A/N: Thank you to everyone who review it means a lot to me... please keep reviewing! I Will try and keep my updates regular... I will try and update on a wednesday and a sunday. Hope you all enjoy this chapter!

Chapter 3: Mealtime

Willow had been right, the evening had been very boring for Elizabeth alone in her little box room. First she had unpacked her bag, and then she had cleaned Willow’s dress in the little sink. It had been difficult but not impossible. She had then hung it out the little window to dry, being careful that it didn’t fall. Finally she had settled down on the bed to search through the bedside table, hoping to find a book that she could read. However when all she found was a bible she decided that it must mean they realised that most servants couldn’t actually read so thereby had no need of a book.

When the clock reached 8.45 she decided to try and head down to the kitchen as Maggie had told her that the evening meal was at 9.00 and she didn’t want to be late and although it had only taken willow 5 minutes to get to the room she didn’t want to get lost. So she brushed her hair and then set off for the kitchen.

Finding the kitchen had been relatively easy. Willow had been right, simply follow the little corridors and it is quite easy to get about. The kitchen had the same warmth about it that it had had that morning, however whereas earlier pans had been cooking now just two large pans where cooking and Tara was now washing instead of peeling. Maggie was at the sink washing the plates as well with her back to Elizabeth.

“Ah Elizabeth, slightly early this time, I guess your stomach called you?” Elizabeth was slightly amazed that she had managed to know that it was her without turning away from the sink. “Your dress moves differently and sounds different than all my other girls and I knew it was not a rich enough material to be Miss Darla” finally turning to face Elizabeth “that’s how I knew it was you entering my kitchen”.

Elizabeth was slightly shocked Maggie could read her thoughts. She dismissed that idea straight away though and just realised that it probably didn’t take a genius to know what she was about to ask that question.
“You might as well sit yourself down at the table the rest will be here shortly. Most are helping the Chase family off”.

Elizabeth sat at a chair at the table. Suddenly the kitchen door opened making Elizabeth jump and a young girl about Elizabeth’s age with shoulder length brown hair walked in. The girl was carrying a tray with several crystal glasses on it. Carrying the tray over to Maggie without even noticing Elizabeth, the girl then sank into a chair at the other far end of the table.
Maggie turned to the girl, who suddenly sat up much straighter in the chair. “Amy, I am guessing by the fact that you have brought me the glasses that they have had enough, yes?”

“Yeah, the mayors gone now and Larry is helping Daniel set up the Chase’s carriage. Apparently the horses are being difficult. Master Liam and his wife are sat in the drawing room, with the Chases until there carriage is ready and Master William has excused himself, don’t think he can stand Miss Cordelia anymore, mind you I don’t blame him. That girls a bitch.”

“That she may be Amy, but she still deserves respect and service”

From the back door the short boy Elizabeth had met earlier and now knew as Jonathon entered. He had the same sad look on his face that he had had on before. He also sank into a chair next to Amy looking completely exhausted. Nobody spoke to him so the room stayed quite for a few minutes except for the sound of the dishes being washed and the pan bubbling on the stove.

Suddenly a bell rang above the door breaking the peace. Elizabeth looked at it not quite comprehending, then remembered what Willow had said about the bells.

Amy rose from her chair grumpily and smoothed out her dress. “Master William wants something, he’s in his study. Don’t worry I’ll get it.” With that the girl left the room. Elizabeth was unsure whom the last part was directed at. Who else could have gone?

Everyone sat quietly again and Elizabeth was unsure whether Jonathon had fallen asleep or not he was being very still. The kitchen door opened again, this time letting willow in. willow smiled at Elizabeth and then went to report everything to Maggie just like Amy had.

“The Chase’s have just left. Angel and Miss Darla are still in the drawing room but Miss Darla has told me to get their room ready. So I’ll go put the bedpans in their bed and extinguish their fire.” She smiled at Tara who was watching willow intensely. “Hi Tara, where’s Amy, I was sure she came in before me?”

“M-m-master w-w-William called her away”

Willow nodded then went to the stove and used some of the coals from it to fill two bedpans that were learnt against the wall. Carefully she then carried them to the wooden staircase that Elizabeth had come down.

At the same time Amy came back into the room “Master William would like some bourbon”

She reached a large bottle down from a shelf and another crystal glass and then placed them on a tray and excited the room the way she had came in.

As she was leaving two lads walked in from the back door. One was quite tall and slightly wide and well built with brown hair. His nose looked like it had been broken at one time. The other boy was short with spiky red hair. Both wore similar brown cord trousers and a grey shirt with stripes. Both boys were also covered in mud. They took off their boots at the door then came and sat at the table. The tall one sat in the seat that Amy had just left and the shorter one sat in a seat next to Elizabeth. Nodding at her, like it was totally normal to have a total stranger sat at the table and that it completely unfazed him.

The other boy was talking to Jonathon “man those horses are the worst beast ever, mind you they are just like the Chase family I can see how they get on so well. Mind you my sympathies go out to the Chase’s servants the shit that they have to put up with” Maggie hit him with her towel.

“Larry you will not speak ill of the Chases or anyone else for that matter” with that Tara came and sat at the table leaving a space between her and the tall boy, Maggie went to the stove and started serving up the food that was boiling in the pans. She placed a dish down in front of everyone then sat at the head of the table next to Jonathon. Elizabeth looked at the food in front of her. It was a stew that she assumed was made up of all the household leftovers and there was a serving of potatoes next to it. Although it was seconds she knew she wouldn’t go hungry.
Amy re-entered a few moments later with the empty tray. Placed the tray next to the sink and served herself a bowl of the stew then came and sat on the other side of Maggie.

Elizabeth was desperate to start eating as all she’d eaten in the last few hours was the apples Willow and her had stolen, however as no one else was eating she held off.

From the door that led to the main house that Amy had come through, Wesley entered. He looked exactly the same as he had before. He went to the stove served himself his meal and then went and sat at the other head end of the table next to Tara. The next second willow entered the room from the small wooden staircase carrying the two empty bedpans she placed them back up against the wall where she had found them. Served herself a bowl of food and went at sat at the table between Elizabeth and Amy. As there was a chair empty Elizabeth assumed that there was a person missing. However when Maggie started talking everyone turned to look at her.

“Before we say grace and eat, we have a new person at the table that is joining us. Everyone this is Elizabeth” Maggie pointed a long finger at her “I would like you all to introduce yourselves, she already knows willow and Wesley but everyone else.” The girl on Maggie’s right started.

“Hi Elizabeth I’m Amy Madison” Elizabeth smiled at her, and then looked at willow.
“You already know me but I don’t want to feel left out, so hi I’m Willow Rosenberg” Elizabeth stifled a little giggle.

Turning to her right Elizabeth looked at the short boy next to her.
He nodded and gave a little smile “oz” so this was the boy that willow spoke so fondly of. He seemed perfect for willow after the short time Elizabeth had got to know her.

By-passing Wesley she looked at the shy girl who was currently looking at the table. She looked up at Elizabeth “h-h-hi i'm t-t-Tara McClay.” Elizabeth smiled at her and the girl smiled back.

Next the tall boy was looking at her “hi I’m Larry Blaisedale, it very nice to meet you”. Elizabeth gave him a slightly smaller smile than what she had given Tara.


The boy that she already met gave her a shy smile then looked at Maggie “we’ve already met”.

Once everyone was introduced Maggie said grace and everyone tucked into the food. It was a wonderful atmosphere to be apart of as everyone talked toeach other as they ate, willow kept talking to Elizabeth. When everyone had eaten Maggie and Tara stared to clean the table and the dishes. Some of the people stayed round the kitchen but as there was nothing left for willow to do, her and Elizabeth went up the wooden stairs to their rooms.

Willow went into her own room which was next door to Elizabeth’s and then a minute later knocked on Elizabeth’s door. Elizabeth handed her the dress she had cleaned and picked her own up and said thank you.

Thinking of what a nice night she had had she climbed into bed and smiled at the lovely people she had met tonight, and only slightly dreaded what tomorrow may bring.

A/N: I promise Williams coming soon!