Author's Chapter Notes:
Two updates in one week! wow go me! I realised you all deserved it as I have kept you waiting for so long! I hope you all like. The next chapter will be in a week... hopefully! Guess it depends on how many reviews i get!
Chapter 22: Helping hand

Buffy carried on walked by Spike’s side for a while, neither of them saying a word. Slowly, Buffy slipped her hand into his.

Spike jumped slightly when he felt her small hand slip into his. Quickly adjusting to the surprise, he squeezed her hand and carried on walking.

“Thank you for today, Spike” Buffy gave him a shy look as they walked back to the manor hand in hand.

“What for, love?” Slightly confused as to why she was thanking him, Spike stopped them and looked her directly in the eye, his eyebrow raised.

“Thank you for coming today, for making the effort, thank you for everything. Most importantly thank you for making it possible for me to do this.” Leaning up, she kissed Spike fully on the lips.

Pulling back Spike gave her a puzzled look. “Are you sure, love? Because I made a promise to a lady that I would never kiss her unless she wanted it. I don’t want you thinking I am pushing myself on you. I don’t want you to think that you have to do this. I want you to be happy.”

Instead of answering him, Buffy threaded her arms around his neck, pulling his body down so that it was on level with hers. She then kissed him again; with such passion it took both their breaths away.

Finally breaking away from him, Buffy looked Spike straight in the eye.

“Spike, you aren’t throwing yourself on me. I want this – I want you.” She said it with such sincerity Spike was left with no doubt that she spoke truthfully. “So, yes, I am sure.”

Spike gave her one last look, just to make sure the words she spoke where true, and then scooped her up into his arms. Spinning her around, he kissed every inch of her face.

Coming to a halt still in each other’s arms, Spike looked Buffy deep in the eyes. Leaning down, he peppered little kisses all over her face.

“Well the first thing…” Kiss “I am going...” Kiss “to do…” kiss “is bloody well marry…” kiss “you, Miss Elizabeth Summers.”

This suddenly snapped Buffy out of her daze, as though she had just had a bucket of cold water poured down her back. Giving Spike a little push so that she could look him fully in the face, she faced him full in.

“No.”

“No?” Spike looked at Buffy with a confused expression on his handsome face.

“Spike, I can’t marry you.”

“Why the bleeding hell not? Is this because of peaches?” Spike felt himself start to lose his grip on his temper.

“Spike, please don’t be angry.” Placing a gentle hand on his arm, she felt her presence calm him slightly, however he still seemed tightly wound. “I can’t marry you, it wouldn’t be fair to either one of us. Please accept that, Spike, please.” Buffy looked at him with wide eyes, pleading with him to understand.

“So what? You expect me to keep you as my dirty little secret.” Spike couldn’t understand what she was saying, and it was making him angry and he was starting to lash out and the nearest available person, which just happened to be Buffy.

“Is that what I feel like to you, Spike? Is it?” Buffy started to feel her temper rise as well; she didn’t like being insulted like that.

“Oh god no, Buffy, never.” Spike felt bad for lashing out. His temper vanished.

“Then that isn’t what this is.”

“I just don’t understand why we have to hide, love.”

“Spike, it would be too difficult to tell people. Can you imagine what it would be like? I’m yours, nothing and no one can stop that, but we have to keep it a secret. It’s not like we are hiding it really. It will be so special. Please, Spike.”

Spike smiled shyly at her. “For you, pet, anything.” With a smug grin on his face he once again gathered Buffy in his arms and spun her around, causing her to squeal.

“I love you, Miss Elizabeth Summers.” Spike was slightly hurt when Buffy didn’t say it back, but he knew he just had to give her time to get over everything she had been through – but he knew one day she would say it too. One day she would feel the way he did – she’d love him back. Maybe not today, but one day. She was his and that was the way he intended to keep it.

Smiling, they walked hand in hand back to the manor, both more happy than they had been in a long time.

***
On Monday morning Elizabeth went back to work. Even though she had only had one day off, going back and getting back into the routine had seemed very hard. She had had to do so much and there had seemed to be no let up all day.

Elizabeth found that the days were being made considerably easier by the presence of William. Any job that involved being near or serving William, Elizabeth took.

They would share little knowing smiles in the halls as they passed, and would watch each other while they were in the gardens. Each time she went to him, he would act the perfect gentleman, before kissing her breathless.

Elizabeth enjoyed these little breaks in her day-to-day work.

On her second week back, Elizabeth was rota’d to do the market run. As had happened the last time she had been on market run, William watched her set off and joined her every time. Together they would go into the village. When they would be entering the village, William would have to leave her. Even though Elizabeth couldn’t see him, she could sense that he was still watching her and keeping her safe. The thought always made her smile. He was her knight in shining armour, though she would never admit that thought to him.

It was on Thursday morning as they where on their way into the village that William announced it would be the last time this week they would be able to do this. Clearing his throat he turned to look at Elizabeth.

“Buffy, pet, ‘fraid I’m not going top be able to come with you again tomorrow or Saturday.”

“Oh.” Buffy’s face fell, but she tried not to look hurt “why not?”

“I have to go away to Dublin City. I have business to take care of. I will be gone until Sunday afternoon. I am sorry I could not have told you sooner.”

Although a little sad over the fact that she wouldn’t be seeing Spike for the next few days, she knew the rest of the house would be pleased, as with Lady Darla and Master Liam away until Wednesday at the moment, and now Master William going away, it would definitely mean less work. “That’s ok – but I’ll see you Sunday?” Buffy’s voice held a hopeful edge almost like a little child.

“Count on it, love.” A wide smile split Spike’s face, the infectiousness of it causing Buffy to smile as well.

Taking each other’s hand they carried on into the village. The rest of the journey was taken in relative silence, both just enjoying the others presence as it would be the last they would have for the next few days.


***
On Friday morning, as expected, Elizabeth saw nothing of William. She got up at her usual time and dressed into her simple summer dress, collected the money and list of Maggie and left the manor, travelling to the market on her own.

William however saw plenty of Elizabeth. Sat in his window seat in his study, he watched as she left the manor and walked slowly up the long drive. She walked at a slower pace than usual, and William wondered if that was because he wasn’t going to be joining her today.

When he was sure she was definitely away from the manor and wouldn’t be coming back any time soon, he left his study and went to search the house. He was determined to find the person he needed before Buffy came back.

***
William searched for half of the morning, or at least that is how it felt to him, in reality he had been searching for the last two hours. It turned out the person he wanted to find was harder than he thought it would be. He hoped he would find her soon, before Elizabeth came be back. William knew Elizabeth should have been back an hour ago, and he just prayed to the gods, thank you, for whatever reason she had been delayed today. If Elizabeth came back soon he would be unable to complete what he wanted to do.

As he walked back to his study where he planned on contemplating his next step after being unable to find the person he wanted, William caught sight of her. Walking quickly up to her, he cornered her so that she couldn’t escape, not that he thought she would.

The person in question jumped when William approached her from behind.

“Oh! Master William, you scared me.” Clutching her chest, where her heart was beating at a fast pace, she looked at him.

“Miss Chase, I need your help with a little problem.”

With that the two of them walked into William’s study.

TBC….