“Okay, so besides the fact that everyone at the Bronze on Friday night saw you show up with Spike, have you gone completely insane?” Cordelia asked Monday morning while Buffy opened up her locker.

“Him and I talked some things out,” she said, shrugging. “We’re not getting back together, by any means, but I don’t think we actually hate each other anymore. Well, I know he doesn’t hate me, but I’m fairly sure that I don’t actually hate him anymore.”

“Do you know how negatively this could affect your chance of being voted Homecoming Queen?” Cordy asked, trying not to freak out over her friend’s decision to stop hating her enemy, the one she was technically running against.

“I don’t really care anymore,” Buffy replied. “If Spike wins, he wins. Good for him.” Cordelia gasped, outraged that Buffy would say such a thing. “And why is this bothering you so much? You’re not the one involved in the bet, and you’re not the one who could potentially be a slave for the next month.”

“Because I didn’t run this year so you could win,” Cordelia answered, crossing her arms. “And I’ve spent a lot of time perfecting your image and this campaign of yours. The least you can do for me is win this damn crown and beat Spike.” Buffy shut her locker and sighed.

“If Spike wins, he wins,” she repeated. “I’m not going to kill myself over it.” With that, she turned on her heel and walked to her first class.

‘What the hell is wrong with her?’ Cordelia asked herself as she watched Buffy disappear into a crowd of students.

* * *

“Thank god this will all be over on Saturday,” Spike said as he left the school with Wes, walking out to his car. “Maybe I can really start patching up things with her.”

“I’d say the fact she willingly got into a car with you on Friday night is a good enough sign,” Wes said, shrugging. “Besides, if you become her slave, then you’ll have a lot of time to prove yourself to her again.”

“Don’t even remind me about the terms of the bet,” Spike replied. “I can’t even fathom what she’d make me do if I lost.”

“Well, then don’t lose,” Wes said, opening his car door and noticing that Spike was focused on the front of the school. “What?” He followed his cousin’s gaze and watched as Willow and Buffy walked towards her car, which was only feet away from Spike’s. “You want to wait for her?” Spike looked at his cousin and frowned.

“Am I really that transparent?” he asked quietly, which caused Wes to laugh. “Hello, Buffy.” The two girls stopped beside Spike’s car, and Buffy smiled softly at him. “How are you?”

“I’m fine,” she answered, raising an eyebrow. “How are you?”

“I’m good,” he answered, shoving his hands in his pockets.

“Can I speak to you privately for a moment?” Wesley asked, looking at Willow, who nodded and followed him away from the blonde couple.

“I wonder what that’s about,” Buffy said, surprised.

“I think he’s asking her to Homecoming,” Spike said, looking at Buffy, who smiled.

“I don’t know if it’s a good idea for her to get mixed up with your crowd,” she said, laughing at the look on his face. “I’m just kidding. I’d rather have her with Wes than Lindsey.”

“What’s so bad about Lindsey?” Spike asked curiously, lighting a cigarette.

“The urban cowboy look he’s got going right now isn’t that appealing,” she answered, shrugging. “Besides, he’s more of a dick than you used to be.”

“‘Used to be’?” Spike asked, intrigued.

“Well, you’re starting to be nicer to me, so you obviously aren’t as bad as you were over the last couple of years,” she answered, looking down when he grinned at her. “Okay, how long does it take to ask a girl to Homecoming?”

“Will you go to Homecoming with me?” Spike asked, taking a deep breath. She looked at him with wide eyes.

“That’s not a funny joke,” she replied, crossing her arms.

“And it wasn’t a joke,” he said, slightly hurt that she wasn’t reacting as well as he had hoped.

“You really were asking me to Homecoming?” she asked, and he nodded. “Seriously?”

“If you’re going to say no, do it quick, okay?” he asked, blowing out a stream of smoke. “Because the wait just might kill me.”

“No, those will kill you,” she replied, motioning to his cigarette. “But…I suppose that I can go with you to Homecoming.” His eyes lit up. “But you’ll be on your best behavior, you won’t figure out a way to ruin the night for me, and you’ll be nice to me after I win.” He chuckled and flicked his cigarette to the ground.

“Over my dead body,” he said, looking at her. She grinned.

“I think that could be arranged,” she said, and he playfully glared at her. “We’re going as friends, right?”

“Yeah,” he answered. “That is, if you even consider me a friend.” She shrugged.

“Can’t hate you forever,” she said, and he smiled.

‘Not that I actually hate him today, but it’s probably better if he doesn’t know that,’ she thought.

“So I can be your date on Saturday night?” he asked, trying not to sound as excited as he felt.

“As long as Willow and Wesley go with us,” Buffy replied, and Spike quickly nodded.

“Definitely, the more, the merrier,” he said, grateful that she was actually agreeing to go with him.

“And hopefully it’ll be better this year than it was the last time with us,” she said, smiling when a grinning Willow and Wesley began to walk back to them.

“I promise you that it’ll be better than it was,” he replied.

‘And I’m not talking just about Homecoming,’ he thought.

“Don’t promise me anything,” she said, looking down. “It won’t hurt as much later on if things don’t go right.” He frowned, hurt that she thought that way.

“So, did you say yes?” Buffy asked, plastering on a smile as Willow returned to her side.

“Yep, I’m going to Homecoming with Wesley,” she answered, smiling at him. “Now we just need to get you a date.”

“She already has one, Red,” Spike said, looking at her. “Me.” Both Willow and Wesley looked between Spike and Buffy, shocked.

“Oh,” Willow replied, managing a weak smile. “Well, then it looks like we’ll have a double-date on Saturday.” Buffy nodded and looked down when Willow gave her a questioning glance.

“Yep, a double date,” Spike said, smiling widely at his cousin.







A/N Thanks to those who've reviewed as of late- you all continue to make me smile with your enthusiasm and cute comments:) Second, I hope that everyone will vote to either keep the weekly poll or get rid of it on the homepage of this site. If you look, you'll see how I voted, and I know several of you know why. If you don't, e-mail me and I'll give you my reasons. But this is a legitimate matter to vote on, so please take a second of your time and write 'stay' or 'go'. Thanks!:)