Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you all for the great reviews:) They are really encouraging and makes writing this story even more fun to write:) Updates should be more regular now that school is over for the summer:)
8
Angelus was waiting for Drusilla when she finally returned to him. It’s been five hours since she left, claiming that she had to retrieve something from her old chamber that she used to share with Spike. To say that he was angry was an understatement. He was more than angry…more than furious. There was no word to describe what he was feeling. He just knew that Drusilla better have a good explanation and she had better not be wearing Spike’s scent. He loved his mate, but she was an unfaithful wench. Spike might have put up with it, but he wasn’t about to.
“Where have you been!” He roared, surging to his feet, not even attempting to reign in his temper. He grabbed her roughly, not paying attention to the wince of pain or the frightened whimper. Angelus sniffed her skin suspiciously, searching for any signs that she was with her childe. He growled as he caught a slight aroma of leather and cigarettes…too slight to be of any importance. “You were with Spike weren’t you?”
Dru pouted as she pulled out of Angelus’s grasp. It had been a very disappointing day for her and Ms. Edith. They had wanted to play with the new dolly, but mean William refused to play fair. Now they must spill all secrets to daddy. William had once again been a very naughty boy and so had his baby. All naughty children shall be punished and will go to bed without any cake. Daddy will make sure of that.
“Selfish, bad William. Would not let me play with his dolly. He threw me out. Like I was bad blood, not fit for the eating. He shall not have any cake,” She turned from Angelus, feeling thoroughly depressed. William was supposed to be hers forever. Now the girl came and took him away.
“Ah, he wouldn’t would he?” Angelus crossed his arms. Seemed like the boy thought he had something that his elders couldn’t touch. He was going to have to do something about that. Everything in the lair was Angelus’s property. He didn’t care who did the siring. He was head of the line. He was the law. It was coming time to remind Spike of that.
“He’s been eating for two now,” Dru continued, not paying Angelus anymore mind as she read the visions she had received just that morning, before waking. The pixies had been busy catching her up on pretty William’s activities. What she saw, it made her blood boil and her insanity grow. It wasn’t right. Not any of it. The girl shall be punished. “He feeds himself, then opens his own veins to feed his golden princess.”
“What?” Angelus vamped, his hands balled into tight fists as he began to tremble with outrage. Was he hearing it right? Did Spike go against Vampire law and feed his disgusting fledging from his own vein? If so…why…it meant a night of beautiful torture. Of course, it would be by his own hand, as head of the line. He just didn’t know who he wanted to suffer more. Spike for turning that bothersome slayer…or the slayer herself…for making him feel like a human being. Oh, her. Most definitely. She had treated him like a man and that was unforgivable. He was going to make the girl wish that she had died her final death by whatever had tried to kill her. And Spike…he was going to watch. “She’s been feeding from Spike?”
Drusilla just nodded, rubbing her arms, that now sported black and blue marks from where Angelus had gripped her. “The princess has fed from the prince and must be punished accordingly.”
Angelus grinned with a pleasure that he had long missed. He had thought his days of torture were most likely over. This was a pleasant surprise to know that they were far from. He was going to make the slayer suffer, and Spike, the ever present pain in his ass suffer right along with her. “Oh, love. You should have stayed dead.” He laughed, grabbing his mate to twirl her around the room. “Starting tonight, we dine on slayer blood.”
Drusilla grinned with maniacal glee. William was going to regret not letting her play with the his new princess. Now she and daddy will show William that it’s not nice to be selfish with new toys. Not nice at all.
~*~
Buffy snuggled closer to Spike with a contented sigh. She had just fed and her feelings for Spike were deepening by the minute. She had to tell him. There was no way she could keep these feelings to herself any longer. She was in love with Spike. It was amazing how fast she fell and how wonderful it felt to be in love again and this time so much deeper. Sure, she still loved Angel. A part of her always would. He had made her feel like a princess, but Spike…just with one look, he made her feel like a woman…the kind of woman she wanted to be. The feelings she had for Spike…they were so much stronger than what she had with Angel. And what made it even more special…Spike loved her without a soul. Angel couldn’t. That made all the difference in the world.
“What are you thinking about, love?” Spike asked, pulling her closer to his body, wanting to her feel safe and secure in his arms. Looking in her eyes, he could swear that she felt something for him…something that had been denied him since his very existence. But he didn’t dare hope. Spike had faced facts a long time ago. Love just wasn’t meant to be for him. Never had been. Cecily couldn’t love him, and neither had Dru. Not really, or she wouldn’t have ran back to her daddy so fast. There was no reason to think that Buffy, the slayer, his former enemy turned childe, could ever feel so strongly for him. She may care for him, like him even. But love? That was something he just couldn’t bring himself to even hope for.
“Who says I’m thinking of anything?” She giggled, wanting to tease him before telling him how much she loved him, that he was the only thing she thought of anymore and that this had nothing to do with the childe/sire bond.
Spike growled playfully, before planting a light kiss on her nose. “You have that look on your face. Like you’re off somewhere floating about. Now tell me, pet. What’s running around in that beautiful head of yours?”
She looked into his eyes, searching them for any sign cruelty waiting to come out and knock her off the cloud she’s been floating on for the past few days. What if he was only playing with her? What if he didn’t feel the same way? All the things he’s done for her in the past weeks were just because he felt sorry for her? Or he just had a responsibility towards her, since he did sire her and all? What if he didn’t like her at all and regretted the siring? Her confession of love could drive him to put her out into the cold night to fend for herself…not that she couldn’t. She was a Summers girl and her mother had always taught her self reliance. But that had been when she was human. She knew what it’d take to survive in the human world then. She knew nothing about the vampire world. If Spike put her out…she didn’t think she’d survive…
Spike frowned at the spark of fear he spotted in her eyes. He didn’t like that at all. What could make her feel afraid of him? Why? If only he dared to give her his heart fully and without reservations…if only he could take the first step and forget his own fears of a shattered heart that would send him to his final death most likely.

“What?” He asked, pulling her close. Again, he was struck with the need for her to feel comfortable and secure with him.
Buffy looked down from his inquisitive stare. This was it. It was time to throw all fears to the wind and tell Spike how she really felt about him. If he left her because of it…well, she’d have no choice but to go back to her friends and beg them to take care of her. “I…Spike…ever since the first time I fed from you…my feelings have been growing and deepening. Now, they’ve grown so big…I can’t hold them anymore. I mean, I’ve never felt this strongly for anyone, not even…well…what I’m trying to tell you is that…I…” to her embarrassments, the words were stuck. They wanted to come out, they really did, but a wave of fear washed over her and it was making it difficult for the words to burst from her throat. She looked at him helplessly, knowing that he was patiently waiting.
“Buffy, what is it?” Spike asked, pushing a golden strand away from her eyes, that shone with fear and trepidation. Whatever this was about, it had the slayer scared. “You can tell me, baby. Anything at all. Promise I won’t be mad.”
Buffy couldn’t help the relieved smile that curved her lips as some of her fear faded away. His reassurance made her feel more secure in her place by his side. Maybe he did love her back…somehow she doubted that…but there was always hope. She would wait if she had to. She just wanted him to know. “I…I love you Spike…no. I’m in love with you. I’m more in love with you than I’ve ever been with anyone. You’re all I think about. You’re in my dreams and when I’m awake, all I want to do is bury myself in your arms and forget about everything else. I know this has nothing to do with the sire/childe bond. I know it for a fact. You don’t have to love me back. It’d be nice if you did, but it’s not a requirement. I…I just wanted you to know. I love you.”
Spike was struck speechless by her confession. This was something he had never seen coming. He knew that she had grown to at least respect him…maybe even like him…but love? He hadn’t dared to hope. But there she was, in his arms confessing her love for him and that he didn’t even have to love her back, which he did of course. He always had. Even when they were mortal enemies, he had loved her. She was the most magnificent slayer he had ever fought. He loved her beauty and her grace. He loved her determination and her devotion. He loved how fighting her was never easy, that she was always a challenge, and now…he loved her for doing what he had once thought was impossible. He loved her for loving him.
“You love me?” His voice was a little above a whisper as he stared into her eyes that spoke the sincerity of her words, telling him that what she had just confessed was true. She loved him.
Buffy nodded, nervous about his reaction. He seemed so…shocked. Of course, he wasn’t the only one surprised. She was surprised by her own emotions as well. She had just came out of a relationship with one vampire…to go back into a relationship with another vampire…it was totally unexpected on her part. But she somehow knew that this was meant to be. Even if she hadn’t been almost killed by that demon and turned by Spike…sooner or later they would end up together.
“I…I love you too. I have since the first day I saw you dancing with your friends. You were everything a slayer should be and more and there was nothing I wanted more than to touch you,” Spike gently touched her cheek, brushing away a tear. “It was the true reason I couldn’t let you die. I’m in love with you Buffy. I just thank the powers that you feel the same. I couldn’t bare it if you didn’t.”
Buffy just smiled and leaned in for a kiss that cemented their growing feelings for each other. As the kiss deepened, so did their feelings. Nothing existed but each other. Buffy was lost in a world made only of Spike. Kissing him was like taking the first swim during a hot summer. It was like the first bite of ice cream. A cool drink. So easy to get lost in. Something she never wanted to end. She wanted to be in his arms forever.
Spike was also lost in the kiss. Kissing Buffy took him to new heights. Heights he had never visited with Drusilla. This thing he had with Buffy…it was real and it was deep. Nothing was going to take her away from him…not without a fight. He gasped in surprise as her hands slipped from his shoulders and slid down to where his erection pressed against the denim of his jeans. He moaned in pleasure as her hands took a firm hold of his restrained length. Not giving it any further thought, he moved his hand down her arms and up her shirt, where he slid his fingers up cool flesh just to cradle her silk-clad breasts in firm, yet gentle hands. He pressed his palm against the hardened nipples of her breast as he began to move against the hold she had on him.
She moved closer, her other hand gripping the zipper, about to free his growing erection when the loud bang of the door caused them to separate and look up at a towering Angelus, his eyes simmering with barely bridled rage. Spike was immediately up and guarding his childe. By Peaches body language, this wasn’t good. His only thought was to protect Buffy.
“Bloody hell, Angelus! Don’t you know how to knock?” Spike glared at the elder vampire, grabbing Buffy’s hand, holding it tightly as the feeling of unease grew. Something was up. Something had gotten into Angelus’s knickers and there was going to be hell to pay because of it. Normally, this wouldn’t bother Spike. He was used to Angelus’s fits of temper, if it was only himself facing Angelus’s wrath, he wouldn’t be so concerned; but it wasn’t just him. He had Buffy to protect. If she had fed from a human herself, again, he wouldn’t worry. But since she had refused, since she was only getting second hand blood from him…she wasn’t at full power and was nowhere near strong enough to face off with his grandsire, who’s angry glare was directed on her.
“Did you think you could get away with it? Come here and break vampire law?” Angelus glowered, his eyes never leaving Buffy. Staring at her as if he was peering into her soul and it had only made him hate her more. Involuntarily, she moved closer to Spike as his hand tightened around hers. This was bad and both Spike and Buffy knew it. Angelus was on a warpath. It was only a matter of who survived.
“What are you blabbering on about Peaches?” Spike stood in front of Buffy, guarding her from Angelus’s wrath the best he could. In order to reach the slayer, Angelus was going to have to come through him.
Angelus roared and was upon them, grabbing Spike by his shirt, throwing him against the wall so there was nothing standing between him and the vamped slayer. Nothing was going to stand between him and a chance to deal out the punishment that both Spike and the girl deserved. “You shouldn’t have let the bitch drink from you, Spike. You should have let her die. Now, you’re going to have to watch while I do the job I should have done the night you brought her home!”
A million thoughts ran through Spike’s mind as he saw Angelus turn to Buffy, fully vamped and ready to deal out punishment. First was that he was really going to kill her. The second one was that he was going take away something that Spike loved once again. The last thing that came to him was that Angelus had taken Dru away from him, he’d be damned before he let him take Buffy as well. Vamping out and with a ferocious roar, Spike lounged himself onto Angelus’s back, just as he was reaching for Buffy, who was frozen with a fear she had never felt before.
Buffy stood in shock. The only thing she could think of was not wanting to die again and her worry for Spike. She didn’t think he’d be able to accept her death…not after they had just discovered how deep their feelings were for one another. She tried to think of a way out of this, but nothing came. She was going to die by the hands she had once loved so much. She stared up at Angelus in his fanged glory, not ready to die, but accepting it all the same, when suddenly he was pulled back by a furious, vamped out Spike. She stood and watched as the two fought. Weakened from her feedings, Spike was barely holding his own. It was clear that he was going to die, before allowing Angelus to raise a hand against her. She had to help him somehow? Looking around, there was no signs of any wooden objects. She scanned the room, hoping to find something of use, when Spike called out to her, his voice tired and strained. He was losing. If something wasn’t done soon…it’d be her turn to face Angelus and there would be no Spike to protect her…no Spike to love.
“Buffy! Get out of here!” He ordered, keeping Angelus distracted by weakening punches.
Leave? Buffy couldn’t believe that she heard right. He wanted her to leave? She couldn’t leave! Where would she go? Who would take care of her? Her friends? The friends that hated vampires more than anything? And what of Spike? Her newly found lover? She didn’t want to leave him to what torture Angelus had planned. She couldn’t leave him. She wouldn’t.
Spike saw her disobedience as he chanced a look at her. She wasn’t about to leave him. Not of her own free will. So he did the one thing he had inwardly swore never to do.
“Buffy go now! Go home to your watcher!” His voice was strong and commanding, leaving no room for argument. He smiled in satisfaction as he saw her dart out of the room at a speed he hadn’t known that she was capable of. She was safe. His slayer was going to be back with the people he knew would take care of her and protect her. Possibly make her strong enough to take Angelus on when the time came.
“That’s my girl,” was the last thing he said before Angelus knocked him unconscious in his anger.
Staring down at his motionless grandchilde, Angelus growled. Spike had ruined everything. He had planned a wondrous torture session for the slayer, but thanks to the platinum blond menace, plans had to change. He knew that this wasn’t the last he would see of Buffy. He held the one thing that the slayer wanted more than anything. Her sire. Knowing the girl, she would eventually come back for Spike, and when she did…there was going to be hell to pay and this time, Spike will be unable to get in his way.
“Dru! Come get your boy! Prep him for the cat of nine tails! I feel like wails today!”