Author's Chapter Notes:
Promise and update and here it is.. sorry for the out cry from the last chapter. The more you review the quick I can get these updates up!!! Not bribary at all!!! Hope you like.
Chapter 30: Too late

Looking around at her family, she saw Giles sat reading a tattered book that she knew he had read at least several times. Anya sat trying to nurse her small child and with another on the way. Dawn sat by the fire writing in one of her books, and though her mother tried to hide it, Buffy could tell that she was she was counting their money to try and make it last as long as they possibly could.

Looking back at the man knelt in front of her; she saw his finery and riches spread before her. Buffy knew what she had to do. It was her right to do what ever she could to help her family.

Heaving a sigh, she let the last of her dreams sink away. “Yes. My answer is yes.” As she said the words, a single tear leaked down her cheeks. A part of her was now lost for ever.

Standing up Riley embraced her in his arms. “You have made me a very happy man.”

Forcing a smile onto her face she looked at him.

“Well them my wonderful fiancée, would you like to do the honours and tell your family?”

“Sure.” Holding back the tears, over what her life had become, Buffy turned away from Riley. “Mom, Giles, Alex, everyone. Would you come over here?”

“Of course darling.” Placing the coins back where they where from Joyce walked over to the kitchen area where everyone was gathered around the table.

“Mom, everyone. I would like you to meet, Mr. Finn. My fiancé.”

Everyone stared wide eyes at the couple.

“What? Buff what’s going on?”

Buffy looked at her older brother. “I’m getting married Alex.”

“But why? Sorry Finn, I don’t mean to disrespect you. Just trying to work out why, she’s never mentioned you before.”

“I assure you that I have your sister’s best interests at heart. I love your sister and intend to marry her as soon as the vicar sees fit.”

Buffy tried not to look down trodden as she heard this. Could she really do this, could she really marry him for the sake of her family? Would she lose all semblance of herself if she did this?

It was Anya that broke the tension around the room. “Well I think they are going to be very happy together and have lots of fat children and live a happy life with lots of money.” Bored by the whole event, she went and sat back down with Anne.

Riley turned to look at his bride-to-be. “I am afraid my love, that I must leave you. But I will see you tomorrow. You won’t have to work down that mine much longer. No wife of mine will be seen working.”

Smiling, she walking him to the door. Leaning over he went to kiss Buffy who turned her head at the last minute so he only kissed her cheek. Riley didn’t seem to notice her frosty behaviour towards him. “Goodnight, my love.”

“Goodnight.”

Closing the door she let her back slump against it. Suddenly everyone started talking at her at once.

“Buffy? Why are you marring that man? Buffy?”

“Buff? What’s going on? Is there something you aren’t telling us?”

“Buffy?”

Buffy looked up at them all with tear-y eyes. “Why can’t you all just mind your own business and stay out of mine?” Pushing past them all she ran to the room she shared with her sister.

As she lay on bed, Dawn creep quietly into the room and sat with her. “Buffy, why won’t you talk to me?”

“What’s there to talk about Dawnie?”

“Why are you marrying him, Buffy? I know you don’t love him.”

“It’s my duty Dawn. Love means nothing. He can keep the whole family comfortable. No more worrying about money. I have to do this for the family.”

“But you don’t love him.”

“I can learn. He’s tolerable.”

“Buffy, you can’t do this. I can’t let you. Please. You will be miserable. Don’t do it Buffy.”

“Please go Dawn. I want to be alone.”

Standing up Dawn walked to the door. As she stood by the door, she looked at her sister led there, still as stone. “What about Spike?”

“He made his choice Dawn. I wasn’t part of it. Now please leave me alone.”

Quietly Dawn left the room. Buffy didn’t move for the rest of the night.

***
By the following morning, Buffy had accepted her decision. Though she did not love Riley, she knew it was a good match and he would do her and her family well.

Dressing she set off to work.

Once at the mines she managed to avoid Riley for the entire morning. Finding Faith they went down together.

“Yo, B! Why didn’t you tell me about you and Finn boy?”

“You know about that?”

“Talk of the town. So why didn’t you tell me, trying to hurt my feelings girl?”

Buffy looked down. “Just didn’t think it was something we needed to talk about.” The two girls didn’t talk much for the rest of the day.

***
Dawn was restless. Alex and Buffy had gone to work, though Dawn knew her sister would not be working there much longer. Anya and Anne where sleeping, she was unsure where Giles was and her mom was working in the kitchen.

Picking up the basket, she decided she would go and pick some more berries.

As she walked down the lane she thought about Buffy. She knew he sister was not happy, just as much as she knew why she was doing this. She also knew her sister still loved Spike and that Spike still loved her. She had seen that in his face and the way he looked at her that day they had come around to the house.

As she was lost in thought she wondered aimlessly up the lane. When she reached the hill she saw a well-dressed man sat on the top of his horse. Running up to him she called out.

“Spike!”

Hearing his nice name, William spun around, sure that he would see Buffy running up the hill towards him. His heart dropped as instead of Buffy he saw Dawn running towards him.

“Hello William.”

“You know it’s me?” Climbing down from his horse he stood on eye level with her.

“I have known since the first time you came round. I am not as stupid as I look, you know. I know what happened between you and my sister.”

“Did she tell you?”

“No! She isn’t telling anyone anything. She is so secretive these days.”

“I can’t seem to get close to her. She doesn’t want to talk to me. I’ve tried. I need to explain.”

“Spike you have to go talk to her. Tell her how you feel. Please.” Dawn looked at him with pleading eyes.

“I don’t think it will change anything Dawn.”

“Please. Just try.”

Heaving a sigh, he looked at the girl in front of him who was looking at him with pleading eyes. He really was a sucker for Summers women. “Where will I find her?”

Dawn smiled at him. “She’s at work. She works down the pits. She finishes soon though. Go!”

“Thank you Pigeon.” Climbing up onto his horse, Spike spared one last look at Dawn before riding off at full speed.

***
As reached the outskirts of the mine, Spike slowed his horse down. Climbing down he brought the reins over the head and walked next to his horse.

As people started milling out of the mine courtyard, Spike looked over at each woman. He couldn’t see Buffy anywhere, everyone look so similar.

***
Buffy hurried out from the pit. Making sure that once again she didn’t see Riley, it was too soon after his proposal for her.

As she walked back out onto the crowded street, she saw the last person she thought she would see. Walking with his horse, she saw William.

Stood behind him, she knew he didn’t recognise her. Her whole body was covered in black soot making it impossible to see her features.

Walking up to him she ran her hand down the horse’s neck, causing him to whinny.

“Hello Spike.”

Hearing Buffy’s voice William spun round.

“Buffy! Hello.”

“I was talking to the horse.” Refusing to look at him, she carried on rubbing the horse.

“I didn’t recognise you Buffy. What are you doing here?”

“I work here Spike. I couldn’t work in a house again.” Looking up she looked in to Spikes eyes. He could see the emotion swirling in her eyes.

“We need to talk Buffy.”

“What is there to talk about William?” Her voice became sad and quiet as she looked at him.

Reaching out, he held her hand. “Buffy. What can I do? To make it up to you?”

As she looked at him a single tear ran down her check. It washed away the soot on her face, creating a streak of ivory against the ebony of her face. Her eyes where large as she looked at him.

“It’s too late. It’s too late for all of it.” As more tears started to fall, Buffy turned and ran at full speed away from him.

Spike was left stood there, watching as she ran away from him. He knew he would probably never see her again. All was now lost. Buffy was right, it was too late.

Climbing up onto his horse, he slowly trotted back to the manor. Alone.

TBC….

Please leave me a review, and thank you to everyone who reviewed the last chapter!!!!