Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you to everyone who reviewed my last chapter! I ptomise Angel will get whats coming to him eventually! Plese review.. the more you review the faster you'll get the next chapter!!!!
Chapter 10: Market Run

Willow had noticed Elizabeth’s silence and was starting to get worried about her. That evening when everyone else had gone to bed she slipped into Elizabeth’s room without even knocking. She found her curled up on her bed weeping. Hugging her friend she held her until her tears subsided.

“Oh Willow its horrible, it’s just horrible.”

“What’s wrong Elizabeth? You can tell me.”

Elizabeth looked at Willow through bleary eyes, “It’s A-Angel, he isn’t an angel Willow, he isn’t” With that Elizabeth started to cry again and threw herself on Willow resting her head on her lap. Willow slowly played with Elizabeth’s hair, soothing her. “He said he loved me Willow, he said it and I believed him, but it was all a game. You should have heard the things he said. It was like I was nothing. I meant nothing to him.”

Willow looked at her friend she seemed so small and broken, how could their Angel have done this to her. Sure she had heard rumours of other girls who had worked here, but she had never believed them for a second, how could he really be as those tales portrayed him. But here was Elizabeth, living proof that he did do those things. Willow felt guilty, even though the logical part of her brain told her that there was nothing she could have done to prevent this her gut wasn’t listening. If she had told Elizabeth the rumours she had heard, even if she hadn’t believed them herself this might not have happened, if she hadn’t encouraged Elizabeth to seize the moment or put the idea in her head then maybe, just maybe this wouldn’t have happen. But nothing was going to change this now, what had happened had happen, probably for some reason that would soon identify itself, all Willow could do now was offer some comfort to her friend.

“Oh Elizabeth I’m so sorry, it must have been horrible.”

“I think horrible is still coming. Right now, it's worse. Right now, I'm just trying to keep from dying. He said such horrible things, made it sound like I was nothing but a common prostitute.”

“Oh Elizabeth, your not, don’t believe it for a second. You felt something, and you did nothing wrong, you loved him, and I was sure he loved you back. Therefore you did nothing wrong.” Elizabeth raised her head to look into Willows eyes. “Look you should get some sleep, you don’t want to be tired while working tomorrow you have to walk into the village remember”

“Oh I haven’t forgotten, I’m looking forward for once it will get me away from the Manor for a while.”

“There see, not everything’s doom and gloom.” Elizabeth climbed under the covers and curled up into a little ball. As Willow reached the door she turned back to look at Elizabeth, “Elizabeth, don’t let him beat you. Your stronger than you think, show him that.”

“Thank you Willow. No one told me it would be this hard when I came to work for the Hartley Manor.”

“No one would, they never do. Goodnight Elizabeth.” With that Willow left the room and went into her own.

***
When Elizabeth got up the following morning, after a fitful nights sleep she dressed into her own simply dress, no point getting dressed into her uniform only to change back into her own dress to go to market. She did however tie her hair in its bun; it would save time when she got back. Looking in the mirror her face looked slightly puffy from crying but hopefully it wasn’t too noticeable. With one last glance in the mirror she picked up her shawl and left the room and went down to breakfast.

***
William stood at his library window watching as Elizabeth once again set off up the long drive walking into the village. He didn’t wait till she was out of sight this time he simply turned from the window, strode over to his desk and rung the bell.

Within minutes Willow was entering the room, she kept her eyes on the floor waiting for his order.

“I need my horse saddling up”

Willow looked up. “Would you like to wait till after breakfast sir?”

“No, I ‘d like to go now, I’ll have something to eat when I come back. I’m not sure when that will be so you can tell cook that she doesn’t have to save me anything”

Willow knew that Maggie wouldn’t be happy about that, she hated when people didn’t eat the food she spent time making, but she didn’t say anything. “Will there be anything else sir?”

“No that’s all, could you just make it as quick as possible?”

“Yes sir, I’ll come and inform you when your horse is saddled sir.” With that Willow exited the room and went straight down to break the news to Maggie, she then went to find Oz to tell him the daunting news that he had to saddle up Williams horse. However it was like Spike knew that his master had an important engagement as for one of the first times ever he actual cooperated, and within 10 minutes Willow was knocking on Williams door again to inform him that his horse was ready.

Entering the courtyard he mounted his horse. Riding to the end of the driveway, William could see no sign of Elizabeth anywhere. There were several different ways she could have gone into the village, and he didn’t have a clue which one she would pick. The girl was still a mystery to him, a mystery he was more than willing to spend time trying to unravel. Deciding to make his own way to the village and hopefully see her there, he headed off the quickest way he knew. If luck was on his side it may be the way that she had herself chosen.


As it turned out luck had not been on his side, the route that he had chosen had been waterlogged slowing his horse down considerably, needless to say this had not been the way that Elizabeth had come. When he had finally reached the village Elizabeth had already gotten there. William watched from the shadows as she bought the things that Maggie needed, the spark seemed to have left her. He watched as she talked with the young woman who was running the fruit stall, they seemed to be old friends. William didn’t move from his spot as he watched mesmerised by her as she talked and laughed with the people of the village. They all seemed to know her, yet not one of them noticed her pain.

William was snapped out of his spell as he saw Elizabeth put the last items into her basket and start to head out of the village and back to the manor. Urging his horse he followed the way that she was going.

***
Elizabeth kept her eyes on the floor her mind deep in thought. The chilly morning air was doing nothing to clear her head. As she heard a horse approaching behind her she stepped to the side of the dirt path to let it pass. However as the horse and rider came level with her it slowed, glancing up she saw Master William riding his horse. She didn’t stop walking as he talked to her, neither did she look back up at his face instead kept her eyes trained on the way that she was going.

“Master William is there something that you want?”

“No was just out for a ride. Happened to pass you while I was out.”

“Well if you don’t need anything sir, then will you please excuse me as I really need to get back to the manor.”

“Actual there is something that I need.”

“What is it sir?”

“Well, Elizabeth wasn’t it?” although he knew her name, it had become ingrained in his mind, he wanted a reason, any reason, to get her talking.

“Yes sir my name is Elizabeth, what was it that you wanted?”

“Well I want you to stop.” Doing as she was told, Elizabeth stopped even though she really didn’t have time for this. “Right, now Elizabeth I want you to look at me.” Once again, Elizabeth did as requested, green eyes meeting her dark blue ones. “Not everyone is like Liam love.” Elizabeth saw the truth of his words in his eyes, and was spell bound by it. Snapping out of it she quickly adjusted her eyes back to the track in front of her and carried on walking at a faster pace.

The girl was infuriating, why wouldn’t she just acknowledge the things that she had seen instead of shying away from them. Catching up with her, he leaned down on his horse as she carried on walking making him more face to face with her.

“So pet, you seem to know a lot of the people in the village, how long you lived there?”

“A few years sir.”

“So tell me, what do the people of the village think of Hartley Manor then?
For that matter what does everyone think of the great poof?”

When Elizabeth refused to answer his question and just carried on walking looking straight ahead, William felt his temper start to give, this girl was as annoying as hell. “Well?”

“Its not my place to comment sir.”

“Well I’m giving you permission for it to be your place, come on I won’t tell anyone, it’ll be our little secret.”

Elizabeth felt her temper start to rise as well now, this man was so arrogant, no wonder she hadn’t got to know him better. As she felt his eyes boring into her, she felt all the emotions of the previous day snap. Spinning round she stood perfectly still, eyes flashing red.

“Look, I am not gonna tell you what other people think, if you are really that interested, then go and get off your aristocratic arse and go and find out yourself, instead of sitting there quizzing me, because believe me I do have better things to do!” With that she spun back round and carried on walking again at a quick pace.

William sat stock still on his horse, no one had ever had the nerve to challenge him. Instead of being angry though he just found his interest peeked more. Elizabeth really was a vixen and one he was more than willing to get to know.

“Crap!” Hearing Elizabeth curse, bought another smile to his lips. Elizabeth really was different to any lady he had ever had the pleasure on encountering before.

Trotting up to her he leaned down to look at the flustered blond.

“What is it love?”

Pointing at the cart that was passing, Elizabeth tried to get her words out. “James… blacksmith… here…Maggie’s gonna kill me.”

“Didn’t follow you round that bend pet.”

“Well try listening for a change…that’s James Carlingford the blacksmith, are you keeping up?” when he nodded Elizabeth continued, “He arrives at market the same time everyday… in the whole 18 years he’s been coming to this village he has never once been early or late, you could set your clocks by him. Now if he is here, means I’m late. Thereby Maggie is going. To. Kill. Me. So I really don’t have time to be stood here talking, ok?” she then carried on walking at a fast pace.

“I see your dilemma love.”

Without stopping Elizabeth called over her shoulder “Stop calling me that, I have a name.”

William really liked the fire in this girl. Ridding next to her again he reached out hand to her. “Give me your basket.”

“What?”

“Look don’t argue just give it me.”

Gingerly she handed him her basket. When he had in nestled in front if him he reached his hand down again. “Now give me your hand.”

“Why? What are you doing?”

“Saving your ass, though I’m not exactly sure why.”

As she slipped her hand into his he hauled her up onto the back of his horse. With her arms tightly round his waist he set off at a canter towards the manor.


William stopped in front of the kitchen entrance and carefully helped Elizabeth down. Gently easing her onto her feet before handing her the heavy basket.

“See back safe and sound, no reason for Maggie to kill you.”

With that William turned Spike and trotted off to the stables. Elizabeth stayed glued to the spot as she watched him leave. When he was out of sight she turned and ran into the kitchen, hoping no one had seen her. Her heart was suddenly feeling a little lighter.

TBC....