Buffy and Spike went to Cordelia’s house for her annual New Year’s Eve party and met up with all of their friends there. After mingling for a while and sitting around, waiting for midnight to approach, they decided to go outside to be alone and to talk. Spike held Buffy’s hand in his as they walked through the garden in Cordy’s backyard.

“Seems like we were just her last week, bickering over nothing,” Buffy said, smiling at her boyfriend.

“That’s because we were here last week, ‘bickering over nothing’,” he replied, chuckling.

“I was talking about Homecoming night,” she said, leaning into his side as he wrapped his arm around her waist.

“Seems like so long ago,” he said, sighing. She nodded. “I’m happy it worked out the way it did.”

“Both of us losing our pointless bet?” she asked, smirking.

“I still think I’m the more popular one,” he replied, and she elbowed his ribs playfully. “That bet brought us back together, didn’t it?” She sighed.

“Yeah, I think it did,” she agreed. “Could you imagine what would’ve happened if either of us would’ve actually won?”

“Yeah, you would’ve been my slave,” he said, grinning. “I would’ve made you dress like a French maid everyday.” She looked at him, scowling. “What? It would’ve been sexy as hell.” She giggled quietly. “What would you have made me do?”

“Tons of degrading things, I’m sure,” she answered, laughing at the hurt expression on his face. “You would’ve done the same thing to me, so don’t even look at me like that, mister.” He leaned over to kiss her temple. “I’m happy we both lost.”

“This is probably the only time we’ll both be happy that we’re the losers,” he said, chuckling.

“But we both kind of won something, didn’t we?” she asked, looking at him.

“I won the love of my life back,” he said, grazing her cheek. “I don’t think it gets much better than that.”

* * *

When they returned inside, they both were happy to see that midnight was only minutes away.

‘And then we can go back home and really kick things off right,’ Spike thought, inwardly excited.

They sat on an empty couch, watching a New Year’s special on TV and holding hands.

“Can we do this again next year?” Buffy asked, looking at him. “Be together on New Year’s?”

“Of course, princess,” he said, leaning over to kiss her softly.

“But aren’t you going to school in London?” she asked, confused.

“Even if I was, I’d still be home for the holidays,” he replied, smiling. She raised an eyebrow.

“Wait, you’re not going to move back to the mother country next year?” she asked, and he grazed her cheek.

“No,” he answered.

“Then what are you going to do instead?” she asked curiously.

“I was thinking of going to UC-Sunnydale with you,” he said, grinning as her eyes widened and her arms wrapped around his neck, kissing him intensely. When she pulled back to look at him, he chuckled at the surprised look in her eyes. “Sound okay with you, pet?”

“It sounds perfect,” she answered, still excited. “That’s the best idea I think you’ve ever had.”

“What do you think about us maybe moving in together into our own apartment?” he asked, trying not to sound anxious. She looked at him, smiling.

“You’re all about surprising me tonight, aren’t you?” she joked, kissing his cheek. “I’d love to.”

“Yeah?” he asked, smirking, and she nodded. “It sounds like we’ve got the next step of our future planned out, then, doesn’t it?” She sighed contently and rested her head on his shoulder.

“And it sounds perfect,” she replied.

They noticed that their friends began to quiet down before the one-minute countdown to midnight started. Buffy smiled softly at Spike, who returned the gesture as he took her hand in his.

“I love you, Buffy Summers,” he said sincerely.

“I love you, too, William Giles,” she said, squeezing his hand.

“Think you could love me for the rest of your life?” he asked, and she grinned.

“I know I’m going to love you for the rest of my life,” she said. “Does that work with you?”

“You have no idea,” he replied quietly before promising, “I’m going to love you for all of eternity.”

As their friends yelled “Three…two…one!”, Spike wrapped his arms around his girlfriend and kissed her, conveying how genuine his promise was through the simple gesture, and it was in that one moment when they both realized that what they had together was special- it was forever.


THE END







A/N I want to thank everyone for the incredibly sweet reviews and support over the last couple of weeks for this fic! I hope this last chapter wasn’t disappointing and that you enjoyed it:) Ashlee and I will be posting “When The Price Is Right” soon, so be ready for that! Thanks again!