“I can’t believe Cordelia invited all of us over,” Buffy said as she looked at Spike. “Your group and mine don’t typically mix.”

“She’s being nice,” Spike replied as they walked to Cordy’s front door. Buffy watched as Willow, Wesley, Gunn, Gwen, Lindsey, and Lilah got out of their cars and headed towards them. “It’s just a lot of bloody people to fit in a house, even if it is a mansion.”

“Hey, did you guys see Harmony slap Jonathon after the dance?” Willow asked as she got closer to them. “Apparently he got a little feely while they were dancing.” Everyone laughed.

“Poor sod,” Spike said, ringing the doorbell. “At least the tiny bastard got to cop a feel. It’s probably the most he’ll ever get.” Buffy looked at him, outraged. “What?”

“That was really mean, Spike,” she replied sternly. “Jonathon’s a very nice guy and deserves a girl in his life. More than you, even.” He raised an eyebrow, amused.

“Is that right?” he asked, and just as she was about to speak, Cordelia opened the door, stopping her from commenting.

“Ah yes, the badass crew has shown up,” she said, smiling. “Please come in.” Everyone walked in, but she stopped the guys from walking further into the house. “If anything is destroyed or stolen, I’m coming after every single one of you, got me?”

“Loud and clear, Queen C,” Gunn said, mock-saluting her before walking past her. She narrowed her eyes at his retreating form, and Buffy laughed as she pulled Spike along into the house.

“Tonight’s going to be a hoot, isn’t it?” Willow asked as she followed them with Wesley.

“It’s been a hell of a ride already,” Spike said, looking at Buffy. “But yeah, I think it’s just about to get interesting.”

* * *

“Want to go sit outside, luv?” Spike asked an hour later. Buffy nodded vigorously and followed him out to the back porch.

“It’s getting way too warm in there,” she said, finding the cool night air refreshing. “I think almost everyone from the senior class showed up.”

“I’m sure Cordelia is having a fit,” he replied, lighting a cigarette. “I thought this was supposed to be fairly hush-hush.”

“Yeah, but I’m sure word spread like wildfire that she was throwing an after-party,” Buffy said, sitting on a bench. He sat beside her and looked at the glowing pool.

“How about jumping in with me, princess?” he asked, smirking. “Completely starkers, perhaps?”

“You’re insane if you think I’m jumping in,” she replied, frowning. “It took a long time for me to get this pretty tonight.”

“You always look pretty,” he said, smiling. “Besides, it’s only water.”

“I think I’ll just sit by and watch you have your fun,” she said. “But you will not be ‘starkers’.”

“Come on- it’d be funny,” he said, pouting slightly. She grinned and nudged him, and he wrapped his arm around her shoulders. She sighed and rested her head on his shoulder, looking at the water.

“Do you remember the last time we swam here?” she asked quietly.

“The July 4th before freshman year,” he answered, flicking his cigarette aside. “Was a pretty fun time.”

“You held me under until I nearly passed out,” she muttered, and he chuckled. “It’s not funny, Spike.”

“No, but remembering how pissed off you were after I let you up is pretty hilarious,” he said, and she elbowed his ribs. “Hey! I’m being nostalgic.”

“Nostalgically evil,” she replied. “But it was a good night. Swimming under the fireworks…”

“Kissing under the fireworks,” he said, looking at her.

“Going to the park and messing around under the fireworks,” Buffy said, smiling softly.

“Lying to our parents about why we got home so late,” he said, chuckling.

“Things were good back then,” she said, looking down. He nodded and looked away.

“And I threw it all away over nothing,” he replied. She looked at him, tilting her head.

“Do you really regret it?” she asked, and he looked into her eyes.

“Yes,” he answered. “I’ll regret it forever.” She grazed his cheek and began to slowly lean over to him, but the sound of the back door opening stopped her. Both Spike and Buffy looked over to see Anya and Xander coming outside. She scooted away from him a bit as her friends drew nearer, a move that upset Spike.

“Were you guys getting sick of the heat, too?” Xander asked, running a hand through his hair.

“It’s like a sauna inside,” Anya replied. “Except no one is naked.” She smiled. “Now that would be enjoyable.” Xander smiled at her. “Mind if we join you?”

“Join away,” Buffy said, motioning to a bench across from her and Spike.

“Wasn’t tonight fun?” Anya asked, sighing. “I’m going to miss these school dances after we graduate.”

“Yeah, everything was great,” Buffy agreed.

“Except for maybe the punch,” Xander said, making a face. “That was definitely gross.”

“Can’t handle a little Jack D, whelp?” Spike asked, smirking. Buffy nudged him in the ribs again, and he raised his hands in surrender. “Just a comment.”

“There was liquor in it?” Xander asked, an eyebrow raised. “Maybe that explains why I feel kind of wacky. I had about seven cups of it.”

“I don’t think there was enough alcohol in it to make you loopy,” Buffy said.

“Unless you’re that much of a lightweight,” Spike replied, and Buffy nudged him again. “Will you stop that?”

“Not until you stop being such a jerk to my friends,” she said. “You don’t see me going up to Lindsey and telling him to change his wardrobe, do you? Or telling Gunn that it’s unnatural for a guy our age to be bald? Or that Wes is…”

“Don’t even start on a member of my family,” Spike said sternly, looking at her.

“Then lay off my friends,” she replied, crossing her arms. Anya and Xander watched the two with amused expressions.

“Still bickering like an old married couple,” Anya said, looking at Xander, who nodded in agreement.

“Excuse me,” Buffy said, looking at them before getting up and walking away. Spike stood up quickly and followed her back inside the house.

“Think he still loves her?” Xander asked, looking at Anya.

“I’d bet my lucky necklace on it,” she answered, smiling.

* * *

Spike caught up to her and grabbed her shoulder, turning her around.

“What’s wrong, luv?” he asked loudly, over the music.

“I thought things were getting better, but clearly they’re not,” she replied. “I’m going home.”

“Then let me get our stuff,” he said. She shook her head and walked to the door. “Pet, wait. What’s got you so pissed?”

“Were you not outside a moment ago?” she asked sharply. “Did you not hear what we said to each other?”

“We had a little argument- not the end of the bloody world,” he replied. “We argue all of the time.”

“But I thought that was going to stop!” she said, angry. “I thought that the situation between us was improving.”

“It is,” he said, crossing his arms. “Buffy, you and I are going to fight for the rest of our lives, no matter how much better things get. We’re two very stubborn people- that’s what we do.” She looked down. “I’m sorry if I made you upset and was mean to the boy, but I’m not letting you walk away from me, from this. Once was enough for one lifetime.”

“Can we just go home?” she asked, looking at him. He took a deep breath and nodded before they both went to get their stuff. They left quietly, getting in his car and going home. After pulling up in his driveway, he walked Buffy to her back door.

“Will you forgive me for being a wanker tonight?” he asked quietly, looking at her. She smiled softly.

“Why should I?” she asked, tilting her head. He cupped her cheeks in his hands and pressed a gentle kiss to her lips.

“Because I care about you,” he said, looking into her eyes.

“I’ll have to think about it,” she replied, smirking and opening the door. He grinned and watched as she walked inside.

‘And maybe if I learn to bite my tongue and make my girl happy, all of this will work out,’ he thought as he walked to his door.