Chapter 7
(Wed night The Bronze)

They had only been there about twenty minutes but Buffy already began to feel more relaxed, more comfortable with herself.. She smiled to herself as she remembered what she had been like just before she had come into the Bronze, nearly making Willow take her home to change. She was glad now that she hadn't. She was attracting enough attention just by being here as something other than Angels arm-candy. And was starting to enjoy the looks of envy and admiration she was getting from all around.

Buffy looked at Willows face and wondered what, or who, had brought a smile like that to her face. Before she had a chance to ask she felt a hand on her shoulder.

"Buffy, luv, its soo good to see you again."

"Spike, . .. you're back! What . . . when . . . how . Willow what did you have to do with this! Wow, its great to see you again. When did you get back"

"Today, I came in about half ten"

"Is your uncle with you?"

"No, he won't be back til the end of the summer, I'm just setting up the place for him"

"Wow, things must have changed, there was a time he wouldn't trust you alone in the house overnight, and now he's leaving you there for over two months!"

After several more minutes of stilted awkward conversation, they lapsed into an awkward silence. 'For gods sake think of something to say, thought Spike

" Buff you wanna dance . . .. . you know for old time sake?"

" Yeah, I'd like that"

As Spike lead Buffy out to the dance floor the opening bars of 'Have I told you lately' filled the club. They moved in closer and started to sway in time to the music

Have I told you lately that I love you,
Have I told you lately theres no one else above you
Fill my heart with gladness, take away my sadness
Ease my troubles that's what you do

'God did he know how to pick songs to suit the mood' thought Buffy as she lay her head down on his shoulder. It felt right just dancing there with him even after all this time. They fitted together like two interlocking pieces of a jigsaw puzzle. But it was too soon . . . . her and Angel had just ended. She couldn't be thinking like that. Anyway she reasoned she knew next to nothing about what he had been up to for the last two years, if he'd ever gotten over her, . . .. if he was trying to get over someone else . . . nada!

For the morning sun and all its glory
Meets the day with hope and comfort too
You fill my life with laughter, some how you make it better
Ease my troubles that's what you do

She was still as beautiful as he had remembered. At first he had seen no signs of the Buffy Willow had been hinting at, but as he looked closer he noticed how every so often her eyes had darted quickly around the club as if trying to reassure herself someone wasn't there. Even the way she had flinched when he had his hand on her shoulder, not to mention the old bruise that was on her cheekbone, fair enough it was nearly gone , but it still looked as if it had been nasty. What ever was up he'd sort it out, who was he kidding he'd still do anything for her. He glanced down at her head resting gently on his shoulder and impulsively gave her a kiss on the cheek . . . .

There's a love that's defined
And it's yours and mine like the sun
And at the end of the day
We should give thanks and pray to the one, to the one

Did he just kiss me? Wondered Buffy or was it some kind of dream 'cos if it was I don't think I want to wake up from it. They continued dancing neither saying a word but thankfully they seemed to have overcome the whole awkward silence and had moved on to the companionably one, which comforted both of them. Finally the song ended and both realised that it was time to break apart, and go back to will who they'd left alone at the table
Willow watched the two blondes on the dance floor with a satisfied grin. Maybe getting them together wouldn't be as hard as she had first thought. All that she would have to do is to get past Buffys stubborn insistence that she wasn't ready for any other guys, and that she wanted to re-find her-self! But who better to 're-find' yourself with than your two best friends?! And if one of them turned out to become something more than that well one of them turns out to be something more. . . . no biggie. And if Buffy was happier in her self it would make it easier for Willow to introduce Oz, with Spike back now there was no worry of Buffy feeling like a third nipple, and it might just push the two of them together . . . .