After leaving the restaurant, they began to walk around the downtown area.

“Do you remember when we used to ride our bikes to the movie theater and sneak in through the back door?” Buffy asked, looking at Spike with a smile on her face.

“That’s because we didn’t have any money most of the time,” Spike replied. “Joyce withheld your allowance whenever we got home after our curfew.” She laughed quietly.

“And Rupert didn’t support us seeing the movies they used to play here,” she added. “If it was PG-13, we weren’t supposed to see it.”

“Even after we were thirteen,” he replied, chuckling. “Been a long time, luv.”

“Yeah, it really has been,” she agreed, linking her arm with his. He smiled at her, surprised. “What?”

“It’s just funny to think that only a month ago, we were fighting like it was our last day on earth,” he said. “So much has changed.”

“Not really,” she replied, shrugging. “We still fight, but not as much as before.”

“That’s probably never going to change,” he said, smirking, and she nodded.

“We’re a lot alike,” she pointed out. “That has to be a major catalyst for it.”

“I think you’re right, pet,” he said, kissing the top of her head. “So, did you have fun tonight?”

“Yeah, it was nice,” she answered. “A lot better than slinging barbs around for hours on end.” He laughed as she smiled at him. “Thank you for this.”

“You’re welcome,” he said, sighing. “It’s the least I can do after everything we’ve been through.” She looked down. “And I know going out to dinner isn’t enough of a reimbursement for you, but I’m really going to try and make things better, Buffy.” She stopped walking and took a deep breath before turning to face him.

“Do you ever think it’ll be like it used to?” she asked. “Or do you think our time apart changed us too much?”

“I know it did,” he said, shrugging. “But I’m not going to let it keep us away from one another anymore.” She nodded and continued walking. “So, we’re friends again?”

“For now,” she answered, winking at him, causing him to grin.

“I can live with that.”

* * *

The next day at school, Spike was surprised to see Gunn and Lindsey waiting for him by his locker.

“What’s up, mates? Do we have a mission this morning?” he asked, opening his locker.

“No,” Gunn replied, smirking. “We just wanted to hear how it’s going with Little Miss Buffy.”

“What’re you talking about?” Spike asked, trying his hardest not to grin.

“We saw you out with her last night,” Lindsey answered, crossing his arms and leaning against a locker. “Are you two dating again?”

“What’s it to you?” Spike asked, looking at him.

“Well, if you’re dating her, I shouldn’t keep calling her a bitch,” Lindsey said, smiling. Spike chuckled and nodded.

“No, we’re not dating,” he answered. “Well, not officially. We’re trying the friends thing again.”

“And is that okay with you?” Gunn asked curiously. “Just being friends?”

“For now, yeah,” Spike said, shrugging. “But I have a feeling it’s going to improve.”

“And you won’t stop until she loves you again, right?” Wes asked, appearing beside him. Spike smiled.

“You know me too well, Wes,” he said, closing his locker. “Come on, let’s go to class.”

“Are you being serious?” Gunn asked, surprised, and Spike chuckled.

“Of course not,” he answered. “Since when do I go to first hour on time?”

* * *

“So, what happened after you left the party?” Willow asked as she walked inside the high school with her friend.

“Came home and slept,” Buffy answered, sighing.

“And you went out with Spike last night,” Cordelia said, suddenly beside them. Willow raised an eyebrow. “I saw you after I left April Fools.”

“You went out with Spike last night?” Willow asked, surprised. Buffy looked down, smiling. “Why didn’t you tell me?”

“It wasn’t a big deal,” Buffy answered.

“I’d say you hooking up with Spike again really is a big deal,” Cordy said, crossing her arms.

“Were there smooches?” Willow asked excitedly, grinning. “Come on, spill already!”

“No, there weren’t any ‘smooches’,” Buffy answered before giggling. “Well, he did kiss my cheek before I went inside my house, but that doesn’t count.” She paused. “Does it?”

“Were you going to tell us?” Cordy asked, frowning. “Or was it going to be a secret?”

“I was going to tell you,” Buffy said quietly. “Probably.”

“How was it?” Willow asked, tilting her head as she studied her friend. “You two alone again, going out?”

“It was nice,” Buffy replied, smiling as she opened her locker up. “It was like old times.”

“So are you dating then?” Cordelia asked, confused, and Buffy shrugged.

“We’re just friends,” she answered. “For now, at least.”

“So we should expect you two to be all over each other again soon?” Cordelia asked, managing a small smile.

“No,” Buffy said defensively, frowning. “Were we really that bad before?” Cordelia nodded vigorously.

“Yeah, but it was cute,” Willow said, smirking. “And it was nice to see you be happy.” Buffy sighed. “I hope it works out for you two, I really do.”

“Thanks,” Buffy said, grabbing her books. “Me, too.” She took a deep breath. “Come on, I don’t want to be late for first hour.”

* * *

When Buffy pulled up in her driveway after school, she smirked when she saw Spike sitting on her back porch. She got out of her car and slowly approached him.

“Something wrong?” she asked, studying him. He sighed and stood up, putting his hands in his pockets.

“No,” he answered. “Just wanted to see you.” She smiled softly, hoping he couldn’t tell that she was blushing slightly. “And to ask if you maybe want to go out this weekend sometime.”

“Is this going to be a habit?” she asked. “Us going out together to places on the weekends? Like a couple?”

“Do you want it to be?” he asked, a hint of hopefulness in his tone. She went to her door. “A habit?”

“What’s saying you won’t break my heart again?” she asked, taking a deep breath.

“I’m not stupid enough to let you go again, Buffy,” he said sincerely. “I really messed up before, and I’ve learned my lesson. In fact, if I ever hurt you again, I give you permission to do whatever you’d like to me.” She giggled quietly. “I’ll even leave castration open as an option.” She looked at him, smirking. “If anything, it’ll be you who breaks my heart next time.”

“So you think there will be a next time?” she asked, looking down.

“I kind of hope so,” he answered. “But I’m leaving the ball in your court, luv.” She nodded and looked at him after a moment. “Will you give me a second chance?”

“Well, as long as I have the option of castrating you if you hurt me,” she began, giggling. “Yes, I’ll give you a second chance.” He smiled and hugged her close to him. “You promise I can castrate you?” He chuckled and kissed her temple.

“I promise,” he said quietly.








A/N There is Spuffyness in the next chapter, I swear. The story is coming to a close with only 2 chapters left to go, but Ashlee and I are posting our newest fic under Goldilocks soon, so be on the lookout for that:)