A/N: Thank you once again to everyone who has reviewed, all feedback has been gratefully appreciated!
***

Chapter 6: Is this love?

Although Elizabeth had thought that her first day had been hard she had soon come to realise that that had been classed as relatively easy compared to what the next few weeks had been like. Her first day she assumed therefore must have been like a trial run but she had survived and she just kept on surviving. She had a reason to survive now, she had Angel.

After their first meeting that day Elizabeth had barely spent one moment when Angel was not taking up her thoughts. She thought about him during everything that she did. She still did not know whether he felt the same about her but she hoped that he did even just a little bit. If there was ever a job to be done near Master Liam then she would always be the first in line to go and serve him. She knew that he had Darla and that that in it's self should mean that she shouldn’t go near him but some how it didn’t seem to matter. Nor did the fact that she was just a servant and he the master of the house and very high up in society. Nothing mattered and nothing stopped her feeling the way that she felt.

She had been at the house for 4 weeks now and had learnt her way round it seamlessly. She knew every servant passage and where everyone would lead. She had also learnt everybody’s personal traits although as of yet she still could not read Master William.

He was away from the house a lot of the time and would hardly ever spend any time with his parents except at meals. She had realised early on as well that she had never once heard him call his parent’s mother or father. It was always with the rightful names nor did he seem to show any compassion for them. She was unsure as to how he felt towards her as well. There were times when she was sure that he must hate her for some reason she did not know about, yet then he would contradict that thought completely. There would be times when he would just stare at her and Elizabeth was sure he was reading her and could seeing straight to her soul. Then there would be other times when the second she would enter a room he would immediately excuses himself from it. His behaviour was quite confusing and Elizabeth really didn’t know what to make of it. However she had now been trained well and never once did she pass judgement or share her opinions out loud.
With the passing of time she was sure that she would learn to understand his behaviour and that one day it may all make sense to her.

At the moment however she was not concentrating on what William said and did, she was putting all her energies towards Angel. It was evening now and Elizabeth knew that Master Liam would be settling down soon in his study reading a novel which at the moment happened to be La Nausee by Jean-Paul Sarte, and would then be calling for his evening drink. Which of course she would willingly serve him. She headed back to the kitchen ready for when the little bell above the door would ring.

***
William was finding this hard. Although Elizabeth was near him every day it was not him that she favoured. It was nancy boy, and it wasn’t like he hadn’t done this before. How many servants had this household gone through? Servants who had thought they had seen something special in Liam and then been sorely proved wrong. Then they would leave quickly afterwards due to the shame and no longer being able to show their face in this household. Yet still the rest of the servants called him Angel. That was a laugh; Liam was no more an angel than he was! If truth were told William had never taken much interest in what Liam did with the servants it wasn’t any of his business, if they were too thick to see what he was doing to them it wasn’t Williams fault. This girl however was different. She had caught William attention and he hoped that she didn’t fall to the same tricks that all the others had. The brooding and distressed puppy dog eyes that Liam gave them that seemed to make them all melt yet at the same time he always managed to portray a mysterious air that made girls seem to fall at his feet. He simply hoped that she didn’t fall at his feet he didn’t want her hurt, even if couldn’t have her he certainly didn’t want Liam to do anything that would hurt her. William never even entertained the theory that Liam could possible care for her, it was impossible, Liam cared for no one but himself and it could sometimes be argued that he cared for Darla.

What William found the hardest was during the daytime. When he and Elizabeth were alone it was wonderful, there was nothing there to distract her and he could just look at her and he would be certain that she was looking right back. But then there were other times when he couldn’t even look at her because he knew all he would see would be her feelings for someone else and that’s even harder to see than simply seeing that she had no feeling for him. He spent so much time away from the house now; everyday he would go somewhere else. Simply to be away from Liam and Elizabeth. He wondered at times what she must think of him, but then passed that thought off knowing he was never around enough for her to properly form an opinion. At least not a very good one of him.

Although he liked Elizabeth a lot he could not interfere with the doomed path that she was on. He could only watch from a distance, cursing because he knew what was going to happen to her he just hoped above all else that he was wrong about Liam this time.
Sitting back down at his desk with the bottle of bourbon on the table in front of him William sat down and got out his note pad and decided to carry on the poetry that he had started at least that would occupy his mind so that it would not dwell on things that could not be changed.

****
Elizabeth had just got back to the kitchen when, as expected, Master Liam’s little bell started to ring. She looked towards Maggie who was staring at her as though she thought Elizabeth had somehow made the bell start to ring.

“Well while I’m standing I may as well go get that, so the rest of you don’t need to get up” Elizabeth headed over and picked up the tray knowing what Angel would want.

“Fine, but how do you know it’s a drink that he’ll want?”

“Just guessing and as you’re always telling me miss Walsh better to be prepared.” With that she turned and headed towards the door. Ignoring willow and Amy’s giggles and knowing glances at each other. That had known for a week now that she liked Angel and that he possibly liked her back.

In the hallway and safe distance away from the kitchen she carefully set down the tray and took out a small bottle of perfume that she had tucked away in the fold of her dress. Her mother had made the scent for her and she always tried to look her best for Angel in the evenings. This was a time just for the two of them. In three days she would be seeing her mother again she would have to remember to ask her for some more as she had gone through it quicker than she would have expected. Although she was enjoying the job that was the part that she was missing the most, only getting one day off a month to go and visit her family.

Splashing a little of the perfume onto her neck she carefully placed the bottle back into the fold of the dress. She then smoothed out her hair to make sure that there were definitely no stray hairs sticking out. She then quietly picked the tray back up and headed up the staircase.

Darla was away this week and so there had been slightly less jobs than was normal as it seemed that Darla liked everything done for her, whereas Master Liam did not mind doing things for himself and Master William was never around to have things done for him. Therefore due to the little less work Elizabeth was slightly less tired this evening and even had a slight bounce in her step.

Reaching Angel’s door she knocked quietly and her heart leapt into her mouth while she waited for a reply even though she had brought him his drink many times before tonight felt different somehow. On hearing the command she gently pushed the door open and stepped into his cosy warm study before shutting the door behind her.

****
A/N: Please now go review!!!!!! The more reviews the faster I write! so please review!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!