A/N: Thank you sooo much to the people who reviewed me last time... Sorry this chapter is a day later than what I said it would be I have had a few thigs going on at home! Sundays post will also be on Monday as I am away this weekend... seeing JM in concert! Not that you all needed to know that! Anyhoo despite it being a day late I hope you all enjoy it anyway! p.s. please all keep review it has made me write a lot fast and I have got LOADS written!!!!


Chapter 4: working

That morning at 5.00am Elizabeth’s alarm went off. While hiding under the covers Elizabeth was glad that her mother had insisted she had taken the clock else she would have been late today, yet at the same time she was hating the thing and secretly damming it to hell for having the nerve to wake her up in the first place. Leaning over she turned the large brass clock off and led quietly listening to the noise outside her door. It sounded to her like she was one of the last to get up. Getting out of bed and dressing quickly into the simple uniform that Willow had worn the night before and tying her hair into a tight knot at the back of her head she hurried out of the room and down the wooden staircase to the kitchen. Elizabeth now knew this way quite well and hoped that she would soon know the whole house that well.

In the kitchen sat most of the people that she had met last night. The only people that Elizabeth could really see missing where Larry, Jonathon and Amy. Maggie stood at the stove in front of a large pan. She served a ladle full of what looked like porridge into a bowl and handed it to Elizabeth.

“Come on girl you can’t be standing around staring all day. There’s lots of work to do.”

Elizabeth sat down next to willow again and ate her porridge quickly. Willow chatted to her as she ate while Elizabeth nodded and grunted in confirmation

“Did you sleep well?… did you find the kitchen alright?… are you ready for today?…did you like everyone last night?… are you ready to meet the masters?”

“Willow that is quite enough idle chitchat from you. Neither of you have time for talking. Elizabeth when you have finished that go and help Amy in the dinning room. Tara will show you where it is. Tara you will help there as well. Willow you will go and get Jonathon he is outside in the vegetable patch. You will tell him to clean the fireplace grate in the living room. You will then change out of your uniform and do the market run. Do you all understand.” This was followed by two “yes miss” and one “yes Maggie” all then exited the kitchen.

Following Tara out of the room Elizabeth was amazed at the splendour of everything around her. She had never been out this door of the kitchen before and found everything around her breathtaking. Laying the table Elizabeth found as quite a challenge as there were so many knife and forks and spoons to go on the table. So although it was only laid for three it was a mammoth job and Elizabeth was starting to dread the day when she would have to lay the table for a big occasion like last night. Taking to Amy and Tara, Elizabeth found out that both had been working at the house for a number of years now and that neither had much family, as both of their mothers were dead. Elizabeth felt sorry for them and bit guilty that she had had a good life until now and that this was the first time she had ever had to work before and that she was finding it strange. She did not share any of this with Amy or Tara she though that best to keep to herself. The more experienced she seemed the longer she would survive here.

All three girls headed back to the kitchen to get further jobs off Maggie. Elizabeth was just about to slump into a chair when Maggie turned to her.

“No time for that Miss Summers. I have a lot of jobs lined up for you all” and she did, she really did.

----------------------------------

William had woken early and could not get back to sleep. All night he had dreamed of the girl he had seen briefly yesterday. Every time he had closed his eyes he had seen the way her golden hair had bounced round her shoulders framing her face, every expression that beautiful face had made. The way her cute little giggle had cheered up the entire dreary servant corridor. The way she had smelled, a mix of vanilla and rose with just the hint of rosemary. She was every way describable beautiful. She was an angel from heaven above. She was haunting his every sense.

Yet still William did not know who she was. His angel had managed to elude him. Maybe she was a there purely to torment him. Let him see what heaven looked like and then take it away from him, never to see it again.

Last night when he had been unable to find her again he had decided to try and get willow alone. As it had been willow he had seen the girl giggle with so if anybody should know who she was it should be her. However try as he might, and try he did, he could not get willow alone all last night. So therefore had been unable to quiz her about the girl so still this morning she remained a mystery haunting his dreams and every waking moment.

He had tried to get willow alone when he had left the Chases to go to his study. But it had not been willow that had come to serve him but Amy. Thinking quickly he had asked for some bourbon and had sat there last night drinking it and drawing the girls likeness.

Today however he would find out who she was. He had been lonely too long now, every since Dru… no he would not dwell on things that cannot be changed

Heading down to the dining room to join the great poof and Darla for breakfast he was sure he could smell her scent, and simply put it down to his mind playing tricks on him.

-----------------------------------

Elizabeth did not help serve with the breakfast. Instead she had been given many other jobs to do. By lunchtime she was exhausted and did not honestly know how she would be able to carry on this afternoon let alone do this everyday. She had managed not to meet any of the masters except for Darla as of yet. Something she was extremely grateful for as she was still managing to forget certain rules, mainly the one about not talking. Elizabeth had worked harder that morning than she had most of her life. She had helped lay the table in the dining room for breakfast, then she had gone with Tara and helped dress Miss Darla. While they had all eaten there breakfasts she had gone and changed all the beds. She had then helped clear the table when everyone had left the dining room. She had mopped the grand entrance hall and sweeping staircase, helped Jonathon dig up the rest of the vegetable ready for the day. Thinking that she would get a sit down at about that time she had gone back to the kitchen where Maggie had given her more jobs the list was endless.

It was two o’clock now and Elizabeth hadn’t eaten anything since that bowl of porridge this morning. Her stomach felt like her throat had been cut. So she headed to the kitchen in the hope that Maggie would feed her instead of giving her more jobs.

--------------------------------

In his study again William decided to try once more to get willow. He had rang for service six times already today in hope that willow would come, he was desperate to find her and ask her about the girl now. But luck had not been in his favour and each time Amy had come to his service. He was rapidly running out of things that he could ask for so hoped that it would be willow that came this time. He rang the bell and went and stood at his window looking down at the ground and watching the short stable boy Daniel trying to get his horse, Spike, to go into the field. Just then Liam walked into his study without knocking and sat himself down on Williams chair behind his desk. 'Bollocks what does the great poofster want now?'

-----------------------------

Elizabeth had just sat down and had been given something to eat when the bell above the door rang. Indicating that someone in Williams study needed service. Maggie turned to look at the bell and stared at it a second as though she had never seen or heard one before and that it was an alien concept before turning to Elizabeth.

“Master William requires something again. Amy is busy, you can go and see to him”

Elizabeth gave one last look at her food before standing up smoothing out her dress and hair and slipped out the door and headed to Williams study.

------------------------------------

William looked at Liam who just stared back hoping he could find someway to get rid of him soon. Preferably before the servant he had called, hopefully willow, came. Liam wasn’t saying anything he was simply staring at William.

“Bloody hell you gonna say something or just keep starin’ “.

Liam gave a slight smile that looked almost evil and full of malicious intent. “Well . . .”

Just at that moment there was a slight almost timid knock at the door. William turned his whole body away from Liam and turned towards the door. “Enter”. The door pushed open but William was not expecting the person who walked into his room. It was not red or Amy or even Tara, it was his angel. Here in his room.