Author's Chapter Notes:
Two updates in one week... the world may collapse!!! Thank you to Louise for beta-ing these for me!!!! Please leave me a review and I will get another chapter out to you soon. Once again, trust me.
Chapter 27: Prospects

It was several weeks after Buffy had been dismissed and William hadn’t heard anything from her. He had tried to go round to her home several times but had been stop by her over protective brother each time. Alex had made it quite clear that Elizabeth didn’t want to see him.

He kept talking to Willow in hopes that she had was talking to Elizabeth but she wouldn’t say anything either.

Ever since that day, the house had taken on a sombre edge. William knew it was less to do with Elizabeth’s departure and more to do with the fact that he had beaten his father. The whole household seemed in a state of total shock. Since that day William hadn’t talked to either Liam or Darla.

Harmony kept trying to take William’s mind of Elizabeth, but he would have nothing to do with the traitorous bitch. He knew it had been her that had told Peaches and Darla of their affair.

Day after day, Harmony came round to comfort him, but the only comfort William found was in the bottle of bourbon that was brought to him each day.

The household watched as he started to become unrecognisable from the man that he had been when Elizabeth was around. He spent most of his days drunk and would lose his temper at a moments notice. It appeared nothing could calm him.

As he sat at his window staring at the grounds as the fog started to settle, he imagined Elizabeth walking back to him. So taken up on his fantasy he didn’t hear the door open.

Feeling a hand on his thigh he opened his eyes, hoping his fantasy was reality. But like every other time it was just a dream. Sat on the seat in front of him was Harmony.

“Oh Willy, I thought you where asleep.”

“What do you want?” Spikes voice was croaky and rough from the alcohol he had already drunk today.

“I came to see you.”

“Why won’t you sodding just leave.” Pushing her off the chair, she fell onto her bottom on the floor, with a bump. Standing up he stalked to his desk.

“Blondie bear, why are you doing this to yourself? She didn’t deserve you. It’s for the best.”

“Shut up you bint you have no idea what you are talking about. Elizabeth is 100 times the person you ever are.”

Harmony felt tears spring to her eyes, “I had to do it, William. She was killing you. I couldn’t let her do that. I had to tell everyone what you where doing.”

Spike clenched his teeth, spinning round he smashed the bottle he was holding to the floor. “Get out, leave me alone.”

Slowly Harmony stood up and walked to the door, she didn’t know how to deal with his anger. As she opened the door, she turned to look at him. “I’m sorry William.”

The words reminded him of the last thing Elizabeth had ever said to him and sent him even further into a rage. Picking up a glass he threw it at the door that Harmony had just left through. Grabbing the bottle of scotch off his desk, he gulped the content down.

He couldn’t go on like this something would have to change.

***
Buffy stared out the window. She wondered what William was doing now, did he even miss her, and did he miss her half as much as she missed him? Turning away from the window she forced the thoughts of Spike back down to where they belonged.

Walking over to the kitchen she picked up a spoon and went and helped her mom make the stew for the evening.

When she had come home with her face a mess from tears, her mother had taken her back in without any question, which Buffy was truly thankful for. Dawn however had not had the same consideration, asking her lots of questions about why she didn’t have a job any more and why had she come home, questions Elizabeth wasn’t ready to answer.

She had suspicions that Spike had tried to come and see her, particularly in the first few days since her absence, but she had left Alex to handle it.

Now she was home she was helping every way she could. The house was a tight squeeze with everyone now living there and she knew feeding an extra person must be hard for her mother as they only had one wage coming in at the moment but she never once heard her mother complain.

As she stirred the stew, Dawn came in from outside and sat at the kitchen table.

“Whatcha making?”

“Food”

“Clever. I can see that. I meant what food?”

“Stew” Buffy never turned away from the pan she was stood at, keeping her back at her sister.

“God, you know what? You where more fun when you had a job and I never saw you. What happened to you?”

“More than you can imagine.”

Huffing, Dawn left the table and went to go and annoy Giles who was sat in his usual chair, reading.

Anne started crying, knowing that Anya had gone for a lie down, Buffy walked over to her niece and picked her up.

“Now then little one, what’s all this kafuffle about?” The young child just carried on crying. “You sound like you are having a tough a time as I am.” Knowing she was going to wake Anya, Buffy decided that she’d take her for a walk.

“Dawnie, I am taking Anne for a little walk, do you want to come with?”

“Sure.” Hopping up she grabbed her shawl and followed Buffy out the door.

***
They where gone longer than they thought they would be and when they returned they knew Alex would already be home. As they opened the door the sombre mood of the house hit them. Stood in the centre of the room was a short little man, with a bolding head and large ears.

Alex stood in the far corner and looked about ready to hit the man, Giles would stood facing the ugly little man talking to him and Joyce seemed about ready to cry.

Buffy had a feeling she knew who this man was and didn’t want Dawn around him. “Dawnie you go upstairs honey.”

Dawn went without question; she could see when she shouldn’t be around.

As Dawn passed him, the short man turned to look at Buffy. “You? You live here too?”

“Yes, I’m Joyce’s daughter.”

“I’m Mr. Snyder. Your landlord.” He said with such a sneer as though it was the most important job in the world, when really he was a worthless little man.

Snyder then turned back to Joyce ignoring Giles “Well Mrs Summers, You have enough people living here to make the rent twice over, maybe I should raise it. I expect it paid by next week, no more excuses. Or we may have to find another way for you to pay off your rent.” He gave Joyce a leer that left no doubt as to his meaning.

Suddenly he found Giles up very close and very menacing. “You’ll get your money you little twerp, but if you so much as lay a finger on Joyce, lets just say things will go badly.” Throwing his hat at him, Giles then showed him where the door was.

When the door had closed Buffy turned to look at her mother. “Mom what was all that about?”

“Oh nothing darling, come on let’s eat.” Turning away from her Joyce started to lay the table.

“No! Mom, tell me.” Hearing the forceful tone in her daughter’s voice she turned to look at her. Heaving a sigh she decided she aught to tell her.

“We are just having a bit of trouble paying the rent this month, dear. Alex’s wage went on luxuries such as food. But its ok darling, we will sort something out, we always do.”

Buffy was shocked, she thought that they where surviving, clearly she was wrong. “This is all my fault.”

“What? Oh no dear, none of this is your fault.” Joyce went over to give Buffy a hug.

“Yes it is? I got the sack. You needed that money and I let you down just like I let everyone down. Now I am back here, eating the money.”

“Honey, none of this is your fault. We will sort something out I promise.”

Dawn came running down the stairs, clearly having listened to the whole conversation. “Mom I could get a job, help pay for the rent and things. I could go into service. Work in one of the big manors. I could do that.”

It was Elizabeth who spoke up. “No. Dawnie I won’t let you.”

“Why not? Its good enough for you, but not me, is that it?”

“Dawn you are fourteen years old, I won’t let you get a job yet.”

“Well what else are we going to do then, you can’t go back into a manor after everyone knows you were fired from one, Giles is too old to work, and Anya has Anne. How else are we going to make money?”

“I’ll find a different job Dawn. Not all jobs involve servants. I’m sure I am good at something else as well. Alex? The mines are always hiring aren’t they?”

“Well umm Buff it’s not very safe.”

“Its money isn’t it? Look we will be fine. I promise.”

Forcing a smile she hugged her sister, together they went and sat down at the table, with the prospect of Buffy getting a potentially deadly job hanging over all their heads.

TBC…

A/N: Please please please leave me a review.