Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you to everyone who has reviewed it means a lot to me! this chapter is for the fabulous Bitten... thank you sooo much for everything sweetie, and also for Suzee I hope you enjoy this one hunny, sorry I kept you waiting so long! More Learning Curve would be nice *hint hint*
Chapter 12: Preparing

Elizabeth managed to survive the rest of the day by submerging herself in her work and not allowing herself to think about what had happened that morning. However, when it came to evening Elizabeth couldn’t block out the memories anymore, and as she slept her dreams took over. She dreamt about what had happened, and what would have happened if William hadn’t shown up when he did. She dreamt of all the things she could have done to stop it from ever happening. Her mind replayed every move, every gesture, everything that could have been done differently.

She woke in a cold sweat with tears pouring down her face. Sitting up, she wrapped a blanket round herself and cried whole-heartedly. When she had calmed enough to take deep breaths, she lay back down and pulled her sheets up to her ears, trying to disappear. However, each time she tried to close her eyes, images of Parker assaulted her senses.

Knowing that she wasn’t going to get any sleep, she sat up and lit the single candle next to her. She needed to do something to keep her mind occupied; suddenly she remembered the bible in the draw next to her. Reaching over she snatched it out the drawer. She stayed reading the thin pages until the first golden rays of the newly rising sun reached over the horizon.

Although it was still early she had a strip wash in her little sink, and even though it was her second one in the last 12 hours, she still felt dirty. Deciding to wash her hair in the little sink again, she carefully took it out of the simple plait. Although the water was cold, it would do. As she washed her hair Elizabeth, realised with a little sob that she may never feel clean again - it wouldn’t matter if she scrubbed her skin until it was red raw, she would always feel dirty.

Pinning her wet hair up, Elizabeth dressed quickly to ward off the chill that was starting to creep over her. She knew that due to washing her hair she was late, however she couldn’t seem to muster the energy to care.

Entering the kitchen she found everyone was there, as she had expected, however, Elizabeth was shocked speechless to find Master William stood in the centre of the kitchen talking to Maggie.

As Elizabeth stood stock-still gaping at the scene in front of her like a fish out of water, she realised that the rest of the staff around her were trying to go about their tasks without making it too obvious they were listening. Elizabeth slipped out of her reserve when she heard Master William raise his voice.

“Right then Miss Walsh, I expect that done then.”

“Yes, sir.”

With that, he turned and walked out of the room without glancing at any of the staff. As soon as he was out of sight, everyone turned to look at Maggie.

“I’m sure you all heard, well, we’ll eat and then we will get everything arranged.”

Elizabeth felt very confused. She was sure she was missing something, but realised it was best to sit down and stay quiet instead of drawing attention to the fact that she had been late. Sitting down, she waited until everyone else had sat before she started eating.

When the dishes had been cleaned away everyone stood around the kitchen awaiting instructions from Maggie.

“Daniel, Larry, I would like you two to go and saddle up Master Williams horse into the trap. I know what a beast he can be I don’t expect you back straight away.” With that, Oz and Larry left the kitchen through the side door. “Jonathon, I will need some tomatoes, you will fetch those from the garden.” As Jonathon left, Elizabeth started to feel even more bewildered. “Tara, you will help me prepare.” Tara weakly nodded before turning back to the large sink. “Wesley, would you go and fetch everything that will be needed today.” Wesley then left the kitchen through the servant entrance. Willow, Amy and Elizabeth were left standing in the kitchen looking at Maggie. “As there is still a household to run, Amy you will go and sort out the days attire for Lady Darla and Willow you will go and set the table ready for breakfast.”

“Yes, Miss.”

With that, both girls left the kitchen. Maggie then turned to her chopping board despite the fact that Elizabeth was still stood there.

Feeling even more confused now that everyone else had been given a chore and she hadn’t, Elizabeth decided to go and help Willow in the dining room. As she reached the door, Maggie’s voice rang around the kitchen.

“Where do you think your going, Miss Summers?”

Stunned, Elizabeth spun round to face Maggie. “Well ummmm, you didn’t give me a job, so ummm I thought I would go and assist Willow.” She knew she was stuttering but she couldn’t help it when Maggie had her pinned with her icy stare.

“Did you not hear what Master William was talking about?”

“No ma’am I was… umm, late.” Elizabeth admitted quietly.

A look of thunder crossed Maggie’s face.

“Well, Miss Summers, as I am in a kind mood I will repeat it, but don’t expect tardiness to be taken lightly in the future. Now it appears Master William has arranged a picnic today between some close friends. Though clearly he did not have the decency to tell me this before the actual day. So now we are running round getting everything ready for him. He has asked for you in particular to be his personal maid for the day.” Casting her eyes up and down Elizabeth’s body she muttered, “Though I can’t see why.” Before speaking directly to Elizabeth again, “So I would suggest you go to your room and fix your appearance, as at the moment, with hair like that, you don’t seem fit to be out in public.” She then turned her back on Elizabeth and went back to her chopping board.

Elizabeth quietly left the kitchen, her head buzzing with unanswered questions. Why had he chosen her? Didn’t he realise that she wasn’t really in the right state of mind to be the perfect servant for the day.

Elizabeth spent five minutes fixing her hair. She took down her roughly constructed bun and let the ringlets frame her face. Then picking up a handful of hairpins off the dresser, she re -pinned her now dry hair back up, this time making the bun much tighter and more secure. She then smoothed down the few creases in her dress before sponging the few marks on her apron. She vowed to wash it properly before she went to bed.

Casting one last look at her appearance in the small mirror, she went back down to the kitchen. She saw a large picnic basket sat on the table. The basket seemed to be quite full and had a blue blanket spread across the contents. There seemed to be a smaller basket next to it that had bottles sticking out of the top. Seeing Maggie put another bottle into the basket, Elizabeth tried to stand a little straighter.

“Elizabeth, ahh, I see you were able to locate your hair brush this time. Now, I don’t have time to inform you of the contents of the baskets, as Master William is insisting that he leaves soon, so you’ll find out what is in them when you unpack them. Now, listen to me very carefully, Miss Summers, I’ll make no secret of the fact that I don’t believe you are the best for this job, Miss Rosenberg would have been much better suited, however it was you - whom Master William specifically asked for. If, however, you take one step out of line, or do anything that would reflect badly on the household, as remember you are representing us all today, you will be out of work so quick you won’t have chance to breath. Do I make myself quite clear?”

“Yes, Miss Walsh.” Elizabeth was loathed to admit it but she was actually quite intimidated. She was saved from further lecturing when Oz and Larry re-entered the kitchen. Maggie turned to look at them.

“I take it everything is ready to go?” Maggie asked and Oz nodded solemnly, “Good, Daniel and Larry could you two go and secure the baskets.” Oz nodded once before picking up one of the baskets, while Larry picked up the other, slightly heavier, one. They both then left the way they had come in. “Elizabeth, would you go up to master Williams library and inform him everything is ready to go.”

Knowing it was a statement and not a request, Elizabeth nodded and left the room.

When Elizabeth reached the room she knocked quietly on the door. When there was no reply, she tried knocking a little harder. By the fourth knock when there had still been no reply, Elizabeth decided to go against every servant rule and entered the room.

Entering, Elizabeth glanced around the grand room, but there was no sign of William anywhere in the room. Deciding that he would probably be back shortly as this had been the place that Maggie had said to find him, she decided to wait, at least for a few moments anyway.

As Elizabeth took a proper look around, she was in awe. The room was magnificent. Stepping over to one of the stacks, she ran her fingers along the spines of the books. Reading the titles, she gazed longingly at them. If only she could have one, just one that’s all she would ask. Checking that there was no one around, she slipped one of the books off the shelf, running her fingers over the gold lettering. As she opened the book it creaked its protest slightly, however, Elizabeth could tell from the pages that it had clearly been well read. Lifting it to her nose, she took in the smell. She loved the smell of books, it told you so much about their history - it was Mr Giles who had taught her that. Savouring the smell, she read the first pages.

Elizabeth was so engrossed in reading the first few pages that she didn’t notice Master William approaching behind her.

As he placed his hand on her shoulder, Elizabeth spun around with a gasp and nearly dropped the book she held in her hand. She looked at Master William with large scared eyes.

“Ummm Master William, I was ummmm…”

William placed a finger on her lips, cutting her off mid ramble. “I see you found me, Miss Summers. I take it the carriage is ready?” when he gave her a shy smile, Elizabeth could only nod. “Ahh, good shall, we go then?”

Elizabeth nodded again, still clutching the book to her chest. William slowly extracted the book from her arms and read the cover. “Oh, an excellent choice, Pet, I will definitely enjoy that one today.” Handing it back to her he turned and started walking out of the room before calling over his shoulder. “Are you coming love, and don’t forget the book?”

Dumbfounded, all Elizabeth could do was mutely follow him out of the room and down to the waiting carriage.

William stopped dead in front of the carriage causing Elizabeth to nearly run into him. Sat at the front of the carriage holding the reins was a very short looking Oz.

“Osborne, what are you doing here?”

“Miss Walsh told me I was to be your chauffer for the day sir.” Oz bowed his head but did not step down.

“I made it quite clear to Miss Walsh that I needed no such thing, therefore skidadle.”

Climbing down from the reins, Oz said a very curt “Yes, Sir.” Before walking off to the kitchen. Climbing up to the reins himself, William watched Elizabeth closely. She hadn’t moved a muscle and it was clear she was unsure what to do. He realised she hadn’t been in this situation before.

As the perfect servant, she was expected to sit up at the reins, but that would mean sitting next to him and would that be considered wrong, or was she suppose to sit inside like royalty.

Taking pity on her, William directed her to go and sit in the carriage. Silently she did so. There she sat with the book clutched on her lap as they slowly set off, both considering what the day would hold.

TBC......

Please now all go review!!!!!