again. I worked out every bloody alternative and still-” she cut herself off. A nice side effect to where she was from. Overly emotional. She laughed bitterly at her own thought, and at a new one.

“At least Willow didn’t go psycho revenge.”

“History repeats itself. Keep an eye on the vampire.” He left her alone then and she dropped her head into her forearms. It never ended.

She sat there for a moment and then she left. She was thinking of a drunk, but then she saw Spike. On the bench where she first met him. She took a seat beside him. She’d had this feeling that something was bugging him. And it wasn’t giving her a good gut feeling either-stupid missions and the empathy that came with them.

“I saw it.” He said after a moment.

She looked at him, truly confused as to what the hell he was talking about. “Huh?”

“I saw what was going to happen.” He elaborated, giving Krissy a side glance.

“Might’ve been Drusilla.” Krissy replied. Surprisingly, Buffy had brought her up to speed on what was keeping Spike distant. Told her about Drusilla and Kita, how he’d disappeared for about two months, complete with the memory games and what Drusilla did.

Spike looked at her strangely and she continued. “I can’t rightly tell you what it’s called. Mainly because I don’t know. It’s in an ancient dialect I’ve never seen before, so any hopes of me translating it? Not really. The point? When she killed herself, she did a spell…to give you her…assets-the sight, magic. If she had it, and you named it, it’s now yours.”

Then she frowned and turned to face him.

“Well, except the insanity. Talk to any dolls lately?”

&


I see you smiling every day
Looking back at me like nothing ever changed
I swear I heard you call my name
But in all reality
It’s just your picture frame


It really wasn’t a pretty day. It was overcast, clouds blocking out all the direct sunlight. Xander and Anya were already there when Willow and Buffy came, the blonde slayer guiding the redhead to the front of the small group of mourners.

Why am I here
Without you
When there was so much for us left to do
How could the angels have come so soon?


Dawn had decided to come with Spike. Krissy stood off to the side, leaning on a tree and separating herself from the others. She watched as college students walked up to Willow, hugged her, cried with her, and told her how much they’d loved Tara. She stayed away from the group; this wasn’t her world.

If I could make heaven wait
I’d find a way to ask God if he had
Made some mistake
If he’d save your wings
For another day
If only I could make heaven wait


The priest had spoken on life, love and being righteous. He’d talked about fulfilling destinies and life plans. That Tara had fulfilled hers, had brought joy to our lives-she’d completed her purpose. And that now it was time to say goodbye.

All you clothes are hanging up
Not a thing’s been touched
I left it all the same
I wish I could rewind
And go back in time
Just to see your face again


Then Willow spoke, giving her entire heart into those words. She didn’t back down, saying with perfect clarity, in front of the priest, this man of God, friends that didn’t know Willow personally, everyone, what she and Tara had been. She’d described how they first met, how they just had this connection, and that Tara was the second person she loved all her life, maybe the only she’d loved this much.

Dawn had taken a turn; her speech hadn’t been as long and elaborate as Willow’s, but her love for the blonde had been conveyed, and that was enough.

And the only thing Buffy could think about was that she needed to find out who did this. She had to find out who killed Tara. She also had to make sure she got to work on time after an hour, because it was just too much to let her have the day off, and that Dawn had something healthy for dinner. Then she and Spike were going to really talk and she had to send in the last bill of payment for Xander and Anya’s wedding present before the post office closed.

‘Cause I miss you
I need you
I’m so alone without you here with me
You are the reason that I breathe


Anya and Xander had taken their turns, expressing that Tara had willingly spent as much time helping plan the wedding and calm the tension, as she spent studying for school, or talking to Dawn these past few months.

Buffy took her turn, telling that she was able to confide in Tara, when there was no one else. That she’d known the truth, even if Buffy hadn’t wanted it, and didn’t force her to see it. The entire time, she thought of when Tara had said that it was okay to love Spike. Spike didn’t say anything, and maybe that was okay, because it was obvious that this was actually affecting him, even if he attempted to remain stoic.

If I could make heaven wait
I’d find a way to ask God if he had
Made some mistake
If he’d save your wings
For another day
If only I could make heaven wait


Just seconds before they were ready to lower the coffin, Krissy pushed herself from the tree as if she were making a decision. Not too much of a wise decision, getting emotionally involved with her mission-Buffy could see that. Krissy had stood there, looked Willow in the eyes, and told her that within ten minutes, she had felt the good rolling off Tara in waves, appropriately making Willow cry. But, it was in a good way…seeing the shock register on Krissy’s face when Willow hugged her for the compliment.

And every night I search for you star
In the sky
(Asking myself why oh why)
Lord knows I would trade in my life for
A chance to say goodbye


Tara’s family didn’t show up. Which had pissed Willow off to no end. The sound of the dial tone after Mr. Maclay told her in no uncertain terms that he wasn’t coming still rang in her ears hours after. She had ranted for hours, using words Buffy had once thought Willow didn’t know. How could they not come? She was their family, flesh and blood, lived with them for nearly two decades…and now she was gone.

If I could make heaven wait
I’d find a way to ask God if he had
Made some mistake
If he’d save your wings
For another day
If only I could make heaven wait


&


“So, I’m thinking, nix the good side thing and you’d be beyond sexy.”

Spike turned to face what looked to him like Buffy. Except…it couldn’t be. Buffy wouldn’t have ever said that to him.

“What are you?”

“What’s wrong, baby? Don’t recognize me?” She batted her eyelashes coyly and seemed to glide across the room.

The problem was Buffy didn’t glide. She walked purposely. Determined. Another clue to the wrongness of this situation. The wrongness of this poser that was supposed to be Buffy.

“You know the world’s going to end, right?” She asked. Suddenly she was Drusilla. “You can see it all in your head…everything I saw all…day…long.”

Drusilla faded and he was staring into lavender eyes. Kita. “Think maybe you caught a bit of the wacko’s insanity? Kinda possible…after all…” a thin, predator’s smile grace her face, “it could be an asset.”

Spike stepped back, the words hitting him. The same words he’d been thinking of. He’d been questioning himself, thinking that maybe-just maybe- he was going a little crazy, going a little bit out his mind with everyday that he had to sit and think.

It made no sense. Seeing those things. Seeing the future. And not stopping them. Not being able to. He’d always thought that if Drusilla hadn’t been a nutter, they could see the future. So, why couldn’t he stop it?

“Be funny if you were, though,” Kita continued. She then turned back into Buffy. “But...back on topic.”

She moved close to Spike, looking as if she wanted to touch him. “I had it all planned out, you know? Come to Sunnydale, kill the slayer line, and rule the world. But, Dru’s made me change it a bit. Now, it’s get you, kill the slayer line, rule the world.”

She turned away suddenly, long blonde hair becoming dark brown again. “You don’t see it yet, do you? But you will. The moon and the stars will sing a beautiful song. A song of darkness and death and blood…all because of you. You try to hide it behind the slayer and her puppies, but you must remember, William. You’re. Just. Like. Me.”

&


When Buffy came home that night, Spike was sitting in the dining room. In the dark. “Spike?” She questioned. Ever since Krissy had told her that Spike blamed himself for Tara, for not being able to stop it, she’d noticed that he kind of stayed away from the action, withdrew.

“Dru did something.”

Buffy paused. She’d thought it was weird, but…”What did she do?”

“A spell. Leave it to Dru for it to be a crappy one.”

“Spike, what did she do?” Her voice held a bit more force as she neared Spike. Her “boyfriend.” Not that she could tell; they hadn’t talked, hadn’t touched, kissed, done anything couple-like in weeks.

“The visions. Gave me ‘em. Every single thing she saw, I see. And…maybe…” Spike stood and turned to face her. He was inches away. “I saw you today. You talked to me.”

“I was-“

“At work. Yeah. I know. I saw Drusilla and Kita too.” He turned his face away and let out a short bark of laughter, looking back at her with his head titled to the right. “Think I’m going insane? That she gave me that too?”

Any other day, Buffy would’ve told him that what he’d said was a load of bull. That there was no way Drusilla could have transferred her insanity. But, seeing the total blankness, the unseeing look in his eyes, she couldn’t help but think…no.

“You think I’m insane, completely bonkers, around the bend…” he looked at her unwavering in his gaze and it killed her to see eyes once so full of life, so dull. “Funny thing? You’re probably right.”

“I-”

“You probably think that any one of these days, I’m going to off on your friends and try to kill them again, don’t you?”

Kita wore a slight smirk on her face as she stood just to Spike’s right. She had to thank this slight change of events. It was all she needed.

“Spike, I don’t think that-”

“You know, for some reason-probably can thank good old Dru for it, I can tell everything coming out your mouth is a lie-or at least, not completely true.” Kita replied, happier as Spike mimicked her words.

“Think you’re right, though. I think I’ve lost all my bloody marbles. And I won’t be getting them back.” Spike backed away. “Krissy was right. For two months, I was me again, living like I’m supposed to, living the way where everything was clear and right. When things were simple.”

“But things aren’t simple-you taught me that.” Buffy countered.

“Maybe I was wrong.” Spike turned away from her and seemed to almost disappear into the shadows of the room. “You know how it’s supposed to go, don’t you, Buffy? Vampire meets slayer. Vampire kills slayer…breaks her bones, drinks her dry…except I can’t do it.”

Spike laughed a bit and it hurt Buffy that she was actually considering the use of her emergency stake.

“I can’t do it, ‘cause I messed up and fell in love. Love’s bitch through and through…but where does it get me? Where does it get me?” Spike began to pace, his voice raising. “I know; it gets me alone, a bloody lap dog for the one person I should still want to kill.”

There were no real words to describe how this one moment felt. Her eyes burned, and not from anger-from hurt, tears. She was hurt. He thought he was wrong for not killing her, for falling in love with her. A bit of her old mentality crept in. See, he can’t change. Soulless demon. All that stuff he said was a bunch of bull to trick you.

“I thought you changed.”

“No, you don’t. It’s what you still expect, even if you won’t admit it. You want me to change, become Brood King Junior, but you don’t think I have yet. You don’t think I will. You don’t trust me, Buffy. And, last I checked, trust rated high.”

“I do trust-”

“So, I figured you can’t not trust me and love me. Don’t try to tell me you do. I’m a little crazy, not stupid.”

&


“Xander, where are you going with that?” Anya asked, already panicking as she came from the kitchen.

“This is the right thing, man,” Jesse said, watching as Xander searched for his car keys.

Anya froze, seeing the suitcase on the floor. She looked up at him, eyes questioning. “Where are you going?”

“I mean it couldn’t work. Krissy stopped you from seeing that it couldn’t work.” Jesse continued.

“I-” Xander paused. Could he do this? Could he leave Anya after only a month of marriage?

“I know what you’re thinking. But if you don’t, you could hurt her. And this will hurt less. It’ll hurt less ‘cause she won’t be dead, Xander. She won’t be dead. You saw it. Your relationship will kill her.” Jesse said, sounding reassuring, though a bit of evil intent underlined his words.

Jesse was right. He had to go. He had to make her safe. If he lost her like Willow lost Tara. If she died…he’d be miserable. He wouldn’t be able to handle it, if it were his fault.

“I’m leaving.”

“Oh. Where are you going and when are you coming back? Halfrek and D’Hoffryn are supposed to be over for dinner in two hours. “Anya said, sighing in relief.

“I’m not coming back, Ahn.” Xander closed his eyes, wishing he didn’t have to do this. But he had to. And he would.

“W-what?” Anya asked. “Of course you are.”

“No. I can’t. This is for you, Anya. To save you before it’s too late. I don’t want to lose you.”

Anya hurried over to him. “You can’t. You’re not losing me. I’m right here!” she grabbed his hand, looking at him pleadingly, tears in her eyes. “Don’t do this to me, Xander. Don’t…don’t leave me!”

“I have to. If you…if you died, I wouldn’t be able to live.”

“Even if you leave, I could die, just from crossing the street. Xander, people die!”

“And I don’t want to be the one that dies it, that kills you.”

Anya didn’t know what to say. She didn’t know how to answer that. How to convince Xander that it was impossible. Because she saw it in his eyes. He believed he’d hurt her. He believed himself capable of it.

She said nothing, tears streaming down her face, even long after the door shut behind her husband, clicking audibly. The only sound afterwards was her sobbing and, unbeknownst to her, laughter. Jesse laughed, a grin never leaving his face.

A/N: Could thinks get any worse? Was that really Jesse…?

Song used:“Make Heaven Wait” by Guy Sebastian
Unexpected Visit by Miz_Thang
Author's Notes:
Well, damn. I actually got up the nerve to update. I probably won't be updating this for a while. I have so many WIPs to finish.
4. Unexpected Visit


Was it an exaggeration to say that she felt like dying? Would she just be whining if she said her life was over? Would she be penalized by people who didn’t understand all the pain she was feeling, just because they thought she was being whiny, even when their opinions didn’t make the tiniest bit of a difference in how she acted in this moment?

She had taken a spot on the floor, leaning against the door with her eyes closed and her face tear-streaked. He left her. Just like that, he spit a few words about how much he didn’t want to hurt her and he left. Funny how he was still the one who hurt her, right? How all this pain, all this emotion that she couldn’t contain and didn’t want to feel anymore…it was his entire fault. Every bit of it. And she didn’t want it.

Then they came. No, not the ever present Scoobies that were his friends. Her friends. Halfrek and D’Hoffryn. An embarrassment she would have loved to have avoided had she actually cared at the moment. But she didn’t. D’Hoffryn had taken her back to Arashmaha. Maybe to help her clear her head.

It was so dark in this realm. It was just what she needed.

He held a handkerchief in front of her. She stared at it a moment, somewhat hypnotized and then reached for it, accepting it. She didn’t look at him.

“Are you okay?” He asked.

Anya shook her head as she sat solemnly. “I’m tired…” she sniffled, wondering how long she’d been crying, before she got here, and all she did was continue to cry. “Of crying. I’m just so tired, D’Hoffryn.”

D’Hoffryn sighed. “Oh, Anyanka, I’m sorry.” He paused. It would only be in his best interest to get her back, and, that in mind, he continued. “But you let him domesticate you. When you were a vengeance demon, you were powerful, at the top of your game. You crushed men like him.”

Anya didn’t react, didn’t say anything. She sat there, letting his words sink in. Xander had changed her. Xander had changed everything she’d once stood for. And it wasn’t right. But, she only continued to sit there with her handkerchief.

“It's time you got back to what you do best ... don't you think?” D’Hoffryn asked then.

Anya lifted her face to look up at him. Her face was blank. She avoided thoughts about Xander; she avoided thoughts on those people she knew that would side with Xander, because that’s who they belonged to. They were Xander’s friends.

It took her a moment before she whispered, “Do it.”

&


“I feel awful,” Willow said suddenly as she looked up from her hot cocoa. Sitting across from her was Buffy and Dawn, each with their own cup of caffeine. “A-and not just because of…”

“Tara.” Dawn supplied quietly, seeing how pained the redhead was to even say her name.

It hade been a week. A week since Tara’s funeral. Since Krissy disappeared unannounced. Since Xander left Anya. Since Spike just…left.

“Yeah,” Willow continued quietly, “I can’t understand why he just left. It’s not adding up.”

“He was having doubts at the wedding.” Buffy said logically, more concerned with the way Spike had left.

“But I talked sense into him.” Dawn said. She paused, scrunching her eyebrows and frowning. “At least, I think I did.”

“There’s something else.” Buffy said then. Willow and Dawn looked at her. “There’s something we’re not seeing.”

“Damn right there is,” Krissy said, sitting down next to Willow. “And I can’t figure out for the life of me what that is.”

&


“Spike. Haven’t seen you since the wedding,” Clem said, watching his friend sit at the table.

“Yeah?” he questioned. Then he looked at the Melvik demon that everyone just called ‘Mel.’

“Deal me in, Vik.”

Except for Spike.

“Trouble in paradise?”

“Not sure it’s your business,” Spike growled, snatching up his cards.

“Why do you waste your time? You pretend you belong here, with the slums, the inferiors.” Buffy said, standing by the wall like the first time she’d come with Spike.

“Not pretending anything.” Spike muttered, placing his bet of two Siamese.

“Nobody said you were,” Clem said and Spike looked up from his hand to see the other demons looking at him.

“Can we get on with this?” Spike asked, glaring. The other demons turned away.

“Do you see? They don’t understand, Spike. They won’t understand your power. And I want to show you. I want to show you the world, Spike. Our world. The dark. There is no middle ground.”

“Can’t play with all your chattering.” Spike said, not even caring what the other demons thought about him having a conversation, seemingly by himself.

After a week, he was pretty sure he was certifiably insane.

Drusilla then said, “The pieces are going to come tumbling down. Falling down…do you remember the song?”

“The one about the London Bridge? Pretty much, yeah. You went on for three weeks, thinking it would actually fall.” Spike muttered.

“Yep. Think, Spike. What’s the metaphoric bridge?” Kita asked, pushing away from the wall and kneeling just inside of his peripheral vision. “C’mon…the bridge is…”

“Buffy and her friends,” Spike said, seeing it. Buffy, Willow, Xander, Anya, Tara, and Dawn. They were the bridge. And they were falling apart. First Tara died, and then Xander left Anya.

Kita stood straight, satisfied. “Starts way before that, Spike. Started the minute the watcher left so that they could all fall. Hard.”

&


The next time Buffy saw Spike was in the cemetery. She had spent the entire night looking for him and it was pretty much dawn when she came across him, sitting out in the open and seemingly waiting for something. Dawn.

Buffy didn’t know what happened to him. She really didn’t want to know. All she knew was that him burning in the sun wasn’t and option. And she ran. “Spike!”

Kita sat on a tombstone, watching interestedly as the slayer raced across the grass, yelling for Spike to get up, to get out the open.

Her grin only widened as the sun rose and shone down on him. And…nothing happened. A short bark of laughter passed her lips as Buffy slowed to a stop, face scrunched in confusion and mouth gapped open.

“Going to catch flies, Slayer.” Kita said, brusque in her comment.

Buffy’s mouth snapped shut as she turned towards the brunette on the slab of stone. “You died.”

“Was for three years.” Kita shrugged.

“No. Spike killed you. Put a stake in your heart.”

“Oh. That. Death’s never permanent, Buffy. Thought you of all people would know that.” Kita stood, taking steps Buffy’s way.

“For weeks, months even, you’ve been living in the dark about what the hell has been going on? Why did the watcher leave? Why did Drusilla wait so long to come back for Spike again? Why did Xander and Spike leave at the same time? Why did Tara die? It’s all me, Buffy. Every single mishap was me, whispering in your ears.”

You did all that?”

“Normally, I’m not one to toot my own horn, but…” Kita grinned, “‘Toot!’”

Buffy swung at her, only for her fist to go through. She stared at Kita, who only continued to smile. “What are you?”

“Oh, now I’m hurt, Buffy. I mean, I know Angel and I only talked for a little while a few years back...mostly about killing you, and later himself, but…” She trailed off as the obvious implications were acknowledged.

“The First Evil. So, what; you’re just going after every single one of my vampire boyfriends now?”

“Just the special ones,” She retorted. “Seriously, though? It’s not about you, Buffy. Not really.” Kita became Kendra. “It’s about ‘im,” she pointed at Spike, who still lay in the sun, “and what he can do for me.”

“Leave him the hell alone.”

“Oh. I can’t.” Kendra said, sorrowfully fading away into Drusilla as they suddenly stood in the alley the dark vampire had dusted in.

“I gave him all my parts…and now he’s everything the King wants.” She whispered, as if sharing a secret with Buffy.

“The King?”

“Evil. The First. The ultimate general, the stars whisper. Can’t save him ‘less you take away my parts. And you can’t-“

“Take away your ‘parts’ unless he’s dead,” Buffy murmured.

“Good, dear.” Her face became serious. “Save him. Keep him on middle ground.”

Buffy sat up in her bed, chest heaving. Two words stuck with her.

Save him.

&


Willow did a locator spell. Spike was hiding out at the bar. Buffy decided to go alone, one-on-one talking in mind. The only good thing was that when she did enter, all the demons quieted.

She said nothing, heading towards the back. As soon as she entered, the other demons playing scrambled out. Clem waved and she was unable to resist giving him a quick smile.

“Spike,” she said, taking the seat beside him.

“Didn’t expect you.” Spike replied.

“Why not?”

“You’re not supposed to come. Well, not a lot. Ever wonder if this is real?” Spike changed the subject abruptly. “Vampires, demons, slayers. If you’re just dreaming.”

“Not since I was sixteen.” Buffy said calmly, watching his hands as he shuffled the deck of cards.

“I’ve thought about it a lot, you know…since I tried to kill everyone.”

A silence than lapsed and Buffy sat back, to think. She had to hand it to the First. It did a number on Spike, on all of them, without them even seeing what was happening right in front of them.

“Spike, I need you to come back with me,” Buffy tried.

“Why?”

“Why?” The blonde slayer echoed.

“Yeah. Why? Why should I go anywhere with you? You don’t trust me and maybe I shouldn’t trust you.” He replied.

“Because I...you’re in my heart, Spike. Because, because I need you next to me. Because the First Evil is trying to manipulate you, trying to use you.”

Spike froze, looking Buffy in the eyes. Seeing that he was ready to believe Buffy, and not wanting to end her game yet, Anne said, “Now, you wouldn’t believe that harlot over you dear old mother, would you?”

Mentally answering her question, that yes, he would, she moved on the plan B. She cleared her throat. “Do you remember our song, William? You loved this song. I used to hum, or sing, as you wrote your poetry. It was wonderful.” She kneeled by his ear. “Let me sing for you, my dear boy. Early one morning, just as the sun was rising, I heard an old maid singing in the valley down below.”

Buffy was startled when Spike suddenly lost the soft look in his eyes, dropping the cards as the blue of his eyes disappeared within a feral yellow and ridges formed.

“Spike-”

He growled and she had an instinctive bad feeling, just before he tackled her over the table, knocking it and a few other things down.

Anne stood, watching as cards flew through her non corporeal form and a chair fell through her legs. She only smiled endearingly. “Oh, don’t you leave me. Oh, don’t deceive me. How could you use a poor maiden so?”

&


Krissy left her apartment, noticing almost immediately that the door to what had been Anya and Xander’s apartment was open. She walked towards it slowly, hoping she was just being paranoid.

Then the door opened fully and Anya came outside, a box in hand. “Krissy.”

“Anya. Hi. Are you moving?”

“Yes. To a motel until I find a place.” She looked back at the door to her apartment, disbelieving that she was leaving her home of two years.

“I…” Krissy trailed off. She felt for Anya and didn’t really know how to go about asking the blonde. “I have an extra bedroom,” she hinted.

“You’re asking me to move in with you?” Anya asked, a smile forming.

“Um…yes?”

“Thank you!” Anya dropped her box in favor of hugging Krissy. “I will try to be respectful to your things.”

“That’s great, Anya,” she said when Anya let her go. “How about we go and get your things?”

Anya picked up her box and walked across the hall to Krissy’s apartment.

“What are you trying to accomplish?” Spike asked.

“Trying to stop you.” Krissy replied, entering the apartment and lifting a box.

“We’ve got history. You can’t throw that away.”

“I don’t know what you’re trying to do, but it ends now.”

“Really? How will you stop me?” the First asked smugly, knowing it was impossible.

Krissy bristled. “Believe me, I’ll find a way, even if it kills me.”

“I’m counting on your death then.”

Krissy walked away.

&


Buffy tossed Spike off her, flipping to her feet as he slammed into a shelf of supplies. She was confused. Something happened, because she was sure he’d been just about to leave with her. She knew he was…

The First is controlling him, she told herself as she ducked a punch. This is all the-

She flew back into the wall when he kicked her in the stomach and rolled to her feet slowly. She eyed Spike with a sense of wariness that she didn’t know was possible to still feel for him. “Spike. Stop.”

“There’s no stopping an animal like that,” Anne then became visible to Buffy. She smiled softly. “I love it.”

“Spike is not an animal.” Buffy caught his wrist and swung him onto the wall. She wasted no time, backhanding him across the face. He stumbled back and she proceeded to kick him twice in the gut.

“Then what is he?” Anne asked, not showing a hint of emotion as she watched her plan work itself out. “If not an animal, if not a demon?”

“He’s…” She paused, slamming her fist into his face with regret, hoping to tire and/or knock him out. And it came. He staggered back into the wall from the force behind the hit and slid to the floor, unconscious.

“He’s a man. He’s…he’s more than anything I could say.” She stared down at him. “At least to me.”

She then went over to him, kneeling before his prone figure. She touched his cheek lightly, slightly smiling.

“You humans are utterly pathetic, you know that?” Anne said, then disappearing.

Buffy pulled Spike to her feet, putting one of his arms around her neck as he awoke slightly. “Hey…” she said, “Let’s go home, okay?”

He gave no reply so she proceeded to get him out of the bar.

&


“You think he’s okay?” Dawn asked, stealing a glance at Spike, who sat completely still in the dining room, alone with whatever thoughts he was having. It completely freaked Dawn out and she was worried about him, and with good reason, according to Buffy.

“No,” Buffy answered. “But then again, I haven’t actually thought so since…”

“Since the thing with Drusilla. Yeah.” Dawn finished. She sighed. “Did you talk to Anya or Krissy?”

“Willow said they moved in together.”

“Oh.” A silence fell between the two sisters. “What about Xander?”

“He’s moving back into the apartment now that Anya’s gone. She served him yesterday.” Buffy replied. Off Dawn’s confused look, she continued, “Divorce papers.”

“Oh.” Another moment lapsed and Dawn looked back into the dining room. “He’s staying here.” It wasn’t really a question, just a statement on Dawn’s part.

“Yeah,” Buffy said and Dawn stood, nodding. She began to leave the room.

“I shouldn’t have let him leave. This entire time, the First was manipulating him and I let him leave.”

Dawn turned around. “Buffy, it’s not your fault; you didn’t know.”

The doorbell rang. Buffy frowned at Dawn, and she shrugged, going to answer the door. She pulled it open, her eyes widening in shock. “Oh! Um…” she gave Buffy a quick glance and then in the loudest voice possible, because, well, letting Giles find out about Spike would be stupid, she said, “Hi, Giles!”

A/N: What does Buffy’s dream mean? How the hell does Krissy know the First? And why is Giles in town? The first two are kind of long off, but the last one, that’s in the next chapter. Chapter Five: A Solution?
A Solution? by Miz_Thang
Author's Notes:
Tell me what you think, please.
Chapter Five: A Solution?


Krissy placed a candle on the shelf. “So this is all you do all day; take inventory and wait for sales?”

“I also count and organize the money.” Anya answered.

“Oh.” Krissy blinked.

The bell attached to the door rang and both females looked up at the entrance to see Dawn and Buffy enter with Giles.

“Giles!” Anya exclaimed, coming from behind the counter. She paused. “You don’t want the shop back, do you?”

“No,” Giles replied, welcoming the hug Anya then rushed to give. “I came for my ‘the-world-is-ending’ visit.”

“Oh. Well, as long as you don’t want the shop.” Anya said, letting go. “This is Krissy. I live with her.”

When Giles frowned, confusion marring his face, Krissy got the feeling that Dawn and Buffy didn’t finish explaining everything. Buffy didn’t attempt to pretend she had.

“Um, yeah…” Buffy started nervously. “We were just getting there.”

“Where’s Xander and Willow?” Krissy asked after Anya disappeared into the basement.

“Willow offered to be on Spike duty. Xander’s…who knows?” Dawn shrugged.

“I’ll go…help her then.” Krissy said with a slight smile at the thought of the redhead. “Tell Anya that I’ll be back in an hour.” The bell dinged to signal her exit.

Buffy sighed and sat down. “Long, painful version, or short, easy one?”

“I think I might be better off with the long version. Far as I know, Spike’s in some kind of trouble, Xander and Anya have split ways, you’ve met someone new who already knows of the hell mouth, and I’m concerned that no one’s mentioned Tara.” Giles replied, sitting at the reading table.

Dawn took a seat next to Buffy, directly across from Giles as the slayer flinched at the obvious lack of communication.

“So, um, you left. And things got kinda bad. I mean, Dawn was a klepto-“

“And I totally paid everyone back.” Dawn interrupted.

Buffy gave Dawn a short look and turned back to Giles. “Drusilla came back, with this vamp named Kita, and did a total memory swipe on Spike-worse than Willow’s. He was missing for two months, until Drusilla undid it-she and Kita are dust in the wind, by the way. Xander and Anya got married, and Willow and Tara got back together.”

“I’m going to assume that’s when everything fell apart.” Giles said.

“You don’t know the half of it,” Dawn murmured, once again thinking about Tara.

“First, the pains in my asses of the year-Warren, Jonathan and the other one-sent a demon after Spike and me while we were searching for their ‘lair’. They sent some Gargle-or-something demon and Spike pulled the short end of the stick. It poisoned him. Made him delusional.”

“He eventually thought that he was really back in 1882 London, married to someone named Cecily, and suffering from hallucinations.” Dawn added.

“Spike, don’t do this,” Dawn pleaded, backing away, her gaze riveted to the stake in his hand.

“Why not, Bit?” He hopped over the chair and she screamed, running upstairs and locking herself in the bathroom. He kicked the door and it cracked.

“It isn’t real, Spike! It’s not real!”

“Isn’t real?” Spike echoed. Dawn screamed when the door splintered. “What’s more real, Dawn?”

Dawn looked around, searching for a way out. There was only the window.

“What’s more real, Dawn?! That I’m a successful writer married to Cecily Addams in London, suffering from hallucinations and scaring my wife?”

Dawn shrieked as Spike’s foot went through the door.

“Or that I’m a one hundred twenty two year old vampire that lives on a Hellmouth and fell in love with a vampire slayer whose best friend is a witch and whose sister is an inter-dimensional key?”


“I can imagine how well that turned out.” Giles commented dryly.

“He tried to burn down the house, with everyone inside.” Buffy deadpanned.

“Well.” Giles cleared his throat. “Xander and Anya.”

“All we know is from Anya. And that’s that Xander left after telling her that he didn’t want to be the one that hurt her.” Dawn said, uncomfortable (what with Anya being right downstairs).

“And then there’s Tara.” Buffy said. “She di…she’s dead.”

“Dead?” Giles echoed. He left for a year and everything fell apart. If he could, he’d certainly go back in time and rethink his decision to leave. “What happened?”

“The First Evil. I-I knew I recognized the robed figures, but now I realize exactly. They attacked us at the shop and killed Tara.” Buffy said as the pieces, including her dream, came together perfectly in her head.

“The First Evil. Buffy, what makes you think it’s the First Evil? And if so, why is it back?”

“I had a dream. A prophetic dream. The First was telling me what Drusilla did. And then…there were various things, showing me. The reason the First is here, is because of what Drusilla did in the first place.”

“And what did Drusilla do?”

“There’s only one thing that would interest the First,” Anya said and the other three turned to look at the once-again demon (not that they knew that), wondering how long she’d been standing there.

She walked behind the counter and bent down to a drawer. Three was a rustling of keys, jangling as Anya searched for the right one.

She unlocked the drawer and pulled out a heavy tome. She hefted it into her arms and carried it over to the reading table, then dropping it in front of Giles.

“What’s that?” Dawn asked.

“It’s the only book that can list every possible ritual there is…well except those in that belong to Wolfram and Hart, but they get anything so-“

“Where did you get this?” Giles cut her off, looking through the book with more than mild interest.

Anya looked more than put off at being interrupted. “Krissy got it. Probably off the black market. She told me to keep it safe here.” She answered in a disgruntled (at being cut off) voice. “What Drusilla did is probably the Latin one that generally means the Gift.” The other three stared at her. “I was bored and read the book last night. It’s not like Krissy and I have lesbian sex.”

There was no reply on the last point.

Ut Tribuo Donum. To be literal, it means ‘to give the gift’. It’s defined as when a sire commits…well, suicide, but with a short-and very difficult-ritual, they can strip the vampire they sired of all weaknesses and ensure immortality beyond that of a normal vampire. Invincibility is more like it.”

“And Drusilla actually gave all that to Spike?” Buffy asked.

“Yes.”

&


Xander wouldn’t come to the meeting, nervous that Anya would be there. Anya wouldn’t come, not wanting to take the chance that Xander would decide to show up. In short, both Xander and Anya had opted out. Not that anyone was so sure that it was a good thing that they were both absent, Xander having returned to the apartment across the hall from Krissy and Anya.

Willow spent the time with Krissy, who had offered to help her with “Spike duty” again, and both were therefore not at the meeting (which meant it was only a trio of Buffy, Giles and Dawn). The two just talked, about everything and anything-sometimes nothing. All they really had to do was make sure that he did not at any point start talking to people who weren’t there, or attack anyone. It made it a pretty boring night if one didn’t have company.

“How old are you?” Willow asked curiously as Krissy looked through the kitchen and helped her make a shopping list. Yes, they had become that bored throughout the day; after the first day, they’d virtually run out of things to talk about. Willow almost knew Krissy as well as she knew Buffy or Xander.

“Um…I’d be considered eighteen in this dimension.” She said. “Oh, hey-no sugar.”

“In this dimension?” Willow echoed, writing “sugar” on the list. So maybe she didn’t know Krissy all that well. “You’re not human?”

“No, I’m not. Where I’m from, in my home dimension, I’m one hundred forty-four years old. Already a widow, actually.”

“Widow as in married and your husband died?” Willow asked, feeling kind of disappointed, and then guilty. Tara had only died a few short weeks ago and she already had this feeling of attraction towards Krissy, who as obviously very interested in guys, being a widow and everything.

Krissy smiled a bit, thinking about the one she lost five decades ago. “Yes, but I’m not partial, if that’s what you’re wondering.”

Willow choked on her sip of water. “What could I have been wondering?”

“You tell me. My people aren’t strict about orientation.” Krissy said. “It also helps that my brother’s in a place of power…”

“Oh. Is he…?” Willow made this gesture with her hand, her mind filled with wonderment. She had no ideas that Krissy’s dimension was perfect, but it was close enough. And if any of the girls were like Krissy…she stopped at the thought.

“Oh. Oh no. He’s completely hetero.” Krissy said, smiling. “When I was a century and he was plus sixteen, we went out to a party and I received more advances than him. I still tease him about it, and you can too-that is, unless his wife’s around. She’s very jealous and over-protective.”

“You’d take me there?” Willow asked, better enough to take another sip of her water. She was surrendering to her curiosity to see this place in person. See if it was real.

Krissy looked at Willow, a smile gracing her face; Willow returned it. Something fluttered in her stomach as grey eyes met green. She wondered how her family would take Willow. “I think I can manage that.”

&


He’d decided to stay in one place, to sit and not say anything, not do anything, and maybe, they’d all go away. All the voices, all the…noise. He wouldn’t make a sound, promise. He’d say not one word; he’d be a good boy, obedient. A good boy, just like his mum taught him. And, maybe, they’d all go away, and it’d be okay. He’d just sit, and be quiet, and not
This story archived at http://https://spikeluver.com/SpuffyRealm/viewstory.php?sid=5438