Author's Chapter Notes:
The next few jobs are all slightly un-spuffy, but stick with me, I'm a spuffy girl at heart. I will try and get these chapters all out over the next week, so that the nonspuffy part is done with, So please don't hate me!!! And please please please leave me a review
Chapter 28: New prospects.

As Alex left the house early the following morning, Buffy picked up her shawl and followed him out of the cottage.

As they walked towards the mines together, Buffy took the opportunity to quiz Alex about what the job would entail and what she should say.

“So, big brother, what do I need to know?”

“I’m still not happy about you doing this, Buffy. Surely there must be other jobs, other manors you can work in. Something, Buffy.”

Buffy heaved a deep sigh. “Alex, I can’t work as a servant again. Liam will have made sure of that, but I have to work. This is the only way. You understand don’t you? I have to do this.”

“Yeah, I understand.” Sighing he turned to look at his sister. “Ok. So listen carefully and I will tell you all you will ever need to know. When we get there, you need to find a guy called Ethan Rayne. He doesn’t dress as well as he could, but nowhere near as poor as us. Anyway you need to look for him, he’s the mine boss. He can be a bit malicious, but he’s ok. Unless it’s brought up, don’t mention you have never done mine work, he wants people with experience, ok? You getting all this?”

Buffy nodded her head eagerly.

“Right let’s carry on walking then.” As they set off walking again, Alex carried on telling her everything that she would need to know. “If he does ask, don’t lie. He has a way of knowing when you are lying. If he asks, just tell him that while you have never done this kind of work before, you are a fast learner and very dedicated. Make sure that you point out that you can start straight away, that’s what he’s looking for. Apart from that just be your normal charming self. You’ll do good Buff.” Ruffling her hair in an affectionate way, he smiled at her.

After several moments of silence Buffy spoke up. “Alex? Do you think I can do this?” Her voice was small and her insecurities shone through.

Alex stopped once more to look at her, causing Buffy to stop as well. “You mean the interview or the actual job? Because personally, I think you will breeze the interview.”

“And what about the job?”

Concern was etched on Alex’s face as he spoke. “I’m not gonna lie to you Buff, the job is hard and scary and dangerous. But in the same respect you are a very strong young woman, and I know that you can do whatever you set your mind to. I have faith in you Buffy.”

Smiling she gave her brother a hug.

“Now come on you, we should get there before I lose my job too.”

Without a word they both carried on towards the mines.

***
As the sight of the mines loomed over the hill, Buffy and Alex went their separate ways. Hugging each other as a form of luck, Buffy set off in search of Ethan.

Buffy heart was thumping in her chest as she entered the mines courtyard. The place was crowded, people where milling about everywhere. Horses seemed to being led from all directions pulling carts laden down with coal. From several entrances to the pits, men and women where emerging, their features hardly recognisable from the black soot that covered them.

Standing on tiptoes Buffy tried to see above the heads of all the people, hoping she would catch a glimpse of. Stepping back so that she could try and get a better look, she didn’t see the person behind her.

Feeling something soft beneath her foot and hearing someone make a pain noise behind her, Buffy spun round.

Stood in front of her was a well-dressed gentleman with sandy blond hair. He was tall and well built.

“Oh god, I am so sorry. I didn’t see you standing there.” Buffy tried sheepishly to apologise to the man.

“Its okay. That was bracing. It’s not even nine o’clock and I have already been trodden on.” The man spoke with a smile, which made Buffy smile as well. “Look at me, I have forgotten my manners in all of this pandemonium… I’m Mr Finn.”

Tucking a piece of hair behind her ear, Buffy looked at him. “I’m Eli…Miss Summers” Realising she was about to say Elizabeth she quickly amended it, she didn’t want people, namely Mr Finn connecting her with what went on at the Hartley Manor.

“Its nice to meet you Miss Summers. Can I help you, you seemed lost.”

“Oh. I was looking for Mr Rayne. But I can’t see over all the people.”

“Here I’ll take you to his office.” Buffy headed the way that he was pointing. Slowing down so that he could join her side. “Unfortunately Miss Summers, I am going to have to leave you. But that’s Ethan’s office just there.”

“Thank you.” Turning she headed to the office and knocked gentle on the door. As she stood she watched the man disappear back into the crowd.

The way he walked and his clothes reminded her so much of her William. Heaving a sigh as the office door opened, Buffy turned to the man stood in front of her with a smile.

“Hello Mr Rayne?” The man stood in front of her was slender and had slicked back black hair.

“Hello, miss…?” Buffy noted that he spoke with an English accent. Again it just served to remind her of William, everything today seemed to be a stark reminder. Ethan’s accent seemed different from Williams though. She assumed that he was from a different area of England then he was.

“Summers.”

“How may I help you Miss Summers?”

“I’m here about a job.”

“Ah, magnificent, do you want to come into my office?” Stepping aside he let Buffy move past him. Once she was in the office he closed the door behind him.

***
“Well Miss Summers, You certainly make a interesting plea. I truly am sorry. But I can’t just give you a job.”

“I understand.” Buffy tried to muster a smile. Picking up her shawl, she stood up, facing Ethan. “Thank you for your time.”

Walking past him she walked out the office and straight in to Mr Finn who was stood by the day.

“Sorry.” Walking past him without really looking at him, Buffy carried on walking, tears stung her eyes.

Riley stood on the step staring at the young girl he had met earlier. Turning to Ethan he looked at the man who he held with no regard. “Who is that girl?”

“Ah Miss Summers. Her brother works for us. She thought she could just come and get work. Well, old man, are you coming inside, we can talk business.”

Riley stared through slit eyes at the weasel in front of him, he hated when he called him ‘Old man’. “Mr Rayne. If you wish for me to keep sponsoring your business then I suggest you go after Miss Summers and offer her the job. Otherwise I may be inclined to take my money elsewhere.”

Taking the hint, Ethan picked his jacket off the back of the door and ran after Buffy.

Catching up to her he caught her by the arm. “Miss Summers, so glad I caught you. It appears there has been a change of circumstances. When can you start?”

Buffy started at him, unsure of what he was saying. “Are you offering me a job?”

“Yes. When can you start?”

“Now!” Buffy was in awe.

“Good. Go and find a girl called Faith Lehane. She has dark hair and a loud mouth. She’ll get you started.”

“Thank you, sir.”

Turning away from her, Ethan walked back to his office, he could see that the little blond girl had had an effect on his sponsor. Now all he had to do was find a way to manipulate that to his best advantage.

As he walked away, Buffy caught sight of Alex. Deciding her best chance at find Faith was to ask him, she sauntered over.

“Hey Alex.”

“Well Buff, did you get the job?”

A smile broke over Buffy’s face. “You are now looking at an official pit worker. Can you help me though? I have to find a girl called Faith.”

“Over there.” Alex pointed to a girl stood over by the loading bay, she seemed to be have numerous men all surrounding her, and Buffy could tell she was slyly pushing her skirt up as she talk, letting the men glance at her slender legs.

“Thanks Alex.” Leaving him Buffy started walking over to her.

“Buffy?” Turning back to Alex she looked at her brother. “Did Ethan say why you got the job?”

“No.” A confused look crossed over her face. As she turned and started walking back towards the girl Buffy could help wondering, what had happened in the few moments after she left Ethan’s office that could make things change so much that she would get a job she didn’t have moments before. Thoughts plagued her mind. Was he playing with her the way Liam had? Did he want something else from her?

Deciding to banish the thoughts, she carried on her course towards Faith. Today was certainly going to be a day of new experiences.

TBC…

Please review!!! No one shoot me please.. just have faith.