Author's Chapter Notes:
Hey guys... I am sorry that there has been so long between updates, I have had a lot going on at the moment, as I am sure some of you know. As for this chapter, i know you may all hate me afterwards, but bare with me, I promise all will be good in the end!!! Just bare with me. I will try to update again soon as soon as possible.
Chapter 26: dismissal

Buffy and Spike had arrived back at the manor at about 11 o’ clock. They gave each other a goodnight kiss that would leave impressions on each other’s mind for a long time to come. They both then disappeared silently back to their own rooms.

Buffy made sure that no one saw her as she was still dressed in the beautiful gown that Spike had given her. As she struggled to get it off single-handedly she thought about the wonderful night that she had had. Spike had put so much effort into making it perfect for her, and he had. He had done everything for her, thinking this would have been the first ball she had ever attended, if only he knew the truth.

As she carefully hid the dress under her bed, she made a mental note to remember to ask William if he would like the dress back, they still hadn’t discussed it.

Putting on her nightdress she climbed into her bed. The sheets where cold against her bare skin. Pulling them up to her chin, Buffy snuggled down into the bed. Her head had barely touched the pillow when she fell into a peaceful dream filled sleep.

***
Waking up the following morning Buffy could barely contain the smile on her face. She had spent the night dreaming of William. Climbing out of bed, she went and washed her face. Standing up straight she then went and picked up her uniform, she was about to put it on when she changed her mind. Putting down the undergarments she reached under the bed and pulled out the petticoats that matched the dress. Without putting the hoops on no one but her would know she was wearing them, the thought gave her a slight thrill.

Once she was dressed in the exquisite undergarments she slipped on her black dress. Glancing at herself in the mirror her cheeks where slightly flushed from the reminder of the previous night. Tying her hair back, she went downstairs to the kitchen before anyone would realise she was late.

***
When she reached the kitchen there was a lot of chatter going on. Spotting Willow over in the corner she went and pulled her to one side.

“Will, What’s going on?”

Willow looked at Elizabeth with concern “Umm, I’m not really sure. Umm, something about Harmony has just turned up.”

“Will, it six in the morning, what’s she doing here?”

“Well she made Amy, umm go wake Master Liam up. Told her she had something really important to, umm, well tell him.”

“What could possibly be so important that she has to come this early.” Realisation dawned on Elizabeth face; Willow was keeping something from her. “Will, what are you not telling me?”

“It’s probably nothing…”

“But…”

“Well, umm, she said it had something to do with Master William. But she didn’t say anything else. Everyone thinks she is here to, umm, propose marriage. I am so sorry Elizabeth. But, It’s a good match for the family, and they will probably go through with it.”

It felt like the air had suddenly left the room, everything around her went quiet. She didn’t even notice Willow slip away from her. How could William marry someone he didn’t love, did that mean that really she meant nothing to him? How could this be happening after last night?

Looking around her she noticed no one had seen her slip inside herself. Quietly she went and sat down at the table and waited until breakfast was served. However, her mind was no longer in the room, it was thinking back to everything that had happened between her and William. Had everything he had said and done been a lie?

As the noise of the room slowly dulled Elizabeth looked up to see everyone sat at the table about to eat. Taking her spoon, she too dug into the porridge in front of her.

When they had all eaten and everything had been cleared away, Maggie turned to look at everyone.

“Regardless of what is going on in the main seating room, there is still a house hold to run and jobs to be done. Now Miss Summers and Miss Rosenberg are back we can get some work done.”

She then gave everyone several jobs to do, before turning herself to tackle the breakfast that would have to be made for the masters of the house.

Silently everyone departed the kitchen.

Elizabeth went about her jobs being careful not to think about things she knew she shouldn’t be dwelling on. If William chose to marry Harmony that was his choice, she couldn’t change that.

***
At about 10 o’clock just as Elizabeth got back to the kitchen, Maggie turned to look at her. “Miss Summers you are required in the main seating room.”

Elizabeth looked at Maggie with a puzzled expression on her face, she dimly remembered Maggie saying that the talks were going on in there, what would they need her for?

Quietly she turned from the kitchen and headed to where she was needed.

As she entered the room, Lady Darla was stood right in front of her, Harmony was sat perched on the window seat, and Master Liam was stood just behind his wife. William was nowhere to be seen.

As she stepped forward bowing slightly, Darla slapped her right across the face. As she had been looking down at the time she hadn’t seen it coming and the blow sent her reeling.

“You little whore. What makes you think William would want you?” She spoke the ‘you’ as though Elizabeth was something disgusting that she had trodden in.

Elizabeth looked up wide-eyed at Darla, clutching her check in her hand; it burned red under her fingers. It was Master Liam who spoke first; he spoke with the calm malice that Elizabeth had come to associate with him.

“Now Miss Kendal here has come this morning telling me some very interesting information. Apparently my little William has been trying to seduce you. I bet you spread your legs for him just like some common harlot, didn’t you?”

Elizabeth didn’t know what to do, should she plead ignorance as to what they were talking about, or admit the affair. “It wasn’t like that Sir.”

“Oh so you admit do you?” Elizabeth looked at Darla’s cold, calculated looks; they sent shivers right down her spine. “Answer me.”

“Madam, William did nothing wrong.” Elizabeth heard Harmony snort as she said that, but refused to look at her.

“Did nothing wrong? He took a servant to a ball, his reputation will be in tatters.”

Suddenly it all became crystal clear just how Harmony had found out about them, she must have seen them at the ball. She knew someone would have recognised her.

“I’m sorry.”

This time it was Darla who laughed, “Sorry? Do you know what you have done?”

Elizabeth held her head down in shame; she had spoiled everything, just like always. She felt Liam walking up to her, but still didn’t look up.

Suddenly she felt his hand on her leg, lifting her dress. She tried to fight his hands off, but it was too late, everyone in the room had already seen the elegant undergarments.

Darla looked at her with disgust. “Leave, you are dismissed. I never want to see you near my home again. Don’t ever think of going near William again. I know things about you that I know you don’t want him to know.”

Without looking back Elizabeth left he room. As soon as she had shut the door behind her, she let the tears fall. Walking toward her room to pack up her things ready to leave she bumped into William. He looked down into her teary face.

“Elizabeth, love, what’s wrong? What’s happened?”

“I’m sorry William. Goodbye.” Placing a chaste kiss on his lips she pushed past him and ran straight to her room. William would be better off without her.

William watched as the girl he loved fled from him, what had happened this morning, what had made her so upset? As he saw Darla and Harmony coming out of the room in front of him, the room Elizabeth must have just left, he knew the answers would be in there.

Walking in he saw Liam stood by the window. “What did you do to her?”

Hearing Williams enraged voice Liam turned round. “I guess you saw your lover then. Not going to give her a lasting goodbye? It’s the last you will ever see of her.”

William saw red over his callous words. Walking over to him he punched Liam right in the face. “I said, what the hell did you do?”

He punched William back “We know my boy, we all know. At least when I fuck the little whore, I don’t spread the news to the world.”

William raised his knee up into Liam’s stomach, winding him and making him fold over. “Don’t you dare call Elizabeth that, she is more than you will ever be.”

Liam stood up, and gave an evil laugh. “She has really twisted you round her finger hasn’t she? Did she make you think you are in love? It must kill you to know that I got there first.” Liam rained blow after blow down on William. “The ball must have been your idea, she’s too stupid to think of that.”

Grabbing hold of the wrist that was coming towards his face, William gained the advantage, “I said, hold, your, tongue.” Liam was left in a heap on the floor.

Giving him one last kick to the stomach William turned and started to walk away from him. As he heard Liam’s voice call out to him he didn’t turn back.

“It won’t change anything Willy boy, everyone knows now, she won’t ever come back to you, not now. I hope you had fun with her while you could, I know she could have done with the practise, I am sure you showed her that. Maybe I’ll have another go now.”

As William left the room, Liam laughed, coughing up small amounts of blood, he lay on the floor and looked up at the ceiling. William really was a fool for love.

***
After finding her room bare William walked bloody and bruised back to his own room. As he opened the door, he saw something on his bed.

Walking over to it, he saw that it was the dress he had given to Elizabeth. On top of the dress was a simple note from her. Picking it up, he read it before slumping to the floor.

“Dear William,
Thank you for everything. I wish I could have been everything you wanted and needed, but I couldn’t. Here is your beautiful gift back. I am sorry William.
Yours, Elizabeth."


A slow mournful tune filled the house as Darla played the piano in the grand hallway; William read the note again and again. She was really gone, but would he ever see her again?

TBC…….

Please just stick with me... oh and a review would be nice!!!