Spike saw Buffy in the cafeteria with her friends that afternoon and studied her. Gunn noticed where his friend was gazing and clapped his hands in front of Spike’s face.

“Snap out of it, man,” he said, and Spike looked at him, confused. “You’re appraising the enemy.”

“I’m…trying to find her flaws,” he lied. “Something to use against her.”

“Bull,” Lindsey replied. “You’re making moon-eyes over the blonde bitch.” Spike tried to ignore the anger that began to flood him.

‘He has no right to call her that,’ he thought. ‘I don’t, either, half of the time.’

“Well, after you hear what she’s been telling people, I think you’ll pounce on the opportunity to fight back,” Wes said as he sat down. Spike looked at him, raising an eyebrow. “She told all of the cheerleaders that you’re a necrophiliac.”

“What?!” Spike asked loudly, trying not to explode. The two other guys started laughing as Wes continued to talk.

“And then she told the football team that you were the one who stole their uniforms last year,” Wes said. “So you’ve got most of them looking for you while the cheerleaders are rather sickened by the new info.” Spike instantly stood up and stormed towards Buffy’s table, grabbing her arm and wrenching her away from her friends, pulling her through the cafeteria and outside, not caring who saw them.

“What the fuck is your problem?” he yelled, looking at her and throwing his arms up. “I thought we were on better terms now- why the hell did you lie to people about me?”

“We’re still competing, aren’t we?” she asked, crossing his arms. He tilted his head, frowning.

“I thought the rose I left you was a good enough apology for the time being,” he said. “One that I hoped would’ve conveyed that I was done with this stupid bet we’ve got going.” She frowned.

“I took it as you surrendering to the challenge,” she said, confused. “So I figured I’d keep fighting to prove you wrong.” He glared at her. “But apparently that’s not what you wanted to happen.”

“Screw you,” he replied, turning on his heel. “The bet is still on.” She watched as he walked back inside before taking a deep breath.

‘Wow, you really are a bitch,’ she thought.

* * *

Buffy was bombarded after school by Cordelia, who dragged her into the girl’s bathroom, obviously upset.

“Why do people keep pulling me away from whatever I’m doing?” Buffy asked, rubbing her arm where Cordy had grabbed it.

“Do you know what Spike told the swim team?” the brunette girl asked, and Buffy shook her head. “He told them that you were born a hermaphrodite.” Buffy frowned, crossing her arms.

“And you really think they believed him?” she asked. “That’s ridiculous.”

“True, but still, this is bad publicity for you,” Cordy replied.

“‘Publicity’?” Buffy asked. “I’m not a celebrity- I’m just running for Homecoming Queen.”

“You can’t let stuff like this spread,” Cordelia said. “Any rumors, true or false, are going to screw you over.”

“Then I’ll just keep retaliating against Spike,” Buffy said. “I’ve got more ammunition than necessary.”

“Good,” Cordelia replied. “You’re going to need it.” They exited the bathroom and walked to their lockers, where Willow was waiting for them.

“Buffy, I just heard some more…gossip,” the redhead said. “Apparently, Spike’s been telling some people that you have your nipples pierced.” Buffy laughed at the absurdity of it. “And that you have a tattoo on your ass.”

“Of what?” she asked, shaking her head and giggling as she opened her locker.

“Spike’s initials,” Willow answered quietly, and Buffy raised an eyebrow as she looked at her friend.

“Yeah, because he apparently used to own your ass,” Cordelia said sarcastically, crossing her arms and leaning back against the lockers. “Buffy, you’ve got to put an end to this. Either that, or you have to start spreading lies about him like it’s going out of style.”

“I’ll get on it, chief,” Buffy said, giving Cordy a mock salute. “Don’t fret.” Buffy walked down the hallway with Willow while Cordelia watched them, frowning.

‘Oh, you can trust I will be,’ she thought.

* * *

Buffy and Spike arrived at home around the same time, both of them exiting their cars and glaring at one another.

“Your ass is grass, cowboy,” she said, leaning against her car. “I just spent the last half an hour doing damage control with a good portion of the underclassmen. Tattoos, piercings, once being a hermaphrodite? These are the lies you come up with?”

“How about my obsession with boffing the dead?” he asked sharply, crossing his arms. “That was bloody ridiculous, pet. At least the stuff about you is believable.” He chuckled. “Well, maybe not the hermaphrodite thing. That was just for my own amusement.”

“I could kill you,” she said, narrowing her eyes at him.

“Take your best shot,” he replied, shooting her a look. “I’d love to see you try.”

“You know, I think hating you is a lot better than befriending you,” she said, grabbing her tote bag.

“Hating you is better than loving you,” he replied, and she glared at him before going inside her house.

‘But either way, at least she’s talking to me, so that’s a plus,’ he thought, grabbing his backpack and going into his house.

“So, I couldn’t help but hear your conversation with Buffy,” Rupert said as his son came inside. Spike looked at him and frowned. “All of the windows are open downstairs.”

“She deserved it,” Spike muttered, getting a soda from the refrigerator.

“I didn’t raise you to act this way,” Rupert replied sternly. “I think this bet of yours between you and Buffy needs to stop.” Spike looked at his dad, surprised. “Joyce told me all about it. Buffy confided in her while they went shopping the other day.”

“I’m not stopping the bet,” Spike said. “She needs to see that she’s not the bloody queen of the world.”

“And you definitely are not a king,” Rupert said, cleaning his glasses. “I love you, William, but you’re walking a very dangerous line with her. If you still care about her, which I truly believe that you do, you’ll stop this before you hurt her even more, before she’ll never forgive you. You could lose her forever and irrevocably damage what little civility you two have left.” Spike looked at his dad and nodded, looking down.

“Sometimes you’re too bloody wise, old man,” he said before walking upstairs to his bedroom.

‘That’s why I run a bookstore,’ Rupert thought, smiling to himself.






A/N Yet again, thank you to everyone who left reviews for chapter 5. You really didn’t think the bet was over because of the rose, did you?:) There’s still more fun in store, so I hope you continue to read the story to see what happens!