Chapter 5

They didn’t even bother to get out of the car when they pulled up outside the first place on their list.

“That, is not a cottage!” Buffy ducked her head to look out of the window and frowned.

“I’d say that was a 1950’s terrace house – come on…where’s the next one?” Spike asked, and indicated to pull out.

“Lee. We need to get to the main road, and take the…hold on, the B239 to Brookfield, then take the left hand turning to Shipley, and it’s the first on the right after Beckett’s farm”

Spike easily found the place and they pulled up. The first thing they noticed was the smell of the farm when they got out of the car.

“Pooh! What a stink!”

“Does a bit, doesn’t it!”

“A bit – have you got blocked nasal cavities – Ew no, come on, I couldn’t live here, I’d feel permanently sick!” Buffy headed back to the car.

Spike got in straight after her.

“We’d get used to it, I suppose”

Buffy just ignored him and picked up the notebook and said,

“Right, for the next one, we need to go back to that B239 road, but take the right hand turn off for Crediton and Bentley Heath”

Half way there, due to major road works, they got hopelessly lost in the tiny little back lanes.

Spike stopped the car under some trees and grinned at Buffy

“What?” she smiled back.

“We’re all alone…”

“And?”

Spike leaned across and kissed her.

“Hmm, Sp- hmm- oh, but- ooooohhhhh, Sp-Spike, we………hmm, we can’t – not here?”

Buffy tried to lean out of his embrace, but she was pressed against the car door and Spike easily sought her lips again, kissing and nuzzling her neck, making her shiver with want and delight, after all, it had been over two days since they’d last made love.

“Hmm, why not………we’re all alone...relax………”

“Ooooohhhhh!”

“There…feel good babe?” Spike ran his hand up her silky soft thighs, which Buffy readily parted for him.

All she could do was nod.

Sneaking his fingers inside her panties, he could feel was already getting quite wet for him as he teasingly slid his hand back and forth over her smooth labia.

With his other hand, Spike found the lever at the side of the seat and pulled it up, and immediately Buffy felt herself lying down.

Her hands weren’t idle either, and she unzipped him, his monster sized erection practically leapt into her hand and he hissed as her fingers nearly closed round his steely hardness.

“Please babe, I’m not going to last long!”

Buffy was ready to go off like a rocket herself, and he quickly manoeuvred himself and was inside her in a trice, although it was cramped to say the least, Spike pounded into her, and Buffy managed to get her feet up and rest them on the dashboard!

“Babe…can’t hold…back…ooh!”

“Go on, yeah, don’t stop!”

Spike felt the first tight clench of her inner muscles and he felt himself swell and he thrust up as hard as he could, coming with a loud gasp.

Spike collapsed for a few seconds and then Buffy let out a muffled yell.

“Wha-what is - oh!” he withdrew from her and started to laugh, Buffy put her hand on her chest and then suddenly checked to see if the door was locked.

“It’s only a cow, it’s hardly likely to try and open the door is it!” Spike hitched his jeans up and pulled on his sweater.

“It gave me a – oh god!”

MMMMMMMOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Buffy saw the huge nostrils sniffing at the car, and urged Spike to get going.

“That’s for you being a randy sod!” Buffy said, but she was smiling.

“Problem is…that’s just whetted my appetite!” Spike said, with a wink.

“How about if we call it a day, and go back to the hotel?”

“But what if Giles comes back?”

“He won’t. Well we can ask at reception, or, if we see the children’s swimming costumes in the sink, we know he’s been back and took them to the museum, we could have a couple of hours to ourselves…” Buffy didn’t need any more persuading…

“Okay, let’s go!”

As they walked into the hotel, one of the chambermaids said,

“Oh, you’ve just missed the children and their uncle, they left about ten minutes ago, they’re going to the museum!”

“Oh, right, thanks!” Buffy said, following Spike up stairs, two at a time!

They spent the afternoon leisurely making love, up against the door, on the floor, on the bed and even in the shower!

They fell asleep and Spike woke, it was 4.40pm

“Babe, go get dressed, I’ve just heard Giles’ car pull up”

Buffy went into the bathroom and did just that, Spike was just filling the kettle when he heard the key in the lock.

“Hey!”

“DADDY – look what I drawed!” Izzie said, proudly holding up a multi-coloured scribble.

“You mean what you drew – let me look. Did you do that? Aren’t you a clever girl! – What have you got Billy?”

“Well, there was this I spy thing, the book says to look out for things in the museum, and each one you find you tick off, if you find them all, you get a prize, look, I won a model lifeboat”

“Clever lad – tea Giles?”

“Great”

Buffy came out of the bathroom and greeted her children and Giles.

“So, did you have a fruitful day?” Giles asked, not wanting to say too much in front of the children

“Not really, to be truthful, well, I think really in our heart of hearts, we know we’ve found the one we want, so…you tell them Spike!”

“Well, tomorrow, we thought we could all go see the cottage we’d like to buy – what do you say?”

“I think it’s a jolly good idea!” Billy said, and they all laughed.

*************


The following morning after breakfast they set off to Honeysuckle Cottage, with Giles sitting in the front and Buffy sitting in the back with the children.


It took them a little over an hour to get there, and Spike pulled up outside.

“There, this is it! Welcome to Honeysuckle Cottage! Buffy said enthusiastically.

Giles took off his glasses and cleaned them putting them back on slowly.

“Um…you do realise that the roof needs re-thatching, it’ll cost thousands” he slowly and carefully made his way down the weed-choked path. Buffy carried Izzie, and Spike followed with Billy.

“Yes, well, never mind that, you should see the inside! Exposed oak beams, inglenook fireplace, huge kitchen with a huge fireplace and bread oven!” Buffy said quickly opening the front door.

Spike saw his son look up at one of the upstairs windows.

“What do you think son, would you like to live here?” Spike had his hand on Billy’s shoulder. Without smiling Billy said,

“Will I have a room of my own?”

“Of course, and you’ll be allowed to have it painted in the colour of your choice too, what do you say?”

“That’ll be nice…can I see the big bed now?”

“Yes, of course you – um, how did you know about that?” Spike realised that they’d been very careful not to mention anything in front of the children in case they changed their minds, so Billy hadn’t heard about the huge four-poster from them.

Billy shrugged and said,

“I don’t know, I just do. Come on” and he went inside.

Spike went into the lounge where Buffy and Giles were, with Izzie sitting in the inglenook.

“Isn’t it beautiful – it dates back centuries – come on through to the kitchen!” Buffy lead the way and found Spike trying to shoo out a pigeon that had come in through a tiny broken window. He opened the back door with a huge rusty key, and as soon as it was open, the bird flapped out

As he was shutting the door, he fancied he saw something out of the corner of his eye, down the bottom of the garden and did a double take, but he saw nothing. It must have been one of the very tall overgrown weeds that had moved in the breeze.

Buffy was babbling on about how the place had been added onto, sounding like the estate agent’s printout about the cottage!

“Hey, you’re the ones that are buying the place – if you like it…it’ll mean a lot of work though” Giles said, smiling

“We know, but well, I love it!”

Izzie came in and held her arms up and Buffy picked her up.

“Did we tell you about the huge big bed – goodness knows how they got it upstairs, we reckon they must have built the cottage around it, let’s go up…where’s Billy – Spike, where’s Billy?”

“I think he’s upstairs already, he um…”

“He what?”

“He seemed to know all about the big bed, he asked if he could come and see it, did you mention anything to him?”

Buffy frowned, and said,

“Not a word”

“I asked him and he shrugged said he just knew”

“Izzie…come and look at this big cat!” Billy called from upstairs, and she wriggled in her mother’s arms, so Buffy put her down to scurry off upstairs.

“Do you think it’s something to do with his, you know, ‘powers?’ – We’ve seen precious little of anything from him since you changed”

“Could be…oh what was that?” There was a loud thud from upstairs and Buffy and Spike went up.

“Everything okay - we heard a thump! – Oh my, what a big cat!”

Buffy squatted and carefully went to stroke the huge marmalade cat. It lazily blinked at her with his huge green eyes and it purred like an outboard motor rubbing itself against her legs. She fussed it and then it padded out of the room.

Spike glanced out of the window into the back garden, and again he thought he saw something, especially as some particularly tall cowslips were waving around more than others.

His reverie was broken by the sound of Giles laughing while looking at the big bed in the front bedroom.

Spike turned to go out of the room and saw Billy standing in the doorway.

“What do you think son, chosen your room yet?”

Again without smiling Billy shrugged

“I don’t mind”

“Are you okay – don’t you want to live here?” Spike asked, smoothing Billy’s hair. Buffy noticed them and excused herself from Giles and came into the room.

“Everything okay Billy – or don’t you like it?”

“It’s fine mommy, honestly”

“It’s just you’re being a bit quiet, say if you don’t want to live here, we don’t want you to be unhappy, son” Spike added

“I really, really don’t mind. I think it’ll be an adventure”

Buffy and Spike looked at each other, then Giles called them.

“You see this bath, my great-grandmother had one just like it!” Buffy wandered out to the bathroom, and Spike ruffled Billy’s hair.

“Really – well Giles, what do you think of the place then?”

“Well, like I say, it’s going to take a lot of hard work and money, but if it’s what you want, then I say go for it!”

“Come on, we’ve still got time to go into town and put an offer in at the estate agents. You’ll look after Billy and Izzie while we do that, won’t you Giles?” Spike asked, and Giles said he’d be glad to.

Dropping Giles and the children off at some park gates practically opposite the Estate Agents, Buffy and Spike said they’d catch up with them later, when they’d seen about the cottage.

Spike parked the car and he and Buffy walked hand in hand to the office. Buffy hesitated outside.

“Do you think we are doing the right thing?”

“Have you changed your mind?”

“No, it’s just, well – I don’t know…going to be so different!”

“It’ll mean some BIG changes alright – look, nothing is written in stone here babe, we can always pull out, it’s not as if we’ll be letting anybody down. Lets go in and put in an offer, see what they say”

Buffy nodded and they went into the office.

They sat down, and was told somebody would be with them shortly.

After about five minutes, a friendly looking man invited them into his office.

“Good afternoon, now, I understand you are interested in a property we have on our books, one um, Honeysuckle Cottage, Netherbourne, is that right?” he smiled at the couple.

“That’s right, yes” Buffy and Spike nodded

“I see, well, I can’t see an asking price, so if you’ll just bear with me, I’ll telephone the vendor” he flicked a switch on the phone and the dialling tone could be heard, then the little multi-tone beeps as the number was dialled, as soon as it was answered, he picked up the receiver. It was on speakerphone so they could hear.

“Riverside Residential Nursing home, can I help you?”

“Ah, good afternoon, my name is Andrew Perry, I represent Denning and Barton Estate Agents, could I possibly speak to a Miss Emily Clariborne please – it regards a property belonging to her there is some interest being shown in it and-“

“I’m sorry Mr..Mr?”

“Perry, Andrew Perry”

“I’m sorry Mr Perry, but Miss Clariborne passed away a few months ago, all her effects are being dealt with by her solicitors, if you give me one moment……………………
Ah, here you are, Messer’s Bright, Bright and Johnson, there’s a branch in the High Street, Exeter – would you like their telephone number?”

“Please………555 5042, right, thankyou, bye”

The man looked at Buffy and Spike.

“Did you get all that – look, this may take some time, could go have a coffee and come back in say……half an hour or so?”

*******

They crossed the road to the park and went and had an ice cream with Giles and the children.

“It should be better for you this way” Giles said.

“How do you mean?” Buffy asked

“Well, if there is no proper asking price, it will just go to what it’s worth, and they’ll take into account how much renovation needs doing”

Three quarters of an hour later, Spike and Buffy went back.

They were ushered into Mr Perry’s office to be told that the solicitors had been instructed to accept any reasonable offer after a survey, and that the money was going to animal charities.

“Would you like us to carry out the survey for you – I could do it tomorrow morning, we have a surveyor free”

“That would great, yes, thankyou. Um, do you want us there or…could you contact us – how long will it take?”

“Actually, not long, it’s usually a couple of weeks, but we make a point of visiting all our properties that haven’t sold after a few months, just to keep on top of things, I could ring you after lunch tomorrow”

“I tell you what, I’ll ring you, that way we won’t be stuck in the hotel all day waiting” Spike said.

“As you wish…”

*****************


2pm the following day.

“Hello, I’m phoning about the valuation on Honeysuckle Cottage, Netherbourne. We came in yesterday and…you have oh good, how much?
It was all Spike could do not to burst out, ‘Is that all!’. I see, well, if that’s the value we’d like to put in an offer…yes we will, bye then”

Spike put the phone down and grinned. He went into the hotel lounge where everybody was waiting.

“Well?”

“£35,000, they know it needs re-thatching, re-wiring, the plumbing doing, anyway, I’ve put in an offer we need to go sign some papers, now”