Rotten Apples by rollastar
Summary: Buffy's a bit of a shrew; cold, bitter and thoroughly distrusting of men. When her stepsister arrives in town, all the men suddenly come flocking but Buffy foils their attempts. Fed up, the men rally and decide Buffy needs a dose of her own medicine so they enlist the help of a "specialist" to woo this wild cat. Freely adapted from Shakespeare's "Taming of the Shrew".
Categories: General Fics Characters: None
Genres: Romance
Warnings: Adult Language, Sexual Situations
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 9 Completed: No Word count: 30598 Read: 10185 Published: 10/26/2010 Updated: 12/24/2010

1. The Induction by rollastar

2. Wonder Full by rollastar

3. The Calm Before... by rollastar

4. The Storm by rollastar

5. Will You, Nill You by rollastar

6. Beware My Sting by rollastar

7. Goodly Company by rollastar

8. Sharp and Passing Empty by rollastar

9. A Spirit to Resist by rollastar

The Induction by rollastar
Author's Notes:
This is the first story I've posted here, so please be gentle! Even if you are familiar with Taming of the Shrew, I can promise lots of Spuffy goodness and UST.
Buffy Summers was just about as cruel as she was beautiful. No one particularly knew why she was indeed “such a bitch” though everyone who had encountered her ventured a guess.

One theory, was that she came from a broken home; the kind that Lifetime movies are made of. Complete with neglectful fathers and complacent mothers, displaced sexual deviance and trouble with authority.

Another theory, spun off from the idea of questionable sexual acts and authority issues; was that she’d spent time in jail after high school. Though how she was now in college seemed to escape certain theorists.

Finally, there was the theory that Buffy was merely a spoiled, little rich girl; who particularly enjoyed just being mean. As if she thought the whole world was beneath her and therefore prime for her wrath.

The truth most closely resembled the first theory, though a little less with the melodrama and more with the regular drama. Her parents got divorced when she was fifteen and her father had promptly gotten remarried to the woman he was having an affair with. Her mother, Joyce, had immersed herself in work full-time after that, rarely seeing her daughter and yet somehow increasing demands over Buffy’s life. Joyce had forbid Buffy from dating after the divorce. Apparently, dating only leads to marriage, which only leads to heartache and divorce, therefore…

At first, Buffy’s fifteen year-old self was devastated, lashing out at her mother. Over time however, Buffy turned her fury onto her father, blaming him for Joyce’s distrust in men. Eventually, her anger morphed into a brand of righteousness. Buffy became untouchable, and the more she was pursued, the more she began to enjoy rebuking the offers. Naturally, potential suitors became fewer and far between as Buffy’s wretched reputation grew and accordingly, the avoider became the avoidee.

Buffy had settled well into her status as ice queen, And as Buffy now began her senior year of college, she was more determined than ever to never become a victim like her mother had.

That was the plan…unfortunately for Buffy…other things would get in the way…

“Holy Cheese Whiz!” the brown haired boy exclaimed, slamming his body into the metal railing as a green jeep went sailing past him. Xander Harris watched with equal parts annoyance and fear as his would-be assailant’s vehicle came to a screeching halt.

“Precious cargo here!” Xander bravely squawked.

Having parked the jeep haphazardly within the provided parking space, the driver finally emerged.

Xander’s eyes widened in panic when he saw her. Furiously, he untangled himself from the railing he’d been previously clinging to and started for the steps when he heard her footsteps behind him.

He spun back around to face the approaching girl; schooling his face into the most contrite expression he could muster. He opened his mouth to speak but the girl just breezed past him without so much as a glance.

He snapped his jaw shut once more and snickered; shaking his head at his ridiculous behavior before the tiny blonde’s voice suddenly caught his attention.

“Gawk at me again, Harris,” the girl threatened, “And next time I’ll actually run you over.”

And with that, she was off again, heading into the throng of students. Xander meanwhile, was left ironically gawking at the sheer frost of interaction he’d just experienced.

“She’s such a bitch,” came the sudden reply. Xander turned to see Willow Rosenburg standing behind him, shaking her head in disapproval.

Xander whistled at his best friend’s language before wrapping a lazy arm around her shoulders. Willow took his gesture as motivation to begin climbing the steps toward campus. As they continued further down the sidewalk, Xander shook his head once more and sighed, “What did I ever do to her?”

“She’s just acting out. Professor Walsh says women like Buffy have entitlement issues due to absent parental figures, particular of the paternal persuasion,” Willow spewed carelessly.

And not for the first time that day, Xander gawked. “Geez, Wills, ya think you’ve taken Psych 101 enough times?”

Willow blushed, suddenly embarrassed by her automated regurgitation.

“Sorry? “ she offered with a shrug. “But it’s true…” she added under her breath.

“Do you think Buffy really spent time in prison?” Xander wondered absently, “Ya think she’s got any tattoos?”

“I think we’ve just put our finger on why she doesn’t like you…” Willow sighed as Xander continued on without regard to Willow’s comment.

“…like barbed wire around her bicep…or like, “Bertha’s boy toy” on the small of her back…”

“You spend an awful lot of time thinking about someone you supposedly hate…” Willow sang.

Xander finally snapped out of his daydream monologue and halted his steps to scowl at his friend.

“She scares me, but I’m not blind, Willow. She’s a hottie. A scary hottie...and I find it strangely arousing. Terrifying, but arousing…”

Willow sighed and patted Xander on the head, “You’re such a boy,” she teased.

Xander returned her gesture with a goofy grin before his eyes widened comically.

Willow removed her hand from his head with concern, “Xander? What is it?”

“Merciful Zeus…” he barely squeaked as Willow turned around to see what had caught Xander’s attention.

“Oh…” Willow mumbled, now with full comprehension. Walking toward them was certainly quite the specimen. Long, brown hair fell on tan shoulders while a mouthful of dazzling white teeth were flashed as the girl passed by a few other students en route to class. Toned and long, bronzed legs carried the girl along the sidewalk with each step as she got closer and closer.

Even Willow had to admit the girl was certainly a looker. Not even remotely her type, but even her normally passive girlfriend Tara would be visibly ruffled by Willow’s appreciation of this gorgeous newcomer.

For his part, Xander was typically in swoon-mode and was once more catching flies with his jaw hung low as the girl in question finally approached him and his red-haired friend.

“You two look like you know where you’re going,” the girl announced, granting them her mega-watt smile.

“It’s to pleasure your meat,” Xander blurted out, supplying the girl with an extended hand and his own toothy grin.

Willow snickered and extended her own hand to the girl, “Hi, I’m Willow Rosenburg.”

The girl, still staring at the brunette boy’s strange greeting, rolled her eyes before accepting Willow’s hand and introducing herself, “Cordelia Chase.”

“This is Xander…Harris,” Willow supplied apologetically.

“Meet your pleasure,” Xander dumbly attempted again.

“Okay…” Cordelia said hesitantly.

Willow cleared her throat and not-so-subtly jabbed Xander in the ribs before addressing the pretty brunette once more, “You said we looked like we knew where—“

“Oh, right! Yes, I’m new. Just transferred…I have no idea where my next class is…”

Cordelia perused her printed schedule as Willow spared a glance to Xander who had thankfully stopped trying to talk but was now eyeing the new girl up and down.

“They said head to the center of the quad and look for the square building…” Cordelia continued, still checking the paper and oblivious to Xander’s ogling.

Willow however was not so oblivious and once more elbowed the boy’s side.

“Ow!” Xander cried, startled. Willow shot him her resolve face and shook her head in disapproval.

“Where’d you transfer from?” Willow attempted.

“Los Angeles, “Cordelia muttered, still in search of her next class. Willow nodded and smiled politely as Xander remained mute, still stupidly transfixed.

“Oh, here we go…Fischer Hall 108! “ she added triumphantly.

Willow’s eyes widened in geekish excitement, “Oh, that’s Advanced Acting! I’m headed there too!”

“Fantastic,” Cordelia sighed in relief before clearing her throat and giving a little shrug, “So…”

“Yep, let’s be on our way, shall we?” Willow agreed with a nod, squeezing Xander’s arm as she and Cordelia headed off.

“Nice to meet you, Xander,” Cordelia said tentatively as Willow threw him one final glare of disapproval.

Xander watched the two girls walk away before he realized he was alone and called out after them, “It’s a pleasure to meet you!”
End Notes:
Be Kind, Review!
Wonder Full by rollastar
Author's Notes:
Here's the next chapter. Sorry no spuffiness yet, but don't you worry. It's coming very soon. Thank you to the three folks who reviewed!
Willow had been apprehensive when she’d first enrolled in the beginning Acting class her sophomore year, but it was an elective credit for her and something she’d always wanted to try despite her nerves. Now she was in the third level of classes, and though her confidence as a performer had grown considerably in the last three years, and her aptitude for learning was practically unrivaled, she felt her anxiety give in once more as their professor announced their course objective for the semester.

“Shakespeare!” Professor Giles beamed, finishing the chalk written word before spinning back around to face the lecture hall.

Willow felt compelled to write the playwright’s name in her notebook, though it was an absurd thing to do. But her studiousness and responsible side came out in spades when she was nervous.

Professor Giles began role call as Cordelia leaned over to whisper into Willow’s ear,

“I’ll pay you to help me understand this stuff,” the brunette said.

Willow spared the girl a conspiratorial look, “Help me actually act it?”

Cordelia nodded sharply, “Deal,” she murmured.

“Cordelia Chase?” Giles called out, scanning the room. Cordelia raised her hand and smiled.

“Ah, Cordelia! Yes well, what an auspicious moniker, yes? The virtuous princess of Lear,” Giles rambled sentimentally.

Cordelia snickered while Willow bit her lip to keep from giggling. A few rows down, one girl spun around at the mention of Cordelia’s name and shot the brunette a surprised glare.

Willow was still stifling a giggle when Cordelia caught blonde’s stare, “Buffy!” Cordelia whispered.

The blonde flashed a smile and quickly checked over her shoulder to see the teacher still busy calling off names before making the move toward Cordelia.

Willow’s face dropped at the mention of her. Instinctively clutching her notebook as Buffy stealthily climbed over a few seats and sank into the chair next to the brunette.

“Princess?” Buffy snorted.
Cordelia shot her a look before smiling and reaching for a hug, “Virtuous princess,” she teasingly reminded the girl.

Buffy returned the hug before slumping back into the chair, “When did you arrive?”

“Last night,” Cordelia explained, “I haven’t even bought my books or unpacked yet.”

“Did dad drop you off?’ Buffy wondered. Cordelia snickered at the thought, “Yeah, right. He and Carmen are in Madrid. I drove myself.”

Willow blinked in confusion as the two girls conversed so comfortably together. Then Buffy’s previous statement echoed in her ears…

“You two are sisters?” Willow blurted out, unable to stop the rising panic.

The girls stopped their bonding for a moment to regard the young redhead. Buffy took a moment, as if trying to remember who Willow was as Cordelia simply shook her head.

“Step-sisters,” Cordelia explained. Willow visibly sighed in relief that her new friend wasn’t genetically predisposed to be anything like Buffy, though the two girls familiarity and comfort still made Willow a bit wiggy.

Buffy snickered at Willow’s obvious fear upon hearing her relation to the brunette. If she considered it long enough, Buffy supposed there was nothing inherently wrong with Willow…except for maybe the company she kept…

“You’re a lesbian, right?” Buffy asked suddenly.

Willow’s face matched her hair as Cordelia considered the information. Clearing her throat and casting a nervous glance around her Willow nodded meekly, “Yeah.”

Buffy chuckled dryly, “You’ve got the right idea,” she snickered as Cordelia rolled her eyes at her stepsister’s comment.

“Liam O’Connor,” Giles called out once again. Buffy’s face snapped up at the sound of the boy’s name.

“Angel,” the young man corrected the teacher. A few snickers and giggles were met with Liam’s self-applied nickname. Giles took a moment to remove his glasses and give them a quick wipe before returning to the roster.

“Uh, yes, noted. Thank you…Angel,” the older man said tightly.

Buffy detested Angel. He’d asked her out once sophomore year, and as usual, she turned him down. As far as Buffy was concerned, Liam was just as bad as her father.

Cordelia however, harbored not the same ill-feelings toward the male population as her stepsister. Nor did she suppose turning down a guy like that. “He’s cute,” Cordy thought aloud.

Buffy and Willow surprised themselves by simultaneously gagging at Cordy’s comment. The gesture earned a laugh by Buffy and even a small smile from Willow.

“Willow Rosenburg,” Giles spoke; earning a quick nod from the redhead. Giles smiled tenderly at the girl, “The poor soul sat sighing by a sycamore tree, Sing all a green willow,” Giles quoted.

Buffy rolled her eyes as Willow blushed. So much for their previous bonding.

“Buffy Summers,” Giles announced slowly. A random spattering of low groans were heard at the mention of the girl’s name, Though he was a faculty member, he too had heard of Buffy’s reputation. It was quite fascinating to him, if not a bit contrived. He cleared his throat as to warn the class to keep their opinions to themselves.

After Giles finished role call, he began discussing the syllabus and listed the titles of the plays they would be examining this semester. Once it was time, Giles dismissed the students and reminded them to meet in the adjacent building next class.

Outside, the three girls walked together before their next respective classes.

“Twelfth Night, Macbeth…” Willow mumbled to herself, looking over the reading list she’d written down as Cordelia was checking her schedule once again.

“I have some time before my next class,” Cordelia announced, “Wanna grab a coffee? Show me the campus?” she asked the two girls.

Willow shook her head, “Next class is in ten minutes, sorry.”

Buffy shrugged, “Why the hell not.”

Willow gave Cordelia a polite smile and a half nod to Buffy before waving good bye, “Well, it was nice to meet you, Cordelia. I’m sure I’ll see you around…and ya know…in class or whatever.”

Cordelia nodded and waved in kind, “Yeah, thanks again Willow. See ya.”

“Umm, Buffy, it was— “ Willow started before realizing she was still a bit mystified by the small blonde,

Buffy spared the awkward girl this time and merely nodded, “Yes, it was.”

Willow laughed nervously, “Yeah. So, umm, bye.”

Buffy snickered as she and Cordelia watched Willow walk away. “She’s sweet,” Cordelia decided.

Buffy yawned, “Sure, I guess.”

Cordelia threaded her arm through Buffy’s as they began walking. Cordelia was thankful to have found her stepsister so quickly, rather than tracking her down.

The two girls had always been cautious of one another since Buffy’s dad and Cordelia’s mom had gotten married. Buffy naturally didn’t want anything to do with the woman he’d had an affair with, or her daughter. But the girl’s were practically forced on each other when they were younger. Cordelia was not cloistered like Buffy had been made to be. Cordelia had been free to date throughout high school, and she took advantage. Unfortuantely, she began to receive a reputation by association… which Buffy took advantage of.

When the girls started College, Cordy had stayed in Los Angeles while Buffy came to Sunnydale and their relationship naturally fizzled. But they had kept in touch sparingly throughout the past three years and now to be at the same college…it was a kind of comfort. Though Cordelia could only hope that seeing her stepsister again would not invite the same social doom and gloom that had haunted her through high school.

“So…I met Willow’s friend,” Cordy let the thought hang.

“Willow has friends?” Buffy replied automatically. Cordelia gave her an offended look.

“Xander—” Cordelia started again,

“He’s a miserably awkward creep that needs to learn the English language,” Buffy finished for her.

Cordy couldn’t help but laugh a little, remembering how awkward Xander had indeed been when he’d met her earlier. “I thought he was kind of cute, in a dorky way.”

“I thought you said Angel was cute,” Buffy reminded her.

Cordelia smiled at the memory, “Ooh, yeah, him too. Sunnydale’s just got all the hidden hotties, doesn’t it?”

Buffy was so far, unimpressed, “Angel’s an idiot,” Buffy admonished before cringing at her choice of words, “And I’m an idiot for using his stupid nickname.”

Cordelia rolled her eyes,” Still on your little man-vendetta, I see,” Cordy chirped.

Buffy halted their walking and stilled Cordy’s arm, “Little man-vendetta?” Buffy repeated back, “Cordelia, my dad was cheating on my mom for five years and then left her!”

“Yeah, “ Cordy nodded in offensive, “To marry MY mom!”

“This isn’t about you,” Buffy fumed, “Or you mother. She didn’t know my dad was already married.”

“No, she didn’t,” Cordelia added slowly, her lips fixed tightly in her own angry expression.

“Right, that’s what I just said,” Buffy spat, “Ergo, men are bastards.”

“No, Buffy. My mom’s an idiot too and so is Joyce, if I’m being honest.”

Buffy snickered and crossed her arms indignantly, “Umm, excuse me? What gives? I didn’t attack YOU!”

“My mom didn’t know Hank was already married?” Cordy repeated, “And when she found out, married him anyway?” Cordy gave Buffy a look of disbelief, full of pleading to make her stepsister understand her point of view.

For Buffy’s part, she looked bored, shrugging absently at Cordelia insistence, “So?”

“So?” Cordelia echoed, “Joyce didn’t know for FIVE YEARS that Hank was cheating?”

Buffy had no idea what Cordy was trying to say and was frankly, beginning to get annoyed.

“You’re all man-hatey but you never considered maybe placing some fault on the women?” Cordelia explained.

“You didn’t see what my mom went through after the divorce!” Buffy challenged.

“Yeah well, I saw what MY mom went through…money,” Cordelia snapped back.

“You didn’t seem to care back in high school,” Buffy snidely reminded her.

“Because I wasn’t a nun like some people,” Cordelia returned, glaring at Buffy.

“My mom was protecting me from scumbags like my dad,” Buffy cried, “She did me a favor!”

“No, she made you blind and bitter for no good reason,” Cordelia corrected. “People are responsible for their choices, Buffy.”

“I agree,” Buffy said defensively.

“PEOPLE, Buffy,” Cordelia reiterated, “Not just men, but women too.”

Buffy snickered. Cordelia was hardly a model for saintly behavior, despite the obvious personality change she’d undergone. In high school, Cordelia would have rather gone blind than hang out with a girl like Willow. And material possessions, good looks and high status were all the brunette seemed to care about. And sure, she still obviously cared about her appearance, even Buffy could admit her looks mattered to her as well…but Cordelia seemed more down to earth now. But if there was one thing that would always irk Buffy about her stepsister, (one thing she’d never admit to another living soul), it was how popular she’d always been. Especially with men.

“Oh,” Buffy said slowly, “Is that what this is about?”

Cordelia fixed her a confused but annoyed look, “What are you talking about?”

“You’re still mad about Parker aren’t you?” Buffy smirked, “That he dumped you after finding out I was your stepsister.”

“You told him to stay away from me!” Cordelia shrieked. “Then you kicked him in the balls and dumped blue paint all over him.”

“I was saving you future heartache and humiliation!” Buffy defended.

“YOU humiliated me, Buffy! YOU!” Cordelia screamed back. “What, like I couldn’t take care of myself?”

“Everyone knew Parker was a player and he was just trying to get into your pants!”

“What if I had wanted to sleep with him? That would have been my choice!

The girls had begun to draw a crowd, though they both remained unfazed by their audience, too engrossed in this long overdue argument.

“You just like the attention way too much to consider the consequences,” Buffy scolded.

“What consequences? That I might actually meet a guy I like and fall in love?”

“That you’re wasting your time! That this ‘falling in love’ bullshit is a lie!” Buffy yelled again. “It’s not real! All men are selfish, self-serving bastards who are just looking to put their dicks into a hole!”

Laughter and groans echoed throughout the quad at Buffy’s comment as Cordelia threw down her bag in disgust. Amidst the gathering crowd, a few familiar faces watched the two girls in earnest. Xander watched in misplaced excitement from one corner as Angel and his friend Riley watched from another corner.

“You’re still such a sad and lonely little crusader, aren’t you?” Cordelia patronized.

“And you’re still such a fake and vapid little tramp,” Buffy retorted back with venom.

“You’re deluded,” Cordelia spat. “Thinking men alone are to blame for everything?”

“You’re a robot,” Buffy spat back. “Thinking if you’re nice to them they won’t fuck you over.”

Cordelia shook her head, realizing she was never going to convince Buffy of anything. She leaned over to pick up her bag from the ground before wiping a wisp of hair away from her face and looking Buffy square in the eye.

“I thought maybe you’d changed, Buffy,” Cordelia finally sighed, “It was so nice to see you again…and then…you opened your mouth and I remembered what a psycho bitch you were.”

Buffy wanted to echo Cordy’s saccharine tone with her own biting comment, she really did. But in that moment, Buffy realized she was never going to convince Cordelia of anything.

So she punched her.

As Cordelia went down, a chorus of gasps from their forgotten audience came rushing into her ears, filling Buffy with a sick sense of pride. Students frantically rushed to relieve the fallen girl as Buffy calmly adjusted her bag’s strap and stepped aside to let them help her stepsister. Buffy locked eyes with Xander , who was still lingering off to the side of the crowd. When Xander realized he’d been spotted he ran off quickly, without looking back. Buffy rolled her eyes as two more faces she recognized emerged to save the damsel. Riley Finn battled the clumsier hands of other helpful boys in an effort to help Cordy to stand upright again. Angel, stood behind her and braced her shoulders before sparing Buffy a death glare.

To Cordelia’s credit, she was handling the event like a seasoned professional, smiling brightly as the two towering men handled her specifically.

And then Buffy found the biting comment she’d been looking for.

“Gee Cordy, I’ve always wondered what you could stretch wider. Your mouth or your legs,” the tiny blonde chirped innocently, “Guess it’s your giant horse mouth after all.”

The blonde in question cackled at their expressions and sauntered off toward the parking lot. She needed to be alone. There was no use in trying to go to her next class anymore. She was too amped up by her argument and the resulting sucker punch to Cordelia’s pretty face. Whatever, they lived in the same place, she could always apologize later…if she felt like it.

“Are you sure you’re okay?” Riley asked the brunette once again, bending at the knee slightly to examine her eye more thoroughly. Angel was in deep contemplation, staring off from where Buffy had left the scene.

She appreciated the concern, but Cordy was not really into the farm boy coddling her at the moment. When his face became level with hers and his hand gently held her chin to get a look at her developing shiner, she couldn’t help but turn her head the other way, “I’m fine, really. Just a stupid sibling thing.”

Angel spun around at this news. “Buffy’s your sister?”

Cordelia huffed and stepped away from Riley to effectively stop his examination.

“Stepsister,” Cordy corrected for the second time that day.

“That was a pretty heated argument,” Riley rationalized, kneeling fully to retrieve Cordelia’s purse and belongings that had fallen with her.

“So as stepsisters, you know each other pretty well, yeah?” Angel considered, his mind now racing.

Cordelia looked back and forth between the two men, “What’s with the Law and Order act, gentlemen?”

Riley handed off Cordelia’s collected items and handed them back to her before Angel walked up a bit closer to the pair.

“Thanks,” Cordelia obliged to Riley as she slung her bag over her shoulder.

Angel took Cordelia’s hand in his much larger one and brought it to his lips, “You need any help with that bruise, let me know.”

Riley’s mouth tensed in annoyance at his friend’s lack of subtlety while Cordelia giggled and gave a tiny snort.

“Oh don’t worry, I’m a magician with make-up,” she flirted in return.
“See you in class, Cordelia,” Angel smirked, releasing her hand as she waved good-bye.

“Thanks again, both of you,” she laughed, walking away with a knowing shake of her head.

Riley watched her leave as Angel abruptly turned to his friend. “I want her,” the dark haired man declared.

“I noticed,” Riley said with a snicker, “Good luck keeping Buffy out of the way.”

Angel smiled proudly but said nothing. Riley was disturbed to say the least.

“What?” Riley asked after a moment of watching Angel just smile at him. Then realization dawned on him. He sighed and crossed his arms over his chest,

“You have an idea, don’t you?”

Angel wrapped his arm around his friend’s shoulder before dragging him off, howling with laughter the entire way home.
End Notes:
Please Review!
The Calm Before... by rollastar
Author's Notes:
Here's the third chapter! Updates are happening quickly at the moment! Super inspired! Spuffy action is right around the corner, so stick with me! Thank you again to everyone who has reviewed so far!
“You want to WHAT?” Cordelia gaped, staring at the two men in astonishment.

Angel sat at the small café table holding Cordy’s hand while Riley hung back a bit further, leaning against the nearby wall. It had been a week since the fight in the quad. Half the campus had heard about it, which was annoying at best. Anyone who saw Cordy while her eye was still healing gave her sympathetic looks, which only seemed to piss off Buffy even further. To the blonde’s credit (and Cordelia’s immense relief) she’d not said a word to her about it since. Acting class would have been a nightmare except Buffy had skipped both classes this past week. And thankfully, the blonde’s absence gave Angel the chance to officially ask Cordelia out.

“This is ridiculous,” the fair-haired boy muttered, shaking his head.

Angel shot him a scowl before looking back to Cordy and smiling, “It’s totally going to work!”

Cordy snorted at the boy’s ignorance, “Newsflash, Cupid! Buffy doesn’t want to be set up with anyone. She’s this like, fortress of solitude and frigidness.”

“This guy’s a specialist,” Angel assured her with a brilliant smile.

Riley rolled his eyes but remained silent. It wasn’t that he completely disagreed with Angel’s opinion of the petite blonde; she definitely needed to chill out. But constructing an elaborate plan just to date Buffy’s stepsister? Riley thought it was absurd.

“A specialist, huh?” Cordy considered, “Has he done this sort of thing before?”

Angel laughed, “No. But he’s highly motivated.”

Cordelia pushed away from Angel and leaned back in her chair, crossing her arms knowingly. “How much are you paying him?”

Riley snickered at the girl’s perceptiveness. Cordelia was sharper than he gave her credit for.

“Enough that he’ll keep at it until she cracks,” Angel supplied. “Besides, even if he can’t seduce her, she’ll at least be so busy trying to avoid him she won’t even notice us.”

Cordy shook her head, “Hello? I live with her! How is she not going to notice?” Angel started to speak before Cordelia cut him off, “And don’t you dare suggest that I go to your place. Eww, you live in a frat house!”

Riley once again laughed at the girl’s insight as Angel sighed, and ran a hand over his face. The darker man was clearly getting frustrated. “Well then, what do you suggest?” Angel asked after a moment.

“A decoy,” Cordelia said proudly.

“A what?” Angel asked, unimpressed.

“You know, a decoy,” Cordy repeated, “Like a fake boyfriend to keep Buffy off our scent or whatever.”

“I know what a decoy is,” Angel ground out, “I just don’t know if—“

“I like it,” Riley chimed in, moving from the wall to join the couple at the table. Cordelia was beginning to make Riley enjoy this plan.

“You would,” Angel rolled his eyes, “Soldier boy,” he added under his breath.

“Who do you have in mind?” Riley wondered.

Angel sent his friend an evil look. He did not appreciate Riley’s sudden enthusiasm. “Why? You wanna do it?” Angel asked defensively.

Cordelia gave Angel a playful smack on the arm as Riley started laughing. “As fun as that sounds, I’m not really in the mood to deal with Buffy willingly.”

“Too bad, that would have been fun to watch,” Angel grumbled.

“Great,” Riley began calculating, “So we drop a bee in this guy’s bonnet that you’re into him, you two start hanging out, Buffy catches on, wails on the boy while you two sneak away and live happily ever after.”

Cordy tilted her head as if imagining Riley’s narrative in her head while Angel sat hunched over, shaking his own head in disagreement.

“I don’t like it,” Angel said.

Cordy placed her hand back onto Angel’s and sent him a smile, “Don’t worry, nothing will happen.”

“Oh I know that,” Angel dismissed her promise carelessly, “I mean I think the plan is stupid.”

Cordelia huffed and relinquished Angel’s hand once more, “Gee, thanks.”

“No!” Angel backpedaled, reaching for Cordy’s hand again, “I mean, he shouldn’t be a decoy boyfriend…he should be a decoy….tutor!”

“A what?” Cordy and Riley asked in unison.

“You know, like a study buddy or whatever,” Angel explained.

Riley nodded, “That’ll keep Buffy guessing without fully knowing what’s going on.”

Angel agreed, “Exactly and between the confusion and Spike—“

“Wait, what?” Cordelia interrupted.

“What?” Angel asked.

“His name is Spike?” Cordelia squawked, “You’re trying to bait Buffy with some special, magical guy named Spike?”

Riley looked to Angel for an answer to this one. Spike was really more Angel’s friend than Riley’s. In truth, Riley hated Spike. If he had to choose between Buffy’s wretchedness or Spike, he’d probably take his chances with Buffy, but that only proved why Spike was definitely the right choice for this crazy idea.

Cordelia pursed her lips and tapped her foot impatiently for an explanation before Angel finally spoke.

“So…what poor schmuck gets to be the tutor?”

* * * * * * * * * * *

“Xander!” Willow called out, seeing her friend across the courtyard.

The goofy boy turned and waved to the redhead walking toward him. Beside her was Tara, Willow’s girlfriend.

“Hey ladies,” Xander chirped. “How are my two favorite les—“

“Don’t finish that thought,” Willow warned him. Tara managed a small giggle in spite of the potentially immature nature of the boy’s comment. Tara knew he didn’t mean anything by it, and indeed Willow knew it too, but the redhead had been irked by everyone’s fascination with her sexuality since she’d come out. Had it really been that big of a surprise? Was it really that big of a deal?

“My bad,” Xander said, miming zipping his mouth shut.

“How have you been?” Tara asked the boy.

Xander shrugged, “It’s been a crazy year already.”

Tara laughed as Willow took a seat in the grass, the other two following suit.

“It’s only been a week!” Tara teased.

“School works in mysterious ways,” Xander sighed. “How are you girls holding up?”

Willow shook her head and began digging through her backpack to reveal the source of her concern. Tara smiled and started rubbing soothing circles over her girlfriend’s back.

“Willow’s acting class is tackling Shakespeare,” Tara informed the boy.

Willow shot Xander another painful look as she let the multiple scripts fall onto the ground.

Xander chuckled as he picked one up and read the title aloud, “Taming of the Shrew”, he mused, “That crazy ol’ Billy Shakes.”

Tara laughed as she gently took the script from him. Xander busied himself with perusing the other scripts while Willow took out her notebook.
“Ya hear about the catfight out on the quad last week?” Xander asked after a moment.

Tara, still flipping through the pages of the play, shook her head absently. Willow looked up with wide eyes, “Yeah, Buffy hit Cordelia?”

“Oh yeah,” Xander nodded, “Flattened her in one punch.”

Willow’s face contorted into something like dismay, “I can’t believe her!”

“So say we all,” Xander sighed.

Tara had looked up at the mention of someone getting hit and was searching between the two old friends for more information before finally speaking up, “Who’s Cordelia?”

“New girl,” Willow supplied, “She’s in my acting class…along with Buffy…” Willow added with a groan.

“A stone cold fox,” Xander chimed in.

Tara shook her head in amusement at the boy as Willow rolled her eyes, “Use your words like a big boy yet?” the redhead teased him.

Xander gave Willow a pointed look, “Nope,” he explained, “But just give it time.”

“Buffy hasn’t been in class all week,” Willow said suddenly, “I wonder if something happened.”

“Yeah, like back in prison,” Xander chuckled.

Tara furrowed her brow, “Buffy’s been in prison?”

Willow gave her girlfriend a sympathetic look and shook her head, much to the relief of Tara.

“M-m-maybe she dropped the class?” Tara considered, stuttering slightly.

“No, she’s still on the roster,” Willow explained, “I think she’s just avoiding Cordelia at all costs.”

“Good,” Xander huffed.

“Maybe she’s embarrassed?” Tara offered, “Y-you know, what with the h-h-hitting and all?”

Xander laughed ungracefully at the thought of Buffy being embarrassed by her behavior, though Willow considered her girlfriend’s words more thoughtfully.

“That’s unlikely, sweetie,” Willow said.

Tara gave a small shrug as Willow placed a chaste kiss on her cheek. Tara, was one of the blessed souls on campus who had never actually encountered Buffy or her wrath. It was almost refreshing; a naïve perspective on just how awful Buffy really was. Tara always saw the good in people, it was one of her greatest virtues. Xander adored Tara for how she loved Willow, and never seemed to judge him or his goofy antics. Willow of course loved Tara for all that and much more.

Xander leaned back and sprawled out onto the lawn, using his backpack as a pillow as the two girlfriends sat quietly reading their respective books. It was a companionable silence, and the trio appreciated the calm downtime. Unfortunately, it didn’t last long.

A menacing shadow suddenly loomed over Xander’s resting frame, blocking the sun. The two girls looked up to see the lumbering figure of Angel peering down at the smaller boy.

“Hey Liam—“ Willow started before correcting herself, “I mean, Angel.”

“Hey Willow, I need a favor,” the tall man started, “Could I speak to you?”

Willow shared a questioning look with her friends before shrugging, “Sure what’s up?”

“Umm, could we speak in private?” Angel asked again. Willow nodded and stood, moving away from her resting spot to talk with the young man.

Xander sat up at this, shooting the guy a suspicious look as Tara studied his body language in her quiet, observant way.

“So…what’s going on?” Willow wondered again.

“You’re not a big fan of Buffy Summers either so I’m gonna be totally honest with you, okay?”

Willow gave him a skeptical look but encouraged him to continue with a nod. Angel took a deep breath and sighed. He had altered the plan slightly, deciding he didn't quite like the idea of a male tutor. When he racked his brain long enough, he'd come up with Willow. It was perfect. And though this particular female liked women, the point was that Cordelia liked men, hence why male tutor equaled badness.

“Cordelia and I have sort of started seeing each other and we want to keep seeing each other but it’s nearly impossible with Buffy in the way so, I need you to pretend to be like, a tutor for Cordelia.”

Willow’s eyes widened as she took in Angel’s elaborate news, “Umm, well…Cordy’s already asked me about helping her with understanding Shakespeare so I guess I could—“

“Oh no,” Angel cut her off, “Your tutoring Cordy is just a cover.”

Willow mouth gaped for a moment before shutting again abruptly. Willow wasn’t entirely keen on getting tangled in this mess, until another thought suddenly occurred to her. “Okay,” she said with a friendly smile.

Angel laughed with relief and hugged the girl before grabbing her hands and shaking them both, “Awesome. Just give me a call or slide me a note during class if you and Cordy ever decide to study at her place. That way I can sneak over undetected.”

Willow furrowed her brow in obvious disapproval but quickly recovered and nodded to the boy, “You got it.”

“Awesome,” Angel repeated giddily as he started to walk away before stopping and turning back abruptly, “Oh, and don’t worry about Buffy. I’ve got an insurance policy!” he added with a wink before exiting for good this time.

Willow stood in her spot for a moment longer, contemplating the strangeness of this whole ordeal before finally returning to her friends, still lounging on the grass.

Tara looked up at her girlfriend with a concerned expression, “Everything okay, honey?”

Willow nodded absently as Xander piped up, “What’d that oaf want?”

Willow wasn’t quite sure how to begin, until her previous thought returned to her once again. “He wants me to pretend to tutor Cordelia so she and he can date without Buffy realizing it.”

Tara remained pensive while Xander looked outraged, “What?” the boy shrieked, “Him and Cordy?”

“But not to worry, Xan,” Willow assured him, “I have a great idea.”

“Willow,” Tara softly chided. She didn’t know all that the redhead was conjuring in her mind, but it didn’t matter. Tara didn’t like meddling in other people’s affairs. Especially when it came to matters of the heart. It was just too dangerous, and cruel.

“No, this is great!” Willow whined, “Xander, why don’t you show up instead?”

Xander gave Willow a confused look, “But isn’t that ya know, of the bad what the whole Buffy part of the equation?”

Willow shook her head, ‘No, no. I’ll just tell Cordelia to meet me somewhere to study, you show up instead, Buffy never finds out and I’ll give Angel the wrong location!” Willow beamed proudly, “ See? It’s perfect!”

Xander didn’t fully grasp the basics, but he was pretty sure it all worked in his favor.

“Willow, I like the way you think,” he said with a grin.

Tara clutched Willow’s arm protectively, “Sweetie, are you sure this is a good idea? Getting involved? Getting Xander involved?”

Willow dismissed her concern with a wave of her hand, “It’s fine, Tara! Besides, Angel said he has a Buffy-proof insurance policy.”

Xander chuckled at the thought, “Wonder what that looks like…”

* * * * * * * * * * * *

Intense blue eyes studied the reflection in the glass. The newly bleached head of hair glowing in the sun. It wasn’t what he’d normally do with his hair; platinum blonde and slicked back, but it wasn’t a half bad look on him, the man decided. He turned to each side, striking a pose as he examined his physique in his new wardrobe as well. Tight black t-shirt, tight black jeans and beaten, black combat boots. Yeah, he looked tough. And more to the point, he looked scary.

“Something’s still missing…” he thought to himself as he simply continued to stare at his image, waiting for his lumbering employer to show.

When Angel had called him and told him the deal, he thought the ponce was off his nut; asking him to deal with some feisty bird so he could date the chit’s stepsister? What a load of bollocks. But the git was paying him, and any girl that could strike terror into the heart of Liam “Angel” O’Connor couldn’t be all that bad.

A car door shutting alerted him to Angel’s sudden presence. He spun around and fixed his mouth into a knowing smirk as the larger man approached him, rolling his eyes at his friend’s new appearance.

“Spike, what the hell is this?”

Spike chuckled and moved to pinch Angel’s cheek, “Hello to you, Peaches.”

Angel swatted the man’s hand away and stepped back to observe him once more, “I told you to look intimidating!”
Spike clicked his tongue and looked down at his attire, nodding, “Yeah, still needs something, doesn’t it?”

Angel clenched his fists in frustration, “You look like Billy Idol!”

Spike pursed his lips in confusion, “So you’re saying, what? Too sexy?”

Angel paced in a short circle for a moment before grabbing Spike by the arm and pulling him toward the car, “Just—Let’s go.”

Spike ripped himself out of Angel’s grasp and shoved the taller man with a pointed finger to the chest, “Don’t get pissy with me, Peaches. Remember who needs who here,” Spike warned.

Angel sighed, “You’re such a pain in the ass.”

Spike laughed, “Yeah, but that’s exactly why you’re paying me, innit?

Angel managed a dry chuckle, “Just keep Buffy out the way.”

Spike nodded and mock saluted him, “Ay yi, Captain Forehead!”

Angel rolled his eyes and started for the driver’s side of the car once again. “You’re coming to my class today, right?”

Spike waved him off, “Yeah, yeah. Don’t get your knickers in a twist…I’ll be there…” he dismissed the man’s panic as he made for the passenger side.

Suddenly, Spike noticed something in the store across the street. Angel noticed and looked over his shoulder in hopes of seeing what had caught Spike’s attention.

“What?” Angel wondered, “What is it?”

“Something,” Spike muttered before looking back at Angel. “I’m gonna need an advance.”

Angel’s eyes widened, “What? What the hell for?”

“Just give me the cash, would ya?”

Angel grumbled as he aggressively reached for his wallet and threw it at Spike.
The blonde started laughing as Angel opened the car door and slumped into his seat petulantly.

“Be right quic—“

“Just shut up and hurry,” Angel pouted without looking at the other man.

Spike smirked and sauntered off across the street, happy to burn the cash inside Angel’s stuffed wallet.

Twenty minutes later, Angel was snapped out of his daze by his wallet being thrown into his lap. His significantly much lighter wallet. He glanced down to scrutinize the slim remains as Spike slid into the passenger seat and shut the door.

Angel looked back up to see the cause of his nearly empty billfold, grinning like the cat who ate the canary and now sporting a floor length leather duster.

“That’s what you bought?” Angel fumed.

Spike held out his arms to inspect his new purchase, “Beautiful innit?’ He cooed, “A pretty penny she was but, all’s fair…”

Angel’s face felt warm, he was having trouble breathing. If he didn’t calm himself down soon, his frustration with his insufferable conspirator would give way to rage and then Spike would be dead…and that didn’t bode well for his plan.

Angel stuck the keys into the ignition and shifted into drive.

“You better do your job or I’m gonna use that coat to suffocate you.”

Spike just chuckled as they headed back to campus.
End Notes:
Please keep reviewing! It's the greatest feeling in the world!
The Storm by rollastar
Author's Notes:
Well folks, Here's your first taste of Spuffy action. Thank you to all who've reviewed. Sorry if I didn't respond to some of you, but I promise I will! Thank you again and Enjoy!
Spike was not adverse to the theatre. On the contrary, before coming to America for school he’d quite enjoyed all different facets of the Arts. But the American standard of theatre left something to be desired in his English trained soul. And the thought of some of these witless, poncey, mumbling no-goods shredding up the bard’s words was a discouraging prospect.

At least the professor was English. Maybe that’d save some integrity.

He scanned the room, watching the other students file into the studio. Spike had arrived with Angel, explaining to Professor Giles he was thinking of picking up the class and had come to observe if allowed. Giles was thrilled at the young man’s seeming interest and so allowed him to stay for the period. The blonde man had been introduced to Willow, a slight girl with shocking red hair; evidently placed into Angel’s hair-brained scheme as some sort of patsy. He wasn’t all together bothered, really. But the bird seemed nice enough, a bit too nice to be getting herself involved with the likes of Angel and him.

And then of course he met Cordelia, whom Angel showed off like a prize-winning true bred. The chit was quite fetching, but lacked substance as far as Spike was concerned. She was perfect for Angel. He hoped they lived happily forever vapid.

No sign of Buffy yet, according to those in the know. Spike didn’t know whether to be relieved or disappointed. He didn’t quite know what to expect, after everything Angel had told him, and then to hear Willow and Cordelia’s take on it as well…
He did enjoy the bit about Cordelia taking a fist to the socket, however. That sounded promising.

Giles checked his watch and sighed, having gone over the roster and discovered a few students had dropped the class and Buffy Summers was once again absent but evidently still enrolled.

“Alright class, let’s begin,” he announced, “Please circle up.”

The students did as instructed, scripts and notebooks in hand as they scooted together to form a ring. Giles approached Spike as people were setting up.

“You may join us if you wish,” the older Brit offered, “If not however, I’d ask that you hang back by the wall and just watch quietly.”

Spike nodded respectively, “I’ll just watch for now,” Spike told him.

“Very well,” Giles returned with a nod and a smile before returning to the students and joining the circle.

“Let’s resume Taming of the Shrew,” the older man began again, “and go to Act one, scene one.”

The students flipped through their scripts as Giles assigned temporary readers, “Cordelia, would you please read for Lucentio…Willow read Biondello…Jonathan read Grumio…Andrew read Hortensio…Warren, Gremio; and Angel, read Petruchio.”

Andrew, a simpering young man in the class raised his hand, “Umm, Mr. Giles? What about Tranio?”

Giles removed his glasses and pinched the bridge of his nose in frustration. Having students either absent or withdrawing from the class was disrupting his organization of class time. Across the room Spike shifted in his chair, reminding Giles of his presence. The older man waved his hand and addressed the visitor.

“Umm, dear boy, would you perhaps join us after all? I’m afraid we’re short on readers today.”

Spike grimaced at the term ‘dear boy’ but acquiesced to the professor nonetheless. It did his façade no good he supposed to seem disinterested in the class, after all. Spike planted himself between the poncey Andrew boy and a little twerp of a kid….Jonathan, he guessed. Giles handed him an extra script and then they began.

They didn’t get very far into the actual dialogue, stopping every few moments to dissect the meaning and all that rot. Spike actually understood this stuff more than his persona would let on. He was an English major after all, though nobody seemed to care enough to know that about him. From what they had read so far, some of these students showed promise. Jonathan, as mealy as he was, was actually quite good. Cordelia was atrocious, but with her good looks at least she could become a model maybe…Willow lacked confidence but had a nice handling on the language. Hell, even Peaches had impressed him! Though Spike was relieved when Giles had them start reading different roles mid-scene. He dutifully returned to his seat in the corner and resumed his silent observation.

At the end of the hour, Giles dismissed the class but not before he’d assigned each of them scene partners next session.

Willow was paired with Warren, Angel with Andrew, and Jonathan with Cordelia.

“Well that was a bust,” Angel muttered, annoyed for once by Buffy’s absence. It did him no good if Spike couldn’t get to her. The bleached menace was his insurance policy after all. He and Cordelia walked hand in hand toward the door, Willow close behind and Spike even further back.

“Well, should we set up a ‘study date’ anyway?” Cordelia cooed, leaning into Angel’s side.

Willow pulled a face. It would do her no good if Angel was present every time she coordinated these fake study sessions. It was too much trouble to have to backpedal after the fact and give Angel a phony “change of plans”…she let this one go for now. It was probably too early to mess with the plan anyway.

“Wanna say seven at ‘the library’?” Angel turned and winked to Cordelia.

“I love the library,” Cordelia furthered their little joke.

“Hey Willz, you think you could come to my house at 6:45 and we can leave together? Just in case Buffy’s there? She’ll see us leave together.”

Willow sighed inaudibly but nodded, “Sure thing.”
The redhead politely waved good-bye to the couple and headed off to her next class. Already dreading having agreed to any part of this mess. Spike still lagged a few steps behind Cordy and Angel, all prepared to finally exit before Giles stopped them.

“Umm, Mr. Pratt, may I have a word?”

Spike looked to his companions who just shrugged and told him they’d wait for him in the courtyard before Spike nodded in compliance and approached the older gentleman.

Outside, Cordelia and Angel mused on the events of the day, locked in a loose embrace before they both recognized the figure a few yards away.

‘Oh shit,” Angel muttered as Cordelia groaned upon the approaching shape of Buffy.

They immediately released their hold on one another and tried their best to remain as casual and unfamiliar with each other as possible.

Buffy eyed them cautiously as she got closer, snorting in delight at the look of panic on Angel’s face.

“Where have you been?” Cordelia chanced scolding her stepsister. “Class is already over and you’ve missed the last like, four sessions!”

Buffy raised one eyebrow in amused curiosity, “I’m going to talk to Giles right now.”

“Good,” Cordelia huffed.

“Like you give a shit if I’m absent!” Buffy mocked.

“You’re screwing things up for the rest of us by missing class, that’s why I give a shit!” Cordelia barked.

Buffy smirked, “ How’s your eye?” she taunted, not even waiting for a response before slipping past them toward the theatre studio.

Cordelia instinctively raised a hand to cover her former bruise in paranoia as Angel stood by helplessly until Buffy was out of sight. Realization struck Cordy in an instant, “Oh God! Spike’s still in there talking to Giles!”

Angel’s face fell for a moment, “Well then I hope he’s a quick draw.”

Giles stood over a chair, busily collecting his paperwork as he explained the situation to Spike.

“I was wondering if you’d seriously consider enrolling in the class,” Giles informed him. “I’ve had several students drop already and another few who’ve missed a number of classes…it would really boost the morale to have someone of your obvious caliber join us.”

Spike was a bit uneasy by the man’s request. A hesitance that apparently showed on his face because Giles once more piped up, “I can speak to the Registrar and put a hold on this session if you’d like to come back on Friday and give it a trial run. Tackle this text on your feet?”

Spike sighed but nodded, “Alright Rupes, I can do that.”

Giles ignored the young man’s informality for the time being and merely smiled, “Wonderful!”

“But just a trial basis, yeah?” Spike clarified.

“Of course,” Giles agreed, “I’ll just assign you to a monologue until you know for certain you’d like to stay.”

“Fine by me I s’pose,” Spike nodded before the two men reached to shake on it.

The studio door opened then, Buffy emerging through it. The two men raised their heads to see the small girl headed determinedly for them.

“Ah, Buffy!” Giles greeted her as Spike’s face suddenly fell into a smirk.

She stole a quick glance his way before rolling her eyes dismissively and focusing back on Giles, “I’m here to talk to you about my absences.”

Giles nodded, removing his glasses to give them a clean before repositioning them back on his face and pulling out the paperwork he’d just put away. “Yes, you’re bit behind now, I’m afraid.”

“I know…”

“I’ve gone and assigned scene partners without you,” Giles rambled on.

“That’s fine, I just wanted to explain—“

“You’re not thinking of dropping the class?”

Buffy exhaled loudly and rubbed her temples. Spike remained off to the side watching her intently. He was onto her already. She was definitely a spitfire, but it was more calculated than people assumed. The way she stormed through the door, her obvious look of disapproval and eye rolling when she noticed him…even now, as polite and respectful as she was trying to be to her professor, Spike could see her frustration. Though whether it was because she was so used to being a bitch and she couldn’t keep up the niceties or whether she wasn’t used to having someone witness her NOT being a bitch, Spike couldn’t say. He’d probably guess the latter.

Buffy calmed herself before finally answering, “No, I’m not dropping the class. I’ve just had some things—“

“Wonderful,” Giles said blithely, giving her a condescending pat on the shoulder before scribbling something in his notebook.

Spike suddenly had a brilliant inspiration. “Professor Giles,” he spoke up, coming to stand more intimately near Buffy than before.

She noticed his sudden proximity and took a step away. She’d nearly forgotten someone else was still in the room with her and the teacher. Now was she grateful Giles hadn’t let her get a word in edgewise. The last thing she needed was this freak job, whoever he was, knowing her personal business.

Giles looked at the young man expectantly as Spike said, “I think I’m gonna stick with the class.”

Buffy gave the guy a suspicious look as Giles beamed with joy, “Oh this is marvelous. Thank you for reconsidering, Spike.”

Giles furiously flipped through his paperwork to give to the young man, practically giggling the entire time. As he did so, Spike watched with feigned pride at making the older man so happy, his lips curling into a ridiculously saccharine smile.

Buffy looked between the two men before settling on the blonde one and narrowing her eyes in suspicion once more. Spike caught her look and graced her with the same absurd grin. She scoffed audibly and turned back to address her teacher.

“So, is there anything I need to prepare for next class?” She asked, her former patience gone.

Giles looked at her blankly for a moment as he handed some materials to Spike before her question was fully realized. “Oh yes! Scenes! Yes, yes, yes…” he muttered to himself before once more scrawling down a note in his book.

“You two, Kate and Petruchio. Have at it! See you on Friday!” Giles said merrily, clapping the two kids on their arms and gathered up his things, leaving an amused Spike and a totally confounded Buffy in his wake.

After a moment, Buffy released a choked scream and started for the door. Spike was quicker and grabbed her by the wrist.
“Whoa!” Buffy snapped, wrenching her hand away from him. “Don’t even know you, buster.”

“Spike,” he corrected sweetly.

Buffy snickered, “What is that, the British version of ‘touche’ or something?”

“It’s my name,” he clarified.

Buffy blinked before she started laughing, loudly. “Of course it is,” she cackled, shoving the door open before exiting the studio.

Spike was right behind her, quickly landing in step with her as she cut a furious pace through the hall.

“So, looks like we’re gonna be doing a scene together,” he began.

Buffy stopped abruptly and turned to face him, “No,” she said.

Spike chuckled but looked at her in confusion, “No, what? No were NOT doing a scene together? Cause it sounded like Ol’ Rupes back there just assigned us—“

“No, not, ‘No were not doing a scene together’, No as in, whatever flirty tactic thing you’re trying to pull on me right now, I’m not interested. No. As in, never.”

Spike raised his eyebrows in surprise as Buffy spun on her heel and resumed walking toward the door. He caught up to her again, shoving his hands in his pockets as he fell in step with once more. “I wasn’t flirting with you,” he lied.

Buffy snorted, “Yeah right.”

Spike snorted back, “Don’t flatter yourself, sweetheart.”

Buffy bristled at his comment, “I’m serious, bleach-boy. I’m not interested. And your reverse psychology doesn’t work on me either, okay? Stop wasting your time.”

“Who’s reverse psychologizing who here, kitten? Maybe you’re into me and you’re just telling me you’re not interested so that makes me more interested.”

She stopped right in front of the door, and chuckled dryly, “A; don’t call me kitten, B; you’re theory’s idiotic, and C; the fact that you’d only be interested in a girl who DOESN’T want you just proves my point.”

Spike too came to a halt before the door, “And what point is that?”

“That all men are idiots.”

“Oh, clever girl,” Spike teased, “Like you’re the first bint to ever come up with that priceless gem.”

Buffy just rolled her eyes, “You’re only giving my theory more credibility here, ya know.”

“So what was it?”

“What was what?” Buffy asked.

“Bad break-up once upon a time?” Spike guessed as Buffy’s eyes narrowed.

“Shut up,” Buffy said tiredly, pushing the door open and continuing on her way.

Spike noticed as he kept following Buffy that Cordelia and Angel were no longer in the courtyard waiting. It was probably for the best. And besides, he was kind of having fun.

“Let some poor sod take a poke and then he left you?” Spike attempted again.

Buffy just kept walking, unable to believe the nerve of this guy, and his tenacity.

“Wow, you just can’t take a hint, can you?” Buffy mused.

Spike stopped suddenly along the path, letting her get a few feet ahead of him before she caught on that he’d stop following her. Good riddance, she thought and kept on walking when she heard him yell,

“Or maybe you have daddy issues, eh pet?” His voice echoing as it bounced off the brick buildings surround them.

Buffy was taken aback suddenly at his latest comment hit the mark.

“Daddy left your mum for another bird?” He yelled his guess again, letting the comment linger in the air.

Buffy had stopped moving and was furiously deciding if it was worth it to march back over there and hit him.

But she didn’t. She took a deep breath and resumed her march to her next class, never looking back.

Spike watched her visibly halt at his last barb. He was half expecting her to haul off and hit him, but she didn’t. It was admittedly a bit disappointing. Oh well, he thought with a shrug. He’d get to do it all over again on Friday. And this time, sparks would fly.
End Notes:
What'd you think? I just wanted to tease you all a bit with the Buffy/Spike meeting. But don't worry, they've met now...and it only gets better. Please review!
Will You, Nill You by rollastar
Author's Notes:
Here's the next chapter! Light on the Spuffy but more information to be revealed and checking in with our other characters! Stay tuned though, big Spuffy chapter coming up soon! Thanks to all who reviewed!
“Did he really have to bring her, here?” Xander whispered harshly.

“I said you weren’t gonna like it,” Willow whispered back.

“Overgrown man-child…” Xander muttered.

Willow smacked him lightly on the arm as the two continued to spy on Angel and Cordelia. When Willow had arrived at Cordelia’s place, Buffy had answered the door. Evidently Cordelia theory had proven to be somewhat correct. The small blonde only had to know that the redhead was there to tutor her stepsister, leaving Buffy thoroughly disinterested and let the redhead enter without interrogation.

Though it was a bit suspect when Cordelia appeared decked out in a small cocktail dress and full make-up. Buffy still barely acknowledged the two girls, not even bothering to wait and say good-bye.

Once they had left the house, Cordelia instructed Willow to follow her to the end of the block. Angel was picking her up, she’d explained. Willow had grimaced. Though Angel had been nice enough to offer her a ride back to her own place; at which point, Willow immediately called Xander.

And that’s how they ended up here. Stuck at a small round table way in the corner of the French restaurant, Café Nice. They’d managed to catch up with Angel and Cordy right as they were being seated, which Xander was equally grateful and disenchanted.

“Well she’s not laughing at his jokes, that’s a good sign, right?” Willow offered as they continued to watch.

Xander snickered, “Willz, a guy like Angel doesn’t need a girl to laugh at his jokes. He probably doesn’t even have any.”

“Well I’d wanna guy who had jokes,” Willow pouted.

“Yeah, jokes…and a vagina,” Xander reminded her bitterly.

Willow rolled her eyes, defeated. She’d told Xander about Cordelia’s date initially to inform him that their own devised counter-plan would have to wait. Of course, Xander being……well, Xander, had to see the date for himself. Willow knew how much he’d be hurting, watching Angel fawn over Cordelia, and what was sure to be worse, Cordelia responding accordingly.

“So, how do you like the place?” Angel asked, taking a sip of his water.

“Well I’d like it better if they’d bring us something else to drink besides water,” Cordelia mused.

Angel outwardly laughed but inside was panicking that his girl was already displeased. “Right? If the service were any slower, Café Nice should change their name to Café ‘Not-so-nice,” he laughed heartily now, hoping his joke would impress her.

Cordelia stared blankly at him for a moment, “It’s Café Neice, “she said, correcting his pronunciation.

Angel choked down his laughter, his pride wounded, “Right, right. Just…ya know…making a joke…”

Cordelia nodded tightly, rolling her eyes and bring her menu up to block his view of her. This was not going very well. Angel was a good looking guy, but something was off and Cordelia was annoyed.

Angel exhaled and followed suit by lifting the menu and staring at the offerings absently. This was not going very well. Cordelia was gorgeous, but something was off and Angel was worried.

“Oh man, they’re ordering food!” Xander whined, watching the pair open their menus from across the room.

Willow furrowed her brow, “Guess that means they’ll be here for awhile, huh?”

“Yep, and so will we,” Xander said with a nod.

Willow sighed and picked up her menu in surrender.

* * * * * * * * * * * *

Friday is a special day for a college student. That final day after a hellish week that whispers the promise of escape. Even though Saturday and Sunday are the actual sanctioned days off, that feeling of accomplishment at the end of a Friday is the best feeling in the world.

Buffy disagreed.

This particularly Friday was not shaping up to be the welcomed liberator it usually was. If anything, it would only give her more free time to sit and stress about how her life was falling apart.

First came the morning argument with Cordelia. Which in itself was nothing new, really. The sisters had always had spats growing up whenever they shared a space. But this was something else all together. Cordelia had come home late the past two nights. Really late. And though Buffy had briefly considered it none of her business, last night’s late arrival had been her undoing.

Cordelia had begun to worry. Not about Buffy finding out about Angel so much as Angel himself. She was getting disinterested. True he was good looking, and true he could be charming sometimes…and he was a decent actor, which gave him that whole “talent is sexy” thing…but he was kind of…dumb, Cordelia realized. And moody…and not like in a James Dean way, more like a premenstrual woman way…

But she’d given Angel a second chance…or, at least….in her mind, she’d given him a second chance…since Cordelia wasn’t sure if someone could actually be given a second chance without being informed they had failed the first one.

Angel’s second chance was last night, Thursday. They’d gone out again and this time, it really was a study date. Willow was even invited, more as a consultant.

Professor Giles had wanted them to start dealing with their assigned Shakespeare scenes on their feet, talking and walking. Both she and Angel had different partners, but she thought it’d be more fun to practice with Angel. Willow was cursing to herself for being too nice. Despite the fact that she had crafted her own devious plan to set up Xander with Cordelia behind Angel’s back, her plan so far had backfired twice already and both times she had helped. Her disgust with herself had caused her to leave early; the couple was too busy making mooneyes at each other anyway…

And that’s when Cordelia had decided to push her luck…again. Angel drove her home, and after a half hour make out session in his car, the two said goodnight and Cordelia went inside, not knowing that Buffy had witnessed the entire thing.

Not one to shy away from an argument, Buffy approached Cordelia immediately in the morning. Cordelia denied and deflected a few times before finally admitting that she and Angel were seeing each other.

Buffy unsurprisingly, fumed. What did surprise Cordelia was that Buffy didn’t say she’d pull any of her usual scare tactics. Sure she cursed and she mouthed off about what an idiot she’d thought Angel was and how Cordelia was wasting her time and yadda, yadda, yadda…but not once did Buffy threaten anything. It was as if she was just a psycho protective sister, which in some ways, Cordelia almost found sweet.

Buffy however, found nothing sweet about this new development. But amidst her ranting, she remembered the argument they’d had on the first day of school. Cordelia wasn’t ever going to heed Buffy’s warnings, no matter what she said or did.
So Buffy let loose a few obligatory barbs about the stupidity of both parties and left it at that. Besides, if her theory held true, which she was certain it would, Cordelia would be on her side soon enough.
The next gem to accost Buffy that supposedly blissful Friday was another letter from her mother. Her mother had been sending her letters since Buffy had moved to Sunnydale for College. Sure, Buffy still visited Joyce on occasion and they would catch up that way, but the letters were a chance for each of them to talk about their lives without censure or interruption.

The last few letters however, had been short and vague. They hardly warranted the postage. But the letter she’d received this afternoon was even more devastating. Her mother was engaged; a man named Brian she’d met at the Art Gallery she worked for. Buffy was so much surprised as she was disappointed.

Her mother had been seeing Brian for almost six months now, though the two had known each other for a number of years. Buffy had met Brian twice. He was a nice enough man, as art curators go…but the 23 year old blonde was definitely not receptive to the man’s interest in her mother. Her reasons for disliking Brian were nothing new and her feeling of disappointment sprang from an entire childhood of watching her mother suffer at the hands of her husband.

So why in the world would her mother want to put herself through all that heartache and bullshit again?

In tandem with the yucky feelings pervading her thoughts as she contemplated her mother’s missive, was the epiphany she’d had with Cordelia that morning. Cordelia would never see her side of things until she’d been betrayed the way Buffy felt she had. But Cordelia had said something that first day of school that Buffy couldn’t process until now, and suddenly all of her thoughts and actions up to this point made complete sense.

The women were just as much to blame as the men for these awful situations. Obviously Buffy didn’t agree with Cordelia unilaterally. Not every situation warranted shared blame. Sometimes, (more often than not) it was the man’s fault. But Buffy suddenly understood where Cordelia had derived her own theory. The disappointment she felt in receiving her mother’s news was partially due to her pre-emptive blaming of this newly appointed fiancée, Brian. But now Buffy recognized that she was also prepared to blame her mother when something inevitably went awry.

Her mother was indeed foolish if she went into this engagement without considering everything that Hank had previously put her through. And now Buffy was at an impasse. She didn’t know how to respond to her mother’s letter. She wasn’t excited, but she didn’t want to hurt her mother’s feelings either.

Buffy saved the letter in a pocket of her bag for later dealings. She still had one more potentially disastrous event scheduled for this glorious Friday…Acting class.

That one irked her like no other thing today had. When she’d tried to explain her situation to Professor Giles, was ignored and brushed off like any other student. Buffy supposed she deserved a bit of Giles’ aloofness. She had missed practically a week’s worth of work already. But then to be saddled with some new sleaze-ball who’d just joined the class? How was that fair?

Buffy inwardly groaned. She was not looking forward to Acting class today. She’d barely grazed the scene she was assigned, she didn’t know her new scene partner, and they’d be stumbling through it on their feet today. Disaster was imminent.

* * * * * * * * * * * *

“What do you mean she knows?” Angel whined.

Cordelia shrugged and calmly repeated, “I told Buffy we were seeing each other.”

“But I had this whole thing figured out—“

“And that’s adorable,” Cordelia breezed, “But now that she knows, we don’t have to sneak around.”

Spike’s eyebrow lifted at this sudden change in plans, “Hey now, Peaches,” he chimed in, “Hope this sudden liberation act doesn’t mean we’re settled.”

Angel groaned as he looked between his friend and his girlfriend. If he and Cordelia weren’t hiding anything, then Spike wasn’t necessary. On the other hand, Spike wouldn’t just let him back out of the deal now. Not after money had already been promised.

“No, no. You’ll get paid for your trouble, don’t worry,” Angel finally said.

Cordelia snickered, “What trouble? He’s hardly done anything! You’re aren’t seriously going to waste perfectly good spending money on Speck here, are you?”

Spike narrowed his eyes and zeroed in on the brunette and let loose a low growl, “Spike,” he corrected seethingly.

Cordelia shot him a furious look, “Did you just GROWL at me?”

Angel held up his hands in surrender, “Cordy does have a point ya know,” Angel said to his friend, “It’s not like you’ve really made any progress…”

“Well give a bloke a chance, would ya?” Spike scoffed, “Bloody hell what were you all expecting in two days?”

Cordelia rolled her eyes, “More than a few witty barbs, that’s for sure.”
“Yeah, you said she just walked away,” Angel furthered.

“I LET her walk away,” Spike argued, “I coulda followed her, made her life a living hell for the rest of the day but breaking down a chit like this girl takes planning. You can’t just rush into it.”

“When have you ever had a plan?” Angel wondered humorlessly.

Spike looked defensively at his taller friend, ‘I have plans all the time!” Angel looked to Cordelia, who shared in his skeptical look as Spike continued,

“But then I get tired of waiting.”

“Fine,” Angel started as Giles entered the studio alongside Buffy. Angel stopped his thought for a moment to survey the small blonde. Cordelia straightened in her seat, prepared to take on anything Buffy might dish out.

Spike however, just stared at the girl, blatantly. He’d been too busy trying to bombard her the other day that he’d never taken the time to get a good look at her.

She was far better looking than he would have guessed, based on everyone’s tales of her behavior. Her long, blonde hair that fell below her shoulders; bronzed, flawless skin; large green eyes and full, glossy lips. Nice figure: small but tight. Toned legs and arms, taut stomach and a ripe, curvy bum. She was almost pleasant.

Giles gave the girl a final nod before directing her to take a seat. Buffy turned and locked eyes with Spike. He raised one eyebrow in acknowledgement and curled his tongue between his teeth, deliberately challenging her to look away first.

She did. With an audible groan of disgust, she forcefully slung her bag up and over her shoulder as she moved to her chair; the momentum of the heavy canvas lobbing behind her and intentionally cracking into Spike’s head as she passed him. A brief chorus of choked laughs were heard as Spike winced and grabbed the side of his face.

She turned back to survey her damage only when she’d arrived at her seat, shooting the blonde man daggers as he glared back at her in contempt, still massaging the tender spot of his temple.

Cordelia and Angel were still laughing before the boy leaned over to Spike and finally finished his thought. “Fine, “Angel started up again, “New plan. Get Buffy to actually like you.”

Spike scoffed, his eyes never leaving the petite blondes across the room. Angel looked to Cordelia for support on his new idea, but she was bored already. The tall man turned back to Spike, “Don’t think you can do it?”
“How much?” Spike immediately asked.

“Hmm…” Angel considered, “500 bucks says you can’t even get Buffy to kiss you before Halloween.”

“Halloween, you stupid git? That’s less than a month away!” Spike whispered.

“I believe in you,” Angel mocked, patting Spike lightly on the shoulder.

Spike batted Angel’s hand away before turning back once more to stare at Buffy.
Giles had now begun listing off the order of the scenes and she was fully rapt with attention. But Spike tuned him out, intent on staring the girl until she was demystified to him. He thought he’d softened her with that jab about the daddy issues the other day but he was clearly mistaken.

Fine. Buffy wanted to play hard to get? Money or no money, Spike loved a challenge.

Buffy spared him an icy glare and his face fell into a smirk before he mouthed to her,

“You’re mine, Summers.”
End Notes:
Thoughts? I know, teasing you with Spuffy crumbs is frustrating! But I promise, more to come! Please review! Thank you!
Beware My Sting by rollastar
Author's Notes:
Spuffy chapter, here we go! Hope you all enjoy it. Some of the dialogue is taken directly from Shakespeare's Taming of the Shrew, you'll know where it is!
And oh dear, since I seemed to have forgotten it before...let me just say now that I own nothing! Joss and Co. own it all. Thanks for the reviews! Enjoy!
Neither of them had worked on the scene before this moment. Indeed, neither of them had spoken or seen one another since two days ago when they’d exchange zippy comebacks.

So it stands to reason that they should have been terrified to perform their scene, on their feet, in front of their classmates and teacher. But they weren’t terrified.

They were furious.

When Giles called their names they both stood immediately and battled to reach the stage area first. Spike got there a fraction sooner, giving Buffy a smug smile. Buffy snickered and rolled her eyes as she moved across the stage to her starting position. Spike moved to the center of the slightly raised platform and readied himself. Giles gave them the go ahead and so they began.

Running on pure adrenaline, Buffy stormed towards him, his back facing her. She stopped a few feet away and slammed her foot down with a resounding bang.

Spike turned around and all but drawled, “Good morrow, Kate; for that's your name, I hear.”

“Well have you heard, but something hard of hearing: They call me Katherine that do talk of me.”

Spike halted for the briefest second, seeing the long passage before him and skipped a few lines, and spewing, “Myself am moved to woo thee for my wife.”

Buffy, to her credit, had not missed a single line, despite the nerves and fury that were roaring inside her. She threw her head back and laughed through her next sentence, ending with two sharp arms held akimbo to her waist.

“Moved! in good time: let him that moved you hither remove you hence: I knew you at the first you were a moveable.”

Spike watched her in equal parts fascination and frustration as he said his next line, “Why, what's a moveable?”

“A join'd-stool.”

Buffy and Spike must have seen the next line of his at the same time, because they caught one another’s stare as Buffy made a quick dash to run away right as Spike got the idea to reach for her waist, “Thou hast hit it: come, sit on me.”

Spike laughed with glee as he held Buffy fiercely against him with one solid arm as his other hand held his script. Buffy’s script was momentarily being crumpled as she clawed at the blonde man’s forearm in a futile attempt to release herself.

As freedom appeared increasingly slim, Buffy instinctively howled and pushed her backside into Spike’s lap in an effort to push him off. That however, only served to ignite something else entirely. The sudden friction of Buffy’s supple ass rubbing up against Spike’s crotch caused him to groan audibly and Buffy blushed with a horrified groan.

“Asses are made to bear, and so are you!” Buffy cried angrily as Spike held onto to her even tighter than before.

“Women are made to bear, and so are you!” Spike snapped back, giving her backside a little bump with his crotch as he spoke his line.

Buffy railed and all but screamed her next line in rage, which only served to amuse Spike more as he responded with;

“Come, come, you wasp; i' faith, you are too angry,” he cackled with delight as Buffy tried to coordinate her script with her free hand that had stopped trying to pry Spike’s arm away and had managed to rest on top of his arm instead.

She thrust backwards again, now fully aware of the bulge in his pants, and attempting to distract him enough to release her.

“If I be waspish, best beware my sting,” she spat, thrusting back again at the end of the line.

But Buffy’s attempts were not having an aggravating affect on Spike. He was hell-bent now more than ever to keep her right in this position. Just the right amount of pressure and it was a blissful mix of pleasure and pain.

“Who knows not where a wasp does wear his sting? In his tail,” Spike answered back, turning Buffy away from his body finally only to smack her firmly on the ass as he said his line.

“In his tongue,” Buffy gasped and reached for her tender bottom before she realized that Spike had released her. She narrowed her eyes, ready to attack once more.

“Whose tongue?” Spike quipped, curling his behind his teeth and leering at her like he’d done earlier.

Buffy felt the quiver in her voice suddenly but recovered quickly, “Yours, if you talk of tails: and so farewell.”

Spike laughed loudly as he spoke, “What, with my tongue in your tail? Nay, come again, Good Kate; I am a gentleman.”

Buffy had no reservations about her next line and she marched forward and said, “That I'll try,” and slapped a vicious palm across Spike’s face.

The class audibly gasped and for a moment, Buffy was pulled out the trance she’d been under during the scene. She watched for a second as Spike kept his face turned away, his chest slightly heaving from the unexpected force of the tiny girl’s smack.
Then, before she too could recover, Spike yanked her by the wrist and dragged her up against him, her offending hand locked in his as his other hand held her firmly by the small of her back, her scripted hand wedged between their two bodies. Buffy emitted a tiny squeak as Spike squeezed her wrist before tilting his head and lowering his mouth to her ear.

“I swear I'll cuff you, if you strike again,” he whispered in a low, threatening tone.

For some reason, Buffy didn’t hear it as threatening, she heard it as some sort of wicked promise and that sudden thought scared the shit out of her.

Since her script was trapped between them, and Spike’s grasp of her had yet to be relinquished, Buffy uttered the only line she could think of to finish the scene.

She lifted herself onto her toes and returned Spike’s whisper, “I chafe you if I tarry: let me go.”

Clapping rang out suddenly, including a wolf-whistle, which Spike was certain came from Angel. In his periphery, Spike could see Giles stand up from his seat and regale the class with the finer details of the next assignment, but Spike wasn’t really paying attention.

He and Buffy held their position for a beat longer before realizing they could in fact, separate. They pushed away quickly, each of them sparing the other a quick glance before tearing off to collect their belongings and leave.

* * * * * * * * * * * *

“What the hell was that?” Angel crowed mirthfully as he, Spike and Cordelia made their way out the doors from the Acting studio.

“S’nothing,” Spike shrugged, still a bit shaken by what had actually happened in class.

“Nothing my ass!” Angel continued, oblivious.

He knew girls like Buffy, high and mighty, holier than thou attitudes, blah blah blah…
Her pride was a precious thing and if she felt as though Spike was already onto her he’d lose her completely. And then he’d be forever out 500 bucks.

Spike had been fully prepared for a fight, and Buffy had given him one from the beginning. And he’d been fully prepared to get frustrated by the bint’s utter lack of reaction to things that typically made girls swoon over him….
But something had occurred during that scene that he wasn’t fully prepared for…

Sure, she was attractive…gorgeous, really. But her insufferable self-righteous attitude was enough to drive a bloke ‘round the bend. He didn’t need her to be gorgeous or athletic and fiery…there were plenty of attractive girls on campus he could admire and use accordingly. He needed her to lower her defenses; and that would not come easily. It just made it more enjoyable that she looked ridiculously hot in that tight, light blue cashmere sweater and those black leather pants…writhing against him as she struggled to break free while he laughed in delight. Her beautifully bronzed face tinged with a rosy blush…her chest heaving up and down as she panted, desperately trying to catch her breath; her small but delicious breasts pushing her sweater’s fibers to their limits with every inhalation….

Oh god, he thought to himself. She totally turned him on…

* * * * * * * * * * * *

Buffy tore through the halls of the acting studio; her bag carelessly slung over her shoulder, her face still flushed from playing out that scene with Spike.

“It was nothing,” she said to herself, “Just adrenaline. The rush of public performance….it was nothing…”

She found herself constantly looking around as she made her way through the doors and out into the courtyard. She’d left in a hurry, but she didn’t want to chance running into anyone from class on her way out. She didn’t need their curious glances or their questions…

Not that anyone would say anything…because nothing happened, she reminded herself.

It was just raw….natural….talent! Yes, talent! She and Spike were just some of those lucky few of whom acting came naturally….and she’d admit some modest chemistry existed between them to have pulled off their scene without any prior rehearsal…..but that was all.

She supposed Spike was remotely good-looking….it’s not like she was blind…she found men attractive all the time. But then she’d feel pity that they’d inevitably screw her over if she put her trust in them. It wasn’t worth it. It was never worth it…even if he had piercing blue eyes and gorgeous bow lips…and deadly cheekbones that made his face seem chiseled. Even if his body was cut like a god’s, all sinewy and compacted muscle…

But none of this mattered. Spike had been a presumptuous, antagonistic asshole from the first day she’d met him. He’d rattled her with his too insightful comments about her father and she wouldn’t soon forget that. No, it didn’t matter what she’d felt back there during that scene…or the image of his face when he’d stared back at her or the sensation of his strong arms holding her against him….

He was a guy. The worst of the worst, she’d wager…with his leather coat and punkish looks, his cocky smirk and bad boy swagger routine…

Oh god, she thought to herself. He totally turned her on.
End Notes:
So...what'd ya think? There's trouble a-brewing....

Please Review!
Goodly Company by rollastar
Author's Notes:
Sorry for the pause in updates! Here's the next chapter! A bit of intrigue and set-up for what's to come. Hope you like it! Thank you to all who reviewed, sorry if I haven't responded. Enjoy!
“Why is everyone involved in each other’s lives?” Xander balked.

Tara shook her head solemnly as Willow answered, “You just don’t understand soap operas, Xan.”

Xander whimpered and collapsed back into his chair, “Why is this stuff even allowed on?”

Willow gave a shrug as Tara giggled quietly and went back to her book, “Student lounge, Xander…at ten in the morning,” she reminded him, “Nobody else here.”

Xander scoffed and turned his head to look outside the window. Unseasonable rain had manifested itself all weekend and was still going strong this dreary Monday morning. The young man took a moment to study the shape of the raindrops falling onto the window before a certain new voice shook off his daze.

Cordelia Chase stood in the doorway, slightly damp from the weather and had just called out to Willow. Xander, for no other reason than posturing, sat up and smoothed down his shaggy hair before gracing the tall brunette with a goofy smile.

Cordelia returned it with her own dazzling one. And took a seat on the edge of the couch where Willow and Tara were seated and began bombarding Willow with questions.

Willow felt dizzy before she managed to halt Cordelia’s frenzied interrogation with a hand to the girl’s shoulder.

“Whoa, whoa, whoa,” Willow urged, giving the girl a nervous smile, “I only caught the first half of that.”

“Sorry,” Cordelia said bashfully, “I’m just at a total loss with this whole Shakespeare thing. Like, Shrew was easy cause it was about guys hitting on me, but this scene, I just don’t understand.”

She thrust the piece of paper into Willow’s hands and waited expectantly. Tara, to her credit just gave Willow a sympathetic smile and returned once more to her reading. Xander however, stayed riveted by the tall brunette, but never said a word.

Willow gave Cordelia an apprehensive glance before noticing her assigned piece.

“Well, it’s a monologue…” Willow started.

Cordelia nodded slowly and gave Willow a shrug, “So? That’s it? I mean, that’s all I need to know? Come on, Willow! You’re supposed to be a genius at this stuff!”

Willow sighed and turned her head, noticing Xander still obliviously drooling in his chair. The redhead rolled her eyes before gasping at a sudden brilliant plan.

Her devious subplot had backfired with aplomb. Certainly after Cordelia had divulged that Buffy now knew the two brunettes were an item…so now Willow had no sanctified schedule in which to try and weasel Xander into Cordy’s life…unless…

“Actually, Xander’s the better person to talk to about this one,” Willow said finally, giving Cordy her best resolve face.

Cordy stared at her blankly before slowly turning to regard the boy, “You’re a Shakespeare expert?”

“Boy, do I ever,” Xander said absently, nodding along unknowingly.

Without stealth, Willow smacked Xander in the chest, rattling the young man back to reality. He looked around and wiped his chin before addressing the ladies before him.
“Sorry, huh?”

Willow shook her head in unmasked annoyance with her best friend before repeating her cover story loudly, “I was telling Cordelia you’re a better person to study Shakespeare with!”

Xander’s face blanched, “What?”

Tara gave her girlfriend a smirk before sitting up and packing her books, “Umm, Willow? We s-s-should hurry if we wanna m-m-make that meeting.”

Willow shared a knowing smile with the blonde and nodded, but not before giving Cordy a friendly pat on the back, “Yeah, we really should go. But Xander can help. See ya later, Cordy.”

Cordy gave her a suspicious look but shrugged and turned back to Xander as he looked to his two friends pitifully.

“Bye Xander,” Tara said sweetly and Willow gave him a sly thumbs up.

Xander exhaled sharply and looked back to Cordy in dismay, “I just got played,” he muttered.

Cordy cleared her throat, “Xander…”

Xander looked at the brunette in earnest and laughed ironically, “Look, Cordelia, Willow’s just being a friend. We both know I’m not—“

Cordy tipped her head to one side, looking back at the boy fondly as he spoke. She couldn’t explain why, but his insecurity and honesty sparked something in her.
She laughed automatically, and motioned Xander to sit beside her on the sofa. He took a large gulp before doing as instructed and gave her another grin.

“Maybe you can help me after all,” Cordelia offered.

“I can try,” Xander said.

Cordelia handed him the monologue and gave him an encouraging smile as he began to read over the words, giggling undoubtedly at some of the more antiquated language. She didn’t mind Xander. Definitely a cutie, in that total nerdy type way…and yet, he had a pretty decent body for a dork. His arms were obviously cut, given the way his long sleeves pulled against the muscles. Unfortunately, he hid the rest of his reasonable body under a loose Hawaiian shirt and baggy cargo pants.

Cordelia felt a tinge of guilt suddenly, then quickly brushed it off. Angel was being a pest recently. After Buffy and Spike’s sexual tension-athon last Friday, all Angel could talk about was how he didn’t want to lose 500 dollars to “Captain Peroxide”, as he called his “friend”. Angel cared more about taking care of “Buffy and her attitude” than he did about her. Well that was just unacceptable. But there was no way she’d let word get out that she was beginning to believe Buffy’s opinion about Angel…even if she was starting to come around to that…

In the meantime, she’d amuse herself with Xander; the cute but awkward sorta hunky geek that had the total hots for her. It was perfect. Get the attention she deserved and drive Angel into a jealous rage that makes him notice her again. She wasn’t being a bitch, this was necessity. All she wanted was her boyfriend to pay attention to her…she wasn’t asking for the moon.

Cordelia turned to face Xander once more and put a deliberate hand on his knee, “So, wanna meet me before and after my acting class today and help me some more?”

Xander could do nothing but nod.

* * * * * * * * * * * *

“Sweetie, it’s not that I don’t think Xander deserves to find love, but do you really think you should keep forcing him on Cordy?” Tara asked carefully as they made their way down the concrete path, hand in hand.

“I said I’d help him,” Willow explained with a shrug, “And like you said, Xander deserves to have somebody special.”

“Oh I know you’re just being a good friend,” Tara amended, “It’s just…sometimes it’s not in the cards for two people to be together.”

Willow ceased their walking to look at her girlfriend pointedly, “So you think Cordelia’s meant to be with Angel?”

Tara gave her a sly smile, “I didn’t say that.”

Willow tried to conceal her own smile at Tara’s comeback as they resumed their walking, “At least our cards said each other.”

Tara giggled as Willow nudged her with her shoulder before both girls broke into laughter.

“Get a fucking clue!”

The two girls mirth was quickly stamped out by the sudden yelling. One quick survey of the grounds before them revealed the source of the noise.

“Speaking of not in the cards…” Willow muttered as Buffy came into sight, followed closely by Spike.

Buffy cut a furious path down the sidewalk, face flushed with rage as Spike finally caught up to her and grabbed her wrist, spinning her around to face him.

“Oh get off your high horse, Goldilocks. I helped you back there and you know it.”

Buffy wrenched her hand away from him, only to shove it back in his face with an accusing finger. “You got in my way, as usual.”

Spike scoffed and batted her finger out of his face, “I saw that Warren git was bothering you so I—“

“Acted like an even BIGGER git and Got. In. My. Way!” Buffy fumed.

“You’re such a bitch, d’you know that?” Spike smiled in spite of his harsh words.

“So I’ve heard,” Buffy snickered and turned to leave.

Spike once again grabbed her hand to stop her, “We’re not finished.”

“Oh, we most certainly are,” she warned, bringing her knee up to attempt a dirty hit to Spike’s crotch.

“Hey, hey, hey,” he said with a laugh as he caught her leg inches before she could rack him, “None of that.”

Buffy released a strangled groan and pulled away from him, setting her leg back down, “Leave me alone.”

“Now where’s the fun in that?” Spike asked with a smirk.

“Is that what this is?’ Buffy wondered aloud, her eyes narrowing, “You just show up in my life suddenly and decide, Woof! There’s a girl that’ll want nothing to do with me, I think I’ll terrorize her!”

Spike laughed, loudly. She wasn’t wrong…entirely…

“Oh Buffy…we both know that’s not true…”

“What? You’re not terrorizing me?”

Spike smirked, “You don’t want nothing to do with me,” he purred.

Buffy rolled her eyes as Spike took a step toward her, eyeing her up and down.

“What happened last Friday was a freak of nature,” Buffy snorted.

Spike moved in closer still, and yet Buffy didn’t back away. He smiled, reaching out enclosing both her hands in his.

Buffy swallowed nervously, but remained still in her spot as she watched Spike examine their hands together.

“It was a bloody revelation,” He said softly, turning her palm over to survey the smooth skin on the other side. Buffy watched his face in fascination as he continued to trace mindless patterns along her wrists.

It’d been a long time since she’d let a guy get this close to her. And she didn’t mean emotionally. It was a given that she’d remained guarded for close to seven years now. But physically…she’d had a couple moments of weakness back in high school, and once her freshman year…but it was just sex…followed by lots of self flagellation on why casual sex made her no better than the men that happily had it with her.

Such was Buffy logic. But this…what was happening now…she didn’t understand it. Yes, Spike had come into her life suddenly and like a fever, spread. He was everywhere! In her class, as her scene partner, at the coffee house, in the courtyard…

“In your dreams,” her brain added silently. Buffy grimaced at that thought, however true it was. So she’d had a few innocent (and not so innocent) daydreams about the bleached-blonde since their…whatever it was…in class on Friday. A girl had needs, and thankfully Buffy had learned early that those needs could sometimes be self-fulfilled.

“But why him,” her brain wondered?
“Because he is everywhere all of the sudden,” she reasoned with herself.
“Because he’s hot,” her body chimed in.
“Because you like him,” her brain added.

“Why am I even arguing with you?” She suddenly said aloud, ripping her hands out of Spike’s gentle hold.

Spike watched her for a moment before easily sliding his hands into his coat pockets. “Weren’t arguing just now, luv,” he reminded.

Buffy blushed, realizing she’d said that last thought aloud. She briefly considered apologizing to Spike, explaining that she’d meant her comment for her brain and not him.

That line of reasoning made her dizzy. She shut her eyes tightly and sighed.

“No—I just…never mind,” she muttered, rubbing her temples, “God you’re confusing.”

Spike smirked at that, tipping his head down to see her expression, “Thinking about me long and hard, are you?”

Buffy’s head shot up at his words. Spike wiggled his eyebrows at his innuendo as she groaned in delayed response, “Oh! You’re such a pig!”

Spike clicked his tongue and grabbed her elbow, “Oh come on, Kitten. If you want the real thing, all you gotta do is play nice.”

Once more, Buffy pried herself free of his touch, “What is your problem?” She practically yelled, “Why won’t you just leave me alone?”

“Don’t want to,” he said simply.

Buffy scoffed, “Well I want you—“

“I knew it,” Spike breathed, grabbing her by the arms and slamming her into his chest.

Buffy shrieked, her fists pounding on his chest, “I was gonna say I want you to leave me alone!”

“Shh,” he ignored her protests, “Don’t tell fibs, luv. It’s unbecoming.”

“I’m not fibbing,” she grunted, struggling against his hold, “And don’t call me that.”

Spike relented, sighing deeply as he released her. She bellowed in surprise as his arms suddenly dropped and she propelled backwards, catching herself before falling.

He watched her hold out a hand to steady herself and catch her breath,

“Fine. But you can’t keep this up, Buffy,” he said, pointedly pronouncing her name, “You can’t keep shutting people out because you’re afraid of getting hurt.”

He’d said it so simply, not with malice but with intent all the same. She sent him an icy glare.

“Is that what I’m doing, Spike? Is that what I do? You think you know me?” She spit back incredulously.

Spike smirked and sucked his teeth before shaking his head in resignation, “The lady doth protest too much, methinks.”

Buffy’s eyes narrowed, pursing her lips together in an attempt to bite back the protest to his “protesting too much” comment.

At her silence, Spike just sighed and started to walk away but stopped after he’d gotten a few feet away and turned back to face her.

“I know you feel it,” he told her, “There’s something between us.”

“Revulsion. Disgust,” she said shakily.

Spike gave her a half-hearted smile, lips poised to say something else. Buffy found herself holding her breath to hear his last word, but it never came. He just nodded and spun around again to leave, his duster billowing behind him.

Buffy stood there a moment longer, lips still pursed in defiance. She hadn’t meant for him to hear her comment about him being confusing to her, though it was most certainly the truth. She’d led the “I hate men” crusade for this long precisely because of men like Spike. They’d done nothing but irritate each other for the past week. And now he was all with the insight and the meaningful comments about the two of them…what was he on about? She’d been exceptionally rude to Spike. Brought out her extra special biting commentary just for him, in fact. And though he’d gotten his fair share of nasty barbs in as well, he still kept coming back for more.

Spike was either a glutton for punishment, or way dumber than Buffy had given him credit for…because let’s face it, he couldn’t possibly actually be into her, right? Especially with the way she treated him. Buffy’s modus operandi was her forever litmus test…hurt them before they hurt you and if some rare squire can forego the thorns before the castle, he’ll prove his worthiness and blah blah blah…but that never happens and thus Buffy remains in her tower…

“…and why am I using fairy tale metaphors?’ Buffy groused, spinning on her heels and heading off to her next class.

Somewhere on the forgotten walkway, a dumbstruck Willow and a surprisingly amused Tara still stood, witnesses to all that had just transpired.
End Notes:
What do you think? Please review!
Sharp and Passing Empty by rollastar
Author's Notes:
Hey folks! Sorry for the crazy delay in updating. Life caught up to me! Please Enjoy a nice, LONG chapter. Enjoy!

Disclaimer: I own nothing. Joss and ME own it all. Blah blah blah, forgiveness makes us human...haha.
“Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind; and therefore is wing'd Cupid painted blind—“

Cordelia froze mid speech; eyes closed and posed in a ridiculously dramatic fashion, and opened one eye to spy on her audience. There he was, smiling up at her like a well-behaved beagle.

Xander broke out into applause, unsure what the appropriate thing to do was.
Cordelia smiled and relaxed her theatrical posture before collapsing onto the ground beside him. The desperate specimen that he was, Xander had agreed to “help” Cordy all morning before class…despite his own schedule. They’d long since moved from the student lounge to the courtyard outside the theatre studio and had barely made it through the entire monologue once. Cordelia had stopped mid speech numerous times, making sure Xander was still there, in case Angel took this route to get to class. While there had still been no signs of Angel, Xander had at least kept Cordelia entertained.

“So?” She began, nudging him with her elbow, “How was that?”

Xander nodded, “You’re a natural.”

Cordelia waved off his compliment, but smiled all the same. Truthfully, she was struggling, big time. And she could probably use real help…but Xander’s dotage was contagious, and the guy was actually very charming, in his own oblivious way.

“So, how come you’re single?” Cordelia wondered bluntly.

Xander’s eyes widened in embarrassment. It wasn’t an unfamiliar question. It was certainly one he’d considered numerous times, but to have the object of your affection ask you point blank…well, what does one say?

“Schnaunkneeszerdubloo….” He mumbled incoherently.

Cordelia furrowed her brow in confusion, “Uh…bless you?”

Xander laughed sheepishly, “No…sorry…umm, I don’t umm…” he started before sighing and giving up, “I’m really awkward.”

Cordelia laughed gently, resting a hand on Xander’s leg, “Maybe just a little.”

Xander blushed, but was grateful she’d responded kindly, “Can I uh….can I ask you something now?”

Cordelia had a feeling she knew what the question would be, but she feigned ignorance for the moment and nodded politely.

“Why Angel?”

Cordelia frowned, that was only sort of what she’d been expecting, “Umm…well…he’s cute…and he’s athletic….and he’s….”

Xander watched her intently as she lingered in thought, waiting for her to come up with more reasons.

Finally Cordelia sighed, “Honestly, I don’t know anymore.”

Xander’s face lit up, “Really? Why?”

Cordelia bit her bottom lip in consideration, “Well, I mean…he’s not all that bright sometimes…and he’s kind of bossy, which can I just say, major turn-off? And he uses way too much hair gel…and ever since he made that bet with Spike about Buffy he’s been a total jerk.”

Xander was intrigued. He’d only heard snippets from Willow about Angel’s ill-conceived plan…but he hadn’t known that Angel had made a bet with some guy…and who was Spike? And what exactly was the bet about Buffy?

“Who’s Spike? What bet about Buffy?” Xander voiced his questions.

Cordelia waved her hand absently, “Some guy Angel’s known for, like, ever…he was supposed to just be a distraction for her, ya know? But then Buffy and I got into this fight and I told her I was with Angel and then we were just gonna be like, whatever! But Spike wanted his money so—“

“Wait, there’s money?”

Without missing a beat, Cordelia nodded and continued, “Oh yeah. Angel was gonna pay Spike like, 500 dollars to keep Beasty out of the way but then we figured, why bother now that she knows about me and Angel right? But Spike was like, ‘I want me money’, or however he talks and so Angel, like a scared little boy, totally makes this stupid bet with Spike to get Buffy to fall for him by Halloween or something and I’m all, ‘why waste your money?’ But oh no, Angel’s just gotta be the winner somehow and—“

“Spike’s trying to get Buffy to fall for him?” Xander repeated in disbelief.

Cordelia nodded as Xander laughed, “Does this Spike guy know how impossible that’s gonna be?”

Now it was Cordelia’s turn to laugh, “Yeah well, you didn’t see them in acting class last week. I think it’s working.”

Xander’s jaw could have fallen off it dropped so fast, “What?”

Cordelia shrugged, “Serious sexual tension. I don’t know…and normally I’d be happy to finally see Buffy get some, God knows she needs it but now all Angel can do is worry about losing his stupid bet to Spike!”

Xander nodded absently, listening to her as sudden ideas formed in his own head, “But if Angel just wants Spike to lose, why doesn’t he just tell Buffy about the bet?”

Cordelia snickered, “Yeah, right, and incriminate himself? Besides, Buffy’ll never listen to him long enough to hear it.”

“Well, what if somebody else told her? Someone she trusted?” Xander considered.

“Like who? And no,” Cordelia said, suddenly changing her mind, “I’m tired of Angel’s crazy obsession with Buffy. I think I want him to lose his stupid bet!”

“Really?” Xander chirped.

“Yes!” She reaffirmed, standing triumphantly, “I’m gonna help Spike woo Buffy!”

Xander watched bewildered as he watched her grab her bag and march off with newfound (if not bizarre) motivation before running back seconds later and planting a kiss on his cheek.

“Thanks for your help. See you after my class, right?”

She didn’t wait for a reply. Just as well, Xander couldn’t speak just then anyway.

* * * * * * * * * * * *

Buffy paced back and forth in her apartment, one hand tersely running through her hair as the other held the phone to her ear. She’d lost track of how long she’d been on the phone to her mother. Like it mattered.

“I’m sorry I didn’t call sooner. Yes I know, but it’s only been a few…yes, yes, I got the letter. Of course I read it! When have I ever not—Mom! Yes, I just said I was sorry. Well I it got on Friday Mom, mine wouldn’t have gotten to you today anyway—I know, it’s…yes. I never said that! What do you—how do you know what I’m thinking? I’m not…no, Mom, I’m not going to—“

The front door opened and shut, signaling Cordelia’s entrance into the apartment. Buffy had never been more relieved to see her stepsister.

“Mom, I gotta go, Cordelia just got back and we have class—yeah, she’s great…umm, I should go though, we’re gonna drive to class together,” Buffy lied. “Okay, Mom. Yes, I will. Sure thing. Yep. Love you too…bye.”

Buffy hung up the phone with a heavy hand and a sigh, cursing her luck for coming home in between classes and answering the damn contraption when it rang. She should have known Joyce would be calling about her sudden engagement…and Buffy’s lack of immediate response.

Buffy leaned into the wall for a moment longer, resting her eyes as Cordelia entered the tiny kitchen.

“Oh, hey,” Cordelia said in surprise, “I didn’t realize you were home,” Cordy lied.

She’d heard Buffy’s end of her phone conversation. Cordy had already guessed it was Joyce by her stepsister’s tone. Cordelia had also seen the letter about Joyce’s engagement…though she’d never tell that to Buffy.

Buffy silently nodded, her eyes still closed. Cordelia gave her a look which went unseen by the blonde and moved toward the fridge.

“I’m just grabbing a snack before Acting….” Cordelia felt the need to explain.

Buffy nodded once more, but spoke this time, “Yeah…me too,” she said absently.

Cordelia leaned down to fetch an apple and a bottled water before rising again and nudging the fridge door shut with her hip. She turned to regard Buffy again.

“Umm, not that we ever talk anymore but, are you okay?”

“Sure,” Buffy nodded politely.

“I only ask cause you’re not your usual….ya know…Hurricane-Buffy-self…”

Buffy snickered in spite of Cordy’s jab, “Yeah well…guess I’m worn out.”

Cordelia bit her lip in consideration before setting her snacks down at the table and pulling out a chair for Buffy expectantly.

Buffy gave the girl a skeptical look but rolled her eyes and sat down as instructed.

Cordelia silently moved to grab a knife and back to the fridge for another water before sitting down in the chair across from Buffy.

Buffy watched in curious amusement as Cordelia took the apple and began cutting delicate notches into the top of the fruit, turning it clockwise as she went. That done, Cordy turned the apple on its side and cut off the bottom before cutting up the rest into thin slices.

Once finished, she set aside the knife, pulled gently at the top of the stem and separated the slices, revealing delicate star shapes. Joyce had taught the trick to Buffy, who in turn had taught it to Cordelia when they were younger. It was one of those seemingly mundane things that bonded people, created a memory together.

“Eat,” Cordelia directed.

Buffy just stared at her star apple slice before bursting into tears.

Cordelia’s mouth ceased chewing on her own apple slice as Buffy started crying. The brunette sat frozen for a moment before gingerly finishing her food and swallowing, “Umm…” she started, unsure what to say.

Buffy waved her off, “I’m fine—it’s nothing, it’s—I’m fine. I’m sorry. I’m just—“

Cordelia opened her water bottle and took a swig, “Wow, Buff. I didn’t think you knew how to cry anymore. I’m kind of proud.”

Buffy attempted to give Cordy a dirty look through her now, smudged make-up and bleary eyes, which in turn only made Cordy laugh.

Which made Buffy laugh.

Cordelia took another swig of her water as Buffy took to her star apple slice, eating the pretty shape as she’d always done when they were kids, biting off each point before eating the rest.

* * * * * * * * * * * *

“As you work on your assigned monologues, you’ll each be assigned a new scene and new partners. We will study and dissect those scenes next week and then move on to presentations for your solo projects. Is everything clear?’

A few tardy students were still settling in as Professor Giles finished his beginning lecture. Their Acting class had fortunately kept its numbers since last week, of which Giles was certainly grateful for. And the electric performances by some of his students gave him hope that the remainder of the class would from hereon be inspired.
“I think we had a very successful first performance for our first scenes, don’t you?” He wondered aloud.

Snickers and muffled giggles were heard as Buffy blushed and ducked her head. Everyone knew Giles meant her and Spike’s scene. That’s all anyone could seem to talk about it.

And as she spoke of the devil, Spike entered on cue. Fashionably late, and…was he always that good-looking? Buffy wondered silently. He’d clearly been sleeping, his eyes were a bit blurry and his hair was slightly tousled in a mouth-watering mess of spiky tufts and curls.

Hmph…spiky Spike…Buffy snickered to herself.

He was also sans leather jacket, which Buffy found surprisingly disappointing. There was something majestic about the way the coat billowed behind him. Not that he was suddenly a lost cause to look at without it. His ridiculously toned body, which she’d noticed before, was now on perfect display. His tight black t-shirt clung to every rippling inch of his chest and arms…and the faded denims he wore still rested snugly on his muscular thighs and ass….and whew….Buffy needed to stop now.

She was in a decidedly good mood after her mini-kind of-breakdown in the kitchen with Cordy. The sisters had come to a tentative truce. Buffy surmised later that Cordy had probably heard her on the phone to Joyce, if not seen the engagement announcement. Buffy was silently grateful to Cordelia for feigning ignorance on the whole matter.

And Spike was far too much on her mind lately. It was maddening. Why now? Why after so many blissfully peaceful, man-less, solitary years, did Spike have to show up now?

“Is all our company met?” Giles laughed at his own Shakespeare joke before stamping out his chuckles when no one got the reference. “Very well, “ clearing his throat, he poised his pencil at the roster and began pairing off the class for their newest scenes.

“Andrew and Warren, Cordelia and Spike, Willow and Buffy, Jonathan and Angel. Please pair up, and I’ll come around with your assignments.”

Angel scoffed as he heard his name, leaning over to give Cordelia a quick kiss. She turned her head quickly, leaving him to kiss her cheek instead. She giggled innocently and stood up to sit with Spike. Angel gritted his teeth in mild annoyance before Jonathan slumped into the chair beside him.

Buffy moved to sit next to Willow, passing Spike on her way. Their eyes met, and Spike sent her a wink. She reacted on habit and shot him a dirty look in return. He just smirked and continued to watch her as she finally sat down in her new chair.

Giles began assigning various scenes; some students sounding more enthused than others. Buffy quickly scribbled down her page numbers as Giles came around to her and Willow.

“Buffy you will be Juliet, Willow, the nurse.”

Buffy cringed a bit at her assignment. She’d have to be all bubbly and smitten…not exactly second nature to her. She looked up from her notebook for a moment and caught Spike unashamedly still staring. She cleared her throat and quickly ducked her head to examine her notes again.

“Ah yes, Cordelia…you will be Juliet and Spike you will be Romeo. Enjoy one of the most famous scenes in all of Shakespeare,” Giles said dryly as he nodded and continued on.

Cordelia all but shrieked in excitement, though she was not looking forward to doing this scene with Spike. But she supposed it was the perfect opportunity to help him get Buffy for real and make Angel lose his stupid bet.

Spike sighed at his new assignment. The Balcony scene, bloody brilliant…with Cordelia….that should be a soddin’ train wreck…

It wouldn’t do his reputation much to be spouting off Romeo’s poncey lines about the moon and the sun and all that rot…though he himself found it to be one of the greatest seduction scenes ever written. Of course, no one would ever hear him say that.

Cordelia was already highlighting her lines, Spike stole a quick glance at the brunette and chuckled silently in amusement. She was a line-counter…one of those actresses that measured her worth by the amount she said…just as well, he supposed. Bored, he turned his attention back to Buffy across the room. She was talking to Willow…what seemed to be a fairly decent conversation. That was new.
He smiled in spite of himself and just watched her. She was unaware of his observation for the moment, that much he could tell. Her shoulders were relaxed and her tiny feet were folded underneath her as she spoke to the redhead beside her. She was twirling a pen absently in her hand before lifting the end into mouth and chewing nervously.

Spike’s breath caught in his throat. Oh to be that pen right about now. He wanted her, more than he thought he ever would….and more than he could ever remember wanting someone before. Sure, he’d had women…more than what was flattering if he was speaking to another girl and just enough to make him a stud if he was speaking to a guy.

But something about Buffy intrigued him, and it wasn’t just the money he had riding on this. It was her. The way she just wouldn’t give in. He liked it. Too many birds he’d been with gave it all away at the drop of a hat. That was convenient sometimes, but certainly not worth anything serious. And Spike found himself loving the times she was obviously affected by him and still she wouldn’t relent. Stopping to actually fight with him instead of just ignoring him altogether like he’d seen her do to many a bloke. It made him feel special, manly; to be the one to provoke a reaction in her.

How had he missed her these last three years? He’d been at this school just as long as anybody, and he’d never encountered her. Of course, he’d been a right ponce the last three years…pining over a bad break up and the death of his parents…

Not that his parents death wasn’t devastating. They’d both died within three months of each other, right after his high school graduation. His mother was the first to go, and truthfully he and his father had been prepared for that. She’d been ill for quite some time and finally…June of that summer, she’d passed. It was a bizarre and surreal summer for young William, the name he still went by at the time.

He’d been accepted to every University he’d applied to, even the few in America. William was already to stay in England until a few weeks before he’d been prepared to leave, his father died. Heart attack, very sudden. Because he’d already reached his majority, no stray family member was needed to claim guardianship. He was on his own. He’d been left everything in his mother’s will and he’d assumed everything of his father’s after he’d died…but William didn’t want to stay in England anymore.

So he sold what he could, kept what he wanted, hired someone with his inheritance to maintain the house and left for America to go to college there. Which led him to Sunnydale, California. It was the farthest away he could get, he figured. And that’s exactly what he needed.

His girlfriend at the time of his parent’s passing was a young woman named Drusilla. They’d been together for almost all of high school. When he’d made the decision to leave for California, Drusilla said she’d go with him. It would have been ideal. But grief makes you do strange things.

Angel had been his roommate freshman year, and the taller man had been instantly smitten with Dru. It was just as well, William had begun to neglect Drusilla, or so she’d said. He just didn’t care anymore. William had watched Angel and Dru grow closer over the months she’d stayed at Sunnydale, and that closeness eventually led to the inevitable affair. William was still hurt, just not surprised. Drusilla went back to England the next year.

He and Angel eventually became friends again, but it would forever more be an antagonistic friendship. And as William slowly disappeared and Spike emerged…the antagonism became greater.

Drusilla and Angel’s betrayal had been more bitter than Spike had initially realized, and though the two men had reclaimed some semblance of friendship, Spike was clearly searching for someone to replace Drusilla. Needless to say it never happened, and slowly Spike went back under the radar, focusing more on his studies once again.

Then Buffy happened. Angel was always a git, and his stupid antics just proved it. If Spike didn’t know any better, he’d have thought Buffy was who Angel was after…and a few weeks ago, he would have been happy to let the poor sod drown in his own attempts to catch the tiny blonde.

But now… sure, Buffy still hadn’t warmed up to him and time was running out but she was his to deal with now, not Angel’s. Angel got the girl he said he’d wanted…Angel had gotten Dru when she wasn’t even technically his….why were his women and Angel always connected?

Spike didn’t need the money…he’d never need any money again, not after what he’d inherited. But Angel didn’t need to know that. So what was it? Was this stupid bet about teaching Angel a lesson or was he pursuing it because he actually liked this Buffy chit.

He couldn’t say for sure. She turned him on, he liked goading her, she was hot…but did he actually, like her? He knew he already felt possessive of her and her attention…

“What?” he asked as the sudden tugging on his sleeve broke him out of his thoughts. He turned to see the expectant Cordelia staring back at him.

“I said, do you want to come over and work on this scene?” Cordelia repeated in annoyance.

Spike furrowed his brow in contemplation. Cordelia snickered and smacked his arm, “Well that settles it. You’re definitely coming over to study.”

“What?” Spike asked again.

“Look maybe you can get away with not rehearsing Shakespeare but, I need help. You’re British or whatever, right? You got like, breast-fed this stuff, right?”

Spike clenched his jaw in an attempt to stifle the desire to punch Cordelia for her ridiculous statement just now. He took a deep breath before exhaling slowly and shrugged, feigning indifference.

“Yeah, s’pose I can do that.”

Cordelia nodded but said nothing, as if she was merely just waiting for his inevitable affirmative.

“So, my schedule’s pretty open in the evenings…” Willow explained to the tiny blonde.

Buffy nodded distractedly, daring a look over at Spike and Cordelia. A small smile began to form on her lips as she watched the bleached blonde roll his eyes as Cordelia spoke.

Shaking off her stupor, Buffy turned back to the other girl and nodded once more. “We can use my place too, you know, if we ever need to,” Buffy offered somewhat hesitantly.

Willow gave her a nervous smile, “Great. Does tonight work at all for you?”

“Uh…sure,” Buffy agreed, fishing out a scrap of paper and her pen, “Here’s my address…”

Willow halted Buffy’s hand, “Oh, I already know it.”

At Buffy’s skeptical look, Willow explained, “Cordy asked me to tutor at the beginning of the semester, remember?”

Buffy nodded slowly, indeed remembering the few times Willow had shown up at her door. Suddenly a thought occurred to Buffy as to why the redhead had stopped coming over.

“Didn’t get a lot of studying done, did you?” Buffy asked dryly.

Willow’s face contorted, “No. No, I mean, we did. There was much studying…”

Buffy smirked and leaned in closer to Willow, “You know that I know about her and Angel, right?”

Willow gulped, “Oh…well…”

Buffy shrugged, “Whatever. It’s not like I haven’t tried to warn Cordy about him. He’s a total sleaze-ball.”

Willow nodded, “Oh, I agree. I’m glad she and Xander have—“

The redhead’s cheeks turned crimson at her slip as Buffy’s eyes narrowed.

“What? What about Cordy and Xander?”

“Umm…” Willow chuckled nervously, “He’s…he’s kind of been tutoring her…instead of me…”

Buffy’s face suddenly fell into amusement, “Xander? Has been tutoring Cordy?” Buffy repeated quietly, a satisfied smirk on her face as she leaned even closer to Willow.

“Does Angel know about your little switcheroo?” Buffy whispered.

Seeing the blonde’s excited eyes, Willow swallowed and chanced her own small smile, “No. I don’t think so.”

Buffy bit her lip, “How long has this been happening?”

“Only for a week or so,” Willow explained, “I tried being more subtle at first but Xander’s kind of—“

“Awkward?” Buffy guessed.

Willow nodded, “And oblivious,” she added with a sigh.

Buffy chuckled silently, “You’re a helluva lot sneakier than I would have thought.”

“You’re not mad at me? You’re not gonna like, beat me up or something?”

Buffy furrowed her brow, “Why? You want me to?”

Willow laughed, “No! I just…I know how you—I mean, I’ve heard…you know, how you don’t really think highly of…well…men…”

Buffy snickered and gave Willow a shrug, “Yeah…well, most of them have never really given me a reason to think otherwise.”

Willow echoed Buffy’s shrug and nodded, “Yeah, I mean…I’m obviously not a member of the boys rule fan club either…at least, not the dating fan club…” Willow rambled, “But Xander’s one of the good ones.”

Buffy snickered again, “If you say so.”

Giles cleared his throat and caught the class’s attention before giving them some final instruction on expectations of the newly assigned scenes. More precision, a simple set and costumes were required this time. Once dismissed, Willow gave Buffy a tentative good bye before suggesting a time for them to meet that evening. Buffy nodded her agreement and finished collecting her own belongings.

On the other side of the room, Cordelia was administering a similar contract with Spike, only with less asking and more demanding.

Spike nodded for the hundredth time in silent understanding of what Cordelia had scheduled for them. He glanced across the studio to see Buffy heading for the door and scowled at Cordelia when she once again repeated her instructions.

“So, you’ll come over at seven sharp, right?”

“Cordelia, yes. For fuck’s sake, I heard you the first hundred times.”

“Don’t snap at my girl, “Angel’s voice suddenly sounded as he came up behind Cordelia and snaked his arm around her waist.

Cordelia visibly grimaced at Angel’s actions but quickly plastered on a smile as the large man bowed his head to place a kiss on her cheek.

Her recovery wasn’t quick enough for Spike. He saw the annoyed look the brunette gave her boyfriend. He smirked but said nothing.

“Fine then, we done?” He asked, cursing silently when he realized Buffy had already left.

The three of them made for the exit, Angel’s massive arm wrapped protectively around Cordelia’s shoulder. Spike was a few steps ahead of them, keeping his eyes open for any signs of Buffy. He’d wanted to talk to her after class, make his next move…but damn it if real classroom logistics had gotten in the way.

* * * * * * * * * * * *

The truce between Buffy and Cordelia was about to die a thousand deaths in T-minus ten minutes.

Buffy just didn’t know it yet.

The blonde took another bite of her pasta and chewed slowly, watching Cordelia suspiciously as the brunette ran around their apartment hurriedly tidying everything up.

Cordy had barely touched the pasta Buffy had made for dinner. This was partly due to the shock of Buffy having cooked. For her and at all. Buffy was notoriously a kitchen disaster and brief-bonding-star-shaped-apple-slice-moment notwithstanding, Cordelia couldn’t be sure Buffy hadn’t poisoned her dinner.

No one was more surprised at the sudden olive branch than Buffy herself. But she was in a strangely better mood after her acting class today. Seeing Spike had helped, though it was from afar all day. She’d stab herself with her fork before she’d admit that out loud though. And had that been disappointment she’d felt that he hadn’t been around after class to pester her? Wow. She needed to get a grip. Her ball-buster reputation was seriously in trouble.

“You gotta hot date or something?” Buffy snickered as she continued to watch her sister.

Cordelia shot her an annoyed look, “Like you’d ever be this calm if that was true.”

Buffy shrugged, “Can’t argue with that,” she chuckled, spinning around to deposit her plate and fork into the sink and started the water to wash the dishes.

“I’ll wash, despite having cooked…” Buffy called out.

“Great,” Cordelia returned distractedly.

“Since you’re…” Buffy continued to herself, “running around like a chicken with her head cut off…”

Cordelia paused her obsessive straightening and studied Buffy for a moment. Cordy debated whether or not telling her that she too was expecting her scene partner over…in now five minutes…but she’d find out soon enough…but if Cordy was gonna help Spike….Buffy could at least make it easier….

“Umm, Buffy?” Cordelia wondered, still staring.

Buffy shut off the water and grabbed a dish towel to dry off her hands as she spun back around to face the brunette. Cordelia’s brow was furrowed, her lips in a decisive pout.

“What?” Buffy asked irritably.

“Could you…you know…maybe clean yourself a bit?” Cordy asked. Damn it, but if subtle was a hard thing for her.

Buffy gave her a raised eyebrow, “Why?” she asked, looking down at her sweat pants and tank top, “I’m just studying. Willow doesn’t care.”

“Yeah but…” Cordelia struggled to come up a viable excuse to get Buffy to look more presentable. She glanced at the microwave clock, the green digital numbers burning into her retinas as she realized Buffy was about to throttle her in three minutes….give or take.

Knock, Knock.

Cordelia’s eye widened to comical proportions. Buffy gave her a glare when the taller girl remained frozen in place.
“Cordy?” Buffy asked, “You gonna get the door?”

Cordelia shook her head, “Umm…I have to use the bathroom. Be back in a flash.”

And with that, she scurried off and slammed the door behind her. Buffy wrinkled her brow in utter confusion, and mild annoyance….but shrugged and with a sigh, went to fetch the door to welcome….

“Spike?” Buffy gasped, her voice embarrassingly screechy. She grimaced as he smirked. “What the hell are you doing here?”

She couldn’t help it. He was just standing there. It was only natural to snap at him.

Spike’s smirk grew deeper. Buffy was clearly not expecting to see him here. Cordelia’s a cheeky bint, he thought to himself.

“Well, well, well,” Spike drawled, “Someone’s happy to see me.”

Buffy scoffed. Not that there wasn’t that small, indiscernible part of her that was totally doing belly-flops at seeing Spike standing in her doorway, all leather and swagger….but how dare he assume anything about her!

“What are you doing here?” She repeated as casually as she could muster, folding her arms indignantly across her chest.

Spike chuckled and leaned against the doorframe, making no attempt to come inside. “Cordelia and I are rehearsing.”

Buffy’s eyes bugged out, “What?”

“You heard me.”

Buffy was gonna kill Cordelia. That’s why she was straightening up the apartment? How dare she invite, of all people….to her apartment, and NOT TELL HER!

Buffy closed her eyes briefly and cringed. That’s why Cordelia wanted her to clean herself up….that nosy, good for nothing stepsis---Oh God, Buffy thought, looking down at her outfit with far more scrutiny….she did look like a complete slob.

Spike cleared his throat, breaking Buffy of her thoughts. Her eyes shot open once more and she gave him her best look of defiance.

“Excuse me,” she said, and made a mad dash for her room.

Spike pursed his lips in consideration before shrugging and turning around to step out of the doorway and back into the street, lighting himself a smoke.
Cordelia stuck her head out of the bathroom when she’d heard Buffy’s room door slam shut. Oh my God, Buffy might just really kill her this time…

Seconds later, Buffy reemerged, but her clothes remained the same. She’d had a mini-breakdown in her room before remembering herself and reminding her stupid girly brain that she didn’t change for any guy. Especially one that was confusing and frustrating and annoying and unwelcome! Not matter how stupidly sexy he might be.

“Cordy,” Buffy said calmly, ushering her sister to come out of the bathroom.

“Hey Buff,” Cordelia smiled nervously, inching out from behind the door.

“I don’t think I need to tell you—“

Cordelia cut her off, “Would you believe I forgot you lived here too?”

Buffy gave her a blank, unamused stare, “Since Willow’s coming over too, I’m gonna let this slide this time.”

Cordelia worried her bottom lip as she casually walked closer to the hallway, “Oh yeah…Willow called me…she’s not feeling well, guess she’s not coming.”

Buffy scoffed, “What? Why didn’t she call me? I’m her scene partner!”

Cordelia shrugged, “Yeah, and I just remembered, I do have a date tonight…so…” she continued, edging closer to the exit as Buffy’s realization flared dangerously.

“I’m just gonna go now….you’ll tell Spike, right? Thanks, bye!” Cordelia finished with a quick grab at her purse and bolted out the door, not bothering to acknowledge Spike still standing outside.

The bleached blonde man watched his tricky scene partner blaze past him and he couldn’t help but laugh. That is, until her turned back to see Buffy standing in the doorway, her face flushed and looking pissed as hell.

Holy fuck if she didn’t look hotter to him at this moment than she ever had.

He smirked, slinking back up to the doorframe and giving the trim a knock for good measure.

Buffy stood motionless, unable to believe the audacity of everyone around her. She spared Spike a glance when he knocked and raised an eyebrow.

“What are you still doing here?” she asked with a sigh.

“Aren’t you gonna invite me in?” He wondered innocently.

Buffy rolled her eyes, “This is against my better judgment but, fine. Come in, Spike.”

He smiled and gave her a polite nod before taking one wide step over the threshold. Planting both feet firmly on the ground, he let out a chuckle and looked around at the apartment, “Presto…no barrier.”

Buffy eyed him cautiously as she moved behind him to close the door before stepping around him once again and headed straight for the kitchen.

“Nice place, luv,” he said after a moment, a few steps behind her.

“Thanks,” she mumbled, opening the fridge for lack of anything better to do.

“So…about all this, tonight…” Spike started to say before Buffy cut him off.

“I know you didn’t know, Spike. Let’s just drop it,” Buffy urged.

“What if I did know?” He suddenly asked, causing Buffy to look up and give him a hard glare.

“You planned all this out, to what? Corner me?” She asked bitingly.

Spike truly hadn’t known what Cordelia had planned. Though he’d be lying if he said he didn’t appreciate the help. He’d have to thank her later. But he was curious to know what Buffy would do if he ever made a bolder move than he had in the past. As it was, the month of September was coming to a close, which meant he roughly had a month to woo Buffy lest he give Angel the smug satisfaction of winning the bet. That certainly wouldn’t do. And besides, he’d grown rather fond of the feisty blonde, it was a win-win situation as far as he could tell.

“You’re a stubborn chit, you know that Summers?” He said, slowly moving toward her.

Buffy released the fridge door, letting its own vacuum hinge seal itself shut again as she backed up with every step he took forward.

“So?” She retorted, somewhat shakily. Why wasn’t she leaving the room?

“So,” Spike echoed, “All this dancing around each other is bloody frustrating,” He explained coolly, still inching closer.

Buffy felt her backside bump into the counter, her hand pathetically outstretched to keep him at bay. Corner her, indeed. She was letting herself get cornered. Why wasn’t she stopping him? She felt like one of those idiot girls in horror films that run back into the house…

“You think we’re dancing?” Buffy asked lamely. She was only half listening to what Spike was actually saying. The other half of her brain was too enthralled with the actual manner in which the words were spilling out of his really, kissable mouth. The accent, the baritone depth of his silky words….all adding to the kissable mouth factor.

“It’s all we’ve ever done,” he practically purred. Buffy swallowed hard when he reached for her defensively placed hand and wrapped his larger ones around it. She watched, her breath hitching as he leaned in and began to place delicate kisses on her knuckles. Her eyes fluttered at the sensation. This was not happening to her. She would not be seduced like some….some….girl…who got seduced…

“Are you trying to seduce me?” She couldn’t believe she’d actually asked that out loud, “I really just said that didn’t I?”

Spike’s laugh rumbled low in his chest, lowering her hand down but keeping it held in his before he took one final step, his body inches away from hers.

He tilted his head and raised his free hand to tuck a stray lock of hair behind her ear. It was a move that in all her years of guy-bashing Buffy had genuinely missed. Something about it was so thoroughly romantic and tender, two things she wouldn’t admit she actually was…drove her back to fairy-tale land….

“Do you want me to seduce you?” Spike asked, breaking her from her daydream. His left hand still holding hers tightly at their sides while his right one lovingly continued to stroke her hair.

“Why…” she stammered, suddenly overcome with a totally different kind of defensiveness. “Why would you want to? Me…I mean, seduce me?” she rambled.

She was insecure. But Spike knew that already. He’d told her as much when he’d warned her to stop shutting people out. She hated how someone she barely knew could get under her skin and be so damn insightful so quickly. Of course she didn’t want to get hurt, who does? Yes her attitude was a defensive mechanism, and it worked…usually.

But Spike hadn’t seemed to care, which Buffy was sure was part of his appeal. But it could also be some dastardly plan to make a fool out of her…

“Why wouldn’t I want to seduce you?” Spike asked, running with her chosen motif. His right hand now coasted down from her hair and onto her bare arm, rubbing gently up and down its length.

Buffy furrowed her brow at his response, realizing he wasn’t really answering any of her questions. “I haven’t exactly been nice to you—“

Spike chuckled again, releasing her hand and bringing both of his to rest on her hips. He pulled back slightly to gauge her reaction. When she didn’t protest or move, he smiled.

“I like you all mean and feisty,” he whispered, his hot breath fanning her ear and neck. She shuddered audibly as his mouth drew closer to her lobe, his teeth suddenly biting down teasingly.

At her gasp, Spike lifted his head back up and looked at her face. She look terrified, but her cheeks were flushed a gorgeous rosy pink. He smiled again.

“I want you,” was all he said.

Buffy’s breathing had become ragged. She was staring at him with equal parts lust and fear. God she wanted him too. But she’d spent too many years fighting the good fight to just give in to some guy she barely knew…no matter how much she wanted to.

“I know you want me,” Spike spoke again, that irritatingly calm and seductive drawl.

Buffy tried to school her face into an angry expression but she couldn’t make it. She was far too curious to see just how far Spike would take this little impromptu seduction.

“Say I do want you, “ she attempted, “What then?”

He smirked, snaking one arm completely behind her and resting that hand on the small of her back while the other one remained at her hip. The movement pressed their bodies even closer than before and Buffy’s hands instinctively braced themselves on his biceps. Good God those were some nice arms.

“Kiss me,” he said. He’d meant it as a direction, and Spike silently cursed himself for allowing a small trace of pleading to enter. He could only hope Buffy didn’t notice.

She hadn’t. She was too confused. There she was, Miss Holier-Than-Thou, Men Will Only Give You Heart Ache, pressed up against the bane of her existence these past two months and he wanted to kiss her….and what was more hysterical, she wanted to kiss him too….

“Kiss me,” he said again, clutching her tighter as his mouth hovered over hers dangerously.

Buffy’s eyes darted to his questing mouth and she dared to brush her tongue out quickly to wet her lips in nervous anticipation. That did it. Her following shriek was swallowed as Spike’s mouth collided with hers in a bruising kiss.

She groaned as his tongue sought entrance into her mouth and she allowed her eyes to slip shut, reveling in the feel of his lips on hers. His left hand still holding her at the small of her back, his right one now tangled back in her hair.

Her own hands, which had been delightfully perched on his taut, muscular arms were now clumsily fondling his shoulders and neck. He moaned into her mouth as his tongue dueled with her own before her pulled back ever so slightly to suck on her bottom lip, his right hand now tracing feathery patterns along her collarbone.
Her hands slinked up his neck to play with the nape and scratch his hair affectionately.

His long, slender fingers clutched her chin and pulled her jaw to the side as his mouth now began trailing. Peppering her ears and neck with soft, wet kisses. He dropped his hand and proceeded to rest them both on her hips once more.

She gasped and involuntarily bucked against him when his tongue came out and licked up the column of her throat. He released a low growl at her sudden move and pressed his fingers tighter into her hips, holding her down.

She grabbed the sides of his head and brought his mouth back to her own, lips and tongues twirling and crashing against one another as blunt teeth nibbled and teased.

Finally, the need for air forced them to pull apart, both breathing heavy and faces flushed. Buffy’s head fell back and she screwed her eyes shut, disbelieving what she’d just done. Spike face fell forward, his head resting in the crook between her neck and shoulder, his mouth lazily placing kisses on her collarbone as he tried to steady his own breathing.

“Buffy,” he practically whimpered, nudging her neck with his nose and inhaling her scent with a sharp intake of breath.

Her name. The way he’d said it. No, no, no, this wasn’t supposed to happen.

Her eyes shot open and she brought her head back down, pushing him off her.

“Get out,” she said quickly, starting for her bedroom.

Spike stood where she’d pushed him and watched her in confusion as she made for her door.

“Luv,” He began, calling after her.

“No,” she stopped him, her one hand outstretched as the other was on the bulb of her doorknob. She didn’t look at him. She couldn’t.

“You need to leave. This didn’t happen. I don’t know what that was.”

Spike observed her for a moment, silently debating whether or not to argue with her logic.

Why wouldn’t he leave, she wondered. Any other guy would have been too proud to just stand there. It was what they did, wasn’t it? Leave.

So why wasn’t he?

“Buffy…” he attempted again, taking a step forward only to halt once more when she jutted her hand out again.

Still, she refused to look at him. She was close to tears now. They’d shared a kiss, one damn kiss…and she already wanted more. This wasn’t happening. This couldn’t happen. This way leads to hurt and she made herself a promise.

“No,” she said again, “Damn it, Spike. Why won’t you just get out of here?”

She heard him sigh gruffly before his boots were hitting the floorboards and marching past her. She sighed in relief as she heard the front door swing open.

But then a pair of strong arms were on her, turning her around to face their owner.

She gasped as he nudged her against her closed bedroom door and stared her down, his hands still fastened on her upper arms, locking them down against her sides.

“You gonna hit me?” She balked, mad that she actually sounded a bit afraid.

She watched as the muscles in his jaw ticked, his icy glare fixed on her as his fingers squeezed her arms with a bit more pressure than before.

“What are you afraid of?” He asked, somehow at once soft and harsh.

Buffy blinked confusedly, wincing at his grip before he ceased squeezing her arms. He kept his hands locked down however.

“I don’t…I don’t know what you’re talking about,” she spat, not nearly as confidently as she wished.

He released one of her arms and slammed his palm against the door beside her head in frustration. Buffy flinched and took the opportunity to push him away from her once again.
“Damn it, Buffy. I like you!” He all but whined.

Buffy attempted to steady her breathing, watching him intently as he ran a shaky hand through his hair, loosening the formerly slicked back strands.

““I want you! I’m going bloody crazy here!” He ranted, cutting a dizzying circle in front of her.

“But you!” he emphasized with an accusing finger pointed at her, “You keep pushing me away! I mean, what does it bloody take to make you see? I’m not like the other blokes you’ve dealt with, you know? We fight, we squabble, yeah but, we both like it and clearly the general public’s trying to push us together and then we have a brilliant snog and you push me away, tell me to get out, act like it didn’t happen?”

Buffy was confused, to say the least. This was not an easy situation for her. She’d gone so long avoiding these exact scenarios because they inevitably led to nothing of the good. She wanted Spike, but she couldn’t shut off seven years of defensiveness and guarded posturing. She still wasn’t sure she wanted to…even for as much as she wanted him, or how lonely she got in general…this would not come easily.

Spike could throttle her if he wasn’t such a gentleman, really. Yeah she was a difficult bint and he liked her that way. Yeah she was tricky and confusing but that’s what made it all the more delicious. But seriously…after weeks of sexually frustrating encounters and then the release of a kiss like that…a kiss that clearly held the promise of something equally as fulfilling….the woman was a fucking island. And it actually pissed him off to see her in such denial. Not pissed off in the raging hard-on, adrenaline pumping way….no. Honest to goodness, genuine anger and rage.

Better yet, Spike could throttle the man that really did do a number on this chit to make her so guarded. How was a bloke ever gonna prove himself to her if she could melt under his embrace so eagerly one second and then shove him off just as quickly in the next?

Bleedin’ crime is what it was.

Buffy straightened herself up and pushed away from the door, still watching Spike pace back and forth before her.

She held out a hand to still his movements, placing it on his forearm. He stopped and looked at her hand resting on the sleeve of his duster before looking back up at her face. Unshed tears made her hazel eyes glisten and her lips were plump and still a bit swollen from their make-out session.

She looked gorgeous and vulnerable. It was the first time he’d ever seen her look so frightened….and willing? Was she accepting his request to let him in?
Maybe she wasn’t as guarded as he thought. Well, at this rate he’d have his five hundred in no time.

He cringed a bit at the reminder of the bet, but he shrugged it away when Buffy removed her hand from his coat and placed it on his cheek, gingerly tracing his cheekbone with a delicate finger.

He leaned into her touch unconsciously, giving her a small smile when she didn’t pull away.

“I don’t know what I want, Spike,” she said after what seemed like an eternity.

Her hand fell back to her side and his face dropped in mild disappointment at her statement.

“Luv, you’ve gotta learn to trust—“

She reached her hand up once again and stilled his response with a finger to his lips.
“I know I do,” she said firmly, “But it’s gonna take me a second.”

He nodded before tugging at her finger and flattening out her palm, only to kiss it softly and placing it back on his cheek.

“We have all the time in the world, luv,” he lied.

Buffy gave him a tentative smile before reaching up, her hand still holding his cheek, and placed a chaste kiss against his lips.

“Good night, Spike,” she whispered, slowly pulling away from him and heading back to her bedroom door before disappearing behind it.

He kept his face trained in a calm expression until she was out of sight. Once gone however, he silently cursed and saw himself out of the apartment.

Outside, he immediately removed a cigarette from his pack and lit it. Inhaling a deep drag, he ran a tired hand down his face.

He hated himself for lying to her. And why was that, he wondered? Yeah he wanted her, no question. But why did it feel so natural telling her that he liked her? Why did he suddenly feel compelled to make sure she actually could trust him? Why the bloody hell did he care?

Oh God no, he thought. Oh God, please no….

“Bollocks,” he muttered, tossing the cigarette out and headed back home.
End Notes:
Dear me, these crazy kids just can't ever be cut and dry can they? Some lines are taken from the series, just gave them a different context. They were such wonderful words and I felt like they expressed the right sentiment.
Please Review!
A Spirit to Resist by rollastar
Author's Notes:
And another long chapter for you all. Thank you to those who have reviewed! Sorry if I haven't responded! Please
Enjoy!

Disclaimer: I own nothing.
Here begineth the problem. Technically, Spike had already won his bet with Angel.

Get Buffy to kiss him before Halloween, the big git had spoken.

But Spike knew that simply telling Angel he’d done just that, would never appease the lumbering oaf. Oh no, Angel would want proof. He’d want to see it for himself, and that certainly wasn’t going to happen easily, Spike reckoned.

The other problem, and this was by far greater than providing evidence of his victory, was that he wanted out of this whole ordeal. He wasn’t ready to admit why just yet…he just knew he wanted to be as far removed from the bet as possible.

That was actually proving more difficult than he thought it would. Cordelia, who’d been adamant a few weeks prior to readily dismiss the bet and be on her marry way with Angel, was now at the forefront of the “Help Spike Woo Buffy Coalition”.

That was charming of her, in a twisted way, but now he felt the strands of this tangled web pull tighter around him. He was going to fall flat on his arse if he didn’t look out.

Not one to normally avoid confrontation, Spike had no reservations confronting Cordelia the next time he saw her. He’d been mildly impressed when she too openly admitted what her ploy had been. Help him woo Buffy. Lock them in a room together and just finally get it over with.

That last bit sounded appealing, for very different reasons. Of course, Spike needn’t fill Cordy in on that. In fact, Spike had been resolutely mum about everything that had happened that night. Which had proved difficult this past week, seeing as he now had class with both Cordelia and Buffy…and Angel….

It was a soddin’ melodrama and Spike was growing antsy. He had walked into class on Wednesday, two days after “the kiss” had taken place, and waited for Buffy to react first. Give him a sign that she either wanted him openly or had reverted back to hating him…anything. A crumb.

But she’d remained impassive….or well, she’d avoided him. It took all his resolve to not say or do something in response to her avoidance. He wanted her to trust him, and spouting off about their brief but wild snog in her kitchen certainly wasn’t going to help his cause.

Cordelia, still unaware of what exactly had transpired when she’d played Cupid and ran off, noticed the lack of witty banter between Spike and her stepsister. She couldn’t tell you why they weren’t yelling in each other’s face…she considered maybe it was an off day…or maybe it was working and they were just playing it cool…

Whatever, Cordelia had her own problems brewing. She was spending less time with Angel and increasingly more and more with Xander. Angel hadn’t noticed, or if he had, he hadn’t said anything. Cordy couldn’t decide if this was good or bad.

Either way, Angel continued to mindlessly wrap his arms around her when he greeted her, absently hold her hand when they’d walk down the concrete paths on campus, attempt to kiss her hello and good bye….yet never complaining when she’d not so subtly turn her head to give him her cheek instead of her lips…

Spike had certainly noticed the chasm beginning between Angel and Cordelia. Not that he cared, really…but he wondered who was doing the lying in that relationship…cause somebody was clearly spending their time elsewhere…he couldn’t tell…

Willow and Buffy saw the distance spreading between the brunette couple also. Of course, they both knew of Cordelia’s increasing involvement with Xander. Willow was happy to catch up with her friend on occasion and listen to him spill about all the time he’d been spending getting to know Cordelia, or making her laugh…they’d not shared anything particularly romantic with each other, but Xander was far too elated that Cordy was continually wanting his attention to care at the moment. Eventually, it’d become an issue…but not right now.

Buffy still wasn’t convinced about Xander…but he seemed harmless enough…and anybody was better than Angel…and she really had no place to talk right now….not with what was happening in her own life….

Buffy had been avoiding Spike all week. The old fashioned way. The Silent Treatment. It was almost impossible to avoid him completely anymore. He had class with her, he was Cordelia’s new scene partner, he took some of the same paths across campus as she did…

But she couldn’t talk to him. She didn’t know what to say…and even if she did, how would that go over? The Ice Queen just suddenly starts walking hand in hand with some guy that she notoriously fought with for two months? Yeah, that’d go over real well.

She was grateful that Spike seemed to be honoring her need for avoidance. Oh sure, she caught him staring at her plenty of times, but his face gave nothing away. Gone were his smirks or his suggestive leers. She would catch him simply watching her, studying her as if she was a really difficult puzzle and he couldn’t find the piece he needed.

Which, she supposed, was kind of true.
She knew Cordelia was itching to talk to her, if not to apologize for the monstrosity that was last Monday’s matchmaking scheme, then at least to find out what had transpired.

Buffy had presented Cordelia with a normal amount of annoyance, just to keep her nosy stepsister appeased and off her trail. It had seemed to work for a day. But when Buffy had come home a few nights ago and Spike had been there once again (this time to actually study with Cordelia), the tall brunette had immediately sensed the tension and went to interrogate Buffy.

Buffy could only sigh and brush off Cordelia’s intrusion, feigning fatigue and saying she’d be at the library or at Willow’s to study instead.

Buffy wasn’t sure why Cordelia had taken a sudden interest in seeing her get together with Spike, other than some feeble attempt to prove Buffy wrong about men…

Which, in the case of Spike, Buffy could easily find herself changing her tune…and that’s exactly what made it not-so-easy…she hadn’t actually wanted a guy in her life in a long time…like, repeatedly wanted him in her presence, around her, to talk to, to kiss, to hold, to….she needed to stop thinking about it. It was overwhelming. And she still felt confused and afraid.

“Bandy means to bounce back and forth, right?” Buffy suddenly asked, looking up from her script.

Willow raised her head, her own script before her and nodded, “Yep.”

Buffy nodded, writing a small annotation beside the word in the margin of her script. She and Willow had been analyzing their lines for the past hour, making sure they understood every word before they attempted to say them aloud again.

It was not the most exciting activity to do on a Friday night, but the stumble-through they’d had in class today had proved to both women that they needed to seriously crack down on their textual interpretation. Everyone in class was struggling with these second scenes. It wasn’t like no one knew the play, Romeo and Juliet was universal and most of them who’d been involved in the theatre had been exposed to it numerous times…but suddenly asked to act it out…one felt their understanding suddenly fly out the window…and Buffy felt she needed to redeem herself after the Shrew scene; despite the surprising (and embarrassing) praise she’d received.

“You want more to drink?” Buffy wondered, standing up to stretch and crossed over to the fridge to retrieve something else for herself.

“Sure. Thank you,” Willow complied. Buffy nodded and reached for a pitcher of some fruity concoction of juice that Cordelia had made.
Cordelia had gone out that night, presumably with Angel. Buffy didn’t know why her stepsister was still even bothering, the brunette clearly had grown tired of the larger man, but Buffy supposed there was still a hint of the status consciousness in Cordy after all. Angel, despite being an idiot as far as Buffy was concerned, did seem to have quite the popular reputation. And Cordelia was still new to campus, though she’d made quite the impression already.

“So,” Buffy began, returning to the table with two newly filled glasses for her and Willow, “Does Xander want to actually date Cordelia?”

Willow once again looked up from her book, smiling politely as she took the proffered beverage from Buffy. “Umm, I think he’d want to if she ever asked, yeah.”

“Hmm,” Buffy considered, taking a slow sip of her juice.

“Why?” Willow wondered.

Buffy shrugged and absently tapped the sides of her glass with the pads of her fingertips, “She doesn’t seem like Xander’s type.”

Willow chuckled, “I think it’s safe to say that Girls are Xander’s type.”

Buffy couldn’t help but laugh at that, “Is he desperate or…”

Willow continued laughing, “He dated some in high school, and he ‘hung out’ with this girl Amy for awhile…”

“Not that Cordelia is like, desperation material…cause clearly, she’s in high demand,” Buffy explained, snickering at the thought.

Willow caught a trace of bitterness in Buffy’s words and dared to pry a bit further.
“Does that bother you?”

Buffy stopped musing and gave Willow a serious look, raising her glass to take another slow sip before answering coolly, “Why would it?”

Willow shrugged, “Just that, you know…she seems to…I mean, attracting men seems to come easily to her…”

Buffy narrowed her gaze as Willow spoke. The redhead was still a bit fearful of the blonde. They’d made tremendous strides the last few weeks, and what with being paired together to do a companionable scene, it had forced the two to talk more. Buffy had never really had a problem with Willow, she being a girl first and foremost. And the lanky redhead had always been polite, to her face anyway.

But now, well, Buffy couldn’t really blame Willow’s curiosity, Buffy had opened the field to these kind of discussions, and Buffy herself had changed her opinions about people in general recently…something that Willow was clearly more perceptive about than she’d given her credit for.

“Well I’ve never really been the most approachable person,” Buffy finally answered.

Willow gave her a shy smile, “I don’t mean that guys aren’t attracted to you! I mean, I’m sure you have a whole bunch of—“

Buffy cut her off with a wave of her hand, “I’m not offended, Willow. I know what people think of me.”

Willow blushed and nodded, “Xander had a thing for you,” she chirped.

Buffy’s eyes widened as she laughed, “Really? That’s hysterical!”

“But you know, he knew you’d—“

“Probably cut his heart out and eat it before ever giving him the time of day?” Buffy guessed cheekily.

Willow paused for a moment to make sure Buffy was in on the joke before deciding it was safe to laugh.

“You know, despite the….vibe or aura or whatever you call it, I give off…guys still try to ask me out…it’s weird…in that, really pathetic kind of way…”

Willow snickered at Buffy’s comment, “Yeah, guys can be a little dense sometimes, huh?”

Buffy chuckled, “Guess you’re glad you don’t have to deal with that anymore, huh?”

Willow snorted and shrugged, “Well, girls can be just as frustrating sometimes too.”

Buffy had to nod in agreement, “Yeah…Cordelia made me understand that, finally. I’d been so hell-bent on blaming the men, ya know? My dad cheated on my mom and all I saw was how devastated she was…but then she sends me this wedding invitation a few weeks ago and I’m like, OH! This is what Cordelia meant! It takes two to tango and blah blah blah, right? Why would my mom put herself through that again?”

Willow remained silent for a few moments. She had heard bits and pieces of why Buffy was who she was…but to hear the girl say it outright, and so casually…yes, it seemed as though Buffy had softened her perspective on the wrongness of the male population, and it was good that she could branch out and realize that women too could be held responsible but…she still seemed to be a bit deluded in her reasoning.

Willow bit her lip but bravely attempted to interject, “Well, I see both sides of your argument. I could certainly see how you’re dad’s behavior left you feeling betrayed and angry…and I’m not saying you shouldn’t be protective of your mother or skeptical of her engagement…certainly if she was as devastated as you say she was by her first marriage…but…”

Willow stopped when she realized Buffy had leaned in, resting her elbows on the table across from her. The blonde seemed genuinely intrigued by what she was saying, though Willow couldn’t be certain Buffy wouldn’t slap her if she continued.

But Buffy didn’t seem angry, just curious. The small blonde worried her bottom lip and furrowed her brow, giving the redhead a small nod to keep going.

“I guess what I mean is, your mom just wants to be happy. And maybe she’s getting married again because she’s found someone she knows won’t hurt her the way your dad did…and that’s exactly what she should do…”

“But why even take that chance? Yeah, Brian might seem okay now but what if she lets him into her life and then he ends up hurting her? I mean sure, it might be lonely not letting people get close to you but in the long run its gotta be better than getting hurt and feeling like a complete idiot afterwards, right?”

Willow wasn’t convinced they were still discussing her mother anymore. She sighed and gave Buffy a small, reassuring smile.

“You can’t know what makes you happy unless you’ve been unhappy,“ Willow said calmly. She was trying to channel Tara. Tara’s soothing, honey toned voice that always spoke kindness and reason.

“But that requires making mistakes,” Willow continued, “I dated a boy for four years before I met Tara.”

Buffy’s eyes widened in surprise, “Really?”

Willow nodded, “I’d never really questioned my sexuality when I was dating him,” she further explained, “And he made me very happy until the end of my freshman year of college. He’d met this other girl and we almost broke up over it but then we worked it out and I thought everything was fine again and then he left. Transferred, apparently. But he didn’t even tell me he was leaving. Just up and left one day…”

Buffy’s eyes were brimming with tears, “Willow, I’m so sorry, I had no idea…”

Willow shrugged, “I met Tara shortly after that. We started out as friends, and I eventually opened up to her about Oz, that was his name…or well, Daniel but, I called him Oz…”
“When did you know you had feelings for Tara?” Buffy wondered quietly.

“It just kind of happened. We were spending more and more time together, we had class together, she made me smile, laugh…and I thought she was gorgeous!” Willow laughed and Buffy found herself smiling at that thought too.

“At first I thought it was just an admiration thing you know? Like, wow this girl is so sweet and pretty, I wish I was like her…but then it became more like, wow, I wish I was with her…like, WITH her with her…”

Buffy chuckled, “So you started dating her?”

“No. It took me a whole year to process what I was feeling. At first I thought it was just a reaction to having been hurt by a guy, ya know?”

Buffy nodded in complete understanding.

“But, then I realized that I wanted from Tara exactly what I’d had with Oz…didn’t matter if she was a girl or he was a guy…I wanted to be with her, and that was going to require me letting her in the way I had with him…and I was terrified. What if we broke up? What if she left me? I didn’t want to get hurt again…”

Buffy nodded once more, “So what did you do?”

“I took a chance,” Willow answered simply, “Tara’s gender was inconsequential. She happens to be a woman…and either one of us could get hurt by the other…and maybe we won’t be together forever but, right now all I know is that I love her. She challenges me, makes me think, makes me laugh, makes me want to be a better person…and if we ever do break up, at least I’ll have known what is was like to have her in my life…”

Buffy was now officially crying. Quietly, but assuredly. She understood why Willow had divulged all this information. Buffy was afraid. She wanted to be happy but without getting hurt. She realized, you couldn’t have both…or maybe you could, but Buffy would never know unless she took that chance.

The phone rang, effectively breaking Buffy out of her emotional epiphany. She cleared her throat and quickly excused herself, standing up and crossing the room to answer it.

“Hello?” She asked, sparing a glance back at Willow to see the redhead give her a small smile before returning to read her script.

“Okay so, don’t kill me,” Cordelia’s voice whined through the receiver.

Buffy’s sad haze immediately shifted to annoyance as she rolled her eyes, “Oh good God, Cordy. What?”

“Umm, I know I’m like, the last person you’d ever want to help but…”

For some reason, that comment hurt Buffy more than it usually would have, “Cordy that’s not true and you know—“

“I really need you to come pick me up,” Cordy interrupted.

Buffy’s face turned worried, “Did something happen?”

She could hear Cordelia groan, “No. Not really…Angel’s just being a complete jack ass and he had way too much to drink and there’s no way I’m letting him drive me home…”

Buffy sucked on her teeth and she nodded to her sister’s explanation, “Hence the phone call…”

“Pretty please? You know I must be desperate if I’m calling you,” Cordelia pleaded.

Buffy snickered, recalling her earlier conversation with Willow about Cordelia and desperation, “Yeah, alright…where are you?”

“The Bronze…I think, it’s some club downtown—“

“Yeah, I know the Bronze,” Buffy cut in, “Stay put, I’m on my way.”

“I totally owe you, for real,” Cordelia said and hung up.

Buffy sighed as the line went dead. She hung up the receiver and turned back around to face her study partner.

“Wanna take a quick study break?”

* * * * * * * * * * * *

If someone had told Buffy a month ago she’d be driving to the Bronze at eleven o’clock on a Friday evening with Willow Rosenberg to save her stepsister Cordelia from her boyfriend Angel, she’d have probably punched that person in the face…for a bunch of different reasons.

The girls approached the front of the line cautiously, readying themselves to explain to the bouncer that they were just looking for a friend when Buffy stopped dead in her tracks.

Willow bumped into the blonde, not realizing she’d stopped and was about to ask Buffy what the problem was…

The man chatting cordially with the bouncer stopped for a moment and turned around, his blue eyes meeting Buffy’s green ones.

Without explanation, Spike turned to the bouncer while motioning to the two women. The bouncer nodded and waved the girls to approach.

Willow pushed Buffy forward as the doorman gave them a smile and gestured to the bleached blonde.

“Friend here says you’re with him, “ the burly guard explained. “You can head on in, ladies.”

Buffy was still a bit shocked to see Spike in front of her, but Willow took the hint and smiled politely at the man guarding the door and stepped away from her blonde companions, turning to Buffy before heading inside, “I’ll go find Cordelia,” the redhead offered.

Spike watched Willow leave before turning back to Buffy and giving her a shy smile, “Buffy.”

Buffy snapped out of her stupor and swallowed. “Spike,” she acknowledged.

“So, you’re meeting Cordelia?” He wondered.

“Picking her up,” Buffy corrected, “Angel’s had too—“

“Much to drink,” Spike finished for her, “Yeah, the git called me a half hour ago to come pick him up too.”

Buffy laughed in spite of herself as Spike motioned for her to lead them inside. She nodded graciously and stepped through the doorway.

The two blondes moved awkwardly though the throng of sweaty bodies, doing their best to battle against the flying limbs in their path. Buffy groaned in frustration as her diminutive stature grossly impeded her from budging the packed bodies out of her way. She heard Spike chuckle in her ear and she shuddered as she realized how close he was to her body to be able to hear him over the noise in the club. She stiffened as she felt his hand fall to the small of her back and used his slightly larger size to escort them better through the crowd.

Once out of the thicket, Spike’s hand stayed at her back for a moment longer before he caught her baffled expression and removed his hand, effectively shoving it into his coat pocket.

“I didn’t nee—“ she started to say before Spike cut her off.

“Yeah, yeah, you can handle yourself, I know,” Spike brushed her off, “Sing me a new one, will ya? Just trying to be chivalrous…”

Buffy was genuinely caught off guard by his curt response. Jesus, was she really that predictably stubborn? Though, she supposed, his answer wasn’t uncalled for. She was about to explain how she could have gotten through the crowd on her own just fine…okay, so maybe she needed to heed Willow’s earlier advice.

“Thank you,” she sputtered bashfully.

Spike raised his eyebrows in surprise. Buffy gave him a sour look, did he have to look so amazed at her gratitude? It didn’t really give her the confidence to continue this “Trying To Be Nice” thing….

Spike’s awed expression softened and fell into a smirk, “Hard for you isn’t it?”

Buffy shot in a skeptical look, “What?”

“Letting someone help you,” He said simply.

Buffy rolled her eyes, “I told you I don’t know what I want, Spike. And I’m still not ready to talk about it.”

Spike laughed, “I wasn’t talking about last week.”

“Yeah, well, we both know what you’re thinking,” she said, giving him a wry smile.

He curled his tongue behind his teeth and took a step toward her, “If we both know, then I’m not the only one thinking it.”

Buffy inhaled sharply, dazed as his hands emerged from the confines of his duster pockets and came to rest on her hips.

“Spike—“

“All I want is the chance, luv,” he told her softly. Somewhere in her addled brain she wondered how she could still hear him over the din of the club, but that thought was quickly shoved aside for the tingling sensation of his thumbs rubbing idly along her hipbones and the feel of his breath so near her face.

That damn word had become the theme of the evening, hadn’t it? Chance. Take a chance, give me a chance, just a chance, chance, chance, chance…

“If you hurt me…” she started quietly, her breath hitching as his palms now fully started massaging her hips, his hands carefully grazing the hem of her shirt.

“Got news for you, Goldilocks,” he murmured, lowering his mouth to her ear, “I don’t think either one of us is gonna make it out alive,” he informed her, laughing softly against her neck.

She shuddered and found herself smiling at his answer. It was oddly comforting to know he seemed terrified of pursuing this…whatever it was between them, too.

“I need…” she struggled to speak, gasping as he nuzzled her neck, “Cordelia...”

Spike sighed into her hair, remembering why they were both brought here in the first place. If Angel was indeed drunk, he really should take care of him and get him home. It did nobody any good if something stupid were to occur because Spike had gotten distracted.

“You’re right, pet,” he whispered, his mouth still at her ear. He braved a light kiss to her temple and pulled back to survey her face, his hands now more innocently stayed at her waist.

Buffy gave him a small smile before reluctantly pulling away. His hands dropped from her waist and she turned to leave in search of Cordelia before he caught her wrist once more and spun her back to face him again.

She gasped as he pulled her to him, “Go out with me tomorrow night,” he said.

Her brows rose in surprise and he couldn’t help but find her even more adorable when she was genuinely shocked. She rarely showed herself caught off guard, and he liked how impish and innocent she looked.

“Umm…” she gulped, hating how utterly weak Spike could make her, “like a date? In public?”

Spike laughed and jostled her gently under his grasp, “Yeah, like a date. In public,” he mocked her playfully.

She furrowed her brow in concern. She was starting to admit she could like Spike, and clandestine nuzzling and maybe even secret smoochies had their definite appeal…but this was a huge step…a very large chance to take…the world possibly privy to a whole new side of Buffy Summers…

“I’m not sure about—“

“We’ll keep it all very hush hush-like, yeah?” Spike assured her. He understood her need for secrecy at this moment. He kind of enjoyed the thought of keeping this under the radar for now…gave him time to gain her trust before he came clean about the bet…

Buffy nodded, “Fine then. A date. With you. Tomorrow. Deal.”

Spike laughed, “Right. Tomorrow. 8 o’clock. I’ll pick you up. Done,” he said, imitating her matter-of-fact tone.

“Buffy!” Cordelia’s voice suddenly rang out as the petite blonde released herself from Spike’s hold and spun around to find her stepsister approaching her.

Cordy groaned in disgust as she ungracefully elbowed people out of her way, “Where the hell have you been?” Cordy balked.

Buffy gave her sister an eye roll as Cordy chuckled nervously, “I mean, thank you for picking me up?” Cordy rectified nervously.

Buffy sighed as Cordelia turned to finally notice Spike standing there.

“Oh, Spike!” Cordelia said, before realizing that maybe she’d interrupted something between the two blondes, “Ohhhhhhhhhhh, “she repeated slowly, “Should I come back?”

Spike stifled a laugh as Buffy glared at her stepsister, “Okay Miss Subtle, let’s find Willow and get the hell out of here.”

“Willow’s with you?” Cordelia asked in genuine surprise.

“We were studying when you called, now come on,” Buffy urged again, desperate to leave before too much information was revealed.

“Queenie, where’s the poofter?” Spike called out before the girls got too far.

Both Buffy and Cordy turned to the blonde man as Spike gestured with a shrug. The girls both quickly decoded his question as directed to Cordelia about Angel’s whereabouts.

Buffy snickered at Spike’s colorful choice in various nicknames as Cordelia pointed toward the bar. Spike nodded his thanks but not before sending Buffy a wink and heading off to retrieve his friend.

“Did he just wink at me?” Cordelia asked as Buffy pushed them through the crowd in search of Willow, “And what’s a poofter?” the tall brunette continued to ask as Buffy just shook her head in silent amusement.

The sisters found the redhead by the exit, sipping a water before heading back out into the balmy evening air.

“I totally do owe you one Buffy,” Cordelia repeated as the girls made their way to Buffy’s jeep. “As much as I hate to admit it,” the brunette added.

“Oh, I know you do,” Buffy told her as they climbed into the car and headed back home.
End Notes:
What do you think? Please Review!
This story archived at http://https://spikeluver.com/SpuffyRealm/viewstory.php?sid=36889