Author's Chapter Notes:
Told you I woul post these in quick sucssion to try and get them over with. I'll be posting again on Friday. Please leave me lots of reviews by then. It would put lots of smiles of my face that seem sadly lacking at the moment. Thank you!
Chapter 29: Proposals.

Stepping into the crowd of people, Buffy walked over to the girl.

“Umm, Faith?”

The dark haired girl looked up at her. “Depends who’s asking.” As she turned to look at Buffy, the boys surrounding her suddenly lost interest now they where no longer commanding her attention. Slowly they started to depart and get back to work.

“Hi, I’m Buffy. Ethan sent me over. I’m new here. He said you could show me round.”

“Fair enough. Follow me B.” Walking off she left Buffy to follow.

After showing her around the mine, Buffy got straight into work.

The mines were a lot worse than she had ever imagined. They were dark and cramped, and Buffy found it hard to breathe. As the day went by Buffy started to get used to the harsh conditions and the pace at which she worked sped up as well.

Ethan soon found that he had made a good discovery with Miss Summers. He was soon to find that she would be even better than he had first imagined.

***
Within a few months, Buffy had gotten into a routine. She had become better at her job and was seen as a useful employee.

Joyce still worried about her as she went to work everyday. She knew that the mines weren’t safe, they weren’t built securely. Every time her children went off to work, Joyce worried that this may be the day they had a cave in. This may be the last time she ever saw them.

Every night when they came home safe, Joyce breathed a sigh of relief.

As for Buffy, in Faith, she had found a sort of friend. Although the girl was loud and brash, Buffy could see she would be willing to help if it was needed. The two girls worked next to each other day after day.

After only a week of knowing her, Buffy had found out about Faith’s evening activities.

“So B. Why you doing this job? Good girl like you, tons of jobs you could be doing. Sure as hell a lot safer jobs.”

“We need the money. I’m not good with other jobs.”

“Fair enough. You know there are ways of earning extra money on the side. Enough to see you and your family comfortably through.”

“Yeah?”

“Real easy job. All you have to do is lie on your back. The men come flocking.”

“Faith, are you a…” Buffy looked suitably shocked.

“Hell B, its good money. And one of the few things I am actually good at. You should give it go. The guys would really go for a blushing virgin like you.”

“Faith! No! I will definitely ... probably not be doing that.”


Buffy knew she would never do what Faith did, however the thought of the money was tempting. Although her family was now surviving, but they where no way close to being well off. Nothing was like how it used to be.

As the days went on Buffy found herself pining for William less and less. Though her heart still ached whenever she thought of him and how they had parted, she started to deal with her emotions.

Her heart still belonged to him, and she was sure it always would, how could she ever love another? While her heart ached for him though, her head told her she could never really be with him; they didn’t live in a fairy tale. So Buffy got on with her life, one day at a time.

The more she worked at the mine, the more Buffy came into acquaintance with Mr Finn. Every time that she was there, he seemed to be around as well. He would often come over to talk to her. Since their first meeting Buffy had learnt from Faith that he was very high up, with connections with the mine. He was the sponsor or something along those lines. Everyone seemed to tread very carefully around him. Buffy cared very little for him, but she tolerated him for the sake of her job, she knew she couldn’t afford to lose another; it would put her family in too hard a financial situation. So when he spoke to her she spoke pleasantly back.

It was on a Wednesday afternoon after she had finished work that he came up to her.

“Miss Summers. I have been looking for you.”

“Hello Mr Finn.”

“Call me Riley, I have told you before.” He handed her a wet towel to wash her hands and face with.

“Sorry.” Taking the towel she washed her face until she was less covered in soot and her features could be seen again. “Did you want something Riley?”

“I need to ask you something very important. But here isn’t the place. May I come around to your home tonight, Miss Summers?”

Slightly taken aback by his formal attitude, Buffy agreed. “Sure Sir. Do you know where I live?”
“Revello Lane, isn’t it?” Unsure how he knew where she lived Buffy just nodded, slightly dazed. “Well then Miss Summers I will be there for 7 o’clock. Goodbye for now.” Bending down he took her soot-covered hand in his and placed a gentle kiss on the back of it. The simple kiss sent her reeling, reminding her of the exact same thing William had done.

By the time that she had snapped out of her daze, Riley was at the other side of the yard and mounting his horse. Shaking her head, she turned for where he was and set off walking back home.

As she reached the village, she slowed her pace down. Buffy enjoyed strolling slowly through and taking in what everyone was doing. People just going about their everyday lives.

Today however Buffy was in for a shock.

As she walked past the bakers, she saw Mr. Lillian talking with Mrs. Kroger the town’s local gossip. Slowing down so she could over hear what they where saying, she walked very slowly behind them.

“Have you heard? Miss Emerson is back.”

At the mention of Drusilla’s name, Buffy’s ears picked up. Speeding up just slightly she walked a little closer to the pair so she could hear what they where talking about more clearly.

“What does that little witch want?” Mrs Kroger spoke the name with disgust.

“Apparently she is set to be married.”

“Which unfortunate soul is marring that harlot?”

“I remember Miss Grove saying that his first name began with a W.”

“William.” Buffy felt the air rush out of her as she whispered the name.

The pair in front of her didn’t hear her, and Mr Lillian carried on talking. “Apparently he is still madly in love with her, despite everything she did. Proposed to her as soon as she came back here.”

“Oh well, more fool him.” The pair then moved onto other talk of the day, and Miss Emerson’s soon-to-be marriage was promptly forgotten.

Buffy felt as though she couldn’t breath as she stood stock-still. Could it really be true? Could William really be marrying her? Guess he really was over her. As tears stung her eyes Buffy pushed past the pair and practically ran home.

Pushing the door of the cottage open she ran straight into Dawn.

“Careful Buffy!” As she looked at her sister she saw her tear stained face. “What’s wrong?”

Buffy saw the concern on her sister’s face. “Spike’s getting married Dawnie.”

Dawn’s face dropped. She had secretly hoped that her sister and Spike would reconcile their differences. She liked the guy after all. Now it seemed as though all hope of that was lost. How could he do this to her? She was sure that he had loved her. “Oh God. Buffy I am so sorry.”

“Its ok, Dawnie. I guess we weren’t meant to be. Look, I am going to go and have a bath and get clean. Will you tell mom?”

Smiling at her sister’s bravery, Dawn smiled. “Sure.”

***
Heating the water and pouring it into the tin bath, Buffy climbed in, and in the water she finally let her tears fall fully. Sobs wracked her body, as the pain of what she heard overcame her. Her heart felt broken and unable to mend. William was never going to be hers again.

She finally let her hopes and dreams fly away.

As her tears subsided, Buffy climbed out the water and dressed in the simplest dress she could find and went and joined her family. They noted that she was very meek and quiet that night, but not one of them said anything. It was not their place to say.

At exactly 7 o’clock there was a light tap at the door. Completely forgetting the visit that she had agreed to earlier, Buffy looked at the door, puzzled. Standing up from the chair she was sat reading at, she went and answered it.

On the other side door stood a smartly dressed Riley. As he stood looking at her, Buffy remembered their conversation earlier.

“Hey Riley. Umm do you want to come in?”

“Thank you.” Stepping aside to let him in, Buffy held the door open.

Looking round the room, Riley saw that her entire family seemed to be spread about the room.

“Is there somewhere quiet we could go? I would like to talk to you in private.”

“Umm, yeah.” Looking round Buffy saw that the only quiet place would be to stand in the kitchen area. “Is over there ok?”

Riley saw where she was pointing and nodded. As they walked into the kitchen he turned to face her.

“I like you Miss Summers. I am sure you are aware of my feelings for you, and I hope that you share in my feelings.” Stepping back from her he went down onto one knee, and took her hand in his. “Miss Summers, would you do me the honour of becoming my wife?”

Taken aback by his request, she stared into his deep eyes. Tearing her eyes away she looked around at her family, and how they were going about their lives. Watching them, Buffy made her choice.

TBC…

Now please leave me a pretty review, it will only take a few moments!!