Author's Chapter Notes:
Its the ball!!! I know I have had a big build up.. sorry! I hope you all like it! Please review it will get me writting faster. Thank you to my beta for these! She has the rest at the moment, so you may have to wait as she is very busy at the moment. I hope you like!!!!!!!!!!!
Chapter 25: Masquerade

Elizabeth stared in awe as she entered the gilded hall. There were women in fabulous dresses mulling around everywhere. Men seemed to be courting the ladies left, right and centre. A small orchestra were playing in the far corner, and in the centre of the room couples danced.

The whole scene before her seemed magical. Taking her arm, William led her further into the room.

“So, William, who’s ball are we at? I guess these are things I should know. Don’t want to look like I don’t belong do I?”

“Suppose not. Well love, the ball is hosted by Lord Winters and his wife. I think his wife has more say in it than he does. They host it every year. His wife loves a good masquerade, purely so she can go whore herself to the rest of the aristocratic types and no one will know the difference. But ours isn’t to question why. So, pet, are you ready for this?”

Nodding, she clung to his arm slightly tighter.

Watching as the Mayor started to approach them, he felt her tense next to him. Leaning over, William whispered in her ear before the mayor saw. “Relax, no one is going to recognise you, it’s a masquerade remember. Relax and try to have a good time.”

Feeling her relax slightly, William looked with unconcealed disgust at the man approaching them.

“Well then William, who’s this pretty little lady?”

“This is Elizabeth.”

Holding out his hand he shook Elizabeth’s. “Nice to meet you Elizabeth, tell me have we met before? You look awfully familiar.”

Knowing that the question would make Elizabeth panic, Spike stepped in to shield her from the mayor’s view.

“I highly doubt it, mate. Elizabeth is from America.”

“Oh gosh, I am sorry. Guess I was mistaken.” Leaning over he looked at Elizabeth from behind William’s back. “Would you like to dance, Miss Elizabeth?”

“No, thank you. I came with William, if I am going to dance with any one it will be with him.”

“Boy, she’s fiery isn’t she? You shouldn’t let her get too out of hand, you never know what might happen.”

“Richard, I suggest you push off.”

With a disgruntled huff, Mayor Wilkins turned his back on them and made his way back through the crowd to where Mr Winters stood.

As soon as he was out of earshot, Elizabeth turned to look at William with a desperate pleading looking on her face.

“William we should go, please. This was a bad idea, someone is bound to recognise us, and it will go bad for us both, you know it as much as I do. Please, William, can we just go.”

“Elizabeth,” taking her hand, he led her to the edge of the dance floor where seats were set up. Sitting her down, he knelt in front of her, making himself on eye level with her. “Look, Elizabeth, don’t let one little tosser get you all worked up. He is just a silly wanker who doesn’t deserve a second thought. Don’t let him spoil our night. We came to enjoy ourselves and that is what we are going to do. I promise no one is going to recognise you. Do you trust me, love?” At her weak nod, William leaned up and kissed her on her forehead. “Now then my lady, would you care to dance?”

Elizabeth looked at him shocked, “You dance?”

“Hey! I’m not totally useless. You telling me you can’t?”

“Of course I can dance.”

“Care to show me.”

“Ready for me to show you up with how good I am?”

Standing up, William held out his hand for Elizabeth, wearing his trademark smirk as he did. Together they walked out onto the dance floor. Their skin tingling and electric pulses darteing between them every time that they touched.

By the end of the dance, both were out of breath, however it wasn’t from the dancing.

Walking over to the punch table, William poured them both a large glass.

“Well then, Miss Elizabeth, having fun so far?”

“Yeah! Sorry… Yes, Mr Hartley, I am thank you.” William and Elizabeth burst out giggling as Elizabeth put on the best fake English accent she could manage.

As they remained at the table talking and laughing with each other, much like they did when at their picnics, they blocked out everyone else in the room. Suddenly William realised the whole room had gone silent. In the centre of the dance floor, a young man was stood. He wore the houses servant uniforms. When the entire room was silent he made himself heard.

“Dinner, is served.”

It was suddenly like mass migration. Everyone in the room started to leave and head towards the formal dinning room.

“I guess that means us too, are you ready, pet?”

Placing her half empty glass down next to the punch bowl, she took his arm and allowed him to lead her.

When they entered the dining room, Elizabeth’s voice once more caught in her throat. The room was the same size as the room they had just been it, but looked twice the size as large mirrors lined the walls. Looking up at the high ceilings, Elizabeth saw the shimmering chandelier. In the room, were set out numerous circular tables.

“Mrs. Winters’ cook goes all out each year. Creates the most amazing feasts. It really is a marvel.”

Taking their seats at table furthest away from everyone, they sat and waited for the rest of the tables to fill.

Once everyone had come through from the main hall and found a seat, William’s and Elizabeth’s table being the least occupied with only themselves and one other couple sharing it with them, the food was served.

William was right, the food was superb. Although due to the tight restraints from her corset she found that she could eat very little, and was left to just stare at the food in front of her and attempt little bites.

When they had finished eating, the men went to go into the smoking room, while the ladies gathered around the piano. However not knowing anyone, Elizabeth felt awkward going to spend time with these women. Faking a headache brought on by the champagne, she went and took an evening stroll in the gardens.

As she came down the stairs and into the garden, she wasn’t looking where she was going, she was glancing up at the stars. Suddenly someone jumped out from behind the bushes and placed his hands over her mask-covered eyes causing Elizabeth to squeal.

William quickly put a hand over her mouth to stop her squealing, he didn’t want other party members coming to find out what the noise was.

“Shh love, its me.”

“William, What are you doing?” As she turned to face him, she hit him in the chest with her fan.

“Saw you come out here and thought you might want some company.”

“Oh you did, did you? Well thank you, kind sir, that would be very nice.”

Hand in hand, together they walked around the gardens talking. Stopping by the fountain, they sat on the side of it and looked into each other’s eyes.

“Thank you for tonight, William, I am having a wonderful time.” Leaning over she placed a gentle kiss on Williams’s lips.

William deepened the kiss in response. Wrapping her arms around his neck, Elizabeth brought herself closer to him. She smiled against his lips. He smelt and tasted heavenly. Tonight really was the most magical night she could have hoped for. She felt wonderful and had a wonderful man to share it with.

“I love you, Elizabeth Summers.”

Elizabeth smiled up at him, “I know.” Placing another gentle kiss on his lips, she didn’t have time to mask the yawn as she pulled away.

“Tired?”

“A little. Sorry, tough day at work, I have this boss and he is a real tyrant, makes me work really hard, but I suppose he has his good points to, like taking me out tonight.”

“I think I should give this boss a good seeing to for being a tyrant to you.” Smiling, he stood up and placed a simple kiss on her hand. “You wait here, pet, I’ll just go and tell the hostess that we are off.”

“Don’t be long.”

“I won’t.” With one last look, he walked back into the crowded hall.

Elizabeth stared up at the stars. She knew things would be difficult and not the most ideal of situations, but her and William could make a go of this. She was going to try.

A few moments later, William appeared back by her side. “Right, pet, all set. Are you ready to go? Osborne is waiting outside.”

Talking her hand, he helped her stand. Together they walked back to the waiting carriage, safe in the knowledge that they were safe and no one had recognised them. Or so they thought.

***
Harmony Kendell watched from behind the bush as she heard William confess his love to the girl he had brought with him.

“I love you Elizabeth Summers”

The name rang a bell. Suddenly Harmony remembered where she had heard that name. She was the Hartley’s servant. William Hartley was in love with a servant.

As she watched the two love birds walk off together, Harmony vowed that William would regret the day he had chosen a servant over her. Walking back to the hall once they had gone, she started to plot her best revenge… to take away the thing William cherished the most.

TBC….

Please review... It only takes a second!