Spike got home about 15 hours later and crashed. His mom wasn’t home yet but she knew he had been on his way. He was dead to the world .He woke up a few hours later, skipped checking the messages and went somewhere he hadn’t been in a very long time.

“Hey ‘Da.”he said as he placed a flower on Ruperts stone. “I miss you so much. It still hurts, but I know you’re watching over me and mum, I can feel you.”
Spike sat down and leaned against the tombstone, staring at the night sky. He picked out an especially bright star and directed the conversation there. He always told himself that the brightest star in the sky was his ‘Da watching him, listening to him.

“I met a girl, I think you would have loved her. She’s smart and funny and brave.”

*So why aren’t you with her?* Spike also added what he thought his ‘Da would reply in their ‘conversations.

“Because I’m scared ‘Da.”he sobbed as the tears started to fall. “What if I turn out like him?”

**You wont. Your better than that. You always will be.**

“I cant let it go. I can’t forget what’s in my blood.”

**It’s not what’s in your blood that matters William, it’s what’s in your heart.**

“I think I’m falling for her but I don’t think im man enough to do anything about it. I already ran away from her once, I don’t want to do that again.”

**So don’t.**

“It’s not that simple ‘Da.”he sighed and stood up, “I’ll talk to you again soon.”he said to the stars as he walked away.


School was starting in a week, Spike and Joyce had been gone for 6 weeks but in two very different ways. Willow sat with Buffy at the coffee shop.

“Are you ever going to return his calls?”

“Ya, he’s still a friend Will, no matter what happened between us, it just wont be the same I think. I really needed him here.”

Willow touched Buffy’s hand across the table.

“He’s left you like a thousand phone messages Buffy. And you wont let anyone tell him what happened. You made his mom lie to him, that wasn’t right.”

Buffy sighed, she’d phoned Jenny to fill her in on the details of her mothers death and had begged her not to tell Spike. She had agreed reluctantly but hadn’t wanted to cause Buffy any unnecessary pain. She’d lied to Spike, telling him she had gone to visit an old friend in L.A.

Hank Summers had paid for everything and had arranged for Buffy’s name to go on the deed to the house, which he’d paid for in full. He’d also given her a credit card for everything she’d need to pay and get. He’d given her everything except for his presence. But he’d never really given her that. Buffy was dealing as best she could and doing better than anyone had given her credit for. She wasn’t upset at the loss, she just missed her mom. She wasn’t upset because she knew that in so many ways her mother was still with her and that she was in a good place. But the missing was terrible, she’d never felt so alone.

“Hey, you still with me Buffy?” Willow asked concerned.

“Ya, just spaced out I quess. I’ll talk to him when he gets here on Friday, k Wills?”

This seemed to appease her friend and she wouldn’t have to talk to Spike for another four days, they where only Monday.

Just then a soft voice interrupted them.

“Um Hi Willow, Hi Buffy.” The girls looked up into the shy face of Riley Finn.

“Hi.”they both answered.

“Um, I was just wondering if youd like to join me at the Bronze this Friday Buffy?”Riley asked looking down.

“I’d love too.”she answered brightly, shocking everyone, including herself.



Thanx for the reviews....