Chapter 7 – Father Knows Best


Rupert Giles was not a stupid man. He graduated top of his class at Oxford and went on to become a successful businessman before entering semi-retirement and buying the Magic Box. He prided himself on being able to read into situations more than people would expect. It gave him a distinct advantage that so many underestimated.

So it did not go unnoticed when his son’s happiness practically radiated off the charts.

It also didn’t go unnoticed- the secret looks and touches that were exchanged between Buffy and William.

Most of all, it didn’t go unnoticed when the two began avoiding each other completely.

“How are you, son?” Giles asked one morning at breakfast, watching the exhausted young man get a strong cup of coffee and sit down across from him.

“Alright,” Spike muttered, grimacing at the taste of the bitter liquid but taking a large swallow anyway.

“Is there anything you would like to talk about?”

Spike shot his father a glare, narrowing his eyes slightly as he wondered what was going on in the older man’s head. “Nothing I can think of,” he replied skeptically.

“Alright,” Giles replied, turning his attention back to the newspaper in front of him. “But if you ever need to talk, you know you can…”

He trailed off when he saw his son instantly sit up straighter, his shoulders becoming rigid and his eyes trained on the doorway. Giles turned around in time to see Buffy walk through and pause when her eyes met Spike’s.

“Good morning, Buffy,” Giles said with a smile, pretending to be oblivious to the obvious tension that seemed to flow through the room when she entered.

“Morning, Giles,” she said with a soft smile, avoiding Spike’s eyes while she walked over to the refrigerator.

“Are you kids hungry?” he asked, looking back and forth between the two blondes. “I can whip us up a quick breakfast.”

“I’m fine,” Buffy said, closing the refrigerator door after pulling out a small orange juice bottle. “I’m not really that hungry,” she muttered, glancing at Spike before averting her eyes.

“You need to eat, Buffy,” Giles said, putting on his best ‘father’ voice. “Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.”

“Raincheck?” she replied, trying to keep her tone lighthearted. “I’ll leave you two alone.”

Spike’s eyes seemed to follow the young woman throughout the room, his shoulders sagging when she walked away.

“You really should apologize,” Giles said with a disinterested look, sipping his tea and making sure to never let his eyes leave the newspaper.

“How did…apologize for what?” Spike asked skeptically, not wanting to let on more than he had to.

“Well, it’s obvious you’ve had an argument, and if you want to get back in her good graces, you may want to apologize.”

“And if it wasn’t my fault?”

“Doesn’t matter,” Giles replied, never looking up.

“I asked her a simple question, and she gave me the runaround.”

“Doesn’t matter.”

“She’s the one that walked away!” Spike cried indignantly.

“Doesn’t matter,” Giles said, never once looking up as he sipped his tea.

Spike slouched into his chair, rolling his eyes when his father looked up to shoot him a glare for not sitting up straight. “How much do you know?”

“That you’re together or at least…you were.”

“How do you know that?” Spike asked, his brows knit together in confusion and frustration.

“Because the two of you were happy,” Giles said with a sigh, abandoning the paper. “It didn’t take a genius to figure out what was going on. And judging by your attitude the past few days, something had to have happened for such a drastic change in both of you.”

Spike stared at his father for a long moment as he went back to the newspaper.

“The old man isn’t as blind as you thought, eh?”

Spike smirked, getting up from the table and clapping Giles on the shoulder as he passed. “That’s a matter of opinion, Da.”

* * * * *

Spike quietly walked through her bedroom door, smiling when he saw Buffy lying on her bed, her feet propped up on the headboard as she read a magazine. She couldn’t see him from the angle that she was laying, and Spike took a moment to enjoy watching her.

She was so relaxed, so at ease…so young.

Frowning at the last thought, Spike shook his head. He was only a few years older than her, and she was nineteen.

“We have to talk,” Spike said softly

Buffy practically leapt off the bed, spinning around to face him. “I really don't,” she said, assuming a defensive stance, crossing her arms over her chest.

“Well, this isn't just about you,” he replied, pushing the door closed. “As much as you'd like it to be.”

“You spoke. I listened. Now leave.”

“I'm sorry,” he said with a soft sigh. “I shouldn’t have pushed you, but…damn it, Buffy, why couldn’t you just answer the question?”

“Because it’s none of your business, Spike,” she said tearfully. “Why do you want to know so badly?”

“Because I care about you.”

“Then please don’t ask me about…my past.”

Spike became more concerned when he heard those words, but he noticed she was slowly approaching him so he wisely kept his mouth shut, not wanting to scare her away.

Taking a deep, shuddering breath, Buffy wrapped her arms around his lean waist, giving him a soft smile when he pulled her closer to him. “If…if I know everything between us will be okay…I’ll tell you.”

“You don’t know if you can trust me?” Spike asked, trying to keep the accusation out of his voice.

“I just have some…issues. I need to tell you about them on my own terms.”

“Alright, luv,” he whispered. “Whenever you’re ready, I’ll be here.”

Finally relaxing in his arms, Buffy rested her head against his chest. “Thank you,” she murmured.

“You’re welcome, luv,” Spike said softly, hooking a finger under her chin and raising her eyes to his. “I didn’t mean to push you.”

“I didn’t mean to make you mad.”

Both closed their eyes when their lips hesitantly brushed together, each giving and taking what they needed.


Thanks so much to: Reciprocity, Cordykitten, Rana, phantomwriter, Caitie, Franchesca, pj, willowmouse, BuffyandSpikeForever, Amanda & Laine for reviewing!