Quietly, the next day, Spike took Bessie’s hand and prepared himself for the worst; he took her into the office room and stood looking at her for a moment, guilt already showing in his eyes. He closed the door behind them.

Less than an hour later, Bess opened the door and walked out silently, with streams of mute tears flowing slowly down her pale cheeks. She couldn’t believe what was happening. She thought they had such a good marriage. And it was, up until he started dreaming of Buffy. Being the “understanding” person she was though, she respected her husband’s feelings and wishes. If he loved Buffy then he should be with Buffy...if Buffy even still lived.

It didn’t take long for the process to be completed. Within the next three months, Bess had gotten a small flat on the outskirts of York, their divorce was complete, and Spike could begin the search for Buffy. He started with sneaking into the coven’s meeting place at night. He came out empty handed. He concluded that either all of their information was kept top-secret underground. Or it didn’t exist at all to begin with.

He refused to stop there though. If he wanted to find Buffy, he’d have to do it himself. He tried to contact the Watcher’s Council, only to learn that it no longer existed. Which really didn’t help with his search for Giles.

It wasn’t until a few weeks later that something unexpected had happened. It was about 4 in the afternoon and Spike was continuing his search on the Internet, when the phone rang. “Ello?” He said, pressing the button for speakerphone.

“Uh... is this Spike?” Said a woman’s voice on the other end of the line. A familiar voice at that.

“Yeah, can I ask who’s speaking?” This voice was too familiar, but he couldn’t pinpoint who it was.

“I don’t know if you’ll remember me, but it’s Vi. I was one of the potentials that were lucky to survive The Fight of The First.” She explained, she was nervous, hoping that this wasn’t just some prank. She’d found out about Spike being “alive-again” through some careful eavesdropping at Wolfram & Heart between a conversation between Angel and Wes.

“Course I remember you, red head, got all excited when you killed vampires. How could I forget the infamous Vi?” He was smiling, hoping to god she had some sort of lead he could work from. “To what do I owe this phone call?”

“Well, I heard you were alive again, so I called for two reasons.” She paused to collect her thoughts a moment, and take in a deep breath. “One, I wanted to know if it was true that you were living, turns out, hey, it is.” She lightly laughed at herself. “Two, I figured you’d be looking for Buffy. Is anyone there with you?”

That was all she had to say, she had his attention. “Not a soul. Just me in my lonely big house. Now what’s this about Buffy?” He picked up the phone receiver instead of listening through the speakerphone.

“Okay, well, she’s alive. I haven’t spoken to her in quite a while, but I know she’s alive. I have connections. Remember Principal Wood? Well, he now works at Wolfram & Heart. I speak to him every once and while, he gives me jobs to do, and sometimes gives me messages from Buffy. The latest news, you might not like too much.” She explained.

“Please do go on anyway, Luv.” He listened intently.

“First just know, she has absolutely no idea that you’ve been alive it’s only natural she’d try and move on with her life. Or retrogress if you will.” She took a deep breath...or it might have been a sigh, Spike couldn’t tell. “Spike, she’s recently gotten together with Angel.”

Spike fell completely quiet, enraged with anger, jealously, and complete rage. “You’ve got to be joking.” He didn’t want to believe this for the life of him. “She would never do that... she and Angel are the past...she can’t have a relationship with him... she wouldn’t...” It was taking a lot for Spike not to put his fist through the computer screen in front of him.

“I’m sorry Spike... though, I’m sure there is still a chance. You could come here and win her back, I mean, yeah she’s with Angel, but she’s been missing you... Wood said that he heard her once, standing in Angel’s office looking out the window, talking to herself. She said ‘Never stop Spike...never stop loving me...never stop...’ I don’t think she’s given up on you, Spike.” Vi tried her best to help Spike feel better.

That was what he heard in his dream a few months ago! It was only that one time he heard her say that, because she had actually said it! “Vi, I am going to do just that. Come there and get her back, I’m not letting that ponce steal her from me, no bloody way in hell.”

Vi smiled. “There’s only one thing, Spike. We never had this conversation. Got that?” It couldn’t be known to anyone that she was the one who told Spike of Buffy’s whereabouts. Or she’d be killed by a certain member of the coven. Besselyn Roberts.

It was originally Bessie’s goal to keep Spike from locating Buffy, to keep him from learning the covens secret and plan for Spike. When Bess learned Spike still loved Buffy, she was so disappointed in herself for not only failing to keep him from Buffy, but losing her husband, that she started to practice the dark arts under the influence of depression. Of course, that wasn’t all she had hidden up her sleeve, little did Spike know. The reason for keeping them apart was bigger than it seemed and she had failed to do so. Therefore she would prepare for her final and complete demise.

“Not a word of it will be shared.” They said their goodbyes and soon hung up. Spike wasted absolutely no time getting to the nearest airport to buy his ticket to California, which he was lucky enough to get the flight for Friday which was in 2 days. It was a coach seat that become available at the last minute. Spike had no complaints.

----

Friday morning, he boarded the plane at 3PM and he was scheduled to land in L.A. at about 11PM. He had never been on a plane before, the process overwhelmed him. Baggage check wasn’t so bad, but the whole idea of taking off his shoes, completely confused him to the maximum. But before he knew it he was on the plane, it was tight quarters, completely packed with people. Screaming babies and coughing elderly with emphysema were on the verge of driving Spike crazy, so he slipped on his headphones and closed his eyes for a nap.

Before he knew it however, he was being shaken awake by the man sitting next to him. “Sonny, planes landed, might wanna get yur’self up” He had an annoying raspy voice, part of the reason Spike put headphones on and fell asleep to the Sex Pistols. It amazed him that he slept for so long, what amazed him more so was the fact that he slept so long without a dream of Buffy. Or a dream about anything for that fact.

He hurriedly stood and grabbed his carry on from the overhead compartment and ended up being the last one off of the plane. He went out to baggage claim, picked up his bag and left the terminal to catch a taxicab to Wolfram & Heart. The driver of the cab was all but friendly. Taking the longest route, backtracking, going down One-Way streets the wrong way. Costing Spike about 85 dollars when he finally reached his destination.

In front of the building, there was a newspaper box; the newspaper inside had caught Spike’s attention. It read: “First Evil, has it returned? Or never left?” Now he was confused. Hadn’t they destroyed The First with Sunnydale? He decided he’d find out eventually considering the place he was about to walk into.

Inside the lobby of Wolfram & Heart, he spotted a sign on the wall by the elevator briefly describing what could be found on each floor. Floor six read: AI Law firm. He assumed that had to be where he needed to be. He pressed the up arrow and impatiently stood awaiting the elevator. The silver doors dinged open and several ugly demons stepped out and Spike stepped in.

As he waited for it to ascend to his desired floor, he tensed. He hadn’t even given any thought to how he would approach Buffy if he saw her. What he’d say to her... he’d just have to rely on his quick wit, only minus the actual wit part of it.

The doors behind him opened. Confusing him. Those double doors confused everyone who walked into that place; he hadn’t even remembered turning around in the elevator. He stepped out and looked around. “Oh you have got to bloody be kidding the hell out of me.” He said as he saw Harmony Kendall sitting at the front desk. “This’ll be just lovely.” He reluctantly walked over to her. “Harmony, do me a favor, don’t make my presence known to everyone.” He said, whilst putting his hand over her mouth to prevent the shriek he knew was coming. Harm nodded.

“What are you doing here?” She whispered. Shocked to see him. She knew about Spike being alive. Practically everyone knew aside from Buffy. It’s a wonder she hadn’t found out already, especially with Harmony in on the little secret.

“Came to see a certain slayer. She around?” He asked. Not wanting to reveal the whole story to the dippy blonde in front of him.

“She actually just went into Angel’s office. Angel isn’t here, so you can go in. I mean you could go if he was here, I know you would either way but...” She stopped babbling when she realized he was no longer standing in front of her, but walking towards the door marked ‘Angel’

Taking a deep breath, he opened the door slowly and quietly. He saw Buffy standing across the room. Her mind must have been elsewhere, for she hadn’t noticed him enter the room. She was looking out the window, speaking to the outside world, to...him. “Spike...why can’t you be here? I wish you were here...I’m not happy with Angel...I just... need you.” No one knew, but she did this everyday.

Without any hesitation, he was behind her, putting his arms around her waist and whispering in her ear. “I’m here, Kitten. I’m here.” Sweet. Of honey and vanilla.

Her eyes grew wide. Something told her he was alive, she somehow just knew. The dreams lately have just been too real. “Spike.” Her eyes were full with unshed tears as she turned around and kissed him with all the love she had kept locked up within her.

At that moment, when they kissed, all remnants of The First evil that was left over, disintegrated into dust, including Besselyn Roberts.

----

Back at the coven, the women gathered around a giant ball of crystal, watching the two of them. The all looked up and smiled at one another. The leader spoke. “His destiny has been finally and completely fulfilled, and he shall be rewarded with her love, eternally.”

~THE END~

(My title, was taken from song lyrics "My Immortal" by Evanescence)