Spike stepped off the train and lit a smoke. Inhaling deeply he took a look around. There wasn’t much to see and from the strange looks he was getting he could tell he wasn’t going to fit in at all.

He’d just arrived in Sunnydale. He shuddered at the towns name, it was upbeat and perky, everything he wasn’t. His mother had sent him to live hear with a friend of hers from college. They’d kept in touch over the years and the friendship was still strong, so when his mom, Jenny, had told Joyce how much trouble her son was getting into in England, Joyce had stepped in and offered to house him until his studies where completed. Spike had been kicked out of every highschool that he’d been too and nowhere back home would take him now.

“Excuse me, are you William Calendar?” a soft voice asked.

He shot his smoke to the floor and put it out with his boot. “S’ me.”

The woman smiled. She had a pretty face even though she was much older and a nice smile. He liked her right away. She put out her hand. “I’m Joyce Summers, I’ve heard so much about you William.”

He shook her hand gently and offered her a small smile. “I go by Spike now Miss Summers.”

“Well Spike” she grimaced at the nickname “Let’s get you out of here and get you unpacked so you can enjoy the summer before school starts.” Jenny had sent Spike over early in hopes that he would make friends before starting his senior year.

He simply nodded and picked up his two huge duffel bags and she picked up the smaller one, they walked in silence to her car. He listened as she talked on the way to her house. She told him about her daughter Buffy and about the house rules.

He liked the way she spoke to him, like he was her equal instead of just some punk kid she had to put up with. She pulled into the driveway and handed him a set of keys.

“These are for you Spike. I’ve got to go to the grocery store, do you mind letting yourself in? I won’t be long at all.”

“S’alright Joyce, I’ll be fine. Which room am I in?”

“Your room is in the basement, it’s fully finished though, no concrete floors.”

Spike laughed and thanked her as he got out of the car. “Let me know when your back, I’ll help you unload the car.”

Joyce smiled and drove away. Spike turned around and sighed. 1630 Revello drive, my new home he thought as he walked to the door and unlocked it.

Stepping in he took a look around. It was a nice place, very homey looking. He grabbed his bags and lugged them downstairs. It was a decent place, he’d go get some paint tomorrow and paint on the weekend.

He’d just finished putting all his clothes and stuff away when he heard some yelling coming from the outside. He took the steps two at a time and slammed open the front door. The first thing he saw was an over-sized nancy boy, the second thing he saw was a girl with blonde hair huddled on the floor holding her face with both hands, the third thing he saw was red. Without a second thought he threw a punch to the poofters face and sent him flying down the stairs. He jumped off the porch and grabbed the guy by his shirt and dragged him to the curb.

“Come near that girl again and I’ll kill you you wanker.” he snarled as he watched the bigger man run and turned his attention to the quietly crying girl.

“You alright?” he asked and knelt down beside her. When she didn’t answer he put his finger under her chin and tilted her head up so that he could see her, even though she kept the right side of her face hidden behind her hair.

Spike thought his heart had stopped. She had large green eyes, soft, red lips and her hair was like gold. She was tanned a golden brown and she was petite. She was the most beautiful girl he had ever seen.

“I’m assuming your Buffy, right?”

She nodded her head and gave him a small, bitter smile. “You must be William, well William, welcome to Sunnyhell.”

“Thanks. My friends call me Spike by the way.”he said, offering her a hand up which she ignored. She stood up and looked him in the eyes. He noticed the large welt forming on her cheek now that her hair had been moved slightly and winced. If he ever saw that bloke again there would be hell to pay. He didn’t tolerate men who hit woman.

“I’m not your friend William.”she stated coldly and walked into the house.

Spike sighed, this was gonna be a long year. Too bad she wasn’t his type though, he liked her spunk.

He could hear water running in the kitchen and walked in.

"S'he your boyfriend?"

"Ya."

"Does he do that alot?"

"That's none of your fucken buisness."

She wrung out the cloth she'd been soaking in cold water and held it to her face.

"It is when I'm the one who's trying to help."

She narrowed her eyes. "Trying to help? TRYING TO HELP?" she yelled. "All you've done is probably made it worse."

"Why do you stay with him?" he asked, not caring that this line of questioning was royally pissing her off.

"I said it's none of your fucken business."

Just then the back door opened and Joyce walked in, stopping cold when she saw the mark on Buffy's face. Spike could see the panic in her eyes.

"What happened?" Joyce demanded.

Buffy just stood there, frozen.

"S' my fault Joyce. I was rummaging through my bags and i went to toss a book on my bed, I didn't know Buffy had come downstairs to introduce herself. The book hit her."

Joyce visibly relaxed. "Well spike, accidents happen. I have some advil upstairs, I'll go get you some sweetie. It will help with the swelling."

Once she was out of the room Buffy looked up at him. "Thank you." she whispered.

"Not a problem pet."

"It doesn't make us friends though."
And with that she walked upstairs leaving behind a frustrated Spike.