Author's Chapter Notes:
This is the first story I've posted here, so please be gentle! Even if you are familiar with Taming of the Shrew, I can promise lots of Spuffy goodness and UST.
Buffy Summers was just about as cruel as she was beautiful. No one particularly knew why she was indeed “such a bitch” though everyone who had encountered her ventured a guess.

One theory, was that she came from a broken home; the kind that Lifetime movies are made of. Complete with neglectful fathers and complacent mothers, displaced sexual deviance and trouble with authority.

Another theory, spun off from the idea of questionable sexual acts and authority issues; was that she’d spent time in jail after high school. Though how she was now in college seemed to escape certain theorists.

Finally, there was the theory that Buffy was merely a spoiled, little rich girl; who particularly enjoyed just being mean. As if she thought the whole world was beneath her and therefore prime for her wrath.

The truth most closely resembled the first theory, though a little less with the melodrama and more with the regular drama. Her parents got divorced when she was fifteen and her father had promptly gotten remarried to the woman he was having an affair with. Her mother, Joyce, had immersed herself in work full-time after that, rarely seeing her daughter and yet somehow increasing demands over Buffy’s life. Joyce had forbid Buffy from dating after the divorce. Apparently, dating only leads to marriage, which only leads to heartache and divorce, therefore…

At first, Buffy’s fifteen year-old self was devastated, lashing out at her mother. Over time however, Buffy turned her fury onto her father, blaming him for Joyce’s distrust in men. Eventually, her anger morphed into a brand of righteousness. Buffy became untouchable, and the more she was pursued, the more she began to enjoy rebuking the offers. Naturally, potential suitors became fewer and far between as Buffy’s wretched reputation grew and accordingly, the avoider became the avoidee.

Buffy had settled well into her status as ice queen, And as Buffy now began her senior year of college, she was more determined than ever to never become a victim like her mother had.

That was the plan…unfortunately for Buffy…other things would get in the way…

“Holy Cheese Whiz!” the brown haired boy exclaimed, slamming his body into the metal railing as a green jeep went sailing past him. Xander Harris watched with equal parts annoyance and fear as his would-be assailant’s vehicle came to a screeching halt.

“Precious cargo here!” Xander bravely squawked.

Having parked the jeep haphazardly within the provided parking space, the driver finally emerged.

Xander’s eyes widened in panic when he saw her. Furiously, he untangled himself from the railing he’d been previously clinging to and started for the steps when he heard her footsteps behind him.

He spun back around to face the approaching girl; schooling his face into the most contrite expression he could muster. He opened his mouth to speak but the girl just breezed past him without so much as a glance.

He snapped his jaw shut once more and snickered; shaking his head at his ridiculous behavior before the tiny blonde’s voice suddenly caught his attention.

“Gawk at me again, Harris,” the girl threatened, “And next time I’ll actually run you over.”

And with that, she was off again, heading into the throng of students. Xander meanwhile, was left ironically gawking at the sheer frost of interaction he’d just experienced.

“She’s such a bitch,” came the sudden reply. Xander turned to see Willow Rosenburg standing behind him, shaking her head in disapproval.

Xander whistled at his best friend’s language before wrapping a lazy arm around her shoulders. Willow took his gesture as motivation to begin climbing the steps toward campus. As they continued further down the sidewalk, Xander shook his head once more and sighed, “What did I ever do to her?”

“She’s just acting out. Professor Walsh says women like Buffy have entitlement issues due to absent parental figures, particular of the paternal persuasion,” Willow spewed carelessly.

And not for the first time that day, Xander gawked. “Geez, Wills, ya think you’ve taken Psych 101 enough times?”

Willow blushed, suddenly embarrassed by her automated regurgitation.

“Sorry? “ she offered with a shrug. “But it’s true…” she added under her breath.

“Do you think Buffy really spent time in prison?” Xander wondered absently, “Ya think she’s got any tattoos?”

“I think we’ve just put our finger on why she doesn’t like you…” Willow sighed as Xander continued on without regard to Willow’s comment.

“…like barbed wire around her bicep…or like, “Bertha’s boy toy” on the small of her back…”

“You spend an awful lot of time thinking about someone you supposedly hate…” Willow sang.

Xander finally snapped out of his daydream monologue and halted his steps to scowl at his friend.

“She scares me, but I’m not blind, Willow. She’s a hottie. A scary hottie...and I find it strangely arousing. Terrifying, but arousing…”

Willow sighed and patted Xander on the head, “You’re such a boy,” she teased.

Xander returned her gesture with a goofy grin before his eyes widened comically.

Willow removed her hand from his head with concern, “Xander? What is it?”

“Merciful Zeus…” he barely squeaked as Willow turned around to see what had caught Xander’s attention.

“Oh…” Willow mumbled, now with full comprehension. Walking toward them was certainly quite the specimen. Long, brown hair fell on tan shoulders while a mouthful of dazzling white teeth were flashed as the girl passed by a few other students en route to class. Toned and long, bronzed legs carried the girl along the sidewalk with each step as she got closer and closer.

Even Willow had to admit the girl was certainly a looker. Not even remotely her type, but even her normally passive girlfriend Tara would be visibly ruffled by Willow’s appreciation of this gorgeous newcomer.

For his part, Xander was typically in swoon-mode and was once more catching flies with his jaw hung low as the girl in question finally approached him and his red-haired friend.

“You two look like you know where you’re going,” the girl announced, granting them her mega-watt smile.

“It’s to pleasure your meat,” Xander blurted out, supplying the girl with an extended hand and his own toothy grin.

Willow snickered and extended her own hand to the girl, “Hi, I’m Willow Rosenburg.”

The girl, still staring at the brunette boy’s strange greeting, rolled her eyes before accepting Willow’s hand and introducing herself, “Cordelia Chase.”

“This is Xander…Harris,” Willow supplied apologetically.

“Meet your pleasure,” Xander dumbly attempted again.

“Okay…” Cordelia said hesitantly.

Willow cleared her throat and not-so-subtly jabbed Xander in the ribs before addressing the pretty brunette once more, “You said we looked like we knew where—“

“Oh, right! Yes, I’m new. Just transferred…I have no idea where my next class is…”

Cordelia perused her printed schedule as Willow spared a glance to Xander who had thankfully stopped trying to talk but was now eyeing the new girl up and down.

“They said head to the center of the quad and look for the square building…” Cordelia continued, still checking the paper and oblivious to Xander’s ogling.

Willow however was not so oblivious and once more elbowed the boy’s side.

“Ow!” Xander cried, startled. Willow shot him her resolve face and shook her head in disapproval.

“Where’d you transfer from?” Willow attempted.

“Los Angeles, “Cordelia muttered, still in search of her next class. Willow nodded and smiled politely as Xander remained mute, still stupidly transfixed.

“Oh, here we go…Fischer Hall 108! “ she added triumphantly.

Willow’s eyes widened in geekish excitement, “Oh, that’s Advanced Acting! I’m headed there too!”

“Fantastic,” Cordelia sighed in relief before clearing her throat and giving a little shrug, “So…”

“Yep, let’s be on our way, shall we?” Willow agreed with a nod, squeezing Xander’s arm as she and Cordelia headed off.

“Nice to meet you, Xander,” Cordelia said tentatively as Willow threw him one final glare of disapproval.

Xander watched the two girls walk away before he realized he was alone and called out after them, “It’s a pleasure to meet you!”


Chapter End Notes:
Be Kind, Review!