Author's Chapter Notes:
I am really really really sorry this has taken so long to update... Feel free to all hate me!!!! It has just all been so majorly hectic here! However I am back on track, I haven't lost my must to write this one or anything.. infact I have numerous chapters wrote up in advance! I promise I'll be back to posting twice a week!!!!!! I hope you all like this one!
Chapter 15: Rise and fall

Elizabeth felt relaxed and calm the next day as she got back on with her chores. It was strange how just spending one day with William had effectively given her the strength inside herself to cope with all the things she had to deal with. As she thought back to their day yesterday, where they had just laid in the sun talking about inconsequential things, she realised that with her new strength and resolve she felt as though she could face even Liam’s malicious comments, which she knew would be tossed her way today just like they where every other day. William was so different from Liam his personality, his passions - Elizabeth didn’t think it was possible to get two people less alike.

They had arrived back at the manor at about 4 o’clock. Willow had immediately cornered her, demanding to know everything, yet for some reason Elizabeth didn’t feel inclined to share. She wanted to keep what was between herself and William between herself and William. She had told Willow that it had been a dull picnic and his friends had been equally dull, and that she had sat at the sidelines. She immediately felt bad for lying to Willow but she wouldn’t change her decision, what herself and William had shared was special and she didn’t want to cheapen it by telling others.

The thing Elizabeth felt terrible about above all else was being dishonest to William. He had told her everything, shared everything with her, but she had held back the truth about herself. She hadn’t told him who she really was and that was eating her up inside.

But she knew she couldn’t really tell him. If she did then everything would change. Therefore, she made a firmly resolved to tell nobody the truth about little Buffy Summers.

As she was carrying a large amount of wood to one of the main rooms to light the grand fire, she quite literally ran into Amy who knocked her out of her reverie. Amy had a large smile on her face, which puzzled Elizabeth - Amy never seemed happy while working.

“Oh sorry, Elizabeth, I really should try watching where I’m going.” Bending down, Amy picked up the log that had fallen off the top of the pile.

“Its ok, Amy, no harm done. To be honest I wasn’t watching where I was going either. What’s made you all happy this morning any way?”

“Haven’t you seen Willow?”

“No, not since breakfast. Maggie has kept me really busy, I don’t think she liked me being away from the manor yesterday. So tell me what’s happened?” Elizabeth’s heart started thumping in her chest, she really hoped it had nothing to do with Willow – Amy had always seemed slightly bitter towards Willow’s good rapport with Maggie. Elizabeth was sure that Amy would much rather be in Willow’s place.

“Well I really should wait for Willow to tell you, it is her news after all.”

Elizabeth felt her heart leap into her throat; Willow couldn’t be leaving could she? She’d become Elizabeth’s best friend; she couldn’t just leave her here alone. This just made Elizabeth feel even worse about not telling Willow everything. She was that caught up in her thoughts that she hadn’t realised Amy was still talking.

“…Well let’s just say… the Chase’s finally got what was coming to them.”

Elizabeth relaxed lightly on hearing that. That was until her head told her that could mean Willow was going to work at the Chase manor. Last week she had heard the Chase’s had been looking for a new servant.

Telling Amy she really had to get on, she quickly hurried to the main day room and placed the logs down in the basket next to the fire ready for the evening. She then made a firm resolve to go find Willow and try to convince her to stay - even if convincing her meant telling her about herself and William.

As it had been the day after she had slept with Liam, luck was clearly not on her side when it came to finding someone. She had briefly run into Willow about an hour after talking with Amy however Maggie had quickly pulled them both away and they hadn’t had a chance to talk. She had tried to assess her mood, to try to work out if she seemed like she was leaving, however the meeting had been that brief it had been nigh on impossible. According to the main clock in the hall, it was now 3.45pm and she still hadn’t seen Willow.

All afternoon her mind had dwelled on the thought of Willow leaving, and she was now near hysterical about it. Even a brief meeting with William hadn’t managed to alleviate any tension. Despite him being his usual charming self.

Realising there was little chance she would see her before the evening meal she finally gave up hope and quietly slipped into the servant corridor so she could carry on with the rest of her jobs. However, on entering the corridor she saw stood up ahead, as though a mirage was Willow.

Running up to her, Elizabeth enveloped her in a big hug, shocking Willow.

“Oh, ok this is nice, I love you, too. Oh, ok, Elizabeth what have I done… Ok oxygen becoming an issue now.”

Elizabeth quickly let her go, smoothing down her apron before looking at Willow.

“Sorry, Will.” Elizabeth looked down sheepishly.

“Its ok, but what have I done to deserve the hug treatment?”

“Oh, Willow, you can’t leave. I don’t care if they are paying you more or have offered you loads of benefits, you can’t leave here. You can’t leave me; I have so much to tell you. I lied about yesterday, you were right, his friends weren’t there; it was just the two of us. I’m really sorry I didn’t tell you, please don’t leave, Willow, please?” Elizabeth finally looked at her, her eyes pleading with Willow to stay.

“Ok back up a few spaces. First, I knew something happened yesterday, you were all happy, which can I say is really good. I love when you are all smiley. Second… What? What do you mean I’m leaving? I’m not going anywhere.”

“But… But Amy said.”

“Wait, what did Amy say?”

“She said you had some big news to tell me, and that the Chase’s have got what was coming to them, and I know that they are looking for a new maid. And well I guess I put two and two together.”

Willow looked at her before bursting out laughing. Bending over holding her side, she looked up and saw Elizabeth’s hurt look. “Sorry, it’s just that its really funny… no, I’m not going anywhere, rest assured.”

“Well, what’s your big news then if it’s not that you are leaving?” Elizabeth felt slightly silly for jumping to conclusions, however now that the relief had hit her that Willow wasn’t leaving she was curious as to what her news actually was.

“I’m afraid after your drama my little news will seem inconsequential. Are you sure you still want to here it?” At Elizabeth’s nod Willow continued. “Well I heard it while I was in the village. The whole village is buzzing about it. Apparently, the Chase’s are having financial problems. You see, whereas the Hartley Manor fortunes are from centuries of aristocracy the Chase’s money comes from business and investment. Apparently Mr Chase has made a few too many bad business decisions and the debt collectors have come collecting.” Willow’s eyes twinkled with mischief as though it had been she who had caused them to become bankrupt.

“What does this mean for them then?”

“It means that the entire Chase family are now totally penniless. Do you want to know makes it all the more satisfying? – Poor little princess Cordelia, who hasn’t worked a day in her life, has to find a job! Rumour has it that Angel; our very own Angel has his eye on hiring her as the new scullery maid. I think it’s a sort of favour to Mr Chase as no one’s really going to hire her. It means that now we get to boss her around. There’ll be no more looking at us as though we are below her. Payback is such a bitch!”

Elizabeth had flinched at the nick name of her ex-love however had quickly recovered. Willow had been calling Master Liam that for years it was probably just second nature to her and she probably didn’t even realise she was doing it. Therefore she quickly shook off the goose bumps the memory of Angel had brought and turned back to Willow smiling.

If Elizabeth was truly honest with herself, she felt sorry for Cordelia, and wouldn’t be quick to judge her past behaviour. If Willow knew Elizabeth’s past she also may not be as quick to judge, but it was simply not the way Willow had been brought up. Therefore, Elizabeth bit her tongue and joined in with Willow with the gloating.

“It will be so fun – we could make her do all the jobs we don’t want to!”

“Exactly … now we should head back to the kitchen else Maggie will start to wonder what’s taking us both so long.”

Hooking her arm though Elizabeth’s, Willow led them back to the kitchens to see what further orders Maggie would have for them. “So then Missy are you gonna spill with all the details about yesterday or am I going to have to force it out of you… the anticipation is killing me here!”

Elizabeth’s laughter filled the tiny corridor as she revealed every minute detail of the day before.


***
William was unsure what was going on with Elizabeth. After yesterday he had really thought that they were getting somewhere, that they were finally relaxed in each other’s company. However today she seemed to have reverted to how they had been. She seemed distant and closed off. Maybe it was the disappearance of Spike and Buffy. He figure that maybe she didn’t feel safe being herself when wearing the mantle of Elizabeth. But whatever the reason it really confused the hell out of him, he really had thought that they had made progress the day before. He hoped she had just been pre-occupied today and there wasn’t actually anything wrong.

He mulled the thought over in his head as he headed down to the day room where lady Darla had requested his presence. As he entered the day room he just stood there stock still staring at the girl in front of him.

Looking up, the blonde sat on the chaise lounge glanced up at William before her whole face lit up with joy.

“Oh my little blondie bear… Lady Darla said you wouldn’t keep me waiting long.”

“Harmony…..?”

tbc......