Author's Chapter Notes:
I'm uploading this at 4:57 in the morning cos i promised you a few chapters up before i left and am leaving the house in about 20 minutes to catch my flight, please leave some reviews for me to see when i get back
Chapter 13

(Buffy's Room)

"Let me do that for you. You look like you're going to straighten your ear if you're not careful," said Willow as she took the GHD's off Buffy. "What's got into you today? I arrive all dressed up and ready to go, and you're here and haven't even started to get ready. It's not like you! Did something happen at Spike's?"

"Well, maybe. I mean-yeah. Yeah, something did happen," replied Buffy with a coy smile. "Are you sure that the blue eyeliner isn't too much? Because I'm not too sure now that I see it with the top."

"Go back there, missy. You can't just say something happened and then just switch on to another subject like that! But don't worry- the blue looks perfect with the top. Stop worrying. Now spill."

"Well, I went over to ask him if he wanted to come with us tonight, and he answered the door in a towel. I mean- have you seen the chest on him? All muscles and perfect. how was a girl meant to resist that? But I did, for a while."

"How long was this while, five minutes? Ten?"

Buffy glanced up shyly. "A little less than that. He was talking, and all I could do was stare! He looked even better than he used to, and all I could do was stare at him. His lips were moving, saying something about putting on clothes, and then it happened. I wanted to taste his mouth, him again! So I kissed him, and he kissed me back," she finished with a smile.

"What happened then? Because I have a funny feeling he wasn't going to let you do your usual evaso-girl, did he?"

"No, he didn't. I did try though. He asked me if I wanted to talk about it, and I said no, but he wouldn't let me get away with that. He thought that I didn't mean it, that I had just kissed him to forget about Angel. I couldn't let him think that, so I told him that I did still care."

"What did he say to that? Did he say whether or not he was coming tonight?"

"Yeah, he is coming tonight. He said he'd pick up his girlfriend and her best friend at nine."

"His girlfriend? Oh my god- congratulations! I knew you guys were perfect for each other."

"Yeah, well, I always said that you were the smart one, didn't I?"

"That you did, that you did."

* * *

(Spike's Bathroom)

'To go for curls or to just slick it back, that is the question' thought Spike as he looked in the mirror. It was laughable really- he was only going out with Buffy again, and he was worrying which way she would like it. 'I'll slick it back, and if it looks like she'd like it in curls, I can rub the gel out and get it sorted.' Yeah, that's what he would do. He'd turn into a poof, which was just what she would need right now- another thing to look after and worry about.

What was it about Buffy that with just a little smile or by catching your eye that she could get under your skin, and so quickly? How did Angel manage to keep her so long? Oh, that's right- the bastard used brute force on the poor girl. That still confused him. How did he get away with it? The Buffy he had left behind had a strong left hook. Not only had he seen the effects but felt them. It was strange that she had just taken the abuse without a fight. He'd have to ask her about that some day when she was up to talking about it again. But first, he had to beat Angel to a pulp. At least he had a loophole on that one. Yes, he had promised not to go after the son of a bitch, but self-defense- now that was a whole other thing. All he had to do was goad him into hitting him first.

Bloody hell, look at the time. He was going to be late to pick her and Red up. That wouldn't be a great impression to give for their first date. It was funny- even with so much history between them, it still was technically their first date. He took one last glance at the mirror, taking it all in. 'Not too bad,' he mused, looking at the image in front of him. 'Not too bad at all.'

* * *

Buffy's House - Five minutes later

"Mom, will you get the door for me and tell him we'll be ready in ten minutes, please?"

"William, it's so good to see you again. I heard you were back and was wondering when you would drop by. Would you like a cup of hot chocolate while you wait for the girls to get ready?"

"Do you still have those mini-marshmallows?"

"Of course. So, tell me what kept you away for so long?"

"As you know, I went back to visit my gran, and she was really sick for the first year I was there. Then, about three months ago, she died. It was cancer, just like mum. After she died, I just shut everyone out. She was the last link I had to her, you know? I know Giles was there, but it just wasn't the same thing, you know. When I look at him, all I see is Da, but now, I have nowhere to look to see mum. It's like she is now fully gone."

Joyce handed him the cup of hot chocolate and patted him on the back. "There, there. You know that's not true. You have me as a link to her, or do you forget that we lived together before she met your dad? And as for seeing her, look in the mirror some time. I know your hair may be nothing like hers anymore, but the rest of you is. Except your eyes- they're exactly like your father's. So you see, even though they are dead, they have left you with memories for life, and every time you look into the mirror, you will see something of them."

"Thanks, Joyce. You're a real star, you know that, don't you?" Spike said as he gave her a hug.

"You better not let Buffy catch you doing that. You know how jealous she can get," she replied with a wink.

"Catch you doing what?" a voice coming down the stairs asked. "Are you chatting up my mom again, Spike? I thought we talked about this."

Spike smirked at her. "But you know I can't until she gives me a chance to win her heart."

"Well, I think you already have. You don't realize that I practically have to beg her for those mini-marshmallows, and you just walk in and get them straight out. If you were anyone else, I might think Mom was chasing after you. Now, come on, we'll be late for the Bronze, and Willow is dying to introduce us to Oz."

"Right behind you, luv, right behind you." He turned around and gave Joyce a hug, whispering his thanks, before following Buffy out to the car.

* * *

The Bronze

The trio entered the Bronze to be greeted by an odd-looking man with blue hair. Buffy and Spike could only assume that this was the famous Oz from the way Willow launched herself into his arms, only to be enveloped in a giant bear hug. The two blondes shared a look; Red seemed to have it bad, they thought.

After a few minutes, Willow seemed to have re-orientated herself enough to realize that she had left the other two just standing there. "Sorry, I forgot the introductions. Spike and Buffy, this is Oz. Oz, these two are Spike and Buffy," she said, gesturing to each one in turn. "Come on, let's find a table."

"Yeah, sure, there's an empty one over there. You girls go over, and I'll get us a round of drinks. The usual for everyone?" Both girls nodded. "Well, mate," he said while gesturing to Oz, "care to help me carry the drinks back to these lovely ladies?" Oz nodded and followed after Spike's retreating form.

"You do know that he is going to give him the big brother talk, don't you? 'You hurt her, I'll kill you', followed by a death glare to scare him into being nice," Buffy said to Willow.

"Yeah, but I've already warned Oz that the chances of him getting 'the talk' were high, so it's not as bad as it could be."

Buffy just gave her a look. "You're serious? This is the guy that came back from England two months early because you hinted something was wrong, and that was before he even knew that it was abuse. This is the same guy that when Cordelia tried to cut your hair in science lab, spun around and gave her a lovely lopsided fringe? But yeah, I'm sure you are right. Oz will be able to handle him."

"Oh god, do you think I should go up there?"

"No. Leave them at it. I'm sure he'll be nice enough. It's not like Oz is an asshole. They're probably up there talking about music or something."

* * *

"Look, mate, the girls would probably kill me if they thought I was going to say what I'm about to say to you, but I am warning you now, for the first and final time, if I find out you hurt Red intentionally, I will hunt you down. Now, on the other hand, if I find out that you are as nice as Red seems to think you are, then I will think of you as a savior. It will be good to have a bit more testosterone around the table to save me from the two girls. You understand me?"

"100%, but I have to ask you something. What's between you and Buffy? Cause I don't know if you know or not, but she's going out with Angel, the big man at school."

"Not anymore, she's not," Spike practically growled. "She was, but not anymore. He's an asshole, and if he even thinks about trying to get her back, I will kill him."

"So the rumors are true then? Did he actually hit her?"

"What? What do you know about that?"

"Well, I've seen them in the school corridor, and lately, she hasn't looked too happy. I know he wasn't happy with her hanging around with her old friends, said they were filling her head with nonsense. The only one of them that stuck by her was Willow, and in the end Angel, started to accept her. Not like her, anyone could see that, but he put up with her for the sake of it."

"Look, I made a promise to Buffy that I'd never tell what she told me until she was ready to let people know, so I won't. But what I will say is that you are not as far from the truth as most people would think. So if you see Angel when he comes back, and I'm not there for some reason, will you keep an eye on her for me?"

"No problem. Now, I think we better get back to the girls before Willow starts wondering if you really did go for me or not."

The two males made their way back to the group, oblivious to another couple staring intently at them the whole time. Each of them slid into the chair next to their better half and slipped their arms around their girls, almost as if they were protecting them from the unseen foe. The whole group was chatting away amongst themselves for what felt like hours, getting to know each other again. Buffy hadn't felt this relaxed and happy in such a long time, but something was nagging at her deep inside. How long would this last before Angel got back and ruined it all? No, tried to ruin it, she corrected. He wasn't going to win this time. Spike looked at Buffy. She seemed to be deep in thought, and from the way her hand was clenched, it didn't appear to be of the good.

"Care to dance?" he asked as he held out his hand to her and led her out to the dance floor. It still amazed him how she fitted so perfectly beside him, be it on the dance-floor or in. . . don't be a fool. There will be time enough to think of that again. No need to rush the girl- she's here, she's happy, and she's safe- that's the main thing. Whatever you do, don't push her, or she could run, and you wouldn't know what to do to find her then.

So dear to me
Always keep me company
Who needs to go outside
I will be your silent bride
I can't take my eyes off you

She loved the feeling of being in his arms again after so long. He was so different than Angel. When Angel was holding her like this while they danced, she felt trapped, smothered even. Yet, in Spike's arms, she felt loved and cherished, but she knew she'd be able to leave them. With Angel, it was just a way in which to control her. She sighed happily as she lay her head against his shoulder and slowly, but deliberately, stuck her tongue out and licked the length of his neck with a smile.

Nothing ever needs to be said
You send your message right into my head
You fill me up when I'm alone
So soothing is your monotone

'What was the bitch doing?' fumed the man in the shadows. 'She should know better. Not only dancing with him, if that's what you could call it. She would pay for embarrassing him like this. He had warned her, but had she listened? She would be punished. She deserved to be.'

"Hey, baby, would you like to dance, or are you just going to stare at that blonde couple all night?" Faith asked him with a glare. "I didn't come back with you for you to go all broody every time you see your ex."

I can't take my eyes off you
I can't take my eyes off you

What was the little minx doing? She had started to lick the side of his neck and was now gently sucking his Adam's apple. Where did she learn to do these things with her tongue? On second thought, maybe I don't want to know, he mused. He moved his head down until his mouth was just at her ear and slowly licked behind it, knowing how sensitive it was, before smiling wickedly at her, whispering in her ear, "Two can play at that game." He then lifted her head upwards and kissed her passionately.

So maybe you're not as real as the others
But I choose you over all my past lovers
For they have come and they have gone
but I can always turn you on

"Luv, do you fancy going outside for a bit of air and a chat?"

Buffy looked up at him. "Yeah, sure. Are you ok?"

"Just fancy a smoke and a chance to have some alone time with my girl."

"Alone time, eh? And from the look on your face, I doubt that that means just holding hands, now doesn't it?" Spike managed to look slightly sheepish. "Just give me a moment to let Willow know and grab my coat, ok?"

"Sure."

I can't take my eyes off you
I can't take my eyes off you

'Where was she going this early? And why was Spike still following her? Did he not know she had gotten over him? She's with me now,' thought Angel, glaring at the blonde duo. ' I'll teach her a lesson, and she won't forget it this time,' he vowed as he walked out of the club after them.

Authors Note: I know it may sound strange the whole straightening your ear thing but I want to say that it can happen, it hurts like hell, and the burn marks lasted about 2 months!!! So just be very careful when doing your hair