Chapter 5 – Locked Up


Luckily for Buffy, there had been a steady flow of customers in the store for the rest of the night, giving her the opportunity to avoid Spike for most of the shift. Now that the story was closing, she watched with trepidation as Spike locked the door after the last customer walked out.

‘Why is there so much symbolism with the simple turn of a lock?’ Buffy thought with a gulp. She quickly busied herself with counting the money in the register, fighting the shiver that raced down her spine when she felt Spike walk over to stand behind her, obviously enjoying the affect he was having on her.

“Shouldn’t you be doing something?” she asked in exasperation after a few minutes of feeling his eyes on her.

“I am,” he said with a smirk, hopping up on the counter to watch her.

“Yeah,” Buffy said, rolling her eyes. “It looks like you’re doing a wonderful job of doing nothing. I’m sure your dad couldn’t wait to let you work. You’re making one hell of an employee,” she said sarcastically.

“Thank you,” Spike replied, running his tongue along the inside of his cheek, causing Buffy to blush and look away. “We going to talk about what happened earlier or not?”

“My vote- not.”

“Come on, Buffy,” he said in a voice that was far too seductive for Buffy’s comfort level.

“Spike, it was nothing,” she replied, counting the money in her hand for the third time, hoping to be able to focus on it. “We did more than that the other night and that was…it was nothing, alright?”

“It didn’t feel like nothing,” he responded with a raised eyebrow.

Buffy sighed, abandoning the money to go turn off the lights in the front of the store.

Spike kicked his legs over the counter, following her movements before hopping down and walking after her.

“We have to talk,” he said, watching as she stopped walking with a sigh.

“About what?” she asked, turning to face him with an exasperated expression on her face.

“We kissed, Buffy.”

“So?” she replied, turning around and walking away again as she felt Spike right behind her, following her every step of the way.

“We…we kissed, you and me. All Gone With The Wind, with the rising music,
and the rising…music, and what was that, Buffy?”

“A spell?” she replied with a smirk, gesturing around the shop and reminding him that they were in a magic shop.

Spike rolled his eyes. “Oh, don't get all prim and proper with me.”

“I wasn’t, I was just…Spike, it was fun, but…”

Trailing off as she turned off the lights, Buffy felt her breathing escalate when she felt Spike’s body press against hers. Images automatically started rushing through her brain as she remembered the feel of him the other night as she moved on top of him. Briefly wondering what it would be like to have both of them naked in bed together, she let her eyes close.

“Spike, don’t,” she whispered, not sure if she would be able to turn him down if she looked into his eyes. Taking a deep breath, she summoned all of her courage and walked toward the back, hoping to get some distance between them.

“Buffy-”

“Can we go?” she asked, throwing all of the money haphazardly into the cash box and straightening it as best as she could before handing it to Spike.

He sighed but took the box into the office to put in the safe as Buffy clocked out.

“You ready?” he asked, meeting her at the back door. Seeing her nod and give him a soft smile when he held the door open for her, he let himself relax a little bit.

The car ride was made in strained silence before Spike flipped on the CD player. The Ramones quickly filled the interior, and Buffy was able to breathe a sigh of relief that he obviously wasn’t going to bring up the subject again.

Buffy liked Spike…she really liked Spike, but she couldn’t risk getting close to anyone. Shutting down was the best and only defense mechanism she had, but it didn’t make the loneliness any easier to bear.

Spike kept a close eye on Buffy as he drove. He knew there was something that she wasn’t telling him, and he didn’t expect her to open up to a virtual stranger…but he would have preferred if she did.

“You okay?” he asked after a few minutes.

Buffy’s head snapped around to face him. “Yeah,” she said a little too quickly.

Spike nodded, not believing her for a second. “You seem a little quiet.”

“That’s just me,” she said softly.

Spike chuckled. “I highly doubt that,” he said as they pulled into the driveway. “In fact- I know for a fact that you’re not quiet.”

Feeling her cheeks flame red, Buffy tried to keep the pout from forming on her bottom lip. “I’m not much for conversations,” she said, choosing to rephrase.

“I highly doubt that as well.”

Seeing the more pronounced pout as she turned toward him, Spike swallowed, fighting the urge to kiss her when it didn’t disappear.

“Why’s that?” she asked.

“You just don’t seem like the shy type.”

“You’ve known me for a little more than a day and you think you know what ‘type’ I am?”

“First of all- I think I’m more intimately aware of who you are than most people,” he said, trying to smother the chuckle as her eyes narrowed on him. “And it’s not like it’s too hard to figure you out,” he responded with a shrug.

“You’d be surprised,” Buffy muttered, getting out of the car and leaving Spike to wonder what she meant.

He caught her as she walked into the house, lowering his voice so they didn’t wake his father. “Look, I know we’re not the best of friends or anything, but I want you to know that if you need to talk…”

“You’re volunteering?” she asked with a raised eyebrow, her cynical nature shining through. “Or are you just hoping for a ‘repeat performance’?”

“I’m volunteering,” Spike said, taking a deep breath. He was about to say more when it all became too much for him. The soft eyes teamed with the skeptical expression and the kiss that was still etched in his memory. Grabbing her arms and crushing her body to his, he eagerly smashed his lips onto hers. Buffy gasped but quickly parted her lips, moaning when his tongue brushed against hers. The kiss was more passionate than the one they’d shared a few hours ago, and she soon found herself drowning in him.

They battled for dominance, Spike’s hands abandoning her arms to grasp her hips and push her against the wall. Buffy gripped his face, pulling him closer and grinding her body against his.

Spike moaned, his entire body tensing, trying to control his lust as it raged through his veins. Their lips slowly separated as their eyes opened. Gasping for breath, Spike leaned into her again, seeking out her softness, but she evaded his touch. Slipping under his arm, Buffy grasped the banister in her hand, her heart still pounding with unfulfilled desire.

“I better…”

She never finished as she turned and ran up the stairs, leaving a very confused and very sexually frustrated Spike behind her.

He ran a shaky hand through his hair, wondering how this girl could affect him so much when he had only known her for such a short time.

* * * * *

Buffy groaned when she saw Spike walk through the door of the Magic Box.

‘This was supposed to be a fresh start,’ she thought to herself. ‘How can I start fresh if everything I do, comes back to haunt me?’

Of course it wasn’t everything. Buffy knew that, since she was successfully blocking out the rest of her past.

It was Spike.

Buffy had been able to avoid him for a few days, and she thought tonight was another success. She and Giles had gotten to know each other a little more, with only a few fibs on her end, and she was enjoying the feeling of having a father figure again. A feeling that she hadn’t had in years. Now it was getting close to closing time, and Spike had seemingly appeared out of nowhere.

“Hey, Dad,” he greeted with a bright smile. “Why don’t you take the rest of the night off? I don’t have anything better to do, and you’ve been working hard lately.”

Buffy rolled her eyes at the overly helpful son that he was trying to be. Obviously Giles was buying into it as he smiled.

“Thank you, William. I think I might just take you up on that offer. But you worked this afternoon, are you sure you won’t mind?”

Spike glanced at Buffy before shaking his head. “Won’t mind at all.”

Silently pleading with Giles to stay, Buffy sighed when, apparently, he wasn’t hearing her inner monologue as he grabbed his coat. “Not much to do tonight. There are some boxes that need to be moved down to the basement, and the items on the table down there need to be displayed for tomorrow, but that can be done after everything’s closed for the night.”

“No problem,” Spike replied, smiling at Buffy. “We can handle it.”

* * * * *

Spike surprisingly left her alone for half an hour. It was to the point that Buffy was starting to worry that she was just a way to relieve the tension a few days ago and nothing more. He had agreed to not mention the night at the strip club, but the kiss- both of them, were still burned in her memory.

‘Was I just an available outlet?’ she wondered, biting her lip as she straightened a shelf. ‘Was I just convenient?’

It didn’t occur to her that Spike was using the tactic of ignoring her, for the very reason of getting Buffy to re-think the situation.

They stayed quiet as she counted the money and Spike locked the door, idly straightening a few things before wandering over to the counter, still staying quiet.

“What?” Buffy finally asked sharply after he stared at her for a few minutes.

Spike clucked his tongue and shook his head. “Quite a temper on you, isn’t there?” he asked with a smile.

“Why are you here, Spike?” she asked with a sigh, turning back to the money and attempting to recount it.

“Thought we could spend some quality time together,” he said with a smile.

“Yeah, that never really ends well, does it?” she replied, glancing up at him.

“It did the other night,” he replied in a husky voice.

“You really seem awfully fixated on a couple of kisses, Spike,” she said before grabbing a box and walking toward the basement.

“And you seem awfully quick to forget about them,” he said after a moment, quickly picking up another box and following her down the stairs.

Buffy put down the box before turning back to him and crossing her arms over her chest. “I don’t know if you wanted it to mean more, especially after the first night we…met. But it was just a mistake…every time.” Seeing the dejected look on his face turn to amusement, she continued, “Look. I'm sorry, okay? I'm…I'm sorry if you thought that it meant more.”

“But…”

“But…when I kissed you…you know we can’t do this because of Giles, right?”

A frustrated expression crossed Spike’s face. “You know, you better be more careful. I’m starting to wonder about you two.”

“What?” she asked before making a face. “Oh, gross, Spike! He’s your father. He took me in and I’m not going to do anything with his son.”

“Too late,” he replied with a smirk.

“Spike, please,” she said with pleading eyes. “I’ve just uprooted my whole life, ergo vulnerability and…and bad kissing decisions.”

Spike glowered at the terminology she was using.

“Okay, but that's all that it was. You have to let it go.”

‘Even though that’s the last thing I want,’ Buffy thought with a sigh. She just couldn’t risk getting close to him. Staying closed off would keep her safe.

“Did it work?” he asked with a smirk.

“What?” she asked in confusion.

“You convince yourself?”

Spike watched as a sad look crossed Buffy’s face. “Please, stop,” she whispered.

“I’ll stop if you’ll at least consider that there’s something going on between us.”

“There was something going on between us, but that’s done.”

“Not good enough,” he replied, crossing his arms over his chest as his eyes narrowed on her.

“Fine,” Buffy said, walking back up the stairs. “I’ll consider…uh oh.”

Spike frowned, following her. “What’s uh oh?”

Twisting the knob and throwing her shoulder against the door, she cringed when it didn’t budge. “I think we’re locked in.”

Spike moved past her, mimicking her actions and sighing when it refused to open. ‘Well, this should be an interesting night.’

* * * * *

Half an hour later, both Spike and Buffy were sitting side by side with their backs to the wall, each nursing their sore shoulders and laughing about it.

“You’d think we would have learned the first few times we ran into it,” Spike said with a chuckle, rolling his arm in a wide circle to try and ease the aching muscles.

“Especially me,” Buffy muttered, wincing as she ran her hand over her arm. “What was I thinking? If you couldn’t get it to open, what good would I do?”

Spike laughed, gently leaning over to playfully nudge against her, careful not to jar her shoulder anymore.

“How long before your dad realizes we didn’t come home?” she asked after a moment, looking over at him and seeing, for the first time, how close he was.

“Well…considering he never knew when I used to sneak in when I was a teenager, I’m guessing…tomorrow morning.”

“Wonderful,” she muttered, but her tone was counteracted with a smile.

“You seem a little happier than I would have thought,” Spike said, turning to face her and feeling short of breath when he noticed that they were separated by inches.

Briefly closing her eyes as her heart sped up, Buffy leaned forward and let her lips brush against his. It was something she needed to do. Sudden and impulsive, but something she knew she wouldn’t regret.

Slowly pulling back from the chaste kiss, Buffy gasped when Spike grabbed her and pulled her onto his lap. His fingers ran through her hair, guiding her lips back to his and holding her in place.

Buffy moaned, quickly deepening the kiss, her hands running through his hair, pulling him closer to her and grinding her hips against his. Spike broke away, gasping for air and trying to control himself, not knowing how far she wanted to take this.

“Buffy, we better stop.”

“Don’t want to stop,” she whispered, bringing their lips together again.

Spike’s last semblance of control snapped, whipping her shirt over her head and barely separating from her. Buffy felt a shred of self-consciousness make itself known when he quickly removed her bra, but it was short lived as she remembered he’d already seen her more naked than this. Feeling his hands moved to her breasts and gently caressing them, she felt short of breath as her body arched against his.

Needing more contact with him as she quickly unbuttoned his shirt, running her nails along the smooth muscles that were exposed. Spike nearly lost control when he felt her body press against his.

Breaking away from his lips, Buffy stood and pulled him up with her before shedding the rest of her clothes. Spike reached into his pocket and extracted his wallet when he felt her hand cover his.

“Are you safe?”

“Yeah,” he replied in a husky whisper.

She took the wallet and tossed it on the growing pile of clothes. “I’m on the pill,” she said, seconds before fusing her lips to his, her hands working on his belt and shoving his pants down his legs.

Spike barely had a chance to register what was happening as he lifted her in his arms and thrust inside of her in one smooth motion. Their lips separated as they looked at each other. Spike wanted to memorize everything about this moment, knowing that nothing else had ever or would ever feel this right.

Buffy obviously didn’t want to slow down as she frantically arched her body against his. “Let’s take it slow, luv,” he whispered, almost laughing at how absurd that sounded, considering they were already connected in the most intimate way possible.

“I-I don’t want to,” she whispered, urging him to move with her.

“I don’t want to hurt you,” he murmured, trying to slow her down.

“Don’t worry,” she said with a smile. “It won’t bother me.”

Spike frowned but quickly lost his train of thought when she used her legs to rise up and sink back down on him.

‘No, no, no, this is wrong…no…you’re not supposed to enjoy this…you don’t deserve to have this,’ she thought, fighting the tears in her eyes.

Pinning her against the wall, Spike frantically pumped into her, nearly falling over the edge when he heard her moans of pleasure urging him to go faster and harder.

“Buffy, I don’t-”

“Please, Spike,” she begged, meeting each of his thrusts with bruising force.

Spike took a deep breath before slamming into her with more strength, feeling her inner muscles clench around him as she climaxed, screaming his name while her entire body froze in pleasure.

“God, you’re amazing,” he rasped, thrusting into her a few more times before his body tensed as he shook with his own orgasm.

Gasping for breath, Spike rested his head on her shoulder, feeling her heartbeat reverberating to him.

Pulling back, he felt his body nearly paralyze with panic when he saw the tears shimmering in her eyes. “Buffy, what’s wrong? Did I hurt you?”

Shaking her head, Buffy tried to forget the memories that were wanting to resurface as she tried to get lost in Spike’s embrace. Burrowing closer to him and not letting him pull free, she sniffled before looking into his eyes. “Will you just kiss me?”

Spike frowned but let his lips brush against hers in a tender kiss, his hands running through her hair as he held her, trying to communicate everything that he was feeling. He knew there was something wrong, but he also had a feeling that it wasn’t his fault. Letting his tongue meet hers
in a gentle caress, he felt her relax in his arms. He decided that now wasn’t the time for a serious talk. Now it was time for comfort, and he was more than willing to give it to her.


Thanks so much to: PK, Cordykitten, Caitie, pj, willowmouse, Alicia, Rana, Franchesca, Huck, Laine, erika, Amanda, BuffyandSpikeForever & Katie for reviewing!