The next day, Spike walked over to Buffy’s house and knocked on her door. She opened it and raised an eyebrow.

“What’re you doing here?” she asked, surprised.

“Hello to you, too, luv,” he said, smiling. “I’ve come to collect my prize.”

“‘Prize’?” she asked. “What prize? We both lost the bet.”

“Yes, but I was hoping that maybe I could get a condolence prize or something,” he said, putting his hands in his pockets. “Because it’s obvious that people voted for Jonathon out of the goodness of their hearts.”

“Don’t say that,” she replied. “I voted for him, after all.”

“Because you didn’t want me to win,” he said, smiling. “And you didn’t think anyone would vote for him, so it was a pity vote.”

“No it wasn’t,” she said, crossing her arms. “He helped me with my campaign- it was the least I could do for him.” He raised his hands in surrender.

“Fine, I’m not arguing over this,” he replied. “I want a prize.”

“I’m not being a slave for a month,” she said sternly.

“Don’t expect you to be,” he said. “I want a date.” She smirked.

“You want a date?” she asked. “Well, I think I know some girls that might go for you. I mean, there’s that Drusilla chic, and-”

“No, I want a date with you,” he said, smiling. “What do you say, Goldilocks?”

“I say you’re delusional,” she replied. He instantly frowned. “What’s in it for me?”

“Well, if you play your cards right, maybe you’ll get shagged good and proper,” he said, and she blushed before scowling at him. “Only kidding, pet. You’ll get to enjoy the pleasure of my company.”

“And what if I don’t enjoy it?” she asked, intrigued. He smirked at her.

“You can have whatever you want from me,” he said.

“That’s quite a loaded statement,” she replied, leaning against her doorframe. “‘Anything’?”

“Yep, anything,” he said, grinning. “Whatever makes you happy.”

“Fine, I’ll go out on a date with you,” she said. “And if your presence annoys me at any time, I get reciprocation for a night wasted.”

“No matter what, the night will not be wasted,” he replied. “I can promise you that.”

“Fine,” she said. “Take me out.”

“Good, I’ll be back at seven,” he said, turning to go.

“Tonight?” she asked, practically shrieking. “I have homework.”

“Since when do you actually do your homework?” he asked, raising an eyebrow.

“Well, since… fine, seven o’clock,” she said, going back inside and closing the door.

‘Knew she’d say yes,’ he thought, humming as he walked back to his house.

* * *

“So, where are we going?” Buffy asked as she got in his car later that day.

“Dinner and a movie,” he answered, starting the car. “Sound okay?”

“A classic plan for a date,” she said. “There’s definitely nothing wrong with that.”

“Good,” he replied, heading towards town. “So, how’s your mum?”

“She’s doing well,” Buffy answered. “I think she’s still kind of surprised that we went to Homecoming together.”

“Did you tell her we were going out tonight together, too?” he asked, looking at her.

“Yeah,” she said, shrugging. “No point in lying about it.” He smiled softly. “And how’s Rupert?”

“In the same boat as your mum,” he answered. “But he’s happy I’m trying to patch up things with you.”

“I always liked your dad,” she said. “Very insightful man.”

“You’d be amazed how bloody wise he is,” he replied, smiling. “And Joyce is a hell of a lady- she makes the best hot chocolate in the world.”

“That’s just because she adds those stupid mini-marshmallows you like so much,” Buffy said, smiling.

“Dad won’t buy them for me!” he said defensively. “Your mum is the only one who’ll give me them.” Buffy laughed quietly. “It’s not funny.”

“It’s cute how simple things make you so happy,” she replied, looking outside.

“It’s better that way, isn’t it?” he asked, and she looked at him, confused. “There are a lot more little things in life to make you happy than complex things.”

“Get that from a fortune cookie or something?” she joked, looking outside once again.

“Hey!” he said loudly, chuckling. “I’ll have you know that I got that from Wesley, thank you very much.”

“So more of a fortune tart?” she asked, laughing. “Or a fortune crumpet?”

“Want me to have myself a good time redesigning your car, pet?” he asked, shooting her a look.

“Idle threat,” she said. “I think I proved that I can do more damage than you.”

“How’d you do it, by the way?” he asked curiously. “Disconnect the battery, and all. I didn’t think you knew a thing about cars.”

“I don’t,” she answered, grinning. “But my brain of a best friend does.” He frowned.

“Red did it?” he asked, shaking his head. “And she was the one I thought I could trust the most from your friends.”

“Well, best friends stick together,” Buffy said. “That’s usually the way friendships work.”

‘But not ours,’ he thought sadly.

“Well, at least she didn’t do anything worse to my car,” he said. “I suppose a disconnected battery is pretty trivial.”

“The fact you got your car towed was priceless, though,” Buffy replied. “I knew you’d have no idea how to fix it on your own.”

“I had to pay for it to get towed,” he said, somewhat angry. “I figure you owe me for that.”

“Don’t even lie- your dad paid for it, not you,” she replied. “I don’t owe you a cent.”

“No, but I’d settle for a kiss,” he said, smiling at her.

“Uh uh,” she said, wagging a finger at him with a faux stern look on her face. “I don’t kiss on the first date.”

“Bull,” he said, smirking. “You kissed me after our first date.”

“I was young and dumb,” she lied, looking down, hoping he didn’t see the smile forming on her lips.

“You thought I was the most gorgeous guy you’d ever seen before,” he said. “You couldn’t keep your hands off of me, if I remember correctly.”

“Liar!” she said indignantly. “You’re the one who touched me first.”

“I held your hand,” he replied, annoyed. “You’re the one who sat on my lap and drew random patterns on my abs.” She blushed and giggled as she looked outside. He smiled softly and looked at her. “That was one of the best nights of my life.”

“Mine, too,” she admitted, looking at him.

“Do you think it’ll ever be like that again?” he asked, tilting his head as he studied her.

“Maybe,” she answered. “Tonight’s a good stepping stone, if anything.” He smiled. “Can we eat now? My stomach’s growling.”

“Yeah, yeah,” he replied, waving it off. “How could I forget that you eat all of the bloody time?”

“Do not!” she said, frowning. “I have a high metabolism and can eat as much as I want, whenever I want. There’s nothing wrong with that.”

“No, but those of us who pay for your food don’t find it amusing,” he said, smiling. She giggled and looked at him.

“So you’re paying tonight?” she asked.

“Yep,” he answered. “It is a date, after all.”