American Superstar...Guess which blonde you are? by dearwillow
Summary: Buffy Summers is an aspiring singer who just won the last slot of finalist on American Superstar. What will happen when she runs into harsh british judge William 'Spike' Giles. Will her voice be reconized or will Spike get the best of the audience.
Categories: Fantasy/AU Characters: None
Genres: Romance
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: No Word count: 5674 Read: 4280 Published: 11/24/2006 Updated: 11/27/2006

1. The show where anything goes by dearwillow

2. sexy singers and water by dearwillow

3. chapter 3- mistakes involving rent by dearwillow

The show where anything goes by dearwillow
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: I don't own anything.
Chapter 1-The show where anything goes

Dear diary,
I am so excited. Today is the day. I got a spot in the top ten on American Superstar. I am so excited. I can’t believe I made it this far. All of my friends and family are watching me on the T.V. And hey, I’m on T.V. that is so awesome. As for that British, cocky, platinum, judge…Spike. Well he’s got something coming. In the first audition he said I wouldn’t make it. He said my fashion sense and I quote ‘is like Courtney Love on a good day’. After I sang he still looked at me in disgust and voted no. Luckily, Tara and Xander, the other to judges had my back. They both told me yes in a heartbeat. So today I’m singing “I turn to you” by Christina Aguilera. That song is dedicated to my mom. I miss her so much. Anyway they called us to get in the van so I talked to you later.

(7:00pm Friday July 28th, American Superstar studio)

“Buffy, that sounded awesome” the voice coach looked at Buffy as she finished the last note of her song and applauded lightly.

“Thanks Linda, I just hope they like it.” Buffy drank some of her tea with honey.

“I’m sure they will. Now hurry up you have to get to wardrobe and makeup. You have an hour.”

“Right…I just hope Harmony’s not in the chair again. I almost went out there with mascara on my mouth and blush in my eye. We had to rush so quickly.”

“Well your not gonna get any faster talking to me.” The older lady said.

“Right” Buffy walked out of the studio w/ one last ‘thank you’ on the way out.

After about 20 minutes Winifred “Fred” Burkle got out of the makeup chair and watched as Buffy got her makeup on.

“What are you singing today Buffy?” Said the shy brunette

“’I turn to you by Christina Aguilera for my mom. What about you?”

“Oh I’m singing ‘I will always love you’ by Whitney Houston”

“Tough song” Buffy looked at Fred with uncertainty.

“Don’t worry I nailed the bridge and everything.”

“Well I don’t know about you guys by I am going to sing ‘It’s all coming back to me now’ by Celine Dion.” Cordelia Chase said as she walked up in a tight knee length black dress. Cordelia was so confident in herself, but in reality out of all of the final ten she sang the worst.

Then Harmony who came skipping over singing ‘Don’t Speak’ by No Doubt looked at Buffy then the makeup lady and said in a rude way “Are you done yet, Summers. Everyone here knows that no amount of makeup can help you look good…or sound good.” She crossed her arms over her chest and stared Buffy up and down. Fred, Cordelia, and the makeup lady were all in shock by Harmony’s insult.
“I’m done Harmony” Buffy said as she got out of the chair “and as much cleavage as you can cover with your arms, your boobs won’t look any less fake.” Buffy looked at Harmony, thanked the makeup lady and left for wardrobe.

“You got told” Cordelia said to Harmony and followed Buffy.

At 7:50, the top ten were in the back of the stage waiting for their introductions.

“This is always the most nervous part of the show don’t you think?” Charles Gunn tried to make small talk w/ Angel, the jackass of the group.

“Who’s nervous? Only little losers who can’t sing are nervous. I on the other hand know that I’m gonna win this competition. Hear that everyone?” Everyone got quiet as they listened to the tall brunette talk “I don’t know why you’re all wasting your time I will win this contest. I was professionally taught by—“

“Michael Bolton and met the Backstreet Boys, we know!” Everyone finished excessively repeated story. Then, the lights dimmed as Jenny Calendar started to announce the contestants one by one.

“You saw them all audition and now it is time for you to start voting, America. On the only show where anything goes, tonight you’re gonna see 10 people pour their hearts out to you in song so let’s get a good look at them first. So come on out Fred, Charles or Gunn, Angel, Buffy, Cordelia, Harmony, Anya, Doyle, Wesley, and Connor!” Everyone came out one by one and lined up across the stage. “These are your American Superstar final ten. So let’s take a few minutes to consult our expert panel of judges.

First, record producer, Xander Harris how are you Xander?” Everyone applauded.

“I’m good, Jenny I’m very excited to be here tonight.” Xander gave a dashing smile.

“That’s good…and to our next judge Ms. Tara McClay, producer and singer. How are you tonight Tara?”

Tara took a sip of her water, “I’m excellent tonight Jenny. How are you?”

“I’m great, Tara thank you for asking.”

“And to our final judge producer, singer, and director, William “Spike” Giles, how are you tonight?”

The audience booed him.

“Oh shut up” Spike looked around at the audience then to Jenny “I’m good tonight”

“I’m going to ask you: how do you feel about our final ten?”

“Some of them are excellent. Others I believe don’t belong here.”

“Could you perhaps give us a name or two of who doesn’t belong?” Jenny loved to pry for information. She’s America’s favorite drama starter.

“Well…to be brutally honest...I don’t think Cordelia needs to be here or Buffy.” The audience booed loudly someone even yelled ‘asshole’.

“What do you think about that Buffy” Jenny held the microphone to Buffy’s mouth.
“I think that Spike is in for a big surprise then. He hasn’t liked me from the very beginning, but I promise that Spike is gonna be in for the shock of his life tonight.” Buffy smiled as she finished her defense. The audience cheered.

“Well on that wonderful note let’s go to a commercial and we’ll be back for singing.”

“And cut!” The director yelled

All finalists went back into the back to get ready to perform.

“Damn Buffy you got shut down out there.” Gunn said

“Like I said ‘Buffy equals big surprise for Spike tonight’ I am gonna do what I do best.”

After Buffy got changed into her new outfit she watched Cordelia perform. Buffy admitted to herself that Cordelia sounded pretty good tonight. The judges gave her high marks except Spike who made a comment about her clothing and told her she belonged on a cruise ship as the janitor. Cordelia started crying a bit as she walked off of the stage.

“Whoa that was harsh” Anya said “But he was right although I would’ve said she sounded like a whale looking for a way home.”

Buffy looked at Anya, “You are so rude.”

Anya nodded her head and smiled, “Yes I know” Buffy made her way on the darkened stage.

Out on stage in the spotlight Jenny was introducing Buffy “And now Buffy Summers singing ‘I turn to you’ Christina Aguilera.”

A loud applause busted throughout the room as the lights brightened to reveal Buffy sitting on the steps as the music started.

When I'm lost in the rain, in your eyes I know I'll find the light
to light my way. And when I'm scared,
And losing ground,
when my world is going crazy,
you can turn it all around.
And when I'm down you're there
- pushing me to the top.
You're always there,
giving me all you've got.
For a shield from the storm,
for a friend, for a love
to keep me safe and warm
I turn to you.
For the strength to be strong,
for the will to carry on
for everything you do,
for everything that's true
I turn to you.
When I lose the will to win,
I just reach for you and
I can reach the sky again.
I can do anything
'Cause your love is so amazing,
'Cause your love inspires me.
And when I need a friend,
You're always on my side
Giving me faith
taking me through the night
For a shield from the storm,
For a friend, for a love
to keep me safe and warm
I turn to you.
For the strength to be strong,
for the will to carry on
for everything you do,
for everything that's true
I turn to you.
For the arms to be my shelter
through all the rain,
For truth that will never change,
For someone to lean on,
For a heart I can rely on through anything,
For that one who I can run to...
For a shield from the storm,
For a friend, for a love
to keep me safe and warm
I turn to you
For the strength to be strong,
For the will to carry on
For everything you do,
for everything that's true
I turn to you.
For a shield from the storm,
for a friend, for a love
to keep me safe and warm
I turn to you.
For the strength to be strong,
for the will to carry on
for everything you do,
for everything that's true
I turn to you.
I turn to you...

Jenny walked over to Buffy while applauding. “My god Buffy that was amazing. You also look amazing give us a turn.”

Buffy spun around in her v-cut white knee length dress that revealed a bit of cleavage and flowed at the bottom.

“It’s very beautiful Buffy.”

“My mom made it for me. Hi, mom I love you.” Buffy smiled and waved at the camera.

“Hi Buffy’s mom and now we need to get to our judges. “Tara, you first.”

Tara wiped some tears away, “That was so amazing and your mother should be very proud of you. If you don’t win this competition I’ll be shocked.”

“Thank you” Buffy said

“How about you Xander, What did you think?” Jenny asked

“Well, there was some pitch problems in the beginning, but you came back and nailed it, this competition was made for you. Just watch your pitch.” Xander smiled

“Spike, what did you think?”

Spike was silent as he stared at Buffy a bit, “It’s a good song, but it wasn’t for you.” As the audience started to boo he said “hold on a minute…you look very nice today, but that was not good at all.”

“Come on Spike you badger Buffy every week she’s a good singer” Xander said as he looked down the table at Spike.

“Quiet Harris” Spike replied “all I’m saying is the girl can’t sing. Buffy you are a silly, talent-less, bint who will never make it past the karaoke bar.”

Jenny looked at Buffy who was staring at Spike, “Do you have a response to that?”

“Well Jenny I think Spike has been watching a completely different show then.” The audience was on their feet applauding.

“Or maybe you’re just in the wrong competition.” Spike said back.

“Or maybe you’re just not up with today’s music Billy Idol wannabe.” Buffy walked off the stage with a smile on her face. The audience laughed as Spike’s mouth hung open.

“Oh my well I have to say that kitten has claws huh, audience?” The audience was still laughing. “Ok well let’s bring out Doyle singing ‘Iris’ by the Goo Goo Dolls.”
sexy singers and water by dearwillow
Author's Notes:
I got some great reviews on my first day. It felt great so thanks to all those people who reviewed. thank you for the thoughts and critics. I'm trying to find a different beta because my other one kind of ditched me so if anyone knows any good betas help me out please.
Chapter 2-sexy singers and water

Dear Diary,
The rest of the night was pretty quiet. Doyle was absolutely perfect singing the Goo Goo Doll that he dedicated to his wife. But I could’ve gone without hearing Angel’s ‘Copacabana’. Barry Manilow would’ve been disappointed. Tonight is when all of the votes start flying in to determine who is going home tomorrow. I really hope it’s not me, but I think the audience really likes me. I hope America does too. I know I can rely on Sunnydale to cast their votes. I’m really excited and nervous –

“Hey Buffy” Anya walked into the room without knocking at all.

Buffy closed her diary quickly, “Geez Anya knock much?”

“My parents always told me that knocking was polite, but everyone else tells me I’m impolite and rude so I’m being rebellious tonight, but tomorrow I’ll knock.”

Buffy looked at the girl in a weird way, “Ok, do what do you want?”

“Well all of us are going down to a local club downtown and wanted to see if you wanted to go.”

“Oh umm yeah I’ll go give me a few minutes to get changed.”

“Ok, but hurry up or we’ll leave you.”

“Ok” as Anya walked out Buffy got back on her bed and opened her diary.

Wow sorry I got interrupted by Anya. Anyway I’m excited and nervous about tomorrow night. I have to go I’m going to have a drink with some of the contestants. If I remember tonight and not get completely wasted I’ll tell you about it.

(9:00pm outside the hotel.)

“Is everyone here?” Cordelia said

“Well Angel’s not, but is he really a person?” Gunn asked

Everyone laughed “Well he knows where he’s going if he wants to see us. What about Harmony?” Cordelia asked

“She said she was sick.” Anya shrugged.

“Oh well no big loss let’s get out of here.” Doyle said

(9:20pm - Fridays at Basque)

Doyle was playing bartender by getting everyone their drinks. Cordelia and Anya were dancing. Connor, Wes, Gunn, Fred, and Buffy were sitting in the back of the club.

“This place is nice Wes.” Buffy complimented

“Yeah I heard about it from a friend.” Wes smiled

“This is also one of the best known clubs in L.A.” Fred said

“It is nice” Doyle said as he walked up with their drinks.

Cordelia and Anya walked over as the song playing ended.

“Did anyone here about the band that usually plays here?” Anya asked as she walked up.

“Something like ‘Dingoes Ate My Baby’” Connor said

“Oh ‘Dingoes Ate My Baby’” Buffy answered “Why? Are they playing tonight?”

Cordelia pointed to the stage as the band was setting up.

“Guess so” Buffy answered her own question.

The ten finalist watched as the band started to set up.

“This band is really good. I heard them play a few times in Sunnydale my friend knows the lead guitarist.” Buffy started thinking about her best friend, Willow they have been best friends for basically their whole lives. Buffy and Willow met Oz at a charity fund for an orphanage. Oz and Willow had dated for a while until he cheated on her. The band started playing and Buffy was brought out of her thoughts by the lead singer’s voice.

“Oh hello salty goodness” Cordelia moved her chair up to looked at the lead singer.

“They must’ve replaced Devin.” Buffy commented

“Who’s Devin?” Fred asked

“He was the old lead singer of the group.” Buffy told her.

The lead singer was dressed in all black and had a black hat on covering his face.

“What’s with the hat?” Connor said

“It adds affect. It makes the illusion better.” Doyle said

As the band started the chorus the lead singer kept his head down singing straight into the microphone.

“He’s really sexy.” Anya said “He’d give someone a real good orgasm.”

“Like he’s not now” Cordelia stared at the sexy singer as everyone gave her a weird look and moved their seats away from her a bit. Just ask the band got done with the song and the singer said ‘thank you’ and walked off the stage, Harmony walked in with huge sunglasses on and stepped right in front of the singer.

“Hey honey” She said

“Not now Harm I gotta get ready for another song.”

“But I want to spend some time with you.” She raised her voice a little. Most of the club didn’t care or hear her, but the eight in the back did.

“That must be her boyfriend.” Wesley said

“Of course it is…she probably paid for him.” Fred said

Harmony kissed the singer and whispered in his ear. The secret boyfriend smiled then wrapped his arms around her waist as he kissed her grabbed four waters and start to walk away. As he did Harmony playfully pulled his hat off. Before anyone could blink the singer was on the floor getting his hat forgetting about the waters that spilled on the ground. The aspiring singers at the table gasped at what they saw.

“Oh my gosh” Fred said

“Spike” said Cordelia almost fainted before she could find her chair.

“And he’s dating Harmony” Gunn commented.

The small table was quiet as Spike put his hat on.

“Wow” Doyle said still in a state of shock.

“Is that legal?” Anya asked “A contestant isn’t allowed to give a judge many orgasms.”

“No I don’t believe so.” Wesley said

“Everyone run before they see us.” Cordelia said

Everyone quietly got out of their seats and briskly walked out of the club without looking back.

(10:05pm- hotel)
“Oh my god, oh my god” Fred was chanting while hyperventilating.

Wesley and Gunn were trying to help her breathe.

“I’m with Fred on this one, guys. That’s like fraternizing or something.” Cordelia said

“I don’t know about fraternizing, but it’s against the rules.” Connor corrected

“I can’t believe Harmony is sleeping with Spike!” Anya yelled

Buffy ran and put her hand over Anya’s mouth. “Quiet Anya, look guys, Fred calm down first.”

After the small girl’s breathing regulated everyone circled around Buffy. “Look guys I know what we saw tonight, but we can’t go around and blab it. We have to do something, but something that won’t be as noticeable to the judges or the producers. Just to get Harmony voted off next week so—“

“Wait” Gunn interrupted “You want us to help her. Buffy you of all people want to help her?”

“I know it’s crazy, but I don’t want to get involved with the press involved.” Buffy said

“I guess that makes sense.” Cordelia said

“So what’s the plan Buffy?” Doyle asked as he scratched his head.

“We completely screw over Harmony’s performance without being obvious. And I know how.” Buffy
smiled

(The Next Day, 9:30am, American Superstar Studio)
“Ok contestants we have a lot of work to do, so everyone follow me and keep up!” Chris, the stage choreographer, yelled.

Everyone was dressed up in dance attire and was stretching.

“Buffy” Fred walked over to talk to the blonde “Can we tell Angel? I mean should we tell him?”

“Yeah right” Cordelia whispered as she walked over “He’ll blab quicker than a snitch on death row.”

“Cordelia’s right” Doyle walked over while he kept stretching.

“Yeah I’m right.” Cordelia smiled

“Don’t get use to it.” Doyle said

“Alright people…stage choreography is a very important asset of a performer…only you will determine if you make it or break it. The ‘it’ being your leg in that last part. So keep up and we won’t have an issue.” Chris said. He started yelling out some easy steps that everyone could keep up with except Harmony.

“Maybe this plan will be easier than we thought.” Gunn said as he watched Harmony fall over her feet.

Buffy smiled, “maybe”

(7:30pm-backstage)
Buffy got the eight got together and prayed that everything would go as planned.

Out on stage Jenny walked out “Tonight one person will be going home, who is the person you voted out? Audience you decided and now it’s time to get the show rolling. Our theme tonight is musicals. All of your contestants will be singing any song from any type of musical, cartoon to classical. So let’s bring them out. America, your final ten!!”

Backstage Buffy looked at Cordelia “let’s do this.”
chapter 3- mistakes involving rent by dearwillow
Author's Notes:
I'm alittle scared now. I asked my friend to put in chapter two (never make that mistake again) and she put some stuff in the author's note that was very rude to my last beta. I was really upset with her. I read my reviews and figured out what happened , so here's what really happened with my beta. She beta'd my work and I think she got sick or she wasn't feeling well and it was out of her schedule which i understood so she beta'd my final chapters and we stopped talking. That's it. My personal apologies to anon. Hopefully she still likes me. I hate conflict. anyway here's chapter chapter 3.
Chapter 3 -- Mistakes involving Rent


The music started up and all the remaining contestants walked out onto the stage to begin their group number.

(Connor)
You make fun - yet I'm the one
Attempting, to do some good
Or do you really want a neighborhood
Where people piss on your
Stoop every night?
Bohemia, Bohemia's
A fallacy in your head
This is Calcutta,
Bohemia is dead

*Everyone except Harmony and Angel looks at each other and briefly nods*

(Doyle)
Dearly beloved we gather here to say our goodbyes
Here she lies, no one knew her worth
The late great daughter of Mother Earth
On these nights when we
Celebrate the birth
In that little town of Bethlehem
We raise our glass - you bet your ass to -
La vie Boheme

(ALL)
La vie Boheme
*Gunn trips Harmony. Harmony trips down the steps. Doyle helps her up. Harmony is pissed off and brushes him off*

(Doyle)
To days of inspiration
Playing hooky, making
Something out of nothing
The need to express-
To communicate,
To going against the grain,
Going insane, going mad
To loving tension, no pension
To more than one dimension,
To starving for attention,
Hating convention, hating pretension
Not to mention of course,
Hating dear old Mom and Dad
To riding your bike,
Midday past the three-piece suits
To fruits - to no absolutes-
To Absolute - to choice-
To the Village Voice-
To any passing fad
To being an us for once ... instead of a them!!

(ALL)
La vie Boheme, La vie Boheme

(Angel)
So that's five miso soup, four seaweed salad
Three soy burger dinner, two tofu dog platter
And one pasta with meatless balls

(Wes)
Eww

(Gunn)
It tastes the same

(Cordelia)
If you close your eyes

(Angel)
And thirteen orders of fries
Is that it here?

(ALL)
Wine and beer!

*Cordelia slightly pushes Harmony causing her mic to move away from her mouth*

Made in local breweries
To yoga, to yogurt, to rice and beans and cheese
To leather, to dildos, to curry vindaloo
To huevos rancheros and Maya Angelou

*Harmony trips over Cordelia’s foot then runs into Gunn*

(Buffy & Gunn)
Emotion, devotion, to causing a commotion
Creation, vacation

(Doyle)
Mucho masturbation

(Buffy & Gunn)
Compassion, to fashion, to passion when it's new

(Gunn)
To Sontag

(Harmony)
To Sondheim

*Harmony trips over Cordelia’s foot, then ran into Gunn.*

(Buffy)
To the stage

(All)
To Uta. To Buddha. Pablo Neruda, too.

(Doyle & Cordelia)
Why Dorothy and Toto went over the rainbow
To blow off Auntie Em

(Doyle, Harmony & Cordelia)
Bisexuals, trisexuals, homo sapiens,
Carcinogens, hallucinogens, men,
Pee Wee Herman
German wine, turpentine, Gertrude Stein
Antoniotti, Bertolucci, Kurosawa
Carmina Burana

(ALL)
To apathy, to entropy, to empathy, ecstasy
Vaclav Havel - The Sex Pistols, BBC
To no shame - never playing the Fame Game

(Gunn)
To marijuana

*Buffy pushes her arm into Harmony and then stands in front of her*

(Wes)
I've been trying - I'm not lying
No one's perfect. I've got baggage

(Cordelia)
Life's too short, babe, time is flying
I'm looking for baggage that goes with mine

(Wes)
I should tell you

(Cordelia)
I got baggage too

(Wes)
I should tell you

(Wes & Cordelia)
Baggage

*Everyone runs in front of Harmony as she falls to the ground*

(ALL)
Wine and beer!

Everyone leaves the stage.

“Well that was amazing guys. Harmony, I hope you straighten up tonight.”

Meanwhile, backstage Harmony was furious. “What the hell is wrong with you people!!” she screamed.

Everyone looked at her incredulously. Cordelia stepped up, “What do you mean, Harmony?”

“You people are trying to destroy me! You were tripping me over and everything,” she whined.

“Harm, you’re delusional,” Cordelia looked at her then walked away.

“No,” Harmony walked to the rest of the group while grabbing Cordelia on the way. “I want to know what you guys are doing this for. Is it because I’m good competition?”

Wesley laughed and said, “Hardly.”

“And we didn’t try to destroy your act. Maybe you just have 2 left feet,” Buffy said.

Harmony got frustrated and walked away.

“What the hell is her problem?” Angel asked.

“I dunno, Angel. Maybe you should go check,” Doyle suggested.

“Maybe I will.” Angel looked at everyone, than walked away.

Buffy smiled as everyone started to quietly laugh and tell each other ‘good job’.

“Okay, Buffy. So plan A is done. So we start plan B now?” Connor asked.

“Well, Harmony goes on after Doyle tonight and I’m on after her. Okay. If we want this to work we have to do it fast. If Doyle’s on first tonight then that gives us a bit of time. So Cordy and Anya, I need you guys to distract the guy securing the sound room. While you guys do that, Gunn and Connor, I need you guys to run inside the sound truck. Since there are only two people in there, you guys can get them out pretty easy. Tell them a camera man wants to see them. As soon as
they’re out lock the door and start playing with buttons and gears. Make sure you put the gears and stuff back to their normal level.”

“Oh that sounds like fun.” Connor said.

“But make sure that Doyle is off stage first,” Buffy said. “Then as Harmony is finishing her final notes you guys haul ass and get out of there.”

“But won’t the sound guys be back before then? I mean, they’ll hear it out on stage,” Wesley asked.

“Yes. And that’s where you, me, and Doyle come in. We are gonna show that our talent isn’t only singing. We have to distract the sound guys so they don’t get to the truck,” Buffy explained.

“What about me, Buffy?” Fred asked.

“You have to watch Harmony perform and look out for security. If they start coming your way you gotta run as fast as possible and tell Cordelia; then Cordelia you get Anya and go get Gunn and Connor out of the sound truck,” Buffy said.

“Okay, so summarize this...” Gunn said.

“Okay. Cordy and Anya are distracting the guard. Gunn and Connor are going into the truck and getting the sound guys out and Wes, Doyle, and I are going to distract the sound guys from coming back. Fred is going
to stand backstage and see if security is on their way back. If they are then Fred will send the signal to Cordelia who tells Gunn to get out.” Buffy re-explained. “Everyone clear?”

“Wait. Do we have walkie talkies or something?” Wes asked.

“Nope, this is all done by running,” Buffy answered with a slight smile.

“But I failed gym,” Connor said.

“It’s alright, Connor. I’m sure you’ll manage,” Anya patted his back.

“So is everyone okay now?”

Everyone nodded and got to their positions as Doyle was getting called out. As Doyle left for the stage, Fred walked over to Buffy. “I hope you know what you’re doing.”

Buffy looked at Fred. “I’m not sure if I do, but I hope it works,” Buffy smiled.


Chapter 4 -- Plan B for Busted


Out by the sound truck Cordelia fixed her makeup. “Are you ready Anya?”

“Define ready?” Anya looked at her. Cordelia just laughed and started to walk over to the security guard. “Hey.”

The guard looked at her and smiled. “Hey.”

“Um, I was wondering if you could help me and my…sister out. Anya come here.”

Anya decided to act dumb and walked over while twirling her hair. “Um, hi.”

The guard was intrigued. “So what can I help you ladies with?”

“Well my sister has um…Animal Fever.” Cordelia prayed that the guard believed her.

“Animal Fever? I’ve never heard of it.” The guard looked at Cordelia then Anya.

Anya looked at Cordelia, who had a worried look on her face. Then she started barking. Cordelia looked at Anya in shock. The guard jumped a bit and moved back.

Cordelia finally got what Anya was doing, “Oh, yeah...um…down Anya down!” Anya started mooing like a cow while jumping like a kangaroo.

“What the hell is she on?”’ the guard asked as Cordelia was trying to control Anya, who was still jumping up and down, but this time she was making monkey noises.

“She’s not on anything. I told you, it’s Animal Fever.” Cordelia explained. Then Anya broke away from Cordelia and started to run.

“Oh my gosh, Anya come back! Please help me.” Cordelia looked at the guard.

“Fine I’ll help,” he said as he started to run with Cordelia not too far behind him.

Connor and Gunn were hiding in the bushes as the girls and the security guard ran off.

“Okay let’s go,” Connor said as they started running to the sound truck. Gunn knocked on the door. One of the sound people came out of the truck.

“Can I help you?”

“Yeah. Um, Lenny the camera guy asked for you.”

“Oh okay…wait. Why did he send contestants?” the sound guy asked.

“He couldn’t get you on the walkie,” Gunn said.

“Oh, okay. Um, well can you watch my truck? My partner isn’t here today.”

Gunn looked at Connor and said, “Sure.”

“Thanks,” the sound guy ran into the studio as Connor and Gunn ran into the truck and locked the door. Gunn looked at the monitor. “Okay, Doyle just got off stage.”

“Okay,” Connor started looking at the buttons. “Let’s start pressing buttons.”

Inside, Buffy and Wes saw Doyle come off stage and saw the sound guy run by.

“Well something’s going right,” Buffy said as she looked at Wesley.

“Good.” Wes smiled.

Out on stage, Harmony was getting ready to start singing. Fred was watching Harmony and watching security also. Harmony started singing:

Look at me
You may think you see
Who I really am
But you’ll never know me
Every day, is as if I play apart
Now I see

*Mic goes high pitched so that Harmony sounds like a mouse*

If I wear a mask
I can fool the world
But I can not fool
My heart

*Mic gets deepened and Harmony starts looking around nervously*

Who is that girl I see
Staring straight back at me?
When will my reflection show
Who I am inside?
I am now

*Mic goes back to normal and Harmony smiles*

In a world where I have to
Hide my heart
And what I believe in
But somehow
I will show the world
What’s inside my heart

*Pitch goes from high to low*

And be loved for who I am
Who is that girl I see
Staring straight back at me?
Why is my reflection
Someone I don’t know?
Must I pretend that I’m
someone else for all time?
When will my reflection show
Who I am inside?
There’s a heart that must

*Pitch is back to normal and Harmony starts yelling into the mic*

Be free to fly
That burns with a need
To know the reason why
Why must we all conceal
What we think
How we feel
Must there be a secret me
I’m forced to hide?

*Pitch goes wavy*

I won’t pretend that I’m
Someone else
For all time
When will my reflections show
Who I am inside?

*Harmony screams as the mic goes back to normal*

When will my reflections show
Who I am inside?

The audience was silent.

“Um... well that was…Xander what did you think?” Jenny asked.

“Well. Harmony…I know I might be a little Spike-ish on this, but—“

“It was bloody horrible and I guarantee you’ll be out this week?” Spike responded. “Yeah, that’s something I would say.”

“Right, what he said,” Xander said.

“Well, I’m sure America agrees. Tara what did you think?” Jenny asked

“Well…it was a noble effort.” Tara smiled at Harmony.

“That wasn’t me.” Harmony yelled into Jenny’s mic. “Something was wrong with the microphone.” Harmony whined

“Yeah that’s what they all say my dear thank you.” Jenny pushed Harmony to the back of the stage and smiled at the audience.

Meanwhile, Buffy, Wes and Doyle were talking to the sound guy.

“Look, I really gotta get back to my truck,” the guy complained.

“Well, seriously. Who do you think is going to win?” Buffy put her hands on her hips.

“I don’t know—“

Fred cut off the sound guy. “Stop playing with the guy. Buffy you need to get out on stage.” Fred gave the blonde a brief smile.

“What about the guys?” Buffy asked as she gave her knowing look.

“They’re fine,” Fred said. “So you might want to hurry up.”

“Right” Buffy ran away as Gunn, Anya, Cordelia, and Connor walked up.

“She did it,” Doyle said.

“Yeah, she did. Let’s just hope it pays off.” Cordelia said as they all turned to look at Buffy who was going out on stage.

“It probably won’t” Anya said as everyone looked at her. “What it’s true.”

“Way to be optimistic” Wesley stated dully

“Gunn, did you put the mic back to normal?” Fred asked as she looked at him.

Gunn looked at Connor. “Oops,” they both said.

They all started running to the sound truck as an unsuspecting Buffy was called to the stage.
This story archived at http://https://spikeluver.com/SpuffyRealm/viewstory.php?sid=23005